Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

While planning a feeding zone

Two weeks ago, our dog had surgery to remove a huge tumour in his mouth. We had noticed a swelling on his face and also that his breath was just awful. Anyway, after the vet took a look, they said the growth had to be removed, and we figured that was that.

Today DH took him back in and to our shock, found out that the tumour they removed 10 days ago, is BACK with a vengance. It's black and much bigger, and is spreading very quickly. DH then took him to the surgeon to see what our options were, and was told that they would have to remove a major part of pooch's jaw, and that it would be like cutting out half his face! Needless to say, we're in shock. Our pooch is 11 year old and has always been in great health.

Pooch also has a heart condition (diagnosed two weeks ago), and the vet said she didn't recommend radiation treatments. She said that the surgery would only buy him about 6 months (maximum), and that healing time for this type of surgery could take a good 3 months...I'm just so sick over this that I could not eat today. So much for planning to incorporate a nice area for our pooch, with new SS feeding bowls and a lovely pillow :-(

Treat your pooches well...

Comments (115)

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Cat, you might have to send me an email first because I don't see the link on your page. Thanks for all the tips. I'll call the oncologist tomorrow again and report how he's doing. He just drank quite a lot of water which was good, and his bowl was clean so he did eat the rest of his dinner. I also cooked up a pot of carrots, lamb, chicken and beef until it was very tender, and used the blender to puree everything. Will heat that up for him tomorrow. He has always loved the scent of meat!

Even though the chemo is making him lethargic, he's still more alive than he was last week because he at least wants to eat a little. Last Monday he simply quit his water and food and wouldn't move. It breaks my heart to watch him though because he can't say how he feels. At least babies can bawl their heads off, this guy just keeps very quiet...no whimpering or whining.

Here is a pic of Maxxie sleeping today. Jubilee, I hope you find your cat. How long ago did he go missing? Do you think he's too sick to find his way home? I hope not.
    {{gwi:1551492}}

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

Jubilee, yes Suki was my second baby, Misha was my first. When I knew I was looking for a second cat, I'd asked my students (mostly Japanese at the time, I teach ESL) for some name suggestions. Someone suggested Suki (which means "to like or love"), and of course that was it! After we lost Misha, we had a kitten all too briefly (FIP) named Mayu. Now we have Shizu and Miku. We'd noticed a pattern with our family's cats years ago: all of their names began with M or S, by chance, not by design initially. When naming our kitten(s), I wanted a name that went with Suki, and the Japanese names were a good fit for obvious reasons! :-)

I am so sorry you lost Luke to a fibrosarcoma. Same thing with our Suki, but hers was between the shoulder blades. The damned thing is, my cats were (are) indoors only, and for most of their lives, we lived in a garden apt/condo, no access to other cats, and we gave them the leukemia vaccine for about 14 years. Needless to say, we don't give that vaccine anymore, although I do know it is useful in certain situations.

I hope your indoor/outdoor cat shows up, and is okay.

Mariposa, I sent an email last night, let me know if you get it (or not). I'll check back here tonight.

Maxxie looks like a little angel-boy sleeping. I'll bet he's dreaming about that pot of food you've cooked up for him! Give him a pet for me.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi all. Just wanted to give you an up date on Maxxie. He's eating up a storm, and actually moving around much more than a week ago. His eyes do not look as pained or drained as they were before, and he was interested in jumping and playing yesterday. We're hoping the chemo buys him several months at least. It's scary to think our Vet was going to put him down the week of Thanksgiving.

I went out and bought him a nice SS water/food bowl set yesterday and will put them in the laundry room. No matter where we move his bowl, he tries to push it there anyway! Since we're redoing the laundry area too (latest edition to my kitchen remodel), we figured that he should keep his spot.

Someone told me to incorporate a zone for future animals though. Should I rethink Maxxie's spot and encourage him to eat somewhere else, or keep the laundry room for a future pet (not sure I can have another one, but we never know)... What do you all think?

• brachl
    17 years ago

Mari,
    I am so glad to hear Maxxie is better. I have been thinking of you both. If Maxxie wants to eat/drink in the laundry room, I think you should let him. Let him be where he's comfortable. I also think it is a good idea to incorporate a zone for future animals. Maxxie has obviously given you a lot of joy, and I think at some point in the future you will want another pet. Hope all continues to go well for Maxxie.
    Lisa

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Lisa, thanks for your wishes. Should I make the feeding zone permanent in the laundry room for "future" pets? I was wondering whether we should leave it there.

