Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part V1!

Posted by solman (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 11, 09 at 20:01

OMG Guys,

Yaaaaayy we're on Part V1!

My this is going to be a REAL NICE Mexican Kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to Part V of this thread.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
To Plllog

Happy Chanukah Greetings!

And when are you leaving for San Juan anyways? I want your Kitchen. That's after the tiles are up;)

The longer you wait, the more festivals you miss. See, one j u s t ended because... too much time spent packing.

o
A Little Spice For Our Lovely Plllog

Hi guys,

I'm writing to you live here from Aeropuerto Internacional de San Juan in Puerto Rico and look who's coming,

It's plllog! in a bright Red Poppy summer dress, floppy straw hat, rope sandals, and matching straw handbag.

And oh I see something, a rather handsome Puerto Ricano is handing her 2 tickets for, well what else, a festival! It stars possibly one of the Greatest Bands and Latino Songs of ALL TIME!!

And so on this special day of festivity it is only appropriate that we bring you the pride of Puerto Rico.

And with this flight Plllog you will surely forget all of your pains and troubles, guaranteed.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plllog's Night Out In San Juan

o
RE: Colorful Mexican Kitchens Part V1!

Did you notice that my last message posted before the message I was replying to? Spooky!

I think Missy wanted a recap. Please correct me if I've missed anything.

Decided

• Euro boxes, white inside, pine doors painted off-white with green on the edges and on the sides of the edge of the raised panel.

• Current stainless fridge in pantry. May change.

• White Ikea oven from England

• Induction cooktop (probably zoneless, probably from England, most likely black)

• 18" panelled or off-white dishwasher

• Probably cast iron, possibly tile-in, cobalt or white sink.

• Bronze pumpish faucet (Mico (hex), Marielle (curvy) or Portland (flared)

• Hood line that we can convince Solman to remove a couple of bricks for so it can vent properly. Plaster surround painted wall color.

• Yellow Talavera counter with cobalt v-cap, bullnose on the funky backend, yellow backsplash with Guadalajara details inside yellow borders, and fruit basket inset picture on white with cobalt frame

• Original house style, craftsmanish, windows and doors utilizing the great skills of Carpenter

• Grillework painted cabinet color in the doors in front of the radiator and in the cabinet behind (seen through window). Possible backbrushing with green or brown to pick out the holes.

• Bronze knobs (exact one(s), not yet decided)

• Terra cotta style floor already installed.

• Sunflower waterjug on plantstand, jug stand, or inset into wall

• Ceramic chili pepper ristas flanking the sink window due to the wimpihood of Canadian chili peppers.

Sol, you have a microwave?

Pageants yet to wrangle the glassy eyed judges back from their benders, and get them to leave off the bunny hop and jarabe tapatillo in order to announce the winners:

• Sink

• Faucet

• Knob

• Chair rail

• Decor for soffits

o
Gimmel!!

Wrong Festival! :-D And espadrilles give me blisters. Here's the right party!

o
News Flash Live From Cancun Mexico

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Welcome back to Hotel Fiesta Americana for the announcement of the winner of this very special moment, amongst so many special and attractive contestants. It is this that makes all the Judges work that much more difficult.

Well Judges, all feeling pretty good by now I'm sure, The Envelope Please...

The Third runner up.... Contestant #5 from Provence, New Horizon!

The Second runner up... Contestant # 9 from Tuscania, PF Mariella

And The WINNER and new 2009 Miss.Mexican Kitchen Facet is....

Price Pfister Portland !

Well everyone, what a happy moment as Portland walks the illustrious yellow kitchen runway, eyes teary and dripping upon the sink at such an emotional moment, knowing that she will soon feel the warm, gentle, touch and embrace of solman's fingers for so many years to come.

And a very special thanks to all the wonderful people that made this evening happen and our great sponsors for whom we rely on to always make this such a special event..

To everyone, good night from Cancun.

We love you. (kiss blown into air with pearly white smile)

o

OMG you just know plllog is really feeling good again, she's already left the hall and on her way to the next festival!

prairie- good point, you take her Bali ticket please, you and DH need to get traveling ASAP anyways, Alberta is no place to be now.

o
Brrrr

marthavila-careful with the wine, but keep that oven open, it's cold in the
Nord Este.

o

Congratulations to the winner of the faucet pageant! Portland!

Photobucket

A Fiesta is definitely in order. Tamales are in the fridge.
This year we went with the gourmet version, Chicken Tomatillo, from Central Market.

o
Mas Tamales!

Steff- Great Girly Smiley , love the candy cane sparkles.

Did you say Tamales? Aww please. Seriously my 2nd favorite Mexican food. Tell us more. You buy them at the market? As in fresh take out ready to eat?
Delicious.

Steff you know you're really teasing, not fair. I mean what do I do here, go to Subway and eat fresh lettuce on a bun for 5 bucks? I don't think so.

Hey did you notice one of the sponsors of the Faucet Pageant?

o
How On Earth Will We get The Backsplash Winner?

Is there any other possible variation that I missed?

o
Plllog Have You left?

For the next festival!

Oh it's definitely your night tonight.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Next Festival

o

o boy looks like i missed a bunch of partying and announcements and Chanukah and Hanukkah? (sorry I seem to need to do some research on Jewish special days - I knew one of them was today but wasn't aware the next started tomorrow.)

DR sounds heavenly. I think that a party and a half a day should keep ANYONE young. :O)

Bali sounds good, just for a break (send on the tickets mister mexican sunshine kitchen) Hubby and I could definately use a break. Balmy -7 today, high on Sunday is supposed to be -28 C (-18.4 F) again (for the HIGH) ugh

Haven't viewed all the youtube vids yet (next on my list) or taken the time to peruse carfully plllog's list (thanks very much BTW - I am a list person in case you haven't noticed yet. :O) )

The Pfister Portland is a great choice!! My congrats go out to the drippy lady! Glad she will feel the warm caresses for years to come!

Thanks for the clarification on the window colours plllog - I forgot (actually really only knew when you mentioned it) about the whole 'needed visual tension'. (I was definately feeling the tension - just thought maybe it was all the tamales)

Steff, my condolences to the poor bundled lady. It really is true that we do get acclimatized to where we are. I sure do 'leak' an awful lot more than the 'natives' when I visit a tropical climate.

plllog - N Calif sounds pretty good now too! (I think you're there? I seem to recall something about being the same latitude as solman - correct me if I'm wrong)

Solman - on the sink issue - I still think that an authentic old whitish enamel covered cast iron sink (think kijiji or craigslist) would be very 'authentic' in your kitchen. If it has a ding or two - it's even more authentic. :o) I think that a lot of people without a lot of dollars would think of the sink as being a practicality - the money would be spent in pretty tiles, faux painting etc. I'd almost give my eye teeth for one here in my kitchen - and since I am living vicariously through you on this process ...... wellllll (remember I am no designer, so just throwing my opinion of what I (as a potential buyer down the road) would REALLY REALLY LOVE out there in cyber wish land)

ok, now that I've yakked your ears off ...(sorry my puter was being checked for issues earlier - boy that took a long time - i think it may be time to retire the old girl *wah*)

If I've missed anyone - please accept my apologies - it bites to be forcibly withheld from posting for so long! Takes much too long to catch up again.

~Missy

o
phew

woooooooo that's gotta be the longest post in the history of something .... i am tired now .... anyone got a margarita to share?

o
News Flash

The latest news on Tiger.

Apparently in order to continue the marriage, Tiger's wife had made an ultimatum for him to quit playing golf.

So tonight he has announced just that, since Golf was eating into his free time anyways ;)

o
tiger the cheetah

o

Prairie- well done.

Please pour the Margarita and get to You Tube so you can see where plllog has been. The night's young still in San Juan.

Glad we don't have to destroy the Bali ticket because you've got to get out of that ice rink... fast.

o
Too much

Marthavila- I just saw scary pictures of the I 90 in Upstate New York, people in shelters, etc.

Stay wrapped in that duvet, please!

o

Tex- If Stef is having Tamales tonight, what are you having for dinner?

o

lol Solman, I think everyone has gone night night. You sure are a night owl. :o)

I'm off too - time to go nurse the margarita and dream some PR dreams (I mistyped DR in my last post eep).

Sleep tight!

o
How

Amazing Missy, HOW do you do it? I love them.

You are the uncontested:

Queen of The Smileys

And yes sleep tight and sweet dreams in San Juan. If you bump into plllog there, please send our wishes from the Arctic where we have no festivals.

o

Curled up in duvets here!! Checking in on the fiestas via iPhone. Great after hours band you got there, Solman!!! Viva Cuba!!!

It was coming down really well there for awhile. On the news the mud is flowing but no hillsides have subsided yet. There's more to come. I'm staying in bed. ;-)

The real tamales are in East L. A. As in patted and tied by la mam. But I have the tamales de machaca and tamales de calabasa from the grocery store deli counter. Different lattitude. Think I-10.

Congrats to the winning drip!!

Re Chanukah-- it's eight days long, starting tonight. There's no other holiday just now--merely a lot of banter about Puerto Rico and her average of two festivals per day.

o

Good morning, it's my day for a headache. The neighbor's pool pump is making a lot noise and she just left with some friends. Photobucket

My office is on that side of the house, so I'm going to use the laptop today.

The best tamales are homemade and we can buy them just about anywhere this time of year. Families make them and bring them out to parking lots and street corners. There are stores like Delicious Tamales that specialize. Central Market is similar to Whole Foods, so it has more options.

Photobucket

It's possible someone up there makes them or sells them frozen. You could have Tamaleria to celebrate your completed kitchen. forum smileys

o
Good Morning America

Steff, plllog-you poor souls I hope your headaches have started to go south. I remember reading that coffee is actually good for a headache, if that helps

steff- after your recent display, You are now right up there with the very best of the Smiley Queens.

Now this whole Tamale thing of SA and LA has really got me in a knot. I mean for you it's like buying a pack of M&M's. And that has got to change. Biz Plan?
"Tamale Tamale".

Prairie-Have you tried Tamales? They are really D.

plllog-you should see the dreams we had about YOU last night. Which reminds me, wouldn't party clothes be more important for a wardrobe in Puerto Rico than work clothes? And no silly Wool coats, gloves, scarves, boots, shovels and all the other props we unwillingly embrace.

Marthavila and Peanut- Can we get a Tamale report from your neck of the woods? I mean I see an oncoming crisis...

o

Hiya, I am so sorry that a couple of you are suffering from headaches - man that sure makes life miserable. It's not one of those pains that you can ignore ....

I had dreams of Italy last night .... thanks for that! I now have the bug again. lol

I don't know if I've ever had a tamale ... my town is pretty small and there isn't a Mexican kitchen for miles. Interesting tidbit - my first date with my hubby back in oooooo 1985? was to a Mexican restaurant. It was called Chi-Chi's and was a really cool place to go back then. They are no longer around, but I always have a fondness for anything Mexican. :o)

Love the smileys - they sure do add to the mood of posts!!

circuspeanut, I was snooping on the main site, and came across a picture of your stove. WOW! What kind of stove is it? Where did you get it? Can you give me the goods, puleeze? I looked on the FKB but couldn't see it. There seems to be a number of people that don't have 'after' pics posted.

If I don't make it back here today, have a good weekend all. We're off to Banff tonight for hubby's work Christmas 'do'. It's cold, snowy, and poor roads out there, but Banff at Christmas has to be one of the most beautiful places on earth.

Here is a link that might be useful: Christmas in Banff

o

It never rains in Southern California, but it pours. Man it pours.

Song was talking about something else entirely, but it's so true of the rain. Swampy desert.

Makes for some good waves, though... Photobucket

Steff, have the neighbors come home yet? Think maybe the pool pump didn't like the icicles?

Years (decades?) ago I was a member of a forum where they were discussing Christmas goodies and I piped up and said it wasn't Christmas without tamales. A local friend from that board then popped by with a whole plateful that she and her mother had made. We do have frozen tamales at the store, but they're not very good. Although, I think if you steamed them they might be better. Whole Foods tamales are too big, but not bad for not made by la mam.

Solman, what's with the wardrobe thing?

o

Bye, Missy! Have fun!

o

Things are much better here since DH went next door and turned off all the circuit breakers to the pool equipment. This was accomplished with approval of her ex (and co-owner) by cell from Tampa.

Missy, enjoy Banff, it's beautiful anytime of year. The Banff Springs Hotel is just stunning. Very cold there though. It's a tie with Mont Tremblant for the coldest I've ever been.

Correction from previous post - Tamalada is the party for making tamales, not Tamaleria. When we lived in New England, I found frozen Tamales at Trader Joes were quite good. A Tex-Mex restaurant from Austin opened a branch near Boston and imported all the ingredients and cooks from Texas so the food was great.

So are we planning any decisions today?

o

steff-that's great news for your head that the rumble of the motor is finally over. You already sound better. Good idea too having your DH showing "concern for them".

Actually funny you mentioned the Tamalada. This past Summer, when I actually had visions of finishing the Kitchen, I was going to make a serious Super Fiesta Patio Party with only authentic Mexican delights and Latin Music. Friends, family, you name it. We have a mini Colombian community here, based on a Rufugee Status placement program, and boy would that be a great place for meeting some new Colombiana invitees for the party.

Hey, could those invitees also become future sales prospects for the resale of "Little Elmsy" (nickname for the house), complete with Spanish Kitchen.

Missy- Have fun in Banff, the famous Canadian place where I've never been...yet. I'm just too much a Sun Worshipper I think. In fact, I was just researching Baranquilla, Colombia and Margarita Island, Venezuela just seconds ago.

So, the Gran Fiesta is still on for 2010, cross my fingers!

o
The Backsplash Vote

OK everyone,

Please let me know if you have some other flash of genius but here are the finalists to date. Let's pick. The only one not here was Plllog's super scattered design, but that one involved using the bottom row which I believe we were shying away from?

We also have to consider that the splash design we go with must be complementary to the Fruit Basket Mural on the cooking wall and not over power it.

DSCF9068_2

DSCF9065

DSCF9071_2

DSCF9072

DSCF9078

DSCF9076

DSCF9074_4

DSCF9087

DSCF9085

o

No, no, Sol! Not the bottom row! Mine was to cut yellows, and put a row of halves, three rows of checkerboard, and then a row of halves.

The sliding has started....

o

Hi everyone! I like #3 and #5 for the tiles

Been so busy and DH is now jealous of y'all so I can't hang out on the laptop when he's home. He's watching the Heisman Trophy awards now so I can sneak into our party.

Yes, tamales are as common as M&M's here. I had burgers for dinner (the only appliance that is available right now is the BBQ). However, I did have fried plantains and beans and crema in a tortilla thing for breakfast. Dinner last night was Enchiladas Rancheras. We eat Mexican about 4 times a week. Of of my kids' friend's mom has a gourmet tamale business that does quite well. You guys would love Central Market, it's a wonderful store. And of course, Whole Foods started in Austin.

Steff, what TexMex place is in Boston? Chuy's?

Tonight my boys and I sat in the middle of the empty dining room and played Dreidel on the floor, it was so fun (although I'm getting a bit old to sit on the floor). For y'all who aren't Jewish, a dreidel is a 4 sided top with a hebrew letter on each side. Each letter means something, like player takes all, player puts in a coin, etc. You play it with chocolate coins. It's very silly and a lot of fun, as anything with chocolate would be expected to be. As DH is Catholic and we celebrate Christmas, too, we had Christmas music playing in the background. Ah, to be so multicultural ;-)

Plllog, love the Youtube of the 8 Kandelas, very cute.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Play Dreidel

o
sliding

Oh dear, it's started already? Stay safe! Our thoughts are with you, Plllog.

Here is a link that might be useful: mudslides in LA

o

Oh, Tex, thanks for the well wishes, but like I said before, I'm holed up here and just fine. Of course, I have the sense not to try driving Angeles Crest on a day like today. Or to live in Los Flores Canyon, or any other such foolishness. But I do get concerned for the folks in the burn zones and those whose houses are heading downhill. It's supposed to keep on pouring tonight and move out tomorrow. Then we can go back to being warm. :)

Oh! They just said the heaviest rain is just moving in now. Ugh. I don't know if it'll make it to my place, however.

I love the image of the dreidle game with Christmas music!

So...what's your favorite condiment on your tamales? I have to admit to an unconventional one: For both tamales and burritos. D'Oni Bold As Love Honey Habaero Mustard. Wonderful stuff.

Speaking of which, I think it's time to go zap a tamale... (I know, I know...but I don't have a kitchen. And I'm not going out in the rain to flip the breakers and go in the kitchen (which isn't accessible from inside the house) just to put one tamale in the steam oven.)

o

Yum. That was good. Kind of multi-ethnic. The machaca was really just twice cooked, not dried and rehydrated (at least by taste), and it was made Salvadoran style even though machaca is more Calif/Aria/Chihuahua/Sonora.

o
True Story: I'm In Love With Amy's Tamales

Well I might as well spill the beans (pardon the pun). After all of you Mexican embracees started all this Tamalying around, I decided to go out and get hooked up with Amy.

Now it was just the first date, but things did admittedly get... hot.

If you all promise never to tell, I'll show you her private photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Amy's Photo

o
Yet it is not fair that we should forget Mrs. Maccabeus

...whom we owe a debt.

Oh, honey. Nothing against Amy. I'm one of her fans! But that's like calling a veggie patty a burger. There's nothing wrong with a good veggie patty, but it can never, ever, grow up to be a burger. Wrong DNA. So I hope you're loving your hot date, and feel nourished and satisfied, and we'll overlook her more obvious shortcomings (as in, next time look for one with the husk on).

BTW, the last candidate for the cannonball contest is too heavy and out of balance. The one that's two above it is too light and will blow away. The single straight lines aren't going anywhere and feel obvious and incomplete both.

The semi-finalists (baring late entries by the half tile princesses) seem to be the double barreled square brothers, the lace mantilla checkerboard lady, the froggy hopping stepping stones, and the I'm here get used to it walleyed joe. (Nos. 1, 3, 4, 8 from the top.) And only froggy (1) if you can get his ducks in a row and make it balance better.

BTW, if you like hot and gooey, try stirring in a few big spoonfuls of salsa picante into Amy's mac & soy cheese.

o
Feeling Satisfied Now

"So I hope you're loving your hot date, and feel nourished and satisfied, and we'll overlook her more obvious shortcomings (as in, next time look for one with the husk on)."

Straight into your little folder.

o

Yeaaayy Thanks Prairie I did it. I did HTML!

Plugmold. Plugmold. HTML. Plugmold.

o
Is This The Missing Link In Evolution?

I ask.

DSCF9088

o

Ooooh! I like the lace mantilla half tile princess!! Thank-you for allowing her to enter. But what about her walleyed cousin? Can you do a three row version of walleyed joe on the half tile?

(Pssstt... want a tilde? Huh? Huh? Lookee here seor... See this in my inside pocket? ampersandntildesemicolon He's a good friend to have in a pinch.)

Bravo! Bravisimo! Bravo!
Welcome to Hypertext Mark-Up!

o
Ay Yay Yay Senorita

No ay mas Guadalaharas para ti mi amor. Pero ay tantas botellas de Tequila por toda la noche. Vamonos!

DSCF9091

DSCF9095_2

DSCF9100

o
Best use for icky old mini blines

The sun is shining!! 'Course it blew so hard last night the front window blew in. At least the blinds kept the alarm from going off.

Thanks, Solman, for the tequila--very warming--and letting the walleyed princess in so we can see her in all her woozy imperfection. And that layout does put froggy back in the running, huh?

o

Todays post is "Fun with HTML"

See, I can do BOLD text and italics now too.

Its 66oF (19oC) and headed for a beautiful, sunny day. Really love the superscript, makes text look normal.

Tile Vote - I like both the 3rd one in the last post and Lace Mantilla from the previous post.

Texasjg The restaurant is Border Cafe in Harvard Square. I checked out their website and they arent really from Austin or Texas at all. They were definitely good enough for this very homesick Texan back when everyone else was filling flour tortilla enchiladas with Velveeta and topping it with tomato sauce. Dont know why I thought they were from Austin since its Mex-Cajun. I grew up in Houston, so Mex-Cajun seems normal.

Sounds like you're having a fun holiday, around here we say "Pure San Antonio" which means Menorahs with Mariachi music.

Missy, hope you enjoyed your party.

o

plllog - Just read your post and hope everything's okay with the front window. Took me a while to do the html post and forgot to refresh to see what's new.

o
Fun With HTML

Hi Stef,

Look I can do it too!

Plugmold. HTML. Plugmold.

Good weather news for you and plllog, who is probably getting ready for a window dressing party, or should I say window re-dressing party. We're not talking broken glass I hope.

Plllog, stef are your headaches better? Stef, did the neighbor keep the pool pump off?

Tex- hope the Hanukah celebrations are in good swing. By the way, since you are in Texas, can you improvise a little with the cocktails as in Margaritas? Have you taken time off work?

Missy- I heard from a good source. Minus 25 there today. Brrrrr.

o
gps

Just leaving for SEARS guys to collect some cash on my Black Dishwasher that I paid for and never picked up since....July.

I think we better change that to an 18 inch White dishwasher please.

Plllog. I didn't quite catch your disoriented shelllshocked oratory, but is it a Euro 24 inch induction cooktop that you got from UK?

o

Solman and Steff, looks like you're doing very well with your HTML lessons. Have to say, I usually can't be bothered with the degrees mark, m dashes and the like, though this thread has made me dig out the Spanish spellings. :) The real fun comes when you get into CSS.

The window seems fine, barring another big blow. One of the bolts is bent or something, but the other closes. It has a wood frame, and I think the wind just bent it enough for it to escape its moorings.

Yes. I did say somewhere uptopic. It's a nominally 24" Gaggenau, which I have paired with a 15" gas Wolf. Waiting on tile.

Steff, did you ever find out what happened to the neighbor's pool?

Is it warming up at all for everybody else? It's supposed to get back up to 70 here this week. I'll be much happier when it does.

o

The neighbor returned from her weekend with friends and has not restarted the pool equipment so that's a good thing.
It sounded like the pump needs to be replaced. Just hope they get it fixed and keep the pool in good shape.

I really needed to learn to improve my posts, thanks for pushing me into it.

o
Backsplash Semi Finals

Plllog-Ooooh! I like the lace mantilla half tile princess!!, Froggy Hoppy and his stepping stones , Walleyed-Joe,

Steff- Lace Mantilla and Walleyed Joe on the half tile

Tex -v#3 and #5

Prairie-

Marhavila-

All above judges are now asked to choose their real #1 choices. Ooooh it's hard to choose with so many ripe Apples in the tree.

o

Looks like someone is having too much fun with his brand new toy. smile

For me it's between Lace Mantilla on the Half Tile, and the double barreled square bros.

o
This Just In From Germany

Hi guys,

Just got back.

Plllog-glad to hear the window damage is minor which means it's back to LA for some more Tamales.

Steff-Your headache looks to be feeling much better. And how dare they even think of switching on without fixing it.

OK Plllog. you asked about a non Black induction cooktop which I thought in our wildest dreams. Well, I found something today which was not there even 2 weeks ago so must be really new from AEG. What do you guys think?

The finalists would be a 30 inch free zone AEG and an IKEA 28 inch Free Zone made by AEG.

IKEA AEG= 449 Pounds
AEG Transparentish = 700 Pounds (will confirm with phone calls tomorrow)

"Transparent glass paint with white decor" German translation.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Non-Black AEG

o

Well, it's cute, but kind of weird looking, and a lot more money... Have you checked De Deitrich?

o

Well, it's cute, but kind of weird looking, and a lot more money

Whooah, just checked online and it's 1,200 Euros!!

Will check DeDietrich but the AEG-28 inch free zone IKEA seems like a deal to beat at 450 pounds. If all of Europe cooks on 24 inch, surely 28 inch is hardly a compromise. While it's nice, I keep looking at the counter space to the right of the cooktop and wonder if a 30 inch (actually 30.7 = 31) is overkill for a one man show even if I do like to cook for La Senorita(s) on occasion-we hope ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: 28 inch AEG/Juno Same as IKEA

o

Never mind. They don't seem to make it any more.

I can't seem to find another picture of the new one, but saw a description. It sounds like a white version of the weird orange Thermador.

Sometimes the size difference is for the cutouts and the works are actually the same between different sizes.

Frankly, I don't think the black will be that bad. It's expected. The zoneless is so cool!! The size and price are right. If you get it from Ikea you have some good back-up in case anything goes wrong. Sounds good to me. :)

o

So no doubts on the Wall Oven? The off-White over the Green. Yeah that Green was amazing, since the moment I saw it. But just may be too much bling under the fruit basket. Stainless, too high tech for this Mexican show.

Good news the big German consumer reports WARENTEST just tested the 28 inchers. AEG was #1 and the IKEA about #3 in points which they were quick to mention as being a good bet for less $ than the winner. Now that's based on deciphering the German writing. The IKEA women at the shop in UK said AEG was actually written right on the unit. IKEA by AEG.

I like it!

o
Cookware

Plllog, have you picked up your new cookware for your induction? I'm thinking some really funky German enamel colored Silit. Saw it in Germany and it was amazing. Totally non-allergenic (plllog, your allergies remember) , naturally non stick, and beautiful.

Maybe some opinions:

Which color do you think would best fit this kitchen?

http://www.silit.de/lemon-green_1131/topf-set-4tlg-lemon-green_2787.html?sid="D298B5F1-2613-4132-93B1-A84C33031CC5>

other link below...

Steff-What are you doing for your cooking platform? Gas? Electric?

Tex-?

Prairie-?

Here is a link that might be useful: Passion Colors

o

My huh what? You mean my decade + old Le Creuset? I love my Le Creuset. There are a few pieces of Demeyere I'm lusting for, but I'm keeping my pots. And the finjan can go on the gas :)

The only words I know in German are vierzig, Apfelsaft and Lichtgeschwindigkeit (I looked up the spellings). I know more Welsh, though I can't spell that either. Not that lemon green! The yellow might be okay.

You're sure that this stuff is really good for induction? There are some pots that will work, but aren't all that great. And I'm not sure about those glass tops. You could do just as well with the funky stuff from el mercado. Lodge even makes some enamel pots nowadays.

The Pawson line doesn't have the shapes I need but it's so awesome!!

So. Now that you're HTML savvy, here's how to post a link:

link

And this is how to post an image:

img code

o

Good morning!

Wooohoooo Congrats on the HTML solman! :o) It's not as hard as people think, eh? I'm just too lazy to use it on a regular basis.

Our party was great fun. Banff was beautiful, but too cold brrrrrrr. It was odd because it was so empty. Usually there are throngs of tourists to deal with, but there were very few people around.

Glad you got the pool noise sorted out, steff, and that your window is ok plllog. That must have been very scary!

Tex, sorry your hubby is jealous. It's a hard place to be (been there, done that - hubby is now just resigned lol) Loved your info on Dreidel - sounds like a fun thing to do with kids. I'll have to file it in my 'things to do with future grandkids' file. :o)

My votes are

tiles

stove, oven, and cookware - I have no vote, sorry. I don't know anything about the high end appliances. Our stove is a regular, 30" range with a ceramic top. Pots I use are the stainless set we bought many years ago. I'd love to get some Le Creuset, but (for us) haven't ever really felt I could justify the cost.

It's brutal cold here this morning. Currently -33 C (-27.4 F) with a windchill of -42C (-42.6 F)
This isn't normal for us. We do get these cold spells, but they usually don't last too long.
Thank goodness both vehicles started this morning.

Here is a link that might be useful: conditions

o

Oh, dear Lord!!! Missy, that is not fit for human habitation!!! Y'all up there are very hardy.

Te trick to buying Le Creuset (at least within shot of the big city) is to look for loss leaders and sales, and when well meaning people look like they're going to give you drivel and clutter, wax ecstatic about how amazing a new Le Creuset braiser in flamme would be, and how much you want it, and how happy it would make you to have one, but that you could never ever buy it for yourself.

You know, Solman, I keep thinking about that green oven too. It would look so cool! It might compete a bit with the fruit basket -- but it'll also help to draw attention to that part of the room. Back to the "Colorful" part of the endeavor, I don't think I could resist it.

o

raspberry I went shopping. To the shopping center I saw go up when I was a kid. Ten years ago, it was still a nice, neighborhood shopping center, with some great little stores where all kinds of interesting things were. Then the Australians bought it. I like Australians. Just not these Australians. The store I most wanted to go to was gone. There was nothing to replace it. They have a rolex store. Like, who in the whole wide world needs a rolex store???????? raspberry Amazon, here I come.

Grump. Crab. Kvetch. Crank. This isn't fun.

I hope y'all are staying warm. They had heaters at the shopping center. They only made things smell bad, but it was a kind thought.

o

Busy day here, in the 60's and those must have been Canandian tourists I saw walking around in shorts and t-shirts.

Saw a contractor next door and hope he was looking at replacing pool equipment soon.

I like the idea of the green wall oven. Mixing up the colors is very authentic.

Tile vote is for walleyed joe with the half tiles. That is the one with the three rows wall corner to corner, except a yellow frame around mural. Looks so much better with electrical moved.

My cooktop is 30" ceramic, sealed burner gas from Kitchenaid. It's easy to clean and inexpensive to operate.

The bright color cookware looks like fun. My cookware is collected over time and matches the intended task more than the kitchen. I do have some Le Creuset in orange that I probably should find a way to display.

o

Disambiguation:

Walleyed Joe on the half tile is the third one at 2:43.

The Princess Lace Mantilla on the half tile is the one at 0:15.

I'm not sure which you meant, Steff, from the desciption.

o

The one I meant is the third pic at 2:43. I did have to scroll back and forth a few times to make sure it's the one I like best.

The comment about the yellow tiles around the mural was my add because I thought it would need to be set in a frame rather than have deco tiles run up to it.

o

Thanks, Steff :) I wasn't sure because of the word "diagonal". I totally agree about the frame. That ties it in with the counter.

o

Oh, now I see. "Corner to corner," not diagonal. I meant from wall to wall. In 3-D a corner made by two walls, but in 2-D it's a vertical line.

o
Oh Yes, I'm Just Dialing In!

