Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulines_gw

Could use some positive thoughts

paulines
18 years ago

In May, I left a job that I loved (looong story) and have been job searching since then. My hopes was to break into the kitchen design field (call me crazy). I have a fairly strong design/decorating background dating back to 1977, when I entered a very selective fashion & advertising design satellite program through FIT in NY. I externshipped working in ad & logo design and have worked in jobs that involved ad display and decorating consult since.

Anyway, interviewed at a couple cabinet places, but it seemed they were looking more for hard core sales people (read the proverbial used car salesman-lol) than creative souls that know their way around a kitchen-I have a really hard time being pushy, and we all know that the cabinet selection process is by education & competative pricing, not hard sales!

Yesterday, I got a call from a local cabinet place that needs a KD to run the showroom. We talked and seemed to hit it off. He felt he needed someone that had substantial showroom experience (of which I have none). He stated he wouldn't hesitate to hire me if he had a primary KD, to 'show me the ropes', as he is frequently unavailable for questions, etc. We left it as he may (really big may)be considering me and I should stop by and talk to him further sometime.

If you are still following this, any suggestions as to how to convince him I can do the job and do it well? Please send me positive job wishes this weekend, as I plan to gussy up and go see him Monday!

Comments (118)

• paulines
    Original Author
    18 years ago

No news as of yet (big sigh) ~

• pirula
    18 years ago

Hi Paulines!!

Sorry I haven't been reading what with all the remodeling AND Christmas stuff going on (my brain is about to explode).

My fingers are crossed and I am SO excited for you!!

Ivette

• 3katz4me
    18 years ago

Just checking - I saw a new post here - thought maybe there was some news......

• jfrorelo
    18 years ago

Here's a positive thought, the delay in 'hearing back' is probably to be expected and can work to your advantage. I do some of the hiring at my workplace and I have to say our process is pretty darn long. We go through all resumes and then do phone interviews and then do a face to face interview and then do a 2nd interview. We try to batch as many of these together as possible but there is always one that gets scheduled a week out and it kind of throws off the next step.

As far as your advantage during the lull - use this time to send a nice follow up note. Then wait a few days and email something that demonstrates you are on top of things. It could be an example of a design idea you have, or an article that is useful info for their business, etc. IF you are a contender, this will only impress them. IF you are not a contender, it probably won't make any difference at all, but it is not expensive or unduly time consuming.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

Just checking - I saw a new post here - thought maybe there was some news......

Same here!! Man, this waiting sucks!!

Pauline-- could you give him a call and let him know that he's stressing people out ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!

• pickles_ca
    18 years ago

Pauline - I came upon this thread late - but just wanted to send some good karma your way. Hope you hear soon - you must be sitting on pins and needles.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

That's GOTTA hurt!! :-)

• paulines
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lol Bill - don't worry, I wouldn't FIT on pins & needles.

Thanks again, you all are the bestest!

jfrorelo,
    I did follow up the interview with an email thanking them for their time and the opportunity to meet, etc. and yesterday left a VM for the man in charge. Thank you so much for your post, I'm a bit more encouraged!

• msazadi
    18 years ago

Good vibes from the left coast to ya ....Ommmmmm-ing! Maureen

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

(tapping fingers anxiously)

• pirula
    18 years ago

Just think: three months ago, he'd have been stressing people out all the way to CAIRO!! Go ahead and tell him he still is if it'll help.....

tapping my foot with one eyebrow cocked at this guy....

Ivette

P.S. I mean REALLY. Does he not sense your innate talent? Your panache?? Your zest for paint chips?? (oh wait, that's me and Sharon, never mind!)

Fingers AND toes crossed....

• paulines
    Original Author
    18 years ago

lol Ivette!

Speaking of paint chips, I have to pick colors for our master~I don't relish the thought! What brand are you using for your home?

• pirula
    18 years ago

You're joking right? ONE brand? Are you MAD???!!!!

I am using all kinds of different brands depending entirely on which color I like best! So far, I have only made one definite decision, and that is DK #3 for the masterbath. I am ALMOST completely decided on FPE's Buff Cochin for the living room and dining room, and Fog for the Master Bedroom. And I'm madly in love with C2's Parchment and will be using it in either the kitchen or the foyer.

But, DS and I are going to have fun fun fun painting BIG slabs of wall with sample colors this weekend. Should be able to advise soon.

Ivette

P.S. I take it there is no word from this dude? Lemme at him!

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

tapping my foot with one eyebrow cocked at this guy....

Ivette-- I read that, and all I could think of was that damned little rabbit on the perennial Christmas special Frosty the Snowman!! LMAO

• jfrorelo
    18 years ago

Okay, this waiting thing is getting old, LOL. Can you tell us more about the showroom and the position? Did he give you any indication of # of applicants or what their decision making was going to be based on? See, you don't have to obsess all by yourself, you've got us obsessing right along with you!

