Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marciab10

My Old World Kitchen~Better Late than Never

Marcia B
15 years ago

I posted a month or so ago my sad saga about our cabinet maker going out of business just about the time we were ready for install.. after many $$$ & much time lost, . we do finally have our dream kitchen... And dream home..

This was new construction, and we were owner/builders.

Cream Cabinets- Hampshire Cabinet Company

Maple -Youngstown beaded inset Parchment paint-brushed medium distressing, Van Dyke Brown glaze

Alder Island, Black Island, and Black Beverage center, custom made Jason Maechtle Carpentry (contracted after first cabinet maker went BK)

Granite- Persian Sand

Custom Walnut top made by Midwest Trim/Elburn Il

Cabinet Hardware- Baer Oil Rubbed Bronze

Floors- Hand scraped Walnut- Don Snow Flooring/ Elgin Il

Hardware- Baer- oil rubbed bronze

Sinks- Copper Farm Sink bought online from Manhattan Design

Lacquer Finish - Flat Patina- Coffee Surface- Smooth

Faucets- Danze

Lighting- Capital - Westwood in English Chestnut

Appliances- 42 in GE Monogram Fridge

48 in GE Monogram Cook top with Grill and Griddle

GE Monogram double convection ovens

GE Monogram Beverage Fridge

GE Monogram Icemaker

GE Profile Microwave

FP Dishdrawers

Backsplash - DIY tile bought from the Tile Store

Wall Color- Benjamin Moore Oakwood Manor

Chairs and Barstools- Artistica Marquess

Kitchen Table- Martha Stewart/Bernhardt- purchased at a clearance center, and had refinished to match our cabinets.. base- cream- top alder

Pantry- custom made shelves by trim carpenters

Floor- Mexican Saltillo Tiles

Appliances- GE French Door Fridge

The 3 things I like the best in my new kitchen..

1. The Walk In Pantry
  2. The lighting..(doesnÂt show well in pictures)
  3. The Flooring

The 2 Things IÂd do differently

1. DonÂt like the mircowave set low in an island, might try to switch out later for a micorwave drawer, or might move to the panty
  2. Previously had a Monogram 48 in fridge.. Thought with the 2nd fridge in the pantry AND a beverage fridge the 42 would be fine.. Wish I went with the 48

{{gwi:1537172}}

{{gwi:1554436}}

{{gwi:1554438}}

{{gwi:1554440}}

{{gwi:1554442}}

{{gwi:1554444}}

Here is a link that might be useful: More pictures

Comments (9)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Very nice kitchen!

It's beautiful overall, but what really took my breath away was your eating/breakfast nook and that view! What a wonderful space you've created!

• michellemarie
    14 years ago

marciab 10,
    I love your kitchen and I think mine will end up looking a lot like yours. Is the trimwork in the surrounding areas knotty alder? Do you remember the stain color?
    Also, how do you like your GE Monogram appliances? I have purchased the same ones except I went with the 48 inch frig and I am also going to have the advantium. Do you like your Danze bridge faucet? What about the walnut countertop? I have 6 kids and wonder if a wood countertop would hold up.

• jojolatour
    14 years ago

I am just starting my kitchen. Your kitchen is the look I am going for. It is gorgeus. Would you mind emailing me better pictures. jojojohnston@comcast. The last part of address is not com but net. Not sure if we can ask for this but Oh well thanks. I would be truly grateful. I am torn between granite and wood on my island.

• Marcia B
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Haven't checked here in awhile~ glad I did

michellemarie- Our trim is all knotty alder. I went and looked for the stain, it was a dark walnut stain.

I am very happy with all the appliances. My only two regrets, I still regret. The fridge isn't that big a deal, but I really don't like the low microwave.

I didn't want the Danze bridge faucet. I liked the look, but thought it would be a pain to clean around. DH won that decision. No big deal to clean around. Glad we got it.(don't tell him though ~ (:

The walnut countertop is pretty durable. Just have to remember not to put anything hot on it, like we can on granite. I don't think I'd like it in my whole kitchen, but for the island I love the way it looks. Good luck! Will be looking forward to your pictures.

jojo, I will email you a link to better pictures

• hirbrb
    14 years ago

Absolutely beautiful kitchen,exceptional finishes and attention to detail.

• patty_cakes
    14 years ago

All I can say is......OOOOOH LALA! ;o)

• Marcia B
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you! After a little over a year, I still love being in my kitchen!

• tinycastles
    12 years ago

This is a really old thread, but I found it when I was going through my bookmark bar and I just wanted to say: I love your kitchen. It is beautiful, and your home looks stunning. Love the floor, the beams, your cabinets, everything! My new home/kitchen are completed, but your kitchen was one I had saved for "inspiration". I hope you are still enjoying the fruits of your labor:)

• sanjuangirl
    12 years ago

Congratulations on turning a difficult time with your cabinet debacle into a fabulous and beautiful kitchen! It makes me less worried that at some point my new reno we'll be finished and hopefully have a finished kitchen as beautiful as yours.

Sponsored
Urban Upkeep LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's High Quality Painting Expert