Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kelinmd

Trend Phobia! Marble?? Honed Granite?

KelinMD
10 years ago

About to embark on a major renovation.
My post concerns the kitchen. It seems I have been subliminally influenced by design trends via HGTV/mass media without even knowing it. Everyone will laugh at how stupid this is going to sound. Last year I drew up my "perfect kitchen" plan and started to explore Houzz, GW, etc for other ideas. I quickly discovered that my white, flat panel, shaker cabinets with (genius!) honed black granite on the perimeter and (brace yourself) carrera marble island were not only not original, they had become downright trite. I almost cried when I opened houzz and the lights I wanted were their cover photo, a sure sign the trend has jumped the shark. One by one, the ideas I thought were my own were revealed to be the next big thing and were on their way to being pass�. (I'll get white quartzite so it wont etch!)
Now I am paralyzed with indecision. Is carrera marble the harvest gold of the millennia? Sure seems like it. I feel like I don't trust my own judgement anymore...do I really like it or just like it because I'm seeing it everywhere? I don't want to put in the exact.same.kitchen. as every single person renovating in 2013. I'm so confused that I really don't even know what I'm asking.
Do you feel this color/materials combo will look dated in a few years? How do you avoid "dated" and "trendy" simultaneously? This renovation is a huge investment of time and money for us and I am really worried about screwing it up.

Comment (1)