Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulines_gw

Another New England Get-Together?

paulines
17 years ago

Anyone up for lunch in Boston? Thinking maybe the 2nd or 3rd Saturday (or would a Sunday be better?) in January at the Pru (Legals, perhaps?). The more the merrier!

Comments (94)

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

jubileej,

It's in the Copley Place Mall. Legals is on the 2nd floor. There's an entrance to Copley Place directly across the street from the Back Bay T station and on Huntington Ave, as well. The Prudential & Copley Malls are side by side - the Copley is the smaller of the two and it's the one WITHOUT the convention center.

See you in a couple weeks!

• minikit
    17 years ago

May I join you? I haven't posted lately, and my tiny-kitchen remodel is waaaaaaay behind schedule, but I'd love to meet other TKOs. (No one else understands.....)

It's only a short T ride for me. In fact, if the weather is terrible--and it's bound to be, sooner or later--I could even schlep through snowbanks to get there. But then I might be lunching by myself!

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Of course minikit, the more, the merrier. Looking forward to meeting you!

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Bill, if you're coming I think I'll recognize you.

I'll be wearing a chamois shirt that says "Creative
    Ceramic and Marble" over the pocket, so I should be pretty easy to pick out. :-)

• emmie9999
    17 years ago

Hey, folks!

I'm still planning to attend. I think checking in on 1/26 is a great idea, in case of last minute cancellations or additions. I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

By the way, I'll be coming in on the commuter rail from Lowell. If anyone else is coming in that way, we can meet up in North Station and go together.

Take care,
    Emmie

• mindstorm
    17 years ago

Bill, I vote you wear a shirt that says card carrying, Bible thumping, Fox News watching, Bill O'Rielly lovin', pro-life, loud mouth conservative on it. I'll carry your gun. :-) (Bring the double-barrelled, self-loading, automatic rifle with the silencer, LEDs, and subwoofer).

Abfab, would you like to go in together? If you're going from Lex or Arl as I will be, we could certainly do so. I did plan to take my car down to Alewife and then take the subway in unless the temps are anything like today in which case I drive in. Sorry by the way that I didn't answer your last email. I had guests over at the time so didn't respond then and then keep forgetting to check/sort email when I'm at home for all the emails I do want to answer.

• ejr2005
    17 years ago

Is there room for one more? I've been out of the loop for a while - but still remodeling. I'd love to come, though because of work I can't be definite until the morning of.

• capecodder
    17 years ago

Pauline, sorry to say I can't go...we're going on a "romatnic getaway." You'll have to tell me how it went. I hope everyone has a great time!
    Janet

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

We'd love it if you could make it, ejr! The reservations will be under TKO - I'll get there a bit early and be waiting by the entrance to Legals. Maybe Abfab's idea of suspenders bejeweled with a tape measure isn't bad, lol.

Janet, we'll miss seeing you (it's been far too long!)but a romantic getaway sounds way more exciting (not to say we're not an exciting bunch or anything)! YOU have a great time, too!

Updated;
    Mindstorm
    Jubileej
    Abfab
    Honeyb2
    Bill (see Bill, I'm removing the question mark,lol)
    Emmie
    Nancy?
    Celticmoom?
    Zelmar?
    Chispa?
    Zobeet
    Minikit
    EJR2005?
    Pauline

Do I have it right? Did anyone see the extended weather forecast - I think white stuff is predicted for Friday, ugh!

• paul_ma
    17 years ago

I just noticed this. I'd like to come, but I don't think I will be able to. (I think a birthday thing will be happening that day.) It would be good if I could get there, just to keep Bill from being henpecked too much.

I'll see how things shape up between now and then. If things clear up then I'll check back to see if there is room for another. I've learned a lot from a bunch of you, and would love to put faces with the names.

Paul

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I know I said we'd touch base here Friday, but actually, could we make that Thursday? I'll call in the reservations Friday morning. I'm sure there will be one or two (or three?) that won't know until Saturday morning and that's fine.

lol Paul, let us know how things go.

• namabafo
    17 years ago

I was hoping to know by now if I am coming...

I am definitely not heading to NH this weekend, but plans are still up the air. Yesterday while working on cleaning out MIL's house in w. ma(she passed away in may) we got a call that her sister died. She is in FL, and all family is here, so later in the week there will be services at some point...

I hope to know more in the next few days...

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Unfortunately I can't swing a run out east this weekend... will be a blast I'm sure. Though I just know I'd end up at the wrong Legal, LOL.

Have fun!!

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How are we doing - is everyone still up for Saturday?

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Count me in.

• namabafo
    17 years ago

I'm out. :(

catch you next time

Nancy

• minikit
    17 years ago

I'll be there. And no snowbanks in sight!

Thanks for making all the arrangements, Pauline. By the way, since I'm new at this, how do you deal with the bill (as opposed to the Bill)?

• mindstorm
    17 years ago

Count me in too. I'm really excited about this and looking forward to it.

Umm, what time are we meeting again? 12:30?

Legal Seafood's at Copley, yes?

