Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could use some positive thoughts

Posted by paulines (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 19, 05 at 8:15

In May, I left a job that I loved (looong story) and have been job searching since then. My hopes was to break into the kitchen design field (call me crazy). I have a fairly strong design/decorating background dating back to 1977, when I entered a very selective fashion & advertising design satellite program through FIT in NY. I externshipped working in ad & logo design and have worked in jobs that involved ad display and decorating consult since.

Anyway, interviewed at a couple cabinet places, but it seemed they were looking more for hard core sales people (read the proverbial used car salesman-lol) than creative souls that know their way around a kitchen-I have a really hard time being pushy, and we all know that the cabinet selection process is by education & competative pricing, not hard sales!

Yesterday, I got a call from a local cabinet place that needs a KD to run the showroom. We talked and seemed to hit it off. He felt he needed someone that had substantial showroom experience (of which I have none). He stated he wouldn't hesitate to hire me if he had a primary KD, to 'show me the ropes', as he is frequently unavailable for questions, etc. We left it as he may (really big may)be considering me and I should stop by and talk to him further sometime.

If you are still following this, any suggestions as to how to convince him I can do the job and do it well? Please send me positive job wishes this weekend, as I plan to gussy up and go see him Monday!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Could use some positive thoughts

Pauline-- One thing I've done to close alot of deals was to send prospective clients to johnbridge and floorstransformed, where they could get an idea of my experience and expertise by my bresponses to questions asked in the forums. I might suggest the same for you. go through the forum, and answer every question as concisely and completely as you can, and give him the url. Let him see for himself.

One other thought-- Could be he's making himself out to be a hard sell just to see how dedicated you are to this job.

o

Pauline:

Would running a showroom be a job that would be primarily admin/management or would it be mainly design work and direct contact with clients? Which would you want to do or do you view this as a stepping stone to another place?

o

Hi Bill, thanks. I didn't get the feeling that he was being a hard sell. He seemed, rightfully so, to be concerned that the person he hired would handle his business with knowledge and care. It's a small family company, mostly wholesale (small profit margin), and I understand his concern. If he hired someone that did careless and/or incorrect measures, he's stuck with a huge monetary loss-

One of the members here was a published Kitchen Designer and judge of national KD shows - she actually wrote to me last year and encouraged me to pursue this work (said I had all the attributes to be a great KD, wonderful use of color & form, superb spacial planning, etc), I am planning on bringing her recommendation Monday.

I may just borrow your great idea on answering questions - thanks again!

o
RE: Sorry Cup!

Whoops, we were posting together, Cup. This particular job would be interfacing with the clients (mostly builders and/or contractors), measure and design. There would be times when homeowners would come in to get ideas/pricing, which would be a dream for me! The bestest job in the world for me would be working with homeowners/clients who love to cook (foodies) and want an efficient, effective and beautiful space.

o

Good wishes coming your way.

o

Go for it, girl!

o

That *does* sound like a great job. I'm sending positive thoughts your way!

o

Positive thought heading down Rt 95! :-)

o

Paulines:

Haven't read the above but don't give up.

Have you considered perhaps a trial period so you can show him what you can do, and see for yourself if you can do it (I'm sure you can!!)

Just a thought,
Ivette

o

Pauline--
You are a natural. I agree with Ivette--beg him to give you a no-obligation trial. Tell him you'll follow him around for a week at no charge! It'll be your investment in his company. Then ask him to give you a chance to show him what you can do. He can shadow you here and there and you can give him plenty of updates. Or ask him to role-play a customer or contractor in order to convince him.

He just needs to see you in action! (This is my secret dream. I'd like to design unusual kitchens and baths for period homes.)
Go, girl, go!!!
Pamela

o

I'm wishing you lots of good vibes, Pauline!
Janet

o

Yet more good energy coming, Pauline...and a third on the tryout period. You'll wow him, I know it. He doesn't know how lucky he's about to get.

o

Yowza, Pauline - you'd be AWESOME at this job! And more importantly, I think you'd really enjoy it. But not the hard core selling, I don't see you doing that. Stop by and talk to this guy, see what he has to offer. Like Yvette, Pamela and Fly said, he's just got to see you work the crowd, so to speak. I couldn't design my way out of a paper bag. But you, dahling, you will be MAHVELOUS!! Keep us posted and good luck.
DONNA

o

pauline, I was going to suggest almost the same thing pamela did. What does he have to loose by giving you a shot?! I haven't known you that long, but others here have and if they say you are perfect for the job than you must be!

