Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part V111!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 29, 09 at 20:29

OMG Guys,

Yaaaaayy we're on Part V111!

My this is going to be a REAL NICE Mexican Kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part V11 of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part V111!

plllog-steff

What do you think of this one? Comments?

AEG

Price-690 Pounds
Size 30.7 inches
Advantage-Bevelled edges, front "slider touch controls", clever placement of free zones

IKEA-AEG

Price 450 pounds
Size 28 inches
No slider controls, no bevelled edges, box "grid" zone placement
Advantages-1.5 inches extra prep area, cheaper

I've blogged the sink guy from that previous post. Maybe he'll come back with make and size details.

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG Induction

o
Further

To above post.

At today's exchange rates, the AEG 31 incher is $400 more?

Overkill?

Both are free zone- One pot can touch 2 zones. Any size pot can be put on any of the 4 zones. You can tell I REALLY like that.

AEG Canada gave me a really hoakey excuse that they will NEVER bring those here because the lack of defined zones will "intimidate" people! Yeah right, more like it will exhilarate people so they are not at the mercy of some designers arrangement.

o

Zoneless will come to Canada, as it will to the U.S. Silly blather. Right now there isn't enough market saturation. They're still trying to get the whole magnetic/iron pot thing across without having to explain zoneless. Once there is enough market saturation that people know what induction is, they'll bring out the whizbang features.

The AEG looks nice. Only you know if the features are enough to make that your choice. I like the ability to directly address the power level rather than having to wait through a series. How much do you cook? If you're making porridge, tamales, pasta, or just about any other grain, you just need to be able to boil water. Do you need fine control?

From previous thread, can't sell much creamed spinach around here. Steamed, yes, raw even better. Does McDonald's still use beef fat in Canada? They gave it up in the U.S. quite awhile ago. Aficionados will tell you that they taste better. Bad for you. But conservative, since they're processing all that beef anyway, to use the fat.

o
Soffits

Confirmed that we will have Carpenter take out the crown moulding that he has in there presently on the corners touching the ceiling.

o

Poor Carpenter. I hope you gave him a nice present. No crown molding inside soffits!

o

plllog- I knew you'd like the bevelled edges on that AEG. Certainly would look better than just a cut piece of glass like the IKEA one. Not that I would want to or have ANY need to but a 30 inch induction would be easier to sell for re-sale.

Funny I even mention that because you would only sell if:

1. Looks/features. But is already "whizbang" and hot looking with the bevelled edges and the amazing zone design. So intelligently spaced out for comfort and convenience.

2. You're switching to gas. Can't see that happening for sure when this is the sensible, eco friendly future of cooking.

Actually, if I ever sold the house, I would actually pull it out and take it with me and pop a $599 Whirlpool smooth top electric in it's place.

Oh just noticed they have the same IKEA 28 inch free zone on the AEG site but...bevelled edges and slider controls. So looks like they said to IKEA we'll give you a de-contented version of our 28 incher for your Big Box crowd.

Obviously the direct Slider Controls are the latest state of the art seeing that NONE of their inductions have the press arrow up and down IKEA style buttons. Of course here in North America, ANY touch control on a cooktop is a state of the art dream feature.

Here is a link that might be useful: Like This

o
Carpenter

X-Mas Present.

Actually no present for him because I am actually going to eat $240 for the NEW real thick Macho Crown Moulding he bought to replace the existing one. Plus labor for him to pull down the existing one. And having to listen to him about what a BIG mistake I'm making by not having any crown molding.

Looks like Craiglist is getting a listing from solman soon. Maybe if we're lucky and a guy has a 8x8 ceiling or whatever.

o
Correction Steamed Spinach

plllog- I just caught the can't sell creamed Spinach around here comment. You know your California beat is really where I should be. Whole Foods, outdoors, that big POND :) eclectic, diverse, progressive living. I'm in Chevy Pick Up country out here and do miss the forward thinking life, to put it mildly.

Exactly. Steamed Spinach. Stef wannabes on their new bikes. The focus is on healthy lifestyle. You probably have people speed walking down your street after work. I'll scope this LA stuff out when I visit later this year. Have friends that have asked me to come many times and check out the Grand Canyon too next door. They also want me to see the huge Kitchen Reno they spent $Bucks on.

o

Well the creaky old servers ditched my reply. Too bad. Oh well. Rain.

o

plllog- Yeah, no reply. Missing posts. And now you're in a rain funk. Poor you and your head! Hope the headache won't last long.

Think Cat Nap.

o

Cancelled trip to the central heating. Will stay close to bed. Only slept 3 hrs.

Oh, right. Carpenter. Buy him a bottle of something he likes. Poor guy. Crown molding is what you put to bridge the corner from wall to ceiling. Soffits are in the corner between wall and ceiling. Therefore, soffits are crown. No crown inside soffits.

There actually is creamed spinach in L.A. The health claims about the area are exaggerated--there are all kinds--though McD's in the U.S. hasn't used beef tallow in the fries for years and years, much to the dismay of aficionados because they don't taste as good. The only places to get things like creamed spinach are weird, old fashioned coffee shops and nouvelle '50's-'60's retro haute dining where they try to replicate the bad cooking of the past. I REVILE "wedge of iceberg lettuce with thousand island dressing." It's trendy. It's foul. Baby greens aren't so trendy anymore. Anyone can buy them. But they're nutritious!!!!! Love me my tender dark green baby leafies.

o
Following a Lead

plllog-ouch you poor soul. I hope you get a good sleep.

OK the fellow with the tile counter install photo just replied and this is what he said:

"It is a drop in sink. Allia brand I think. Fireclay. It did get a chip in it from a knife being dropped into it... So beware."

Here is a link that might be useful: Rohl Fireclay

o

Aha!! See? I thought the dearth of tile in sinks was because people were tiling in other types.

So, the rest of the reply that got et' was a defense of Chevy trucks (excellent vehicles, very reliable, backbone of the earth), and an adjuration to remember that the Grand Canyon, is close to halfway to Steff's from the coast. Not exactly local.

o

Does that guy's chipping comment worry you?

Looks nice this fireclay but a knife is hardly a heavy object for damaging. I liked that it has the lips around the edge to allow tile to cover it like a "Tile-In.

Size wise, at 31.? inches it is almost same as your 33 inch Kohler. Does fireclay look/feel better than Kohler Cast iron? I assume it is stainproof.

Also both this and your Kohler will need skilled tiling to make a good corner 4x with the quarter round. Even though this one says "Undermount", appears the playing field is level as far as install goes. Both have a lip on the outside.

I hope you got a little sleep in there somewhere otherwise you must be exhausted.

o

No sleep but relaxing. Just have to go to the P.O. Thanks but I'm all right. Just rain.

Yes, you want a skilled tile setter. Bad tile jobs look bad and give tile a bad name. Done right, it's lovely, easy care and lasts forever. An undermount sink will have to be supported differently and will have a different relationship with the substrate. A drop in sink would probably have to be inset, perhaps have the substrate routed. A good, experienced craftsman will know what to do. I like this classic sink for your kitchen, or a single bowl with similar lines, better than my very modern, assymetric one.

Fireclay is tougher and more stain resistance than vitreous china (bathroom fixtures). It can be chipped or cracked, but should be less easily. Iron is iron. The enamel on Kohler cast iron is tougher and more stain resistant than the old porcelain on cast iron, but doesn't feel as yummy to the touch. Both are good products.

o
Steamy Sink Stories!

plllog- I just got off the phone with a non- commisioned lady from an online dealer, selling the Rohl fireclay. I didn't pull the $425 trigger yet. This is a 100 pound monster that needs some pondering. Not that I have many more options left LOL!

And I quote:

"I had a single bowl Fireclay (Whitehaus) for 9 years and it was the most beautiful sink I ever had. It was the thing I missed the most when leaving that house".

About the Rohl, I like this:

ALLIA FIRECLAY SINKS

In the Limoges region of France, Allia fireclay sinks are made with the same clay that goes into the world-famous Limoges fine ceramic ware. Allia sinks are as durable as they are beautiful. Each sinkis covered with a thick layer of glaze, which fuses with the clay to provide an exceptionally strong, hard surface that is stain and chip resistant.

Le Crueset, Allia, starting to see a pattern here. Hmm.

Here is a link that might be useful: It's French!!

o

No DSL tonight. Just darling little iPhone to keep me company. Got bills posted and (quelle horeur!) Solman's favorite dinner seeing as I was supposed to go away.

Villeroy and boch also make fireclay. Shop well. Talk to the guy etc.

o

I smell TAMALES!

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens. Part V111!

Sorry. I didn't mean to mislead. I was being facetious. It was drive thru. Invented in SoCal. Don't have to set foot out of the car. Pretty decent chicken sandwich and salad. I did say it was raining, right? At that point it was down to a soft mizzle, but still...

o

Lucky I don't have an iPhone!

Ooops forgot to tell.

Some Street Rodent broke into my car and took my Nokia cell phone on X-Mas Eve. It was a 7 year old Dinosaur by today's standards. I mean it was worth new $120 MAX, today maybe $5. In fact, that's why I liked it, low theft value. Go figure. What was this guy thinking? A new charger will cost him $30. A new SIM $30.

But this could be good for avoiding unwanted social situations.

"Hey you'll never believe it, but I lost your number. Really!"

Here is a link that might be useful: Dearly Missed

o

Well that's just rotten. Low theft value relies on stupid thieves knowing more than the average bear. Have you tried calling the phone to see if you can ransom it back?

o
Here's To Real DUMB Thieves, Merry X-Mas.

Yeah. no such luck. Plus I've disabled it now. He's toast with his $5 heist. The phone was a limp carrot; but my luck, some dumb, really dumb! rabbit still took the bite.

I was going to get the iPhone but tourists are being beaten, robbed, and raped for it. That's why I was in love with this Nokia antique.

o

Yikes!!! It's actually kind of sucky as a phone. My old LG/Verizon phone did the calling on the phone thing a lot better. But my office discontinued them, and I don't talk on the phone much if I can help it. The iPhone is a stellar mobile data platform. I never thought to use it for GW until I read that another member did. With apps you can port documents, geotag pictures, look up addresses and maps, and it automatically links phone numbers, so if you find one on the web you just touch it to call it. There's an RPN calculator and geometric formula calculator, bubble level, Internet radio, an identifier for known music (i.e., the kind of stuff in iTunes), and one for products, a Kindle reader application in which you can buy and read a book from Amazon, and free readers you can push other books into via wi-fi. And it's a decent little game platform.

If you've got good 3G coverage, it's the best! Plus you can just make calls. And it does a good job of syncing to your contact list. And I think they can even lo-jack it if it's stolen.

Yep. I love this little sucker.

o

You don't think I'm giving up on the sink so easy do you?

"since there will be Yellow between the Blue V-Cap and the Blue sink, they don't have to be an exact match", said the ominous voice of reason.

Furthermore, now that we see the Quarter Round style of tile-in installation, the Blue V Cap tile has even less relation to the sink edge which is essentially recessed or under mounted.

The guy with the Allia Fireclay dropping a knife and chipping it has me a little skeptical. The Woman at The Kohler design centre who threw a cast iron skillet at the sink impressed me.

Kohler Bakersfield

Unknown

DSCF9002

plllog, is it true you have a White sink?

o
Side By Side

plllog- here's the plan. I need someone, a top notch artistic/design eye to look at the 2 inch x 1 inch Kohler Cobalt Cast Iron sample and my Mexican Cobalt V-Cap, side by side, and give me a good opinion. Our reason and the above photos seems that it can be done.

o

Solman, that there is a very nice sink shape for your kitchen. Unfotunately from the pictures above I tend to agree with you about the color being just too off. I know the quality isn't the same (though it should be adequate), but have you taken a good look at the American Standard cobalt cast iron? I think the color may be better.

o

UGH! Never mind. I went to the American Standard website and first of all can't find out what the heck their sinks are made of, and also didn't see the cobalt color.

On my graphics computer, rather than the phone, I'll tell you that the sink I'm seeing above, and the tile, are total no go together. Bad. Yuck. Good sink. Get white.

o

partypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartyparty

Happy New Year!! from the land of 70 highs! Glad to have fled the drizzles, even if it's good for the parade. Coming to you from the last dregs of 2009...

partypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartypartyparty

o
Thanks To The Pride of California!

plllog- you must have ESP!

I just hopped upstairs to put a little wish together and your post, I mean work of ART, appeared. Thank you, it's beautiful!

I was going to wait since you're just warming up in the Sun Belt but our clocks are a tickin right now.

May I wish you, Stef, Missy, Martha Villa (and your Sister), Tex, and all our wonderful funsters

FELIZ AO NUEVO

On the celebration table is a bottle of Cabernet Franc Sparkling Ice Wine and Smoked Salmon on Wasa bread with cream cheese. Can't forget the Black olives. Plllog what about you? Any alcohol flowing through your California veins.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thought For The Moment

o

That's a 21 bleeepth salute, my friend.

I'm vacating in this bright and balmy land where the T is total. Nothing more intoxicating than chocolat chip ice cream.

What the heck is a Cabernet franc sparkling ice wine???

I hope it was good.

o
Plllog Can I Offer You a Glass...?

Bon Dia! Feliz Ano Novo.

Have I got a boozing story for you!

Cabernet Franc is one of the major red grape varieties worldwide. So, about 7 years ago, a local Winery here made a tiny 175 ml Limited Edition Sparkling Cab Franc Icewine. I was handing them out for X-Mas gifts to clients and family. Then after trying a bottle, I stopped. It was so yummy! I have maybe 8 bottles left in my wine cellar a.k.a the Black Hole ... six feet under.

So last night I discovered thought hey it's a special moment so why not crack one of these babies open. I then chilled it up and at midnight started to pop it open. It has the wired assembly upon cork for explosion safety. Now as I was pushing the cork up and eventually off, there was just a pathetic excuse for a pop but no exploding into the ceiling like the launching of an Apollo Rocket.

Then I poured into a clear ice wine flute and saw this opaque, dark brown sludge. No bubbles of course.

Yeah, my little treasure chest of bottles were all scrap. So, no bubbly for my eager mouth at the strike of 12 last night. Lucky I didn't roll these out on a carpet for a group celebration!

But like any good story, there must always be a happy ending. So today, I will crack open a full sized bottle of Sigura Viudas Brut Reserva, Traditional method a.k.a. Champagne. And then I can truly ring in for a Happy New Year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Please, May I?

o

From The German AEG Research and Command Centre,

plllog- don't worry haven't cracked the bottle open yet. So all 1Litre of bubbly is still available:)

But something my investigative eyes have noticed. Looks like AEG is onto something. This new induction cooktop line that was just released in Germany seems to have a unique color surfacing that no other manufacturer has.

Pardon my non existent German so can't really read the description. But now the 30 inch size comes with this hazed, mesh, look in Black or White. And some Gaggeneau style, but touch, controller. Also comes with a metal frame if desired. Would that look better than bevelled glass or worse?

Possible theories for this new look glass ceramic.

1. Visually the glaring, shiny, Black glass we have always had whether regular Electric or induction, was never favorable to most people, so AEG muted the color down with this meshed look. Good decision!

2. This mesh surface may actually have some purpose other than cosmetic. Hides scratches, retains heat better, cools faster, easier to clean, who knows.

Maybe good that I didn't pull the trigger yet since this is their new line. Any feelings?

Bad news...$1,100 Euros. Yikes! Back to basic, glaring, BLACK

Here is a link that might be useful: 2010 AEG Inductions

o

Okay, since you were shy on the details I looked up "icewine" and "Cabernet Franc". Found out that the latter was a blending grape for Cabernet Sauvinon and Merlot (and served as a varietal in Canada), and that icewine was frozen on the vine. Interesting! I'm so sorry your trove didn't survive. My father once laid down some great 1958 Cab and it turned. It didn't go vinegar, but wasn't true. It was the best darned lamb baste ever!!!

My favorite red is also mostly used as a blending wine. It's Spanish old vine Granacha. It's much richer than the wines currently in vogue for their tanins.

No opinion on the reason for the mesh other than your speculations, especially about the scratches. People hate those. There are some out there which are speckled, and Miele advertises that there's is plain and blacker than anyone else's. Monogram and ...Thermador?... have those weird semi-translucent "stainless" ones. At least one of those is kind of orange. Diva and De Dietrich used to both make a lot of white ones, but they've both cut back.

Induction will work through stone, though the stone might crack at higher heat levels than they currently use. At some point someone will figure out that designer colors would be appreciated.

I don't think a metal frame would look good, unless you're trying to match that metal framed sink. And I don't think beveled or not makes a big difference. If you really like one better than the other, go for it.

Black is expected. Get the less expensive one and you can change it out a few years down the road when one comes in Talavera flowers.

o

Your line of wines in vogue was well said. Right now the craze of Oak Barrel aged Reds is one that I'm not so fond of. Especially not being a meat eater. They pair well with the innocent sacrificial Lambs and Cows of the world.

But i love the Beaujolais and feel that it is the star of French wines. Light, crisp, fruity, refreshing, digestible.

One thing I will never forget. When in eating in France, I noticed that Coke and Perrier is always the same price as White-Red Table Wine. 1.50-2.00 Euro. What a no brainer.

Also, on that note, the scandalous prices charged for wine in this country is amazing. In Europe, there are hundreds of good wines at all supermarkets and discounters like Aldi for 1.99 Euro per bottle. Medal winning wines for 3-4 Euros. I actually revel in finding the bargain "Hit" when there. Friends are amazed but somehow I manage to discover gem after 1.99 Euro gem. Actually it's not such a great feat.

People don't realize that the French do not drink bottled wine. They don't even DRINK wine! They simply use it to wash down their food at the table. And it is always Vin de Pays, a.k.a table wine.

Here I live in the Niagara wine country of Canada but refuse to buy the wines. I simply cannot justify paying $12 and up for a "blend" bottle of wine made 20 minutes from my house when The Liquor Store sells Argentine Malbecs 89+ Rating for $7.45. And I know, that in turn, is a 1.99 Euro wine in Europe.

Really, it's just fermented Grape Juice with slick marketing to create an image of some sacred Holy water. Don't fall for it.

o

plllog-you won't laugh if I tell you this will you?

I agree that the new mesh look AEG inductions are a little steep for our sensibilities. Like we learned with The Faucet Pageant, the whole Kitchen Reno Spend Cycle can be endless. And one can get good without mindlessly overspending.

So here's what I'm thinking. The 28 inch IKEA free zone is OK and good value. But for $190 Euros more (found a place in UK that will give me the 30 inch and refund the VAT 15%-about 50 pounds) you can get the 30 inch AEG free zone.

Advantages:

IKEA 28 inch is vague on the features. Just burner power specs.

AEG 30 has Stop and Go, I think back to original heat level in case phone rang and you shut it down.

AEG 30 has the staggered zone pattern instead of square grid. More space between pots.

AEG 30 has slider controls at front of cooktop. IKEA has the arrow up and down touch.

AEG 30 is bevelled edge. Maybe that's a nice design touch, IKEA no mention but surely not.

AEG 30 "may" look more balanced under the mural since Mural is 37.5 inches. Not sure just stabbing in the dark.

AEG 30 is more North American sized so I can yank it if I were to leave. Or if I don't leave but want to upgrade to the multicolor Stone Talavera Inductions coming out next year ;), I can easily sell this one. Harder to sell the IKEA both due to size and the lower brand image (even though it clearly says by AEG).

Curious, if you didn't have your Viking 15 inch Gas Burners, would you have opted for a bigger induction? If so, 28 or 30 inch?

Your assessment on the above?

Here is a link that might be useful: The 30 inch AEG

o
But Wait. There's More!

Congratulations!

After really thinking about your set-up plllog, I think you are a Kitchen design genius! <---compliment.

If only i had the space for 24 + 15 :(

I see from the AEG UK and Gaggeneau Germany site that the 15Inch accompanying burner is the new direction in cooktop design. Especially for WOK cooking. This dedicated vehicle enables Superior functionality since these little 15 inchers are serious turbocharged devices.

You won't believe what you see with the AEG link below. Amazing Induction but concave for a REAL round bottom WOK! Fantastic.

So after careful evaluation, if I change house one day, I would go 24 inch induction + 15 inch induction WOK. Home run!

Well done California. You are true Euro.

Here is a link that might be useful: Stunning!!

o

Tell me true, m'sieur. Do you really wok enough for a dedicated burner?

I actually think there will be enough power in the central burner of the 24" for most wok purposes, for casual users. My chopstick skills aren't sufficient for higher heat anyway. And I'm more a slow food person.