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

pauline, are you going to paint the master in your current house? As in the one you're selling? Or do you have a new house already and I missed it?

• pirula
    18 years ago

Bill: Exactly! PRECISELY!! :)

Paulines: Did I say Parchment? I meant Potsticker. I put that enormous sample board up last night and MAN! Is that a pretty color. What's funny is that the other contender for the kitchen has been Farrow & Ball's Matchstick and when I put them up next to each other, they're almost identical. When you like a color, you like a color.

You're selling your house???? NO WAY!

Ivette

• paulines
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Fly~
    It's our current master. We received suggestions from the RE agents we spoke with to 'freshen up' the trim paint (doors and baseboards) of the upstairs and we decided the master really needed new paint. DH does the painting himself, so it's not a huge deal.

Well guys, here's my bad news. I received a letter yesterday from the showroom-Thanks, but no thanks. Quite honestly, I was very surprised as they had given me a tour of the factory and had me talk to HR re' benefits and such. So frustrating! jfrorelo ~ the showroom is located near my home and is considered wholesale; that being contractors send their clients there.

It doesn't look good for my career as a KD as I really do need to find a job. It's unfortunate, as I passed on a couple of nice Administrative position offers, and now finding myself perhaps having to go back to that kind of work. I do like it and am good at it-but we always have our dreams-right?

Again, your support means the world to me-thanks guys!!!

• kitchencrazychris
    18 years ago

Pauline,
    So sorry to hear this job didn't work out for you --
    Especially when they'd given you the whole song and dance and really gotten your hopes up !! Sounded like a "perfect" job, but obviously not !! I'm a firm believer in things working out like they're supposed to, however.
    We don't always know why at the time, but somehow, someway, things often times turn out better in the long run.

Any chance you could "free-lance"? Build yourself into your own business?? You're obviously very knowledgeable in Kitchen Design -- you've researched what people want in a KD -- I don't know . . it seems there should be a way to pursue your dream !!

Chris

• lackboys3
    18 years ago

Pauline, I'm sorry this one didn't work out. Those idiots really don't know what a huge mistake it was to let you get away. It's obvious you are very talented in this area, and I urge you not to give up on your dream of being a KD. If you have to take another job in a different field for now, could you look into part time "KD" classes somewhere, that would help you get certified and might provide possible job leads for you once you finish the course?

Hugs of encouragement to you ((((( Pauline)))))
    DONNA

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Sorry the job didn't pan out. I hate the cliche "things will work out in the end," but you know what? They usually do! Hugs, Allison

• 3katz4me
    18 years ago

Awwww...so sorry to hear this. If I were you I would call them and ask why they made this decision. I'd want to know expecially if you do decide to continue to pursue your dream. It would be helpful to know what the deciding factors were.

Not that this would happen, but DH has actually made progress with two positions AFTER getting a rejection letter. One got a followup interview and the other he got an offer and accepted the position. I'd at least call and see what they are thinking - kind of keep the diaglogue going - rather than considering the door permanently closed. You never know - what they have planned may not work out.

• sweeby
    18 years ago

Rats! I am sorry to hear that. But if you can bring yourself to follow Gibby's suggestion, you may get some useful information that will help you land that next KD spot.

• pirula
    18 years ago

Oh no. Morons. They don't know what they're missing.

Don't give up yet! I mean if you have to take an admin job WHILE you keep pursuing your dream then do it! But don't give up on this yet. I like the freelance idea. You know a lot of famous designers, including Sister Parish, got their start helping decorate homes for friends. You'll be doing what you love, getting experience, and helping out your buds and your buds' buds. And in the interim, you're making a living.

Why don't you come over and help me find fixtures for my foyer and dining room??? I need help! :)

Ivette

• mahatmacat1
    18 years ago

Aw man, I second Ivette. And what Gibby said and what Chris said. I'd recommend swallowing your pride and very professionally going and asking them what it was and what you would need so you would be considered for "a position like that" in the future...

AND, freelance! Start with friends! Place ads in likely places where people will see and then you can use your friends as references, if they'll let you, which they should as part of the deal of your helping them. It wouldn't be like they're lying or giving puff reviews, they could simply show people your work and it would speak for itself.

I'm getting more and more convinced in this economy that entrepreneurship is the way to go. Nothing embarrassing about it at all--it's decentralization of the business model, that's all. More people/small companies will be offering individual services rather than bigger companies having to carry personnel overhead. Who knows, maybe they didn't hire *anyone*...?

...hey, I just thought of one service I see a lot here which is "design with what you've got" services. Might be a very low-risk way for people to experience your design taste, then you could pitch to them to remember you when they're doing their kitchens, etc. Then you wouldn't be restricted to promoting one company's lines, either...