Good luck and I'll be thinking of you on Monday. Allison

o

Thank you so much for the good vibes and great suggestions. You guys are the absolute bestest! So Monday I beg-LOL

o

One of the members here was a published Kitchen Designer and judge of national KD shows - she actually wrote to me last year and encouraged me to pursue this work (said I had all the attributes to be a great KD, wonderful use of color & form, superb spacial planning, etc), I am planning on bringing her recommendation Monday.

I know exactly who you're talking about. Matter of fact, Carol and I email back and forth on a regular basis-- kind of a sharing of ideas. You're definitely right about her knowing what she's talking about, so you'd do well to take her advice!!

I don't know if you still have her email address. But if you don't, I can shoot her a note, and have her get in touch and give you a personalized recommendation for this guy.

o

Hey, Pauline, have you shown him pictures of your own kitchen to show how gorgeous it is and what a wonderful job you did with it?

Wishing you good luck, and I'll be thinking of you on Monday.

o

Bill, I've been a bit bad about keeping in touch with Carol, but she had written a lovely recommendation for me which I will bring on Monday. She is so encouraging and generous with her knowledge! I believe she was in NY a few weeks ago, judging a kitchen design competition (wouldn't it be amazing to check out those kitchens?). Thanks for the offer, but I still have her email address and telephone #(please tell her I send my best regards).

LOL Lori and thank you!

o

PaulineS, All the very very best. I strongly back those suggesting that you propose to him a tryout period. And use your house as your portfolio to show to him. One thing though: can you get a hold of a really good photographer to do your portfolio justice? Also can you start by helping him as a designer - you know helping him with the colors, right granite with the cabinets, wall colors etc.? You've got an awesome eye for that and if he can see you as a designer in the team to help him pull the project together before he hands you a measuring tape, it could be a good way for you to claim your own niche at the place. You wouldn't just be another-him, as it were, but you'd be there to augment him in some way. Bet it'd grow his business, too, if he goes past cabinets to the full room configuration.

You'll be so good at this, we all just know this.

o

I'll email her the url for this thread. You want to see some of the kitchens she and her daughter have done. Breathtaking doesn't BEGIN to describe them!!

o

Pauline - good luck and positive thoughts sent your way. You mentioned that he said he doesn't have time to "show you the ropes", etc. Are you very familar with his cabinet line and styles? Can you "give him a tour" of his own showroom showcasing your knowledge? Express to him the passion you have for this - because passion will sell! Point out to him that no matter who he hires - they always have to be trained in the ways of that particular company - no matter what their background. Do you have any retail experience in your background....even if you worked at The Gap in college...it would fill in that "sales floor" experience for him.
"If he hired someone that did careless and/or incorrect measures, he's stuck with a huge monetary loss." This is where you can really shine to him with your experience and knowledge.

Go in there, be passionate and show him you can sell by selling yourself!

o

Pauline,
Good luck! I had a friend who encouraged me to visualize: spend some time visualizing your interview, the guy being overwhelmed by your talent, your being confident and successful in the showroom. Go through every detail -- if you can see it, it will happen!!

I, of course, thought my friend was nuts, but I tried it with selling my house, and everything I imagined and visualized came true.

o

Have a few minutes, before DD needs the computer.

MT, pecanpie, Sweeby & Chispa, thanks so much for the thoughts! (Chispa, how will these thoughts be traveling?-I'm concerned about turkey day traffic-lol)

Pamela & Ivette, If we lived closer, we could so start a design business together - how awesome would that be or how much work would we actually get done??? Ivette, how's your project coming along?

Janet, really good to hear from you, glad you're still around and thanks for the 'vibes'!

Thanks Fly, you are a fortitude of support always!

