Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lowspark1

Let's talk movies

lowspark
17 years ago

Getting into the party spirit, I thought we could start an ongoing conversation about movies. The idea is, just post a movie review whenever you see something, either at the movies or on video or on TV or whatever. New movies, old movies, foreign movies, whatever!

I'll start:

About Adam

I watched this movie on dvd because I'm on a Kate Hudson kick. This was a very cute and entertaining movie.

Speaking of Kate Hudson, I'll also comment on a couple of others of hers. Le Divorce, I thought was ok, but nothing spectacular. And although I'm not normally a fan of occult type movies, I thought Skeleton Key was very good!

At the movies, I recently saw Déjà Vu with Denzel Washington, good movie, Twilight Zone-esque.

Comments (32)

• uxorial
    17 years ago

We just watched Big Daddy again for the umpteenth time. DH is a fan of Adam Sandler, so we've seen all his movies at least once. I think Big Daddy is one of his best--the casting is just perfect. I still laugh at that movie, and I don't even have kids! In fact, the other day DH said that the cat barfed upstairs, so I felt compelled to ask him if he cleaned it up or just covered it with newspaper. :)

I'm a Denzel fan, so I'm glad to hear that Deja Vu is good. A lot of his movies have been on TV lately, probably as promo for Deja Vu.

Has anyone seen Borat?

• ctremodler
    17 years ago

We recently went to see Stranger than Fiction. I loved this movie and can't wait for it to come out on DVD so I can watch it again. It was a great reminder that sometimes we get so caught up in our anal routines that we forget to just let things in life happen.

My daughter and I also like to watch Pride & Prejudice movies. We love the Kiera Knightly version and the Bollywood version.

Today I could really go for a huge snow storm that traps us in our house and all we could do is hunker down and watch movies and eat treats.

• caflowerluver
    17 years ago

Not really a movie but I have been recording then watching the next day the mini series on the Scifi channel, "The Lost Room". I love mysteries and this has a science fiction type twist. It hooked me from the beginning. Today I am going to watch the conclusion I recorded earlier.
    Clare

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

I never go to the movies and I don't have a DVD yet. The movies that I want to see are "Dreamgirls", Charlotte's Web" and the movie with Cameron Diaz, where the two women switch lives. I heard the first two movies are fabulous.
    donna

• lowspark
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I saw Borat. Yes, extremely offensive -- if you get offended at that kind of stuff, stay away. For me, I don't care and I definitely found myself laughing out loud throughout the movie. Although I didn't want to admit it because the humor is mainly sophomoric, but heck, it's funny.

I also saw Stranger than Fiction, interesting concept, cute movie but for me, nothing that special.

Just watched Bewitched with Nicole Kidman, I love her! The movie wasn't as bad as I thought it would be based on the bad reviews, I found it lightly amusing. I should admit, though, that if it had been anyone other than Nicole, I might not have been as amused.

• alexrander
    17 years ago

"THE RED SHOES"
    I saw a documentary called "Ballet Russes" and that made me want to see the old Powell/Presburger film about ballet called "The Red Shoes",from 1948 (in color), so I bought the DVD, and lent it around, and now all my friends are saying how much they love it.

• bunglogrl
    17 years ago

I watched "The Devil Wears Prada" last night. It was laugh-out-loud funny and not as shallow as I expected. Meryl Streep does a wonderful job (as usual).

I agree about "Skeleton Key" it was surprisingly good - but too spooky to watch alone!

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

uxorial, you're a Denzel fan? I am too, OH yeah. When I think of him my two favorites are Malcolm X (in a serious way) and Mississippi Masala in a YUM way...I could stand to see either of those again sometime...?

And not exactly a movie, but if anyone's interested in an unequalled experience of the ocean, the "Blue Planet" series on AP (or available on DVD) is just jawdropping. It's a multi-part documentary narrated by one of the Attenboroughs...things that have never been captured on film before--the deepest depths, under the ice, etc... It's one of those things I think everyone should just *have* in their libraries because we need to know more about our planet, not to mention that the visuals are worth it in and of themselves, even for kids who can't understand everything that's being said (there are some attack parts moms might want to screen first).

I'd like to see Borat mostly because of the actions of the folks he encounters. I hear at least one of them has sued. Takes huge pierogies or whatever the Kazak equivalent is to do some of those things he did to strangers with a straight face...

• jillypie
    17 years ago

If you are Denzel fans two good, early films are "Glory" and "The Mighty Quinn."
    I always loved "St. Elsewhere" too.
    I must have seen "Red Shoes" some 20 times, as a kid. We were staying in a motel in Florida that had a drive-in movie outside my window and every nite I watched it again- no sound of course! Moira Shearer, right?

• fairegold
    17 years ago

Yes, I agree about Malcolm X, a brilliant movie all the way. I'm a Spike Lee fan, too, but haven't watched Inside Man yet. It's on my list, tho.

We just watched Thank You For Smoking, about a lobbyist for the tobacco industry, VERY funny, but satirical and droll.

If you get a chance, go see The Queen with Helen Mirren. Wow. Simply WOW. You believe that she is the Queen. It's an incredible movie.

• gfiliberto
    17 years ago

We just saw "Pursuit of HappYness". It was great! Sad and uplifting. My DH and I were both crying.

"It's a Wonderful Life" is my all time favorite!

• nancylee_ky
    17 years ago

I watched "Rain Man" recently. Dustin Hoffman is so great in this movie - really inspiring. Also been watching the "Christmas" type movies on LifeTime channel. Most are not so good.

• fairegold
    17 years ago

We saw The World's Fastest Indian tonight and loved it. DH wants me to buy a copy so he can watch it often. And coming from him, the guy with a film library of maybe 10 discs, that's saying a LOT! It was great.

• jillypie
    17 years ago

For a unique family movie, see "Little Miss Sunshine"

• uxorial
    17 years ago

Ocean's Eleven has been on TV this week. (Has anyone seen the original? I saw it years ago, before the remake came out.)

I may be a Denzel fan, but then again:

{{gwi:1552271}}

*sigh*

• User
    17 years ago

Tonight, Christmas Eve, I'm watching "I Remember Mama" on TCM, with Irene Dunne and Barbara Bel Geddes, among others. It's one of my favorite movies, it's how I imagine my parents childhoods were, both children of hardworking Scandinavian immigrants in New England. My grandparents were wonderful people, as were my parents, and this movie reminds me why. Decent, kind people raise decent, kind children. We have to keep passing that legacy on through the generations.

• fairegold
    17 years ago

ANd the tom cat named Elizabeth.... We were watching, too, before the news came on and we switched channels.

Tonight's movie, "Wordplay", which I saw in the theater, but Jim hasn't seen. Very good.

• jillypie
    17 years ago

Anyone remember "I Remember Mama" on TV? The Christmas show when the animals spoke? Loved that show!

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

Well you know what? We spent a lot of yesterday watching Zeffirelli's "Jesus of Nazareth", a *gem* from the 70s, on the History Channel. Amazing how well-done and nuanced it was, in terms of dialogue, acting, and cinematography. And uxorial, those guys couldn't hold a candle to young Michael York's John the Baptist--an all-cricket diet never looked so good on anyone, my, my my... (is that sacrilegious? :), although you could see the spit hit the camera and I could practically smell him from our family room...) I don't intend this as a proselytizing kind of post, I mean we're not even Christian, it's just that the film was *so good* (and I come by my pickiness professionally) that it's worth watching no matter what your religion, or lack thereof.

We liked it so much, didn't plan to sit and watch all 6 hours of it but we just couldn't stop; we wanted to see how they'd handle all the big moments and the film's takes on them were fascinating and thought-provoking, sometimes hilarious, accessible to all ages but definitely subtle enough to appeal to insatiable analysts. 9 y.o. DD even wants to borrow it from the library to study it more.

I was bothered by the sexism, though, but Anne Bancroft's character (Mary Magdalene) did a good job of pointing it out. Strong performances throughout, kind of a spot-the-star thing where really famous actors would suddenly appear (Laurence Olivier as Nicodemus--heartbreaking). Another thing that stood out for me is that it's the only "period piece" film I can think of offhand in which the costumes don't look hilariously out-of-date now, like they were "Egypt via roaring 20s" or "medieval England via swinging 60s", iykwim. One thing that also was amazing was how little Jesus ever blinks. I kept wondering how Robert Powell did that...

Here is a link that might be useful: some comments on the film

• fairegold
    17 years ago

That's a classic movie, and I like your commentary.

However, tonight we plan to watch "The Commitments" to honor the late Very Great James Brown, the Godfather of Soul. As they say in the movie, the Irish are the black of Europe, and the Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland, and I'm black and I'm proud.

(Talk about a jump of subjects!)

• reno_fan
    17 years ago

(For some reason, every time I type an apostrophe, a search window pops up at the bottom of the screen. I am unable to type ANY apostrophes, and I cannot figure out why! So please ignore my grammatical errors.....)

I too was surprised by Skeleton Key. My whole family loves it, and thats not our usual genre!

Invincble with Mark Wahlberg is probably one of the best movies Ive seen this year. We got it for Christmas and watched it again last night. Im not a big Mark Wahlberg fan (I remember him from his "funky bunch" days....), but I have to say he was really good in this.

Has anyone seen the new Rocky yet?

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

reno, YES re the weird apostrophe phenomenon! I've typed so many posts with "I can not" and "It would not" and it's so irritating! I don't know why it happens--I am wondering if it's that I hit something on the keyboard by accident? Does anyone know?

I like Mark Wahlberg actually from Boogie Nights--he was much better in that than I thought he'd be. He's under-rated-I don't remember the "funky bunch" days, so that's probably a plus :)

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

spooky...I just went to check what the funky bunch was and read that he was a scheduled passenger on Flight 93 (9/11). Meaningless celebrity factoid, but I can imagine that would stick with me if it were the case in my life...

• tkln
    17 years ago

Just saw Invincible last night and would have to agree - great movie. Finally saw Million Dollar Baby a few weeks ago - thought that was excellent...also saw Cars (finally!) and enjoyed that too...

• lowspark
    Original Author
    17 years ago

The Red Shoes -- Yes, I saw that recently. What a fascinating movie!

ux, Yes, I saw the original Ocean's Eleven way back when. It was really good, and although I liked the remake, the original was, well, original!

momj47 - I remember mama -- I agree, great movie. I love the old old movies like that!

If we're talking Christmas movies (yeah it's late but who cares?), my all time favorite is Miracle on 34th street - the original. I love that movie because at the end you realize he really IS santa! (I'm Jewish by the way but I still love that.)

Recently watched Match Point -- that was a good movie!

• jillypie
    17 years ago

Lowspark,
    I really, really loved Miracle on 34th Street too and I'm Jewish too! But it is my favorite xmas movie. Still cry.

• rachelrachel
    17 years ago

Bunglogirl - I too liked "Skeleton Key" but imagine this. It was the 2nd day of my kitchen remodel in late winter.

I come home from work, the house is dark, and there's this woman in my gutted kitchen. Her boyfriend the electrician who I've never met is in my attic. He comes down and has all this long loose black hair hanging around his face and streaming down his back. He's running around in my attic for hours. The kitchen has no lights, there's wires hanging everywhere, and the house is cold as the vents have been removed from kitchen and living room.

I go into my bedroom which is packed to the gills with clutter and mess. I watch The Skeleton Key. For those who don't know, there's lots of attic action in this movie. I come out of my room at midnight, the house is empty, the electrician has left without saying goodbye, the front door is unlocked, the house is cold and dark, I'm surrounded by chaos.....I'm freaking out!!! Not a good night to watch this movie alone.

• organic_donna
    17 years ago

I just got back from seeing "Dream Girls". All I can say is FABULOUS!!! Jennifer Hudson, (American Idol) stole the show. Chicago girl I might add.
    Donna

• bunglogrl
    17 years ago

LOL rachelrachel!

• fairegold
    17 years ago

Last night we saw Wallace & Grommit and the Curse of the Were-Rabbit. Hysterical. Really really funny, in a Rube Goldberg, British punny, Mel-Brooksian sort of way. Not just for kids.

• lowspark
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I LOVE Wallace & Grommit.

• shequit
    17 years ago

"Devil Wears Prada" - yes- LMAO thinking how things have progressed for women in business and loving it. "Rain Man" - touching - has anyone read "The Curious Incident of The Dog in The Night"? For music and feeling, my favorite is "Immortal Beloved" - Beethoven's life and loves. Beautiful.