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

Mari---absolutely plan a feeding zone, as I told you, it will be good to have a spot should you want one. If you want the area to be the same as Maxxie's current spot, so be it. If you decide to make a new area, that's great, too. We were feeding our cats now in almost the same spot as the place we used to feed our "in-heaven" cats. We had to separate the bowls a bit more with our other cats, because one would usually eat the other's food. It's not as big an issue with these two, so their bowls can be a little closer. Of course they will be totally confused, because they are now confined to one section of the house, and eating in the office/extra bedroom instead of their usual spot in the now domolished kitchen, and will have a new eating area in the reno'd kitchen!

Glad to read that Maxxie is doing well this week!!! Give him a big hug from us!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Cat, We tried moving his bowls while the laundry room had our drywall guy's tools, and he refused to eat, so as soon as they left, we returned the bowls and there he was eating and drinking. He's a creature of habits.

How is your remodelling coming along? I finally got my can lights in (minus trim), and I'm thrilled :-). Undercab wiring was completed today. We're still waiting for word on widening a wall and opening up the window by my sink. Slowly but surely it's shaping up. Cabs are in the making. Saw them yesterday (sort of a skeleton batch really), and we were excited. That's so much better than ordering from a company and waiting for your order. We may go back out next week to see the staining of doors.

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

Demo began yesterday! The cabinets are just about emptied out (tupperware cabinet and under sink cab left to do tonight)! And you all thought I couldn't get it done in time...! :-)

Electrician is coming on Thursday to upgrade the service. We'll have to remember to ask him to check on some of the existing circuits. We popped one while running the micro in our new LR/DR/Kitchen with the TV on and fridge plugged in! I have to ask him again about the recessed lights. I know we're getting the sloped ceiling ones. He mentioned Halo, but I've seen Juno mentioned here. Don't know about the difference....

Cats seemed confused as to new eating arrangement, but ate nonetheless! We let them out into the rest of the house tonight. Not sure if we'll let them roam around over the weekend, or not. I guess it's nicer for them to be out when it's safe for them to be, so they're not locked up for the entire reno. I'll probably lock them in with us when we go to bed, and whenever we're out. They could feasibly end up in the walls knowing my one in particular....!

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Hey Mari,

Sorry I managed to miss your earlier post. That pix of Maxxie sleeping is so poignant! I am so happy to hear he has rebounded - how gratifying. I just re-read thru the thread, and I feel quietly happy to look back at the journey - and that the chemo has paid off.

It's funny - but back in 1990, my mother was faced with a similar dilemma, if I may compare a human cancer case here - a suddenly fast and aggressive cancer of the face forced some rapid fire decisions - the locals wanted to perform surgery that would have destroyed her voice box - and though chemo had always sounded like "the ugly treatment" to me before - in light of the surgical prospects, we flew to Boston (a wild plane trip) and got her into a clinical chemo trial at the Dana-Farber. (The serious minded oncologist said to her, "Can you walk around theese building 3 times??" "Do I have to?," my weakened mother replied, taking him literally. He just wanted to guage if she could stand up to the treatment. To make a long story short - after many fruitful years in remission - she is still with us, conversing well, and in good spirits at age 96.

My best to you and your family and that valiant sweetie, Maxxie.

Cat, thanks for the background on your Suki. What a wonderful family of cats! Our Mr. Gray never showed up, and I just pray that he hasn't suffered unduly. We searched and searched, but I imagine (hope) he just quietly passed away in some sheltered spot. Thanks for your concern.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well guess who celebrated another birthday? Our little Maxxie was 11 years old on January 16th. He refused to allow us to put a birthday hat on his head, and instead, he grabbed a piece of bubble wrap and wouldn't let us get near him!! He's been a little naughty lately getting into trash, stealing a rib bone and refusing to eat in the space I planned for him. It's funny to watch this 9 lb terror use his nose and paws to move his bowl around the kitchen.

Another way to get rid of junk mail. Again, we couldn't get that piece of paper away from him because he'd growl and hiss, LOL

• vicnsb
    17 years ago

Just catching up on all the past posts about Maxxie, wow you are so blessed to still have him! He is adorable. Our Midgi was 15 when she passed away 2 months ago, she really was a part of our family and with my kids for most of their lives. Best wishes to him, he still looks like a pup!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Vic, He really looks well considering all the chemo and steroids he's been on. We are really blessed to still have him with us, and I get shivers everytime I think back to the Vet's advice about putting him down.

