Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mid Century Modern Kitchen in Texas

Posted by goffgirl (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 18:50

After spending an inordinate amount of time lurking on this forum, I've finally plucked up the courage to post pictures of my kitchen remodel. I want to thank everyone for the invaluable advice and lively discussions and I hope you like the finished product.
As background information, the house, built in 1959, contained a kitchen that remained relatively unchanged since that time. Only newer appliances and a few coats of paint altered the space. I kept the square footage of the redesign to the original 11'x11' footprint, but removed one wall so that it's is now open to the family room, atrium and living room. I looked to Jill77's kitchen for inspiration and tried to incorporate a design style in keeping with the rest of the home without breaking the bank.

In addition to the kitchen remodel, the back wall of the house was opened for floor to ceiling windows, a concept often seen in modern houses of this era. Now upon entering, one is greeted with a view through the space and into the back yard. I guess we'll be landscaping next.

Before- kitchen (too much white paint and vinyl flooring I could never get to look clean. The kiddo cleans up much easier)
Before- kitchen

Before- the wall between the kitchen and family room is removed and the post and beam design of the home is exposed, opening the space. Soffits were also removed to allow wall cabinets to the ceiling.
Demo begins

After- kitchen
After- kitchen

View thru family room

Money shot

Pantry wall designed to provide much needed storage
Kitchen pantry

At the threshold between the wood and concrete floors I added glass mosaic tile. It's a nice detail for a large transition space that a simple wood threshold could not cover.
Threshold design

Before- family room with almost no windows to speak of. Upon walking to the sliding door vistors would exclaim, "Oh, you do have a backyard!"
Original family room

After- family room is now a proper mid century modern open to the outdoors. Vistors now exclaim, "Wow!"
After- family room

Atrium- before (Yes, that is a dirt floor)
Original atrium

Atrium-after (we added a fountain and large concrete pavers to the space. It's now a calm sitting area where one can enjoy the sounds of the water)
View thru atrium

Before- exterior (What else can I say...boring!)
Old rear of house

After- exterior
After- exterior

cabinets- Ikea Nexus brown-black and Rubrik white glass
countertops- Silestone Blanco Maple
floors- diamond-polished concrete slab
refrigerator- 36" built-in GE Monogram
range- 36" Dacor dual-fuel
hood- 36" stainless steel and glass (bought on Ebay from Kitchenvent)
dishwasher- Thermador (purchased 3 years ago)
microwave- under cabinet GE Monogram Spacemaker
sink- 33" undermount, zero radius, stainless steel (bought on Ebay)
faucet- Grohe Minta in chrome
soap dispenser-Blanco 911-374
air switch- Insinkerator in chrome
disposal- Insinkerator Evolution
backsplash tile-Matchstix in "Mountain" blend
threshold tile- Oceanside Facets in "Tiger's Eye" blend
counter stools- Bertoia look-alikes
pendant lights- maybe Tech Lighting, I've long since thrown away the box

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mid Century Modern Kitchen in Texas

What a gorgeous remodel!!! It is really beautiful. I love the windows, kitchen, atrium, it is just awesome. Good job:)

o

Jaw-dropping gorgeous! (And so is the little one!)

o

Really well done! Love it!Love the organic materials and feeling of openness, yet warmth.

o

WOW, I just saw this -- haven't come over here much since I did my Ikea Hallarum Kitchen back in '04...but I'm SO glad I did. CONGRATULATIONS on all your remodels. Did you design them yourself or with help?

One question re the glass tile transition strips: Did the tiles come pre-'softened', as it were? If not, if there are any sharp edges, you might want to rub a tile stone over them just to be sure none of your little guy's friends get hurt if they're running around in bare feet. I do mosaics and I know that everyone who does glass floors makes DEAD sure that every single piece is completely sanded down to innocuousness.

Again, congratulations -- I think I'll save your pics as inspiration. GREAT work.

o

Wow, beautiful remodel.

o

I absolutely LOVE it! Congratulations on your beautiful new spaces.

o

Can you tell me about your range hood? I see you purchased in from kitchenvent on ebay. I can't find any reviews about these hoods. How do you like it. Thank you.

o

Very beautifully done. It's one of the most amazing changes I've ever seen. Don't you just love all the light? Enjoy.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here