Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eam44

Kitchen Layout - Opinions?? Better image

eam44
11 years ago

Hello All. I am getting ready to move back into the house I was born in that I inherited from my parents. It's a 1964 colonial revival with stick cabinetry. Would you be kind enough to take a look and let me know what you think of the proposed new layout? While it looks pretty simple, I've gone through about 20 different iterations to get to this one.

Needs: cabinets must be replaced; I must have gas line plumbed in.

Wants: while I'd love to knock down walls, have a big island, and replace all appliances, I'm not going to do that. But I would like to be able to:

1. Cook without being bugged. The current layout allows the cook to boogie with whomever is at the sink. While this has provided laughs over the years, I don't like to be bothered at the stove, so I placed it on the sink wall that should allow venting for the hood as well.

2. Have people hang out with me in the kitchen so I moved the peninsula over a bit, and beefed it up to allow for counter stools.

3. Have a traditional table for lounging, and elders who don't like counter seating, so I'm building a banquette in the sunroom area (tables with a view).

4. Swap the location of the fridge and pantry. I hate the current pantry that is really a closet, and the fact that the fridge is in the doorway to the dining room. I'd swap their places in a minute, but a pantry cabinet would cost 1K. I guess I could use upper and lower cabs in that spot, but that's not really a pantry...

Could you let me know if you see any obvious issues with the plan, or have better ideas for me? Thanks in advance for your input.

Image link: