Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pirula_gw

Am I the only one who bawls???/

pirula
18 years ago

My DS, who is only five, has discovered the Christmas movie "Home Alone". Am I the only one who bawls at the final scene with the old man has called his son and they come over for Christmas day?? I mean, I know I am a sap who cried at "Benji" but seriously, does anyone else think this reunion is REALLY touching????

Ivette (who, perhaps, has had a little too much Christmas spirit today).

Comments (31)

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

Ivette-- it's been years since I've seen that movie, so I can't say for sure, But I gotta say-- there aren't too many Christmas specials that I CAN watch from beginning to end with dry eyes. So, yes you're not the ONLY SAP!! :-)

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

Are you kidding? I was a sniffing mess over the American Girl Samantha Christmas movie yesterday. Has anyone seen that? Dead parents all over the place, plucky little orphan girls, unkind orphanage mistresses, child factory labor...OY. Yes, the problems were solved by the likes of folks named the VanDerGelds LOL, but the girls were plucky and that's what matters.

Although I must say, there was a "Christmas" movie with Gary Sinise I watched while baking just before that and it was *horrible*. I expected better from him, having seen him in Grapes of Wrath, etc. It was pretty easy to keep my cynicism muscle flexed through that whole pitiful thing. I could envision Gary, and Joely Richardson, of all people, both of whom I usually respect, practically calculating how much they would bank per sap-filled line. It must have been excruciating. And imagine the off-screen scenes--oh my goodness in a sick way it would have been fun to have been there during filming. I hope they really like whatever new toys they bought with the $$$.

• pamela928
    18 years ago

Omygosh, I even cry every year when Peter comes home and makes Folgers coffee! (How many years has this commercial been running???)

I just saw The Family Stone, and cried lots through it. It's a Christmas movie, and no one told me it was a SAD comedy!
    Pamela

• atsmith
    18 years ago

When my kids were infants, I bought them a CD called Peter, Paul and Mommy, where Peter, Paul and Mary sing a bunch of kids songs. The last song on it is Puff the Magic Dragon, and my kids love it and ask me to sing it for them all the time (for the lyrics, surely, because this momma can NOT sing). They are 3 years old now and I still cry every time I sing or hear the song, in the last verse, when they sing "A dragon lives forever but not so little boys; Painted wings and giant rings make way for other toys" and on to the end of the verse. It makes me teary now just thinking about it. It reminds me that time is so fleeting and some day they won't want me to sing to them anymore, let alone the cuddles and kisses.

Boy, am I getting sappy. Once we were on a transatlantic flight with them, at 11 months, and me singing this song was the only thing that would settle them. And there I am, walking the aisles of the plane, singing as quietly as I could into the ear of whomever I was holding (and it was always someone!) crying and trying to get through the verse without them noticing. I wonder what the other passengers were thinking. . .

• pirula
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Oh thank God I'm not alone. My son's Christmas recitals were all last week and I loved what I was able to see of them, through a veil of tears. Happy tears. Proud tears to be sure, but man!!

Blubber, blubber.....
    Ivette

• catslikemice
    18 years ago

Pamela...I love that Folgers commercial...DH's name is Peter and it reminds me to when he was off in North Dakota on an internship after we were engaged and yes, he came home right before Christmas.

V

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

atsmith, if you haven't already, look at "Zits", the comic strip, for Sunday. OH yeah, you'll cry...

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

I cried over a movie yesterday. My sister ordered a DVD with the cartoon character Arthur in it that is personalized for my son. So she can never wait to give gifts and brings it over so she can watch Andrew watch himself in Arthur. She sent the company a pic of Andrew and his picture was on the cover with Arthur and then they stick his head on another character so it looks like HE is interacted. So the whole thing was already creeping me out. We make a big show of putting it on and......the superimposed head wad not Andrew - it was Nathan! We laughed so hard we cried. I wonder if Nathan's mom has meet Andrew yet? lol

pamela - lol - Peter!!!! Oh, and I really want to see that movie

flyleft - I'm glad you don't want gary sinise - he's mine. You have jon stewart.

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

Maggie, he *was* on my list until yesterday! :) I'd love to ask him what was going through his head to make him take that job.

• paigect
    18 years ago

I'm a total sap these days, too. Music does it for me more than movies. I posted on another thread that I can't make it through the John Denver and the Muppets Christmas cd with dry eyes. And atsmith, I have never been able to listen to "Puff" without crying. Nor can I listen to (or, apparently, think about) our old Pete Seeger cd, Children's Concert at Town Hall, because it was DS' favorite and we had little routines worked out to many of the songs on our long, long trip between CT and where I went to law school. I buy that CD now for all of the people I know who are having babies. Sniff.

• meskauskas
    18 years ago

Oh my...you don't know how much better you have all made me feel. I had to turn off the car radio today because they started playing "Silent Night", sung by the Mormon Tabernacle Choir and I started to cry in the car.

I also can't get through It's a Wonderful Life, A Christmas Carol, Oliver, or Little Lord Fauntelroy without kleenex..just to name a few.

• MariposaTraicionera
    18 years ago

Home Alone is my son's favourite. We watch it together every year, and of course I end up crying as well.

• jerzeegirl
    18 years ago

Are you kidding, even "Bad Santa" makes me cry! That last scene with the stuffed elephant....boohoo!

• jfrorelo
    18 years ago

I cry at just about every movie. I drag my dd to any kids film that comes out, the sappier the better, because I love them!

I also tear up at parades when the old veterans march by in uniform. I was at a funeral a few years back and they played Puff the Magic Dragon during the service.

• sweeby
    18 years ago

OMG! I'm tearing up reading this thread!

The German's have a name for this tendency - it's called "Built near the water"

If only my real estate were...

• paulines
    18 years ago

atsmith~Your post made me tear up!

I credit my weepiness to menopause-lol

• atsmith
    18 years ago

FlyLeft - I just checked it out and I am all teary!

But I also discovered this site that posts all the comics. . .excellent. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: comic archive

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

atsmith~Your post made me tear up!
    I credit my weepiness to menopause-lol

Yeah? What's MY excuse!! LMAO

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

atsmith, I think that Zits comic is a keeper for the ages. They got it *right*...DD's baby years seem so accessible to me, but not to her at all, evidently. She's forgotten a lot of it. She's really growing and becoming a person and it was all *just a short while ago*...

• bungalowbees
    18 years ago

Ivette, anything my kid does that is a ritual or right of passage or maybe just the essence of normal can make me tear up. I often wonder why this isn't true for everyone. Childhood is fleeting and any of its moments make me cry simply because the moment will never return and it's all so wonderful.

I'm never without tissue, seriously.

When my daughter was 4 she handed me a favorite picture book and said "We can read this one but no crying!" Even that brought tears!

• sherilynn
    18 years ago

I'm not usually a weeper about handling my own life except in times of frustrations, for the most part. But put me in front of a movie like old Cary Grant movie The Bishop's Wife where we can see a real life example of how angels walk in and out of our lives, it gives me a quickening that can warm my soul. I've watched it three times already this week. Last night, I was watching it again with my 14 year old son....finishing at 2 AM!!!

• paigect
    18 years ago

I'm with you athomein1914. DS' fifth grade graduation will be this year. I won't be wearing mascara that day!

• spacific
    18 years ago

Count me in Ivette,
    I started sniveling when Zeke came out in his school concert, doing 8 Drummers Drumming! DH looked at me and said "you're crazy", but I noticed he was on the verge of tears as well.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

Spacific-- Us DH's are like that!! How do you expect US to be able to hide it if everyone's not looking at YOU!! LOL

• hamptonmeadow
    18 years ago

I never cry anymore. It's my new Prozac personality.

• librarymom03
    18 years ago

When I was pregnant, I cried at movies, when I watched TV, (episodes of Dallas) sad songs, my poor DH was just bewildered he expected post partum depression!

After DD was born I was fine!

Go figure!

• pirula
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi all!! So glad I have friends in teary land, male and female!!

I reached a new low yesterday. Watched Polar Express with DS for the first time and was sniffly all over. He even asked me "Mommy, why are you sad??" Oh brother.

Ivette

• paigect
    18 years ago

Ivette, I just thought of another one - - I cry while reading DS the Harry Potter books. Especially the end of the fourth - - I could barely speak the words aloud, I was crying so hard. DS pretends not to notice. ;-)

• sweeby
    18 years ago

Try 'Where the Red Fern Grows' -- I couldn't even read the first couple of pages because I knew what was coming... At least DH is the same way ;-)

• Seasyde
    18 years ago

How about Charlotte's Web? I've also given up watching any movies with animals in them. I just get too choked up, even with (especially with!) happy endings.

• romy2004
    18 years ago

Just about anything does it for me - movies, television shows, music. You would think I was the one having the baby on the TLC series, "Baby Story" because I'm crying along with the new parents.

I, too, cry with Christmas songs. Two, especially, do it to me: Kenny Rogers, "A Child Is Born" and Nat King Cole's, "A Christmas Song". I also bawl during the Nativity scene at the "Radio City Christmas Show". When I see the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, I choke up. I really am hopeless.