• ellene613
    18 years ago

Awww... Pauline, you're good -- too bad, their loss. For now, get a "real job" 'cuz you need the money, but you can freelance on the side.

I'm doing what others have already suggested: doing freelance jobs for friends, acquaintances, and also a few people I don't know. Some for pay, but not all. And I've started to collect written endorsements that I can use in ads. I start advertising regularly in a local publication that is read by my niche market in about 2 weeks. I've also been investing time teaching myself a sophisticated 3D CAD program so I can create walk-thoughs and other visual aids for clients.

Don't give up; dreams are are too precious to let go of quickly.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

For now, get a "real job"

Actually, that might be just the thing-- see if you can find a position in sales, dealing with cabinets and the like, and get the experience that prospective employers seem to think you're lacking!! This could very well be a blessing in disguise! If you COULD find a position like this, it would put you in contact on a daily basis dealing with established KD's..... or rather, put THEM in contact with YOU, where they'd be able to get an idea of your capabilities and the extent of your imagination! :-)

• maggie2094
    18 years ago

Drat!!!!! The only thing I can add is that one of the best jobs I ever had was one I "settled" for and just took "for now" and it turned into a dream job. Life is funny like that. Good luck - they are NOT WORTHY!

• sawmill
    18 years ago

Sorry, Pauline! You have gotten some very good advice from friends posting above and I think they are on to some tips that may pan out. You'll find the right path to get there; it just may take a curved route instead on a direct one. Don't despair.

• seekingadvice
    18 years ago

Oh Pauline, I can't believe I've missed this whole thread! So sorry I'm a latecomer to all of the well wishes. I am hoping that soon, you will be glad those jobs didn't work out as it allowed you to take the dream one that is going to be coming your way, whether established or created by you.

• pamela928
    18 years ago

Pauline--

It's just not the right fit yet.

How about contacting some small custom cabinet makers in your area and seeing if you could work for them. Some of the workshops in our area make beautiful cabinets, but are not good enough with customers yet. They just don't know how to help them with the entire project. You might be able to do administrative work and design work too, becoming a key part of the business. Knowing you, I'd put money on how quickly you'd become indispensible to them, and a custom firm can build anything you can come up with, allowing you some real creativity. And maybe you could be on a combination of salary and commission....??

OK--that's enough unsolicited advice from me. I always say it's free and well worth the price!

I'd really like to start designing old-house kitchens and I'm so ready to start doing it. I just have to decide if I want to go back to work, and exactly what it is I'd be selling...I am following your career sojurn here quite vicariously.
    Pamela

• capecodder
    18 years ago

Shoot, Pauline, I was really rooting for you, and convinced you'd get the job! Keep looking...
    And what's this about selling that beautiful house? Where are you going?
    Janet

• jfrorelo
    18 years ago

Pauline, I'm so sorry to hear the outcome. You might want to check in and see if they have any recommendations for you as you beef up your resume. That should be well recieved, as you are asking for their advice rather than putting them on the defensive. In the meantime, maybe you can get an adminstrative job in a kitchen or design or remodeling type of company. That way you can learn more and have a more relavant employer on your resume.

But first, have a glass of wine, look in the mirror and say "I'm good. I'm going to make it. I am pleasantly persistant. I am on a path that will lead to the right job at the right time." Didn't Al Franken have a character on SNL who used to say affirmations? I don't remember the whole thing but it ended with "and gosh-darn people like me!'. Well Pauline, people like you!

• paulines
    Original Author
    18 years ago

jfrorelo, you are a master at knowing just the right thing to say and for that I am so grateful ~ thank you.

Janet~I'm so glad to see you are still around! We are looking for one level living as these stairs are taking a toll on me. DD graduates in May, so we've been gearing up.

Pamela, designing 'age appropriate' kitchens would be so up your alley and considering the area where you live, a perfect niche. Do give it some serious consideration-I know you'd do amazingly well!

SA & AnnaLee~thank you for your kind words, much appreciated!

Maggie~"Good luck - they are NOT WORTHY!" - LOLOL, thank you for the laugh, and I agree wholeheartedly!

Bill, Ellene, Fly, Ivette, Sweeby, Gibby, Allison, Donna & Chris~ I love this forum, you are all just the bestest. I have faith that something wonderful will come my way!

• msazadi
    18 years ago

I'm one of those people who like you too. ;-)

I really agree with our AnnaLeeF, You'll find the right path to get there; it just may take a curved route instead of a direct one. There is something about just doing the next indicated thing, and that curve runs into you! You never know, you might need to be in the next house before the next 'right' job appears. It'll happen!

• pirula
    18 years ago

You WILL find the right path! Don't you dare give up.

What are you saying? We have lots of older people in VA? Okay, maybe we do. ;) Pamela: can I go into business with you?

