Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part V!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 8, 09 at 22:18

HI Guys,

Let's continue the fun of our Mexican Fiesta over here.

Cheers!

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part IV of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part V!

thanks prairie- that was right on cue.

So now we can get back to Lovikening! I mean looks like we didn't get enough last night. So why not?

o

Full disclosure: All the way over on the east coast, my mom & I have already finished a (1.5 liter?) bottle of a lovely Pinot Grigiot.

We wanted Merlot, as we had spaghetti for dinner, but alas, we had polished all of that off the last time she came to vist and my cupboard was bare.

(p.s. please excuse the spelling errors ... I just re-read the above and found like 5 spelling errors. If I got that many wrong to begin with, there are probably twice as many that I missed, LOL. and on that note, I am to bed . . .

o

I'm only here for the voting ...

o
pinot vs merlot

lol Angela :o) I love this " but alas, we had polished all of that off the last time she came to vist and my cupboard was bare. "

Sweet dreams!

o
'Lovikening'

The "Lovikening" thoughts have led me into the shower to take a cold one, naturally.

Now I know it's not a Kitchen shot, but OMG look at this display of stunning Mexican Talavera beauty.

talavera_r1_c1

o

Back to white, cast iron sinks...I have three of 'em.

Main (mine is white), prep and laundry:

entree

bordelaise

bayview

The cabinetmaker made my stand, however, and it's prettier. :-)

o

LOL! Don't go to bed now, Angela! We're just getting warmed up! And Prairie G -- no fair on the limited participation! I mean, if you're here, you've got to all the way!! Especially when there are some around these parts who are determined to take us to the gutter. Last night it was Octopussy. And tonight, it's "little hose bibs!" I ask you: How can a decent and upstanding, morally correct yet stunning, affordable and colorful Mexican kitchen ever get done at this rate?

o

Mmmmmm wine. I'm having a Riesling, oddly enough since I don't really like whites. But it's German and fabulous. And I'm not gonna tolerate any objections, since WE just got 4" of snow with a winter storm warning on the way. Ack!

hey - I posted one last post on Part IV, not realizing it was finito. It's about a fairly cool new but scratched Mico faucet on sale on eBay for $59 instead of $500. It's 12" high with a side sprayer and looks fairly cool and pumpy, no?

Here's a better pic of the style, the Mico Hex (hey, it rhymes with Mex!):

o
Pretty White Sinks

Now those sinks are gorgeous, Pllog!! I sure can't wait to see your kitchen!

o
angela

angela- you couldn't have picked a better time to come on board. The amazing thing is many of us are not alcohol induced so if we were, oh this place would be very interesting.

Which reminds me, I need a glass of Malbec. Thanks Angela. How's that for peer pressure? Steff already told us she was on the ## Margarita.

o
gutter talk

lol marthavila - there ain't no mexican kitchen happening here tonight - gutter? definite possibility. All the way??? hey now - you have me at a disadvantage with the post dentist meds and all lol

circuspeanut found a great faucet find on the last thread. Only problem is that the seller ships only to the US (same issue I'm having with my own faucet hunt). Solman, do you perchance have a US post address?

o

Hey, I didn't post those faucets! Or the hooker ones! I'm an artist. I'm trained to notice these things. Don't get me started on "the father of our country"!

Solman, love the shower. Especially the altar niche. :) My shower is tiled, but it's all boring white loving hands at home installed by the guy who built this place. You do give me ideas though....

o
bribes get you everywhere

Ohhhh for the right amount of Canadian whiskey, I'm sure you can find a willing shipping address amongst us 'Mericans on this thread, Prairie! (seriously)

o
Speaking Of Keeping Your Cards In Close!

plllog- oh hooooo, so there you bask in the full glory of the classic off white kitchen sink proudly flaunting it's every curve and baring all.

I'm not saying anything... hands up!

o
O' Canada!

prairie-girl, well done. or shall I sing:

Oh Canada,
Our home and native land

We stand on guard for thee,
O' Canada, we stand on guard forrrrrr theeeeee.

o

All my wine is in a big ol' TV box awaiting the new kitchen :( The figs came pre-ported and they're just figgy. (But very good!)

Prairie-Girl, I hope you're feeling no pain! :)

That scratched Mico is a bargain!

Thanks, MV! Me too! BTW, update, the samples of the overcooked tiles are in actuality within tolerance of the samples, but she doesn't have a full order and is making some more...)

So, Solman, what do you like in a faucet?

o
Smiley Needed

quick prairie-clapping smiley for the courageous singing in front of a live audience.

o

I miss all the old stand on guards...

Solman, my sinks aren't off! They're white white.

o

Well Ms. Peanut, I'll have to check out our local supply of Canucky Club ;oP. (is it legal to ship across the border?)

Plllog, I can't wait to see your 'after' pics! Do you have 'before' posted somewhere?

Solman, have you narrowed down your 'favourite faucets' for the vote yet? Ooooor perhaps you've already decided and are just keeping it close to your chest? hmmmmm?

o

I'm voting for the Mico on ebay, scratches and all. Love that faucet.

Great shower, the shape, the colors are all nice.

o
no pain, nope, nu uh

oi - I am even slower tonight than usual lol

I missed a zillion posts in between again i see

Here's your clapping smiley for your courageous singing, Solman (very tuneful btw)

nope, no pain, plllog wooooo

~Missy

o

"So, Solman, what do you like in a faucet?"

Backstage I see big, billowing clouds of hairspray, the air filled with fine French Perfume (12 different types) and silhoutees of strappy sexy high heels/faucets everywhere.

I think the contestants are being called to the runway.

Oh it will be so nice, solman will be amongst the panel of International Judges, some of them tipsy from the "spirits" that move them.

o

Missy, most of the used to be there isn't there (lopped off threads), so here's my before.

old kitchen

Solman, you forgot the vaseline and rubber cement.

o
red poppies and tile and oak o my

O my goodness, plllog - did you do the poppy mural? I really kinda like it, but it seems rather overwhelming for the space. Now I can't wait (even more) to see the 'after'.

For some reason Solman, your words evoke this image ...
(the brooms)

o

LOL! Missy, I think that's the effect of the photo and the lack of stuff in the kitchen (taken moments before demolition). There's another few feet of kitchen to the right and left. What overwhelmed the space was that big ol' blank wall that was there. Even before I bought the place I knew it needed a poppy. And a hood. And I had those shelves. The "rising damp" next to the hood is just to cover up the spackle.

Steff, you caught up yet? I just found your message that I'd missed. The wife taking the keys to Honduras is so typical! But don't all guys keep spares in their sock drawers? Anyway, I'm glad it was productive, and welcome back!

o

Uh oh, guys. Between the merlot and the differing time zones, I. am. done. Gotta go to bed now! Just don't do anything I wouldn't do (which leaves the field wide open, of course)! I'll check in to see how our lovely kitchen has progressed in the a.m. Carry on!

o

lol, I thought the 'rising damp' was some sort of other floral mural. I couldn't come up with the flower name however. I really do like the poppy! I love bold 'out there' colours and unexpected touches.

I think the rest must have all hit the hay. I think I am on my way out too - it's been a long day (i think, for me, dreading the dentist is worse than the actual visit).
see you in the am. :o)

o
Five, Four, Three, Two, One...

