Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seadweller_gw

Hypotheory Appliances

seadweller
11 years ago

I'm in the market for a rangetop, and came across the Hypotheory brand. I've never heard of it, and a search here came up with nothing.

Looks nice in the pictures, but I worry about parts and service. Anyone own one? Impressions?

Comments (26)

• veryprettymomof2
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Dear Seadweller,

I have owned the HTRT366 natural gas model for a little over 3 years and I have had no issues other then my kids playing with the knobs and accidentally pulling one out, although they are designed to be pulled out and cleaned, so I was able to push it back in. Although the knobs are very hard to pull out my very strong 8 year old son has managed to do it several times.

When we first purchased the item , we accidentally purchased the HTRT366LP which is the liquid propane version of the HTRT366NG. We were moving into a new house and assumed they had liquid propane. We bought the wrong gas type:(.

I remember calling the manufacturer(Hypotheory) and speaking to one or two different customer services reps over a 3 week period about questions I had just like you about service and parts,etc. They all were very nice and assured me I had nothing to worry about.

The ironic thing is we realized the gas type mistake nine months after we purchased the range top. So I would definitely say the parts department is very nice and professional. A normal appliance company would charge for the conversion kit, Hypotheory did not, they mailed us one free of charge with free shipping.

Based on my research with them I have found the easiest way to order parts is to call their customer service line and they will then forward you to the parts department. That is how I got my conversion kit. They naturally sell everything you need and are very quick in sending parts out to you or your technician. You can also call the appliance dealer you purchased the item from as another method.

My husband thought the item was malfunctioning after we installed it and he mentioned the gas valve, the parts department was prepared to send us six gas valves at no cost and pay for the repair, but they requested we first spoke to technical support, the technical support department actually helped us understand we just simply were using nozzles for the wrong gas type and our gas valves worked perfectly fine.

Parts told me they would handle it and that I should calm down, I felt as if I knew them on a friend level vs business, I chatted with them for about 20 minutes. They shipped out a natural gas conversion kit via USPS and it arrived in a few business days and they also registered me in the system at the same time, so that I would not need to register online.

Hypotheory customer service also issued me a 5 year extended warranty (parts & labor) in replacement of the 3 year warranty I was issued by my appliance dealer for the inconvenience. They knew it was my fault and they still gave me a reward. I was a bit confused because you do not normally get that type of customer service from appliance companies if you make the mistake.

Normally appliance companies are like insurance companies just trying to get the customer in and out. This company is not like that at all.

They use Repair Master for repair & service related jobs. This is a fact, when my warranty was shipped that was the name of the warranty certificate company. You can research this company at http://repairmaster.com or by calling 800-292-7726. I called them a couple of times and they asked me if I needed to file a repair claim, I replied and told them "No just making sure you are still there" they replied with a laugh and stated "We are not going anywhere, we're only the biggest warranty company in America". I am very inquisitive myself. Doesn't hurt inquiring.

There is no fee at all to the appliance owner either when a repair is needed. Repair Master is a Warrant Tech/Am Trust company, two of the largest warranty companies in the country based on my research. Their warranty is also backed by Wesco Insurance Company, at 866-505-4048 or 59 Maiden Lane, 6th Floor, New York, NY 10038. So if ever Repair Master went out of business Wesco would pay for the repair according to Wesco. So I would say it is more safer buying through Hypotheory then GE or Electrolux, since GE & Electrolux only back their warranty against their companies survival.

Hypotheory has 2 huge third parties and Hypotheory backing their warranty. That is 3 large companies protecting your appliance. Hypotheory covers the product for one year labor and five year parts and then I believe transfers the labor coverage over after the manufacturer warranty expires to Repair Master. This is what most appliance companies do that offer extended warranties.

Hypotheory also utilizes Repair Master's vendors for repair related services according to customer service, so that gives them the networking resources and ability to service the entire U.S.A & most of Canada, since Repair Master is dispatching the calls.

I am very comfortable with Hypotheory. I would definitely buy from them again, but so far there really isn't much to complain about, the appliance works as it did the first day we installed it. My husband is also cheap and we do not plan to remodel again for a very long time.

Sorry if this is very long but I figured what the hell. Karma. If I was treated good as a customer I mind as well invest some time in giving good feedback back to my manufacturer.

If anybody needs to call me with more questions please e-mail me and send me your number, stay at home mom.