So sorry to hear about your Midgi. Do you have other pets?

I dread when that times comes for Maxxie, but I see this as a second chance with him and we enjoy every day that goes by. He's being well cared for and he's taking full advantage of the A+ treatment, trust me!!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Vic, He really looks well considering all the chemo and steroids he's been on. We are really blessed to still have him with us, and I get shivers everytime I think back to the Vet's advice about putting him down.

So sorry to hear about your Midgi. Do you have other pets?

I dread when that times comes for Maxxie, but I see this as a second chance with him and we enjoy every day that goes by. He's being well cared for and he's taking full advantage of the A+ treatment, trust me!!

• brachl
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday, Maxxie! I've been thinking of you and your family, Mari, and am happy to hear Maxxie is having a good time. I am writing this with my laptop held cradled in my left arm in an awkward position just so our 6-pound cockapoo can sleep on my legs. The things we do for our pets. Vic, I am sorry to hear about Midgi. I'm glad you had 15 years with her.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Brachl, thanks for the wishes. I've set up a nice spot for Maxxie so we wouldn't bump into his bowls but he looks at me as if I'm nuts and proceeds to push them away from that area! So we decided to please the little monster and go back to what he was used to, even though DD has tripped twice today and spilled his water. He reminds me of Mr. Monk.

Your legs must be awfully comfy :-).

• vicnsb
    17 years ago

Thanks, Midgi was a wonderful girl that we found or she found us, she was a corgi mix. I also have Bosco, a 9 year old 110lb. chocolate lab and a new member to our family, Bella, a rescue mix little girl that I am in the puppy stages with again and having a ball. I also have a Maine Coon named Tobias and a mixed kitty named Nala. Oh, my husband also has a parrot named Uno...we are a regular zoo! I couldn't think of a home without pets! I wish I had more room in my kitchen for a feeding area...I am in the planning stages and I just don't think I can do it. I currently store all food in a closet/pantry in the family room under the stairway. I will try to put my pics on so you can see what you think. Thanks!

• brachl
    17 years ago

wow, vic -sounds like your home must be fun -- my DH is allergic to cats, so we have only dogs - our cockapoo Casey & a 65-pound 1/2 chow named Maestro who was a rescue - he's a wonderful dog, although i think he wishes he was a lap dog -every time we have company, Casey gets held and he doesn't -- i'm a big believer in animal rescue organizations - when our son was bar mitzvahed, we had centerpieces made that contained items for our local APS and wildlife rescue center -and then donated the centerpeices in honor of our son after the event -- the organizations were delighted and we were pleased that some part of the party was focused on charity -- when i met a designer at a custom cabinet shop, i told him i wanted a feeding area for our dogs - and he had never heard of anyone doing that! - we are still trying to figure out where to put it - i don't mind storing their food in the laundry room, but right now their dishes are on the floor between our breakfast room & our family room, and they get knocked over occasionally.... once our plans are closer to finalized, i will post them here for people's advice

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Mari,

Missed this thread earlier, and just read through, dreading a bad ending. And then to see Maxie's pix yesterday!! Wow. I'm so happy for you.

My ancient Border Collie/Spanier mix Lucy is on the decline. Deaf, half blind, arthritic - but still a joy and our best dog ever.

I know you treasure every day with Maxie. Thank you so much for the uplifting update!

• toomuchtochoosefrom
    17 years ago

Mari: Maxxie looks great! How wonderful he's being naughty!

Here's to lots more time as junk mail shredder...

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

Mari, I had passed over this thread thinking it was about planning a bar area in the kitchen! Had no idea you were having puppy troubles.

Your little guy is adorable. I have no doubt your love is keeping him going.

When our old dog was on her last legs, we made every effort to accomodate her. It was inconvenient, but it wasn't 'time' to put her down. DH, who ordinarily wasn't particularly attentive, would feed her by hand and carry her tenderly down the stairs in the morning and back up at night. I don't see this side of him often, he was a good 'example' for the kids.

She was like a little frail aunt, never complaining and always cheerful and most appreciative for what was done for her. It hurt her to be held or carried, but she would nuzzle her face into our necks when we carried her- a kind of 'pug hug' of thanks.

It was a lovely lesson for our children. It was a privilege to take care of this dear dog who had devoted her life to us. It was neither convenient nor easy, but it was joyous repayment on our part for her years of friendship.