The previous concept, the one I started with, was 15" two burner gas, 15" Gagg wok/induction (which is flat), 15" teppan yaki in the middle. The price went up by almost half, I decided I wanted more induction burners, and I didn't want to give up as much drawer space as it requires for the knobs.

Re size, all of your assertions are ridiculous, as are those about resale. I've been letting you ramble on about these things because you're a guy, and that's guy thinking, but your assumptions are out of whack and it's no way to make a decision. You can sell anything for the same relative worth as you bought it. Probably more on a downscale item that has a naturally lower price, than an luxury item. Upscale shoppers want new. They, and their more budget conscious cousins who are looking for more bang for a limited buck, love the nearly new Craig's List find at half price (not 3/4), but if you were going to sell it nearly new you'd be doing the kitchen for resale not for Talaverapalooza. The chance that you'll really want to change it out unless there's a problem with it is very very small. It's a cooktop, for heaven's sake!!

You should know that there is no standard size, and that Euro appliances are just as standardly bought in North America as overpriced French wines (though a lot of the price is for shipping and distribution, which are both much more delicate for wine than ball bearings). It doesn't matter what top you change to, you're likely to have to do some alteration to the countertop.

Buy the one you like the features you like.

I actually don't like the arc thing so much. For instance, I think on the square grid you can put a canning pot right in the middle and turn on all the burners, right? And certainly for a roasting pan, fish pan, griddle, or whatever, a straight line is going to be superior to a diagonal. Some of the other features seem good though.

What do you actually cook? Does any of this matter?

On looks, while the crosshatched one might be cuter, and the 30" balance the fruit basket, you're still dealing with the 24" oven. Either you have a big step down, or with the 28", an inverted triangle.

And fie on your assumption that oak barrel reds work well with red meats! Or were you referring to the lamb baste? Any great wine makes a great lamb baste. In fact, the oakiness deadens the taste buds. Actually, a Cab pairs beautifully with barbecued steak. Maybe mutton, but who eats mutton nowadays? But sharp and smoky goes well. Rich and beefy, or delicate like fillet, just don't. I frankly think the Cab craze is for people who don't have sufficient taste receptors or who smoke or something, because they can't taste subtler tones and want in on wine snobbery.

Okay, can you tell? I don't like Cabernet Sauvignon? I've had some really fine ones that I did enjoy, but there are so many way overpriced bottles of swill out there.

I bet you'd love Two Buck Chuck. Try some when you come to California. Some years are a lot better than others (it's made from wine lake, so it really depends on what's surplus).

Most French wines are grown from California vine stock nowadays, because of the blight, so there's not so much to choose from. Try some Californias if you get tired of the freight (don't they get through without duty on NA Free Trade? Or is alcohol an exception?)

I thought your area was mostly known for concord? Great for candy, but not exactly what I'd call a table wine with great finesse...

o
Pirate Niagara Wine Beats World Best. Big Upset!

I thought your area was mostly known for concord? Great for candy, but not exactly what I'd call a table wine with great finesse...

I thought the same. But about 3 years ago, a very renowned French winemaker bought a Niagara vineyard close to here. There was a big article on how and why the purchase was made. They scientifically analyzed, grapes, soil, temperature, climate, light, wind, etc. everywhere in the world and the winning combination for winemaking was that which he bought, here.

Last year, 2009, at The Judgement of Montreal, Le Clos Jordanne's Claystone Terrace 2005, an elegant Chardonnay from this upstart Niagara winery bested the world's most treasured wines. The feat was akin to a precocious child winning a place among the Nobel elite. Further sweetening the result was the fact the judges thought they were judging only French and California wines. The Niagara wine was amongst a handful of "pirates" snuck into the test.
Even the winery had no idea that their bottle had been entered!

Here is a link that might be useful: World's Best

o

Another French winemaker that has set up shop in the Niagara Wine Belt. Chateau de Charmes.

The reason the soil is so rich is because hundreds/thousands of years ago, the present land was part of the Lake Bed of Lake Ontario. Now the Lake has receded and the resulting land is so fertile that even cigarette butts will sprout like mushrooms. Just kidding ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chateau de Charmes

o
Well Said.

"Re size, all of your assertions are ridiculous, as are those about resale. I've been letting you ramble on about these things because you're a guy, and that's guy thinking, but your assumptions are out of whack and it's no way to make a decision. You can sell anything for the same relative worth as you bought it. Probably more on a downscale item that has a naturally lower price, than an luxury item. Upscale shoppers want new. They, and their more budget conscious cousins who are looking for more bang for a limited buck, love the nearly new Craig's List find at half price (not 3/4), but if you were going to sell it nearly new you'd be doing the kitchen for resale not for Talaverapalooza. The chance that you'll really want to change it out unless there's a problem with it is very very small. It's a cooktop, for heaven's sake!!"

Well said, agreed.

"I actually don't like the arc thing so much. For instance, I think on the square grid you can put a canning pot right in the middle and turn on all the burners, right? And certainly for a roasting pan, fish pan, griddle, or whatever, a straight line is going to be superior to a diagonal. Some of the other features seem good though."

Also, well said. Agreed.

o

Speaking of 2 buck Chuck, we have a Canadian success story as in millions of bottles sold upon release. It happened last year when the "buzz" started about a new Argentine Malbec 88 Rating for $7.45. That, by the way, is the lowest price bottle of Red you can buy in Ontario. Nothing lower.

People were buying 3 cases at a time! It was sold out for months. Amazing.

I believe it has hit about 1 million bottles or cases, I forget when numbers are that huge.

Here is a link that might be useful: Fuzion

o

Very cool about the prehistoric lakebed wines and their success, but I don't quite get the rush to cheap wine. I'd rather one $15 bottle of nice wine than two bottles of eeh wine. And I'd rather one $35 of really good wine than four bottles of eeh.

About 15 years ago, I was in the midwest at a conference. I was at the grocery store getting wine and munchies for visitors in my studio. They were trying to sell Kendal-Jackson Chardonnay (a very good wine) for $35. I'm a California girl. My attitude was I wasn't paying $35 for K-J without a sommelier. I mean, really, if you're going to charge thrice the price and include seating space, service, glasses, etc., I'm really okay with it. But not at the chain grocery store!! I bought their $10 loss leader which was only a couple dollars overpriced.

Reminds me of travelling in Alberta when I was in my teens. There were big signs in the grocery store raving "California tomatoes!!" like they were a special treat. These were the sorriest looking culls we'd ever seen. The ones we'd put into sauce because they weren't fit for the table. So sad...so sad. But then I was also glad that California was doing well enough, even though it was a similar time of world economic malaise, that we could keep the good produce for ourselves.

You can take the wine--and tomatoes--out of California, but something funky happens to the sticker when you do...

BTW, you do know I was teasing you, right? 2BC is plonk. It's just that during a good year it's palatable plonk.

o

Forgot to mention. Home now, but the vacation was heavenly! It was 75 F today!! I actually got warm!

Hope it's (relatively) warm for the rest of you as well!

o

Hi, sorry I've been AWOL - got busy with Christmas, NY, family, renos etc etc. I see I've gotta go back and do a bunch of reading now. bbiab :o)

o

Plllog- you said "home now, vacation was lovely." Did you go away? And this 75 degree stuff is really amazing. We're at Minus -9C! But I like your motivation as in LEAVE from here for sun break.

Well the Tomato times have changed. Looks like too many California tomatoes bit the bullet in shipping. So now, the absolute best are vine ripened Hot House tomatoes. They look splendid and hopefully they are not GMO.

Speaking of wine, had to pick up a bottle of Champagne last night (client gift) and interesting that the 90 rating Bollinger that I picked was 20 dollars more than an 89 rated bottle. Once you get up in the prestige range, the price to small increments ratio really increases. I was also impressed that the Vintages girl steered me to Bollinger because she said, "If it's good enough for James Bond, it must be good enough for the rest of us." I re-iterated with if it's good enough for The Bond Girls, it must be good ;)

Ah the blessings of Hollywood.

o
Look What I Found!

And yes the backsplash wraps around the corner. GULP ---> Hello Mexico, please increase the Yellow tile order.

On the quarter round color, I'm leaning to Yellow to de-emphasize the... yeah all right I'll take White...sink. It will also not break up the nice L shaped lines of the Cobalt Blue V-Cap.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Wrap

o

Hi Missy!!

We get the hot house tomatoes too. They've improved a lot over the years. They used to have absolutely no flavor and were merely for looks. They're passable now and we buy them when there are no Califoria or Mexico real tomatoes.

Remember that the Talavera v-cap is only 4" long. It has a different finished look than the pic above. But that is a very good example of matching the quarter round to the V. Something I'm also doing. Because of lot variations the yellow quarter round might actually stick out more. It's not much tile. It might be worth buying both colors to audition in person. I don't say get samples because they could be from yet another lot.

Did you not like my suggestion to fill in with you other samples double barrel style? Then you wouldn't have to fuss mixing in the new yellows in a visually random but therefore anything but random manner. The new yellows might be close enough that when they're mixed in you can barely tell and they just give color. Or they might come up as darker or lighter dots. Can't know until you try, or just use what you have until it runs out and live with it.

o

Prairie-Happy New Year! Hope X-Mas was merry to you. Plllog and I have been holding the fort and Stef should be back any time now; and Mathavila awaiting your return, but please drive safe on the way back. I say this because a very lovely friend of mine in the UK had not one but 2 accidents over the holidays and her poor neck is very sore. Yes Winter/bad drivers related.

But we'd love to hear about your Holiday Missy.

o

Blue V-Cap- We can get these either as 4 inch or 6 inch. Which size would look better? The Practicality Police would say the 6 inch like that photo above since there are fewer gout lines. But visually?

DSCF9072

Not sure I understand "fill in with your other samples Double Barrel style". Double Barrel was above?

Do you mean we use above double barrel style for entire backsplash including wrap around at the end walls?

Or mixing the additional Guadalajaras as Double barreled only into the wrap around ends of counter?

Note: The extra Guadalajaras I filled in during the tile layouts are distinctly different from my actual Guadalajaras. Different Supplier, different size.

o

Hello, back home again after a fun New Year. There wasn't as much gunfire around town as there used to be, so that's a plus. One family did end up with a bullet in the fridge. It's cold here, not by your standards, but they are predicting down to 20oF (6oC) by the end of the week.