Donna, your support means so much, especially in light of your own full plate. I'm thinking of you.

Allison, now YOU have talent. For those that haven't already, check out Allison's kitchen in the gallery. Amazing is an understatement.

Bill, thank you for emailing Carol this thread. I wish she was able to 'hang out' here, as she is an amazing woman. I believe I was able to view her designs on her website, but its been awhile, I'll have to refresh my memory.

Lori & mindstorm, I'm so looking forward to seeing you both at our IKEA outing-thanks for all your support & friendship!

Maggie & Molly, your ideas and encouragement are so very helpful, thank you!
Maggie-great point re' learning the specific lines/ particular co.- that will be something I definitely will mention.

Molly, I read somewhere that if you felt a bit intimidated you should visualize someone in the bathroom- gross, but it does help -lol. I'm so glad you both have joined in here at Conversations!!!

o

Pauline, lots of positive thoughts headed your way. You're very knowledgable, passionate, smart -- what's not to love?

I proceed with my own little freelance kosher kitchen design business. I did a consultation today and need to draw up plans; what fun to get paid for doing what so many of us here love! -- and will soon start to advertise in a local Jewish publication. I admire your courage in applying at local kitchen cabinet shops.

I wonder if there are are other nascent kitchen designers training in this forum?

o

Ellene,
I didn't realize! How long have you had your business?

Honestly - it's my feeling that design specialization is such a wonderful, but underutilized niche. I've done a decent amount of reading on universal design, so if someone was remodeling a kitchen for elderly parents or who's household consisted of a disabled family member, I would have some small idea of how to proceed. Even design considerations made based on the type of disabilty are immense and require substantial knowledge.

Thinking about it (for example your granite thread where you explained about the use of counters containing plastic in a K kitchen), there's a world of things to consider when designing any 'specialty' kitchen - I find it fascinating.

Loads of Mazel to you and thank you for the kind words!

o

I've been wondering how your day is going...did you go? Update us!

Also, thank you for your kind words. Allison

o

Thanks Allison ~saga continues. Due to the short work week & hectic schedules, we're putting it off till next week. I'm going to bust!

o

YOU'RE going to bust??? What about ME??! (because you know, it IS all about me.....) ;)

Well darn. Okay, we wait. I'm very excited for you!!!

And we would be SO great as a team, no doubt!! How sweet of you to say so!!! What fun that would be. Do you know I'm actually considering doing that Rhodec correspondence thingie. Why not I say? I'll enjoy the heck out of it and I don't have time for anything else. We'll see.

Our project is moving along slowly but surely. Have most things either ordered or finalized. Our sinks and faucets for kitchen are here and are just dishy. Cabinet order almost finalized and deliverable in Jan. Lacanche arrives in Jan. New windows ordered and just sent in a quote request for remaining appliances today. The plumbers start in a couple of weeks!! YAY!

Chewing my fingernails,
Ivette

o

LOL! I hope you are able to sleep between now and then.

I searched your name to see pictures of your house/kitchen without any luck. Is your kitchen posted somewhere or are you like the cobbler and have no shoes?

The get-together you had with the Cooking forum people sounded like so much fun - if only I lived in the Boston area!

Allison

o

Pauline, I just saw this, and wanted you to know I'm adding my good wishes as well! Actually, your timing is better to wait; we're going through another Mercury Retrograde period which means delays in communications, travel. It's not the perfect time to get a job unless it's with someone you've known from the past...however it's a great to time do research (on a job or new employee!)

The absolute best to you, for realizing your heart's desire.

o

Pauline, sorry it's been put off for a week, but next week will be a better time for all, no doubt. Concentrate on a wonderful thanksgiving with your family this week, and enjoy all of the good, positive and successful vibes being sent your way. Man, if you, Pamela, Yvette and Ellene got together for a KD business, I'd fly the 4 of you down here to beautiful, sunny, hurricane-prone Central Florida and put you to work designing the kitchen of my dreams. Of course, then the builder would have to get it built, but that's another story....
Happiest of Thanksgivings to all!
DONNA

o

Ivette, did you wind up going through Expo for your sinks? Were you pleased with them?