Live from Hotel Fiesta Americana in Cancun, Mexico and in association with Corona Extra, La Cerveza Mas Fina, and Donna Maria, Mole Deliciosa, ladies and gentlemen, Caballeros y Caballeras, Ninos y Ninas, and for the millions watching around the world, let's get ready to Spouttttttttttttt.

Our first Contestant from New Jersey- Elkay Oldare- 'El Droopy'.

LK9102RB_rdax_406x609

El Droopy stands at 10 1'2' tall with a reach of 91/2' and comes in Oil Rubbed Bronze (at least the last part sounded pretty good). El Droopy likes Peanuts, drinks too much beer, and spends weekends at home sitting on the sofa watching ball games.

Price: $850

Contestant #2 from South Yorkshire, Price Pfister- Portland

Unknown-1

Portland is a proper English gentleman with clean Burberry lines and English Lamp-Post composure. Portland is thrifty and traditional and can be seen mingling in the Fish and Chips with Guinness Pub crowd.

At $124.00, he is the man of the- economic- time.

Contestant #3 from Paris, Cifial-Bridge

Cifial stands at 8 inches in height and exudes Parisian style and French complexity. Cifial enjoys Bordeaux with Lamb Loin in a Mint sauce, and is often seen walking the Champs Elysees with a Hermes Bag.

267.235.v05

Price $350

Contestant #4 from Frankfurt, Germany- Showhouse Felicity

Moen-ShowHouse-S741ORB-Felicity-Single-Handle-Kitchen-Faucet-with-Matching-Side-Spray-Oil-Rubbed-1

Felicity is a tall Northern European at 14 inches, with straight, defined, strict demeanor. He is always structured and focused to accomplish the task at hand with little or no leeway.

Price $550

Contestant #4 from Sweden - Jado Shogun

827800_large

Jado stands at 13 inches high, and convincingly reflects her tall, blonde, Scandinavian DNA. Smooth, fair skinned, blue eyed and often most desirable.

Price $230

Contestant #5 from Provence, Cote D'Azur -New Horizon

3-3170

At 6 inches tall, she exudes the warmth and freshness of the Mediterranean always embracing the floral splendor of Provence. Her figure is a reflection of her most pleasurable desire- Eau de Parfum by Chanel.

Price $290.00 Outlet price- Jerusalem Gold (whatever that is). All sales final.

Contestant # 6- From Chicago, Mico-Hex

K5085WS

16giha8

Mico is 12 inches tall, carries a a rigid, wind-proof demeanor, a little rough on the edges from Chicago traffic, but packaged in an East Side Tavern suit.

At $59, think cheap date.

This next Contestant needs no introduction, it is none other than, Octopussy.

e4a418cad7e9257b3e9de187077c5a02

And at $950 it is a... bargain!

Last But Not Least, In an era of declining birth rates,
El Torro des Los Torros,
From any Saloon, anywhere in the world

One, Two, Three, Four:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AO43p2Wqc08

El LOVI-Ken

21843_PE106844_S4

At 9 inches! LOVI-Ken is stiff, forward, confident, virile, and always ready to go on a moments notice, he is the epitome of , ay yay yay- mi hombre machissimo!

At $89 he is truly 'a lot of bang for the buck'.

And now ladies and gentlemen, we ask you to look the contestants over carefully, and put in your vote for the winner of the 2009 Mexican Kitchen Faucet Pageant.

And while you do that, we will take this break to hear from our proud sponsors.

Here is a link that might be useful: LOVI-Ken Theme Song

o

Judges are asked to look at the proportions relative to the installation environment. Actual day and night time views at sink level below.

DSCF9033

DSCF9044

o

Aha! You tried to move away but I found you.

I'll cast my vote for the Mico first. In case that doesn't work, I'll put the Price Pfister Portland in as a second choice.

Yes, the water heater story is typical. We are working with someone else now. Not only did he not call us, he wasn't willing to negotiate.

o

OMG!!! We've been banished!!!!!

BTW, that's not Mr. Droopy! It's an imposter!!!!

So. Hm... Portland can also be had with a side spray, with or without escutcheon. Question is, do you want a side spray?

Scratched Mico's price is certainly a temptation.

Do you want single lever or two handles?

You have them on parade but you haven't told them the rules yet!

BTW, you might want to let the gang know we're over here in Discussions.

I have a full day, so don't look for me for awhile.

o

Ooops! I meant we're not in discussions. They've banished us to Conversations.

o

"OMG!!! We've been banished!!!!! "

Looks like our palette is just too spicy for mainstream America.

Unbelievable but OK let's decorate our new home because looks like we'll be here now.

I think I like the single lever simplicity and fact that I've never had one.

o

Okay, I'm really leaving now, but had to say that single levers are very convenient, especially in kitchens.

And to ask: Are you familiar with that beloved Canadian product, the Tapmaster?

o

"Tapmaster"? Can't say that I've ever heard of it. What on earth is it?

o
Weather Forecast

Oh by the way, seriously wild weather last night, Snow, hail, howling winds, cold, today, raining and GREY GREY GREY.

Looks like the prairie and plllog and steff, all your wild weather systems have arrived here. Funny thing is we are all in different corners of the map and yet all of us are facing this aggressive torrent of weather. Strange.

o

Well, I have a few guesses as to why we were banished. But what I don't know is -- what the heck is that thing, Solman, that is standing in for a faucet in your most recent sink photos?

o

"But what I don't know is -- what the heck is that thing, Solman, that is standing in for a faucet in your most recent sink photos?"

Oh my, I couldn't resist. After just having written about El-LOVI-Ken, I went downstairs and thought I need to put something on the sink for size perspective and woallah, nearby was my cheesy "Love From Amsterdam" Ceramic gift from 15 years ago. For the record, it is 6 inches tall or long, which ever way you want to look at it!

o
Extra Extra! Read All About It!

Before you think the banged up Mico is such a great deal, wait to you see this!! $79.00 with a Sprayer!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Price-Pfister-34-4TZZ-Marielle-Kitchen-Faucet-w-Spray_W0QQitemZ390118128800QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5ad4da3ca0

16745-1

o

Uh. Okay! That's what I thought! It also confirms one of my theories as to why we got banished. LOL!

o

hmmmmm banished eh? someone must have been very bad!! hah - I see now in solman's latest sink pics. lol bad bad solman! (or should I say bad bad dutch people ?)

The tapmaster - one of the highly recommended items on these forums. :)

It's a 'kick' on off switch for your faucet.

The company is really close to me. I was going to drive out there when I was ready to get mine.

Here is a link that might be useful: tapmaster

o

Hi everyone, finally found y'all.

My vote is #1 for the eBay mico, #2 for the eBay PF, and #3 for Loviken. I like all of them and think any of them would work great.

If the tile sink is back in the running, I would still go for it at 6" or 8" depth.

Plllog, love the poppy. I adore statement art.

o

Popping in during lunch. Couldn't resist. :)

Tapmaster costs more than the faucet, but it's very cool, and it's Canadian.

Marthavila, My opinion is that I think we would have been yanked if the issue were content. We have been fairly obscure. I wouldn't be surprised if we were banished just because we talk too much, and probably don't have a lot of lurkers. Too specific to Solman's kitchen and having too good a time to be something that's useful to the lurking public. (They're selling eyeballs here.)

Solman, that faucet is a deal. Not the great shaped spout of the other, but not obscene or indelicate either. :)

Thanks, Tex! Poppy is all gone now. I loved it too, but I felt no qualms or sadness whatsoever when it went. I guess I really was ready!

o

Well, yes, my other theory is that we got moved because we had become too personally chummy with our banter. IMO, one of the best features of the GW fora is their "openness." Anyone can join in. OTOH, my thinking is that the UCMKF has become a pretty "clubby" group within a group. Now, from my POV, when I saw you guys having such a rollicking good time, I insisted on penetrating the group to get a piece of the action (Oh, PUHLEEZE don't do anything with that choice of words!) But internet discussion groups can be a curious thing to navigate and negotiate. Which is why more people tend to lurk on than to actively participate.

Although I know we didn't intend it, and while there's certainly no reason to feel guilty about it, I'm also wondering if some others felt excluded by our obvious camaraderie and complained to the GW PTB. Just a thought (from one who tends to overthink). Whatever. By all means, carry on!

o

We certainly welcome anyone who wants to jump in. It's good we weren't yanked and we'll just carry on over here.

o

Finally, now I know what all this Poppying is all about. I missed a couple of posts while I was slaving away barefoot and..............the Mexican Kitchen to be.
And oh yes it has the signature of our favorite artist. I loved it!

Now that being said, the new 2009, uhum correction 2010, plllog creation is so much more subdued and much tighter by comparison. Now granted I have only seen the tiles, so who knows what other Jack In The Boxes could be in store.

On that note, let's all give a big cheer for plllog's great news on the new batch of tiles being close to spec. Prairie........ big happy cheer smiley please.

o
Thought

Hey guys, now that we've been relegated to the "discussions" or whatever this place is, does it mean we've become this little secret society of Mexican culture worshippers? Oh and Pan Asian too?

o
Pllog's tiles!

Hip, Hip Hooray for Pllog's new generation tiles!

As for Solman's faucet vote, here are mine:

1. Cifial bridge

2. Loviken -Ikea

3. Jado Single Lever

o

Well, whatever the reason that we were moved, I am glad we're still here. :o) I've only just very recently joined these ivillage forums (mid november i think?) and it is nice to have made some connections so readily. I did find it very intimidating to post on the main kitchen forums (even my first post in this thread was skeery) .... I have posted a few times in the 'smaller homes' forums, as it is much less busy and people are very friendly there.

My votes (and again - I know nothing about style. i think practicality and price matter more to me)

1) Price-Pfister-34-4TZZ-Marielle

2) Mico

3) Price Pfister- Portland

If the Cifial-Bridge I would have to vote for it, too. That is a very cool look.

If the Cote D'Azur -New Horizon had a pull down sprayer I might get it for myself (even tho it would not go in my new kitchen) - i like the look a lot :o)

o
sprayer

ps ... i like a sprayer mainly for clean up. I find I like to use it to scrub all the corners of my sink.

o
The Price Pfister Story

OK guys just talked to the company today and found out that the Portland is 9 inches high.

She also mentioned that the Mariella was the biggest seller with the Portland considerably far behind. Also the "hot now look" is the Tuscan Bronze. Dark with copper accents peeking through.

I'm posting the Portland and Mariella again in the Tuscan Bronze, I see that there is a spout shape/angle difference. Comments? Likes-dislikes?

Oh she also said that single handles are by far what the market seems to want.

Makes sense. For example, when I made the Jerk Chicken last night. After skinning the drumsticks, I (would have- note since I have no actual faucet!) needed to turn on the Hot water to wash the yucky slime off my hands but I also wouldn't want my Salmonella fingers touching the faucet. So with these single lever things, you can just bump and lift the lever with your wrist and still turn on the tap without actually touching and contaminating it.

You know, I have never had a single lever tap. Even my bathroom is double handle "widespread." Remember I did NOT make the name up.

PF Portland Tuscan Bronze

L12056121

PF Mariella Tuscan Bronze (sounds Spanish) 2nd photo just Bronze.

ppT34-PTYY

L11387332

o

Shhh... Don't be cheering too loudly. There's a big difference between tile being made and actual, usable tile being here. BIG. No jinxie.

Actually...I'm thinking about the installation, and thinking it might be easier with the escutcheon on tile. Or else get the cast iron tile in sink with a faucet deck. Maybe ask someone? I've only ever had the latter... (or undermount not on tile).

o

Another view with Mariella in action.

Everyone I noticed something here. It's an undermount sink with just tiles ending around the perimeter. No quarter round nonsense. Now the Talaveras are all drippy and unfinished on the edges BUT, I can get and have some now (see plllog, no holding back) with one edge bullnosed. Then we really get the clean rimless undermount sink look with tiled! countertop. Hey!

Let me know what you guys think of that.

ppT34-PTYYfull

o

Mariella looks great, too. As plllog pointed out, a deck plate might be better on tile and if you look at the picture the faucet is right on the grout line. I had a tile counter for a while and I don't remember having a problem with the faucet, but it did have the plate.

That's great if you have or can get bullnose tile for the sink. That will be very functional and easier to install.

o

Thanks Steff. You mean you prefer this undermount sink look?

I'm just looking at this tile and it's just one edge curved and the tile is only 1/4" thick. So if the plywood there now is 1 and 1/4 " thick and the sink is undermount, does the sink come from under and cover the plywood height? Looking at the picture above, that means the rim of the sink is physically on top of the counter and tiles have been placed on the top rim of the sink?

o

I do prefer the undermount sink with granite and it should work well if you do a bullnose tile. An undermount sink makes it easier to clean the counter. But with tile, it probably doesn't matter a lot and I would definitely do an overmount if you don't have bullnose or trim tile. So if you are going with a plain sink, then undermount is great.

If the sink is designed to be undermounted, then the flange does go between the plywood and the tile as is done with granite.

o

no holding back????????? What do you call THAT?????????????

All this time we've been saying you'd have to get quarter round and you have bullnose??????????????????????

Freud would have a lot to say about you, my friend.

Quarter round is preferable so you're not exposing the mortar edge, but bullnose will work for a lot of stuff that we've been assuming you didn't have any for.

Folks, that's why they invented the tile in sink. So that it can be done right. Tile goes over the flange.

o

Freud would have a lot to say about you, my friend.

o

Whoops I better rephrase that. You will notice that on the counter we have boxed in pipes that run up along the wall. The box is therefore 3 sided.

The tile guy told me that I would have to have yellow tiles with one sided Bullnose running up both of the two outsides of the box. The Face or front of the box would have the standard tile. So it appears that the purpose of the bullnose is to finish off exposed edges that result when 2 tiles meet at a 90 degree angle.

Since I bought only enough to do the box, technically I can say that I don't have them but could get them if need be.

Now what would Freud say?

o

OK here's what I found with Tile In from Kohler but no colors available other than White, Almond, Biscuit.

Tile In

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?from=thumb&frm=null&module=Kitchen+Sinks&item=306002&prod_num=5834-4§ion=1&category=5&resultPage=0--2028143363

Undermount/Self Rimming. (same sink)? Strange

http://www.us.kohler.com/onlinecatalog/detail.jsp?from=thumb&frm=null&module=Kitchen+Sinks&item=336902&prod_num=6585§ion=1&category=5&resultPage=0-218340447

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Tile In sink.

o
Some snobby sisters for your entertainment pleasure....

Miss Rigel VII
Jo Kitchen

Miss Dowager's Hump
MGS 1050

Miss Conventionality
Kohler

Miss Curves in All the Wrong Places/Miss Scared of Water
jado 837

Miss All-Star Drag Review
jado 665

Miss I've Fallen and Can't Get Up
Bissonet 990

Miss Angular Precision
blancoquadris 1475

Miss Modern Marvels
blancoprecision 1650

Miss Grow Up to be a Swan
pcsbath 668

Miss Twinset
connaught bibcock

Miss Serengeti
grohe 212

o

On the Kohler site there are more tile-ins.

Also, there are lots of ones that aren't on the site. My sink, the first one, is a tile in.

o
Let's Have a Round of Applause

For The Snobby Sisters show. Well done plllog.

And was that Miss Twinset, or Miss Twinpeaks. Couldn't resist. Especially now with Freud watching over my back.

And poor Miss. Fallen and Can't Get Up, from strappy heels on the dance floor on New Year's Eve.

And no doubt some candidates for The World's_________Faucets Competition.

o

plllog I just peeked into your former Poppy Paradise and noticed something. That sink faucet looks an awful lot like The Delta Signature or Cobra snake as I like to relate to it as and one that I secretly admired but seemed much too non Rustic Mexican and contemporary. Was it the Delta?

Here is a link that might be useful: The Delta Cobra

o

Hey, Solman. I think the word you're looking for is "fugly".

Re the faucet in the old kitchen, I have no idea what it was besides hateful. The faucet that came with the house died and this is the cheapie the plumber found that would fit the holes in the sink deck. I guess the measurements have changed over time or I had a weirdie or something. It was a good faucet as in it gave me water until I could rip out the kitchen. I really hated it, though. But, yeah, it looked a lot like the one in the link.

It's your kitchen. You can nominate whatever you want.

o
The Price Pfisters

Hey plllog seeing that most of our gang has retired to the warmth of their duvets in absolute fright from the weather assault we all got today, maybe we should look at the Price Pfisters. I know you like the Portland's spout better, or do you, and what about the finish? The Venitian vs standard Bronze. And I know the price on the Mariella is a steal, but just on sheer looks, who is the star?

The $30-40 difference is neither here nor there.

o
Beware the ugly faucet

Oh forgot to add, that was maybe 5 years ago. But recently I just saw it in person at Lowe's for the first time ever and yup thought it was sinfully ugly and never considered a Delta ever since.

o

Ummm... Duvets.... I have two (dacron--no allergicy feathery things for me).

I do like the Portland in Tuscan Bronze for many reasons. First, of course, is the reasonable price. Some of those snob sisters are in the $1500 range.

The color reminds me of all kinds of traditional things one sees in Mexico. Kind of like old copper, but not shinied up with Taco Bell hot sauce (that's what they used to say in Jr. Hi., but of course it's the vinegar). Kind of like oxidized iron, but not so icky. Not so hoity toity as Oil Rubbed Bronze. Just nice and warm and cozy. Unassuming, but beautiful when you look.

The pumpish body is just kitsch enough, understatedly, so that it suggests old times without being silly. And I like the shape of the spout specifically because it isn't of the now. It's unique. And I like the way the business end flares.

-------------

I was thinking earlier of your rendition of O Canada, and was wondering what a "typical Canadian kitchen" looks like. Any different from a U.S. one (assuming euro boxes)? Like typical Mexican kitchens, modern ones--not what you're doing here, have a certain kind of look. And Canadian (traditional) music has a certain sound (like The Bills). But what's a traditional Canadian kitchen?

o

Hiya, plllog, I think there is no such thing as a 'Canadian' kitchen. Things are very much the same as the US - fashion and trends are propagated in magazines and TV etc, and we get/see the same as you, so the variety you would see in the US is the same that we see here. We have a lot of the same 'big box' type stores (Home Depot, Lowes, etc) so most of the products are the same (or very close to it). We just pay more ;o)

Here's an example of the different pricing (US and Canadian dollars are very close in value at the moment)

US (copy and paste)
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1vZ1xhc/R-100679026/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053
free shipping

Canada
http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=979011&Ntt=979011&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&recN=51 116573&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber
+ shipping

Can you buy 'self assemble' cabinets there that are inset? I don't think they are available here.

o
housing differences

If you're ever curious about Canadian real estate, we have a great site that includes all listings.

If you use the 'map' you can zoom in to different areas of the country, or you can search by city. Most listings have lots of pictures so 'typical' homes can be seen.

I see a lot of price variation depending on what area of the country I look, but the structures themselves are very similar. The major differences would be in 'old' areas, such as old Quebec and ON, maritime provinces, old Vancouver etc. The prairies are fairly 'young' comparatively speaking, so we don't have many 'heritage' homes.

I've looked for something similar in the US, but there doesn't seem to be anything that is so comprehensive. It seems there that it's up to individual realtors to provide any kind of list showing houses for sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: mls.ca

o

The best site for US is realtor.com.

I use these sites to get kitchen ideas from all over the world. I especially enjoy kitchens in Provence and Tuscany because I want the look of those kitchens without the faux stuff they add in the showrooms here.

Here is a link that might be useful: Realtor

o

O cool Steff. Thanks for that link! I see lots of time 'wasted' there lol

I would love an authentic Italian kitchen!!! You're right, it's so different in the showrooms here. My hubby and I went to Italy last spring (20th anniv) and LOVED LOVED LOVED it!

o
RE: Link

Congratulations on your 20th and so glad you had a great time in Italy.

I think the link was set on 78232 so go to the last page and take a look at those houses.

o

Good morning guys, just dialing in. Like our Pan Asian voice, I too am not exactly "the morning Lark."

When I woke this morning, I eased out the bedroom peeking both ways before actually exiting, wondering if the tirade was finally over. What a night. Blistering winds, house shaking, branches rattling, and Peter Mansbridge telling Canadians on the news to brace in for a frigid Winter storm throughout the country. Minus 45, again -45C, 30-40 cm of snow, I mean things like this just plain depress me. And I'm fully understanding of why people run-away- from here to Lake Chapala, or Florida, or like my pal, to Thailand. And I quote him "Man I would NEVER come back to those life sapping winters". Hence 7 years later, he is still there.

o

o my goodness, Steff - I am moving to SA lol

o
mornin

Morning (er afternoon) solman. Sorry you are getting the weather. Florida and/or Texas are sounding mighty good today. I have lived in Indonesia, and don't know that I'd choose Thailand, however.

o
Minus 45

steff-good morning, are you back to House #1 yet? And is the painting finished? Some photos would be nice. I hope you won't leave us again for such a long time.

prairie girl-How are your fingers? Do you have movement in the outer tips? I really feel bad for you. The West and Alberta are seriously COLD.

plllog-you just stay right there please. As the saying goes, "what you don't know, will never hurt you."

o
tropical

We're a balmy -12 here at the moment. Time for the shorts and tank top

o
Bring on the warmth

prairie-did you say Indonesia???? plllog-think Bali

Now you've got my attention, go ahead "Make my day."

Whereabouts? And for how long?

o

Hi everyone. Am doing real work again today lol, so haven't been able to pop in much. Plus DH is getting jealous of all the time I spend on GW, so have to keep my evening jaunts into virtual partydom to a minimum. I miss you guys!

In the 30's here today, cuddling up with DS and blankies.

So we are decided on a white drop in sink? I like the mariella more than the portland, as far as faucets.