• minikit
    17 years ago

If you plan your meals as obsessively as your kitchen, here's a link to Legal-Copley's lunch menu. Delish!

Here is a link that might be useful: Legal-Copley's lunch menu

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Sorry, folks-- I'm out. I had a hardwood guy get sick this week, and I lost a couple of days waiting for him to get his work done. So if I don't work this weekend, I'll be way behind the 8 ball. Hopefully, next time.

• chispa
    17 years ago

We won't be around either ... they have been making snow like crazy up North, so we will be going skiing. Hope you all have a great time!

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I may have to pass on this get-together myself, unfortunately. A friend of DH's passed last Friday and we just found out there will be some sort of memorial and afterservice tomorrow. I'm hesitant for DH to attend by himself as he took the passing very hard.

On the other hand, I was so looking forward to seeing/meeting everyone. Can I let everyone know tonight after I've had a chance to speak to DH?

• minikit
    17 years ago

I'm sorry to hear this, Pauline, and I think you SHOULD be with your husband.

Since it wouldn't be the same without The Organizer (not to mention The Bill and several others), if you can't be there why don't we just reschedule? There are only a few of us left, including some still uncertain. I, for one, would enjoy see those of you who can't be there tomorrow.

Next Saturday, the following Saturday....?

• mindstorm
    17 years ago

Pauline, I'm so sorry to hear about DH's friend passing. My condolences to both of you.

I'm game to reschedule if a different date is more convenient for more.

I'm relatively easy to manage on Saturdays so if there are enough people for tomorrow, I can still be on. If not, I'm game for a later date.

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks minikit & mindstorm, you're both so sweet!

I just spoke to DH again and he's pretty insistent that I carry on with my plans to meet up with you all. There's no argueing with the man, lol

minikit, in response to your question, last time we got together we split the check. None of us had a cocktail or wine (I think?) and the meals were priced the same more or less, so it worked out well. I think we might of had an appetizer or two to nibble on while we chatted and we shared the cost of that, as well.

I did leave a message for HoneyB2, hopefully she's still planning on coming & I think Abfabs' planning on coming, as well?

One other thing, the train gets me into Back Bay at 12:30, so I actually won't get to Legals until 12:40-12:45, or so -how about I make reservations for 1:00? Is that ok with everyone?

• minikit
    17 years ago

One p.m. is fine for me. I hope your DH holds up well without you!

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Paulines, you and your husband are very thoughtful. Let me say, though, that everyone seems flexible - and it is awfully cold out - so I wouldn't mind a reschedule - though I was planning on returning a teaching kit to the BSO anyway and can come in if others really want this week-end.

So, I'm game, either way. How does ev. else feel?

• minikit
    17 years ago

I too will go along with the majority--if there is one.

I must say that, if I were in Pauline's position--having a noble husband(!) and understanding TKO-mates--I'd be inclined to reschedule; otherwise during lunch I'd probably be wondering how's he's doing on his own. (A wild generalization: we women feel free to cry, but men don't seem to manage as well in such painful public situations.)

Pauline, if you know that he really wants you there, don't feel guilty about rescheduling US. Has anyone complained about that possibility?

There are only a few of us anyway, and TKOs are used to Revising the Plan! And it's not as though you have to cancel the church, the hall, and the flowers.......

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yea, the site's back up!

Lol minikit and thank you & jubileej for your concern, but let's meet up tomorrow - DH will be fine (honestly).

I'm making reservations for 1:00 under the name *TKO*. Honeyb2 and I will be coming by train - we'll be waiting outside the entrance to Legals (Copley) sans suspenders ;)

• jubileej
    17 years ago

We're on then!

• mindstorm
    17 years ago

I'm definitely in and ejr2005 left me a message that she is a definite maybe. She'll confirm with me tomorrow and we'll come in together if she's coming. Else I'll see Pauline, minikit, jubileej, honeyb2, hopefully abfab and ... anyone else?

• emmie9999
    17 years ago

I'm coming! I couldn't get onto the site Friday, but it was because my internet connection was wonky...must be the sub zero wind chill. I'll be in a long black down coat and a leopard print hat and scarf!

Pauline, I am so sorry to hear about your DH's friend passing. He is very sweet to insist that you keep your "date".

I'm looking forward to meeting everyone!

Take care,
    Emmie

• minikit
    17 years ago

Can't tell you yet what I'll be wearing--either the unfashionable but warm parka or the slightly more fashionable and maybe warmer long coat. Either way I'll look like an Iditarod musher. I'm taking the T but will be ready for a few minutes of bitter cold at both ends.

If Pauline and Honeyb2 are both at the door, I'll enjoy trying to guess who's who.

This is going to be fun!

• emmie9999
    17 years ago

I'm sorry, everyone. I woke up feeling sick this morning, and knew I could not go. I wanted to call the restaurant and leave a message, but I wound up falling back to sleep, and didn't wake up to even call until almost 2. I hope the restaurant gave you my message when I finally did call. I'm sorry if I caused any trouble by not showing up! I hope you all had a wonderful time.