Hi Guys,

Oh boy I missed some goodies while I was away.

Now I don't want you all to think I was a bad little boy playing hookey so here's what I was up to ladies:

Had to leave early for my snow tire appointment. Yes you see here in the Arctic, we have to change our rubbers every Winter.

After that I was off to Lowe's to dig into the sink dilemma, again. I took the Cobalt Blue tile and bad news not even close to Kohlers Cobalt. Yikes. Then the fellow was showing me Biscuit, like yours plllog. So, still unresolved. HELP! Tile in, standard single bowl, Biscuit?? What a downer. The sink is a nightmare. Man in sea reaches for rope.

OK after Lowe's exhaustion, I was off to Lee Valley and looked at all 1,500 knobs on display. Oh, one thing I did learn while there, I think Louis XIV style or whatever French King era, was the most hideous thing I ever saw in my life.

So yes, I am attaching the photo of the style I think you liked plllog. So, let's compare.

And what's this? The team is now ready for the GREEN REVOLUTION!

Wow, lucky we haven't pulled the trigger on Westminster Abbey yet. OK, let's get this baby onto Rendition # 30 or whatever we're at and see what happens. It might just make us all Green with envy ;)

Prairie- what on earth? Minus what?? Ontario is like a beach paradise at 2C today.

Steff-good laugh that was about Canadians in shorts. Personal story, I too also was shorts hungry years ago in my travels. Then, I woke up. Finally. You quickly notice that, especially men, no one ever wears shorts in ANY hot country in the world. Maybe for beaching etc. So when you the tourist do so, you really stick out like umm a knob. Luckily, God made Capris for men and so this has saved me for daywear in the Tropics. Of course if you like the Hi, I'm a Dumb Tourist label, then all of this is immaterial.

plllog- looks like you ran into X-Mas Blahsilia. I too get a strange feeling walking into these stifling things called malls. I think it's a negative energy thing and saps good ions out of you somehow. But I am not a good person to discuss this with. X-Mas is probably my least favorite time of the year, in Canada. But in Mexico City, I have had the best ones in my entire life. Read-no malls, no shopping, just street festival stuff and sightseeing and playing with children in the streets, and watching every one get all dolled up, as Mexicans like to do.

plllog-heaters in the shopping center when you have 60 degrees outside? Please.

Oh just remembered guys, while I didn't see the actual Pageant winner PF Portland, I saw other Price Pfister Pumps in Tuscan Bronze and the color was BEAUTIFUL!!! So rustic, yet so refined. The oil rubbed bronze, blah.

plllog-saw your lustful object of desire in the Demeyere cookware. Nice. Starting to figure out your personality. You like the clean, unpretentious lines with a pulse on, it's enough, no really enough. I'm sure I've seen some German WMF along that same design cue. For the last 15 years I lusted after the Fissler Profi Collection. Tough, bold, straight, German design and the best cookware I have ever seen in my life. It has the weight of a stone and like all European cookware, no bacteria collecting grommets on the insides.

http://www.fissler.de/de/produkte/toepfe/serien/original_pro_collection/ueberblick.html

Apparently, nickel allergies are really high in the general population,

Fissler Cookware

o
A Real Mexican Treat For Us All.

For those who say a Mexican Kitchen can't be White!

Wow

o

Ooops! I read "corner to corner" so strongly as diagonal I spit it back at you!! That's a hoot! I don't study this stuff any more, but I wonder what process goes into making that happen?

So, yellow top and bottom, yellow around fruit basket, but otherwise all Guadalajara, right? Not sure Solman has enough Guadalajara to do that...maybe he needs to get some more?

I hope Missy and Solman aren't snowed under.

=====The kitchens forum has gone kapflooie and this won't post. I'm going to keep trying though...======

Yes, Solman, heaters in the shopping center. It's outdoors!! And it was cold! Though I think they were left over from the old (pre-remodel) outdoor eating area. I swear they smelled like greasy fast food. It's not a mall, per se. Certainly nothing like the Edmonton mall (only Canadian one I've been to, I think). There was very little christmasy going on. It's really not that kind of neighborhood. Lots of foreign young men trying to sell beauty products to people who didn't want to be bugged and flirting with pretty young women who don't have the sense not to go out with foreign guys whose jobs aren't even inside the stores.

I think we're long past rendition #30.... :)

ROTFL about the shorts. See, real people only wear shorts during playtime. Like at the beach. Or playing sports. And, especially in hot climates, long pants provide more protection.

Re Tuscan Bronze: You see, huh? Would I steer you wrong?

Re nickel allergies--interesting. I didn't know that.

Re Fissler, they remind me of your future king, but should look fine in your kitchen. And the solid steel should be just fine on induction. I agree, btw, what's with those rivets in the All-Clad, and why do people buy them???? No such things on Demeyere either. Since you've been lusting for these as long as you've owned the tiles, I say it's time to start building your collection. You can do just about anything with an 8" or 10" skillet, and a two quart litre saucepan, and supplement as you go on.

Re my style, it's a combination of sleek, simple good design and total baroque. With a few shots of kitsch just for the fun of it. Example: I designed my dining room with aubergine ultrasuede chairs. Very simple. But the actual aubergine fabric was the wrong shade, and I ended up with tropical birds and fronds over lattice brocade.

o
White

Solman, that's beige. And, BTW, for the fourth time, MY SINK IS WHITE!!!!! Plain old white. Not biscuit. I posted a picture of a yellow one because I couldn't find a picture of a white one, but I said it was white. Really!

o

Hey plllog, I like your White Sink;)

Maybe we're going there too?

o
The Knob Showdown

DSCF9102

Unknown-1

o

I think white is probably better than biscuit. White is basic. Like your black glass cooktop. Basic goes with rustic. You can take one of your Guadalajara tiles to the store to see how it looks with the sinks.

You know...Cooktek and Pyrolave both have induction that works through stone. They have limitations on the heat, I assume because of the limitations of the stone, which might not take kindly to thermal shock. But, especially with zoneless, I can see a day coming when there will be a frame with the controls in it, and your own color choice of ceramic-glass, or maybe even stone tiles, to go inside of it.

So I take it that the not the same cobalt sink looks really bad with the v-cap? Because they don't have to be the same color if they don't look bad with a little yellow between. You're the only one who should judge that.

BTW, I was so busy blowing raspberries at the Australians that I forgot to mention, it's been a really good hair day. :-D Even if it's ending on violent sneezes :) Too much walking around poorly heated outdoor shopping centers, I guess.

o

oh no plllog oh no, the cookware is another nightmare story and it goes like this...

Aspiring entrepreneur, solman, wanted to be the North American distributor for Fissler Germany when they had no presence. Went to Germany on Buying trips and scanned the entire industry. Bought another German brand 18/10 for personal use samples, but always dreamt of the Fissler's for 15 years.

In all honesty, the best DESIGN was always Italian brands, all names which fail me right now. Quality world class.

The German Big 2, Fissler-WMF are well, German. Clean, simple, rugged, well priced. Household names in Germany from generations.

Fissler had the patent and invented the sandwich bottom, almost 75 years ago.

Korean Tourists flock to Germany to buy The Fissler Profi Collection which is priced like Rolex in Korea.

Years ago, I did an allergy test and the result was highly allergic to Cats, Dogs, Nickel. Silit (part of WMF) capitalized on this worldwide fact (many girls are told too only wear high Gold content earrings for same reason) and invented Silagranit-enamel coating.

So, while the Fissler Profi is a dream of my past, is it the reality of today? Also, my thinking outside of health issue was would a nice colored palette of Le Crueset Cast or Silit Passion Colors be visually more stimulating for this dynamic new environment of La Cocina Mexicana?

P.S The ugly trend in Germany right now is Black cookware which is Red Hot in sales. Too bad.

And that's the end of my pot smoking;)

What do you think now?

o

Re the new knob, it's more rustic than the other one, without being as trying hard to look rustic as the earlier ones we've been looking at. More of a copper look, than bronze, but that's okay. It's very warm. Simple. Classic. Timeless. Appropriate to the look of the kitchen. Should look very nice!

o
A Second Opinion Please Doctor(s)

After looking at the new knob in comparison to yours, I have reservations.

The middle is rubbed out and I hope it doesn't have that "girl at the nightclub trying too hard with the short skirt" look.

Let's compare him to the 2009 Pageant winner Miss. Portland ummm. Mr. Portland I mean.

L12056121

DSCF9102

Unknown-1

o

Good morning. :o)

I had a good chuckle over the 'shorts in hot climate = tourist' stories. lol Steff, I'm pretty sure they must have been Canucks. but really - if you're hot, you're hot. There is a point where it just doesn't matter. I think that some of us stick out as tourists even if we dress to blend. The cameras and water bottles, and ooohing and ahhhhing maybe give it away?

plllog - gotta love good hair days, whenever we are blessed with them.

I think we lost peanut somewhere along the way, and Tex is sorely missed as well.

Good news for us - we're on the temp mend. Tomorrow we're supposed to be above the freezing mark (yay) Still in the -20's but looking forward to balmier (shorts wearing) days. woooooo

boyo boyo boy - they have sure hacked down the main kitchens page .... kinda eerie in there

o
missing peeps

We're missing a bunch of others 'round here too, marthavila and angela come to mind ... without the old threads I'm feeling kinda lost here.... I know there were more participants, but they seem to be axing threads right, left, and center!

o

Hi there prairie-girl - Smiley

I just remember flying from Spokane to Calgary in January with a group returning from Mexico and they were all wearing shorts and sombreros.

They say they're working on the problem
Smiley Face

I think Tex had to get some work done at the ranch for a while. Cowboy Smiley

solman - Those photos of Puebla are beautiful. It's driving distance from here, but not under current conditions. So close, yet so far.....

The tiles are a softer, not stark white

o

Last night's reply eated by the downed server:

Don't smoke your pots. They'll crack, and then where will you be?

Oh! You're allergic to nickel. Does it come off of the stainless the way iron does from cast iron?

You know, there's a perfectly good English language site you could have linked for us non-Teutophones. The antibacterial claims are a lot of hoohah. Like, um, COOKING is anti-bacterial. That's the whole point. And, um, WASHING THE DISHES. Quelle horreur! I mean, I know the Europeans are really into saving water, but not washing their pots and relying on metal ions to kill bacteria is just barmy!! But they do say that the interior won't scratch, which is an advantage, especially if you're into whisking in the pan, or stirring with a fork.

I'm still not convinced by the glass lid, but if you like 'em, you like 'em. I still think the yellow might look the best (if it's not just awful), but you could also combine the yellow, orange and red. They'll take away from the fruit basket, though, so I hope you have somewhere to store them away.

Don't pooh-pooh black. Cast iron would look fine.

For enamel, everyone, including Lodge, are putting it out nowadays, many for a lot less than Le Creuset. I think a combination of reports about the toxicity of that awful non-stick stuff, and the rise of induction has increased the demand. Or maybe it's the rise of things like All-Clad over Farberware, and people thinking if they have to be slinging around all that ferrous weight it might as well be pretty. Mario Batalli has a line in some nice, masculine colors that are a little less primary, and therefore might support, rather than conflict with, the tile. There are a bunch of others as well.

o

Yeah, I miss our compadres (comadres?) too! I think between banishment and real life, and now that not so many decisions are left to narrow down, and maybe even now that Solman isn't cross posting as rapid-fire-ly as he was, we've quieted down. I'm online anyway, because I have no house due to the stalled remodel. The only place to sit downstairs is my computer chair. I've been getting work done too [Big Grin] but it's sitting right here...

o
I Like It!

Good Morning and Cheerio- as our little Londoners would be saying at the IKEA shop in Wembley.

Well may I say that the Dynamic Smiley Duo Steff and Missy really put a smile on my face with the Cameraflashing and Amazing Dipping donkey with wagging tail. I loved it.

We're missing a bunch of others 'round here too, marthavila and angela come to mind ... without the old threads I'm feeling kinda lost here.... I know there were more participants, but they seem to be axing threads right, left, and center!

Yeah, I miss our compadres (comadres?) too! I think between banishment and real life

Funny I was thinking the same last night. Aw Peanut, Marthavilla, hope you're listening because WE MISS YOU!

As for banishment I've really never given it second thought as in why would we let some "Judge" ruin our party. Which is a joke in itself. I mean when I went to the index last night and saw things like boiling potatoes and swine flu innoculations threads and thought, we, the Mexican Kitchen Federation in the midst of our cocina lindisimo creation and, without question, are a Kitchen thread, should we really be amongst boiling potatoes and Swine Flu innoclations?

Oh well, not to worry, I say it's business as usual and for those who do lurk, there is no doubt a wealth of knowledge and priceless wisdom and entertainment that our wonderfully joyous gang magically provides.

By the way, something wrong with the site not my HTML:)

o

Hey Guys,

Yes I lost 2 posts last night as well, looks like the server crashed or something.

So, you know what that means?

Missy-Yeaaaaaaa you're above Zero!!

Tex- can we know what you're up to exactly, I mean we're ready to go.

Plllog- I like your White sink ;) and by the way, can I have your Kitchen?

(if man does not get favorable reply from woman on first try... he will try again).

o

Um...yeah, Solman, sorry, but there is a problem with your HTML. You left the slash off your closing italic tag after "real life" so the italics just kept on flowing.

I'm off for a computer free day of doing mounds and mounds of laundry while the sun shines.

o

Okay. You can have my kitchen. But it's mostly installed. So first you have to get a visa and U.S. residency card, then you need to put together the USD to compete with the market around here including a hefty moving bonus for she who planned never to move, and then you need to follow up with the tile maker and get the whole thing finished. But you can have it. You even sprechen the language of the appliances.

o
Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?

Just reach out and touch me
C'mon sugar let me know...

4148835905_2a4acc0fdc_o

Here is a link that might be useful: C'mon Sugar Let Me Know

o
Sugar. If You Really Need Me...

Let Me Know.

Mural Rendition 35

DSCF5227

Mural Rendition 29

o

The white oven looks good there, a bit incognito letting the mural shine. If you go with a white sink, the two would work together well.

o

i LOVE the green :o) (but I'm a green freak)

Here is a link that might be useful: a portion of my green house (scuse the mess)

o

Stef-Hmmm. Back to White Huh?

Good point about the sink match too. Hey did you know plllog has a white sink too?

plugmold, HTML, plugmold...

By the way, asked a guy in Electrical at Home Depot yesterday where they keep the plugmold, and his reply was mould?

Hey Stef- Man I've got a bad craving for some Tamales.

Travelocity- Buffalo-San Antonio Departing-About an hour from now!

You lucky Ducks or should I say Tamales.

Plllog- no fabric softener please, it balls up the sheets and has really fake intoxicating scents. Just the man's view.

o
Green Power.

Prairie-Nice, cosy living room and quite the accent on Green. I like the lit walls too.

The Shepherd looks friendly, just waiting for you to look at him so to speak.
I love The Germans... Shepherds that is. Oh Missy, I think you caught THAT, for sure.

Whoops, long story guys. Really.

o
Idea

Find Kohler Showroom.

Then man can take tile and put against Cobalt.

I mean, otherwise, it's Special order sink, receive sink, face disappointment, and return sink and maybe pay for shipping.

Bad cycle.

o
Winter Rubber

Missy- I hope you have Winter Rubbers on your wheels?

Sunshine Crew, you probably haven't even heard of Winter Rubber :(

o

Hah!! Fooled you! Haven't even left for the laundrypalooza yet! (Fabric softener (unscented) for the drip dry clothes or they're stiff and scratchy. Never for towels. Sheets get starched and ironed. LOVE starched sheets!!!!)

Solman, back to the drawing board for you, seor! In order to fairly judge the oven color you need to put things is scale proportion, and add the green rectangles (very hair's width) to the doors. It's not whether the colors will go, but how they'll look in the amounts given. The sink doesn't really matter, but the cooktop does, so you should represent that too.

MUST do laundry so can't do one for you. Hop to!

o

Mural Rendition 36

For some silly reason, the Grey version of the IKEA Oven has True Convection, while the White has just convection. May explain the 80 Quid price difference.

Must say that the goofy, old fashioned manual Timer Circle in the middle is actually cool in this Ultra Digital Age.

The Grey is also the color of the present fridge, which I'll put on Kijiji today to see what happens.

o

Well then, I'll wait for more detail to see. The green would look better if it relates to other details.

Of course I know about winter tires! I've lived in some very cold places. Problem back then was you put the winter tires on, then they clear the roads or you don't get a lot of snow and you have to drive around on bumpy tires.

San Antonio Weather Report: Chile today, hot tamale!

o
Just Because I'm Getting Your Kitchen...

plllog-do you have to be so hard on me? I mean I feel like a Mexican Burro. And Steff's got my Tamales all over SA, literally!

Well, I'll just get my crayons out and start playing. Hey, that Green looks awfully powerful though. Might steal the SHOW in Cinema #1.

Steff-Be honest, do you miss the winter rubbers? I love rhetorical questions:)
Actually Winter Rubber has come a long way in technology. There are Z Rated Winters that are high performance with virtually no difference from the all season cousins. Think Benz-BMW-Audi use them. I'm in LOVE with my Winters. It is such a stable, secure, cushioned ride. Bridgestone Blizzaks. I even like the name.

In Germany Winter Rubbers are Law. Ontario and Quebec next year.

o

I mean did you see Steff's rolling in laughter on the floor smiley?

Priceless! Well done Stef.

San Antonio Weather Report: Chile today, hot tamale!

Cute.

o
Where Do We Draw The Line?

Mural Rendition 37

Mural Rendition 38

o

I guess plllog is still at the lavanderia. Not a fun trip for sure.

Now I have to change my mind, again. Forgot about the green trim and with that the green oven looks good.

What can I say? Rofl Smiley was a natural for such an old, very silly joke.

o

Hey Stef-funny I was thinking the same thing. Is our little Senorita on her hands and knees scrubbing those clothes at the Lavanderia? I hope she knows they have the modern washing machines too, inside the building ;)

Oh and let's hope while she's there, it's another good hair day.

o
Where Is SHE?

Steff- You don't think... Plllog slipped out the back door of the Lavanderia and she's actually in LA hunting her prized hand tied Tamales and getting ready for her own Tamalera. If she is, can you buzz and remind her that we need some Salsa Valentina because we're coming over, whether her/my kitchen is done or not. I love it, the pride of Mexico. Ummmmm.

Missy, you can find it at Food Basics. One day the Carpenter put some on his pizza and couldn't believe it. The next day he phoned me to ask where he could buy some.

o

Solman, I thought I was waiting on your ideas for my beach kitchen ?

o

No hay una lavandera--es la casa de mis paps. Estoy aqu tambin para cenar. Es muy agradable.

The napkins for the big holiday do are folded and the fourth load is in the washer, so I popped in via iPhone to check Sr. Solman's homework. Good work on the green rectangles. Now for scale. I'm sure the tile mural isn't that much bigger than the oven... Dulces for those who finish their assignments!

o

Mi Professora esta muy difficil pero muy buena! Ella siempre piensas en dulces pero yo en otras cosas que no lo puedo decir.

o

Angela, sometimes you have to yell to be heard around here ...

plllog - I'm sorry you have to go to the laundromat!!! yucky

steff - loved the corny joke

solman, i don't think we have 'food basics' out here .... i'll have to look at the local stores now that i know what to look for.

o

Hola mi compadre and mis compadres. Estoy aqui.
Pero, he sido callado porque mi vida personal ha estado muy ocupada! (More on that in a minute)

Gee, Solman, as I'm looking at that green oven, I think I'm voting for the green oven. Why? Well, first of all, this thread has jumped out from the pack for the precise purpose of discussing the design and construction of Colorful Mexican Kitchens, has it not? As such, I'm more in favor of embracing color rather than retreating from it. Especially when it comes to choice of a major appliance (Of course, you must keep in mind who you're talking to -- La Mujer en Roja, LOL!) Further, we've already established that you are building this kitchen for you and for no one else. For now and not for the point of a future resale. As such, I'm must say go for what your heart is telling you. And, since you've never stopped talking about this green oven since the day one, I get that you like it. IOW, you really like it. . So, if that's the case, then it seems to me that the next major issue for resolution is not whether Solman has a green oven in his Mexican kitchen but whether that green oven has the potential to overpower his #1 focal point -- the fruit basket. Well, from what I can tell from your photoshop display, it will not. Rather, to the contrary, it looks to me like it will only expand/enlarge the focal point in a very beautiful, dramatic way. Therefore, at this point, I say go for it! Especially with the green accent on the cabs, and in the tiles, that green oven will tie together that aspect of your color scheme in a rather meaningful, smart and Mexican festive kind of way.

I also very much like the knobs you have chosen. I think that hardware will dance nicely with Senor Portland (even though, as you know, I would have chosen a different dancing partner.) :-) :-( I also agree with you that you want to think about cutting your losses (of jangled nerves, wallet, time) on the sink. And, that's especially so if you do decide to go with the green oven.

Lastly, I'm still undecided on the backsplash pattern although, in the abstract, I keep leaning towards the double row of Guadalaharas. What would help most would be if you could photoshop the various patterns as they would line up adjacent to the fruit basket mural, the two oven choices, the cabs, etc. (I know: back to the PC dungeon for lots of hard work!) In the absence of such a comp, though, I do think the lace mantilla looks great.

Now, just a moment for my violin song. The fact is, for the past several days, I've been totally caught up in trying to be a real support to my dear sister who is now recovering,in the hospital, following major surgery. After many years of struggling with debilitating arthritis, my sister opted for bilateral knee surgery. However, she developed a wicked complication post-surgery -- MRSA (a potentially deadly and incurable virile infection). Since then, she's had 4 additional knee surgeries to try to cut out the virus! With no luck. Finally, she changed physicians and hospitals and, for the past several days, I've been totally involved with supporting her through knee surgery #5. (The actual surgery was yesterday). So far so good. At this point, her case has been transferred to one of the finest hospitals in the land for orthopedic surgery and her new doctor has a great rep in the field of knee replacements. But I do ask for your positive thoughts and vibes! It has been a very, long tough road back to good health for mi hermana, indeed.

Gracias y buenas noches!

o
Psssst... Profesora- Tengo Un Regalo Para Ti?

Mural Rendition 40

Mural Rendition 39

o

Yeaaaaaaa Angela and Marthavila's back. It's about time for Pete's sake, and plllog's and Prairie's and steff's and Tex's and Peanut's? where is Peanut?? (hope the cat hasn't thrown her out of the house, it looked to be quite in control) Lucky we've been holding down the fort for you guys.

Angela, you caught me by surprise. Beach House design? Did I miss a post?

But hey, no better guy to ask about that, believe me. When can I start?

o

Oh marthavila, that's not been a good thing to go through at all. I learned a lot about MRSA when we had an outbreak in a building I worked in. Thank goodness she was able to switch doctors and hospitals and things are going a lot better.

Plllog went to her parents house to do the laundry and stayed for dinner again, which she enjoyed. (or something close to that)

solman - more homework for you. Now we need to see the additional tiles in the backsplash to get the full effect with the two options (1) walleyed joe and (2) Mantilla.

o
Deseos de Mujer en Roja

Of course, you must keep in mind who you're talking to -- La Mujer en Roja, LOL!

Marthavila now was that ever a chili energized come back. See, no wonder we missed your Salsa Picante.

But more importantly, so sorry for your poor Sister and your worries too. I could feel the pain just reading about her sorrows. But what is nice about all this is that she has your care and sympathy and that is often what matters most in times of health crisis. And it is our wish that her new surgeon will finally give her the competent care that she deserves.

Good night and good dreams because no doubt you really need it.

o

:::snickering and pointing:::Solman's TKO!!!:::pointing and snickering:::

You know, Solman. Angela's beachhouse. I'm sure you at least peeked at her plan when she first joined the party. Yup. TKO you are.

Missy, how's the weather today on the Western plain? It wasn't a laundromat--it was my folks' house for massive laundry, lunch and dinner. My brother stopped in too. Family party. Very nice (except the two loads of wet laundry I brought home and still have to carry upstairs and hang...)

Marthavila, I'm so sorry about your sister's complications, and glad to know that the very best isn't reserved for aging French rock stars (like in L.A.). Much healing energy to her for her struggles and to you, so that you'll be renewed and able to continue to support her so well.

The scale of these is much better. I too love the little clock thing. Now, you know I love the green one, but I think the 24" oven still looks out of balance with the 36" mural, now that it's drawn pretty much to scale. I was hoping the green would look better, but I think the white one is a lot better on the whole, even though the green is a lot more exciting individually.

I'm totally with Marthavila in the if you just want to go for it and have color camp. Just be really sure you're going to be happy with the appearance when it's all done. (BTW, you can do a litle green around the oven too...)

o

Aha!! Apply the dulces and the lightbulb goes on! I know what's wrong with that true convection oven!! The regular one on the American Ikea site is slightly less than 24" wide, with 87.78 litres of capacity and some kind of convection. The "gray" English one is only 52 litres. That fan takes up a lot of space. True convection is a good thing, but if you get it you really should get a bigger oven. And people lived without it forever. You can always turn the food...

o
Oh Oh, A Little Scoldie From My LA PR Office.

"You know, Solman. Angela's beachhouse. I'm sure you at least peeked at her plan when she first joined the party. Yup. TKO you are."

Whoops, sorry Angela, yes now I remember the drawings with the dramatic gables of the amazing new Beachouse - post abandoned Builder Bankruptcy. Will dip into shortly. That place has color extravaganza written all over it.

o
And Suddenly The Pendulum Swings Back

I was hoping the green would look better, but I think the white one is a lot better on the whole, even though the green is a lot more exciting individually.
(BTW, you can do a little green around the oven too...)

This oven has really put us under the heat, so to speak;)

Oooooh I like the Green around the oven idea, since there is a good say 12 inches of blank filler, 6 on either side of the 24 inch oven. Cooktop cabinet is a 36 incher. Also, I think there is a few inches below of filler as well. Green stencil design?

Also, the Green oven is UK IKEA'S bottom of the line with no convection at all. The White one and my Canadian Black one are at least convection just not full convection. And that corny retro mechanical circle timer is interesting for some visual draw and goes with aging the house/Kitchen.

o
Judges Split On Decision From Coast To Coast

The envelope please...

0094557_PE232419_S4.JPG

0084991_PE221698_S4.JPG

o

Great new day to all and thanks for the kind words re my sister. All good vibes help! BTW, I'm ROTFL over my description of MRSA as a "virile," instead of viral, infection! (See what association with you guys does to my brain?)

As for the collective business at hand: What is meant by "green around the oven"? (I'm not feeling a stencil design.) And, have you chosen the cooktop yet? Is it black or "non-black?"

o

Hi all, just peeking in today - got a thousand things on the go.
Just wanted to say I still like the green oven. :o)

marthavila - that's very scary about your sister. You both (and your families) are in my thoughts and prayers.

o

MV, Solman loves his stencils, but I was thinking more fine line rectangles to make the cabinet fit with the surrounding ones.

I just did a couple minutes' self education. Bosch and KitchenAid Architect both make single convection ovens that are less than double the price of the Ikea one, and 28"-30" wide, with capacities of 4.3-4.7 cubic feet (compared to the larger Ikea oven at 3.1 cubic feet). The white and green Ikea ovens are only 1.84 cubic feet.

Practicality Police Report: Having the larger oven cabinet is good, because it makes it easy to change the oven if necessary. Solman chose the Ikea oven as suiting his needs. A larger oven would look more balanced with the mural, but is still narrower, and means heating a larger cavity for someone who currently lives alone in a cold climate (i.e., energy hog), besides being significantly more money to start with. The Ikea ovens are much cuter than the others.

Conclusion: The black Ikea oven is the cutest design and largest capacity for the type. The white Ikea oven has to come from England, is the cutest design, and the smaller capacity, but has lots of fancy features. The green Ikea oven has to come from England, has the smaller capacity, and doesn't have as many features.

On looks? I'd choose the white with the cool clock. On capacity and convenience, I'd choose the black, local one with the cute clock. For Viva Mexico, I'd choose the green one and red pots to go with the white cabinets. If it were for me, I'd get a bigger, uglier oven, because I need a bigger oven and because the small oven with the big cooktop and biger mural and cabinet would bug me.

The Ikea oven, besides being a lot less expensive, is a lot cuter.

o
Pssst.. Guess who's visiting Plllog right now?

I'm serious I saw THEM! ... The Practicality Police.

They had heard that, at the crack of dawn, some lone Cowboy with his shiny Black horse had been riding through town with intentions of heating things up.

They said that things better be set straight and that they're not gonna let some hot blooded, young Cowboy have his way and burn up the whole town.

So...

o

Good Morning everyone,

Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb through my head

And, ooooo I read the news today oh boy "someone" visited Plllog!

Yes looks like the Oven has put some heat on us, sorry couldn't resist.

Now plllog, I have good news for us with all this "C- talk."

Just confirmed with the IKEA UK site that the capacity volume of all IKEA wall ovens is the same-52 litres or 3.1 cubic feet. That's good news and makes sense. When I was at IKEA here, I looked at the Full convection and the standard convection and the cavity was identical. FWIW Consumer Reports tested Ovens and found no difference between convection and True convection (second fan) whatsoever. Hmmm.

Back to this Kitchen. Every time I went to Europe and noticed that 24 inch is the normal and only size wall oven, I really questioned why on earth would anyone else want a 30 inch monster. More heat hogging, etc. Another classic case of North American over-consumption. Heavy cookers, big families, well maybe, said with extreme skepticism, because some Europeans also have big families and heavy cooking.

But the real reason, listening PP? I gravitated to the 24 incher was looks! Was at some high end Miele show room one day and overheard a conversation of a Manager who just got back from a major Appliance dealer's show and he said the new look was Smaller wall oven than cooktop above. That's when El Nino's ears perked up. Then the Sales guy showed the Miele display which woallah had just that, a 30 inch induction cooktop with a 27 inch wall oven below, giving it a very sleek, tapered, V. Hmm.