I've finished the required catch up reading and sounds like you're well along the way on decisions. Did you decide on the cabinets yet?

o

I thought you already had the four inch cobalt v-cap? It's traditional for Talavera. The grout does have to match up, and because setting it right and accounting for swell and shift is tricky, this is another reason you want 25 year Tile Setter.

Yep to doing the double barrel on the wrap end as well, and if necessary alter the yellow spacing, but no to the second lot of Guadalajaras. If you want to use them, embed them in the plaster for your chair rail.

You had some other samples. Can't remember which ones, Sevilla?, that you could alternate with the Guadalajara shots to extend the yellows with tiles on hand. Or just buy some coordinating deco tiles.

Or just use the yellows you have on hand until they run out.

And/or choose one of the backsplash designs that uses more of the Guadalajaras but not the second lot of them.

Or do a yellow stagger around the corners and fill up with some new cobalt trim. Or green.... Or stop me from getting too creative on your kitchen or it'll go back to full on rustic.

o
NOT Missing In Action

Happy New Year Stef! Glad to have you're back and alive, without the stray bullets! As a Canadian I feel very fortunate that we have a proper gun law as in NOT ALLOWED. Shame that the NRA has that much clout to influence such wrecklessness. Thank you Micheal Moore for opening our eyes to the gun reality-Bowling For Columbine.

The cabinets? You mean the color right, not the arrangement? Color definite White.

o

Steff! Happy New Year!

You'd think the idiots would at least use blanks since they can't figure out that firecrackers are a less idiotic way to use gunpowder.

Solman, Don't believe everything Michael Moore says. His narratives are very distorted. Good storytelling, but no more factual than Oliver Stone's JFK pic. Fact is, NRA or no, we have the mythos of the American West, and it doesn't matter what the law is, Americans aren't giving up their guns. I bet there are lots and lots of Canadians who have illegal guns. Lots of Americans have illegal guns. Now they're going after the ammo, because, paraphrasing, guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Steff, glad to hear that the idiots can't afford more bullets this year, but sorry you're cold. It's warmed up here too, though not as nice as it was down south.

o

Thanks and Happy New Year plllog, solman and all.

It is illegal in Texas and everywhere else I can think of to fire guns in the city limits. Every year there are morons who do it anyway, in spite of the consequences.

Mexico has some of the strictest gun laws in the world, but that doesn't stop the horrific violence that is taking place there.

Michael Moore? The very picture of American excess...

Now back in the kitchen. White is a good choice for the cabinets and we're not letting you change your mind now. Really, you should go with the blue for the quarter round and the trim on the backsplash.

o

Thanks Stef. Mexico's violence is disturbing. But we must bear in mind that all this violence is not so much a reflection of the country but of the Drug War at large. Common people do not buy or have guns. In all my time spent in Mexico, I still have never met a person that owned a gun. It truly saddens me to see the reputation that Mexico now bears just because of unruly thugs.

Quarter round-Plllog you would like to see me order both. Stef you like the Blue. Got a mail from Ms. Wonderful and she opted for Yellow. I guess it's not a lot of extra weight and cost so could order both colors. Plllog good point about die lots. In fact my little Lupi in Mexico already warned me when I bought the bullnosed Yellows that today's Yellow tone that they make is different than 10 years ago.

Sink- We need votes for the 2 only possibilities. The fireclay vs Kohler Cast iron. Both are the perfect 30 inch size.

Fireclay - Rohl Ailla $425

Kohler Cast Iron- $500 Has faucet deck, But with our under mounting it, that deck would be covered and hence still require drilling into tile right?

Plllog, I think your preferred the Kohler Cast in White

Cabinets-

When the undesirability of the (rarely used in design) corner wall cabinet came up, it has sparked my interest. After I looked at it more closely and with your comment plllog about liking clean lines and corners this is what I gathered.

Why the corner cabinet in the first place?

1. Because the IKEA Kitchen designer said so. Little did I realize that it's up to me! But mathematically it fit my measurements without filler in the corner. Also, she was concentrated on having the identical cabinets on either side of the Mural for symmetry. To her credit, visually, the IKEA designer cannot see or imagine the soffits above. Those soffits somewhat dictate the shape of the room up top since they are quite large and prominent.

2. Because I wanted to display the Mexican plates/ fine glassware. Hence the windowed cabinet. Originally I had window cabinets flanking the stained glass window and I changed that plan and made those solid doors and solved the problem of competing with the big design window.

3. Carpenter must build white box for pipes inside cabinets. Therefore, the white box will be visible through the glass.

Now I'm thinking how many visuals do you really need in such a small space? Is displaying the dishes that necessary when the cabinet they're in could visually affect the overall Kitchen plan. Also, there is enough color and Talavera in the Mural, Backsplash, countertop, Water Jug, and the lovely Cucharero (Talavera spoon dish) which will be proudly placed on the counter beside the cooktop.

Next point, the water pipes against the wall, in the corner. With the current corner cabinet, the glass shelves will have to be custom made to meet the boxed in pipes that have been cut into the cabinet. No idea but could be pricey.

Changing the current set up is quite easy. It involves putting a 24 inch cabinet (from the cooktop wall-right of Mural) in place of the corner, on the window wall. On the cooktop wall, replacing the 24" with 2 18 inchers. That would give a perfect square L corner. Also, on the Window wall, there could be more symmetry since there is a 30 inch solid door to the right of window, and with new set up, would be a 36 inch to left of window. Thus window really becomes focus of the Window Wall.

PIPE NOTE: My formula of the 36 inch on that wall means 9 inch filler of which 3.5 inches would be wasted anyways for pipes + box around pipe.

REMOVAL NOTE: The IKEA cabinets are on ( the world's greatest system) metal rails. So cabinet install and removal is as simple as loosening the bolts and pulling cabinet off the rail. The rails are screwed into the wall.

I only mention this based on your feedback and know that after plugmold, etc, this will be a lot more work to do.

Question is will the lack of displaying glasses and having an illuminated cabinet be overshadowed by a visually better wall cabinet design?

Also, after you guys mentioned, I stood facing the Cooktop/Mural wall and imagined the square corner and seems like the room would appear larger, since you don't have the diagonal corner cabinet. That in a 10x10 is advantageous?

Or just forget the foolishness and stay as is!

DSCF8909

DSCF8913

P.S.

Just checked the IKEA Kitchen catalogue and out of ALL the model kitchens, not one displayed with the corner wall. Is it a true Dog cabinet?

I'm also including a new perspective photo below that hopefully illustrates the Window to soffit to Cabinet visuals to the left of window.

Total distance left of window to Corner is 45 inches. Including sticking out boxed pipes. IKEA cabinet sizes are 15, 18, 24, 30, 36. Any of these I would need to use.

DSCF9121

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Bakersfield

o

Why are you tiling over the faucet deck???? The quarter round fits behind the faucet. The reason I like the cast iron is the deck contains the puddles. Did you even talk to Tile Setter about it? You need to talk to him before you decide. Maybe that's what the metal flange on the tile on version is for? Kohler have lots of double duty sinks, for instance, my dressing table sink could be dropped in or mounted under counter with clips. Saves them making and stocking two types.

Re corner cabinet, a lot of it sounds like overthinking though I don't disagree with the thoughts. The one that sticks out is the pipe thing. If the box for the pipe doesn't take up the whole space in one direction there's no glass shelves. If it does, cutting them to fit is no big deal. You can't cut an in corner into glass--it'll break. Slicing a strait piece off is something any idiot can do. A non-idiot can make it fit first try. I bet Carpenter could do it easy peasy.

As to the look, it's really not all that bad even with the four or five corners it's conflicting with. The glass door looks nice and so does your stufff, even though, as you say, you won't be needing the decor. But what's this folderol about two cupboards?? That's not the way you do it!! Don't Ikea have a 90 cupboard? If not, can't Carpenter alter the one you have and hinge together a couple of doors for you?

What you have now looks a lot better than what I think you mean by your perfect L with a hole in the corner or an overlap. The glass door is harmonious with the rest of the room. And if glass shelves don't work you can line up white shelves with the mullions or whatever they're called.

You're right that you need to decide this before bacsplash and plugmold. So be sure you're really happy with your choice no matter what we say because you're going to be living with it.

o

Too many visuals in a Colorful Mexican Kitchen? That is possible, but not likely in your kitchen.

When you first posted photos of your kitchen, I wrote that you needed a glass door cabinet to display some colorful pieces at eye level. When you showed the elevation with the corner cabinet and I thought it worked really well. It is asymmetrical, but that adds character. The plates will hide the pipe box and you don't have to go with glass shelves and lighting in there. Straight cabinets in the corner can be awkward as far as storage goes.

Almost any decision has trade-offs and issues, the question usually is what level of imperfection can you live with.

o

Steff said it so well!! And with brevity! Something I admire greatly.

o

Well said guys! Thank You.

plllog- agreed on the faucet deck. It is the perfect solution for my Valley of Dreams behind the sink. Yes I must meet the Tile Setter to confirm before ordering. Now I know why i mentioned this. In the Bakersfield photos Kohler shows, they covered the deck; which never made sense to me. But as you say, they are showing multi uses for their products so in case you don't like the look of the deck, you can still buy this sink and cover it.

Stef-looks like you like Plan A and Plllog too. Naturally that is the easiest solution because it's already up. And since I don't get any "hideously unsightly" notions from either of you (like the crown moulding inside the soffits) then the design is OK.

plllog- your hinged door idea is brilliant. I have NEVER seen it at any Kitchen shop in Canada. Maybe it's an American thing like the face frame cabinets which I LOVE, by the way. After you mentioned it, I see what a pain it is to get into the 30 inch cabinet to the right of the window by opening both 15 inch doors from the middle. Can I still hinge them? Or would you bother?

o

Hi, I hate to say it, but I gave up on reading all the back posts. There are too many! :o)
I had a good Christmas, I love having family close. I know that as time goes, they likely will scatter, but hopefully not too far.

Without reading all the posts it's hard to comment on specifics, but I wanted to ditto what Steff said. All decisions are going to be trade-offs. I don't know if I could ever get all that I would 'like' in a kitchen built from scratch. There's just no way to 'have it all' I think? In a reno it's even harder. Especially a small reno. :o)

o
sale

Sorry I should have added that if you haven't purchased everything yet solman, ikea has a 10% gift card sale on this month. I guess I'm glad I waited to buy my cabinets. :o)

o

Thanks Prairie-Yes lucky I didn't do the oven switch yet. Was terrified by the Holiday rush of shoppers. I just hope there isn't a catch like spending a minimum of $1,000, which they had in the past. My oven is "only" $950. So beware.

Stef, plllog- Do they run the same thing at the US IKEA's?

What it really means is that everything ha been intentionally over-priced by 10 % , so that these lures can be done. It works, everywhere in retail.

o
Party Invitation

Plllog, Stef, get you ski boots ready please we're all going skiing! Prairie, you probably have more than us anyways, but please join us.

Stef- we don't need the pricey tolls of Tremblant or Whistler, we've got 14 inches right outside my front door!

Yes it's Mother Nature saying welcome to 2010. And many thanks to her for such a not so warm welcome:)

o
10 percent

Ya, I know it's a racket - it's the same everywhere. :) And yes, there is a 1000 min.
Just the same, I would rather get 10% back than not.

o

awwww, thanks guys, a compliment to start the year. Kitchens are like life, aren't they?

Ikea hasn't offered the 10% here as far as I know. They do have a "Big Freakin' Sale" going. I did notice last year that their prices seemed to be going higher. I used to pick up all kinds of things when I was there, but now their prices on storage stuff and gadgets aren't as irresistible as they used to be.

o

Oh, Lordy NO!! Solman!!! No hinge on your 30" cabinet. Hinge is a standard euro cabinet detail for a corner cabinet with two little doorfaces, to pull it out and away from the cabinet for good access. I'm positive it exists in Canada.

No DSL again. Short answer. Road to brevity!

o

plllog's having fun with the iPhone. Should I....?

o
There's An App For That

I would laugh if we saw an iPhone ad that went like this:

Problems designing your Kitchen? Well, there's an App for that. Kitchen Designer.

Problems finding the perfect sink? Well, there's an App for that. Sink finder.

o

Boots for skiing? Surely a good pair of Keens is sufficient for getting down to the water? I haven't been skiing forever but we went in barefoot!

o

LOL, plllog, water skiing requires a lot less stuff and warmer too. Traded in the ski equipment in favor of golf a few years ago and never looked back.

We are in for the coldest weather in 40 years here. Might not get above freezing Friday with sleet/snow mix. We rarely get down to freezing more than once in the average winter here.

o

Yummmmmmm, cow.

o

ROTFLOL!!! Angela, I'm not sure what that's about--the wine discussion?--but it was worth a really big laugh.

Steff, is it the global warming or ordinary variation? Do they know? Things are getting scary with y'all in the cold.

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part V111! 2

Posted by solman (My Page) on Sat, Jan 2, 10 at 12:41

Your line of wines in vogue was well said. Right now the craze of Oak Barrel aged Reds is one that I'm not so fond of. Especially not being a meat eater. They pair well with the innocent sacrificial Lambs and Cows of the world.

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part V111! 3

I'm not sure why, but I seem to focus in on all the posts that have to do with drinking and/or eating.

Oh, Boston Market was yummy. We do steamed and fresh spinach here as well. One of the easiest things we do is microwave spinach a few seconds until it is wilted, then top with feta cheese, chopped fresh tomato, and Raspberry Walnut Vinaigrette dressing. Such an easy and yummy side dish.

o

Angela, that does sound good!! When I was little I'd only eat cooked spinach if it was served a la Russe. That is, with sour cream and chopped egg. No big on the healthy eating list, but yummy. Raw spinach, however is yummy cow style. That is, plain chomping.

o

Happy New Year Angela!

Just walked in and glad I caught you. Sorry had to pop out for work. Need to work because plllog wants me to buy an iPhone and I'll have to make some money to pay for it. $700 Yikes! You know how many bags of Spinach we can buy with that?

Speaking of food, I had lunch at Teriyaki Experience in the Mall food court today. I must say the Teppanyaki really impresses me. It's so healthy and so flavorful and so fresh. Hmm, future Pan Asian Kitchen, Induction + Teppanyaki. Nice.

o
Hello

Angela,

I can't find Stef. Wonder if she's Night Skiing?

Pllog, well looks like she heard Lake when I said meet at Mountain. I think she's a little "Snowflake" shy. Too much time in the California Saunas.

o

They have saunas in Finnland.

I saw a great teppan yaki cart once. It might be superior. It was designed to flatten as it expands with heat. Not sure I'm a good enough cook for it. I'm better at slow ;)

What kind of iPhone were you looking at?? Ours are something like $200 plus service. It's the service that's the killer. Is yours included? If so, that's a good price. But I actually liked your idea of the who wod bother stealing this? phone, even if the premise failed.

'Course, I wandered off course on Thursday and didn't know where I was. I was going to call but thought I should at least google a map first (too lazy to take out a paper map). You can just hold your finger on the address and the map comes up with a pin in it, and an accurate you are here dot. Very useful.

o

No night skiing, but I do occasionally engage in an activity known as life. Made a grocery run to get ahead of the cold weather. Tortillas made fresh daily in the store, yummm.

Hi Angela, glad you had a reasonable explanation for the cow comment. Yummm for the spinach also. Almost time to plant that here.

My favorite wine is white Bordeaux and I'm sure it's not "in" these days, but I've been a fan since our French neighbors shared it with us years ago.

The weather is cold because El Nino is fading and La Nina is taking over. We've had La Nina trends before, just not this cold for a while. Guess I'm feeling lazy now, so no PITA tilde this time.

o

Yeah I was impressed by your iPhone. The $700-$800 for the 32 G was without a Plan. I know the 3 year Contract is the cheaper way to get it. But $70/mth means my little toy will be $2500 in 3 years. I'm a super low usage cell user. I play the $10 prepaid card per month game and seldom buy more than one per month. I would use the iPhone wiz bang for emergencies and at free Wifi Spots only.

Also, I can't get locked to a Carrier or contract because of travel. I like buying new sims in foreign destinations so that all my calls are cheap and local. You wouldn't believe how cheap mobile service is in the rest of the world outside North America. Monopoly land Canada has the highest rates in the world! You're probably second so don't laugh. And when the cost of the iPhone is almost the Annual wage in some countries, it will get stolen and you will be targeted.

On the way home today, I thought what does the iPhone do well? Gadget. The Web, App's, games, etc. What does it not do so well? Be a phone. I mean just the form factor is not so phone like for talking and holding. Other Candy bar form phones, think LG Rumor, feel better as phone phones.

So, the ideal gadget combo would be a larger iPhone for a better viewing experience for Internet, Games, Reading, Apps, etc. ,with a 10 inch screen, combined with a separate don't bother stealing this shameful dinosaur $49 phone.

That wish will come true on Jan 26 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, when we get the iSlate. FINALLY!.

For the record I am an Apple guy from Birth. Never owned or used a PC in my lifetime (except at an Internet Cafe, unfortunately). Hope you heard that Steve.

o

Eeeewww.

Worms.

o

Yeah I was impressed by your iPhone. The $700-$800 for the 32 G was without a Plan. I know the 3 year Contract is the cheaper way to get it. But $70/mth means my little toy will be $2500 in 3 years. I'm a super low usage cell user. I play the $10 prepaid card per month game and seldom buy more than one per month. I would use the iPhone wiz bang for emergencies and at free Wifi Spots only.

Also, I can't get locked to a Carrier or contract because of travel. I like buying new sims in foreign destinations so that all my calls are cheap and local. You wouldn't believe how cheap mobile service is in the rest of the world outside North America. Monopoly land Canada has the highest rates in the world! You're probably second so don't laugh. And when the cost of the iPhone is almost the Annual wage in some countries, it will get stolen and you will be targeted.

On the way home today, I thought what does the iPhone do well? Gadget. The Web, App's, games, etc. What does it not do so well? Be a phone. I mean just the form factor is not so phone like for talking and holding. Other Candy bar form phones, think LG Rumor, feel better as phone phones.

So, the ideal gadget combo would be a larger iPhone for a better viewing experience for Internet, Games, Reading, Apps, etc. ,with a 10 inch screen, combined with a separate don't bother stealing this shameful dinosaur $49 phone.

That wish will come true on Jan 26 at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco, when we get the iSlate. FINALLY!.

For the record I am an Apple guy from Birth. Never owned or used a PC in my lifetime (except at an Internet Cafe, unfortunately). Hope you heard that Steve.

o

Strange behavior again. I just hit the refresh button!

o
What Time Is It?

It's the Fiesta of Colorful Pots!

OK perfect to quelch those Winter Blues that lie ahead with record cold temps.

So, we can escape that misery while we cook with the splash of Mexican color.

What do you think of this new color dig? Azul.

Our choices:

Black
Red
Yellow
Orange
Blue

27.08.09 011

o

Maybe not great with the cobalt but maybe lovely with the fruit basket. Any of those colors would be great, as well as Mexican green (not chartreuse). Maybe one of each?

o

Ooooh, that is very nice. Blue as a cure for winter blues. I know you have researched cookware quite a bit so a just a couple questions. Does it work with cobalt and are those rivets? I remember a discussion of rivets. I only have a few pieces with rivets, but don't have a problem cleaning them.

The blue seems a good choice from the list, though I might consider black also.

o

Le Creuset have the right green. I like the red and orange too. Not sure about the yellow with the tile but they should be far enough apaert to be okay. Only problem with the black is the black cooktop.

BTW, I never said you should buy an iPhone. Was just saying how useful I find it. As in all things, YMMV.

o
yeeeehaaaaw!!!!!!

I'm BACK!!!!!

Oh, such relief!!! The world!!! The world!!!!! It's here again at last!!

They insisted that there wasn't anything about their network update that could have fried my modem, but they brought me a new one and the world is rosy again.

And sunny and moderately warm. (Not really warm, but it is winter after all.)

Ahhhh!! Back to work...

o
Bored now

All y'all are out playing. I'm caught up on work. TV is reduced to NCIS--not bad in the looks dept., shy on intellectual involvment. Today is so amazing. Clear skies. Bright sun. Moderately warm. No allergies. Good sleep. I'd forgotten what it felt like to feel good!!!

But nothing much to do and no one to play with so here I am furnishing Solman's kitchen.

Not suggesting you throw over the funky German pots. Just having fun in Le Creuset land because I love my Le Creuset.

2 quart round in Carribean:
2 qt

3 1/2 qt. braiser in dijon:

Tagine in cobalt:
tagine

Saucier, 2.25 qt., in Dune:
saucier

Tatin in cerise:
tatin

6.75 qt oval in Flamme (makes a good small roaster too):
oval

9" trivet in cobalt:
trivet

Zen kettle in white
zen

16 qt. stockpot in cerise

But they don't have the good green any more!!!

o
I don't know, Captain, but it's green!

