Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
While planning a feeding zone

Posted by mariposatraicionera (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 14, 06 at 18:47

Two weeks ago, our dog had surgery to remove a huge tumour in his mouth. We had noticed a swelling on his face and also that his breath was just awful. Anyway, after the vet took a look, they said the growth had to be removed, and we figured that was that.

Today DH took him back in and to our shock, found out that the tumour they removed 10 days ago, is BACK with a vengance. It's black and much bigger, and is spreading very quickly. DH then took him to the surgeon to see what our options were, and was told that they would have to remove a major part of pooch's jaw, and that it would be like cutting out half his face! Needless to say, we're in shock. Our pooch is 11 year old and has always been in great health.

Pooch also has a heart condition (diagnosed two weeks ago), and the vet said she didn't recommend radiation treatments. She said that the surgery would only buy him about 6 months (maximum), and that healing time for this type of surgery could take a good 3 months...I'm just so sick over this that I could not eat today. So much for planning to incorporate a nice area for our pooch, with new SS feeding bowls and a lovely pillow :-(

Treat your pooches well...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: While planning a feeding zone

Oh, mariposa, I feel for you.

I have a 14-year-old retired guide dog myself. She keeps me up most of the night now, has her days and nights switched, so I consider that I have a newborn again. I can't abandon her in her old age. I know exactly how you must feel.Image hosted by Webshots.com
by whitevenetino

o

Mari, I am really sorry for your pooch and that you are going thru the most difficult time of loving your pet.

o

WhiteVenetino and Eandhl, thank you. The worst part of this is that we were told to bring him home and love him until it's time. When I asked how long that might be, the vet said probably before Christmas :-(

My children were devastated when they came home today to this news. I didn't have the heart to call them at school to break this type of news. I was so looking forward to incorporating his own little area near the new kitchen, and hoping he'd like it because he's a strange doggie...he loves to have his things in one place and if you move it, he'll use his paws and nose to push it right back to the original spot!

o

Mariposa,
I am so sorry. We lost a nine year old Maine Coon cat a few years ago to esophageal cancer about which we had no warning, just after losing a 13 yearold to hepatitis of unknown and sudden origin. You are losing a memeber of your family, who just happens to be short and furry. Make sure he is comfortable. My heart is with you.

o

Oh Mariposa, my heart is with you. Please know that others have been through this, and share in your pain.

Three years ago we were in a similar situation with our cats. While our 15 year old cat was battling fibrosarcoma (major surgery, followed by chemo every three weeks for months), we lost our 16 year old (my first cat) that summer, the morning after exploratory surgery (likely stomach or intestinal cancer). We lost our 15 year old a few months later (3 years ago this coming Saturday). As if life weren't cruel enough that year, the kitten we'd brought home (between losing our first "babies") had to be put to sleep the day after Christmas because she had FIP.

I in no way want to hijack your thread. Rather, I want you to know, that my DH and I are certainly proof, that it will be possible to go on. It will be very, very hard at times, and you will cry, and be angry, and feel sorrow, and you will have every right to feel those things when you feel them. Just know that you will have lots of people out here who care. Your dog will always be with you in your heart.

Hugs.

o

Mariposa,
I am so sorry. Animals are such important members of our families; they give us so much. I hope your remaining time with Pooch is as good as it can be, and I hope you can keep him comfortable. Many of us on the forum will be sending you warm thoughts as you go through this oh so challenging time.

o

Mariposa--Are you anywhere near NY? The Animal Medical Center in Manhattan seems to do some cutting edge stuff (we get their mailings). Perhaps you could contact them, and see if they might be able to buy you some more quality time with him? Just a thought.

More hugs.

o

Cat_mom I'm not anywhere near NY unfortunately. Please don't think you're hijacking the thread by sharing what you went through. I can't imagine having so many pets dying around the same time.

This is my children's first dog, and we ended up getting him because they were always heartbroken when hamsters, gerbils or guinea pigs died or ran away. They asked for a dog because they felt that he would last much longer and of course he has. We would jokingly say that the first one off to college gets to take him with them.

This is what they told us he has: "plasma cell tumor." What irks me is that 2 weeks ago he went in for a checkup and had surgery and we celebrated last week when the path report came back as a 'benign tumour.' Then today they told us that this type of tumour does return, but not so quickly, so apparently they didn't remove enough of it or something.

I'm angry of course (which is normal), but also want to know whether there are other options.

Brachl, Jillypie, thank you for sharing and caring. It's with a very heavy heart tonight that I write this. We all love our baby, but we had no idea it would hurt so deeply. I always had this thought in my head that my love for the children was different from my pet...

o

Maybe you could call The AMC and pick their brains. You can get the number from their website, or I can look for it for you.

We have two cats now, and when the younger one was still a kitten I called them re: a dental issue, and the dental vet on staff spoke with me at length on the phone and I never even had to bring her in. Perhaps someone there could discuss other options with you.... It might not pan out, but at least you'd know if you even have other options.

I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers. Please keep us posted.

PS I volunteer at a local no-kill shelter now, and try to make our girls in heaven and at home proud. I do it in their honor and their memory, which is a pretty good legacy for some very special beings.

o

Mariposa,
Another place to call is your state's vet school, if there is one. Several people I know have taken their pets to the vet school at North Carolina State, and they have had good experiences. I feel so bad for you; pets give us so much joy, and we just want to keep them forever. I'll be thinking of you, your family, and Pooch.

o

Oh Mariposa, I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your family.

o

Oh darlin,

I am so veryy sorry. Make sure to take lots of photos.. set up the tree early.. spoil him rotten and know that you are doing what you can to make his life easier. We had to have one of our beloved Great Danes put down last year because he was having strokes/seizures every couple of weeks, then days. He was teh most wonderful dog but is was becoming dangerous since when he awoke from the violent seizures he would not recognize anybody and become defensive and bite. Not something you can have a 200 pound Great Dane doing. It was a very hard choice and I will always miss Tucker.. but his last meal was a steak with lots of love.. and sometimes love is all we can do.

Hugs and love to you and your famly during this time.

Maddie

o

I'm so sorry, Mari. I know that your special dog has had all the love and attention he could possibly have wanted, and I also know he gave it back to you in kind. I hope he passes peacefully and with his favorite humans around him when the time comes, and that you have many fond and special memories to cherish in the years to come.

o

I also want to send you my heartfelt sympathy. We've suffered through the loss of three schnauzers in the past. We have no children; so each one was devastating. DH said that it was the worst thing that he's ever been through. Even having his company go out of business did not compare. We both still have dreams about our four legged babies. Love him as long as you can and don't feel guilty if you have to make that hard decision to let him go.

o

I'm so sorry to hear about this. It's so sad. You might want to consider incorporating the feeding zone into your plan anyway so it's there when you decide you're ready to bring another dog into your life. I've found that once you know how wonderful it is to share your life and home with a dog, you can never go back. Give him a big hug for me. He's very lucky to be able to live out the rest of his life in such a good home.

o

So sorry you and your family and pooch are going through this. It sounds like he has been well and truly loved, and that you have a wonderful family to share this time with. I love the insights offered above, especially eandhl's comment that this is the most difficult time of loving your pet. And it just reminds me all over again how fragile life is, and how quickly things can change. Kind of takes the wind out of your sails -- and the joy out of sailing. Hug your dog and your family, and keep one for yourself.

o

I've been crying all morning, and could barely sleep last night. Reading your words also brought tears to my eyes, but it is still comforting. Yes, it's a good idea to incorporate a feeding zone for the future...

Maxxy doesn't look to bright this morning. He usually would run to greet us on mornings but today he stayed on his pillow and waited for his meal. He doesn't even care to run after rabbits today.

I've written to a couple people out at Purdue University who are involved in canine cancer studies, and also made a call to the local Vet school in my state. Thanks for the tip Brachl.

Cat_mom, I will call AMC this morning. Any other suggestions would be greatly received. I want to do what's best for him, but I really feel a second opinion and also knowing what might be available would be helpful to us. At least we'd know we gave it our best shot. But I would never hold on to him only for us and watch him suffer needlessly.

When the drywall guy came yesterday I cancelled on him because I was too distraught. He was very understanding. His sis-in-law has about a month to live...she has cancer and all the surgery, chemo and radiation hasn't helped. I also cancelled the electrician yesterday, but he has to come today so somewhere inside me I have to continue with the chore of remodelling. It just doesn't feel the same, know what I mean?

Maddie, Eva, Clay, Indy, Ontario, Lobotome...thanks for the support.

o

My cabinets started going in yesterday and my time was so limited that I didn't read this thread. I'm so sorry to hear about your babe. We lost our previous 2 cats when my now 13 yr old was a newborn. It's so hard to have all the mixed emotions of new beginnings and departures, but I agree that continuing with your plans is a good idea. Sounds like you are the kind of person who will have another need for that in the future. Lots of hugs and petting in the meantime.

o

Mariposa--let me know if you need that phone number. If you called them already, please let me know what they said.

I couldn't stop thinking about your situation all day. my heart just aches for you having to go through this. You should be able to just enjoy planning and watching your new kitchen unfold. I will continue to hope for the best, and send you hugs.

o
RE: your poor dog

The toughest part of owning a pet is having to play god. And yet, I will always have a dog in my life. Yes, I put up with the hair dust bunnies all over the house, dog yak etc, but its worth it for the unconditional love! My dogs (mutt and blue heeler) never get mad at me-unlike my preteen...)

But look at the bright side... I am sure that he has had 11 great years with you! What more could any pet ask for than a good home and lots of love. Good luck.

o

Cat_mom, I tried calling yesterday and was put on hold several times. I will call again today. It's been extremely difficult to say the least. Our second opinion here told us he same...the tumour is growing at a rapid rate and an attempt at removal means a large portion of his jaw has to go :-(

The thought of putting him through more suffering to try and get an extra 6 months (of course doctors/vets etc. give you a time limit, but who can tell), just sounds awful.

I'm trying to post a pic. Hope this works. Thanks again for the support. I honestly had no idea how it would feel to lose a pet.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Mariposa,
He's so cute! I am happy that you have had many good years together. Thinking of all of you,
Lisa

o

I'm very sorry your dog is so sick. He's a beautiful boy. It's terribly hard to lose them. I lost my Tibby this past March, a dog I hand raised since he and his littermate brother Toby were 10 days old. I miss him terribly..he was 12 years and eight months old when he died. It was a shock.. he just acted funny/strange, suddenly, late on a Friday night. Took him to the ER ... he, too, had a tumor. We took a chance on surgery...wish now, we had just taken him home. What I would have given to have had just one more day with my sweet, baby boy. He never made it through the surgery.. he was gone by Saturday afternoon. He was perfectly fine, all day Friday.. ate his supper and usual treats with gusto..jumped with pure joy when DH walked through the door coming home from work. The only strange thing (and this is only looking back on that day.. didn't realize it at the time) was Toby was up on the couch and Tibby walked over and wanted to have the couch for himself.. something neither dog has ever done.. we have 2 small loveseats.. prefect dog size, one for each...anyway, Toby got up and gave Tibby the couch and both dogs nudged me to sit and cuddle with Tibby.. my 85 pound baby lay on my lap with his beautiful brown eyes staring up, into mine.. there he stayed for hours until Daddy walked in the door. It was such a sweet, loving gesture from one brother to another. Toby still misses Tibby, too. Oh geeze.. I'm crying, now, for my poor Tibby and your dog, too. I'm sorry for the pain you and your family are having to go through. It's heartbreakingly, sad.
You might want to ask Meghane over on the Pets forum if she thinks there are any other options. She's in Vet school and she's very helpful and very kind.

Hope this helps,

Silly

o

Oh Mariposa, he is so cute, and so sweet-looking! I have tears in my eyes as I type this. I hope you had better luck today getting through, and that they have better news for you. Perhaps there is some cutting edge surgery, or jaw replacement following surgery that the other places just aren't aware of. I know it could be just grasping at straws, but you just never know... I always say that the worst they can say is no, but if you don't ask, you'll never find out.

Tomorrow night we will light a yahrzeit (memorial) candle for our Suki, and say a prayer for her as it will be the anniversary of her passing. I will say a prayer for your baby to be given some hope.

Silly__you poor thing. It's so sad watching the surviving pet grieve for their lost companion, not being able to explain to them what happened. We went through that twice in a four month period. I wish you, your DH, and Toby peace.

o

I'm so sorry. My heart goes out to you and your loved ones. Spoil him rotten, and make your remaining time together as special as can be. If only furry little angels could stay here with us forever.

Like Silly, I've also lost a pet unexpectedly in surgery, without the chance of saying goodbye, and I hope that the special times you are sharing with him now might help to lessen the grief even just a tiny bit.

Nat

o

I just put on his laundry to make sure he has clean bedding. He has been bleeding a bit from his mouth all day. Anyway, I have been busy all day calling every animal hospital and writing tons of places. One 'angel' in another state is trying to find me info through her vet, so I faxed the records to her this afternoon. It helps to at least 'try' something, know what I mean? I feel so helpless because he can't say how much he's hurting.

But...we had a much better appetite today. I cancelled all appointments and didn't go to work either, so I could stick around and pamper him. Maybe that helped? He got to run around the front yard (his passion) to do his bunny hunting, and my son just took him for a little walk. He's having homemade doggy food tonight and loving it.

Thank you Nat...we are trying to spend as much time as we can so when we have to say goodbye, we'll know that we did the best we could. Your situation would be heartbreaking...a friend told me about the misdiagnosis of her pet, and subsequent surgery which led to her fluffy angel's death. That would be borrible.

Sillym, another heart breaker :-(. You poor thing, and Toby. I had no idea there was a pet forum...will check it out. Thanks!

Meanwhile, the electrician came back today and it wasn't easy discussing lighting needs. I guess I really don't have a choice but to continue, so I will try to post at night while Maxxie is sleeping. Thank you all so much!!

o

Please give Maxxie hugs and kisses from us all.

There will be no right or wrong answers as to what to do, whatever you decide, is what will be right for you. You jsut do what yopu feel is best, and know that you did everything YOU could.

We are all pulling for you guys and Maxxie out here.

o

Mari,

What a sweet, sweet doggie. I'm so sorry he is sick, and that you and your family are facing such a loss.

You might want to read the book "Saying Goodbye to the Pet You Love," by Lorri Greene. The author is a psychologist, and she leads a pet loss support group at the humane society where I used to work.

