Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
starpooh

Finished Kitchens blog for archiving your beautiful kitchens!

starpooh
18 years ago

Many members have asked for links to member's finished kitchens that had been posted in the gallery but have since rolled off. I myself was also frustrated by trying to locate someone's photos and finding that I had forgotten to bookmark them!

So, a few weeks ago, I created a blog to archive the finished kitchen posts. In most cases, these posts are simply verbatim copies of the forum posts. Most contain a description of the kitchen along with a link to the photos. They are listed alphabetically by member for easy retrieval.

Finished Kitchens Blog

The blog currently has a major formatting issue: you need scroll down the page (below the links section) in order to access the contents of the posting. I'm working on a fix and will hopefully have this resolved soon.

Both MJsmama and HollySprings raised an interesting question: can the posts be categorized based on style, cabinet color, countertop, budget of kitchen, etc.? This would be alot more work, but could be doable if I can get some help setting up the categories (what specific categories should be used, and to what granularity (i.e., granite countertops - or - Golden Juparana granite countertops?). I would also need help categorizing each member's kitchen. Is anybody interested in helping?

If your finished kitchen isn't in the blog, please post it to the gallery and I will add it to the blog.

Please include a description of your choices (cabinets, appliances, countertops, faucets, lighting, etc.) We all want to know where to find the fabulous things you selected!

(For some members I have listed only links, no description. Please either post your description or you can email it to me; I'll add it to the blog.)

Have fun viewing all the beautiful kitchens... and don't stay up too late!!!

Finished Kitchens Blog

Comments (69)

• kacee2002
    18 years ago

ttt
    so this doesn't roll off

• catkin
    18 years ago

:bows to starpooh:

Excellent work! Thank you!

• kacee2002
    18 years ago

ttt again

• jenswrens
    18 years ago

bump

• Julie1808
    18 years ago

I haven't looked at this for awhile, and it's really grown and gotten even better in that time. Nice job, Starpooh. You've created a great resource.

• quiltnhen
    18 years ago

All I can add to the above is ooooooh.....ahhhhhh! Well done. I hope you have a wonderful time using it.

• mistybear11
    18 years ago

starpooh:librarymom03 has mentioned to me to see if you would put my kitchen in your blog. When I checked to see what it was all about, I noticed that you had already done that. That was so very nice of you. Thank you!

• MollyB2
    18 years ago

Starpooh -- many thanks for fixing the picture on my kitchen. The kitchen blog is just great. Thanks. Molly

• dicentra99
    18 years ago

Wow! I've been away for awhile (keeping up on construction progress--yay!) and forgot how much I love GW Kitchens! Starpooh, your site has only added to the value of this place. There's always smtg new to see in everyone's beautiful kitchens. One day I look for flooring, another for knobs, another at backsplashes...seems I never get tired of this (or at least that's what DH says!)

Thanks to all!

• vedazu
    18 years ago

Starpooh! Many thanks for your assistance--you seem to be watching over the entire forum! I tried to e-mail you, but there isn't an address--am I missing something? Veda

• starpooh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks to everyone for your kind words! I enjoy looking through everyone's gallery and selecting photos to post. I'm actually having so much fun with the pictures that I think I may resurrect the Kitchen Slideshow with an even better format.

And thanks to all who have bumped this thread to keep it on the main gallery page!

vedazu ~ not sure why you couldn't email me.. maybe because GardenWeb moved the email link to the journal page? Anyhow you can use the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: email starpooh

• Diane2566
    18 years ago

Great job starpooh. You are such an asset to all of us. Keep up the fantistic work.

• jerzeegirl
    18 years ago

starpooh, What a great slideshow! I just kicked back with a cup of tea and watched the slideshow this morning and it was such a blast from the past - looking at the results of all our efforts over the past few years. Thanks for your all your work in creating and maintaining the Kitchen Blog - it is such an tremendous resource for us all!

• starpooh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I just finished adding all kitchens to the slideshow. Whew! There are now over 250 kitchens to peruse!

You can set the slideshow to play automatically, manually click through each kitchen, or select a specific kitchen from the drop-down box.

If you're a pop-up hater you may prefer to view kitchens in the slideshow instead of from the blog. And the photo images in the slideshow are larger than the blog's pop-ups... another good reason to start with the slideshow!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens Slideshow

• starpooh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oh one more thing!
    Many of you have been concerned about the copyright and use of your kitchen photos due to GardenWeb's new Terms of Service. So I've started adding a watermark to each new photo that is posted in the blog. [I hope it isn't too intrusive!]