Williams Sonoma

This is Sonoma Green. One presumes, special for Williams Sonoma. It's not quite the same, but still a good dark green.

blue

They also have azure, above. And citron, below.

citron

But here (below) is the old green. I guess it's still available, but might be on its way out.
green

o
Poor Plllog. All Ready To Play But No One At The Playground

Oh my, our pride of California is back and with a BANG! And a definite extra kick in her step. Oh yes we can feel the new and revived you.

Glad to hear Plllog that you have finally entered the gates of civilization and discovered the Fountain of Youth. All of which shows in your latest inspired works of Le Creuset art.

I mean I haven't seen you like this since that Fiesta Night in San Juan!

Pardon Solman for not showing up at the sandbox this afternoon as he was in the big city working to help pay for that new iPhone that is subliminally dangling before his very eyes. Or is it that new iTablet? Or is it both? Now look what you've started.

But oh yeah, was that a nice trip. Funny you had such a nice sun type day, but here was a FANTASTIC dreamlike Winter Day. Not cold, not windy, sunny, everything storybook White and really fresh, crisp, air. The dream Winter day.

So like a child at X-Mas, I came back with all my big city goodies. The Fresh Udon Noodle soups from Korea with fresh Shitake and Oyster mushrooms for the said soups. Fresh Almonds from the Indian Supermarket. Fresh Kingfish Steaks from the Chinese Supermarket for the The Chef's Specialty tomorrow-Jamaican Jerk Kingfish. Delicious Kefir and Huslanka from the famous Ukrainian, Future Bakery. And last but not least, fresh Chocolate Mousse from the German Dimpflemeir Bakery.

But plllog I like your outlook on life, which will help me enjoy the Mexican Kitchen reno. That is, nice place to visit but you don't have to live there. In fact that's what makes it nice to visit because you don't live there. Not to mention I save a cool $300,000; which would buy lots of bags of steamed Spinach!

Now is this Le Creuset Dress Rehearsal a hint at mixing it up in the cookware collection. By the way, I LOVE the colors. Actually considering how fond I am of top quality cookware, it's a miracle that i never considered Le Creuset or any enamelled cookware. I guess I had my head buried in Stainless sand but glad that now I can see the light I mean color.

But Plllog how on earth do we decide on the right color? Or is that the point? It's color(s).

Speaking of colors. Shhhhhhhhhh I've got a little secret....

o
Oh My God

I just realized something!

These colored pots are SO Colorful Mexican Kitchen a la Mexicana.

He swings and... it's a home run!

o

Oh, I'm so glad you kicked yourself in the head so I didn't have to. Or to follow your metaphor, you finally hit it out of the park after fouling off a few...

But then, you know my philosophy: Why use one color when you can use ten? Why use ten colors when you can use 100?

Wheeeeeee!!!!

I promise I'm on nothing more than a good night's sleep, sunshine and tamarind. It just feels good to feel alive. :) Sounds like you had a good day too. Ooops! A yawn! Time to say goodnight!

o

I totally forgot!! I had a present for you. While I was cut off from my lovely graphics-a-go-go machine I snapped some corner cabinet pictures for you. Not suggesting you do this. We already worked out that you're not mucking stuff up. But I wanted you to understand.

closed

quarter

half

mostly

full

BONUS VIEW (lights only):
u/c lights

o
Dear Santa- I Mean Mrs. Klaus

I was a very good boy this X-Mas and got a nice present from you.

I enjoyed my present and have been playing with it every day. And I like it. It is very Bambooey. And I like the little wirey things under the wood boxes. And I like all the boxes on the wall because they can hold lots of toys that come every X-Mas.

Thank You Mrs. Klaus. Please feel free to send more presents anytime you want. I'm always good. Promise.

o

Beautiful cabinets, plllog. Glad you are feeling better today. I'm going in search of a cashmere wrap, as long as it's cold I might as well be luxuriously snug.

Mixing up the cookware is a great idea. I really don't like cookware sets anyway. Those colors are all fantastic, makes me want to take a trip to the Le Creuset outlet. I checked and there don't seem to be any in Canada.

Whew! Contractors are making a mess of things and lots of folks need help over on the discussion site today.

o

Stef- I can see the saw dust all the way up here! You'll need a Lung Bleaching for sure.

Thanks for checking on the Le Creuset. You know the odd time they do show up at Marshalls and TJ Maxx.

Looks like the Hollywood Color Queen has us both convinced. Who needs Big Box when we have Think Outside The Box. Plllog you better run out and get this idea patented! Otherwise we'll be seeing Mixed Colors by Revere soon.

Stef- speaking of, have you seen our California Beach Girl today? She's either on the sand, sunning it up, or maybe in line at the famous East LA Tamale place. Whatever it is, that blast of Sun and a good Siesta really has her hopping.

o

Hi! I've been... wait for it... getting tiles cut!

Glad you like the mixed colors. I thought they'd be great with La Fruit Basket. When I was first buying new pots I looked at some sets, and found that they weren't really a bargain because they have things I don't need and don't have things I do. They're great for shower presents, or even wedding presents, for kids who have nothing at all.

Gotta go save my folks from their telephone...tata!

o

Getting tiles cut? Sounds like you are getting the tiles in soon. That's great

Solman - Even better if you can find what you need at TJ Maxx or Marshall's stores as the outlet is typically a straight 25% off. You're more likely to find discontinued colors and pieces that will give you that collected over time look.

Should have specified that the contractors are at a friends house. In addition to what I have going on, I'm helping friends and family with renovation issues. My sister is building a house and another friend wants to take out some walls.

o

plllog-you mean....? They're... here!

The new die lot color was OK? Stop being so secretive. Otherwise its a another Suspense Thriller made for TV. The curiosity is killing us.

That would be the ultimate Happy New Year.

Stef lets get the Party tools ready. I'll take care of the Champagne (no stranger to that since last week). You definitely the food. Let's check on Boat Charters for the Beach Girl. I picture the whole celebration happening on a Boat Cruise. Wonder if Mariachis have ever played on a Boat. Dolphins around the boat would be a nice backdrop.

o

Oh, I forgot the tableware and Cutlery.

I think we need square Bamboo plates with Tigerwood chopsticks.

Some Jasmine incense would be nice too. I'll hand out the fresh Orchids to the ladies to put in their hair as they walk onto the Boat.

o

Oh, but solman...

That sounds like a party where Jamaican Jerk Kingfish would certainly be the star along with some of the other specialties you picked up in town. BTW, how was it?

And we eagerly await confirmation that all is going well with plllog's tile project.

o

Silly, silly Solman! Of course Mariachis have played on boats!!!

I'm not sure about the orchids though. I hate getting the sap in my hair.

Yes. The tiles have arrived. They're okay. Not brilliant, but flat and within tollerance of the sample. Most of them. A couple are whack. It'll be okay. Breathe. Don't jinx it. Shhhhhhhh!!!

Steff, good luck with all the contractors. It sounds like remodelling is catching where you live.

o
The Quickest Way To a Man's Heart Is... ?

Bottle of Zuccardi, Malbec-Shiraz, Fuzion $7.45

Pair of Banana Republic Jeans $79.00

Porsche Boxster $65,000

Fresh Jamaican Jerk Kingfish Dinner, Priceless!

DSCF9131

o

Why would you eat in a Porsche?

Nice plate, however.

o
The Quickest Way To a Man's Heart Is... ?

Bottle of Zuccardi, Malbec-Shiraz, Fuzion $7.45

Pair of Banana Republic Jeans $79.00

Porsche Boxster $65,000

Fresh Jamaican Jerk Kingfish Dinner, Priceless!

DSCF9131

o

Yo! Solman! Lay off the refresh button!

I don't know what you've been feeding it, but that button is burping big time!

o

Yum, looks like a great dinner. That plate does match the kitchen.

plllog - I think trading up is out and updating/remodeling is in. My sister is retiring and building a smaller house on a larger lot.

o

Yoooooh! What's with that refresh button? This thing is a live wire.

o

Plllog, Stef- How do you feel today? Any hangovers? Plllog I tried to warn you that you were drinking Champagne not Mineral Water.

That was a great Tile Fiesta. Wish I could have one of those Dolphins as my pet but my pond just isn't big enough. And how would we get him here?

Or wait, maybe it would be easier to bring the house to him. As in build a Mexican house on a private island near plllogs place. Then he can be always around the house, literally! And when I need Tamales, I just jump into the boat and come to shore for the drive to East L.A.

Stef- Did you... forget the photo of your Sopa de Tortillas?

o

I have no Sopa de Tortillas for you, solman, but I have a different pic for you. :o)

I pulled a good one today - cooked eggs and then stuck them outside to cool. I forgot they were there, then went and did my stuff. When I got home, I remembered them. lol There is about a half inch of ice on the top of the pot. When I move it, the bottom layer of eggs rotate around the top one, which is frozen into the layer of ice on top. ooopie hehehe

Not nearly as pretty a presentation as your Jamaican Jerk Kingfish Dinner!!

Frozen hard boiled egg, anyone?

o

The Sopa de Tortilla went quickly and nobody wanted to wait for a photo. But I did not forget and I will probably make more next week, so I'll plan a little extra time.

That's funny, Missy. We've been putting stuff outside to cool off all day just for fun. We got a little warmer than they thought, but most of the day was 34F/1C. Last night the news had all kinds of helpful info on how to avoid frostbite. They didn't cancel school, but they assured us that schools were planning to run the heat all night so the rooms would be warm in the morning and the kids would be allowed in early. The stores are running out of cold weather gear, as if they had much in stock in first place.

o

LOL!!! Missy, I love the eggs!!!

Solman, check with your government. Salinating the pond might poison the ground water or something, and you could get in big trouble. Besides the fact that dolphins live in family groups and want to be with their loved ones. Finding a maverick to come live in your yard is going to take so much interviewing you might as well just get a beach house in Frontera and watch them from shore.

Steff, that's scary! Frostbite? 34? Ugh!! I know you get colder than we do, but still... We were supposed to get some rain in a few days but it blew away. Looks like more drought. They keep talking "El Nio" but we've yet to see any real wet, and I think your "it's really La Nia" is probably closer to the truth. Not that I like rain, but I do like tap water...useful stuff, that.

Too much standing stress. I'm trying not to go to sleep. And highly recommend the crocs with the removable fleece liners. Very kind to the feet, and cuddly.