I'm glad Maxxie is doing well. We dog lovers on the forum understand, and are pulling for her!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Toomuch, This little rascal is really taking over the household and don't talk about junk mail shredding!! I swear since his "near death" experience, he has adopted a different attitude.

Pecan, We're going back to the Oncologist on the 28th for more blood work. He does have a heart problem but they didn't think it was cause for concern...YET. Thanks for your thoughts and wishes all. I am still amazed at how deeply we love this animal. My DD said this morning that she thought he looked a little under the weather. We tend to pay extra close attention to his eating, potty and sleeping habits these days. Besides, the oncologist usually wants lots of info so it can't hurt. Still, we dread the day we'll have to say goodbye, but you all know that feeling.

Brachl, Have you figured out your feeding area yet? As far as our feeding zone is concerned...Maxxie must believe it's for "another" dog, because he'll push his bowl right back to where it used to be. In other words, where we can trip over it!!!

Celtic, a good friend of ours has a dog that sounds like yours. They just found out that she also has a heart problem, but like you, they continue loving their darling pooch and enjoying their time together.

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Hi Mari,

Good to hear news of your Maxxie. My son and his girlfriend just had to put down an older dog they had mutually adopted from a pound where he had lived all his life. They had him for almost a year, but he developed multiple tumors in his liver and couldn't eat or even handle water.

My son choked up when I reminded him that they had given the dog a chance to have a real home before he died.

Our dear Mr. Black who is now ten yrs old. is my constant companion. I will be totally at loose ends when his time comes.

It is so funny that Maxxie pushes his water bowl back to the old spot. They each have their distinct personalities and preferences.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Jubilee, So sorry to hear about your son's dog, but you are right, he had a good, loving home before leaving them and that should make them feel a little better.

Tomorrow is Maxxie's appointment with the Oncologist. She cancelled the other day because of an emergency. He looks and acts so normal now that it is hard to believe he has cancer. I hope the remission lasts a long time.

Yes, they do have their own personalities and weird ways as well. His latest antic regarding the food bowl is to push it in front the new refrigerator. If we move it, he'll push it right back! We have never fed this dog anywhere near a refrigerator before, so I'm not sure what's up with him. I am beginning to think he has OCD!!

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Too funny! I will keep my fingers crossed and say a prayer that your valiant little Maxxie is indeed A-OK! Keep us posted!

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

You know I am pulling for the little guy, go Maxxie, go!!!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I wanted to let everyone know that Maxxie's checkup yesterday was A+!! We are thrilled and he must be too. There is no sign of the tumour, and his blood work was perfect. The oncologist recommends that he stays on a low dose of chemo indefinitely together with Prednisone. He will alternate taking these. His appetite is still that of a huge dog, and of course, he's still refusing to accept a new feeding zone. So much for that. I guess Maxxie has earned his right to eat what he wants and where he wants. Nothing like a near death experience.

Yesterday I wanted to strangle him though. When I was ready for us to head out to the doctor, he hid below my king sized bed and wouldn't come out. He can tell when we're going to the park and when I'm going out (different shoes)! I had to use three different goodies to bait him from under that bed, so consequently we were late. They all laughed at the Dr's office over his antics. I tell you, Maxxie really has a "kick @$$" attitude these days.

Thanks again for checking in and wishing us well. His doc said she can't tell us how long he will last and whether or not chemo will cure him. The prescription did say 'ENJOY your Pet' as well, so we'll follow the doctor's orders for now :-)

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

Thank goodness! I am so happy for you and for Maxxie! I had my fingers crossed that you'd get good news yesterday.

He has really become a class mascot of sorts. The other grades don't really mention him at all, but my kindergarteners talk to his picture, and mention him all the time. A friend at work gave us a picture of her dog (a Maltese?) to hang up too, and the kids wanted to know if it was Maxxie's friend, and were comparing their fur color, etc. Very cute.

Don't tell Maxxie he's a celebrity though. It might go to his head....!!!! :-)

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Oh Mari, Hooray! What good news!

It's sad, a gal in the women's Sunday School class I attend delivered the news this morning that her pert little companion, Matches, died in his sleep during the night, right on her bed. He was trained as a nursing home companion, and was scheduled to stay at the nursing home for a week when she goes on an upcoming trip. She was quite broken up about it.

So - let's love them now - and thanks for the good news!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi guys! Here are some pics of the little stinker hiding below my desk. We were going to give him a bath and once he saw his towel, he ran off to hide! I don't know why, but Maxxie has never liked a bath, not even when we take him to be groomed.