Back to bed for me, at least for now. Please keep me in mind for the next one!

Take care,
    Emmie

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Emmie, we did get your message. So sorry you weren't able to make it, are you feeling any better? We definitely will get together again and look forward to meeting you!

Did everyone get home ok? It was a pleasure seeing/meeting you all and I enjoyed myself immensely!

This is what I did when I got home (like I need it after all those amazing desserts at lunch,lol):

• minikit
    17 years ago

That WAS fun, Pauline. Thank you again for arranging it. And thanks to Abfab, Ejr2005, Honeyb2, Jubileej, and Mindstorm for your good company.

Not having met any of you before, I didn't know what to expect. I should have known that a bunch of TKOs meeting over food would be folks I'd enjoy spending time with. I'd love to get together again!

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Whoo Hoo! that was invigorating! It WAS fun for all us "non-people" to take on flesh and bone! And for those who could not join us - we missed getting to see you. Emmie, your message did arrive at our table - so sorry you are under the weather. Fix yourself a nice hot cuppa tea! (And drool over paulines virtual almond pastries.)

Bill, we gossiped about you to pass the time. And a good time was had by all.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Ah huh. :-)

NOW you've peaqued my curiosity!!

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Suffice to say Bill that if you ever get burnt out in the tiling biz, I think I know of a perfect job for you.

How do you feel about talking on the phone?

• abfab
    17 years ago

Oh I should have realized when I got up this morning that all you guys would manage to get to this thread before me! I meant to be the first to post on our amazing lunch!

I really want to thank Pauline, who organized the whole thing and made sure that mindstorm, enid and I didn't get lost on our way, and who anchored the lunch with her encyclopedic knowledge of all things kitchen and all things garden web. It was a truly great experience meeting everyone and if we all hadn't had "real lives" I think the restaurant would have been kicking us out at 2:00 am after some seriously hard partying. As it was we left decorously after only about four or five hours of non stop talking--but there was so much more to say!

I can't wait for our next get together and I hope all the other new englanders, past and present, can get there too. It was a blast.

abfab

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

What-- TELEMARKETER???

• minikit
    17 years ago

No, Bill, what Pauline had in mind--after hearing your voice--was a bit more interesting.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

I see.

Ahem...... Nice weather we're having?

• paulines
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Sorry Bill, not trying to be cryptic or anything (or maybe I am :)

I mentioned that you have an amazingingly sexy voice and if Kathleen didn't mind, talking to lonely woman might be a great occupation for you (capisci?). Now I'll shut up.

Minikit & Abfab, you are most welcome - it was really nice meeting everyone, I wish we could have chatted longer!

• zobeet
    17 years ago

Sorry I didn't make it. I've been frantically thinking and re-thinking my kitchen plans, so even though getting together with all of you would probably have been a good idea, I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Glad it was fun!

• honeyb2
    17 years ago

Hmmm - my post from yesterday appears to have vanished into the void. So anyway....just wanted to echo others in saying how lovely it was to meet my fellow TKOers. The time flew by so fast! And thank you Pauline for making it all happen.

deborah

• mindstorm
    17 years ago

I've been a bit long getting back here but I too wanted to say what a great time I had getting to meet you all. Thank you so much Pauline for making it happen. Emmie, I'm sorry you were feeling poorly and hope you are better now. zobeet, I'm sorry we didn't get to meet you either but I can certainly understand not wanting to divert attention from what was at the fore of your mind.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Sounds like I missed a good time. :-) Damn work anyway!!

• ejr2005
    17 years ago

Looks like I'm the last to chime in as usual. I ended up working all day Sunday and into the night. It was with folks I'm fond of and hopefully they've found a new home they'll love though so I'm not complaining. Of course I had to blow off a date with my DH to try to start getting the stuff in our house under control...

I'm so glad I went to the get together. What a treat meeting folks in the flesh. I'll now really notice what everyone writes, and can put face and personality to virtual voices. I have to say that after all of our focus on kitchens I was surprised at some of the conversations that happened. And it seemed like they could have gone on for hours more. We'll definitely have to do it again. And it would be great to meet the other local folks. Bill - you're a definite, especially after all the discussion!

It was also fun having Mindstorm and Abfab into my still partially done kitchen. I haven't allowed too many folks in, but figured they would understand. I now have a couple of people that can vouch for the great feel of my honed granite. They did what everyone seems to do - fondle it!

OT: Abfab - I think you mentioned someone local who had Marianna soapstone. Can I have that contact? You could list here, or I think still email me privately through the this site, or get my phone # from Mindstorm.

Thank you so much Pauline for organizing us and telling us stories about the old days on the Garden Web. What fun! Thanks to all who came - that wss one of the more interesting afternoons I've spent recently! Emmie - I hope you're better and that you and others can join in the next time.

• emmie9999
    17 years ago

Hi everybody!

Thanks for all the well wishes. I am feeling better, and really hoping I can make it to the next luncheon! I'm glad to hear that everyone had such a good time.

So.....when's our next date?

Emmie

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!