Here is a link that might be useful:

• dulcinea
    18 years ago

Starpooh - I have no idea where you find the time to do all of this but I want to tell you that I really appreciate it. I am still in the planning stage but I refer to these pics a lot. Thank you!

Hopefully, someday, mine will be there!!

Cheers!

• jiggreen
    18 years ago

just wanted to give you a big thank you for doing all of that work on the finished kitchen blog!! we are in the middle of doing a partial/low budget kitchen remodel and i have spent countless hours analyzing details on all of the beautiful kitchens!!

thank you!!
    jiggreen

• lizh
    18 years ago

Starpooh,

What a wonderful tool you've given us. I really appreciate all your efforts. Planning our own kitchen reno and this will be such a great resource. Thanks so much!

• caflowerluver
    17 years ago

Thank you for all your hard work setting this up. I have gone back repeatedly to look at how people have done their kitchens.
    First it was to look at style of cabinets, then countertops then placement of appliances and now it is overall design. Each time I have looked at it I have learned something new. A picture truly is worth a thousand words.

• lizh
    17 years ago

Bumping back to page 1.

• catkin
    17 years ago

bump
    And a big thanks for all your hard work!

• honeysmomcooks
    17 years ago

Love-love-love all of these pics and information!! Thank you for tracking them down and all of the work that has gone into organizing them. I personally have spent an inordinate amount of time drooling over them!! ...

Now, however, I am pulling my hair out as I cannot find a particular kitchen pic that I wanted to show to my husband! Maybe someone here can help?? It was a pic of a kitchen (beautiful, by the way!) with an adjoining sitting area that had white cabinet doors mounted on the wall to serve as a recycling chute to the garage. In the comments the owner had remarked how she loved this idea and that she now has no problem getting her kids to take out the recycling (my dream...). I have looked and looked and looked (and gotten side-tracked once or twice!) and I cannot for the life of me find it again! Does this ring any bells with anyone hanging out here?? Trying this as a last resort.....augh!

• starpooh
    Original Author
    17 years ago

It's hard to believe that it's been one whole year since I started the Finished Kitchens Blog. It's harder to believe that over 300 members have agreed to share not only photos but details of their beautiful kitchens!

The blog has come along way since the early days when I scrambled to find kitchens to include. I had searched the active kitchen threads, dug through the archives and emailed dozens of members to request their kitchen details & photo album links. I've learned alot along the way: most importantly to ask permission before archiving a kitchen (I had been so enthusiastic that I overstepped my bounds by adding many unfinished kitchens that, to me, looked finished. Please accept my apology if I added your kitchen before you were ready to post it in the gallery).

I hope that all the new features have been helpful to everyone: from the pop-up images to "Find-A-Kitchen" to watermarked images to the Slideshows and finally the still-in-progress Categories. (Oh yes! Thanks to riotbrrd for reminding me of the need for categories! But you've disappeared... are you still around? Do you still want to help categorize?) I've had a blast designing and setting up each of the features; it gave me a chance to again look through all of your beautiful kitchens!

I hope this doesn't sound like a "good-bye" announcement. I'm not leaving! I still plan to continue adding to the FKB (also gotta get those Categories finished). But I will no longer be looking for finished kitchens in the forum and emailing the owners for permission to post. So I would like to make a request of the members: please email me when you have posted your finished kitchen in the gallery to give me both a heads-up that your kitchen is finished and permission to post it in the FKB. And if you see a finished kitchen that isn't posted, please remind the owner to email me. (On another note, please feel free to send me corrections/updates/new photos to your existing kitchens. I truly don't mind making changes. I understand how proud we all are of our kitchens and want them to be shown at their best!)

You can email me directly at starpooh at gmail dot com or through my gardenweb member page.

Thanks for your support!
    (btw... I also will post this in the Discussions section to be sure that nobody misses the post.)

• ksfaustin
    17 years ago

bump :-)

• rachelzuck
    17 years ago

Incredible job. I truly enjoy going through all these kitchens. Thanks for putting so much work into this.

• catkin
    17 years ago

Bumping! And thanking you again for all your hard work!

• joanp
    17 years ago

I consider mine a Shaker Modern hybrid. It will get complicated but if you can search by keyword, that would be great!

• joanp
    17 years ago

I do enjoy looking at the variety of wonderful choices that people have made. Some really great kitchens! Thanks for all your hard work!

