Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
village_gw

Unhappy with picture window - inside picture

Village
12 years ago

Help! The minute I saw the windows installed, I hated the sink window right away. Here's the deal - most windows in the house - new or old are double hung, between 56 and 60" in length from top of window to bottom (before moulding). And as you can see here - the sink window is next to three full length french doors. This window is only 47" (not technical length, but what I measure from top of installed window to bottom) and it comes to probably about 10-12" above the countertop. It looks "scrunched up" to me and not at all in proportion to the look of the other windows around the old and new parts of the house that are longer and more elegant. The fact that there are 3 windows, with two narrow side ones, also emphasizes the scrunched look, in my opinion. I hate it.

Also see pic of how it looks from back of house - out of proportion, in my opinion.

So, my builder says he can lower the windows (meaning purchase new ones and reframe) so that they sit maybe 3-4 inches above the countertop (with backsplash below). In effect, he will be lowering the window about 8" (doing a picture frame border as opposed to a full window sil as planned for now.)

My question is - do you agree with me that this looks off and that it would be better to take the window down closer to the counter? And, is it worth the $2k I'd have to pay him to do this? Given that we've paid tons more for the entire renovation, it's not a lot in the scheme of things... but just wondering if I'm crazy here.... thoughts?

Image link: