mary_in_nc

Finished Small Creamy White and Soapstone Kitchen for FKB

mary_in_nc
15 years ago

Details:

Cabinets Medallion Santa Cruz inset with Divinity finish

Countertop Green Mountain Original P.A. Soapstone

Butcherblock Custome made Endgrain in cherry with walnut trim

Backsplash Subway Ceramics subway tile in glossy white. Outlet covers came from them as well.

Hardware Oil Rub Bronze

Latches-Rejuvination.com

Cup pulls- Deltana Elongated Cup Pulls from www.cabinetpull.com

Knobs Restoration Hardware

Range Wolf 30" Duel Fuel

Refrigerator Liebherr 30" counter depth

Microwave Sharp 24" Drawer Microwave

Dishwasher Miele Optima

Disposal Insinkerator Evolutoin Compact

Vent Sirius 30in

Sink 30" Rohl Shaws Farm Sink

Prep sink Rohl Allia prep sink

Faucets Perrin and Rowe

Under Cabinet Lighting Kichler Xenon

Pendants Don't know! Came with house. Similar pendants at www.rejuvination.com

Paint Walls- Sherwin Williams Rice Grain in eggshell, Trim- Sherwin Williams Alabaster in gloss

Ceiling Height 9 feet

Space Roughly 11 x 15

Here is a link that might be useful: Creamy White and Soapstone Kitchen

Comments (33)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Absolutely stunning. Love the white and creamy white, plus that gorgeous soapstone. I really like your bookshelves, the pantry cabinet (I think it is?), and, of course, that butcher block is just the right thing to bring in some real warmth and make it homier. Nice, nice, nice.

• sunny_ne
    15 years ago

Really lovely - Thanks for sharing!

• Kelli Tucker Campbell
    15 years ago

Mary, I love your kitchen so much that I want to marry it. Thanks for sharing all your information!

• evilbunnie
    15 years ago

While I'm waiting for my cabinets to arrive (schuler divinity finish) I keep coming back to "visit" your kitchen. You really inspired me!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks you guys for the complements! Hard to believe it was a year ago when we began "dreaming". I'm glad folks find the list of details helpful!

• bcarmichael
    15 years ago

Hi Mary, I love your kitchen (in part because it is very similar to mine!) I have Medallion Divinity White cabinets, but I thought when we purchased them that they were pure white (I know, how could I think that?) Anyway, we also have white subway tile and dark soapstone. We had painted the kitchen gray, but it looks funny with the off-white. Are you happy with the color of your walls? I'm now trying to find a paint color that will go with the Divinity White. Thanks!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When I looked at the Medallion cabinet paint samples I knew I did not want "white icing". It was too white and looked plastic. In the showroom I fell in love with "white chocolate", but when I got it home and hung it in my kitchen it looked awful. Divinity was the closest to creamy warm. I think my walls add to the warmth as well as my oak floors. I love the color of my walls. It is Sherwin Williams Rice Grain in eggshell.

Lesson: Always bring home a sample of the color of the cabinet you are considering. See it in the light of your kitchen.

Mary

• sporthill
    15 years ago

Mary - Your kitchen is beautiful. Ours, too, will be similar, but with blue-gray rustic backsplash. I can't wait! I am about to go ahead with Green Mountain Soapstone. How did that go? Any advice?
    Thanks.
    Maggie

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I don't think you can go wrong with Green Mountain Original P.A soapstone. Ours has been in for 9 months and I have no complaints. Be careful of their "Ice flower". At the time I was shopping they were having problems with 'Ice Flower" breaking. No problems with Original P.A. It is a very hard stone and stays dark a long, long time. I usa a mineral oil/beeswax combination that I buy off EBAY. It's the best deal out there. (And it's made by a stay at home mom. ) See link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beeswax/Mineral oil paste on EBAY

• kayko15
    15 years ago

I love the cabinetry! Do you mind me asking the price of the Medallion cabinets. I have looked at custom and am wondering how these compare. Thanks!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The cabinets are Medallions top of the line. They are semi-custom inset cabs so that jacks up the price. I think the cabs were in the $30k range. Total cost with everything (plumber, electrician, tiling, resanding floors, appliances, etc) was about $65k. We live in a national historic district so we applied for tax credits and got approved! We'll get 30% back in tax credits over the next couple of years!

• joy20
    15 years ago

Thanks for sharing all the great information on your beautiful kitchen. We are planning a small kitchen reno with white inset cabinets, soapstone & 30" counter depth Liebherr. How do you like your Liebherr? Is yours panneled? We were wondering about the optional top vent kit & when/why that is necessary.

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We LOVE the 30in Liebherr. We had 6 in the house for Christmas and had no problem with space in the fridge. We did not panel ours as you can see in the pic below. Because the Liebherr is built in it needs ventilation which is at the top of the fridge. We were told we could have our GC build some sore of grate. Sounded iffy. We went ahead with the top vent kit instead. It looks nice and serves the purpose.

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well I can't believe it was a year ago that they started installing my kitchen. So far no regrets! We love everything about it. Because our house is in a National Historic District we were able to apply for North Carolina tax credits for the renovation and got approved! We got back 30% of what we invested in the kitchen in tax credits!!

• jeniferrlynne
    15 years ago

Wow that is great about the credit. Mary are you pleased with the Lowe's subway gloss white against your creamy cabinets? I only see pics of it with the lights on so they look warm against them in that light. I am really considering saving some money in this area and buying from Lowe's or home depot! A biscuit color does exist but I don't think Lowe's carries it in the 3x6....

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Jeniferrlynne

My subway tile is glossy white and is from Subway Ceramics. I love it and so does everyone who sees it. We looked at Lowe's and Home Depot but the tile at these stores has a "pillowed" surface and a rounded edge. We wanted historically authentic tile with a flat surface and a squared edge and thus went with Subway Ceramics. By the way, the outlet covers came from Subway Ceramics as well. I think the total cost to tile our kitchen was $2000.

Here is a link that might be useful: Subway Ceramics

• jencjudd
    14 years ago

This is an absolutely beautiful kitchen...just now got to see it. How great that it is still bringing you joy a year later! Love your choices...particularly excited to see your Perrin and Rowe faucet (I picked the same one today in oil-rubbed bronze!). Thanks for sharing!

• lucretzia
    14 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen, but do you think you can get the same effect with black granite or ceaserstone counters in a regular, unhoned finish? I am trying to be practical as I am not at all a neat cook, but am still fussy about stains etc. Even going hardwood floors is a difficult decision. Also, need to cheap out and not do the inset cabinets. Do you think I can get a nice, classic (and classy)look without the inset cabinets and soapstone? Thanks

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the complement. Do I think you can get the same effect with black granite or ceaserstone counters in a regular, unhoned finish as my soapstone? I don't know. I have not seen those before. I've lived with soapstone counters for over a year and it has been easy (and I am an obsessive compulsive neat freak!) My oak hardwood floors are 90 years old. They look pretty good I think. I sweep them every few days and mop with Bona every other week. Regarding inset cabs, consider doing the upper cabs inset and lower cabs overlay.

Good lucK and have fun designing!
    Mary

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A year and a half later and I am still loving everything about my kitchen. No regrets... especially the soapstone!

• threegraces
    14 years ago

I love your kitchen! This is very similar to what we want (maybe a smaller budget though, haha). Thanks for the inspiration.

• sis2two
    14 years ago

mary in nc--I just came across your pictures today while on the soapstone thread. I love your kitchen! I love your soapstone. I have recently put in soapstone as well. Do you have a problem with chipping around the sink? I have my first small chip and am not sure whether to leave it, sand it or use a black sharpie? Do you have any suggestions? Thank you.

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Someone asked recently if I was having any problems with my soapstone. After two years, I am having no issues. I absolutely love it! It is Green Mountain Original PA.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Finished Kitchen

• hamden_mom
    13 years ago

Hi Mary, Beautiful kitchen! I'm also considering using Green Mountain Original P.A. Can you tell me where you got yours? I'm looking for a dark gray/black soapstone with white veins, as yours appears to be. But some of the samples I've received look greenish when oiled. Was yours initially grey with green? Some have said that the green will turn gray/dark over time, and that the veins will become whiter. What has been your experience? Thanks!

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi- I got my soapstone locally in Asheville from Asheville Kitchen Tops. Give Green Mountain Soapstone a call. They can tell you who in your area carries it. Regarding color, my soapstone unoiled was a teal/grey color. After the first oil it turned black. In really bright light or taking a picture of it with a flash it will look green. 99.9% of the time it looks black with beautiful veining. I love my soapstone! I would choose it again in a heartbeat!

• emy315
    13 years ago

Hi. I was just running a search for Medallion cabinets and your post came up. I am redoing my kitchen and we are looking at medallion platinum inset cabinets and Shiloh inset cabinets. I was hoping to get your feedback on your cabinets. At the showroom we noticed the dovetails were not smooth and there were tiny holes on the inside of the doors. Also, in the display the pull out shelves didn't run smoothly. We really liked the KD who is selling Medallion. Have you encountered any troubles with your cabinets? Do you find your cabinets well constructed? Did you look at any other cabinets before deciding on Medallion?

I would truly appreciate you input! Thanks!

• burghmom
    13 years ago

First of all, I love your kitchen! It is gorgeous! I am in a bit of a dilemma and am struggling. We are doing a kitchen remodel and I am planning on doing white (Wellborn Maple in Glacier)cabinets and Cambria Black granite countertops w/ an antiqued finish. I love the look of your cabinets and am now worried about the white being "too" white. Does the Divinity clash w/ the white subway tile? (my choice in backsplash as well!) Is it more cream than white or more white than cream? I'm worried it will pull yellow and that is not what I want. Any input is appreciated! Thank you!

• finocchia
    12 years ago

Mary,
    I really admire your mellow soapstone countertops and your creamy white cabs, too! DH and I just picked out slabs of Original PA last week; we hope the stone will complement
    our buttermilk inset cabinets. The veining has a bit of green, which gives it a bit of a warm effect, I think. Can you tell me the depth of overhang you chose for your countertops? If our kitchen is ever finished, I'll post some pics,too.

• typeprof
    12 years ago

Beautiful kitchen! I was interested in the beeswax mineral oil paste you mentioned, but the link didnt work. Can you tell me the name? How often do you use it?

• mary_in_nc
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi- The ebay store is theusaamericangal. I pasted the link below. Initially I put it on maybe once a week for a couple of weeks then once every couple of months. Mainly when I would notice the stone fading. Now I put it on maybe once or twice a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ebay Link to store selling Beeswax/mineral oil paste

• Laura517
    11 years ago

Hi Mary,
    If you are still on GW....I love your kitchen!!!!
    We are about to order Medallion Platinum inset cabinets with the Santa Cruz door style in divinity white! Just wondering how yours are holding up? Have you needed to tighten the hinges? Has there been any major shifts in alignment with the inset cabinets? Is the paint holding up ok? Thanks for your help.

• rosefolly
    10 years ago

Very impressed! I am full of admiration for your kitchen design and finishes. My favorite kitchens all have modern function with historical timelessness.

• tinker1121
    10 years ago

You must feel so terrific each time you walk into that beautiful space! Congrats and enjoy!