When I looked in the IKEA catalogue and saw a 30 inch wall oven under a 30 inch cooktop, it just looked like a big fat all in one range. So, you defeat the purpose of getting the separate component look.

Now how's that for kitcheny ( I like it, hello Webster's) observations from your average guy?

Here is a link that might be useful: I read the news today

o
I Read The News Today

Good Morning everyone,

Woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb through my head

And, ooooo I read the news today oh boy "someone" visited Plllog!

Yes looks like the Oven has put some heat on us, sorry couldn't resist.

Now plllog, I have good news for us with all this "C- talk."

Just confirmed with the IKEA UK site that the capacity volume of all IKEA wall ovens is the same-52 litres or 3.1 cubic feet. That's good news and makes sense. When I was at IKEA here, I looked at the Full convection and the standard convection and the cavity was identical. FWIW Consumer Reports tested Ovens and found no difference between convection and True convection (second fan) whatsoever. Hmmm.

Back to this Kitchen. Every time I went to Europe and noticed that 24 inch is the normal and only size wall oven, I really questioned why on earth would anyone else want a 30 inch monster. More heat hogging, etc. Another classic case of North American over-consumption. Heavy cookers, big families, well maybe, said with extreme skepticism, because some Europeans also have big families and heavy cooking.

But the real reason, listening PP? I gravitated to the 24 incher was looks! Was at some high end Miele show room one day and overheard a conversation of a Manager who just got back from a major Appliance dealer's show and he said the new look was Smaller wall oven than cooktop above. That's when El Nino's ears perked up. Then the Sales guy showed the Miele display which woallah had just that, a 30 inch induction cooktop with a 27 inch wall oven below, giving it a very sleek, tapered, V. Hmm.

When I looked in the IKEA catalogue and saw a 30 inch wall oven under a 30 inch cooktop, it just looked like a big fat all in one range. So, you defeat the purpose of getting the separate component look.

Now how's that for kitcheny ( I like it, hello Webster's) observations from your average guy?

Here is a link that might be useful: I read the news today

o

Solman, mi amigo, forget the voting and debating. At the end of the day, when you're in your cocina, with or without your companion, what is it that you want to see/use in your kitchen? I say if you answer that question with some conviction, then we've got a go!

o

prairie-you sound busy and hope you're being productive. I just got in from an assignment and brrrr -16 windchill, scary. I'm afraid to ask you.

marthavila-you can't be far off from me in the freeze factor. Hace mucho frio!

Steff-Don't tell us you're planning a pool party with you next door neighbor. Ditto not with the broken pump I hope.

Angela-You're on the Eastern shore like us right?

Tex- you're still away looks like.

plllog-I hope all those clothes are folded and ironed by now. And the sheets, all starched up and ironed, no doubt. By the way, all this for the upcoming celebration/dinner? Can you fill us in on when that will be so we can get psyched up too? I believe The Hanukkah is 8 straight days which means this Sunday will be a key big splash weekend right?

o

I agree with Marthavila about doing what you want.

But you did misread a bunch of stuff (she said, rapping his knuckles with her ruler).

• 52 liters is 1.84 cubic feet. All English versions

• 3.1 cubic feet is 87.78 liters, and supposedly is the American one.

• 24" used to be the standard oven size. A cookie sheet or roaster fit front to back. Then convection came around and made the cavity smaller, so ovens became 27" wide so the sheet or roaster could fit sideways. That changed more recently to 30", and the only reason I can think of for that is so that the wall ovens would be comparable size to range ovens, but I don't know if that's true.

• The whole oven taper thing isn't style. It's people in Europe wanting ovens in kitchens that are very tiny apartment fitting them in where they can. A lot of these people don't have room for a countertop "toaster oven" want to build one in. It's adequate for a couple of chicken breasts or some hors d'oeurves. A lot of people who live in small spaces in big cities entertain at restaurants.

• The taper between 30" which is really 28.5", cooktop and 24" oven, is an Italian cut shirt.

• The taper between 36" fruit basket and 24" oven is a John Derek wife--huge shoulders and no hips.

• The overall visual is the fruit basket and oven. The cooktop, not so much, though it does give you and intermediate size.

I seriously question the 52 liter oven. If you're sure you like the inner dimensions, I'll kick the practicality police back to their barracks. I don't think you need a 120+ litres oven, though it would balance the fruit basket better. But considering the fiestas you have planned, I just want you to be sure that you don't need the 87 litre oven. Maybe you can talk to the UK Ikea ladies again and confirm that all of the UK ovens are all 52 litres, and check close to you that the N. American oven is really 87+ litres.

Recommendation: Cut up some grocery bags or something. Make one the side of the fruit basket, and sketch that in with markers. Stick it up in its place. Make another for the cooktop, and another for the oven door. Stick them up. Take a look, keeping in mind the different colors. If you're happy, I'm happy.

o

Solman,

Chanukah, which, as you said, is eight days in length, ends Friday at sundown. Big party, for convenience is on Saturday night. Both sides of the family, but several of the kids live out of town and aren't coming in, and 6-10 locals (I can't remember for sure) are required to be elsewhere, so I think we're down to 35.

The laundry was for laundry's sake. 2 loads of towels (not a spare clean one left other than the old ones), 2 loads of darks, and one of lingerie. There's half a load of lights left, but I'm not stressing over it. The sheets go out for starching and ironing. Much easier that way, and they like the change of scene.

Basics of Jewish holidays: All days begin at sundown. Sabbath is the most important day and takes precedence over all other holy days. The important holidays are the three harvest festivals (Pesach, Shavo'ut, and Sukkot (in English, Passover, Weeks, and Booths)), as well as the "Days of Awe" which are bookended by Rosh HaShanah and Yom Kippur. Chanukah and Purim (Feast of Esther) are fun festivals for the children, but of lesser importance. There are also lots of one day feasts and fast days, and a total of four new years.

o

I think we need Scotland Yard to investigate this Watson, I smell a fish.

The IKEA UK Site Specs for all the 24 inchers show:

Width: 59.5 cm
Depth: 56.4 cm
Height: 59.5 cm

IKEA Germany:

Produktmae:

Breite: 59.5 cm
Tiefe: 56.4 cm
Hhe: 59.5 cm

IKEA Canada Site Specs for the 24 inchers show:

Width: 59.5 cm
Depth: 53.8 cm
Height: 59.5 cm

So the depth of the UK and Germany is stated as deeper, all others remain equal. Then. how can the Canadian/USA have higher capacity. Is there a translation error?

Had this conversation with AEG Canada when I inquired about capacity and he was also confused on how IKEA's oven could possibly be a full cubic foot larger than theirs when the physical dimensions are exactly the same. As he said, it is mathematically not possible.

Now that being said, if the Euro one is the same size as the Can-US one, and it is too small, the only other option is the Black 30 inch IKEA which has no convection of any kind. Hardly motivating.

Has anyone here seen the insides of the 24 inch IKEA ovens and have any comment on practicality of size?

Here is a link that might be useful: White 30 inch IKEA With Convection

o

hihi, yes, busy, productive day wooohooo :o)

Thanks for the holiday info, plllog, I've saved it. I also love ironed sheets, but it NEVER happens in my house lol

It was 8 degrees (that's 46.4 F for the 'mercans) here today. Yes, folks, 8 glorious degrees. Have I ever mentioned that I love the chinook winds? They're awful for those that suffer from migraines but ... for the rest of us, it's wonderful.

solman, I agree that you need to make sure your oven is fully functional, especially in a house. I would go nuts if I couldn't fit a full-sized cookie sheet and/or roaster in my oven, no matter how pretty it was. (sorry, once again the PP interfere) I also LOVE LOVE LOVE my convection oven. Cookies that used to take hours are now done in a third of the time. Well, everything cooks faster, but the cookies are what I notice the most, because I always make so many at once.

Here is a link that might be useful: chinook

o
Oh No. - Dishwasher Issue

When I look at my current Appliance set-up, all my items are out of the North American "norm".

Fridge- 24.5 inches (norm=30)

Dishwasher- Was going for 18 inch

Now with this oven capacity talk I am questioning a cabinet/dishwasher decision.

Present photo set up has 15 inch bank of 3 drawers and remaining space only for an 18 inch dishwasher.

So, would you rather have the above or no bank of 3 drawers and a 24 inch dishwasher instead? If this option, then there are 2 x 21 inch shallow 6 inch drawers in the kitchen. One is to the right of the cook top and one to the left of the sink.

I have never had:

a) a Dishwasher
b) a bank of drawers.

Therefore, hard for me to comment. For re-sale, which of the above options would you be able to live with if you were buying this house?

o
Plus What!

solman, I agree that you need to make sure your oven is fully functional, especially in a house. I would go nuts if I couldn't fit a full-sized cookie sheet and/or roaster in my oven, no matter how pretty it was. (sorry, once again the PP interfere) I also LOVE LOVE LOVE my convection oven.

Great news on your day Missy. And the +8!! Man you guys really tip the thermometer extremes. Yes I too looked at the starched AND ironed sheets with amazement. Never happened here, I assure you. But it's got me a little curious I might add. Plllog the trendsetter and knuckle wrapper. Ouch, did that ever hurt!

So now, I'll have to ask you what is the size of these so called cookie sheets and things? I might have to go to IKEA and imagine a Lasagna tray, a Dutch Oven etc. of things that I may put in an oven. I do NOT bake sweets; strangely zero interest in all my years of cooking. And yes looks like any oven purchase without convection in a new reno would be silly.

I must say that I do most of my dancing above the counter.

plllog-don't be thinking I'm going to become some Puerto Rican festival host or anything. That was just a little fantasy I had about a Gran Fiesta on the completion of this Kitchen. It will definitely be a one off when it happens.

o

The sheets go out for starching and ironing. Much easier that way, and they like the change of scene.

Cute. Into the folder.

o

LOL!! I figured it out a long time ago. For what it costs to do the sheets at home I can send them out. They love getting to play on the mangle and come home all crisp and happy.

Solman, as I said before about the AHA! momemnt: The extra cubic foot in the American oven is because it doesn't have a proper fan. There are 7 cubic feet within the dimensions for the works and cavity.

