Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
San Francisco friends---dim sum?

Posted by fairegold (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 13, 06 at 20:10

Many many many years ago, when we lived in the city, we used to have dim sum at the Hang Ah Tearoom. I went back about 2 years ago, and it was disappointing. We'll be in the city for a couple of days soon, but are not getting the car out of the hotel garage, so we will be mainly on foot. Does anyone have a more current recommendation for dim sum near Chinatown or downtown?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: San Francisco friends---dim sum?

fairegold,

I just had great dim sum yesterday. I don't remember the name of the restaurant, but it is on the southwest corner of Folsom and Hawthorne. Hawthorne is between 2nd and 3rd Streets. It's a good location if you go to MOMA or Yerba Buena. Hopefully someone will give you an option north of Market if you want to stay in that area.

Have a great stay in the City!

Lisa

o

That's possible. We'll be at the Hyatt Regency for a company event, and we're taking a little extra time for ourselves. Thanks very much.

o

Darn, I thought you were inviting everyone for dim sum. :)

The Richmond is a good neighborhood for dim sum and all kinds of Asian food, but you'd have to get there. We get dim sum from one of several take-out places on Clement St., just look in the windows and stop in when you see something good.

If you ever find yourself in the East Bay, there's a great sit-down dim sum restaurant right inside the entrance to the mall at Pacific Plaza, Central Ave. exit off the 80 in El Cerrito.

o

I asked my friends in the Sunset and they go to Tong King on Geary between 22nd and 23rd, or a block away - Yet Wah at Clement and 23rd. They don't go downtown much but mentioned that Harbor Village in the Embarcadero was good (if it's still there)).

o

I hope this isn't too late, but I suggest Yank Sing. There are 2 locations - one in the Rincon Annex (only a couple of blocks from the Hyatt Regency) and the other is only a few blocks west of there on Stevenson [between Market & Mission] between 1st and 2nd Streets. It's a family-owned and operated place that is a little upscale and utterly delicious. It's always on my list when I go back to visit SF, where I lived for 22 years...

Here is a link that might be useful: Yank Sing

o

Fairegold - another vote for Yank Sing - elegant and delicious! It's pricey, but really good.

o

I think that we'll try Yank Sing, great reports from people I know. Thanks to you all!

o

I ate at Yet Wah with my grandparents many years ago. Delicious food. I grew up around Clement Street. Lots of Chinese restaurant choices there as well. I do miss San Francisco.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here