Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_vincent_gw

i gotta show this off somewhere!!

bill_vincent
18 years ago

It doesn't really belong in the kitchens or baths forums, and not really even in the flooring forum (yet)!! But this is about as intricate as it's gotten so far for me!! I'm getting ready to retile a section of the showroom's floor that gives me alot of my work, and one of the things I'm doing is inlaying the company logo into the floor in tile. I got a new saw back a couple of months ago that's basically a diamond scroll saw, and I've been WAITING for the chance to use it, and here it was, so this is my first try with it. First, the pic of what the logo is supposed to look like:

And here's my stab at commercial art:

It's not installed yet. I was going to install it today, but we got some tile in for a job we'd been waiting on, so of course, the customers come first. But as soon as it IS installed, I'll post pics.

Comments (39)

• adichristi
    18 years ago

Bill_Vincent, You are a TRUE ARTISAN.

Absolutely meritorious.

• paigect
    18 years ago

AWESOME Bill! I can't believe the detail. What kind of tile did you use for the letters?

• lowspark
    18 years ago

No question about it, you do excellent work!! Thanks for showing us -- we love to see your stuff!

• joy_or
    18 years ago

WOW!! The detail! You are a genius. I can't imagine making all those cuts. Just like puzzle pieces. Your work is truly awesome. Yes, thanks for sharing!

• paulines
    18 years ago

Bill,
    Absolutely perfect, those letters are AMAZING! You really need to sign that art! Can you tell us what the materials are, please?

• lackboys3
    18 years ago

Hey Bill, that's some SERIOUSLY excellent tile work! When are you moving to Central Florida? Have I got a job for you!!!!:-)
    DONNA

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Paige-- It's from Dal's Portobello series, Colorado green and Colorado white for the herringbone, cut down from 12x12's, all of it.

Thank you very much, everyone!! I was pretty impressed with it myself, and that takes alot!! That's why I couldn't wait to show it off!! :-)

• gfiliberto
    18 years ago

Really *BEAUTIFUL* !!!

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Wow - great job Bill! I can't imagine the time that must have taken. Now, couldn't you have convinced them to make that middle emblam a star? They would just have to repaint their trucks - no big deal!!!!

• pamela928
    18 years ago

Amazing, Bill. I can't imagine how you did that...
    Pamela

• Bizzo
    18 years ago

I am suitably impressed! and so glad you shared it with us here!!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

This is the machine I used to cut them out:

As for the star, I'm doing one of those in the floor, too-- a 7 foot by 11 foot compass rose.

So far, it's taken me just a little more than a day to cut out the template, and then cut out the letters. Now,when it comes time for me to get back to it, it'll take me about another day to cut out the field tiles where the letters will be inserted, and then probably a few hours to install it all, atleast.

• catslikemice
    18 years ago

Very cool!

• susan209
    18 years ago

You are such a knowledgeable tile person and give so much of your time and concern to all who ask. And you also show us such marvelous jobs you do............I think we all appreciate you so much. THANKS BILL

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

Way to go, Bill :)

• paulines
    18 years ago

Leave it to a guy to show off his tools! (LOL)

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey now, I resemble that remark!! :-)

• claybabe
    18 years ago

WOW! Forget FLorida, when are you moving to Washington?

• kitchenmom
    18 years ago

Amazing Bill! You're welcome to come to Philly anytime as well. If you ever get the travel bug, you could make a great living as an itinerant tiler, doing gardenweb floors and backsplashes across the country. :-)

• lilathabit
    18 years ago

Bill, as I have always said, you're a rarity - a true professional. Beautiful!

• proudmamato4
    18 years ago

That is just amazing!

• toomuch
    18 years ago

Beautiful work! Wish you lived around here!

• namabafo
    18 years ago

Beautiful work, Bill! You are an artist with tile...

And I even know where Bridgton is! :-) (My cousins live in Lovell)

• mindstorm
    18 years ago

Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill, Bill ....

... isn't it time you learned to write cursive yet? Don't they teach you anything up in Maine?

No, I'm being obnoxious because that is just splendid! I don't understand how you can make those concave cuts. Your scroll work is better than my handwriting!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

claybabe-- I don't know where in washington you are, but it just so happens I know a contractor in Washington with one of those DL's (the saw) and she's every bit as good with it as I am-- probably better at this point because she's had hers for a while and has had several jobs she's used it on.

Kitchenmom-- That's been suggested many times!! If I were still single, I probably would, too. But I did the traveling thing-- years ago going around the country doing malls, and up until a year ago last october, around New England doing restaurants. It's no fun only seeing my wife a for a day or two a week. :-)

namabafo-- yep-- right around the corner!!

and now, Mindstorm!! :-) Maybe next time on the cursive (which is right around the corner)!! There's a major lumber company that's moving their home showroom about halfway between my house and the showroom. I was already supposed to be doing their bathrooms as well as a couple of kitchen mockups, doing the backsplashes and even a couple of granite tile countertops. But it just so happened that when I laid the logo out to take that picture, the owner came into the showroom. Now I'll be doing the fron entry of THEIR showroom, as well, complete with logo! :-)

Oh-- I almost forgot-- an update-- The house where we were waiting for the tile that finally came in-- I went over this morning to start doing the tile and apparently the furnace had a flaw and shut down, so I ended up back working on the showroom today. I'm about 3/4 of the way done cutting in the floor to lay in the logo, and tomorrow I hope to finish it up, as well as cutting and installing the compass rose (which once we got it laid out, ended up measuring 8'x12') so hopefully, I'll have some more pics tomorrow night.

• jenswrens
    18 years ago

Bill is the GREATEST!!!!! :-)

• jfrorelo
    18 years ago

hmmm...Bill gets to be creative with design, promote his company, get his hands dirty and play with new tools. And it looks great! Is the showroom paying for it too? What a great bunch of reasons to be proud of yourself!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Well, 4 out of 5 ain't bad!! LOL I talked the owner into both the logo and a compass rose to show people that come in what's possible, So this one is pretty much gratis. I'm getting paid for the footage, and that's about it. My next project will be two sample boards-- one of a loon silhouette, and the other, a stag head silhouette. Here it is, everything but grout:

• sugarbreak
    18 years ago

Holy crap!! That is fantastic!!

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Piece o' cake. :-)

• sawmill
    18 years ago

The owners have to be pretty darned excited over this entry, Bill.

• seekingadvice
    18 years ago

OMG!!! That is beautiful!!!

Just out of curiosity - do you have a lot of cool tile in your house? My friend, who makes cabinets, works like a fiend on his gorgeous wood projects but his own house has basic builder stuff :) He says he'll get around to it someday...

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Seeking-- I was bound to be found out sooner or later. :-) I've got lino on the floor and laminate counters. :-) I DO have a tile backsplash and slate dining room floor!! Does that count? (even though they were here before I moved it!) Actually, I rent, and the landlord doesn't want to take the chance that I'll screw up his place (go figure!). WIthin a couple of years, I expect to own my own home again, and when that time comes, you all will know it, because it'll be MY turn to ask all of YOU for advice!! (with the exception of the tile and stone selections, anyway!!)

Anna-- actually, the only comment I got was it looks nice. I have a feeling that it was expected because they know what I'm capable of.

• mrsmarv
    18 years ago

Wowza, wowza, wowza! B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L!!

• pirula
    18 years ago

WOW!! Beautifully done! You know, these logo things have tremendous tacky potential. But you have managed to do it beautifully and elegantly!

I'm so hitting you up for info when it comes time for me to tile my new showers AND the marble mosaic floor in the powder room. You'll be around won't you??? Please? pretty please?

bravo!
    Ivette

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I'm not going anywhere, Ivette. :-) Not without alot of kicking and screaming, anyway!! (and maybe holding my breath)

• pirula
    18 years ago

oh thank GAWD!

Ivette

• cupofkindness
    18 years ago

Incredible work, Bill.

• bill_vincent
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks, Cup. :-)

Just wait-- I was talking to the owner of the showroom this morning. He's building his dream home right now-- gonna be alot of design granite going in, and one of the things we're discussing right now is in the front entry doing a 4' diameter compass rose with a 4" band encircling it, and inlaying the letter "G" in the middle of it (his last initial). When it happens, I'll post pics. :-)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County