Missy, if you are thinking about SA, you need to come see us up in Wimberley, too ;)

o
bugs, floods, typhoons, o my

I lived in the Philippines for 4 years (long time ago). The older I get, the more I like my location. :o) We (here in Canada) don't have the bugs, snakes, floods, earthquakes, typhoons, fires etc, that other places seem to have to deal with. I will take the cold, in exchange for all the other things that tend to come along with warmer, more tropical spots.
That being said, a beach house in Florida, Texas, or Calif during the winter month sounds AWFULLY nice.

o
texas

Hiya Tex! Welcome back. :o) I would love to visit Texas! I have a good friend that lives down there, and she keeps bugging me to come for a visit. It's one of the places on my 'must see' list (along with the East coast, more of Europe, yadda yadda ....)

o

Wow, it is cold up there. We are warming up here and have seen the last freeze for a week or so. We've been back home for a few days now, but will probably go back to Houston next week.

Prairie-girl, try 78257 if you want to see where celebrities and Mexican ex-pats live.

And everyone's talking about this little swankienda:

Here is a link that might be useful: Tony and Eva's house

o

'Morning, all.

Sigh. The helicopters are such an annoyance. I'm not usually bloodthirsty, but I can't help thinking I'd feel a little schadenfreude if some danged @#%$% paparazzo fell out.

Solman keeps trying to move me to Bali so he can have my kitchen.

It's really cold here too, but I don't dare say how cold because you'll all laugh at me. Brrrrr.... I'm sorry y'all are shivering so much.

o

"Solman keeps trying to move me to Bali so he can have my kitchen."

Read my mind. Ever so intuitive, and yes that would also save me from the trials and tribulations of finishing this one.

After seeing the Bamboo and Palms on your tiles, yes I was already on my way to Kitchen Design #2-Asian.

o

Hey stef, just finished some good reading of Tiger running for his life out the driveway, for lusting after "some California jiggle". The house in your link just reminded me of him.

And not sure what all the uproar (pardon the pun) is all about after all he is known as The Tiger.

o

Actually he has changed his nickname to "Cheetah."

o
Paliwan

Prairie- Speaking of snakes and things, did you ever make it over to Paliwan? I heard that is the natural spectacle of the Philippines. I never quite made it there, instead I took the plane to Borachai where I was harassed by Philippinas looking for marriage.

Apparently the water had also been recently contaminated and the tourism of the island was destroyed.

Hence I left quite quickly.

o
Cheetah

Steff-you're right on cue. LOL!!!

Just think, once upon a time Tiger had his little Hottie Nannie on a leash. And now she has him on a leash!

Here Cheetah, more meat?

o

According to my inside info the cheetah was well known for hanging with the world's most notorious player, so the source wasn't surprised at all. I happen to like big houses and big rooms, but some of these ridiculous palaces come about because everybody's got a hand in some cash cow's pocket and doesn't ever want to say no about anything. People tend to sell them not so long after they build them because the houses are just too big for their comfort and take much too much to run. And the helicopters are a nightmare.

BTW, Solman, the palms are in the dining room. The tiles have waterlilies and ginkgo blossoms, and vines.

o
Guess What Time It Is Guys?

It's Splash Time!

While the judges tabulate the final votes in the wild and shall we say, eventful, Faucet Pageant, we can now all play House... I mean tile. Boy's don't play house, do they?

Here are the real life-real tile-real grout renditions with a real cheesy plastic wall plate that, yes, ruins every Backsplash.

DSCF9049

DSCF9052

DSCF9053

DSCF9055

o

I like #3 best, but I would use a deco tile behind the outlet cover to complete the pattern. I'm going back to your pictures to take a look at running the tile to the edges on each elevation.

You can get Talavera covers and just about anything else Talavera.

o

prairie- I'm getting worried about you lusting after those houses in "sun bake" zone USA. Canada, the last frontier. Think Cuddly Polar Bears, the beauty of white ice, fresh crisp air, and lots of trees and bees and mosquitees.

Yeah, shall I start singing?

O' Canada
Our home and native land
True winter freeze

O' Canada we freeze
for theeeeee.

o

plllog-did you say palms in the dining room? As in painted, real?

Actually my dream living room is to have one entire wall from ceiling to floor, a stone waterfall with tropical palm vines hanging. The water falls into a small but narrow fish pond that runs the length of the entire waterfall and wall.

My idea, no. That is the exact living room I was in at a Doctor's house in Java, Indonesia. And never has the image left my mind.

And the top is open for light via glass.

o
Not sure

steff-you mean have a Guadalahara tile cut out and the outlet cover on top?

o
Confused

steff-you mean have a Guadalahara tile cut out and the outlet cover on top?

o

Yes, the outlet is something that they eye considers normal in a backsplash. To interrupt the pattern with a plain tile makes it stand out more. Try switching it out just to see. I also think the pattern might work better if it was continuous except for a yellow frame around the mural. Refer back to the blue shower with the deco tiles.

o
And Now We Pause For This Break

Do you guys want to know why I really want a Mexican Kitchen?

From The John Tesh radio show:

Latin Americans are the happiest people in the world.

The Puerto Ricans have the secret to being happy. M.J. Ryan, author of The Happiness Makeover, says thats because theyre always socializing. Studies show the more you connect with your family and friends, the less stress you have. Happy social events also flood your body with feel-good brain chemicals. And, Puerto Ricans celebrate more than 5-hundred festivals a year!

And lastly, the Spanish are the least stressed people in the world! Their secret they dont work overtime. Basically, they feel its more important to get home on time than to stay late at work. Studies show that working overtime boosts your stress hormones into the stratosphere for hours. It also increases your feelings of exhaustion, anxiety and irritability. To ensure you can leave work at quitting time, minimize interruptions. Phone calls, chit-chat, and email can eat up hours of your day. Minimize those, and youll be more likely to leave on time."

o

Steff, Tony and Eva's house is WAY over the top eh? I can't imagine trying to keep something like that clean lol (I suppose they don't - housekeepers and all that) I kinda like my wee abode. :o)

I am lusting after warmer climes, solman, but if it happens it would only be for a short time span in the winter. It won't be for awhile yet, either. We still have too many bills to pay each month.

I have been to Palawan. I think that just about anywhere there is incredible (as are many places in the world). I don't know how to compare them? One of the most beautiful places (that was still rather undiscovered at the time) was Puerto Gallera on the island of Mindoro. I could happily grow old there I think. Part of the reason we are going very 'cheap' on our reno is so we can travel more.

I wonder if you could paint your outlet cover to match the tile? It would be something I would try, but I don't know how artistic you are. :o) If it didn't work, no harm, no foul, right?

Here is a link that might be useful: pilipinas

o

Prairie-nice!

"Part of the reason we are going very 'cheap' on our reno is so we can travel more."

Congratulations. Exactly!

o
We miss you.

Has anyone seen marthavila? I hope she's not trying to finish that whole bottle of
wine?

And Peanut-Where did you go?

o

Solman, your reasons for your fun, colourful kitchen are excellent! Anything that can bring you joy is a positive for sure! :o)

o
tony and eva's place

Oh Oh oh! My fabricator did the granite on that house! The guy told me all about this fabulous house but they had super tight security and weren't allowed to know who owned the house, but from the description, it's got to be the same one. Tons of Azul Bahia granite. How fun!

o

I like backsplash 2 and 3. I agree with Steff, you don't have to settle for ugly switchplates and outlet covers (or is that plastic cover fugly? I have a new word :)

Here is a link that might be useful: talavera outlet covers

o
would love to be on a beach right now

I have to admit, after reading all this, I would LOVE to be on a warm beach sipping something with umbrellas right now. No chance of it happening, but it's a lovely fantasy.

o
Mas!

