Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking Contest Question

Posted by sdionnemoore (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 11, 08 at 12:54

As you may or may not know, I'm the author of a cozy mystery series starring a delightfully sassy African American mother whose first love is cooking. As a marketing tool, I'd like to run a cooking contest with "LaTisha" (my heroine) as the "judge." Does any one have any experience with running a cooking contest and, if so, are there any things in particular I should be aware of or that would make this a not-so-great idea?

I'd probably structure it so that interested contestants leave a comment on LaTisha's blog that includes their recipe. I would then judge each entry over a period of a month, taking lots of photos and video to put on the blog, and announce the winnner, the prize being a guest appearance in the third book in the series and some other goodies.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking Contest Question

You should post this on the cooking forum, I know some of the forum members have entered cooking contests and a few have won.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooking forum

o

Also look for Pixistix (I think that's the spelling) on the Kitchen Table forum and on Cooking Forum. She's been the big winner in a number of cooking/recipe contests.

o

I won amateur chef of the world (ok of washington...maybe even just seattle but they called it washington LOL) many many moons ago. I've since entered several contests and taken home a prize or so. So, first I'd advise that you just google up "cooking contest" and look at some rules. Some want you to use specific manufacturers products (I've had to use pans, cheese, etc) and some want exactly the opposite.

Most require that the recipe not be published and that it be in the most part the enterants own recipe. They all require that the recipe and ingredients are shared, and you sign a release to release the recipe without compensation (aside from any prizes).

I normally enter contests where I bake my own recipe. I have entered one that I just sent in the recipe. They had three independant kitchens cook the recipe (yourself, and your sisters LOL or call me and I'll do one) and each gave their opinion on a score sheet, which normally covers ease of preperation (and always if that's part of the contest), appearance, originality and of course taste. Taste should be at least 40% of the factor if not more.

No family members to enter, or employees or say your publisher, unless you plan on killing the winner (which normally does not happen in a cooking contest, but heck, what fun) :OP

And in general, most have a theme of some sort...ie holiday (I always win those) or desserts, appetizers, down home cooking, etc., but some sort of theme.

I think it's a great idea :) I can't wait to enter :oP I know you've been wanting to take me out for some time anyhoo..please, take me back to my youth...a petite red head...and use a nice body bag...not some tacky burlap thing...I have standards :oP

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here