Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lavender_lass

X-post Can't hide from it any longer....time to de-clutter!

lavender_lass
9 years ago

I've been "playing" at organizing and getting rid of my clutter. A little bit here, a little bit there...but now it's time to get serious.

We are going to be downsizing to a much smaller area (at least temporarily) and I HAVE to get my act together! LOL

My husband is just as bad, but I've decided I will do MY mess first. Maybe he will be inspired (he has gone through a few things already) but we both need to eliminate a good 1/4 to 1/3 of our stuff.

The good thing...we'll be left with what we really use and love, with a lot less junk. And easier to keep organized...and faster to clean.

Now, my biggest challenge...dishes! I do not have a lot of clothes or jewelry, but I do love my dishes. They're pretty, sparkly...a bit of crystal and silver with a collection of lovely china pieces. Where do I go first at Goodwill? Okay, first is furniture (my other passion) but I always end up in dishes!

I seem to be more sentimental about my dishes than almost anything else...that's how I remember my grandmother and other fond memories, more than pictures and mementos. Most of our memories revolve around baking, cooking, dining, cleaning...all involving a wide variety of dishes, pans, mixing bowls, etc. And I only keep the 'good stuff'...maybe I just need to invest in hutches and get rid of other things :)

What's your weakness? Any tips?

Comments (3)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Lavender, you and I have the same passion. Pretty dishes, beautiful crystal and silver. When I have to downsize that will be the hardest to let go of.

I have a passion for books but I could let them go easier than my pretty china. Well, it would be easier because I could still read them on my Kindle or iPad even though it isn't the same. There is no substitute for our pretties though!

• lucillle
    9 years ago

Lavender

I have been working at decluttering for the last few years.
    I do not have multiple sets of china any more. I have a good set that I use both everyday and with guests.
    I just gave one of my two good sets of glassware/crystal to my son and his fiancé.
    I think if you give the items to family or friends, you know they will be appreciated.
    The many items I have decluttered out of my home, seriously I have not missed them at all.
    This past year, instead of doing it all at once I would decide on a certain amount of stuff to get rid of. I put it out on the sidewalk with a 'free/gratis' sign and the stuff was always gone in a few hours or less, and I like to think that the items helped someone else who may have needed them.
    Good luck with your efforts, it seems like once you successfully declutter a room and it is nice and open, it gets easier for the rest of the house.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

Good luck, Lavender! I helped my Mom move from a large house to a small apartment last year, and watching her get rid of a LOT of stuff inspired me to do the same at my house (oh, and I had to make room for some things she gave me...)

A lot of what I got rid of was junk. Keeping a cage, because my boys loved their pet rats, and maybe we'll get another one some day? Nope, we can buy a new cage if that happens (fat chance).

I have cabinets in the laundry room that were black holes. I emptied them completely - and found quarts of paint that were decades old. Those walls have been painted over twice since then! Cleaning out those cabinets gave me space for things I need to keep - and now there's room to find those things!

I'm sure you've heard all the tricks for purging closets, like put all the hangers in backwards, then turn it around when you use it. After X months, anything still on a backwards hanger goes out the door. Anything that doesn't fit is gone. And if you get rid of an outfit that had shoes to go with it - the shoes can go too.

I completely agree with Lucille - if you give things to family or friends, or donate them where you know they will be used, it's a lot easier to part with things. And getting things out of the house (like in the back seat of the car, to go to Goodwill) helps too.

Boxes from liquor stores make great packing boxes - sturdy, but not too big.

Have you posted in the "organizing the home" forum? There is a nice bunch of cheerleaders over there who will help you celebrate your accomplishments (and sympathize with procrastination).

Ann

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz