Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarak123

marble or not!!!!!

tarak123
10 years ago

We are in the process of remodeling our kitchen and I absolutely love the look of marble for my center island. My cabinets are close to a Dove White and I've chose enhanced brushed black graninte for my cabinets on the perimeter of my kitchen. For my island my cabinets are a dark walnut (really dark brown) so I was thinking of doing a marble on my island, but have been told by soooo many people not to!! That it's impossible to maintain especially with children. For those who have chosen Marble for their kitchen do you have many regrets? And what are the issues I'll have to worry about? is it really that terrible to have it in my kitchen with two young kids? I just cant seem to find another stone that gives me a similar look. THanks in advance and feedback for greatly appreciated!

Comments (6)

• patrice607
    9 years ago

I put marble in my bathroom (used by 3 teens) It was a mistake. There are marks all over it. If you decide to go for it, suggest a honed - not shiny - finish.

• MrsShayne
    9 years ago

I love love love the looks of marble but it also scares me, it's not cheap so to pay that much and have to worry about stains, etching, yellowing etc, I wouldn't chance it. I'd choose something that mocks it...

• huango
    9 years ago

I'm not going to sugar-coat it.

The first 2 years of "waiting for it to patina" was rather difficult, with each new etch digging into my heart a bit more and more.

But I think I'm past that hurdle, where I no longer run around making sure I cut lemon on the wooden peninsula, instead of the marble; or clearing up the marble countertop every minute afraid of missing a spot, or questioning HOW this new scratch came about...

Right now, my countertop is not cleared off, and I'm okay with it.

I have 2 kids, now 10 and 9, who are now "allowed" to use the marble countertop.

I have 23ft of Vt Danby HONED marble.

I'm accepting each and every etch, and just enjoying the beauty and benefits of the marble (we roll a lot of pizza dough and pie dough, etc).

When we were researching, we just couldn't find a countertop material that sing so beautifully as this marble. Anything else would have been a large compromise/let-down.

Do what makes you happy.

Just note that your first etches WILL hurt.

Amanda

• Robin Freeman
    9 years ago
    I'm with Amanda. We have honed carrara on the perimeter of our kitchen, and it etches like crazy (but staining has not been an issue). But I've stopped worrying about it and I think it still looks as beautiful as ever. It's a natural material that patinas, but the overall look is amazing and I love it. (Fwiw I do have some counters in my kitchen which are quartz, and where I do most of the work that could potentially really stain).
  • Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I have 11 feet of island with honed marble. It has etches all over. No stains. Stains haven't been a problem at all. Only etching. I love my marble. It's my favorite thing in the house. The etches are very clear at an angle in the light, but not so much looking straight on. I cook. I use my counters. My adult kids aren't very careful. And my pre-teen and toddler grandkids obviously aren't careful. The only thing I don't do on my marble is cut without a cutting board (I will do that on my granite occasionally). If you love it, get it.

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

Oh, just a thought. We just bought super white for our basement bathroom vanity top. They say it's granite. There are MANY threads on here about super white and how it isn't really granite and it etches, etc. I brought home a huge chunk of the super white to test it. Nothing, not even lemon juice, etched it. It's only been installed for about 6 weeks, but if I were re-doing my kitchen and decided not to use my statuary marble, this would definitely be on my counters!