Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dalerb66

New kitchen: modern and warm

dalerb66
14 years ago

This is the result of a whole home remodel. Everything in the kitchen, from floors to drywall to windows and doors, is all new.

The photographs were taken by a professional photographer on behalf of my architect. They're now part of his portfolio and website. Every light is on in the kitchen and the photographer used his flash! The kitchen is actually never this bright!

{{gwi:1559770}}

Comments (18)

• theanimala
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen! You should post this in the regular discussion area as this forum doesn't get the views. Congrats on a beautiful job.

• dalerb66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you theanimala! I posted the pictures here in order to get them into the Finished Kitchen Blog. I should also provide some more details:

Cabinets: custom, reeded glass inserts in uppers
    Paint: Olympic "Spiced Vinegar"
    Faucet: Danze "Parma" Single Handle Pull-Out Kitchen Faucet (D404558SS)
    Soap Dispenser: Danze "Parma" (D495958SS)
    Double Wall Oven: GE Monogram (ZET2SMSS)
    42" Built-in Refrigerator: GE Monogram (ZISS420DXSS)
    32" Gas Rangetop: GE Monogram (ZGU366NPSS)
    Dishwasher: Miele Excella II Series (G 2732 SCi)
    36" Range Hood: Kobe Wall Mount European Style (RA9436SQB)

• amyktexas
    14 years ago

Can you pls post some close-ups of your rangetop, I am having one installed right now and am unsure about how they have it sitting :)

• dalerb66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Amy,

The installation of the rangetop is actually quite easy... if your installers read the installation instructions. Although if your installers are anything like mine, they've been "doing this for 25 years" and don't believe that they need to read instructions.

The width of the opening in the countertop should be 35". The rangetop then has a 1/2" lip on the left and right which rests on the countertop. The lip is what bears the weight of the rangetop. No other support is necessary (there's also a hold-down strap that's attached to the wall to keep the thing from tipping). If the opening is prepared correctly, installation is dead simple: you just drop it in.

Check out page five of the installation manual (linked below).

Let me know if any specific pictures would be helpful and I'll try to take some.

Here is a link that might be useful: Installation Instructions

• ritamay91710
    14 years ago

very nice!!!!!

• sochi
    14 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, congratulations! Are your cabinets walnut? What is your flooring?

I'm doing a major reno starting in three weeks. Ground floor will have birch natural hardwood and natural walnut cabinets, so the colours in your kitchen really inspire me!

• dalerb66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Shank you sochi!

The cabinets are actually maple. The stain was something custom that my cabinet guy mixed up. I just told him "very dark brown" and after a couple of experiments he hit on a color I really liked.

The floors are oak with a very light stain.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

What a nice looking kitchen!!

• morton5
    14 years ago

Wow, so clean and elegant, this is my kind of space-- it's beautiful. This is a small detail among so many wonderful choices, but the recessed under-cabinet lighting is cool. Also, are those pullouts under your range top?

• dalerb66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks to everyone again for the kind words!

morton5: I was very concerned with how those recessed under-cabinet lights would look. It was important that that deep counter have good lighting but, given the height of the cabinet above, it was clear that the lights used there would be visible from just about every spot in the kitchen. My contribution was simply to pick a fixture that would look good when "exposed" and my electrician and cabinet guy worked together to make sure that the recessed opening was just right. (The rest of the kitchen uses the same type of under-cabinet lights, but they are installed in the standard, non-recessed fashion.)

All of the lower cabinets contain drawers or some sort of pullout, except beneath the rangetop and sink: those are regular old cabinet doors. There is also a small "tray" cabinet to the left of the sink where I can toss cookie sheets, large cutting boards and the like.

• francoise47
    14 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen! How are you liking your Monogram rangetop and the Kobe hood?

• dalerb66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

francoise47,

I am very pleased with the Monogram rangetop. No complaints there!

I don't often do the sort of cooking that requires high performance from a hood, so I can't really judge the Kobe in that regard. Mine does have a low, 60HZ hum but any other source of noise (like the refrigerator running) masks the hum so I haven't called anyone out to try to service it.

• kimmieb
    14 years ago

Wow beautiful! Very tastefully done... A lot of the modern kitchens I see in HGTV and DIY are over the top with all the glitzy backsplashes and such. Pat yourself on the back. This one looks great.

• rem1970
    14 years ago

Beautiful granite! What kind is it?

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

Yes indeed, you have a very tastefully done kitchen. I love the granite backsplash.

• dalerb66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks again everyone for the kind compliments.

rem1970: I believe the granite goes by a few different names, but the yard I got mine from referred to it as Delicatus White. Although there's no real "white" in it at all; it's overwhelmingly a really nice cream color.

• shelly_k
    14 years ago

dalerb66 -- I love your kitchen! Your barstools are exactly what I'm looking for. Do you mind sharing where you got them?

• dalerb66
    Original Author
    14 years ago

shelly_k: Thanks! Those are Pullman barstools from Crate & Barrel in Pearl Leather. Mine have the 24" high seat which is perfect for counter height. I've provided a link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pearl Leather Barstool

Sponsored
My Kitchen And Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars48 Reviews
Virginia-Based, Leading Kitchen and Bath Remodeler Since 1994