Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
djs6_gw

need help with kitchen color

djs6
13 years ago

Hello, I'm in trouble. I know nothing about paint colors. I painted my living room "pumpkin butter" with an accent wall on cayenne. The living room runs into the dining area and the walls in there are the pumpkin butter color. In my living room I have a green sofa and love seat. The dining area leads into the kitchen. My counter tops are a fake granite corian. They are sort of brown with grey streaks. The cabinets in my kitchen are maple and the appliances are white. I have no idea what color to paint my kitchen. Currently, it is a very pale green color. I would like to keep it green. I live in the country with a lot of trees around me. I really don't want to introduce another color into the kitchen. With the green of the trees and the couch, I would like to keep it green in the kitchen. Can someone suggest a green that would work for me. Feel free to suggest a totally different color too. I've included some pictures.

Image link:

Here is a link that might be useful: pumpkin butter and cayenne

Comments (8)

• steff_1
    13 years ago

I like the idea of green that's a little on the gray side. When you go to look for samples look at colors with in the tan and gray range that have a green undertone. If you look in the green range, they might be turn out too green. Can you get some samples of colors you like and post them for votes? It's easier to vote than to try to guess what colors in the range you might like especially since we can't see the exact colors of your furniture, etc.

I have similar color choices at my house. The entry is Chili Pepper Red and the adjacent hall walls are Antique Gold. The rest of the house is all variations of dark and light gray greens and it all works really well.

• djs6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I now have color samples all of my walls and none of them seems to really be the one I like. Below are some of the colors. I know you can google them and find them quite easily.

Any in particular that you use and like. I don't want the kitchen to be too dark. The windows are on the north and south sides, so they don't get the direct sunlight. On the other hand, I do have white moldings and like to see the contrast.

What do you think about the colors below. These are the ones that I have samples on the wall.

BAYOU - Martha Stewart - seemed a little dark
    DUSTY OLIVE - Behr - too dark
    GARDEN SHED - Martha Stewart - seemed closer to what I like, maybe a little too light
    HAZY SAGE - Glidden - not bad
    PRARIE SAGE - Glidden - not bad
    SOFT SAGE - Glidden

The other 2 colors I've been looking at are Ash Bark (Martha) and Rainwater (Martha). Ash Bark has more brown tones and Rainwater has more blue tones. I thought maybe I could pick up some of the blue/grey that is in the counter tops. My worry is how this blueish color goes with the Pumpkin Butter walls in the dining area.

Thanks

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Most Martha Stewart greens are too blue to work with your colors.

Try colors more on the warm gray side. You want to get a warm gray or tan that has a slight green tone. You don't want a green paint, but one that will trend green when it's on the walls. Take a look at Crevecoeur.

In the Glidden choices, Hazy Sage is pretty good but a little greener than I was picturing. I looked at their other grays and tans and didn't see anything that seemed to work. I'd share the one I used, but it was a custom mix.

Benjamin Moore Fossil would be another one to check out just to give you an idea of the green tones you can find in the gray section of the paint chart.

• djs6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

When I looked at Fossil on the Benjamin Moore website I don't see any green tone in it. It just looks like light grey to me. I must be color blind.

On the Benjamin Moore website they show a kitchen with Citrine on the top wall, Salsa Dancing on the bottom wall, and Flora on the accent wall. My two walls in the dining room area are close to the Citrine and Salsa Dancing. I wonder if Flora would work in my kitchen?

• steff_1
    13 years ago

You're not color blind! Gray is usually a combination of other colors and I have worked with color so much that I see the base color and not "gray."

I couldn't find the kitchen example you referenced on the Ben. Moore site, but did find Flora. That looks good, not too blue. You'll want to test it of course.

If you want me to see the example, copy the link from the site and past it in the URL box below the message posting box. Be sure to name and then I can find it.

• djs6
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The link to the picture that I was talking about is very long. When you get to the site, click on the picture above the desk. Then click on kitchens and dining rooms. It's the 4th picture called spice. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: kitchen picture

• steff_1
    13 years ago

Now I see it. In that setting Flora does look a little more on the blue side than I was thinking. They have each color outlined in white so it is isolated. Does Flora work with your furniture? At this point it really gets into what you really like and what works with everything else.

The main reason I recommended something more gray is your concern about the blue green tones not working with the other colors. I clicked through the colors and saw Jojoba looked pretty good also and it's a little grayer. I put it in place of the Flora but it won't link that way. You click on the wall and then the color twice to change it.

• nansea
    13 years ago

I'm painting my trim BM Nantucket Grey and almost went with Richmond Gray for the walls, both read green. I ended up up with a more intense green,Georgian Green, which looks a little yellowish in bright ligh and works great in my house. This link shows how nice the Nantucket Grey is and it might look good with your colors. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: BM Nantucket Grey