Angelica Valentino

• Buehl
    10 years ago

If you haven't already and it's not too late, I suggest posting this on the "Discussions" side of Kitchens. This is the "Gallery" side that's more for finished kitchens and the like. The Discussions side of Kitchens is for on-topic discussions concerning kitchen remodels. You will most likely get many more responses over there. You might also consider posting on the Appliances Forum.

Good luck!

• sallyfromthevalley
    10 years ago

Just FYI, I recently ordered a Hypotheory gas top range. I don't know how I did it, but I accidentally ordered propane rather than natural gas. I called Hypotheory directly-- both numbers on their website. I got voicemail. This was two days ago. No one has called me back. I also emailed with no reply. I had issues with the company I ordered from as well. Please look into the company before you buy!

• bettyannfaust
    9 years ago

My Husband and I decided to redo our kitchen last year and we came a crossed Hypotheory brand cooktop. I loved the look of the appliance as well as the price tag. We purchased it through the website Tag-n-drop I had a few questions about the appliance before I decided to purchase. I called tag-n-drop i felt they were really helpfully and also gave me a free 5 year warranty for my product. I've been happy with my product and would purchase again.

• kathygrade2teacher
    9 years ago

I purchased a hypo theory gas Range top about 2 years ago I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised and ecstatic on how great this purchase has turned out to be. I was worried because the range top had a remarkably lower price that the quality of the product would be lower than others on the market. When I received the item it came via white glove service as well as being of great quality. I would definitely recommend this product to anyone...

• victorialynn67
    9 years ago

Just obtained the range top, IT WORKS GREAT! LOL I was skeptical at first because I never heard of the brand. bought from tagndrop.com, like it alot! Thank ya'll for the reviews, it helped me a bit make a decision, for those of ya'll that need more reviews like myself you can go here on ebay to read more.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback2&userid=designkitchen&ftab=AllFeedback

Here is a link that might be useful: Hypotheory HTRT366 Product Link

• aimeekate9
    8 years ago

Last year I bought a Hypotheory 36" cooktop from an ebay seller. I have had it for a little over a year now. It works okay but it is nothing to write home about. Sometimes the igniter doesn't want to work properly and then I have issues with the flames coming out of the burners. If I turn the smaller burners down to low, they sputter. That shouldn't happen. The flames should continue to be uniform, even at a low setting. It's basically just a metal box with wire, igniters and burners. There's no motherboard to fritz out or electronic parts to fail. The styling is very spartan. It's been easy to clean, easier than my previous Jenn Aire glass gas cooktop, so I will give it that. But honestly, if I had more money to spend, I would have gone with Wolf or Thermador. This company is relatively unknown here in America (does it even exist in Europe?) and it doesn't have much of a reputation on the internet other than personal reviews posted on site like this one. Finding people that you know personally that have a Hypotheory appliance is rough. Kinda rare - like hen's teeth. But you can find people that own Wolf, Thermador, Electrolux, Aga, etc. To me, that says a lot. It also means a lot to be able to ask someone who isn't a faceless person on the internet how their appliance works and their experience using it. You know that person and trust their word. Not that any of you aren't truthful, but you know what I mean. You just have to wonder why there aren't more people reviewing this product when it is supposedly distributed world-wide.

The other issue is their customer service. My experience is that when you are on the phone with them they will sweet-talk you and promise a resolution and then - nothing. I've been waiting for the warranty paperwork for a year now. I contacted them a few months after I bought the cooktop to ask about the paperwork and was told it was on its way. Today, when I contacted Hypotheory to ask about the paperwork again, they told me that since the cooktop was shipped to my husband's work, we were obviously using it for commercial purposes and they wouldn't honor the warranty. My husband works for a bank (duh, no propane cooktops allowed in a bank where there is flammable paperwork - like tens, twenties, hundreds, you know, paper money). The cooktop is installed in my kitchen and has been since we received it. They then demanded that my propane company write them a letter stating that they had hooked up the cooktop and/or wanted a picture of the cooktop before they "might" change their minds. Just because we choose to ship it somewhere it would be safe, as we live out in the country. When we redo the kitchen I will definitely be selling this unit and getting something else. To anyone considering purchasing one - just be careful. Something isn't right about this company,

• atozinspections
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

I used to work for Sears telemarketing department years ago and the only time an appliance company will challenge your warranty is if you had the appliance shipped to a restaurant address. From what it sounds like that is likely what happened. The fact you state the appliance "works ok" shows me you are pleased with the appearance and functionality of It or else you would of surely of mentioned some flaw since you are angry you were caught using a residential appliance for commercial purposes: not cool!