I think our greatest responsibility as pet parents is to decide when to intervene and when to allow nature to take its course. Never an easy decision. (((Hugs))) to you and your family.

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Saying Goodbye book

o

Mariposa, my friend who works in my vet's office mentioned a Dr Deangelis, in Ardsely, NY. She said he is the best Orthopedist. Maybe another brain to pick...

o

Just a bump up to see how you're holding up Mariposa. Thinking about you and Maxxy.

o

Hi Cat_Mom, thanks for bumping up the thread....

I had to get back to the job of remodelling, but it was very difficult. Two calls came through from out of state (vet schools) and I missed them :-(. Anyway, on Monday I'll return their calls. At least they did respond, right?

Max went for a little walk tonight and came back ravenous. He's been eating a little better after the walks, so I take him out frequently for short spells. His face is still swollen, and he dribbles blood at times :-(.

Thanks for asking. I will let you all know what we find out from the oncologist, but in the meantime, he's being loved, pampered, and kept clean and warm.

The book sounds interesting. I'll have to order it.

o

I can't even imagine trying to deal with kitchen reno stuff while dealing with Max's health crisis.

I'm glad you got some responses. Whether or not they can help, at least you are being proactive and doing everything you can. Believe me, that's big.

It's good that Max has an appetite, it'll help him keep his strength up if he continues to eat. If his appetite lags, try getting some cans of Science Diet A/D from your vet. I'm pretty sure it's for both cats and dogs. It's a canned food, very soft, highly palatable, and odorous, so it tempts them to eat when they are sick. Our vet suggested microwaving it for a few seconds (especially if it came from an opened can in the fridge), to release the aroma.

Pampering is the best thing you can do. Our Suki loved Hagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream (wouldn't touch Friendly's!), and would always bug DH for a taste before she got sick. Needless to say, she got it every night those last few weeks.

I am sure Max knows how loved and cared for he is, and I'll bet he is soaking up all that love, and pampering and coziness that you are giving him.

I'll keep checking to see if you've heard anything.

Hugs.

o

Mari,
How is it going? You know, my Maine Coon had an inoperable nasal tumour and she lived pretty happily for 7 monthe longer after diagnosis. We were advised that there was nothing we could do and that we should euthanize her. Instead we treated her with anti-biotics and steroids. And pretty regularly we had the vet syringe her nose. We kept her going until she had trouble breathing and couldn't get comfortable. Up until the last day she came every nite to lie on first DH's chest than mine at bedtime. Lots of love. A two way street.

o

Mari,
My heart goes out to you. I went through a similar situation with my cat during my remodel. I had to stop for a short time because my heart was no longer into it. I remember resenting my new cabinets, because they made me feel so shallow as a person. Maybe you can slow down the process.
As for Max, I hope you can find a specialist to do the surgery and follow up treatments. Sometimes I get really strong feelings about things and I don't know where they come from. The feeling I'm getting about Max is that he will survive this illness.
Whatever happens, know that you are a wonderful "mother" to Max and he is very loved. He is one of the lucky ones to have been adopted by your family.
Please keep us informed.
Donna

o

I am so sorry to hear about your dog. I was not going to send this because I see the thread hasn't had an post in a few days, but I felt I had to say I'm sorry. I had my dog with the same type of tuma. She died a few years ago. I thought I could never love another animal I was so heart broken. If my husband or I talked about her we would get choked up and not finish our sentence. After two years Sydney found a way into our home. She didn't take Shazams place but we were able to love again. It is like having one of our children sick. Time does help heal and until then you must be strong for your little guy. You sound like a very caring person and your Max is very lucky to have you for a mom. Our kitchen problems seem so small compared to this. I wish I could help you through this.
Lynn

o

Jilly, I'm hoping the oncologist will give us some meds to keep him comfortable, and someone else said their dog was on steriods for a few weeks and this helped a little.

Max didn't eat as well yesterday and isn't too keen on eating this morning, so my DD took him for a little walk which he still loves, and she's outside playing with him. This usually does the trick of making him want to eat and drink.

Donna, thank you. I did stop for a few days and in fact, our remodelling is going ever so slowly because I also am taking care of a family member who is a widow and can't drive, so my cup runneth over. I had to get back to thinking about the lighting yesterday because the electrician is coming back this week.

As we all know, life continues whether we stop or not.

Cat_mom, we're going to buy him that food tomorrow from the vet. I really don't have the heart for this remodelling or even the holidays :-(

o

The steroids/prednisone will help to make Max feel more comfortable, and could also help to stimulate his appetite. It could make him a little more thirsty if I'm remembering correctly, so you might need to bring him outside more frequently. The prednisone injections can be given in a longer lasting form (which usually lasts less as less long over time or as the disease progresses, again, if I'm remembering it right). Then you would supplement the shots with prednisone tablets (given at home daily or twice daily?). They are small pills and not too terrible to give (if you can't hide it in food with him, or pop it down his throat, you can get a "pill gun" which is like a rubber tipped syringe type thing--saves your fingers).

I know just how you feel re: the remodeling and holidays. We lost Suki the week before Thanksgiving, and then Mayu (our kitten) got sick again that same week, and never really perked up fully after that. She was diagnosed as likely having FIP on the first night of Chanukah (a month after losing Suki), and put to sleep on the last night of Chanukah, which was also the day after Christmas. We were just toast, and spent the entire holiday season crying.

As I said earlier, DH and I are proof though, that you can and will get through this awful dark period, and will go on. It might be really hard, and will really, really, really suck, but over time it will get better. That is the nature of life. You get two choices in this world. You can curl up in a corner and die, or you go on (no matter how hard it is to do so). To this day, like dancefit, we get choked up talking about the furry babies that we lost, and we will always mourn their loss. Luckily, we opened our hearts to the two we have now, and while they will never be replacements, they are loving additions to our family just at a different place in time.

Just take things one day at a time, and sometimes just a moment at a time when that's all you have the strength for. Do what you can, when you can, and know that we are all out here pulling for you.

o

Hi cat_mom, we took Maxxie to the vet and then to the oncologist today. The Oncologist said that surgery was not a good option for Maxxie because of where the tumour is located and the fact that it is in the palate area as well. However, she told us that chemo and steroids could buy him time if he tolerates and responds well to the medication. We jumped at this (expensive as you know), but worth a shot. I couldn't put him down in good conscience without attempting to find an alternative.

We bought a pill cutter (for the chemo tablets) and also the syringe you recommended. We'll be administering his chemo every day for the first two weeks and then he goes back to be evaluated. The Dr. said Maxxie would probably have stay on chemo for several months (eventually lower dose), and that it could shrink the tumour which would extend his life for another 6 months...maybe. It's worth a try I believe, and he is eating a little if his food is runny. He's weak from not eating enough and also from the blood loss.

I got up this morning fearing the worse after last night, and tonight I'm a little more at ease. Thank you so much for being here and offering your knowledge.

It is very sad to read what you went through with your beloved pets, and during the holidays it's even worse. Many of you are an inspiration for me because you have been down this road and were able to have other pets come into your lives.

