Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
demicent

Any Big Holiday Surprises?

demicent
18 years ago

Even in our family where everyone pretty much knows ahead of time what their gift will be, someone manages to pull off a surprise.

My mother in law mentioned a few months ago that she put her name in a raffle at Carson's and won a "pan".

Imagine my surprise on Christmas Eve when she gave me an All-Clad sauce pan!

So what were your little holiday surprises? The ones you didn't see coming?

Comments (12)

• catslikemice
    18 years ago

My Elton John "Red Piano" coffee mug was a huge surprise. I lusted on it after we saw the show but decided I didn't need a $16 mug. DH tells me that he bought it while out shopping while I was sleeping in, the day before we saw the show.

• paulines
    18 years ago

My big surprise was that the clothes I purchased DDs ALL FIT (and they liked them) ~ this is something that never happens -lol!!!

• librarymom03
    18 years ago

Your DD must be a teenager :-) I have one, I know!

My holiday surprize was that I didn't have to buy my own gift and wrap it!

• sweeby
    18 years ago

My mom spent the past week with us for the first time ever and we had a wonderful reunion. It was a great chance for her to spend some time with her grandchildren, and we all really enjoyed her stories.

My big surprise was a drop-dead gorgeous gold necklace, brooch and earring set that belonged to my great-great grandmother. I don't have the kind of social life that will allow me to wear it often, but it's a fabulous set with a fascinating history.

But I think the happiest surprises were how much my two boys enjoyed their gifts from Grandma -- both wooden arcade-style games. We've all played them for hours already, and Grandma really enjoyed being able to surprise and delight them. (The 14-year old is particularly hard to buy for.)

• April101
    18 years ago

Sweeby, that sounds like a fantastic gift. Something for those two boys to share with their wives one day. My daughter is always happy when I get new jewelry or rugs, ha ha!!!!!!!

• paulines
    18 years ago

Ah Sweeby,
    Perfect for the next black tie fundraiser at the Ritz, dahhhling. Seriously though, what a wonderful momento of GG Grandma~did you cry?

Yes librarymom, DDs are 17 1/2 & 21, so this was a MAJOR victory, LOL to buying & wrapping own gift~I feel your pain!

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

(and they liked them)

Pauline-- It was a riot at Christmas time when my mother would go looking for clothes for me (keep in mind this was the early 70's)-- she'd go out and look for what she thought were the most tasteless shirts she could find-- and they'd be PERFECT!!

As for this year, though, a surprise for my wife was a police scanner. We live right on a major road in this area, and anytime anything happens, we get to see all the red and blue lights coming and going. When my son's out (usually with my truck), she gets nervous as hell, and on several occasions when the lights just happened to be headed in the same direction as where my son was supposed to be, she's even had me call him to make sure he's okay. Now, there's no question that the lights aren't for him. Besides, it takes care of that "woman's curiosity" gene!! LOL

• pecanpie
    18 years ago

Puppies! MIL's dog had them Christmas Eve!

• mitchdesj
    18 years ago

I'm just about to go upstairs to weigh myself; I hope I don't get a holiday surprise.....

• librarymom03
    18 years ago

Thanks a lot for reminding me about that surprize!
    :-o
    And I haven't even gotten thru Chanukah and New Years yet!

• mrsmarv
    18 years ago

DH always amazes me...he couldn't very well take the engagement ring off my finger to do this, so he took me to our local jeweler on Tuesday and is having an eternity ring made for me from my engagement diamond, my mother's engagement diamond, and a diamond from a ring that was my grandmother's. The diamonds from my engagement ring and my grandmother's ring are sooo close in size (within .02 mm...talk about karma!) The diamond from my mother's ring will sit in the middle with the other two flanking it. He knows how much it will mean to me to be able to wear them all together, because my mom gave her ring to me "to hold" before she went into the hospital. She passed away while she was in there. We're having them set in 18k white gold in a very simple setting. It will be beautiful next to the platinum wedding band he got me for Christmas last year. I am not a fancy, schmancy jewelry type gal, and I don't own much "good" jewelry, so this really rocks! Woohoo!!
    Oh...and a Viking stand mixer is coming, to boot! What a guy ;o)

• proudmamato4
    18 years ago

Wow, sounds like you all have been having a wonderful holiday! I'm so glad. Mine was that my kids, the morning after Christmas, came and told me how happy they were with all the gifts Santa got them! Plus, DH bought me a beautiful Wilton Armental pewter crab bowl. You all may know how much I love crabs when I was looking at crab knobs for my kitchen. Anyway, the irony? of it was I bought DH a hand-rubbed bronze crab door knocker too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Crab bowl

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths