Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help with countertops and sink, please!!

Posted by madeleine2003 (My Page) on
Mon, May 20, 13 at 19:30

I have been going around & around and have spent countless hours reading the wonderful and informative posts here but I still can’t come to a decision about a LOT of things so I’m hoping for some help from all of you.

I’m refurbishing my kitchen because it’s so old and I’ve always wanted a BlueStar range thanks to all of you! =) I’m leaving the current cabinetry to save some money but will be cutting out a cabinet to make room for the range and updating the pull-outs and drawers to that nice soft close stuff.

My problems are with the countertops and sink.

Countertop: Should I get granite, quartzite or soapstone. I know the pros and cons of each material but I can’t make a decision. I don’t abuse my counters, I don’t cut on them or drop things on them. I don’t have kids, it’s just 2 of us and an occasional large party. I like granite because it’s shiny & reflects light. I don’t like the speckled effect of some granites. I found a nice granite but am wondering if it’s too busy. It’s called Gazon from Brazil. You can find a photo of it at www.gramar.com. I like quartzite but it’s so expensive! I thought Princess white was absolutely gorgeous, especially with all the little tiny blue & green “gems”. I found a really cool soapstone called Green Iron but I’m concerned about the patina over time. Will it be too dark in my dark kitchen in the future.

Countertop color: this is also a big issue… should I get white, grey, yellow/gold, black, green…. What?? I have no clue.

Sink: Should I get a Franke fireclay farmhouse in white or a Rachiele farmhouse copper sink? What color countertop would it go best with in my dark kitchen to match?

Here are the “facts”:
My kitchen is dark. It doesn’t have a window because it’s in the center of the house.
We always turn the lights on when we go in the kitchen �" day & night, summer & winter.
There are 3 transom window about 20 feet up that receives light from the north.
There are 3 large movie set type of canned lights up there, too and lots of recessed lighting but it still seems dark with the lights on.
The cabinets are a medium brown with lots of grain.
Floors are wood.
All the appliances are stainless steel.

Here is a picture of the southeast facing wall. Oddly enough it looks like there is plenty of light but all the lights are on & there is the flash from the camera. This photo has been photoshopped just so I could see what the kitchen may look like so the sink & SS dishwasher really aren’t there or the ones I’m getting. But you’ll get the basic idea what the kitchen looks like.

Thank you all for helping out!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help with countertops and sink, please!!

i would get rid of the overhead cabinets to let some light in from the patio doors in the adjacent room. are you going to paint your cabinets or leave them as is?

i think that you should paint the cabinets to brighten the space

the gazon granite would coordinate nicely but it's so heavy with the dark cabinets for a room with no natural light. you could paint the cabs cream to go with the gazon granite.

Ivory fantasy granite would look nice with your stain color but isn't so heavy if you really want to leave the stain

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here