I get the convection thing, but in a dirt cheap (but cute) oven it's not the be all end all. If you want to cook with convection, you need it. If you're only thinking about "ought to", forget it!!! This is the whole thing about 24" ovens. The only ones of a decent interior size don't have convection fans. My old 24" oven (no convection) only fit the large foil lasagna pans with the edges turned up. I can't imagine coping with anything smaller. Or an oven too shallow to stand up a chicken in.

This is why I've been yammering about it. Find out the interior dimensions for the pretty colors. Measure your cookware. And remember that roasters are for big birds and cookie sheets are also for appetizers, rolls, and all kinds of other nice things.

If the 1.8 cubic foot interior will work for you then get one of the cuties. If not, function comes before form.

Since you're mostly not cooking for a lot of people you don't need a full sized dishwasher. Unlike cooking without an oven, washing the dishes can be done easily without a dishwasher. The 18" one is fine. You already have the cabinets and drawers, right? If you think you want the standard sized one, that's fine too. None of this is about selling the house, remember? It's about enticing the night life to come to you.

Missy, I'm SO glad the weather has turned reasonable for you. Your high sounds cold to me, but a reasonable temperature for human beings. :) It was pretty and sunny here today too!

o

Another classic case of North American over-consumption.

Or maybe us 'mericans wouldn't think of buying a new oven that can't fit a good sized turkey. I recently upsized to a 30" Bosch convection from 27" GE. It was really worth it to me, but I love to bake and almost everything I put in the smaller oven baked unevenly because of hot spots.

Ikea displays their cookware in the kitchen setups, so go ahead and load that lasagna pan or cookie sheet right in there. Or drop by the cookware section first and pick up the items you use most for a test run.

I would prefer an 18" dishwasher because it takes less time to get a full load and uses less water. Water is the thing we have to conserve the most around here. I would keep the drawers, they are the most useful in my kitchen.

Missy, your high was about the same as ours. We're expecting another freeze this weekend. Brrr.

Going to Houston again this weekend. Should be back Sunday afternoon.

o

Good journey, Steff!

BTW, can you or Tex help me with something that's been bugging me? When I used to go to Houston regularly my friends always made a point of stopping at this really well known barbecue place. There's a big, rough asphalt area with picnic tables, and a small building, with a service counter. A long line snakes in and loops around to the ordering. Maybe next to a car lot? I haven't been there in ten years. I just can't remember what it's called, and I don't know if the description is about the same for every barbecue joint in Texas. When I was last there all the walls were painted a kind of cadet blue.

o

There are a lot of places that fit that description, but it really sounds like a place in the Heights. I can't remember the name either because I haven't lived in Houston for a while. BIL is in the barbecue catering business there and might know so I'll ask.

o

Did you see that Solman posted a message today in the previous thread? GW's still pretzeled, huh?

o
RE: Changing so this will post

I did see that the other thread went to 154 and wondered how that happened. Anyway, went over to see the post and....

solman - I really prefer more deco tiles in the backsplash. Either walleyed joe or mantilla.

plllog - do you remember if the bbq joint was close to downtown? Or what part of town it was near?

o

Hm... Well? Where's downtown? Just kidding. I'd say it's within twenty minutes drive of the George R. Brown convention center (or maybe the Hyatt), but may just five, or maybe 30. I think it's quite a bit closer than Ninfa's. I'm pretty sure it's on a main drag, and maybe on the left as you're coming up on it from the convention center.

I guess Solman has gone to Ikea. I'm forcing myself to contribute to the great garbage stream and wrap presents in fancy paper rather than reusable cloth. Sigh.

o

Oh, and Steff? Thanks!! I hope it's warm and lovely in Houston and you have a marvelous time. Wave at Tex for us while you're there. ;-)

o

When I look at my current Appliance set-up, all my items are out of the North American "norm".

Fridge- 24.5 inches (norm=30)

Dishwasher- I was am going for with 18 inch.

Just talked to my neighbors and she emphasized that while she now has a dishwasher, it is a pain to use since the two of them take a few days to fill it and run a full load. So she said you often end up washing by hand anyways since you need an item again before the load is finally run.

Convincing argument for an 18 inch and keeping a 15 inch bank of drawers I guess.

o
Eeery

Did you see that Solman posted a message today in the previous thread? GW's still pretzeled, huh?

I did see that the other thread went to 154 and wondered how that happened. Anyway, went over to see the post and....

Eeery guys because" I did NOT have...." (Bill Clinton) umm I meant post there. After reading your posts I went back and checked and it says today but it was posted many days ago. Wow. Also, I noticed Part 1-IV of all our threads are missing!

Steff- Yes, wish you a nice time in Houston but please do pop in on us as we are bound to get lonely without you. And can you scout the Tamale scene out for us? Could it possibly get any better than SA?

Tex-??

o

boy, it's quiet in here today. The forums are loading really slowly for me - maybe it's part of the problem for everyone.

I agree with the others, that a small dishwasher is ok. :o) I also really prefer drawers over lower cupboards.

I wonder too, if you have so much room on either side of your oven, if you should put a couple of pull-outs there. There are some fantastic ideas floating around for using smallish spaces like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: hidden gems

o

Hi Missy,

I was thinking the same thing about the pull-outs, assuming Solman's really happy with the mini-oven. :)

The forum has been moving fine for me. I wonder if it's the 'net in your neighborhood. Or...have you rebooted your router recently?

o
We're in some serious heat.

Plllog, Missy how are you guys?

Sorry but I'm just dialing in due to eventful day with biz and the cold headache that's slowed me down.

The Oven Puzzle

Yes that has me in a funk, no doubt. And here we thought it was just a simple color choice which by the way I decided on White. I had a Green paper in position on the wall oven cabinet all day yesterday and every time I walked into the room, it was too much. I imagined the bombardment looking off the red floor, going to the Green oven, then the Cobalt V-Cap, yellow backsplash and finally the fruit basket. Just seemed that the Green was taking front stage.

I've missed the IKEA UK ladies (again) due to time difference, will call tomorrow for a manual measurement.

Good news on UK IKEA- They sell a 24 inch "steam" convection oven. Too die for I say. So far only seen the big bucks Mieles with this function.

When I had the twin of Peanut's stove/oven combo, a 1950's Moffat Monster, it had a max 16 inch wide x 16 inch high gas powered oven. Now I never used it for heating things up (restaurant left overs) because it always dried food out. So, I always steamed things up on the stove by transferring the food into a pyrex dish and then putting that dish in a Bamboo Steamer inserted into a water filled high saucepan. Now you understand why a steam oven sounds so appealing.

The bad news, of course, only available in Stainless:(

The next issue, also to be confirmed tomorrow. The lowest freight cost I could find was $400 to ship the oven!! The cooktop was only $180.

IKEA UK

The off-white retro clock= 500+400 Shipping=$900

The steam stainless=$875+400 shipping=$1,275

Any IKEA 24" Convections= $875 + 400 shipping= $1,275

IKEA Canada

24 inch White TRUE convection =$849-$949

30 inch White "just" Convection= $1,099

One I have:

24 inch BLACK "just" Convection= $849
Dazed and confused :(

Here is a link that might be useful: Steam+Convection Oven!

o

Missy-Plllog-Stef-thanks for the support on the 18 inch dishwasher. Looks like we're all in step.

Also thanks for the pull-outs thought. I think I have the mother of all pull outs in the IKEA corner cabinet. IKEA re-engineered it this year. It is like a half lazy suzan and it's HUGE and really well made. You've got to check it out, if you'll be having a corner floor cabinet.

o

Yup, another problem.

The Cabinet doors.

While out today at Fed Ex, I popped in on a kitchen place and inquired about the price to have the present Pine doors painted. He just looked at me in shock. Painting Knotty Pine doors? And why would I buy soft Pine doors for Kitchen cupboards in the first place? That was an easy answer, because I was going to go honey colored Pine stained, hence I bought Pine. I do realize that it is purchased for it's wood beauty, not to be painted.

But now, the plan has changed.

Basically the nice fellow said, look if you're going to all the effort of painting and creating the upscale look, these doors will get banged and look like #* and the knots "could" bleed through no matter what miracle products they apply.

So, dejected I started digging like a Racoon. My finds:

1. We can "donate" the doors to Habitat For Humanity locally and they may give me a Charitable Tax Receipt for the full value of the doors.

2. Then buy new doors in Maple, which he said is the absolute best for painted wood doors, and have a very long lasting door and paint finish.

Any thoughts?

If we do the above, should we still stay with raised panel as opposed to Flat Panel?

o
Canadian IKEA True Convection

From our Canadian IKEA friends

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA Canada White

o

My white painted cabs are made of maple. I can definitely vouch for their great looks.

o
Good Bedtime Reading

Temperatures of steam ovens vary. Different systems can cook food at temperatures of 212 to more than 572 degrees Fahrenheit (100 to more than 300 degrees Celsius). Cooking a chicken in a steam oven set to 212 degrees Fahrenheit (100 degrees Celsius) would take about 20 minutes to cook rather than the two hours it'd take in a traditional oven.

Steam oven manufacturers claim that their ovens not only reduce cooking time, but also lower the fat content of food. Dry heat cooking tends to rely on added fat to keep meats from drying out. With steam, meat needs no supplementary fat, and will definitely not be dry because of the constant injections of steam. Steam cooking also retains more vitamins than other cooking methods and is therefore touted as a far healthier way of preparing foods.

Steam ovens are also praised for preserving the flavor of baked foods. This is due largely to the very quick time in which food can be prepared. Consumers who have used a steam oven support this claim.

Though the term 'oven' suggests that one can only bake with a steam oven, manufacturers also recommend using the steam oven for quickly preparing pasta or soup, or even for sterilizing baby bottles. A new product based on an ancient theme in cooking, the steam oven may well be poised to become the next great kitchen appliance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Miele

o
Hot and Steamy...

More good bedtime reading.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bedtime Reading

o
Furthermore

The obvious plus for the IKEA Canada one is that there is zero loss on my present IKEA Black oven investment and I would get full value by exchanging it for the White Convection 24 " + $100 price difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: White 24 inch Convection

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here