Allison, honestly, my kitchen is very simple & modest. I'm not the greatest photographer, as mindstorm has so nicely hinted at-lol. After I've cleaned it up, I'll post some pics (it's really a mess - preparing for T-day). Next get-together, you & Ivette have to come!

Thanks Luna - really good to know!

Donna, do you think we'd actually get work done? Did you miss Pamela laying on my floor and the infamous food pyramid??? At least it would be motivation for the building guys (blonde on the floor!!!) - lol

Wishes for the warmest & bestest Thanksgiving to all!!!

o

I was just over at John Bridge's site in the "mudbox". I was reading thru the recent additions to the joke thread, and as soon as I saw this one, ALl I coould think of was Pauline and THIS thread!!

STRESS MANAGEMENT

Just in case you've had a rough day, here is an 8-Step stress management technique recommended in the latest psychological texts.

1. Picture yourself near a stream.

2. Birds are softly chirping in the cool mountain air.

3. No one but you knows your secret place.

4. You are in total seclusion from the hectic place called "the world."

5. The soothing sound of a gentle waterfall fills the air with a cascade of serenity.

6. The water is crystal clear.

7. You can easily make out the face of the person you're holding underwater.

8. See! You're smiling already!!!!

o

Aww, Pauline, it got put off for a week? The waiting could make one crazy, G-d forbid.

I've been doing informal (read: for free) kitchen consultations for a few years. Like many others here, I can figuratively talk people's ears off when the talk is about kitchen design. I started charging for it a few months ago. I've done a done a handful of consultaions and a few plans since then, and word is beginning to trickle out. Like you, I come from a related field. I'm a freelance graphic artist and also teach computer graphics at a local college/seminary.

Donna, sounds like a great expedition -- but when is hurricane season supposed to end down there?

o

Bwaaa-hahhh, Pauline! I haven't lain on anyone's kitchen floor since yours and I surely do miss it!! You too, Maureen? I'm sure Pauline's kitchen has seemed way too quiet ever since. She's probably forgotten how dynamic the Food Pyramid can be. I know Mr. Pauline is relieved not to have to see it again.

I do miss designing my kitchen, now just about done. Giving other folks the ideas I couldn't use in my own kitchen would be delightful.

Heck, Donna, we're so TKO, we'd probably come for free. And buy our own plane tickets!

Ivette--I'm intrigued--what's the Rodec thing?
It sounds like you're really cooking on the remodel. Eager to see the next stage. We're away for a few days over T'giving...then I'm going to call you and beg to see the next phase of your project!

Have a wonderful holiday, everyone,
Pamela

o

I was checking in to see how you did Pauline. Good Luck next week. I am thinking it is probably best since with the holidays everyone has alot on their plates (literally!). One thing I always do - don't make the appt. for a Monday....people tend to be crabby and recovering from the weekend and stressed about the week ahead.

Hey - what are you guys up to at these get-togethers? You are a hoot! Sounds positively scandalous!!!!

Happy Thanksgiving all! Maggie

o

Hi Pauline, first of all good luck with this exciting opportunity. I also was going to suggest you 'demo' your skills and enthusiasm but I see the others have beat me to the punch. Since I work for (and love) a family business maybe I can offer some tips there. His business is probably built on his personal reputation, so the advantage of a job candidate such as yourself is that he can train you to his philosophy. We sometimes hire experienced folks thinking they need less supervision, but in truth we end up needing to break them of bad habits learned elsewhere. And if we are under the assumption they need less supervision, those bad habits aren't immediately apparent. Also, a busy person running a family business needs a person who shares their values so that once that person learns the ropes, they will make decisions in the same sort of way that the owner would. Esp. a person who is committed and passionate and doesn't think of themselves as just an employee punching the clock. Does that make sense?

Now, one gut-check question for you. Seems like you have passion for the people ho will live in and use your kitchens, but the role he described is to work with the GCs who probably have much different concerns/priorities. Am I reading into this correctly? If so, it might be a great opportunity but not the ideal fit for you. Just something to consider.