I am now a home inspector in south carolina and I actually came across one of these Hypotheory appliances on an inspection six months ago and it was instAlled 12 years to date and still working beautifully. I checked all flames on the hypotheory range top and electrical coils on the single wall oven and passed with flying colors. So amazingly your review has convinced me to buy the appliance contrary to what you initially wrote it for. Thanks.

• aimeekate9
    8 years ago

To atozinstpections: (a) your reading comprehension is clearly lacking. I AM NOT A COMMERICAL BUSINESS NOR AM I USING THE APPLIANCE FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES. The appliance was shipped to a BANK address where my husband works because we live way out in the country and there have been many burglaries here recently. Should I leave a $1,000+ cooktop out in the open to be stolen when I know that's not a good idea? Not a good idea. Plus, his workplace has a dock for easy unloading - the stove came in a big and bulky box that was rather heavy. This stove has been and has always been in my kitchen at home; (b) I am not "pleased" with it - it's just "ok"; and (c) , as an update, one of the burners does not work the way it should. It sputters and the flame goes out on the outside of the ring and it will not consistently cook. So yes, I have complaints with it, since you asked.

If you decided to buy this stove based on my review, then more power to you. I personally don't care whether people buy one or not. My goal is to always report things fairly and honestly so people can gather enough information to make their own decisions. If you like it, then that's great. I'm just not impressed with this company and won't be buying from them again. And that's my opinion. If they continue to refuse to honor my warranty, I have many options available to me to ensure that they do what they promised. They are not only bound by the rules of the state they operate in but also by Federal law and the Better Business Bureau. I'm being honest and they are looking for a way out. I think people have a right to know that before they decide to make a purchase.

By the way you write, you sound like you work for Hypotheory or have some sort of a business connection with them. You appear to be taking my review far too personally by just reading some anonymous review on the web, written by someone you don't even know. I wonder why you care so much. Maybe you should ask yourself that as well.

• doitfaster1
    8 years ago

Do not buy anything Hypo Theory they do not stand behind their products I know this because I bought one of their Ranges that worked for about 45 minutes, I had it Installed by a Professional and all they have done is ignore me with one exception they offered to take it back if I paid them!

• happywifehappylife1
    8 years ago

Love my appliance, not many times do customers go in forums to compliment a company usually they are happy and keep it amongst themselves. Only bitter customers complain from what I researched that is why I couldnt take some people serious. I thought I owed it to the company for sending me a free griddle with my new gorgeous HTG366. I did some research before I bought found out they are after market serviced by Adco service which is a very high end nationwide service network that Wolf appliances, and many other major oven brands use. I will say quality wise the oven is comparable to the Wolf range, i had an old Wolf range but I wasnt about to fough out 8 grand for a new one, i did not get a look at the internals but oven works great has good simmer and hogh triple rong burner output capabilities. Very well made. Plenty of room for cooking and i liked the rotisserie kit most companies charge an arm and a leg for one, my chicken is very easy to cook with it. My only issue was they should offer in house delivery with their free shipping, if you want the oven to go in house you have to pay them an extra $100 for a few feet into your kitchen, they state this is the freight courier fee supposedly. Overall good company with very high end appliances though.

• Win Curtis
    8 years ago

doitfaster1 did you buy the range from the company itself, or from another distributor? Did you not get a warranty with the product? If so, did they not help with the repair? I'm asking because I purchased the gas range back in November and am still waiting for delivery- been told delays due to holidays and shipping issues-and am getting nervous about it not working or them not honoring the warranty, etc. Maybe I'm being anxious for no reason, but waiting this long has me nervous.

• caltrop
    8 years ago

It's amazing how many people register on this forum just to post a single positive comment about Hypotheory, and then are never heard from again.

• aimeekate9
    8 years ago

I'd like to respond to happywifehappylife1 - people who come on here to post their concerns with the operation of an appliance are not always bitter. Some of us just want to share our experience to try and save others from the same problems we experienced with Hypotheory. For those of you that own a Hypotheory and are happy with its operation, I am honestly and truly happy for you that you do not have to deal with any issues. Life is hard enough without knowing that you spent a good chunk of money on something that doesn't work the way it is supposed to. Now that it has been over a year, my warranty that Hypotheory refused to recognize has now ended. I am still having issues with the unit (burners don't fire right, they sputter and sometimes go out completely while I am using them).

• Guido Deutschler
    8 years ago

Do not buy these product, I have one and there are problems, it does not work right and HYPO tells me, the warranty is void, I have shipping damage and should have filed a claim with them. 2 of the burners are not working right and there is no damage on the outside of the unit.