Thanks Tex. Good idea of maybe a solid Yellow Talavera switchplate or...paint. And any new ideas for your splash with Sevillas?

DSCF9057

DSCF9059

o

Plugmold.

o

This style is for one centered grouping per elevation. We have say:

Section 1- left of window
Section 2-right of window
Section 3- right of flower basket
Section 4- left of flower basket

DSCF9063

Do any of these tickle your fancy so far?

plllog, don't be coy? You can play too!

o

ooo plugmold is a good idea. :)

tex - when does spring arrive there? bet you'll be outside sipping umbrella-laden drinks long before we will. Perhaps we should plan a road trip down there and crash the 'welcome to spring' party. :o) How far from a beach are you??

solman, sorry I gotta bow out of the backsplash voting. I honestly don't know what goes with what in that situation.

o

Thank you, Prairie Girl! You speak for us both on the backsplash vote. Which, btw, is why you all haven't heard from me in awhile. I've been lurking but I haven't seen a truly appropriate place to speak up. I've already voted on the faucet and have given my 2 cents on the sink question (fwiw). However: (1) I don't have enough sense of the bigger picture in order to vote on the backsplash pattern (but think I'm leaning towards #3); (2) I've never been to the Pacific Rim, but believe that the best sunny & warm places I'd like to retire to are (A)Salvador, Brazil (B) Capetown, SA, or (C) Kuaui or the Big Island, HI. I also don't care to hear another word about Tiger's misdeeds! But trust me, friends -- I'm still here keeping an eye on how Solman's kitchen is progressing and if, or when, I think I should pipe up -- I promise I will. In the meantime, carry on! :-)

o

PLUGMOLD.

o

And, yes. In order to avoid visual disruption of the backsplash pattern, I heartily agree with use of plugmold. I have it in my own kitchen. I also recommend your use of angled plugmold instead of the straight strip. The angled version gets installed between the undersides of the cab and the wall (but is still not visible at eye level). This way, it's much easier to see where you're putting the plug -- as opposed to standard strip plugmold which gets installed directly beneath the cab.

o

Try again

DSCF9065

True Rendition White 8

DSCF9057

True Rendition White 7

o

lol plllog, if at first you don't succeed, speak louder!! lol In addition to liking the plugmold idea, I like Marthavila's angled suggestion as well!

I'll have to investigate (A) Salvador, Brazil (B) Capetown, SA, or (C) Kuaui or the Big Island, HI.

I also don't care to hear another word about Tiger's misdeeds! Good grief!!

o
plugmold

Solman, have you looked at plugmold?

Here is a link that might be useful: plugmold

o
Oh lala

oh my god! I finally caught on, it's a product. I thought we were making a funny name for the plug, like an ugly piece of mold. Good grief. Never heard of this

So the product is plugmold. Amazing. SOLD.

o

prairie- thank you.

imagine my the confused look on my face.

All along I thought this was a cute name destined for plllog's little folder.

o

lol You're welcome. :) there seems to be several varieties out there. I don't know what everyone else has used. I just googled the name to come up with a sample product.

I lurked for awhile before posting anything, and saw plugmold mentioned a few times.

A couple other goodies that twigged as good ideas are

Airswitch for garbage disposal
http://www.presair.com/uploads/SafeAire_disposal_switch.pdf

Never M T Soap dispenser
http://custominserts-store.stores.yahoo.net/nevsoapandlo.html
or make it yourself
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0814101620153.html

toe kick drawers for pot lids/trivets/spare oven grill etc

http://www.improvementscatalog.com/home/improvements/792927248-turtle-stool-folding-step-stools.html

http://www.ikeafans.com/forums/articles/6441-toekick-drawers-modification.html

built in vacuum 'sweep' hole (sorry don't know the proper name somewhere in the kitchen

delta pilar 'touch' faucet (which i don't think would 'go' in your kitchen)

and the aforementioned tapmaster

There are more out there, i don't know if the threads are still around or not. There was a huge cut the other day and the vast majority of old threads seem to have disappeard. :o(

o
vacuum

aha - here's info on the vacuum sweep receptacle thingy

http://www.google.ca/search?q=built+in+vacuum+sweep+hole&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I'm thinking that if you don't have a built-in vacuum it's a moot point.

Here is a link that might be useful: vacpan

o
The Plugmold Vote

well this maybe begs a little discussion. Present receptacle boxes are sitting there, wired, live and basically ready for plugs. These are few inches off the counter. Scary thing is what if there isn't enough extra wire to move up the wall to cabinet height? Then I guess Electrician would have to re-wire all of them?

Let's take a vote on who would:

1. Put in plugmold despite extra cost if needed to re-wire
2. Use standard plastic plates (painted) or glazed colored Talavera plates.

o

Sorry. I didn't know you'd never heard of it. The angled stuff is expensive, and called a different name. You can also angle flat plugmold and mount it that way. Mine is flush to the top of the cabinet facing down so as not to conflict with the backsplash tiles (okay, mostly to sooth the contractors--I don't plug enough in there to fight for angled). It's also pulled a little way from the back wall. You can also do it flat against the wall facing out. Think of the gray railing with the outlets above your lab bench. That was basic plugmold. Some people are very picky about how they want it.

HD and Lowes and electrical supply stores all have a variety of the stuff. There are more decorative plastic housings as well. There used to be another company that made all kinds of pretty stuff, but Wiremold bought them and have only recently started producing anything but the basic stuff.

Did you decide if you're getting a light rail? That might affect your decision on how to mount it.

Re the mermaid movie, can you do three rows of Guadalajara with yellow either side (seeing as tile can be cut, just to see if it's worth it to get the secondary pattern going?

I don't like the hillocks at 20:04.

o
Electrical

A definite yes to the under counter lighting. LED or Xenon guys? I just can't go up the Frankenstein fluorescent color path.

"I don't like the hillocks at 20:04."

I was desperate and I had hit a creative wall :) It is also my least liked one.

o

LED. Get the multi-color kind that gives you a better overall color of light.

o
Cooktop Size vs Prep Area size

plllog, question about your UK induction cooktop. Is it a North American 30 inch or Euro 28 inch, or 24 inch?

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the order so some opinions
and feedback would be great.

Options:

1. 28 inch free zone

2. 30 inch free zone.

The reason I ask is based on the prep area immediately to the right of the cooktop. That distance is:

1. 27.5 inches to corner of the "L" if 30 inch cooktop.

2. 28.5 inches to corner of the "L" if 28 inch cooktop.

Is 27.5 inches considered a reasonably good prep area?

If not, would you compromise the cooktop model size and get a Euro 28 inch? I mean Europeans use 24 inch as their "norm".

o

"LED. Get the multi-color kind that gives you a better overall color of light."

Oh never heard of multi color LED? The day I was at Lowe's talking to the 2 nice ladies, the one from the actual lighting dep't told me to wait a couple of weeks as she was pretty sure that a whole new line of LED strip was coming in. So, cross my heart (I mean fingers), couldn't resist :) (those were such bad ad's by Playtex) that these colored LED's are on their way.

o
Hang onto your foundations, folks!

