Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gradstudent4life

Smaller home needs kitchen remodel/new layout

GradStudent4Life
12 years ago

My husband and I are first time homebuyers and are in the process of purchasing a cute 1120 SF home. The kitchen is a bit outdated and we have a modest budget to remodel it - ideally we would keep costs about $7 - 8,000 - but the lower, the better in our case.

I can only post one photo, so I tried to use the one that best displayed what we're dealing with. On the left side of the photo, once the cabinets end there is roughly 7 ft of space before hitting sliding glass doors to the patio. To your right is also open, leading to the living area with a fireplace on the same wall as the sliding glass door. Ideally we'd like to open it up to the living area, while maximizing space (it really is a small space - so some creativity is needed). My idea is the space in front of the fireplace might be transformed into the dining area.

Any ideas for space-saving floorplans for this kitchen, that will open it up to the living space? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Other ideas to keep costs low, such as how we can reuse materials, are also welcome.

We also need to know if we can remove the ugly drop ceiling in the kitchen - as far as I know, all that is there currently is the HVAC.

Thank you!

Image link:

Comment (1)