Best wishes - Jennifer

o

Wellll you know, Pamela does have a "thing" for Pyramids. :)

paulines: I would LOVE to come to your house next time. I was so totally bummed I missed the last one. No, we didn't get the sink at Expo afterall. We went ahead with Waterworks, long story. I also tried to find a vessel sink at Expo (and a couple of other local showrooms) but ended up finding what I wanted (a Duravit) at HomeClick or Home Annex (can't remember which) and am quite pleased with it.

Pamela: the Rhodec thing is a British correspondence course in Interior Design. It really sounds terrific. Here's a link.....

Here is a link that might be useful: When books, magazines, and forums aren't enough......

o

Paulines, just wanted to chime in to say good luck next week!

o

Maggie, we had a get-together at my house this summer. MzAzadi (Maureen), Pamela, AnnaLee(W), Athomedad(Rich), Lori(36)& DH, Loriapiano(Lori)& DH, mindstorm & DH, GardenofDarwin(S), me & Mr. Pauline. I'll have to post a pic, so you can get the full understanding of the Olympic events that occurred including pie lifting and gymnastics. Further, let me assure you that none of our foreheads are as large as they appear in the photos:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com

o
RE: Whoops!

M/M Loriapiano has already left and Mr. Pauline refused to participate in pictures (party poop). Athomedad is there in the corner and GardenOD is taking the picture. Bottom -left to right is MsAzadi, Pamela, me. Top - left to right is mindstorm, Lori and AnnaLee (better known as the lightweight division). Bill Vincent & Pebbles were scheduled to attend, but stuff happenned (see I was nice). They will attend the next function or refer to Bill's last post-lol

Paige-Thank you!

Jennifer-you make alot of sense and a fabulous point, I will consider, thank you! (and you must come with us to IKEA, we'll figure a way!)

o
RE: glad we have 200 posts

Forgot to mention; Lori36's & mindstorm's DHs were also of the party picture poop camp.

o

athomedad was there??? OH MAN! I'm supposed to meet him eventually. He's been a big help on making feel better about ordering CrownPoint Cabinets, UNSEEN.

It looks like you guys had so much fun!

Ivette

o

So, is today THE day?!

o

You're a sweetie for remembering Allison!

Actually, life is funny. The particular man I referred to in my initial post sort of blew me off and really didn't seem interested in me. I was feeling bad for myself (major pity party) BUT today I got a call from another showroom (I had sent a letter of interest weeks ago), and I'm going in Friday to interview with the company VP! Keep your fingers crossed!!!

o

Great! That explains your other thread. Good luck!

o

Then we'll hope to hear good news on Friday. Have success!

o

Just mention my name and have em call me. :-)

modesty at its finest!

o

Good luck Pauline - I know you're gonna really knock their socks off! Sending good vibes (((((Pauline)))))) Let us know how it goes.
Bill, since everyone knows you, can you call all the subs that are supposed to be working on my new house, and tell 'em to show up and work for a change?????
DONNA

o

Silly first man. The right place will be perceptive enough to realize how lucky they are to have you. Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth your while to work there, anyway, right?

o

Donna-- uhhh....yeah, ummmmmm..... I'll, um, get on it some time next week!! LOL

o

Pauline...since I haven't been back in Kitchens for so long I missed this one. It really has been my experience that you need to follow the logical path towards your goal so you can be on 'that' path when the truly better thing intersects. (Kind of like an avenue intersecting a straight street)

Yes, the mercury retrograde is round us again so don't worry about potential setbacks. You really will get to the right job as long as your keep on keeping on in your quest.

btw, please expect an email from me re parking & our Boston trip the end of December.

o

Maureen, got it! Check your inbox. How are the stars looking for tomorrow?-lol

Donna, I'm so sorry to hear that the sub situation hasn't improved. The fact that folks don't have any real recourse, must make it unbelievably frustrating!

Thanks again Allison, Ellene, Bill & Fly (has your stainless issue been resolved?)

