Backsplash - Ann Sacks Sakura

Sinks - Elkay ELU

Faucets - Danze Parma

Range - 36" Bluestar RNB

Hood - 48" Futuro Futuro Plane

Refrigerator - 24" Thermador Freedom

Freezer - 18" Thermador Freedom

Dishwasher - Bosch Integra

Stools - from the Sundance Catalog (avoid them, they keep breaking)

From Kitchen Pics 12/29/08

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

Thanks!

Comments (25)

• stussy49
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgot a few things...

Island Outlets - Mockett Pop-Up
    Floors - Wide Plank Rustic White Oak
    Windows - Loewen Douglas Fir
    Outdoor Grill - DCS 36" Built-In

• acountryfarm
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Beautiful, oh did I forget to say beautiful!!!

Enjoy !!!

• morton5
    15 years ago

This is one of my all-time-favorite kitchens. You have done an absolutely stunning job. And thanks for validating my taste, because I have the same range, hood and copper tea kettle! (Okay, my range is not a cool color like yours, but you made me feel good anyway). May you enjoy many wonderful times in your serene, warm space.

One question-- how high did you mount the hood above your range? Mine is at 28 3/4 and I am thinking that I should have mounted it lower.

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

I love your wide plank rustic white oak floors that is perfect for your space. What a relaxing kitchen you have created. I can't go too wide in my home due to the dryness in the winter time with the forced hot air heat on all the time.

• stussy49
    Original Author
    15 years ago

morton5 - I think we mounted the hood 30" above the range. Generally speaking, these flat hoods aren't the most effective (but they look great!). Going with the 48" model over the 36" range was definitely a good idea.

lynn2006 - We're in upstate NY, and we went with random 5" - 8" white oak planks that are generally 10' - 12' long throughout the house. So far (since last February), we haven't had any issues. We also have forced air heat, but we installed a steam-based humidification system to keep the air from getting too dry in the winter.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

I just realized you were Bill and Nina! I love your home and the bathroom cabinet that your local cabinet maker made is one of my favorites. A redacted and well chosen set of items make your kitchen and home really lovely!

• stussy49
    Original Author
    15 years ago

homepro01 - That's us! Thanks for the compliment. Our local mill worker actually did a lot for us - our master bath vanity, guest bath countertop, fireplace cabinetry, room dividing doors, and our dining room table. He is quite talented.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Stunning is the word for it! Also, efficient while still being roomy and having task zones. Such a great workspace.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

Oh! I remember your very different and very lovely BS! I remember wondering if I could do something similar...but alas, I think it needs a modern look.

Wonderful job!!!

You also did a great job "staging" your kitchen for pictures!

Now, go enjoy it!

• danielle00
    15 years ago

fabulous! I love everything about it.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Can I please, please move in??? Your kitchen is gorgeous. Great lines, beautiful cabinetry. It's serene and has a look of outstanding quality. Anyway you can post a close-up of the Caeserstone counters? Are they honed or polished?

I love minimalism...if you can call it that. I guess I can say that I love lack of clutter and clear focal points which your kitchen clearly has.

Those stools look great and the lines of the legs look good with the branches on the backsplash. I hope you can find a replacement since they keep breaking on you.

• janeincolorado
    15 years ago

I love this! I, too, would love close ups of the countertop and the dimensions of the island. Thanks, Jane

• stussy49
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks again for the kind words.

I'll post a photo of the countertops this weekend - please check back Monday.

The island is the same width as the back wall, which is about 13' long, and it is 3'8" deep. It provides enough room for a couple of prep cooks, one chef, and three or four spectators. We entertain a lot, and this is where everyone congregates.

We also put about 4 feet between the back cabinets and the island, which turned out to be very important. It allows two people to comfortably pass each other, or one person to get by an open dishwasher or refrigerator.

I've attached the original plan below...

• allison0704
    15 years ago

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job.

• somanychoices
    15 years ago

What a beautiful, cool kitchen! I really love your cabinets, and the blend of modern and a hint of rustic is great. Would you mind telling me about your kitchen table and chairs? I love the look.

• stussy49
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi somanychoices,

Our farm table was custom made by our mill worker from reclaimed oak that he had in storage for over 20 years. Once built, he fumed the table to give it an even more weathered look. It's 9 feet long, has built in drawers on either side, and uses spline joinery to keep the four top planks together.

The chairs are the 1934 dining chair and 1956 armchair from the Sundance Catalog. DWR has a similar dining chair called the Marais AC.

Here's an older picture of the table and chairs...

From bill + nina's dutchess digs

• tar_heel
    15 years ago

I want to move in, too, please! :) I just snuck a peek at your gallery and would LOVE to know details about your bathroom. It's the clean, modern look that I'd love to design in our new space. Thanks much!

• somanychoices
    15 years ago

Hi, billyc -

Thanks for the table/chairs info., and the additional picture. I really love it! I'm having a company make a new table top for a wrought-iron trestle base, and I want something that looks beautiful but lived in, like yours. One more question - what kind of finish do you have on the table? Is it easy to care for and clean? I have two young, messy boys (and I'm not always careful myself...!).

• Laurie
    15 years ago

Your kitchen looks fantastic : ) The floors have a nice color contrast with your cabinets. Regarding your floors, you mention white oak and plank widths & lengths. Can you tell me the flooring brand?, engineered?, and how it was installed...glued down, floated, or? It looks like they are straight edge, I don't see any bevels.

• cheri127
    15 years ago

WOW! Your kitchen is fabulous. I love it. Perfect in everyway and looks like a dream to work in. Have fun!!!!

• stussy49
    Original Author
    15 years ago

somanychoices & laurie2008,

I'd replied last night, but the post doesn't seem to have taken...

I'm not sure about the finish on the table. Our mill worker used Duravar elsewhere in the house (including a wood bathroom counter) and it provides great matte protection. But that was always on a smooth surface, whereas this table has more surface variation.

The flooring is from a mill in western Connecticut. It's got a ton of character, including a lot of variation in color and grain. While this is exactly what we wanted, it must not be everyone's top choice, because it was extremely inexpensive. We only cut out knots that went all the way through the plank, and we did not fill those we kept. We think it just looks more natural that way.

The flooring is not engineered. The planks are 3/4" solid oak with stress grooves on the underside. They do not have bevels, and were glued and blind nailed. So far, they haven't moved at all.

• buddyrose
    15 years ago

Wow. My tongue is hanging out and I'm thinking "my life stinks cuz I don't live in your house!" Just joking, I'm a happy camper but I LOVE WHAT YOU DID.

Since so many questions have been answered above, I have just one more: what color paint is on the walls? It's looks like it's a blue green OR a green/blue. It's gorgeous. Great looking kitchen.

• alice462
    15 years ago

What an extraordinary home! Not only is your kitchen to die for, the whole house is absolutely exquisite and looks perfect in the setting. A cool drink by that pool.......aaahhh!

• axxis_rose
    15 years ago

GORGEOUS. Where is the sofa from?

• stussy49
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi,

The sofa is from Room & Board. It's the Townsend model in a custom fabric.

The paint is Benjamin Moore Aura, but I'm not sure the actual color. It's a beige/gray/green.