> Gaggenau Convection Oven

> 48x72 Island with Stainless Top and Prep Sink

> Sharp Microwave Drawer

> Copper Farm Sink

> Copper Bar

Comments (19)

• cpang74
    16 years ago

Congratulations! I love your stained concrete floors!

• lovemcm
    16 years ago

Seriously gorgeous kitchen! Your cabinets are stunning! What kind of wood is that and who made them?

• paco6945
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The cabinets are alder, stained espresso. A local cabinet maker made them. We had to keep on the painter's to finally get the color as dark as we wanted.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Awesome!!!!

• rosie
    15 years ago

Just came browsing and found yours, Paco. I love the way the wonderfully functional materials come together as a warm inviting room. What a great place to cook, and hand and chat with a glass of wine...

• gpwuster
    15 years ago

Wow...beautiful kitchen! What is that "stove" next to the cooktop?

• paco6945
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The ovens are Gaggenau The upper is a 30" combi-steam and the lower is a regular convection oven. They are wonderful.

• marthavila
    15 years ago

This kitchen is sensational. Great job!

• eyegolf
    15 years ago

Love your kitchen; especially the Gaggenau ovens. Can you please tell me the finish you chose for these? Is it the stainless steel or the aluminum?
    Thanks

• sweet100s
    15 years ago

Wow, what a beautiful Red-Brown combination!

What is the paint brand & color?

cpang, thanks for mentioning the concrete, I was focusing higher and would not have noticed how beautiful that was as well!

• sweet100s
    15 years ago

This is definitely the most interesting kitchen I've seen in a long time. It's almost Asian in theme, but much more welcoming and comfortable.

What was your intent or design goal?

• brigitte333
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is very cool. I like your knife storage idea in your kitchen. I wanted to ask you about your pot filler. Do you like it, and what brand is it? I wanted to install mine like yours-offset from back splash. I have never had one before, so I don't know if it takes a special pot filler to pull up and higher over the pot. Thanks for any input. Brigitte

• paco6945
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I haven't answered the last few questions. Too many other things going on.

Eyegolf: The Gag ovens are the aluminum finish. We're very happy with them.

Marthavila: Thank you. We put a lot of time into trying to get it right. So far, we couldn't be happier.

Sweet100s: The red is Kelly Moore KM AC213-5 High Society; the cabinets are a dark espresso stain.

brigitte333: We love the pot filler, but I keep forgetting to use it. About half the time I fill the pot and lug it to the cooktop. I do a lot of stir frying in a wok and it comes in handy when I have to add a water. It was simple to install. So far the height has been fine.

The only thing I might change if I were doing it over would be the Blue Star griddle/broiler. I like it OK, but I would probably opt for 2 more burners and then buy a separate griddle.

• robyn393
    15 years ago

Did you score your floors after the slab was poured? Reason I asked is because we are staining most of our 1st floor and just love the look. Our floor guy wants to score all the floors before the inside framing is put up so that it will be easier, but I want "edges" around each area and possibly some detailed work in the foyer. Did you do it anywhere else in the house? What color is your stain?

Love the KITCHEN!

• paco6945
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The scoring that you see is actually where the slab on grade meets the slab on steel beams. We are on a very sloped lot. The contractor poured a 3 inch topping after the drywall was in and textured. They put plastic on the walls for protection.

We wanted a minimum of scoring, so the scoring through the kitchen is the only place where it shows. The other required scoring is covered by walls. I say "required" because where the topping that was poured on the slab on grade meets the topping that was poured on the steel structure is a point where expansion will be different.

So, the direct answer to your question is that the scoring was done after the walls were up.

• mominthedubc
    15 years ago

Absolutely Stunning!

• kealoha
    15 years ago

VERY NICE kitchen! What color stain did you use? We'll be staying our floor, probably terra cotta which looks like that might be what yours is. And we have a 48" bluestar with griddle on order. Can't wait for a new kitchen.

• paco6945
    Original Author
    15 years ago

mominthedubc: Thank you. We're still very pleased with everything.

kealoha: They used a combination of Cola and (I think) black. We kept insisting with the stainer to get it darker, because we knew it would lighten up over time.

• pschmid
    15 years ago

I too LOVE your kitchen! I'm glad to hear you like your Gaggenau ovens - ours just arrived today (have to live in the garage for a while).
    I'm interested in your hood - is that granite tile? How did you do that? We've been looking for a hood and having a tough time. We like the rectangle stainless steel, but all of those seem to have an internal motor and we'd really like an in-line or remote blower. Something like yours could be just the solution - I just love it!!