BTW, Ellene, someone had mentioned on another thread that if a particular granite is resinated, there might be plastic issues ~ is that something you have had the opportunity to look into?

o

Thanks Pauline...I haven't 'checked' the stars butI believe in you. Thanks for the email too...we'll be back to you sometime later in next week. Maureen

o

Good luck tomorrow, Pauline - no pressure (lol)!

o

I'm off guys - Oh dear, I'm going to heave!

o

I've got my fingers and toes all crossed for you, Pauline!!

o

Don't forget your eyes, Bill!

o

Best wishes, a little late. If you are reading this after the fact, how did it go? (the interview, not the heaving)

You will make this happen, one way or another.

o

Pauline, sending good, sucessful thoughts your way. Can't wait to hear!
DONNA

o

Add mine to the collective good wishes! Looking forward to hearing you report back...

o

Whooey! I *think* the interview went well - at least I didn't heave in the interviewer's lap. One very exciting thing was I got a tour of the facility where their own line of cabinets are produced (frameless!), saw the granite & ss fabrication rooms and the laminate room. They carry numerous cabinetry lines, so it will be a challenge learning about each. It's a huge, beautiful showroom and definitely would be a pleasant working environment. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I get good news. Either way, you guys will be the first to know!

Thanks so much everyone for your wonderful support!

o

Hope so! If you get the job and they have a website, you'll have to link it so we can see!

When will you know something?

o

Can I be your first customer???? We could do a "long distance" consultation! What fun! I hope you land this job Pauline, it sounds like a great place, and well suited to your talents. Keep thinking postive thoughts - might you know something before the weekend?
DONNA

o

Keeping my fingers crossed and saying a few prayers for you! Do let us know!!!

o

Pauline, Great Timing since Mercury goes direct tomorrow!

o

Pauline, what news?

o

Oh my! Pauline, How exciting. I'm crossing my fingers and toes for you. When you get this, you're going to have this customer waiting for you. Seriously. I'm dying to know which this company is. KRH in Stoughton? But I don't think they carry any other lines - they just build 'em.

MsA, I would love to be part of your Christmas "hit-list" if you are coming Boston-wards. Do let me know when/if you come. We'll be at my sisters for Christmas day and in London for New Years, but if you're here in between, I'd love to see you!

o

No news as of yet (big sigh) ~

o

Hi Paulines!!

Sorry I haven't been reading what with all the remodeling AND Christmas stuff going on (my brain is about to explode).

My fingers are crossed and I am SO excited for you!!

Ivette

o

Just checking - I saw a new post here - thought maybe there was some news......

o

Here's a positive thought, the delay in 'hearing back' is probably to be expected and can work to your advantage. I do some of the hiring at my workplace and I have to say our process is pretty darn long. We go through all resumes and then do phone interviews and then do a face to face interview and then do a 2nd interview. We try to batch as many of these together as possible but there is always one that gets scheduled a week out and it kind of throws off the next step.

As far as your advantage during the lull - use this time to send a nice follow up note. Then wait a few days and email something that demonstrates you are on top of things. It could be an example of a design idea you have, or an article that is useful info for their business, etc. IF you are a contender, this will only impress them. IF you are not a contender, it probably won't make any difference at all, but it is not expensive or unduly time consuming.

o

Just checking - I saw a new post here - thought maybe there was some news......

Same here!! Man, this waiting sucks!!

Pauline-- could you give him a call and let him know that he's stressing people out ALL OVER THE COUNTRY!!

o

Pauline - I came upon this thread late - but just wanted to send some good karma your way. Hope you hear soon - you must be sitting on pins and needles.

o

That's GOTTA hurt!! :-)

o

lol Bill - don't worry, I wouldn't FIT on pins & needles.

Thanks again, you all are the bestest!

jfrorelo,
I did follow up the interview with an email thanking them for their time and the opportunity to meet, etc. and yesterday left a VM for the man in charge. Thank you so much for your post, I'm a bit more encouraged!

o

Good vibes from the left coast to ya ....Ommmmmm-ing! Maureen

o

(tapping fingers anxiously)

o

Just think: three months ago, he'd have been stressing people out all the way to CAIRO!! Go ahead and tell him he still is if it'll help.....

tapping my foot with one eyebrow cocked at this guy....

Ivette

P.S. I mean REALLY. Does he not sense your innate talent? Your panache?? Your zest for paint chips?? (oh wait, that's me and Sharon, never mind!)