In the middel of vet and oncologist visits we got a call from the plumber and electrician so I had to make some quick decisions. Not the right time for this at all, but as my father would say 'where there is life, there is hope.' And our Maxxie is still with us, not in terrible pain according to the oncologist, but holding on. Will keep you posted.

o

Good luck, Mari. My fingers are crossed.

o

Mari,

I have had both a dog and cat with this sort of tumor and I have a suggestion that may help you feed your dog. I didn't invent it until I was dealing with my cat, but I think it would have been fine with my dog, too.

Take regular cannned dog food and whip it with a little water or broth with a stick blender (I used a a Braun, multi model sp? I can get you exact name if you need. I got mine at BBB.) It has detachable blades that were easy to wash in a dishwasher. To contain the whipping mess I put the food in a wide-mouth pint canning jar (straight sides). The blender head fit right down in. Continue whipping until you've got a smooth, almost mousse-like texture.

You can doctor this up with anything that might make it more palatable and richer nutrient-wise. I even sometimes used heavy cream -unsweetened of course - when I needed to add fat and calories. You can throw in some Nutrical glop, as well, for simple calories and vitamins. Scrambled eggs maybe OK, too, as a source of very digestible protein.

To feed this, scoop it out on the *back* of a large serving spoon. The convexity of the back of the spoon makes it easy for sick animals to lick it off without colliding with the spoon. At first you may need to gently touch the food on the tip of the tougue or gums to give him the idea. He can lie down and rest while this is going on, as long as he will continue to lick and swallow. It may not be accurate, but I found a large sterling serving spoon was the best for this. Perhaps the smell, or rapid thermoconductivity of sterling made some kind of a detectable difference, but it was clearly easier to keep my cats chowing down with sterling vs the stainless spoon I started with.

(I had much better luck with this type of spoon feeding than trying to administer food through a syringe directly into the mouth. It does take time and patience, though.)

Between feedings I kept the mixed stuff right in the mixing jar. You can cover it with those plastic screw-on storage tops. It helps to nuke it a bit to take the chill off and make it smell more appetizing when it comes out of the fridge before feedings.

If you're having trouble with big feedings, you can do many, many, small feedings -which is why having pre-filled jars ready in the fridge makes it easier when you're sleepy or in a hurry. And at first you may need to offer the food every half hour or so, until your dog gets used to it.

To keep track of the amount of food, weigh the empty jar, add the food, measure the water and other adjuvants, then before feeding, after you've extracted the wand, weigh again. Before and after each feeding weigh the jar, that way you can track accurately how much you're feeding over a 24-hour period and make sure you're getting enough food and hydration done. I gave my digital kitchen scales quite a work out during these bouts of intensive nursing. Having the info written down helped me know I was doing OK, and also sometimes allowed me to pass a feeding when it couldn't be tolerated without worrying that I wasn't doing enough. I felt more confident knowing I had a clear record to go by - it kind of relieved me from having to worry I was missing something crucial. That helped me manage my anxiety that I was failing to provide the right care and make the best decision for my beloved pets.

You were much in my thoughts over the weekend as I keenly recall how devastated I was when I was in your situation, twice. I know your pup is happier being at home with you as long as possible, but it is a terribly painful experince for you to go through, nonetheless.

Our pets give us the unmatched gift of being completely in the moment, without worrying about what the future may hold. And being safe, warm and well-tended by his beloved humans is enough for him to know that all is right in his world.

Molly~

o

I'm so sorry about your dog. I'm so totally attached to my dog that I would be inconsolable if anything happened to him. I have lost pets before and I know what it feels like. My Golden is like my own child and loves to be babied like one too.

I hope he doesn't suffer any pain. He's an adorable dog. Saying prayers for him and your family.

o

Mariposa--It sounds like your vet and oncologist are on track with a plan for Maxxie. I don't know if it's the same in dogs, but cats generally tolerate the chemo treatments quite well. It's not like in humans (where they try to "kill" you before building you back up). It's much less deadly, however, you must realize, not as likely to eradicate the cancer completely. It is good though that the time you buy is more likely to be quality time.

If you need to get/keep Maxxie's strength up, ask your vet about syringe feeding him some of his food until his appetite perks up. It can be messy (depending on how cooperative Maxxie is), but you get the hang of it. Just keep a bunch of towels handy.

Glad to hear from you. I am keeping you and your boy in my thoughts.

o

Mariposa, I just read this post and I really wanted to add my heartfelt sympathies to those you've gotten. Our pets are very much a part of our lives and our families - as it should be. And it isn't easy to see them suffer. I wish you all the very very best as you and Maxxie go forward. I'll be crossing my fingers, standing on one foot in the full moon, and adding my prayers that Maxxie lives a full and complete and happy life and that the chemo and steroids do the trick!

o

Thank you Jilly.

Molly, we'll try your idea and I will let you know if it works. Maxxie woke up this morning and actually looked up at us with interest. He's weak of course, but is it possible that the steroids from yesterday is helping him feel better so quickly? He did get a shot. It's not easy getting the little stinker to take his pills but as we become more experienced at 'spoon' feeding him, I'm sure things will go smoothly. Thank you Molly.

Cat, he's drinking lots more because of the prednisone so I don't have to worry about dehydration. Again, thanks for keeping us in your thoughts and prayers.

Hi Mindstorm, thank you also for chipping in. I honestly had no idea that I would feel this way about a pet. He's our first dog as a family and grew up with the kids. My DD asked me why it's okay to put an animal down, but okay to keep a human alive no matter what! That took some explaining that honestly didn't quite make sense :-(

I know that chemo and steroids won't cure Maxxie, but with the holidays so close it really would make a difference to share a last one with him.

o

Mariposa,

I didn't read this post till just now thinking the topic didn't apply to us so I had no idea what you were going thru. You are in our prayers. We lost our family dog of 14 years last Feb. She was on Pred. and it worked very fast to increase her energy and appetite. In her last week we let her do anything her huge doggy heart desired. Eat raw onions that she loved, get up on the couch, (she was huge!), sleep under the covers in my daughters bed. She was a happy camper and that made us feel a little better. Then when she was in obvious pain and trouble breathing our dear vet came out to the house, gave her a quick injection and we held her while she quietly left us. Lots of the people in our lives (family included) just didn't get how deeply this affected us. But there are many here who feel for you and your family and understand what these little critters mean. Hang in there.

o

Yes, the prednisone injections will work quickly, when they work. As I mentioned, they can become less effective, or last for shorter intervals over time. If the chemo is effective at slowing down or shrinking the cancer/tumor, the prednisone could feasibly have a longer lasting effect (?).

You'll get the hang of pilling him. The trick is to get it far enough back on the tongue or literally down his throat on the first try so he can't spit it out. Our Misha would gooble up a baby food-coated pill, swallow every drop of food, and still manage to spit out the pill!
The pill gun is very handy for days when Maxxie is being a little stinker.

Glad to hear he's drinking more. Don't know why the pred makes 'em thirsty, but it's probably good cause it'll keep him hydrated. You can syringe feed him the a/d (mixed with baby food, or a little liquid, or by itself) if his appetite seems to lag on some days.

Tell your DD I've often asked that same question myself.

