Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiedo_gw

My $650 Kitchen Makeover

dixiedo
9 years ago

The hubs and I recently moved into a 175 year old house and couldn't wait to get our hands to work. First order of business was giving some attention to the kitchen which had recently (5 years?) been redone in a Tuscan type theme. While new appliances are on the agenda (read not in the current budget) and the dinosaur of a microwave will be replaced with an over-the-range one, we spent a total of $650 in here, did all of the work ourselves with the exception of the "soapstone" countertop which my brother who does millwork crafted for us. We are pretty pleased with the way it turned out.

Before:

After:

Here is a link that might be useful: Our House Blog

Comments (19)

• Alexander Timofeyev
    9 years ago

That's an amazing transformation. The island looks beautiful. Congrats!

I wish I were as handy, or had the time. :)

• caseykees
    9 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful!!

May I ask what kind of paint you used on your cabinets? I am painting mine and I am getting so frustrated. I bought new doors from barker door. When I prime them with Zinsser 1,2,3, they are smooth as can be. Have tried BM Satin Impervo Waterbourne, BM Aura, roller, brush, no matter what I do, they just look awful.

• Skypathway1
    9 years ago

Very smart choices - beautiful.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

dixie, that looks fantastic. Looked at your house's FB page. Gorgeous! Keep up the hard work.

caseykees, try adding Floetrol to your paint. It will help the brush marks lay down. When my sister had her cabinets painted, the painter said she would not be able to tell they had been brushed because he added Floetrol to the paint. He was right. You couldn't see brushmarks.

This post was edited by bbstx on Fri, Oct 10, 14 at 22:25

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you :)

caseykees: We used Cabinet Coat by Insul-x. I've read about it 1001 times on this website and finally our local Benjamin Moore store had it in stock. We primed with the Zinsser as well. We've painted cabinets 3 times in our lives, 1st was a waterbourne acrylic (awful, awful, awful), an oil-based SW (which held up pretty well but was a bear to work with) and lastly this. I'd recommend it 1000 times over! Hope that helps :)

• caseykees
    9 years ago

bbstx, I bought the bm extender for the aura. no luck. to be honest, I bought a quart of behr marquee paint last night and painted one door and it came out much better. maybe thinner paint just fits my painting style and know how. I really don't want to use behr paint, but I think I may just have too. So far, with the amount of money I have spent on paint, between not liking the color or the finish...I could have bought new cabinets. LOL

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Insl-X-Cabinet-Coat-1-gal-Kit-Includes-White-Trim-and-Cabinet-Enamel-with-Applicators-Sandpaper-and-Tack-Cloth-CC4510G99-1K/202494970

Caseykees, they have it on the HD website, maybe it is in your store or they can order it for you?? Its really good stuff!

• caseykees
    9 years ago

dixiedo, I picked up some cabinet coat this morning at my bm store. resanded all my doors AGAIN...and just painted my first door with the CC. crossing my fingers! LOL

another question, is one of the small cabinets on either side of your stove a pantry pullout? if so, do the contents get warm when the oven is on? I just purchased one at a habitat rehome store along with another base cabinet to put in place of our fridge which we moved to the other side of the kitchen. but now I am wondering if the contents will get warm next to the oven. :)

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yay caseykees... I hope the CC is working out for you!

As for the pull outs, ya know what? I have NO clue if things get warm in there lol! I will pop back on here tonight while I'm making dinner with the verdict ;) We keep our spices and cooking spray in there- I should see whats going on lol!!

• caseykees
    9 years ago

the CC is working a little better. They are the best they have looked. I can still see brush strokes, but not nearly as bad as with the other paints. I will need to make a decision on my base cabinets, because my intent was to paint them BM Wrought Iron. Which I don't think I can get tinted in the CC. I already have the Aura. I will probably get Floetrol (instead of the BM Extender) and try that in the Wrought Iron. I already had put the extender in the Chantilly Lace Aura so I did not want to add the Floetrol to it. I seriously have spent close to $500 on paint between changing my mind on the color and not liking the finish. LOL and my kitchen isn't that big! I should have just held out for new cabinets. hahahahahaha

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ey yi yi... gotta love "saving money". I know I could see some faint brush marks where I cut in, but when I went over them with a 4" foam roller they pretty much disappeared (2 coats).

Oh, and the sliding drawers don't get too warm.... A bit but not much ;)

• caseykees
    9 years ago

I am going to try rolling and see if I get better results. I am making a mess out of my new doors....

• caseykees
    9 years ago

I just did one with a foam roller. I'm trying not to look at it. LOL btw...I "liked" your FB page. Your house is so pretty. It looks like a Christmas movie type house!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Aww, thank you Hoping your doors are coming along.... try not to judge until you have 2 coats on them ;)

• sanjuangirl
    9 years ago

Very beautiful transformation! You certainly got a lot of bang for your buck.

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you sanjuangirl!!

• dixiedo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Caseykees- how's it coming along?

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Nice improvements. I agree with cheap budgets.

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

Lovely. Nice work!