Fingers AND toes crossed....

o

lol Ivette!

Speaking of paint chips, I have to pick colors for our master~I don't relish the thought! What brand are you using for your home?

o

You're joking right? ONE brand? Are you MAD???!!!!

I am using all kinds of different brands depending entirely on which color I like best! So far, I have only made one definite decision, and that is DK #3 for the masterbath. I am ALMOST completely decided on FPE's Buff Cochin for the living room and dining room, and Fog for the Master Bedroom. And I'm madly in love with C2's Parchment and will be using it in either the kitchen or the foyer.

But, DS and I are going to have fun fun fun painting BIG slabs of wall with sample colors this weekend. Should be able to advise soon.

Ivette

P.S. I take it there is no word from this dude? Lemme at him!

o

tapping my foot with one eyebrow cocked at this guy....

Ivette-- I read that, and all I could think of was that damned little rabbit on the perennial Christmas special Frosty the Snowman!! LMAO

o

Okay, this waiting thing is getting old, LOL. Can you tell us more about the showroom and the position? Did he give you any indication of # of applicants or what their decision making was going to be based on? See, you don't have to obsess all by yourself, you've got us obsessing right along with you!

o

pauline, are you going to paint the master in your current house? As in the one you're selling? Or do you have a new house already and I missed it?

o

Bill: Exactly! PRECISELY!! :)

Paulines: Did I say Parchment? I meant Potsticker. I put that enormous sample board up last night and MAN! Is that a pretty color. What's funny is that the other contender for the kitchen has been Farrow & Ball's Matchstick and when I put them up next to each other, they're almost identical. When you like a color, you like a color.

You're selling your house???? NO WAY!

Ivette

o

Fly~
It's our current master. We received suggestions from the RE agents we spoke with to 'freshen up' the trim paint (doors and baseboards) of the upstairs and we decided the master really needed new paint. DH does the painting himself, so it's not a huge deal.

Well guys, here's my bad news. I received a letter yesterday from the showroom-Thanks, but no thanks. Quite honestly, I was very surprised as they had given me a tour of the factory and had me talk to HR re' benefits and such. So frustrating! jfrorelo ~ the showroom is located near my home and is considered wholesale; that being contractors send their clients there.

It doesn't look good for my career as a KD as I really do need to find a job. It's unfortunate, as I passed on a couple of nice Administrative position offers, and now finding myself perhaps having to go back to that kind of work. I do like it and am good at it-but we always have our dreams-right?

Again, your support means the world to me-thanks guys!!!

o

Pauline,
So sorry to hear this job didn't work out for you --
Especially when they'd given you the whole song and dance and really gotten your hopes up !! Sounded like a "perfect" job, but obviously not !! I'm a firm believer in things working out like they're supposed to, however.
We don't always know why at the time, but somehow, someway, things often times turn out better in the long run.

Any chance you could "free-lance"? Build yourself into your own business?? You're obviously very knowledgeable in Kitchen Design -- you've researched what people want in a KD -- I don't know . . it seems there should be a way to pursue your dream !!

Chris

o

Pauline, I'm sorry this one didn't work out. Those idiots really don't know what a huge mistake it was to let you get away. It's obvious you are very talented in this area, and I urge you not to give up on your dream of being a KD. If you have to take another job in a different field for now, could you look into part time "KD" classes somewhere, that would help you get certified and might provide possible job leads for you once you finish the course?

Hugs of encouragement to you ((((( Pauline)))))
DONNA

o

Sorry the job didn't pan out. I hate the cliche "things will work out in the end," but you know what? They usually do! Hugs, Allison

o

Awwww...so sorry to hear this. If I were you I would call them and ask why they made this decision. I'd want to know expecially if you do decide to continue to pursue your dream. It would be helpful to know what the deciding factors were.

Not that this would happen, but DH has actually made progress with two positions AFTER getting a rejection letter. One got a followup interview and the other he got an offer and accepted the position. I'd at least call and see what they are thinking - kind of keep the diaglogue going - rather than considering the door permanently closed. You never know - what they have planned may not work out.

o

Rats! I am sorry to hear that. But if you can bring yourself to follow Gibby's suggestion, you may get some useful information that will help you land that next KD spot.

o

Oh no. Morons. They don't know what they're missing.

