Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cupofkindness

A Question About Buying Non-Stick Cookware: Is any of it safe????

cupofkindness
17 years ago

Well, teflon was officially classified as a carcinogenic-type substance this past year, along with most hot dogs, so I got rid of my non-stick griddle and omelette pan (and we've stopped eating hotdogs as well). But what should I use now? Are manufacturers using verifiably safe non-stick coatings in their cookware? Also, are the coatings on gourmet quality cookware safer? Or are these coatings more apt to stay in place over time and use but essentially the same chemicals? High end non-stick cookware is very expensive. But is it safer for my family? Is any goverment agency overseeing this issue?

I'd appreciate any answers or suggestions on what to purchase, or links to more information. Thanks in advance!

Comments (34)

• eandhl
    17 years ago

I am interested in any responses you get. I worry about these things too but I have one All Clad SS non stick fry pan. Great for eggs or something with cheese. Both of which we rarely eat. I justify using the pan because neither need high heat which I understand is one of the major problems with non stick.

• sjerin
    17 years ago

And lotsa oil, which is also a problem. My nonstick that is supposted to be very hard and have had for a year is losing its coating--uh-oh.

• sue36
    17 years ago

I have only 1 teflon pan, a All-Clad frying pan. I was under the impression that the issue with teflon was scratching it or high heat. Is that not the case now? We only use wood or black plastic on the non-stick.

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wonder if I should call Calphalon and ask about their non-stick. Maybe a higher end manufacturer could shed some light on this matter. I wonder if I should call Calphalon and ask about their non-stick. I have Calphalon tri-ply stainless, but I can't seem to get the eggs out of the pan without a lot of sticking.

Sjerin: Is a lot of oil a problem with teflon? Why? Thanks!

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

Cup, have you thought about investing in some cast-iron pans? Lodge makes (new) ones and flea markets and garage sales are a great source for used, pre-seasoned pans that only take a little spiffing up.

I started my collection with a raid on the Boy Scout trunk downstairs. The high iron content works well on my induction cooktop and after using cast iron for awhile I am a big fan. Properly seasoned, it is non-stick. After the pan has cooled, fill with warm water, bring just to a boil and remove from the cooktop. Pour out water and WIPE out with a scrubbie pad. Dry and set back on burner to dry pan completely. Swipe with a tiny bit if Crisco, wipe out and store stacked separted by paper towels.

Teflon scares me- haven't used it in years. Cast iron sounds like some work, but it really isn't. No soap, ever, on those pans. Caveat- still not perfect for frying eggs unless they're swimming in bacon grease- yum! But that's another kind of scary!

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

I asked Calphalon that very question prior to purchasing my fry pan. They said that they use a special coating that is not harmful. I was also concerned about the link between aluminum and Alzheimers. They said their cookware was not harmful in either case. I really don't remember their exact explanation.
    Donna

• eandhl
    17 years ago

I may be mistaken but I believe the regular Calphalon that is anodized - is not a coating. It is a process that buffs the aluminum to a harder surface not an added coating. I too only use wood or silicone in my one AC non stick pan, never on high heat and no dishwasher, no scratches in 4-5 yrs.

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

eandhl,
    This may be the one I have, I'm not sure.
    Donna

Here is a link that might be useful: here is a link that might be helpful

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks for all of the replies. Pecan, I have a ceran top cook top and I'm reluctant to use cast iron on it for fear of the pan slipping and cracking the glass. The cost of replacing the glass would be almost as much as the entire cooktop, so I'd be out hundreds of dollars. Although I must say that I love the Lodge cast iron pots and pans I see in The Great Indoors. They're gorgeous and look fun to cook with. I'm in the process of acquiring Calphalon Tri-Ply. I love my pair of 10" omelette pans,especially for frying food, but eggs just don't come out of the pan in one piece. So this morning at The Great Indoors, armed with a gift card and a coupon, I bought the 12" nonstick skillet. I won't use it until I talk to Calphalon next week. Donna, the pans you linked are the smaller sizes of the pan I purchased. I guess I should read the information that came with my pan. Perhaps it's anodized. That would be very cool, but I think it's a non-stick surface applied to the stainless.

And now I'm wondering if I should pitch my George Foreman Grill. It uses high heat and the coating is visibily rubbing away. It did come with a plastic spatula. I can cook burgers in my 10" omelette pans.... Also, even my bread machine has a coated pan (not to my other baking pans) and even the paddle that kneads the dough is coated with non-stick.