• kygirl99
    17 years ago

bump

• emmie9999
    17 years ago

I'll bump with a thank you! I just got a chance to take a really good look at the blog today, using the search feature. Not only did I get wonderful ideas, I saw some things that confirmed my current choices, or helped me "see" what I was planning. Thanks to all of you for all the work!
    Emmie

• justadncr
    17 years ago

All your hard work at making the site better has paid off. Very nice and thank you again.

• celticmoon
    16 years ago

Bump!!!

• starpooh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bump

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Starpooh: So many of the kitchen photos in the FKB are no longer viewable due, in large part, to the demise of Yahoo's photo hosting site. Other kitchens are not viewable b/c members have removed their photos or discontinued their accounts w/photo sites. Do you think it would be out of bounds to email members when we encounter a kitchen whose photos are no longer viewable?

TIA!

• starpooh
    Original Author
    16 years ago

buehl -

Thank you so much for adding comments to kitchens that have broken photo links! But as you've probably figured out the comments aren't sent to the owner of the kitchen. I receive all comments; after accepting the appropriate ones they are posted directly to the FKB. I used to forward comments to the owners but I just don't have time anymore. (But I did forward your comment about lowspark's missing photos [she's in my address book so it was easy.] She had no idea that flickr had deleted all her photos and promised to upload them all again.)

But no, it certainly wouldn't be out-of-line to contact members directly. I could actually use some help! If you can't get through to a member via their My Page link then send me an email (starpooh at gmail dot com) and I'll forward it to them. I have email addresses for everybody who has submitted a FKB Checklist.

• Buehl
    16 years ago

Thanks Starpooh! I will start doing just that! Sorry I haven't gotten back to this until now (DS had some medical issues we've been dealing with plus kitchen issues!)

• pwd626
    15 years ago

Help!! I just chipped my granite while dropping a cereal bowl as I was putting it away. I thought granite was much stronger than that! Should that have happened?

• paco6945
    15 years ago

Paco's Kitchen

We're finally moved in.

> Stained Concrete Floors
    > Liebherr 48 inch BioFresh
    > BlueStar Heritage 48 Cooktop
    > Gaggenau Combi-Steam Oven
    > Gaggenau Convection Oven
    > 48x72 Island with Stainless Top and Prep Sink
    > Sharp Microwave Drawer
    > Copper Farm Sink
    > Copper Bar

• paco6945
    15 years ago

Oops. I guess I posted my pictures in the wrong place.

• cookingrvc
    15 years ago

Starpooh,

The blog is one amazing, generous act of kindness. thank you.
    sue

• dreamsalive
    15 years ago

What a priceless resource. THANKKK YOU ALL who contributed to the design & upkeep of this finished kitchens site. Love it, use it and am obsessed with it!

• MariposaTraicionera
    14 years ago

I am looking for a pantry that was posted awhile back that was like a walk-in closet, and they had shelves that were placed in a sort of U shape.

Does anyone know how I could do a search for pantries in the FKB please? I see lots of other things listed but not pantries.

• jenocurley
    14 years ago

bump

• catkin
    14 years ago

bumping!

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

I have sooo thoroughly enjoyed looking at all the kitchens posted in the FKB! It never fails to amaze me how everyone has such different tastes--and what a boring world it would be otherwise! Even if two posters have a similar style preference, each kitchen still has its unique personality based on its owner :-)

Soo, bumping--and begging--for others to pretty please post their kitchens. (We are hoping to get started on our kitchen reno in the fall, so nothing from me right now!)

• catkin
    13 years ago

bump

• magic_arizona
    13 years ago

TTT

• islanddevil
    13 years ago

starpooh. I just discovered Gardenweb, recommended by someone in the Cookware forum at Chowhound.com. What a wealth of info....and then I find this thread with a link to your finished kitchens blog! Incredible. What a fantastic resource and I can't even imagine the amount of ongoing time, effort and creativity that must go into compiling this. I LOVE IT! When I think of all the money spent on design magazines because I loved one or 2 kitchens, time spent wandering aimlessly in design and appliance stores, and all the Googling for other pictures and info when I could have been getting my inspiration and thoughts together here! Plus the ability to obtain more info from the kitchen owners. Priceless.
    Thank you so much for creating this awesome resource and thank you to all the people who took the time to post pictures and product details. I have a feeling I'm going to become addicted to this!

• catkin
    12 years ago

Bumping to the top!

• gbailey81
    8 years ago

Thanks so very much for doing this!