Ivette

• pamela928
    18 years ago

Ivette--
    Hey, don't tease me unless you're serious. I'd do it tomorrow.

And DH's J & J could work for us.
    Hmmmmm.....
    P.

• pirula
    18 years ago

I'm TOTALLY serious! I "retire" in eight years and I think I'm going to take that RHODEC course. I can do part time until I retire and then full fledged after that.

Don't tease me unless YOU mean it!!!

Love,
    Ivette

P.S. You're darned tootin DH's and my DH's company would be interested! I mean come on, buidling Embassy office space gets dull after while.

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

HEY IVETTE!! Don't be takin my helper!! It'll take longer to get your bathrooms done!! :-)

Pauline-- going with the curve analogy in this thread, sometimes those curves could be very beneficial and educational, I know you've read the front page of my site, so you know that I've been there, and although I didn't appreciate it then, I do now. :-) We're all pullin for ya, lady!!

• pamela928
    18 years ago

Bill--Ivette tells me you MIGHT come and do her tile work and we could all party for the better part of a week while you're here. I could even be your able-bodied assistant!
    Whaddyathink?
    Pamela

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

Actually, I told Ivette it would take me that long in ONE of the bathrooms. Any bathroom with a shower (and shower pan) to be tiled will take that long. So, there's actually atleast TWO weeks plus there. :-)

• pirula
    18 years ago

PARTY IN VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!!

• paulines
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I was never one to miss a good party-does Amtrack run in your area Ivette?

I may not be able to assist in the tile work, but I make a mean cup of coffee and can keep the tiler (and his assistants) nourished!

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

There ya go!! You just keep putting the coffee and Mountain Dew to me, and I'm like the Energizer Rabbit!!

Ivette-- you might have to set up some kind of gallery right next to the bathrooms!! LMAO

• pirula
    18 years ago

Hee hee. We'll figure SOMETHING out. Who knows what state of disrepair the house will be in then? Gosh this could be SO MUCH FUN!!

Ivette

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

I noticed in the baths forum, you're going to make one of them a steam shower? At the very least, if not both of them, you should consider making that one a "Kerdi" shower. :-)

• pirula
    18 years ago

Really? Okay I gotta learn more about this Kerdi thing. I admit I was put off by the whole ebook "thing" I like having a hardcopy in my hand I can keep referring too. Yeah I know I can print it, but what a pain.

Can you tell me briefly why this is such a wonderful thing? I'm all for doing it, if you tell me it's worth it, just need to educate myself so I can persuade DH.

And yes, for now only one will be a steambath. We'll eventually we'll be doing another in the basement. SOMEDAY!

Ivette

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

At the following url is a whole PDF file on Kerdi and its installation, as well as a streaming video on an installation. The only difference between what you'll see in the video and what I'd want to do is that I'd much rather make my own curb and mud my own shower pan, rather than using the preformed ones that they have. As for why Kerdi-- First, in any steam shower you MUST have a completely enveloping waterproof barrier-- not just in the shower pan. Up until the kerdi came along, I usually used a trowel applied membrane, being that sheetmembranes have seams to them, where leaks can occur. However, with the Kerdi, although it has seams, I was willing to try it due to the fact that Schluter is one of the most reputable companies in the industry, and they wouldn't market a product unless there'd been extensive r&d done on it, as well as testing to make sure it was a top notch product. They're one of those companies that you here about every so often that if there's a problem with their product, they'll replace the whole installation as well as anything that their failure might ruin. So I tried it, and I've got to say, I've done about a dozen or so kerdi showers, better than half of those being steam showers, and I've yet to have a single problem. The best thing I like about them is the integral drain that goes along with the system. Whereas most waterproofing systems are just like normal showers where the pan is concerned-- first the preslope, then the pan membrane, then the mud, and then the tile-- the Kerdi system has taken the mud right out of the pan, and put it UNDER it. The membrane actually attaches to the TOP of the drain, so there's NO chance of water sitting in the pan under the tile and having problems down the road with all the lovely things associated with that, like mold, mildew, bacteria, etc..The tile is thinsetted directly to the membrane, so that it (the tile) is the only thing between the water and the membrane, and it's that much easier for all the water to either drain out of the pan, or evaporate into the air.

There aren't many products in this industry that I'd give a 10 to, but Kerdi is no doubt, one of them. One of the most innovative products to come down the pyke in a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schluter Kerdi

• pirula
    18 years ago

Bill:

I'm really glad we've had this discussion and I so appreciate your taking the time! You've convinced me'. I can't wait to show DH all of this.

Thanks so much,
    Ivette

• bill_vincent
    18 years ago

SCHLUTER, YOU OWE ME!!! lol

Seriously, it's not just me, either. If you go over to John Bridge's forum and check both the advice forum AND the Pro's Forum, you'll see what kind of respect this system has from the industry.