They keep saying this isn't the big storm. That's for later in the week. The first one has killed at least 17 people since it left California.

UGH!!!

Hang on tight, Missy!

They keep saying "sprinkles" for this one, though it was sunny today (got a lot done, luckily). But I've felt like dwarfs have been industriously drilling into my skull all day. I wish it would start raining already if it's going to rain.

Can't we send the rain up to the Sierra? We need to fill reservoirs not storm drains! The rivers are much safer when they look like they did in T2.

So I was happily applying the Rolling Stones and Robert Palmer to my poor head as I was driving around in the sun, and then the lead thunk came in from the ocean (bad ocean) and they were only playing pretentious, self-concious '80's new wave. devastated

o
News Flash!

This just in from Hotel Fiesta Americana Cancun. Judges are still deliberating as there seems to be a deadlock on votes! This is a first in the history of The Pageant.

The judges have just left the Hall and are on their way to The Margarita Lounge in order to loosen up and be able to think more clearly.

Stay tuned....

o
Minus 25!

Oh my plllog, I thought you sunshine California Dreamins had it easy!

I just got in from outside and yes it is Minus 23C with the windchill factor. Horrible. The poor homeless is the first thing that came to my mind.

o

You have homeless? I thought they all came down here... I would.

I just Googled your temperature (I love that!! Using Google as a calculator). It doesn't sound rational. Isn't that when people start wearing bear skins and breathing gear? My relationship to Celsius (from when I lived abroad) is at the other end: 38 is bearable. 40 is just too danged hot. 42 is pretty awful.

But we do have it easy compared to you hardy (read "crazy") folks. We have problems with the part where we're on a different tectonic plate than the rest of the continent, but the high today was 60 F. And the current storm is supposed to stop sometime tomorrow, though the really big one may have moved in by then.

See, I have this problem. Unstable air makes my head hurt. Bad. But once it starts really raining that usually lifts, and the ionization is pleasant.

Current reports is they're not closing the roads into the burn zones until tomorrow night.

o
Minus 9 !!!

shiver

Poor you.

o

Wow, that is cold, brrrrr. I won't complain anymore about the cold here, it's nothing compared to that. Missy, we get spring in March. By May it's hot and by June it's dang hot. August is hellfire hot, then it cools back down to just hot in September. October and November are usually pretty nice, although we had an early winter this year and only got about 3 weeks of Fall.

On the tiles, I'm a bit confused, but I do like all the ones from 23:45. I guess I'm not much help, sorry.

I didn't know what plugmold was called. I wanted that in my kitchen, but DH put in outlets instead. A lot of outlets for sure, but the plugmold seems like a better idea and a lot less work.

Stay safe everyone, and warm and dry.....

o
What Day Is It?

It's Plugmold Day! Yayyyyyyyyyy.

Just like a little baby solman has learned a new word. Plugmold. Pugmold.

The Egyptians had the wheel but we have Plugmold.

Oh and it's also frigid day. Same old minus whatever outside. I think I like that approach. I don't want to know the actual number because it just sends you into a deeper funk.

Say, have things settled in California today or is the real storm still coming?

Tex-any news or sketches with the Sevillas for your splash?

Steff-how do you like the last 3 renditions?

Also guys, thoughts on the cooktop vs prep area size. Maybe you could share what your actual prep sizes are by comparison.

o

Steff-How is SA today? I'm waiting for poor Prairie Girl to thaw out, she's probably still frozen solid like a salmon steak.

I think you wanted to see the tiles go all the way without the yellow border.

How's this one?

DSCF9067

o

'mornin'. bleary mearnin'.

That was sprinkles? It's gone. The "really big one" is coming in. Then they go on east to y'all. ughhh

had juice still can't dea4l nneedd moreeea sleep

saw cooketop quetion comb ation 15in gaws wolf euro 24 something centainmeterihs like 23.5878687 gagg

zomeless aeg rettpitedly in canada investgeate before buy euor

havea gagg repairmen heetre

rain hangove

o

Hiya,
plllog stay warm and safe! That sucks that the weather changes affect you like that. Many folks really suffer here due to our drastic barometric pressure changes. Migraine sufferers are often so glad to move away.

We're more moderate today (-7) and it's snowing big fluffy flakes - really pretty actually. Mid week next week they are saying we should hit 0 wooohooooo :o)

Nice to see some of the 'missing' folks pop in. Hope you are all well and not too busy to enjoy the season.

i LOL @ baby Solman learning a new word. Someone should get a video of it to record for posterity? lol

Tex, loved the variations of 'hot' your seasons go through. :) They all sound good from here right now hehehe

Solman - how is the kitchen progressing? Has your carpenter thrown in the towel yet? I'm very lost (again) on what's been decided and hasn't as of yet. I kind of get the feeling that you're going to (in desperation) just go with what is easiest at the last second.

As far as cooktops go, I think a 'regular' size is fine for most folks. Most of us very very rarely use more than 2 burners at once. I am kind of at a loss what people do with the huge stoves ... this is just MHO - hopefully I don't offend anyone by speaking up. I've somehow managed to cook good, nourishing, beautiful meals for my family (of boys) for many years without ever 'needing' a huge stove. There has been a time or two when an extra oven would have been nice (turkey + pie) but we got a nice toaster oven which has been a big help for the odd times we have needed it.

~ Missy

o
someone dial 911

plllog??? u ok???

had juice still can't dea4l nneedd moreeea sleep

saw cooketop quetion comb ation 15in gaws wolf euro 24 something centainmeterihs like 23.5878687 gagg

zomeless aeg rettpitedly in canada investgeate before buy euor

havea gagg repairmen heetre

rain hangove

o

Hey folks,
I've been distracted, trying to finish this semester in the sudden arctic weather. It's -10 over here on the Eastern shore today, with 48kph winds. Brrr.

Did I vote yet? Ah, no I didn't. I vote for the Mico Hex (of course) because it has that cool pump-esqueness and the single handle, but a close second are either of the Price=Pfister models because they seem to be what Solman likes best.

To file under "anal retentive": here's something that's been bugging me: those little aqua triangles in the window. I would go to the craft store and buy a $3 jar of transparent glass paint and paint 'em a nice deep cobalt-y blue. But of course that's just me. I'd be fiddling with the color of the towel racks while the roof caved in above me...

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

oh my our dear plllog is a shellshocked and tired. Poor soul. We need you in your full glory.

I felt exactly like you the morning after the pounding here Wednesday night.

Prairie-you seem to be taking it in quite well for an ex Pilipina.

o
cobalt vs aqua

To file under "anal retentive": here's something that's been bugging me: those little aqua triangles in the window. I would go to the craft store and buy a $3 jar of transparent glass paint and paint 'em a nice deep cobalt-y blue. But of course that's just me.

It's not just you. Something about the windows has struck me as being a bit off, I just couldn't put my finger on it. I think you've nailed it, peanut!

o

Theory. I could get wet (shower) and go shopping. Practice. Amazon Prime. Reality. Return to bed.

Head hurts. Storm coming. Didn't sleep. Rained. Will rain. Ate sandwich. Typing improved.

AEG zoneless reputedly in Canada. Check before importing.

Mine is five burners total. 2 medium sized Wolf gas. 3 on the closest thing in centimeters without going over 24" imported from England, German unit Gaggenau. Okay with insurance, electrician and local Gaggenau repairman.