Hugs.

o

Mariposa,
I'm glad your vet and oncologist have a plan. It seems many of the posters have good recommendations for you. I wish you and Maxxie many more good days together. Like many on the forum, I am thinking of you, Maxxie and your family during this challenging time. I hope it goes as well as possible.

o

It's truly amazing to watch the tranformation. Maxxie made it up the flight of stairs this evening! I can't believe that steroids would have such an effect so quickly. He's been hungry all day and we're feeding him as often as he wants to. His poor mouth looks awful though. The oncologist showed me the tumour in his mouth and it's really huge :-(. We talked with our kids about his medication and the fact that this will not cure him. They know that we're on borrowed time and we've decided to enjoy him to the fullest for as long as he's with us. It will still be hard when the time comes, but I truly feel as though we've been given a lovely gift this Thanksgiving.

Brachl, Cat, Homeschool thanks again.

o

Give Maxxie whatever he wants, treats on demand! Enjoy your time with him, lavish him with love, and you will know that you did all he'd ever want.

We had a few more months with our Suki than we thought we would, and she seemed to enjoy the extra attention as much as we were glad to give it.

Please give him a hug and a kiss from me and DH.

o

We also enjoyed Molly for the 6 "extra" months. Happy Thanksgiving.

o

I'm new around here...and our pets are our children. I read your post earlier today. Ironically, one of our cats went into the vet today because he was growling and hissing when we approached him. We have him home now and he is in steady decline. He's having big problems walking. Vet says it neurological. We're not sure he will be able to walk by morning. Let's make a promise to spoil these animals ...we are defrosting a little shrimp...yum, yum. They shall be kings of the house! All my best.

o

mari,
You and Maxxie are in my thoughts.
Donna

o

Mariposa,
Just came to this thread, and I'm so sorry about Maxxie... DH and I have also lost loved ones before and it's never easy. And people sometimes don't understand that these aren't just pets, they are our children..

My thoughts are with Maxxie and your family. Shower him with love.

o

Thank you guys, I sure appreciate hearing that I'm not crazy to be this worried about our dog. I did get a strange look from the plumber when I cancelled because we needed to take Maxxie to the oncologist. I could have sworn he muttered something like "WTF..." But then he agreed to come on Friday.

Anyway, Maxxie had a super good TG with us and we had the happiest time even though the turkey didn't cook on time and the kitchen looks like a disaster zone. He's not been feeling too well since we started the chemo though. I don't know much about animals and their reaction to chemo, but he's not eating as much and is a bit listless. Still, he's not anywhere as weak as last week and the steroids really opened up his appetite.

We're spoiling him rotten and giving him lots of extra hugs and kisses. I honestly can't imagine a brand new kitchen without him!

o

The turkey and the kitchen and the plumber are way down on the list of what's important.

What's important is that Maxxie and his family had a happy TG.
Give him a hug from us...

o

I'm so glad Maxxie had a good Thanksgiving with you and you with him. I don't know about the different kinds of chemo for animals (just the one our Suki had been on), but perhaps his body will adjust to it, or the vet will adjust or change his meds as they see how Maxxie reacts to them. Don't hesitate to call your vet/oncologist with your questions or concerns through all this. Knowing what to expect makes it slightly less scary than being faced with a common (but unexpected by you) reaction that you weren't forewarned about.

Hugs!

o

I'm glad you and Maxxie had a good TG. My dogs especially enjoyed a little ham last Thursday. (We ate at a friends, so I had no turkey for them but I brought the ham and gave them some when we returned home.) You have all been in my thoughts and prayers.

o

Here is a recent picture of Maxxie. The right side of his face is where the tumour is. His fur is all bloody from his teeth cutting the tumour while trying to eat :-(. He gives us trouble to clean that area, so we have to be extra gentle. You can see in his eyes that he wasn't feeling well. Since starting chemo he's been more tired and sleeps all day. He has no energy and is eating less now. I asked the oncologist and she said this is typical. He has not thrown up or had convulsions so I'm grateful for that. We're still being vigilant and preparing different foods in an attempt to entice some eating. Any suggestions beyond what you already told me? Poor guy, he probably can't understand why those visits to the doctor didn't make him feel better instead of worse.

o

Glad you and your family and Maxxie had a good TG. I am saying prayers that he feels better soon. What type of dog is he? He sure is a cutie. Do you puree his food and put it in a little suringe? I had to do that with my cat. I made the food very loose and put it in the side of his check and than massaged his throat to help him swollow. I'm sure you are doing everything that can be done for him. Just from reading your messages you sound like a caring person. Maxxie is lucky to have a family like yours.

o

mari,
Your breaking my heart. I wish I could hug him. He is so cute. Your doing the best that you can. Give him some time, he will turn a corner and improve. We are all sending him our love.
Donna

o

dancefit has the right idea. Mix some a/d (warmed in the microwave ever-so-slightly) with baby food, (and a little water if needed) and syringe it into his mouth on the side that's not sore. If there's anything that he especially loves as a treat (liver? roast chicken?), give it to him by all means. Puree it and see if he'll lick at it, or syringe some of that in addition to the a/d.

I look at that little face and my heart just aches for him and for you. He just looks like the cutest and sweetest little thing. I wish I could do something to help. I wish the vets could do something more to shrink the tumor. Did you ever hear back from AMC?

o

Mari,

To get Maxxie to eat, you might try Natural Balance Dog Food Rolls (link below). Nutritionally, they are excellent, and dogs really love them. It comes in logs, and you cut it into chunks to feed, whatever size works best for your dog. You could mince it for Maxxie so he wouldn't need to use his mouth too much. The trainers at the humane society where I used to work used it as treats b/c the dogs loved it so much and it's so healthful. When my dear old dog had a nasty bout of ideopathic vestibular disease 2 years ago, it was the only thing he'd eat for days (hand-fed, of course). You can get it at Petco and I've found it at many mom-and-pop stores that sell high-quality pet food.

You, Maxxie and your family are in my thoughts...

Amy

Here is a link that might be useful: Natural Balance Dog Food Rolls

o

Amy, that sounds yummy. I'm sure Maxxie will love that. We're finding that we have to change his food every couple of days to keep up his interest. He's not bleeding as much now because I've been feeding him only very soft, runny foods. Cat, he loves liver! Would you mainly feed him baby foods with meat or fruit as well? He'll lick the food off a spoon and sometimes DD would put some on her fingers and he'll lick away. Other times he'd walk away and stand by his bowl waiting, and we'll here him literally slurping up the food. But his appetite fluctuates. I really think the chemo is causing him some problems like lethargy and nausea, though he hasn't vomitted to our knowledge. He did go outside on his own but is so weird at times that if you stand and watch him doing his business, he'll refuse to go!lol

Organic and Dancefit, thank you both for your thoughts. I shudder everytime I think back to last week Monday when the vet was getting ready to put him down.

o

Honestly Mariposa, I would give him what he wants, when he wants it. You will kick yourself later if you don't. Just cater to his every whim, seriously. Give him whatever will get him to eat, straight or mixed (it'll really be trial or error). We never syringe fed Suki, but would literally feed her from a spoon, or our fingers for as long as she would eat at times. Sometimes we'd sit there with her for what seemed like hours coaxing her to eat. By the end I think we were giving her a/d mixed with Gerber's baby food--chicken. She also got Haagen Daaz Vanilla ice cream if she wanted it (she used to bug DH to share it when she was healthy)---to this day DH can't/won't eat it.

If Maxxie likes liver, grind some up for him (I can make him some of my "famous" chopped liver if you'd like, I'm in southern NY state). If he likes fruit, or meat, or baby food, just mix some in with whatever you need to to get some calories (vitamins/minerals) into him.

Definitely check with the oncologist as whether Maxxie's having a normal reaction to the chemo. There are different drugs used, and maybe there are others just as effective for his type of cancer with less side-effects. There might not be others as effective, but it never hurts to ask (my favorite motto; "the worst they can say, is no").

email me anytime if you want (if I'm not on this site for some reason). I'll try to get my email address on my profile.

I am sending more big hugs tonight to you and the little guy.

o

Mariposa, hang in there by God's grace - what a sweetie is your little fellow.

Our first cat of our married life, Luke, died from a tumor on his leg from the leukemia vaccine. We let him live out his days and I would take him outside to lie in one sunny spot for a few hours then bring him in. I believe he delayed his departure for when my husband arrived home from out of town. Now we have just lost one of our cats who was on daily meds for thyroid, and not feeling so well. He's an indoor/outdoor and we have searched to no avail. They truly tug at your heart.

Hey, cat_mom - your Suki - is that a cat? We're in eastern MA, and adopted the last of a litter 10 years ago who had a sister named Suki. Mr. Black (Theodore was his pound name), would always squint appreciatively when I said her name - or so it seemed. Wow, I would love it if she had such a caring home as yours seems to be!

o

Cat, you might have to send me an email first because I don't see the link on your page. Thanks for all the tips. I'll call the oncologist tomorrow again and report how he's doing. He just drank quite a lot of water which was good, and his bowl was clean so he did eat the rest of his dinner. I also cooked up a pot of carrots, lamb, chicken and beef until it was very tender, and used the blender to puree everything. Will heat that up for him tomorrow. He has always loved the scent of meat!

Even though the chemo is making him lethargic, he's still more alive than he was last week because he at least wants to eat a little. Last Monday he simply quit his water and food and wouldn't move. It breaks my heart to watch him though because he can't say how he feels. At least babies can bawl their heads off, this guy just keeps very quiet...no whimpering or whining.

Here is a pic of Maxxie sleeping today. Jubilee, I hope you find your cat. How long ago did he go missing? Do you think he's too sick to find his way home? I hope not.

o

Jubilee, yes Suki was my second baby, Misha was my first. When I knew I was looking for a second cat, I'd asked my students (mostly Japanese at the time, I teach ESL) for some name suggestions. Someone suggested Suki (which means "to like or love"), and of course that was it! After we lost Misha, we had a kitten all too briefly (FIP) named Mayu. Now we have Shizu and Miku. We'd noticed a pattern with our family's cats years ago: all of their names began with M or S, by chance, not by design initially. When naming our kitten(s), I wanted a name that went with Suki, and the Japanese names were a good fit for obvious reasons! :-)

I am so sorry you lost Luke to a fibrosarcoma. Same thing with our Suki, but hers was between the shoulder blades. The damned thing is, my cats were (are) indoors only, and for most of their lives, we lived in a garden apt/condo, no access to other cats, and we gave them the leukemia vaccine for about 14 years. Needless to say, we don't give that vaccine anymore, although I do know it is useful in certain situations.

I hope your indoor/outdoor cat shows up, and is okay.

Mariposa, I sent an email last night, let me know if you get it (or not). I'll check back here tonight.

Maxxie looks like a little angel-boy sleeping. I'll bet he's dreaming about that pot of food you've cooked up for him! Give him a pet for me.

o

Hi all. Just wanted to give you an up date on Maxxie. He's eating up a storm, and actually moving around much more than a week ago. His eyes do not look as pained or drained as they were before, and he was interested in jumping and playing yesterday. We're hoping the chemo buys him several months at least. It's scary to think our Vet was going to put him down the week of Thanksgiving.

I went out and bought him a nice SS water/food bowl set yesterday and will put them in the laundry room. No matter where we move his bowl, he tries to push it there anyway! Since we're redoing the laundry area too (latest edition to my kitchen remodel), we figured that he should keep his spot.

Someone told me to incorporate a zone for future animals though. Should I rethink Maxxie's spot and encourage him to eat somewhere else, or keep the laundry room for a future pet (not sure I can have another one, but we never know)... What do you all think?

o

Mari,
I am so glad to hear Maxxie is better. I have been thinking of you both. If Maxxie wants to eat/drink in the laundry room, I think you should let him. Let him be where he's comfortable. I also think it is a good idea to incorporate a zone for future animals. Maxxie has obviously given you a lot of joy, and I think at some point in the future you will want another pet. Hope all continues to go well for Maxxie.
Lisa

o

Hi Lisa, thanks for your wishes. Should I make the feeding zone permanent in the laundry room for "future" pets? I was wondering whether we should leave it there.

o

Mari---absolutely plan a feeding zone, as I told you, it will be good to have a spot should you want one. If you want the area to be the same as Maxxie's current spot, so be it. If you decide to make a new area, that's great, too. We were feeding our cats now in almost the same spot as the place we used to feed our "in-heaven" cats. We had to separate the bowls a bit more with our other cats, because one would usually eat the other's food. It's not as big an issue with these two, so their bowls can be a little closer. Of course they will be totally confused, because they are now confined to one section of the house, and eating in the office/extra bedroom instead of their usual spot in the now domolished kitchen, and will have a new eating area in the reno'd kitchen!

Glad to read that Maxxie is doing well this week!!! Give him a big hug from us!

o

Hi Cat, We tried moving his bowls while the laundry room had our drywall guy's tools, and he refused to eat, so as soon as they left, we returned the bowls and there he was eating and drinking. He's a creature of habits.

How is your remodelling coming along? I finally got my can lights in (minus trim), and I'm thrilled :-). Undercab wiring was completed today. We're still waiting for word on widening a wall and opening up the window by my sink. Slowly but surely it's shaping up. Cabs are in the making. Saw them yesterday (sort of a skeleton batch really), and we were excited. That's so much better than ordering from a company and waiting for your order. We may go back out next week to see the staining of doors.

o

Demo began yesterday! The cabinets are just about emptied out (tupperware cabinet and under sink cab left to do tonight)! And you all thought I couldn't get it done in time...! :-)

Electrician is coming on Thursday to upgrade the service. We'll have to remember to ask him to check on some of the existing circuits. We popped one while running the micro in our new LR/DR/Kitchen with the TV on and fridge plugged in! I have to ask him again about the recessed lights. I know we're getting the sloped ceiling ones. He mentioned Halo, but I've seen Juno mentioned here. Don't know about the difference....

Cats seemed confused as to new eating arrangement, but ate nonetheless! We let them out into the rest of the house tonight. Not sure if we'll let them roam around over the weekend, or not. I guess it's nicer for them to be out when it's safe for them to be, so they're not locked up for the entire reno. I'll probably lock them in with us when we go to bed, and whenever we're out. They could feasibly end up in the walls knowing my one in particular....!

o

Hey Mari,

Sorry I managed to miss your earlier post. That pix of Maxxie sleeping is so poignant! I am so happy to hear he has rebounded - how gratifying. I just re-read thru the thread, and I feel quietly happy to look back at the journey - and that the chemo has paid off.

