Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bruinjen93

Finished Creamy White Kitchen!

bruinjen93
18 years ago

Hi!

I am a frequent lurker here and a not-so-frequent poster, but I want you to know how invaluable you all have been to me during this "process." My friends and family think I'm a bit loopy to claim THS as my most prized resource throughout the remodel, but it is so true! ArtTeacher, Claire de Luna, Fairegold, Femmelady, Mary228,lowspark and so many others, your ideas were truly inspirational.

In our 1940s house, we opened up a wall between the kitchen and dining room, adding a penninsula to separate our new breakfast area from the main kitchen. We also opened up a "window" which overlooked a formally unused space in our addition, turning it into an arched pass-thru to a new formal dining room. We redid our teeny-tiny powder room and replaced the old formica built-ins in our family room with those made of...wood! We also refinished all the wood floors in the house.

We are so fortunate to have had a fantastic GC who was here every weekday from start to finish, enabling completion within 8 weeks.

Here are the details:

Floor in kitchen (and entire house): Red Oak finished in Early American stain

Cabinets: Medallion Brookhill in maple painted with Oyster Vintage glazed finish

Granite: Uba Tuba

Breakfast Bar: Cherry

Fridge: LG French Door Cabinet Depth

Dishwasher: LG

Range: KitchenAid Dual Fuel Convection

Hood: Sirius

Microwave: Panasonic Genius Prestige Convection Microwave

Wine Refrigerator: Marvel Beverage Center

Lights: Seagull Ambiance Lo-Voltage Xenon

Paint in kitchen: Sherwin Williams Olive Branch

Paint in Dining Room and Family Room: Sherwin Williams Tobacco Road

Sinks: Blanco Silgranit in Anthracite

Faucets: Micco Seashore in Oil Rubbed Bronze

(Never MT and Airswitches on Disposals)

Hardware: Top Knobs in Oil Rubbed Bronze

We absolutely love our "new" house!

Thank you for celebrating it with us.

Hope this link works:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jenbruin93/album?.dir=7b33&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Comments (33)

• bruinjen93
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oops...forgot to add backsplash info:

Venezia Travertine in Chiaro and Noce Rhomboid behind range and 4X4 Chiaro alone elsewhere.

• mlaj2000
    18 years ago

Gorgeous kitchen. And the rest of house ain't so bad either ;)

• evaperconti
    18 years ago

Very beautifully done! It looks warm, elegant and tasteful!

• gfiliberto
    18 years ago

Wow! Beautiful kitchen! And lovely home!
    Love your backsplash and nice open feeling!
    Here's a link to the photos~

Here is a link that might be useful: Jen's kitchen

• gw:claire-buoyant
    18 years ago

Fabulous integration of vintage detail with modern conveniences. Absolutely gorgeous!! You're attention to detail really paid off!

• ranchreno
    18 years ago

bruinjen,

I love, love, love it! Exactly what I'm looking to do, but I don't have as much space unfortunately. Love the arch "window" to the dining room and how you've used a partial wall in the family room.

What are the dimensions of your kitchen with and without the breakfast area?

Thanks!

• legardhome
    18 years ago

Beautiful space! Love the oyster vintage finish, the heavy crown molding and the cherry counter. The location of your beverage fridge was very clever! Your dining room table looks like one I am considering from Nichols and Stone for my breakfast room.
    Please post about how your KA range is working. I have the same one. I'm currently fighting with their customer service department because the oven knobs turn much too easily, therefore if I brush against them while stirring something on the rangetop I turn the oven off, and don't realize it!

• bruinjen93
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you all for your kind comments and thanks to artteacher for posting a link for me:)

Ranchreno, the dimensions of our kithen are 12 X 24 (including the breakfast area) and 12 X 12 from the backsplash behind the prep sink to the backsplash behind the main sink (i.e. not including the breakfast bar counter). We had initially hoped to have an island, but decided that our space would prove too narrow. I actually have ended up loving how the penninsula provides a nice separation from the living areas and my cooking space(although my 2 1/2 yo daughter thinks my cooking space is the perfect place for her ballerina twirling!)

• bruinjen93
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Legardhome, we bought our table 5 years ago on clearance after falling in love with it, but never ever used it because we never found chairs to go with it.

I haven't had the trouble you describe with our KA range. My only complaint is that I'm having trouble figuring out how much time to take off for convection cooking; our turkey at Thanksgiving was done in 2 1/2 hours, when I had alotted 5! I hope their customer service proves helpful for you.

• sedeno77
    18 years ago

just beautiful!

• texashottie
    18 years ago

Really beautiful!! I love the colors that you chose! Very classy..

• Neverdone
    18 years ago

Your kitchen is really warm and inviting! Congrats on a job well done!

As a side note....what color is the paint in your family room and dining room?

• redbazel
    18 years ago

Love the whole thing--nice pictures! Makes me wish I had creamy cabinets. I used Olive Branch in my laundry room and used the Tobacco Road in my Master Bath. It's funny how different they appear in the photos. My Olive Branch looks much darker, and the Tobacco Road looks much golder in your shots. I can't even take a good pic of it in my bath, because the light is so bad.

• bunglogrl
    18 years ago

Very pretty. Congratulations!

• berdan
    18 years ago

Congratulations, it's beautiful! I love your paint colors.

• tkln
    18 years ago

Really really pretty...I love the pass through window. Congratulations!

• momto4kids
    18 years ago

Gorgeous!! Really, really nice job! Enjoy!

• michoumonster
    18 years ago

hi jen, what a gorgeous kitchen! was wondering, are the built-ins in yoru family room also from medallion?

• cathyann
    18 years ago

Jen....Thanks for the info!!

I went back and looked at your table and chairs again. May I ask what finish you chose for the table? Is it black like the chairs? Or a dark wood??

Again, I love it!

Cathy

• bruinjen93
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Cathy. I am afraid I don't remember the exact finish of our table. I know it is birch rather than oak. I found our order receipt, but it's all coded without the name of the finish written anywhere. It is a darker wood, and the antiquing picks up the black from the chairs. Sorry I don't have more info for you, but if you find a store near you that carries Canadel, they will have all the color options in a display.

• bruinjen93
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi Michoumonster. We had the built-ins made by a local custom cabinetmaker. Medallion wouldn't have been able to customize them as much as we needed.

• pecanpie
    18 years ago

Oh, wow! It's gorgeous!

• wangshan
    18 years ago

What a great place! So nice! You must be so happy!

• gail2
    18 years ago

It's very lovely! Especially like the arch, backsplash and wall color. Congratulations on your elegant and beautiful kitchen!

• ranchreno
    18 years ago

Oh bruinjen, I'm so excited. Just read your reply re dimensions and it is literally the same as mine. 12x24 for both kitchen proper and eating area. Must be fate! I just printed off a "proof sheet" with all of your beautiful photos so I can take it to my architect and say "I want THIS" ;-) Hope you don't mind!

I've been struggling with whether or not I can have a white/cream kitchen with a fairly open layout that incorporates richer colors in the family/dining areas. Our color schemes are virtually identical down to the wall and upholstory colors. The only difference being that we don't really have any white in the family room where you do use some for the entertainment center. But I think it will still be okay.

Thanks so much for reading my mind and doing such a beautiful job!

• bruinjen93
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Ranchreno- I'm so happy that you are able to get what you want (and that I was able to provide you with a visual for what it might look like!) We love, love, love the design of the new kitchen in terms of functionality. It has virtually changed the way we live in our home. Best of luck...can't wait to see your pictures!

• starpooh
    18 years ago

Hi Jen - I sent you an email about including your kitchen in the Finished Kitchens blog. May I please have your permission to post as described in the email?

btw.. your kitchen and home are lovely!

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Kitchens blog

• chclis
    17 years ago

I love, love, love your kitchen! In fact, I'm considering doing a similar one - Medallion Brookhill but in the Morel Vintage glaze. Are you still happy with the cabinets now that you've lived with them for a while? Do you have a molding along the bottom of the upper cabinets? I just realized that when we got pricing for ours, I didn't ask for this molding to be included, so now I'm wondering if I'd be okay without it. What did you do for a toe kick?

• athomewith3
    17 years ago

Okay, if i EVER move and get the chance to re do another kitchen yours will be my inspiration.......Just BEAUTIFUL!!! Enjoy your new space!!!

• dawnby
    17 years ago

hi-

What a beautiful kitchen! Can you tell me where you got the stools and what color are they?

thanks

• catkin
    17 years ago

Can't get in to see! :(

• dreedree
    17 years ago

What a lovely kitchen! Would you mind giving me some information on your chandelier? It's just what I've been searching for...!

• bbs_homeshop
    15 years ago

Can you direct me to where your photos are now. The Yahoo link is down. Also, I'm tearing my hair out deciding on Medallion Oyster Vintage or Morel Vintage. I'm worried that Oyster will have a yellow look and that Morel is too white..

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz