Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
madeleine2003

need help with countertops and sink, please!!

madeleine2003
10 years ago

I have been going around & around and have spent countless hours reading the wonderful and informative posts here but I still canâÂÂt come to a decision about a LOT of things so IâÂÂm hoping for some help from all of you.

IâÂÂm refurbishing my kitchen because itâÂÂs so old and IâÂÂve always wanted a BlueStar range thanks to all of you! =) IâÂÂm leaving the current cabinetry to save some money but will be cutting out a cabinet to make room for the range and updating the pull-outs and drawers to that nice soft close stuff.

My problems are with the countertops and sink.

Countertop: Should I get granite, quartzite or soapstone. I know the pros and cons of each material but I canâÂÂt make a decision. I donâÂÂt abuse my counters, I donâÂÂt cut on them or drop things on them. I donâÂÂt have kids, itâÂÂs just 2 of us and an occasional large party. I like granite because itâÂÂs shiny & reflects light. I donâÂÂt like the speckled effect of some granites. I found a nice granite but am wondering if itâÂÂs too busy. ItâÂÂs called Gazon from Brazil. You can find a photo of it at www.gramar.com. I like quartzite but itâÂÂs so expensive! I thought Princess white was absolutely gorgeous, especially with all the little tiny blue & green âÂÂgemsâÂÂ. I found a really cool soapstone called Green Iron but IâÂÂm concerned about the patina over time. Will it be too dark in my dark kitchen in the future.

Countertop color: this is also a big issue⦠should I get white, grey, yellow/gold, black, greenâ¦. What?? I have no clue.

Sink: Should I get a Franke fireclay farmhouse in white or a Rachiele farmhouse copper sink? What color countertop would it go best with in my dark kitchen to match?

Here are the âÂÂfactsâÂÂ:
My kitchen is dark. It doesnâÂÂt have a window because itâÂÂs in the center of the house.
We always turn the lights on when we go in the kitchen �" day & night, summer & winter.
There are 3 transom window about 20 feet up that receives light from the north.
There are 3 large movie set type of canned lights up there, too and lots of recessed lighting but it still seems dark with the lights on.
The cabinets are a medium brown with lots of grain.
Floors are wood.
All the appliances are stainless steel.

Here is a picture of the southeast facing wall. Oddly enough it looks like there is plenty of light but all the lights are on & there is the flash from the camera. This photo has been photoshopped just so I could see what the kitchen may look like so the sink & SS dishwasher really arenâÂÂt there or the ones IâÂÂm getting. But youâÂÂll get the basic idea what the kitchen looks like.

Thank you all for helping out!!!

Comment (1)