It's funny - but back in 1990, my mother was faced with a similar dilemma, if I may compare a human cancer case here - a suddenly fast and aggressive cancer of the face forced some rapid fire decisions - the locals wanted to perform surgery that would have destroyed her voice box - and though chemo had always sounded like "the ugly treatment" to me before - in light of the surgical prospects, we flew to Boston (a wild plane trip) and got her into a clinical chemo trial at the Dana-Farber. (The serious minded oncologist said to her, "Can you walk around theese building 3 times??" "Do I have to?," my weakened mother replied, taking him literally. He just wanted to guage if she could stand up to the treatment. To make a long story short - after many fruitful years in remission - she is still with us, conversing well, and in good spirits at age 96.

My best to you and your family and that valiant sweetie, Maxxie.

Cat, thanks for the background on your Suki. What a wonderful family of cats! Our Mr. Gray never showed up, and I just pray that he hasn't suffered unduly. We searched and searched, but I imagine (hope) he just quietly passed away in some sheltered spot. Thanks for your concern.

o

Well guess who celebrated another birthday? Our little Maxxie was 11 years old on January 16th. He refused to allow us to put a birthday hat on his head, and instead, he grabbed a piece of bubble wrap and wouldn't let us get near him!! He's been a little naughty lately getting into trash, stealing a rib bone and refusing to eat in the space I planned for him. It's funny to watch this 9 lb terror use his nose and paws to move his bowl around the kitchen.

Another way to get rid of junk mail. Again, we couldn't get that piece of paper away from him because he'd growl and hiss, LOL

o

Just catching up on all the past posts about Maxxie, wow you are so blessed to still have him! He is adorable. Our Midgi was 15 when she passed away 2 months ago, she really was a part of our family and with my kids for most of their lives. Best wishes to him, he still looks like a pup!

o

Vic, He really looks well considering all the chemo and steroids he's been on. We are really blessed to still have him with us, and I get shivers everytime I think back to the Vet's advice about putting him down.

So sorry to hear about your Midgi. Do you have other pets?

I dread when that times comes for Maxxie, but I see this as a second chance with him and we enjoy every day that goes by. He's being well cared for and he's taking full advantage of the A+ treatment, trust me!!

o
zone feeding

Vic, He really looks well considering all the chemo and steroids he's been on. We are really blessed to still have him with us, and I get shivers everytime I think back to the Vet's advice about putting him down.

So sorry to hear about your Midgi. Do you have other pets?

I dread when that times comes for Maxxie, but I see this as a second chance with him and we enjoy every day that goes by. He's being well cared for and he's taking full advantage of the A+ treatment, trust me!!

o

Happy Birthday, Maxxie! I've been thinking of you and your family, Mari, and am happy to hear Maxxie is having a good time. I am writing this with my laptop held cradled in my left arm in an awkward position just so our 6-pound cockapoo can sleep on my legs. The things we do for our pets. Vic, I am sorry to hear about Midgi. I'm glad you had 15 years with her.

o

Brachl, thanks for the wishes. I've set up a nice spot for Maxxie so we wouldn't bump into his bowls but he looks at me as if I'm nuts and proceeds to push them away from that area! So we decided to please the little monster and go back to what he was used to, even though DD has tripped twice today and spilled his water. He reminds me of Mr. Monk.

Your legs must be awfully comfy :-).

o

Thanks, Midgi was a wonderful girl that we found or she found us, she was a corgi mix. I also have Bosco, a 9 year old 110lb. chocolate lab and a new member to our family, Bella, a rescue mix little girl that I am in the puppy stages with again and having a ball. I also have a Maine Coon named Tobias and a mixed kitty named Nala. Oh, my husband also has a parrot named Uno...we are a regular zoo! I couldn't think of a home without pets! I wish I had more room in my kitchen for a feeding area...I am in the planning stages and I just don't think I can do it. I currently store all food in a closet/pantry in the family room under the stairway. I will try to put my pics on so you can see what you think. Thanks!

o

wow, vic -sounds like your home must be fun -- my DH is allergic to cats, so we have only dogs - our cockapoo Casey & a 65-pound 1/2 chow named Maestro who was a rescue - he's a wonderful dog, although i think he wishes he was a lap dog -every time we have company, Casey gets held and he doesn't -- i'm a big believer in animal rescue organizations - when our son was bar mitzvahed, we had centerpieces made that contained items for our local APS and wildlife rescue center -and then donated the centerpeices in honor of our son after the event -- the organizations were delighted and we were pleased that some part of the party was focused on charity -- when i met a designer at a custom cabinet shop, i told him i wanted a feeding area for our dogs - and he had never heard of anyone doing that! - we are still trying to figure out where to put it - i don't mind storing their food in the laundry room, but right now their dishes are on the floor between our breakfast room & our family room, and they get knocked over occasionally.... once our plans are closer to finalized, i will post them here for people's advice

o

Mari,

Missed this thread earlier, and just read through, dreading a bad ending. And then to see Maxie's pix yesterday!! Wow. I'm so happy for you.

My ancient Border Collie/Spanier mix Lucy is on the decline. Deaf, half blind, arthritic - but still a joy and our best dog ever.

I know you treasure every day with Maxie. Thank you so much for the uplifting update!

o

Mari: Maxxie looks great! How wonderful he's being naughty!

Here's to lots more time as junk mail shredder...

o

Mari, I had passed over this thread thinking it was about planning a bar area in the kitchen! Had no idea you were having puppy troubles.

Your little guy is adorable. I have no doubt your love is keeping him going.

When our old dog was on her last legs, we made every effort to accomodate her. It was inconvenient, but it wasn't 'time' to put her down. DH, who ordinarily wasn't particularly attentive, would feed her by hand and carry her tenderly down the stairs in the morning and back up at night. I don't see this side of him often, he was a good 'example' for the kids.

She was like a little frail aunt, never complaining and always cheerful and most appreciative for what was done for her. It hurt her to be held or carried, but she would nuzzle her face into our necks when we carried her- a kind of 'pug hug' of thanks.

It was a lovely lesson for our children. It was a privilege to take care of this dear dog who had devoted her life to us. It was neither convenient nor easy, but it was joyous repayment on our part for her years of friendship.

I'm glad Maxxie is doing well. We dog lovers on the forum understand, and are pulling for her!

o

Toomuch, This little rascal is really taking over the household and don't talk about junk mail shredding!! I swear since his "near death" experience, he has adopted a different attitude.

Pecan, We're going back to the Oncologist on the 28th for more blood work. He does have a heart problem but they didn't think it was cause for concern...YET. Thanks for your thoughts and wishes all. I am still amazed at how deeply we love this animal. My DD said this morning that she thought he looked a little under the weather. We tend to pay extra close attention to his eating, potty and sleeping habits these days. Besides, the oncologist usually wants lots of info so it can't hurt. Still, we dread the day we'll have to say goodbye, but you all know that feeling.

Brachl, Have you figured out your feeding area yet? As far as our feeding zone is concerned...Maxxie must believe it's for "another" dog, because he'll push his bowl right back to where it used to be. In other words, where we can trip over it!!!

Celtic, a good friend of ours has a dog that sounds like yours. They just found out that she also has a heart problem, but like you, they continue loving their darling pooch and enjoying their time together.

o

Hi Mari,

Good to hear news of your Maxxie. My son and his girlfriend just had to put down an older dog they had mutually adopted from a pound where he had lived all his life. They had him for almost a year, but he developed multiple tumors in his liver and couldn't eat or even handle water.