Most people need three burners. Rhome410 needs lots more for all those mouths to feed. I need more when the family comes (very big).

Need sleep. Phone rang. Oh. Right. Gotta do some work. Ugh.

What was the question?

o

Hello this 911 Cancun.

We just received a rescue call for a plllog. Now we understand the situation could be serious so this is what we are about to do. First we want to revitalize her body fluid levels.

"Jose Dame una botella de Aqua de Papaya"

plllog, maybe it is not your favorite but this special water made from delicious ground sticky Papaya Seeds is bound to put some kick back into you step.

Then we will be flying you straight to Riviera Maya where you can gather your soul with some fresh fish - filete empanizado con aroz y verduras and a bottle of Cerveza SOL at the beachfront restaurant. You are also welcomed to top up your tan on the powder white sand.

Later we will book you into the massage and steam therapy room.

Now, should you require any of our services, please just dial nueve uno uno.

DSCF7462

o
urp

barf

Allergic to papaya. Allergic to fish. Allergic to rain.

Barf.

o
There You Are

Yeaaay Peanut's Back!

"Did I vote yet? Ah, no I didn't. I vote for the Mico Hex (of course) because it has that cool pump-esqueness and the single handle, but a close second are either of the Price=Pfister models because they seem to be what Solman likes best."

OMG I hope I'm not becoming predictable. The last thing I want to be:

"Because, I'm a Man"

(couldn't resist-oh so hoakey and disgusting scent to boot)

o

Howdy all, just checking in from SA. Cloudy, wet, 9C(48F) cold for us. Saw a woman with a scarf wrapping her ears and nose against frostbite. It will warm up soon we are told.

peanut - Are you on the Eastern Shore of Maryland?

Plllog - I hope feel better soon since Hanukkah begins tonight.

Tile patterns - Prefer the options with more deco tiles. The tiles make a more authentic pattern close together.

o
Stained Glass

"To file under "anal retentive": here's something that's been bugging me: those little aqua triangles in the window. I would go to the craft store and buy a $3 jar of transparent glass paint and paint 'em a nice deep cobalt-y blue. But of course that's just me."

Oh. Slight problem. all the windows on the main floor have that stained glass, multi colored panels.

By the way, Carpenter was just here and I think we have tamed him. He heals when I say heal and has magically accepted our Mexican Fiesta. We beat the silly "3 colors for every kitchen" rule out of him.

He finally realized that we're aiming for the Puerto Rican spirit of 512 festivals per year of happiness. Wait a second, there's only 365 days in the year. So, they are partying every day, and sometimes several different times in a day. No wonder they're the happiest people in the world.

Prairie- I think PR just entered my destination list.

Salsa-Merrengue-Cumbia, hell no, all of them.

o
Quick Prairie

"Howdy all, just checking in from SA. Cloudy, wet, 9C(48F) cold for us. Saw a woman with a scarf wrapping her ears and nose against frostbite. It will warm up soon we are told."

Quick Prairie! we need the falling over on your back smiley for that quote FAST.

o

welcome Steff.

"Tile patterns - Prefer the options with more deco tiles. The tiles make a more authentic pattern close together."

so you like the very last rendition of one continuous line of Guadalaharas best?

o
911 Algeria

Hello we just received the call t transfer.

Plllog we are taking you to Algeria for Camel therapy.

We understand you are allergic to fish, rain and Papaya, so you should be at home here in the desert. We'll give you dried figs, dates, and well water.

o

Uh, oh. I think it might be Marthavila pipe up time! :-)

I actually don't have a problem with those blue triangles. (Are they really aqua blue?) Do they really not work with the blue of the tiles (and possibly a sink?). I tell ya, the thing that doesn't sit well with me is the window casing. Now, that may be only because I'm looking at a prototype in photoshop as opposed to one in real life. And, I'm aware that you have other mouldings, trim, doors, etc. in the house that are of same wood as that window. So, not saying it can't work. Just, when I look at the mock-up I think dark brown casing is what throws me off -- much more so than the blue tiles.

Meanwhile, as I sit huddled over my laptop in my kitchen, with ovens on for extra warmth, let me also use this delurking moment to send you all you lots of good wishes for warm, dry, soft and comfortable surroundings (with lots of wine, Tequila, Papaya water, aspirin, etc.), safety from storms and mudslides and all kinds of bodily maladies and mental hassles. And, especially to Pllog and all else who may observe the season: Happy Hanukkah too!

o

Yep, it is pretty funny when it gets "cold" here. I have lived in New England and traveled a lot so it has to get a lot colder before I notice it. What is not so funny is when we get ice storms and they put gravel on the road instead of sand. It's like roller skating on an ice rink and there are a lot of accidents.

Glad to hear carpenter is getting into the idea of more than three colors and bringing a bit of sunshine to the cold dreary north. I really liked the double row of deco tiles best if you can solve the outlet issue.

o

Good evening everyone, just checking in. Plllog, feel better dear, perhaps a steamy shower with lavender and rosemary oil sprinkled on your washcloth - inhale during the shower seems to help.

On the window, I prefer cobalt to aqua, but the aqua doesn't bug me, especially if it is all over the rest of the house. I would really focus on getting the kitchen done before worrying about the window, as the tile could influence your final decision.

Glad to hear the carpenter is being nice. Maybe he will come back and play again.

I have to sit and mess with the sevillas and see what I come up with, haven't done that yet.

Can I have figs and well water too? Any way to make that alcoholic?

o

Turns out this is the end of last night's storm. Tonight's storm hasn't started yet. Crazy, huh?

Thanks for all the Chanukah greetings! It's very kind of you all. I think I'm going to skip the candles. Open flames don't sound like a good idea in this mess (house draped in plastic, boxes, etc.). I should mention that it's one of the minor festivals, but the influence of Christmas has made it fun. And if you're into what my grandmother called "stomach religion" it's a great excuse to eat fried food. No borekes this year since the kitchen is non-existent.

Solman, I'd take you up on the desert, but I already live in one. :) That's why we take rain so seriously. Figs, dates and spring water (i.e., wadi)? Yeah, that's what I have in my fridge. And tamales.

Hey! I wonder if buuelos were started by maranos? That would make so much sense! That they were being fried for Chanukah. Because what has it to do with New Year's? Aha! According to Wikipedia, yes! (sort of)

Merengue is DR, but PR sounds nice. Never been there. Love festivals.

HI PEANUT!! I totally get what you're saying, but I think the mismatched glass just gives the visual tension the room needs, so it'll be fine.

Hey, Missy. You could come visit. It's pretty awful here, but it's incoprehensibly awful there. And that's not even your "real" winter?? Maybe Solman will give you the ticket to Bali.

Tex, Steff, has it warmed up at all for you?

Tex, thanks, the herbs sound nice. I think I have some lavender oil...

Marthavila, are the twinkle lights still making up for the chill?

o
911 Algeria

Hello we just received the call t transfer.

Plllog we are taking you to Algeria for Camel therapy.

We understand you are allergic to fish, rain and Papaya, so you should be at home here in the desert. We'll give you dried figs, dates, and well water.

o

Steff-How is SA today? I'm waiting for poor Prairie Girl to thaw out, she's probably still frozen solid like a salmon steak.

I think you wanted to see the tiles go all the way without the yellow border.

How's this one?

DSCF9067

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here