Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maddiemom6

Back from the hospital

maddiemom6
17 years ago

Hi all,

Just a quick shout while I change clothes and make sure the kids have eaten. My Dh had heart surgery this morning. Things got a bit hairy for a while but all was good in the end. This does mean yet another break on working on the kitchen but when it comes to having my guy well and alive I can live with my undone kitchen forever!

Maddie

Comments (24)

• demicent
    17 years ago

Maddie,

You will be amazed at how quickly your husband recuperates from his surgery. My 77 year old Mom had a triple bypass one month ago and she is recovering nicely, even though she has a host of other health problems.

Best wishes to you both.

• mitchdesj
    17 years ago

all the best to you, glad to hear it was a good day, wishing you strength and health.

• acoreana
    17 years ago

Wishes for a speedy recovery,

Nat

• caflowerluver
    17 years ago

It is not easy having someone you love ill or hurt. You feel so helpless. Sending you my best wishes for a speedy recovery.
    Clare

• DYH
    17 years ago

Don't know the reason for the surgery, but I know several folks with bypasses that feel so much better after the recovery.

Wishing the best for you and your family. Hang in there and take care of yourself, too.

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

I'm so sorry, Maddie!

File this away for future reference- depression is very common 1-2 months post-op. Especially in men- and hard to diagnose because they won't admit not feeling 'perfect'.

Dad did great his first OHS, after his second, 22 years later, he didn't bathe, didn't shave and rarely got dressed. He told Mom he was fine and being the queen of denial, she didn't push it. I had to get on a plane, drag him to the doctor and insist on an evaluation.

WATCH HIM! I know you will, but be aware of this.

• paigect
    17 years ago

Maddie, we're all pulling for a speedy recovery. Now that he's out of the woods try to find some time for a soak in a bubble bath. If you're anything like me you will need a little downtime now that the worst is over to calm your nerves. Take care!

• eandhl
    17 years ago

Maddie, sending wishes for a complete, speedy recovery for your DH.

• bill_vincent
    17 years ago

Hey Maddie-- I'm glad to hear everything turned out okay.

:-)

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

Maddie,
    Wishing your DH a speedy recovery.
    Donna

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks everyone!... Brought him home this morning.. took longer to get my car fixed than him! *grin*.. he is resting and hanging with the little boys so all is good.

I got a look at his angiography (sp?) and they showed me the few places of concern above and beyond what he had done ( which was an electrical problem).. so things are going to change around here.. new foods and all.

Maddie

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

Maddie,
    One thing I am is a healthy eater, hence organic donna. Do a complete food overhaul. Replace the snack foods with fruits and vegatables. Lots of Salmon and all the colors of the rainbow in fruits and vegetables. A good thing to try and do is eat one food from each color group every day. Purple, green, white, red, yellow, and orange. Eat less meat and more beans and tofu. It's hard at first because many foods are addictive. Once you eat natural foods for a while you lose most of the cravings.
    My cholesteral is very high. It was 317!! It's hereditary.
    Donna

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Donna,
    Thanks for the thoughts.. we already spend a fortune on fruits and veggies and don't really eat *snack food*..chips. cookies, etc. My down fall is going to be butter and sauces, I use to be a personal chef in the french style.. think wonderful sauces, butter, whipped cream etc. I am afraid that has spilled over into my home life and will be the hardest to shuck.. it can be done of course and mostly we work on an Andrew Weil sort of food thing.. but add the good stuff. So one change per week in my goal... we shall see how it goes!

maddie

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

maddie,
    I do a lot of pastas with "heavy cream" sauces but I don't use cream. I LOVE Silk brand soy milk. It is a great substitute for heavy cream, I use it to make potrabella mushroom strogenoff. The only problem is it's made with soy beans so you can warm it but if it breaks a simmer it will separate and become watery. I add a little "Frontera Grill Red Pepper Sesame" sauce to the Silk and it makes a wonderful sauce. That is my secret weapon. Also I take plain non fat yogurt and turn it upside down in a coffee filter overnight to drain the water out. Add that to the strogenoff. I don't need to add butter to these sauces. I love to add goats milk feta cheese to my sauce.
    You sound like a very experience cook, you will be able to make the correct substitutions.
    Donna

• susan209
    17 years ago

Boy oh Boy,what at thing to have to go through at the holiday season but glad to hear that he's doing better now. I know several people who have had stints put in because of narrowing arteries and some who have had OHS and all are doing well. With your family, kitchen and holidays, you really do have your hands full......chin up and all that and this too shall pass. Happy Holidays.

• angelcub
    17 years ago

(((Maddie and DH))) Happy to hear all went well and wishing your DH a speedy recovery. Be sure to take care of you, too. Sometimes we forget that as care givers.

Sending positive thoughts of healing,
    Diana

PS: Donna, thanks for the Silk tip!

• seekingadvice
    17 years ago

Oh Maddie, I'm sorry I missed this earlier! Please add my hearfelt wishes for your dh's quick recovery and good health to all of these other wonderful posters'. I do hope you are doing ok yourself--I know it's very stressful when a loved one is experiencing health issues. Take good care of yourself!!

• paulines
    17 years ago

How's he doing, Maddie?

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you everyone for your thoughts and the tip about the Soy milk.. I will give that a try. Love the idea of the yogurt for thickening.. I do the same thing with cheese cloth to make greek style gurt for a sauce that I have for some some curried lamb on a stick so I totally understand how that would be very good.

I am doing my best to stay on an even keel but it's messing a bit with my Diabetes and my Lupus but that is to be expected. I did something TOTALLY for myself today.. I went and goofed off at my locacl yarn shop and bought some expensive yarn.. so tonight I am going to watch a moving and KNIT!

Maddie

• kptwin
    17 years ago

Maddie,
    I joined shortly after the post of his original heart attack. I am a critical care nurse who is amazed always at the bodies resiliance (sp?). I can also vouch for the amazing healing powers of lots of love :). I am really glad you are taking sometime for yourself, please continue to do so. Sending a cyberhug...
    Kirsten

• jillypie
    17 years ago

Maddie,
    You certainly have a lot on your plate. I didn't know about your own health issues. Never would have known from all your kitchen posts. You have always displayed a great attitude toward life and family. I wish you all the best for the coming holiday and your DH's recovery.
    Jillypie

• leahcate
    17 years ago

I echo jillypie...and how unselfish you always are to reply to posts seeking help or ideas. Your spirit and attitude are a example to me! Best wishes to you and your family.

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

Maddie, I posted about depression thinking your DH had undergone a bypass. The information may not be applicable to his surgery (pacemaker?) but watch him carefully anyway and take care of yourself!

• maddiemom6
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all,

Dang, my life just needs to SLOW down. Dh is doing well but Sunday morning he woke up and it was plain to see that the depression had hit him like a ton of bricks. Mind you that is even a bit funny since he is a shrink and knew it could happen but did not think it would happen to HIM!

With lots of TLC he is feeling better and the last of the site pain is better. Which is good since I am searching the calender for a good day to pencil in my breakdown ;-)

Thanks for all the nice comments.. I do my best to keep up and keep moving and that is a great help with the Lupus symptoms. You know the funny part was that for years no one caught it that it was the *L* that I was dealing with. It was only after the death of one of our children that one doc started to piece things toghter. Mind you.. once all the facts were together it was pretty plain and it turns out I had been flaring since I was in about 8th grade!! .. such is life. I always figure that there are others with less than me and more hardship so I need to suck it up and get on with life and walk this earth to help others.

I finked out tonight on the dinner thing and just got salads from a local deli since I was tired.. but I am still looking at new ways to eat... funny really since I have been actually DREAMING about Holandaise sauce!!!!

Maddie