Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annerr

Kitchen layout help -- 1923 foursquare

AnneRR
13 years ago

A good friend of mine recommended this website as a excellent place to "sound out" ideas and, after reading a number of posts, she did not exaggerate.

We've been in our house since 1997 and have been putting off a remodel until we could "do it right." Our intention for the remodel is twofold: one, increase the functionality of the kitchen with a more usable space and better appliances; and two, return the kitchen to its 1923 "look." Years before we moved in the kitchen was enlarged by closing off the stairs that connected the living room and kitchen (a good morning stair?) So, we'd like to bring the stairs back into the kitchen and then add on to the existing space.

The remodel will be roughly 20'by 13'-8".

The backyard is accessible through the door on the north side.

We have two small children.

I do a lot of cooking, have a large extended family, and would love a double oven, but an oven and 1/2 would probably be more than adequate.

Everyone we've talked to is trying to sell us on a half-bath off the kitchen (maybe in the place of the hallway closet.) Doable?

Our contractor has given us several concepts for the remodel, one of them entertains the "return the stairs" option. Although I think the work triangle he created is solid, I'm not sold on the center island/range combo.

I've included a sketch up of his plan. Any suggestions about layout would be much appreciated.

Image link:

Comment (1)

• Buehl
    12 years ago

(Already reposted on the Discussions side)