{{gwi:1551498}}

In the second pic, he perked up when I mentioned a "goody."
    Now tell me how a 12 lb dog (he gained 3 1/2 pounds since being on chemo and steroids) can control so many adults around him?
    {{gwi:1551500}}

• cat_mom
    17 years ago

I love the two expressions in the different photos! Funny boy!

• dancefit
    17 years ago

What great news. Your family must be so happy. Maxxie sure is cute. What expression. I don't want to sound dumb but what type of dog is Maxxie? Does he shed? He looks so spoiled and ready to boss. Give him a hug for me.

• eandhl
    17 years ago

Mari, so very glad to hear Maxi is doing better. He sure is cute!

• jubileej
    17 years ago

Hey Mari,

Were those s'posed to be links? Or do we go to Photobucket and go from there?

• brachl
    17 years ago

Mari,
    I'm thrilled that Maxxie is doing so well. You are so right; it's amazing how a small dog (our little one is only 6 pounds) can control adults! But they are so worth it.
    Best,
    Lisa

• toomuchtochoosefrom
    16 years ago

Mari:

I haven't checked into GW in a while until recently - and I was wondering about Maxxie. Is he ok?

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello, I too haven't been around much. Maxxie is doing very well, and we have passed the 6 month mark they gave us of his expected life span with cancer!! He's now a little over 8 months, and we're keeping our fingers crossed. We are still seeing the oncologist, and Maxxie has to take a low dose chemo tablet every 48 hours, but we don't mind. He's eating as usual, and loves his 3 mile walks in the evenings.

Will have to post some recent pics soon. Thanks for asking.

Mari

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Hey Mari--I'll need some new pics of my buddy to post at school. The kids think he's their mascot!!

Glad to hear he's doing so well!

• toomuchtochoosefrom
    16 years ago

Wonderful Mari!

I'm so glad to hear that. Sometimes I guess it's just knowing that they're loved that makes all the difference. I hope you have many many many more 3 mile evening walks.

Would love to see pix.

• brachl
    16 years ago

Mari,
    That's wonderful news! I'm impressed Maxxie will walk 3 miles. I think the most my cockapoo has ever done has been 2. I guess I should start taking longer walks with her. I hope you have many more wonderful times.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

On our walk yesterday. He loves to look out and make sure we're going to the park and not the oncologist or vet!

First one was him wondering if we were REALLY going for a walk.

At the park.

Three miles still does NOT tire him out!! He'd walk some more if we let him. Only time he did not walk was during his rough days before Thanksgiving and Christmas. The cancer and then chemo treatments left him wiped out.

Still can't believe he went through all that.

• brachl
    16 years ago

Mari,
    He's so adorable! I had a rotten day, and seeing Maxxie look so perky and happy gave me a real lift. Thanks for posting.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

You're very welcome!! It's hard to believe he's been through so much and still looks young. He is now 11 1/2 yrs old. Hope you have a better day tomorrow :-)

Mari

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Such a handsome boy! Always love to see pics of him looking so well.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Mr. Maxxie is now off chemo and is considered to be in remission. He's developed some weird tastes lately...anything fishy! He loves cod, salmon, sardines and tuna. We've eaten these things for years and he never showed any interest until he began chemo, isn't that strange?

He had been on a low dose every 48 hours, but we were told his white blood cell count was low, so now it's a watch and see how he does without chemo.

Thanks again for all your posts :-)

Mari

• brachl
    16 years ago

Mari,
    This is fabulous news! I am thrilled for you and Maxxie.

• toomuchtochoosefrom
    16 years ago

Mari,

That is wonderful! I'm so happy for all of you. Maxxi looks great in those pictures. (cod, salmon, sardines and tuna? - maybe the chemo brought out his inner cat?)

So happy for you guys!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Guess who is having a birthday tomorrow? MAXXIE is!!

He will be 13 :-)

We're thrilled that after what we went through in 2006, our Maxxie was able to spend two Thanksgivings and two Christmasses. Will be posting some pics of him soon.

Mari

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Happy Birthday to Maxxie!!!!! I am so happy for him and for your family that he's been able to continue enjoying life with you! Give him some happy birthday hugs and kisses for me!

• shequit
    16 years ago

Mari, so glad that Maxxie is doing so well. I have followed his saga on the forum. I love animals, as I know you do. Happy Birthday to Maxxie!

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much Shequit and Cat.

He is indeed love a whole lot, and this birthday is very special. Every day we get is like a gift in itself :-)

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County