My son choked up when I reminded him that they had given the dog a chance to have a real home before he died.

Our dear Mr. Black who is now ten yrs old. is my constant companion. I will be totally at loose ends when his time comes.

It is so funny that Maxxie pushes his water bowl back to the old spot. They each have their distinct personalities and preferences.

o

Hi Jubilee, So sorry to hear about your son's dog, but you are right, he had a good, loving home before leaving them and that should make them feel a little better.

Tomorrow is Maxxie's appointment with the Oncologist. She cancelled the other day because of an emergency. He looks and acts so normal now that it is hard to believe he has cancer. I hope the remission lasts a long time.

Yes, they do have their own personalities and weird ways as well. His latest antic regarding the food bowl is to push it in front the new refrigerator. If we move it, he'll push it right back! We have never fed this dog anywhere near a refrigerator before, so I'm not sure what's up with him. I am beginning to think he has OCD!!

o

Too funny! I will keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer that your valiant little Maxxie is indeed A-OK! Keep us posted!

o

You know I am pulling for the little guy, go Maxxie, go!!!

o

I wanted to let everyone know that Maxxie's checkup yesterday was A+!! We are thrilled and he must be too. There is no sign of the tumour, and his blood work was perfect. The oncologist recommends that he stays on a low dose of chemo indefinitely together with Prednisone. He will alternate taking these. His appetite is still that of a huge dog, and of course, he's still refusing to accept a new feeding zone. So much for that. I guess Maxxie has earned his right to eat what he wants and where he wants. Nothing like a near death experience.

Yesterday I wanted to strangle him though. When I was ready for us to head out to the doctor, he hid below my king sized bed and wouldn't come out. He can tell when we're going to the park and when I'm going out (different shoes)! I had to use three different goodies to bait him from under that bed, so consequently we were late. They all laughed at the Dr's office over his antics. I tell you, Maxxie really has a "kick @$$" attitude these days.

Thanks again for checking in and wishing us well. His doc said she can't tell us how long he will last and whether or not chemo will cure him. The prescription did say 'ENJOY your Pet' as well, so we'll follow the doctor's orders for now :-)

o

Thank goodness! I am so happy for you and for Maxxie! I had my fingers crossed that you'd get good news yesterday.

He has really become a class mascot of sorts. The other grades don't really mention him at all, but my kindergarteners talk to his picture, and mention him all the time. A friend at work gave us a picture of her dog (a Maltese?) to hang up too, and the kids wanted to know if it was Maxxie's friend, and were comparing their fur color, etc. Very cute.

Don't tell Maxxie he's a celebrity though. It might go to his head....!!!! :-)

o

Oh Mari, Hooray! What good news!

It's sad, a gal in the women's Sunday School class I attend delivered the news this morning that her pert little companion, Matches, died in his sleep during the night, right on her bed. He was trained as a nursing home companion, and was scheduled to stay at the nursing home for a week when she goes on an upcoming trip. She was quite broken up about it.

So - let's love them now - and thanks for the good news!

o

Hi guys! Here are some pics of the little stinker hiding below my desk. We were going to give him a bath and once he saw his towel, he ran off to hide! I don't know why, but Maxxie has never liked a bath, not even when we take him to be groomed.

In the second pic, he perked up when I mentioned a "goody."
Now tell me how a 12 lb dog (he gained 3 1/2 pounds since being on chemo and steroids) can control so many adults around him?

o

I love the two expressions in the different photos! Funny boy!

o

What great news. Your family must be so happy. Maxxie sure is cute. What expression. I don't want to sound dumb but what type of dog is Maxxie? Does he shed? He looks so spoiled and ready to boss. Give him a hug for me.

o

Mari, so very glad to hear Maxi is doing better. He sure is cute!

o

Hey Mari,

Were those s'posed to be links? Or do we go to Photobucket and go from there?

o

Mari,
I'm thrilled that Maxxie is doing so well. You are so right; it's amazing how a small dog (our little one is only 6 pounds) can control adults! But they are so worth it.
Best,
Lisa

o

Mari:

I haven't checked into GW in a while until recently - and I was wondering about Maxxie. Is he ok?

o

Hello, I too haven't been around much. Maxxie is doing very well, and we have passed the 6 month mark they gave us of his expected life span with cancer!! He's now a little over 8 months, and we're keeping our fingers crossed. We are still seeing the oncologist, and Maxxie has to take a low dose chemo tablet every 48 hours, but we don't mind. He's eating as usual, and loves his 3 mile walks in the evenings.

Will have to post some recent pics soon. Thanks for asking.

Mari

o

Hey Mari--I'll need some new pics of my buddy to post at school. The kids think he's their mascot!!

Glad to hear he's doing so well!

o

Wonderful Mari!

I'm so glad to hear that. Sometimes I guess it's just knowing that they're loved that makes all the difference. I hope you have many many many more 3 mile evening walks.

Would love to see pix.

o

Mari,
That's wonderful news! I'm impressed Maxxie will walk 3 miles. I think the most my cockapoo has ever done has been 2. I guess I should start taking longer walks with her. I hope you have many more wonderful times.

o

On our walk yesterday. He loves to look out and make sure we're going to the park and not the oncologist or vet!

First one was him wondering if we were REALLY going for a walk.

At the park.

Three miles still does NOT tire him out!! He'd walk some more if we let him. Only time he did not walk was during his rough days before Thanksgiving and Christmas. The cancer and then chemo treatments left him wiped out.

Still can't believe he went through all that.

o

Mari,
He's so adorable! I had a rotten day, and seeing Maxxie look so perky and happy gave me a real lift. Thanks for posting.

o

You're very welcome!! It's hard to believe he's been through so much and still looks young. He is now 11 1/2 yrs old. Hope you have a better day tomorrow :-)

Mari

o

Such a handsome boy! Always love to see pics of him looking so well.

o

Mr. Maxxie is now off chemo and is considered to be in remission. He's developed some weird tastes lately...anything fishy! He loves cod, salmon, sardines and tuna. We've eaten these things for years and he never showed any interest until he began chemo, isn't that strange?

He had been on a low dose every 48 hours, but we were told his white blood cell count was low, so now it's a watch and see how he does without chemo.

Thanks again for all your posts :-)

Mari

o

Mari,
This is fabulous news! I am thrilled for you and Maxxie.

o

Mari,

That is wonderful! I'm so happy for all of you. Maxxi looks great in those pictures. (cod, salmon, sardines and tuna? - maybe the chemo brought out his inner cat?)

So happy for you guys!

o

Guess who is having a birthday tomorrow? MAXXIE is!!

He will be 13 :-)

We're thrilled that after what we went through in 2006, our Maxxie was able to spend two Thanksgivings and two Christmasses. Will be posting some pics of him soon.

Mari

o

Happy Birthday to Maxxie!!!!! I am so happy for him and for your family that he's been able to continue enjoying life with you! Give him some happy birthday hugs and kisses for me!

o

Mari, so glad that Maxxie is doing so well. I have followed his saga on the forum. I love animals, as I know you do. Happy Birthday to Maxxie!

o

Thank you so much Shequit and Cat.

He is indeed love a whole lot, and this birthday is very special. Every day we get is like a gift in itself :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here