• aimeekate9
    7 years ago

Update on Warranty - Just got a call from a company named New Leaf Service. They asked me if I wanted to renew my warranty on the cooktop as they are showing it expired in their system as of yesterday. I explained to them that the cooktop was supposed to be covered for a total of three years, which is what I was told when I bought it. I was told that was incorrect. I was told the warranty was on;y good for two years total. I explained to them the problem that I had with Hypotheory honoring the warranty. I told them that I never even knew that New Leaf was the administrator of my warranty because I never got the paperwork for it in the first place. I also patiently told her that I couldn't make a claim for what was wrong with my cooktop previous to this time because Hypotheory refused to give me this information. So Hypotheory never honored my warranty and never told me that I needed to contact New Leaf. I now have a cooktop that doesn't work right and no warranty. I don't want to see this happen to anyone else. Here is the number to contact New Leaf in case you are in the same boat I am but still have a warranty left. The number is to their renewal department but it is a good start. It's 1--877-634-0964.

• CEFreeman_GW DC/MD Burbs 7b/8a
    7 years ago

aimeekate9, is that a warranty scam? I'd be concerned about that, without talking directly.

I was also wondering how many people registered to review "the item" (huh?) and will just disappear again. Shame.

• aimeekate9
    7 years ago

Hi CEFreeman - I'm not sure what is going on with this but it is certainly suspicious. Hypotheory has a few complaints with the New York BBB regarding warranties. They have refused to resolve the issue with the complainants - no surprise. Also, one of the complainants said that they contacted the NKBA to complain about Hypotheory. According to this person, the NKBA said that Hypotheory is not even a member of that organization. The complainant said that it is prominently listed on Hypotheory's website that they are members.

• James B. Stanton
    7 years ago

We just bought a house with one of these installed. It definitely doesn't work right. Especially the oven. I can't really figure out how to use it properly. Argh!

• carrillopm
    6 years ago

Please don,t buy this stove, I have a 36 inch stove and it has never worked right. The gas oven continually shuts off and then will not turn back on. The two middle burners on top were hook up backwards and the thermostadt would not stop at the temperature it was set, instead just kept getting hotter, a real fire hazard. The company is impossible to work with, they threaten you and call you a liar. I have printed conversations with their chat line. I have given up on trying to resolve anything with them. It is now two years of problems and I will junk this and buy a different brand. Buyer beware.............................

• tom_pohlman
    6 years ago

Do Not and I repeat myself Do Not buy anything with the name on or implied coming from Hypotheory appliance, they posted a good game, had web sites in Canada, Italy and the US. Had to do a Credit Card charge back due to a none delivered hood and the 36"" Free Standing NG Range is Garbage. As a Certified Chef and retired military explosives expert this $2300.00 Free Standing Range is going to see its day soon, I.e. Blown to the moon. Temp Gage doesn't work, Oven won't stay lit, Salamander won't say lit and good luck getting hold of anyone from there. People like this will that put products out will see there day. Be smart and Stay away from these thief's called Hypotheory appliance,

• pennfinishing
    6 years ago

lgbeddow, do you have an update on your experience? We too bought the 36 dual fuel range in 2016 and the oven never got past 360 degrees. It's in our seasonal property and we didn't have time to deal with it last year so now I can't get a return call or email from Hypotheory. Their web site is down, along with the link for the manual that they had sent us

• aimeekate9
    3 years ago

It's been about 4 years since I responded to this thread. Since then I've learned a bit about e-commerce. I believe Hypotheory was a drop shipping company importing cheap appliances from China. They created a fiction to sell these units to make a tidy profit and then disappeared when customers began to complain and others began to investigate. Just came across a company called Cosmos. Their cooktops look suspiciously like the one I bought. The manual is the same as the one I have for my unit. I think Hypotheory may have rebranded themselves. I will be looking into it. I encourage others to do the same.

• aimeekate9
    3 years ago

Cosmos has also been fined by the State of California. My cooktop is a piece of junk. The black plastic behind each knob is cracking and breaking. Two of the metal burner rings have warped over time, leading to a lack of flame. This is just junk. I now need to get another cooktop because I highly doubt I can find the parts I need. My only other option is to investigate Cosmos to see if they can provide me parts so I can limp along using this stove until I can afford an actual quality cooktop made by a known manufacturer. My $1,200 cooktop doesn't seem like much of a bargain now.

• aimeekate9
    3 years ago

lgbeddow - I would be interested in an update if you have the time and the inclination. Thanks!