I did find some nice but fairly inexpensive white melamine utensils on-line that I'm using in my Tri-Ply. Is melamine safe for non-stick?

And thanks again for all of your thoughtful replies. Have a great day!

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

cup, are you talking about the sodium nitrite connection? If so, or even if you're talking about mainstream-raised animal meat, there are great uncured, "humanely" raised and slaughtered beef hot dogs available at Whole Foods kinds of stores (how they kill a hot dog and still have it look that good is beyond me, but... :)). We regularly eat a brand called Country Natural Beef that's only up here which is just *unbelievably* good, but there are nationwide brands available as well. I hated hot dogs until I ate these.

• sjerin
    17 years ago

Cup: I just meant that most of us don't use as much oil anymore as is necessary to cook at higher temps in non-coated pans; I'm just thinking of heart health, not an interaction with teflon. I do believe though that it's a bad idea to use coated pans on high heat, which I have to do for some of our cooking. I think I've put my head in the sand! As for cast iron, I can't bear not to use soap and hot water on the pan, which defeats the whole idea of seasoned cast iron. I try it from time to time but mess up the seasoning every time. The older I get, the more cynical I get about businesses, so I doubt the Calphalon company will give you any warnings. I'm sure that if you use it on medium heat it will be fine.

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flyleft:

Thanks for the tip about hot dogs. My children love them, but no more Ball Park Franks for us. I need to go to Whole Foods in the next few days, so I'll look for hot dogs, the brand you mentioned.

OT, but we have a brand new Whole Foods in Dallas. It is an amazing store. The shelf price tags are like calculator faces (electronic display, not paper tags), and a touch of a button on a computer in the managers office changes the prices via wireless throughout the store. The shelf labels are powered by the electric strip they're mounted on. Very cool. Of course, I'm paying for all of that high tech stuff. Which is why I only buy what I need there, like fresh flax oil, hard-to-find produce, and now, organic hot dogs.

Also, for those of you in Texas/Oklahoma and perhaps Kansas and Arkansas, Braums milk is hormone/antibiotic free (I asked via email and this was Braum's answer), but I doubt that the cows eat grain/grass that is pesticide free. We did a side-by-side comparison test of Braums and Whole Foods organic milk and prefered the Braums. I don't understand why they don't tout their milk as antibiotic/hormone free. It even has more calcium.

Lastly, my new Calphalon non-stick pan is coated (not anodized) and oven/stove-top safe to 450°. No mention in the how-to-care-for -your-new-pan instructions what the coating is made of. I'll find out next week.

Well, that's all the news that's fit to print. Time to start undecorating our Christmas tree.

Thanks again!

• shequit
    17 years ago

I am happy to see this discussion. I received 'gift cards' for kitchen equip stores for Christmas and need help with decisions. I have been cooking with Farberware which I received as a wedding gift - 38 years ago!!! Yes, it is true. I am trying to post a link which I found on google so this is also a bit of a 'test' post. If it does not come up, please, I beg your pardon.

Here is a link that might be useful: safest cookware

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Great link, shequit. And you are not alone. I just gave away about 14 or so pieces of Farberware a couple of weeks ago since I'm getting the Calphalon. I've had my Farberware for about 18 years.

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

cup, the brand I mentioned is only available in our area...but there is also Niman Bros. that's nationwide, I think, and others. Sometimes they're in the butcher area rather than in a pre-packaged area.

And interesting about the pricing signs. We ain' got that newfangled stuff up our neck o' the woods yet :)

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

We will be in Dallas for soccer games this winter. Between games, everyone else runs to Neiman's- I fill my ice chests at Central Market. And you're telling me there's a new temptation for me, cup? Be still my beating heart!

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pecan:

This Whole Foods reminds me of Central Market, the layout is similar (you have to go all the way through the produce section to get anywhere else). The new Whole Foods is on Preston/Forest (near 635 and the tollway). The selection of prepared foods/deli/fresh meat/cheeses/seafood/baked goods is incredible. It's next to a two-story JoAnn's, another pleasure palace for me. In any case, where do you play soccer? Greenville Avenue? Have you seen the new Nordstrom's yet? North Park Mall is officially over-the-top now. And there's Sur La Table downtown. Let me know when you'll be around.

Fly, you're right about the brand: I couldn't find your hot dogs at my WF! I couldn't find any hotdogs whatsoever, and the refridgerated section of the store was so cold that I didn't want to hand around and look. So we had tomato soup for dinner, plus WF french bread. Next time, I'll look for hot dogs when I have more than a pair of shorts and a long sleeved tee-shirt on. Thanks again!

• snookums
    17 years ago

I too heard this a while back and have been kind of waiting to see what will wind up to be the "safe" yet quality preferred brand. I've got a combination of Farberware, Caphalon, and Circulon. All of it is pretty beat up so I'm ready for something new. I do like the Circulon - is that coated with teflon or something else? What's all the fuss with All-Clad about?

BTW - another new federal carcinogen - TALC. Check your baby powder - use pure cornstarch only. Also check the brand of Iron you take - Slow Fe has talc in it.

Also another tidbit about hotdogs and nitrites. It's not just hotdogs that have this - it's the majority of processed deli sliced meats. There are a few kinds that don't - mostly the "Oven Roasted" or "Oven Baked" varieties of Butterball and one other brand I can't recall. All of the smoked and most other varieties have nitrites.

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

I am in the market for new pots and pans too. I have used teflon/non-stick for my entire adult life and keeping it looking nice is getting very old.

My Mom bought a set of stainless steel when she was married in '45 and she still has the same set and it looks great.

Lately, I've been buying odd pieces of cookware and so far I love Anolon Commercial Tri-Clad and I bought a 3qt sauce pan for $10 at TJMaxx. Just this Sat. I bought 2 Trimontina tri-clad sauce pans, took both back on Sun., they did not hold a candle to Anolon. I have not been able to find the Anolon Commercial line on the internet so maybe it is discontinued? I've heard that Trimontina makes the Tri-clad cookware set sold at Sam's and I am going to check it out soon.

I know that many of the cooking forum prefer LeCrueset. I love the colors of LeCrueset but it is so expensive and it does chip easily.

I "had" an entire set of Griswold Cast Iron that I had collected from Tag Sales but DH did not like it and so I sold it right after we were married and I regret it. But this year for Christmas I bought DH a small Lodge cast iron soup pot and so far we both love it. I've made soup 3 times in it and it is just wonderful! No fussy special tools to use cast iron and you don't have to worry about anything chipping, just wash it out with soapy water and dry and it just fine. I can't wait to get a larger cast iron soup pot.

Interested to hear if anyone else has used the Tri-Clad set from Sam's or any other brands of Tri-Clad.

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I love my Calphalon tri-ply because the handles stay cool, are ergonomically easy to hold and lift, and the domed tempered glass lids let me see what's happening in my pot, even when there is condensed moisture on the inside of the lid. Also, store coupons from places like Macy's, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Linens and Things apply to Calphalon (not All-Clad however). However, since tri-ply isn't Calphalon's flagship line of cookware, there are less choices available in the true tri-ply. For example, there is no double boiler/steamer insert for any of the sauce pans. All-Clad is available in just about any pot/pan imaginable in any size and shape. That is a very good thing. All-Clad is induction capable. However, All-Clad is two or three times the price of Calphalon, and I find the handles difficult to hold (I think pro chefs must hold their cookware differently than I do...) and balance the vessel with. If I were to buy All-Clad, I think I'd get it at Williams Sonoma because the prices are comparable to anywhere else (since you can't use a coupon) and Williams Sonoma has outstanding customer service. Plus Williams Sonoma carries just about everything All-Clad makes in all four metal finishes. It's fun to go to Williams Sonoma and just look at the All-Clad. It's gorgeous. For more information about Sam's cookware, check the cookware forum. Lots of discussion about the Trimontina products.

OT, but here's a link to my favorite Calphalon pan.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calphalon Tri-Ply Everyday Pan

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

snookums, we haven't eaten cold cuts for ages because the nitrite-free kind are so darn expensive at WF, but we're so lucky in that there is the most amazing smoked turkey that appeared at a normal-budget grocery store... it's the most expensive thing they have (still less than Whole Foods), and it tastes like I just took it out of my imaginary backyard smokehouse. Just amazing. Not flaked and formed, real turkey breast, real smoke, no nitrite or preservatives...if anyone can find this, I'd highly recommend trying it. Just make sure that the person actually gives you this product, as the company makes loads of others that are not all-natural.

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Choice applewood smoked turkey

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

Oh Cup....I do like that Everyday pan and understand why it's call "Everyday"! I know what you mean about the handles not feeling quite right. One reason I picked up the $10 Anolon Sauce Pan at TJMaxx was because the handle was unique and I just love how it fits my hand and it too stays cool when the pot is on the stove. But like I said I think the Anolon Commercial line is discontinued which is a shame. As usual I am on the back end of things!

• snookums
    17 years ago

Anyone know anything about the Kirkland All-Clad at Costco?

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Flyleft:

I'll look for that turkey breast. Where do you shop? I basically have a Safeway, Kroger, and Albertons, plus of course Super Target and Walmart. And isn't Walmart beginning to promote organic foods? But in what country are they grown? That is the issue with everything Walmart sells.

Msafirstein: I love my Calphalon everyday pan. It's fabulous. I have one burner on my ceran glass cooktop that gets really hot (its a large double burner), even at lower settings. Besides a stock sort of pot for boiling water, this is the only pan that I have that can handle with the heat and cook the food with beautifully. Plus, this pan goes straight to the table (as does all my Calphalon tri-ply, it's so pretty) and is easy for everyone around the table to serve themselves from.

Snookums: On the cookware forum Kirkland all-clad gets great reviews. Definitely worth looking into. If the lids are glass, make sure the glass is tempered. Usually if the glass isn't tempered, it has a small metal riveted-grommet hole in the lid to allow steam to escape. I would avoid any cookware with glass lids that are not tempered.

• snookums
    17 years ago

That's good to know. I'm going to check it out next time I'm at Costco.

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

cup, I have double-checked our schedule- we are playing in FW and Houston this winter--but not Dallas! I'm disappointed!

I will give you a shout if I make it down this spring.

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Pecan:

Thanks for the update. I'm disappointed as well. I thought we could have lunch at Sample House, which is close-ish to the Moss Farm fields, if that's where you might have had your tournament. It's a sweet little shop that sells gift items and kitchen things, Crocs, baby gifts, candles, gift wrap, cute pet stuff and lots of other unusual things. It's a fun place to wander around. They have a little restaurant called the Soup Shop in the store that's open from 11-2 every day (except Sundays). Lake Highlands High School seems like another soccer tournament location, but I know that there are fields everywhere (I've been to most of them). Keep me posted if your plans change. Thank you.

Fly: Someone told me that Hormel is making nitrate-free lunch meat. This friend also told me that Monsanto "invented" sodium nitrate, which is a preservative, and that Monsanto knows this substance causes cancer, but Monsanto makes so much money off of sodium nitrate that it does everything possible to make certain that it stays on the market. How sad.

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

Oh, I could tell you stories about Monsanto. That's just the tip of the iceberg. Hormel's not got very clean hands either, but nothing compared to Monsanto. When you feel like it, google them...

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

p.s. In fact, I remember that the jennie-o line *is* Hormel (a division), so that might be what the person who told you about Hormel making nitrite-free meats is referring to? Or maybe they're doing it in a Hormel-label line as well.

And I'd try Kroger, believe it or not, for the Jennie-O. I think the store I get it at was bought out by Kroger but they keep the old name for local recognition.

• MariposaTraicionera
    17 years ago

What about Le Creuset cookware? We got some that does not have the teflon coating, but you do need to oil liberally so stuff won't stick. I'd rather gain a few ounces on my body from extra virgin olive oil though.

• cupofkindness
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mari:

I don't know about Le Creuset firsthand, but it also gets wonderful reviews on the Cookware forum. People love Le Creuset. I have two gorgeous trivets that look like snowflakes. Nice and heavy too.

And... my favorite Calphalon tri-ply pan, which I linked above, went from $59 to $159 in the past week! I think many of the Calphalon tri ply pieces are getting more expensive. The 8 qt. stock pot also went up in price about $100 at Macy's and Amazon as well. Egads. Time to finish my set.

• c9pilot
    17 years ago

Nobody mentioned ScanPan?
    These are ceramic non-stick, NOT a coating, but very expensive. You can even use metal utensils, although not recommended.
    While teflon may be safe to ingest, the fumes that it puts out if overheated is toxic to birds. Can't be good for people, either.

• msafirstein
    17 years ago

Cup, I checked out the Calphalon Tri-Ply several times in the past 2 weeks and it is VERY nice. I would like to test a Calphalon Frying Pan but so far have not found 1 at a good price.

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!