Solman, how are the choices going? Any progress with the Tile Setter? BTW, good point about fireclay sinks: When you tile in, it's forever. There's not replacing the sink without wrecking the tile. Fireclay can crack. It's rare, but it happens. Just a thought...

o
Go Ahead, Make My Day

Missy, The frozen eggs are great. I'm wondering how they taste. Thanks for the photo. We've now started a Foodafotorama! Stef, plllog, hint hint.

So, where's Solman been? Physically he was in America, well um Buffalo, NY, if you class that as America. Unfortunately for Buffalonians, but ABSOLUTELY true, it is the armpit of America. After every shopping trip in Buffalo we feel so fortunate to be Canadians. Yes I was at the Walmart getting a hot new cellphone. I can proudly say that I have the cheapest one in all of North America, $19.99 Nokia 1661, including SIM Card! It features a flashlight and FM Radio!

Actually I'm quite proud of the purchase. Just a SIM card alone in Canada is $35 highway robbery. Now the key is I have to call T-Mobile tomorrow and pretend that I'm a Buffalonian travelling to Canada and need to unlock the phone so that it works up there. When they give me the unlock code, then I'm set to put it on a Canadian carrier.

This should tide over until the next iPhone release in June or the iSlate in 3 weeks. I DARE anyone to steal this one :)

Can't get hold of the tile setter, will try again tomorrow.

o

Forget it, Solman! I'm not uploading pictures of bread and cheese on paper plates. You'll just have to wait until I have a kitchen. ;)

WHOA!! Sounds like that phone was worth the drive. Be careful about issuing blanked dares, however. Someone might just want to prove his machismo on you.

I'm awake. I promise.

o
Minus 18 and who knows how many inches of snow

Baywatch Central, hope you're faring better than this. Stef-Hope the frostbite talk in SA was just humor. Frostbite at 0 Degrees! We look at frostbite in the minus 20's and below.

Not much action today, no trips to fragrant Buffalo, NY. It literally smells like a toxic Sulphur soup when you're there. I NEVER open windows there and switch ventilation to recirculating.

But might go again tomorrow for Plugmolding. Still never seen in Canada. Plllog. where did you buy yours? Have you ever seen it at the Big Box stores?

By the way, when I was in the big TO the other day, dropped into IKEA and they had some dresser table in yes, White Milkpaint look. Beech i think with knots visible. So semi transparent look. Maybe IKEA got the idea from our discussions. Little copycats!

No one home at the Tile Setter. No surprise there, believe me.

o

I have a GC who has an electrician. I tell the GC and he tells the electrician, and this is the house that Jack built. But, yeah, I think they have the basic stuff at Home Depot. The fancier stuff can be had at an electrical supply store.

Tile setters went home for the weekend.

Nap time.

o
Speaking Of The Big TO Which Led To The Cooktop Funk

Something tweaked my interest because I've never quite gotten past the BLACK cooktop on the Yellow tile counter with a White Oven. IKEA has this really cute 3 Burner strip cooktop in yes Black but Gas. And UK has it in White. But, BIG But:

http://www.environmentalhealth.ca/summer01gas.html

Considerations

1. Health (article above seems credible with very valid points)

2. I believe, by building code, gas cooking Appliances require direct venting outside of the home. But to do that in this Kitchen reno, would mean running the duct pipe through the boxed in pipes in Kitchen ceiling AND drilling a minimum six inch diameter hole through the side of Elmsy's beloved Bricks! Oh and some flange thing showing outside to cover the hole on the bricks.

3. The Induction Electric means a smooth BLACK ceramic glass on yellow tile. Or better said, the Yellow tile would stop at the Black cooktop and to the left of it is the end of the counter so just the border of some Yellow and the Cobalt Blue trim tile show.

4. A skinny 3 burner IKEA Gas Cooktop allows lots of Yellow Talaveras surrounding the cooktop to show. Cooktop comes in Black or White in UK.

5. NEW Induction comes in White in Germany but pretty pricey.

6. Wall oven (built in) under the cooktop and Mural is White.

7. Induction by no means has any disadvantage to Gas. It is faster, more efficient 92% vs 42% for Gas, and can boil water in 1.5 minutes vs 7 minutes for Gas.

8. Induction is about $1,000, The 3 Burner Gas is $550. Money not an issue.

9. Is induction too slick and modern. Gas more Rustic and Mexican looking. If you believe the possible health hazards of Gas, these points are rather mute.

10. Will a big Black Glass on Yellow Talavera counter be ugly?

11. Sink is White Cast Iron.

12. If there is any truth to the article on Gas,no question Inducttion gets the nod.

13. Considering, I spent $0 for my last antique Gas Stove, I could splurge and get the latest German AEG "Transparent White" induction model at about $1,600 CDN, I guess.

All started by the cute silly little IKEA 3 burner Gas. But also led to a nice little research assignment.

Here is a link that might be useful: Silly Little IKEA 3 Burner

o

Plllog, we didn't realize that you actually have all the tiles to finish your back splash and counter?

I thought you had just samples to approve the next production. But sounds like you got all that is required which is GREAT! You mean we'll be seeing photos soon?

Please tell the tile setters to do a great job. That's my future kitchen they're touching!

o
Oh Oh. Just thought of Something

Remember when we were in school and we laughed at all the adults that wore really bad jeans. Well, I hope all the cool young Hotties won't laugh at me when I pull out my NEW $19.99 Nokia. :(

o
Prairie?

Whoops, I just thought of something. Prairie, are you OK? I just had this vision of your Eggs and the SA Frostbite warnings and hoped that you resembled neither.

I could imagine that a frozen egg is like a rock. Hope kids don't put 2 and 2 together on that one.

o
AEG German Translation

Transparent glass with White paint decor.

Bevelled edge

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG Transparent White Induction

o

Coming to you from downtown napville... I had a feeling I should check in, but oh does it feel good to be horizontal!!

Solman, the health article didn't work right, but there's probably a lot of hooey in it. Truth is you don't want to be breathing in natural gas any more than any other petrochemical fume. Some people are allergic to gas. If you have a slow igniter in a sealed room you might have an indoor environment issue. It's supposed to work so that all the gas is combusted. Gas doesn't have the toxicity issues that other combustible cooking fuels (wood, coal) have. It burns cleanly, though a carbon monoxide alarm can't hurt. Neither does a good hood. It's pretty darned safe, however.

You still need a vent with induction. Especially if you ever expect to cook more than rice.

I think you should get the AEG because you keep talking about it. You have all the money you didn't spent on new doors(again), redoing the corner cabinet, or anything like that. You like it. So get it already!!

o
AEG German Translation

Transparent glass with White paint decor.

Bevelled edge

Here is a link that might be useful: AEG Transparent White Induction

o
Take 2

Not sure if you did actually get into the article. I see the URL link in body above didn't work.

Funny I had Asthmatic breathing issues and was treated with Cat/Wool allergies 10 years ago. But possible the Natural Gas fumes (with NO fan or venting) could have been part of the problem. I axed the cat and the stove in the Reno last Fall so will never really know if it was one or the other or both. But thank god, I'm breathing like a Camel now.

I always wonder. Gas is 40% efficient. So the wasted 60% goes somewhere into your Kitchen. Of that some is sucked into your vent. The balance and the amount when you were standing over the stove cooking is ??

I'm surprised not more study and publicity has been done about this. But then again, no one bothered with Asbestos and Formeculite Insulation until 50 years later.
Another thing. Appears that most of Canada and America cooks with Gas. If patterns of cost are similar, N. Gas in North America is 1/2 the price of Europe. And the fact that it's inefficient, like Gasoline, people here don't care. Until gas prices explode like 2008, then we will care and suddenly start thinking conservation and energy efficiency. As people proved when Toyota could not meet demand for their Hybrid car in '08.

Fossil fuel prices are due to triple within 20 years.

Sounds complicated to compute but I wonder which is less expensive for us to buy now, N. Gas or Electricity.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Gas Article

o

Good deal on the phone. When I quit working, I converted an old phone to prepay. Not cool, but works for me.

I went out and found the article. It actually claimed that if you dry your clothes in a gas dryer toxins will stick to the clothes and that toxins from the gas burned for the cooktop will settle on your food. I quit paying attention about that point. I looked at couple other resources and it seems that some allergies can be aggravated by it. I really don't think the modern gas cooktops are much of a hazard. You do need to have good ventilation. My current vent doesn't go outside and it isn't required here, but the new one probably will. All that said, I would seriously consider induction. My new gas cooktop with sealed burners does not have the fine control of the old ones. If I really want to do a long simmer without boiling I need the slow cooker.

Honestly the news people were completely serious about the frostbite. Tonight is predicted mid teens, which is pretty cold. Had to wrap up the bananas, citrus, and cycads. Don't have any palms, but they would probably be toast. Went out shopping today and pretty much had the run of the place. Two more nights of this and then we warm up a bit.

o

Solman, I said hadn't read it, but there's a lot of hooey out there. Thanks, Steff, for pointing it out. Solman, I'm still iphoning it from napland. Too cozy to get up. I'm sorry you took an axe to your poor kitty. Poor, poor little moggy. I totally believe that the asthma was from the gas, so why put more in??

But it could be the sulphur they scent it with or the presence of combustion, though some people may also be allergic to hydrocarbons. There may also be impure gas out there that's different from the kind I'm familiar with that actually does have some kind of toxins. Stranger things have happened. But a liite carbon monoxide isn't going to do anything to you if it's particles on your clothes. It's when your breathe in enough for it to be bonding with your blood that you have a problem. A gas appliance burning correctly can let out minute amounts of CO. If it's screwed up you can get dangerous amounts of CO. Even without Steff's frostbite warnings here they're always warning the ignorant that they could kill themselves lighting up the hibachi indoors for heat. But you can burn kerosene indoors for heat. Mostly what you get from burning petros is CO2 and water. CO2 is a toxin too.

The efficiency percentage for cooktops isn't fuel burned but released energy transferred to cooking. Induction transfers a high amount of energy to the pot. A lot of that goes to cooking. Some goes to heating the cooktop. The rest goes to heating the room. All the gas inefficiency, past heating the grates and the pot, goes to heating the room.

In your equation you have to include the efficiency of the electricity you're using. If you have hydro you're doing a lot better than if you're burning coal.

