Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherilynn_gw

van & suv owners: why did you choose your vehicle?

sherilynn
16 years ago

I have a 2002 Toyota Sienna van that I want to replace because I want a new vehicle. This has been a good van and only has about 70,000 miles. I hate the price of new vehicles and don't see anything I'm just thrilled with out there.

I like having the flexibility of a van and don't want anything smaller than the one I own now. This van is 194" and the newer ones are about 7" longer. What I don't like is that the Toyota and some other vans have the gear shift in a location that I hate. It's now in a vertical, wierdly placed position off of the dash. It hurts my wrists shifting, so I'm not eager to buy another Toyota, or any van with the gear shift in that location.

I will be 49 in January and my youngest two are 14 and 16. The 16 old can't drive alone, so he'll still be toted for another year or so for sure. I still carpool a few times a week and haul band drums/instruments, so I need room. If you pick up three kiddos from school with bookbags and instruments you MUST have room for that luggage!

I want a vehicle that has electric doors and folding back seats, if possible. I think I've seen some that fold down into the floor with the push of a button. My hands and wrists are weak and I don't want to stress them anymore than I have to, so that's why I now want an automatic closing back door and side doors if I buy a van or SUV of some type.

I would also like the best gas mileage possible. I presently get 19 around town and 24 on the open highway. My husband says no gas guzzlers, so I have to get comparable mileage.

Would you please share with me your choices and why you chose your vehicle; and tell me about the deals you've gotten and from whom you bought your vehicle.

I would also be willing to travel or ship in a vehicle. My last van was bought brand new from a dealer off eBay and I saved over $6,000 shipping from NY to VA. My husband's Tundra was bought in NC, saving us over $4,000. We then lived in VA and he drove through NC on the way home from Christmas vacation in 2003 to buy his new truck. I found that guy off eBay, too, but called him directly and arranged for everything over the phone.

I'm all ears!

Sheri Lynn

Comments (2)