BTW, I'm known as the canary in the coal mine. I get headaches in restaurants that haven't been reupholstered since they banned smoking, and wheeze in the hotel rooms where they paint a room instead of changing the wallboard and call it non smoking. I can smell and react to bleach at 50 paces. And I've never had a problem with natural gas, LP, or kerosene. I think it has to be a specific allergy to be a problem, and it's one, thank goodness, that I don't actually have. But since you might, will you please stop fussing and get the white AEG and a proper vent?

o

"but oh does it feel good to be horizontal!!"

That's so sweet. Steff we've got a little Canary and should've known it from the fine tunes she always sings (but not in the mornings, unfortunately). And this one's going right into her little iTunes music folder.

And notice our Yellow Canary is trying to get me to smash a hideous vent hole in those antique bricks and she knows it spooks me. That's why I wanna be just like you. Mr. recirculating Charcoal filter fan. I know, it's not like wearing the complete outfit, but it's better than the last 10 years of NO fan whatsoever. Actually it was gross. All the cupboards had this sticky residue on them and the ceilings (unfinished and unpainted drywall) had yellowed from the Gas cooking.

Funny story. On my last visit to Germany, I was in the Cookware Dep't of the big famous Dep't store Karstadt and listened to some sales Rep pushing his line (Fissler) and it's greatness with Induction. When he asked me what I cooked with, I told him, proudly, Gas and that I would never switch. That was 2007. Luckily I won't be ever seeing that guy again:)

I tend to be like that. Ultra loyal when I believe in something good-Apple.Elin Nordegren must like my words! .

For example, Manual Stick Shift car. I will NEVER buy an Automatic. I PROMISE. Good luck changing me on that one.

Plllog, any reason you don't like the Glass lids for cookware? It's not Pro looking, I admit, but has the great advantage of monitoring cooking without opening the lid and letting valuable heat/flavor out. I used to be adamant about Stainless lids, but like Gas cooking, I've laid off the heat.

I used to think that Glass can't insulate and contain, but all Canadian houses do have modern Thermal Glass which is a proven fantastic heat retainer.

Steff- Do you like Glass lids on Cookware? Missy? I'm sure Marthavila would have some good input on this too. I mean her Manhattan Apple Store is a Glass Mecca. Somehow there could be a correlation :)

By the way plllog, I'm really proud of you swooping down with your iPhone into your posts. June June, iPhone 4.0, then I might bite. But this iTablet is looking so HOT by the day that it may be satisfying enough that my $19.99 Dream Gem Nokia 1661 is a perfect partner. That tablet will be a Big SEXY iPhone. The OS is supposed to be out of this world.

o
North America's Best Kept Secret

Couldn't resist.

Like a young boy with his new X-Mas toy. It's exactly 24 hours later and the thrill still hasn't worn off!

Thanks T-Mobile.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Little Nokia Beauty

o
Our Little Cleo

Oh plllog, sorry forgot about the axe to the Kitty.

Yeah that didn't go down well in all directions. First it wasn't my Kitty. It was Ms. Wonderful's Cleopatra a.k.a Cleo. SHE was actually my Love Duvet. She would hop into bed with me every night, head sideways on the pillow beside me, and tucked into my chest for dear life (imagine the jealousy of the other feline next door). And fast asleep we both were in seconds.

And no it didn't go down well with the Godmother when I summoned the Cat off the premises for good. Trust me it was true love but C'est la vie.

o
This Just In

Sent the same gas vs induction vs looks message to Ms. Wonderful and this was her reply:

Sink is White Cast Iron

Induction comes in White in Germany but pretty pricey

Money not an issue.

You have the answers already :-))

Looks like the pressure is on. Must admit, it won't be easy. Tried buying the Induction first time around from Germany but wasn't nearly as receptive as UK.. My UK dealer has no information on it yet, too new. Germany gets everything first. What an advanced society. They have 35 IKEA Kitchen designs on the their site. UK has 13. The Germans are just so perfectly advanced and ahead in everything! Amazing.

o

LOL!! First Solman accuses me of being a bird, when he's the one who axed the cat. Then he accuses me of being an Apple shill! You notice I don't talk about talking on an iPhone? It's a pretty lousy phone. Great small mobile data platform. Not saying you need one. Only saying why it's inconvenient to go rootling around looking at your articles. This guy said it best a couple of years ago.

Re glass, I think it's more the reflective thing. Glass is an insulator. In fact, electrical insulators are traditionally made of glass, right? And they inventing corningwear making rocket noses. But are we looking for insulators or conductors? I thought it was conductors that made for good cooking.

I don't feel like the glass gets hot like an iron lid and heats back down again, dutch oven style. I've cooked with stainless, aluminum, and glass. Not so much copper, but that's tin on the inside and cooking with tin is similar to aluminum, and copper is a great conductor like aluminum. I definitely prefer cast iron, though the heavy style stainless isn't bad.

But Solman, I'm never pushing you to get what I have whether it's a 90° corner cabinet, entee sink, iPhone or Le Creuset. I posted the boredom festival of pots to encourage you to mix up the colors of whatever you buy, and to show you a green you could mix in that isn't that pukey yellow green. If you like your funky German hypoallergenic glass topped pots, get them! Plus, it doesn't sound like you're that fussy a cook that it'll really matter what kind of pots you have. If you like looking at the food in the pot, go for it. Though if it's really cooking, won't there be too much moisture on the inside of the lid to see much? And if there isn't, then the lids really are harming your cooking...

o
Ummm

Speaking about being so great and advanced, I hope the Germans don't come here and take all our Medals in Vancouver, next month.

o

Though if it's really cooking, won't there be too much moisture on the inside of the lid to see much? And if there isn't, then the lids really are harming your cooking...

Sharp cookie our Canary is. Another honeystick treat for you.

Wish you were beside me 2 years ago when I had this argument with my Ex who was a glass lid worshipper. And I said exactly what you did. In fact, I bought one glass lid pot, pre-reno, to try it out and sure enough, with water boiling and steam inside, you see absolutely nothing because the kid is all steamed up.

I agree, time to cover up the privates again.

o
Correction

correction the "lid" is all steamed up. So was Tiger ;)

o

Ms. Wonderful understands brevity.

And makes much sense.

Don't you have any German friends who can intercede? You really don't speak German? You seem to surf German web well. Can you find a store in Germany where someone speaks a language you know? My French wasn't good enough to buy my Gagg for less from France online, but perhaps they have your AEG in Spain?

Now about Mog Cleo, if I understand right, she was Ms. W's cat but she slept with you, not her (you're probably warmer--cats miss the warmth of Egypt), and then you threw her out without Ms. W's permission? Sometimes I get lost in your stories...

o

Yup you've got that story right- dead on!

Yeah. I wasn't too popular after that. Either with the Cleo or her Mother.

In case she's lurked our thread, I thank her for her forgiveness. Isn't that what love's all about? :)

o

Actually, thinking of it, does having a glass lid retain more heat than one that heats up? And therefore make it hotter in the pot rather than dispersing some more heat into the room? Or does the heat reflect down more once the iron lid is hot?

I don't know. I'm not really good at physics. I just like solid lids.

Again, this doesn't mean the funky German pots are bad! They might be very suitable for you. Just choose what you like best. Or start with one of each and try them out.

o

Oooh! Look who's playing on Pacific Coast Time!!!

o
Colors

You should have heard the German Pot Company's reaction when she asked me what color I wanted the set in?

My answer was all of them!

By the way Plllog. These were the choices:

"shiny black
red,
green
orange
blue
(yellow could be little complicated).

Please advise whuch coilours you are interested in."

Any preferences from above?

o
Oh Boy

Oooh! Look who's playing on Pacific Coast Time!!!

I better get to bed right now before my Mommy finds out what I've been doing.

o

Not the pukey green. Any of the others are fine. Yellow would be nice if it's not too complicated. Maybe there's one shape in the yellow available that you could round out with?

o

Can't you hide a flashlight under the covers?

::snicker::

o
Wait!

Or get a new Macbook with an illuminated keyboard :)

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part

I thought you were getting the tablet thing?

o
You're right!

Thank You. Correction - iSlate with the cool glowing App. icons

C'mon Mr. Jobs, I've been in line waiting for 2 years now!

Santa, hope you heard that. Actually X-Mas is a LONG ways away.

But Santa, don't you believe in early X-Mas presents, for good boys like me? Like Jan 25? :)

o

Good Morning Stef-Missy.

By the way, I haven't heard a peep from our Canary this morning. She's nice and soft and colorful and all but usually Canaries are at their peak song in the mornings.

We must have a new Global Warming breed that sings into the night but lays low in the mornings. Real low.

Stef-any frostbite on your toes? Sorry, couldn't resist :)

If any SA people mention the F word, just remind them that there are 4 NFL playoff games being played outdoors this weekend.

o

Hello, Solman. The last time I got frostbite I was in Canada, of course. The plants are doing okay and it is still below freezing. An entire generation of SA folks have never seen this kind of cold.

Speaking of birds, Arctic birds have been spotted here for the first time in years.

I can sympathize with the cat allergies as I am allergic too. Gas appliances never caused the same reaction for me.

Haven't cooked with glass lids or pans, so can't say how it works or doesn't. I adjust recipes based on the pan and then no peeking. Cast iron is what I prefer, I have a couple of stainless and Calphalon also. I don't plan to display them so matching the pan to the task is what works for me.

o

'Morning, Solman!
It's dark as a dungeon and damp as the dew,
Where danger is double and pleasures are few,
Where the rain never falls and the sun never shines
It's dark as a dungeon way down in the mine.

Us coalmine canaries don't know night from day, and we don't sing. We just wheeze when things get dicey then croak.

And it's not even 10:00 a.m.!

Steff, thanks for explaining the whole matching pot thing. It never occurred to me to think of what they looked like on display! And in my old kitchen I kept the Le Creuset on the stove/counter, because I didn't have anywhere to put them away. But that's just visible, not display And I thought they looked good with the hood and the poppy (they came first) but I never thought about displaying them, or any other pots. Other than the classic French pot rack with copper pots, which always seemed more decorative than functional to me anyway, I've just never considered it. So...lightbulb goes on! People display matched sets of pots. Interesting...

ACK!!!! I just realized that I didn't see a soup pot during the Le Creuset festival. They better not have discontinued it!!! It's the best pot ever!

soup

Glad the plants are okay.

o

Td4 that soup pot. I really should do an inventory and update on the pans soon.

This is probably the last post on this thread. See you in part IX.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here