Don't give up yet! I mean if you have to take an admin job WHILE you keep pursuing your dream then do it! But don't give up on this yet. I like the freelance idea. You know a lot of famous designers, including Sister Parish, got their start helping decorate homes for friends. You'll be doing what you love, getting experience, and helping out your buds and your buds' buds. And in the interim, you're making a living.

Why don't you come over and help me find fixtures for my foyer and dining room??? I need help! :)

Ivette

o

Aw man, I second Ivette. And what Gibby said and what Chris said. I'd recommend swallowing your pride and very professionally going and asking them what it was and what you would need so you would be considered for "a position like that" in the future...

AND, freelance! Start with friends! Place ads in likely places where people will see and then you can use your friends as references, if they'll let you, which they should as part of the deal of your helping them. It wouldn't be like they're lying or giving puff reviews, they could simply show people your work and it would speak for itself.

I'm getting more and more convinced in this economy that entrepreneurship is the way to go. Nothing embarrassing about it at all--it's decentralization of the business model, that's all. More people/small companies will be offering individual services rather than bigger companies having to carry personnel overhead. Who knows, maybe they didn't hire *anyone*...?

...hey, I just thought of one service I see a lot here which is "design with what you've got" services. Might be a very low-risk way for people to experience your design taste, then you could pitch to them to remember you when they're doing their kitchens, etc. Then you wouldn't be restricted to promoting one company's lines, either...

o

Awww... Pauline, you're good -- too bad, their loss. For now, get a "real job" 'cuz you need the money, but you can freelance on the side.

I'm doing what others have already suggested: doing freelance jobs for friends, acquaintances, and also a few people I don't know. Some for pay, but not all. And I've started to collect written endorsements that I can use in ads. I start advertising regularly in a local publication that is read by my niche market in about 2 weeks. I've also been investing time teaching myself a sophisticated 3D CAD program so I can create walk-thoughs and other visual aids for clients.

Don't give up; dreams are are too precious to let go of quickly.

o

For now, get a "real job"

Actually, that might be just the thing-- see if you can find a position in sales, dealing with cabinets and the like, and get the experience that prospective employers seem to think you're lacking!! This could very well be a blessing in disguise! If you COULD find a position like this, it would put you in contact on a daily basis dealing with established KD's..... or rather, put THEM in contact with YOU, where they'd be able to get an idea of your capabilities and the extent of your imagination! :-)

o

Drat!!!!! The only thing I can add is that one of the best jobs I ever had was one I "settled" for and just took "for now" and it turned into a dream job. Life is funny like that. Good luck - they are NOT WORTHY!

o

Sorry, Pauline! You have gotten some very good advice from friends posting above and I think they are on to some tips that may pan out. You'll find the right path to get there; it just may take a curved route instead on a direct one. Don't despair.

o

Oh Pauline, I can't believe I've missed this whole thread! So sorry I'm a latecomer to all of the well wishes. I am hoping that soon, you will be glad those jobs didn't work out as it allowed you to take the dream one that is going to be coming your way, whether established or created by you.

o

Pauline--

It's just not the right fit yet.

How about contacting some small custom cabinet makers in your area and seeing if you could work for them. Some of the workshops in our area make beautiful cabinets, but are not good enough with customers yet. They just don't know how to help them with the entire project. You might be able to do administrative work and design work too, becoming a key part of the business. Knowing you, I'd put money on how quickly you'd become indispensible to them, and a custom firm can build anything you can come up with, allowing you some real creativity. And maybe you could be on a combination of salary and commission....??

OK--that's enough unsolicited advice from me. I always say it's free and well worth the price!

I'd really like to start designing old-house kitchens and I'm so ready to start doing it. I just have to decide if I want to go back to work, and exactly what it is I'd be selling...I am following your career sojurn here quite vicariously.
Pamela

o

Shoot, Pauline, I was really rooting for you, and convinced you'd get the job! Keep looking...
And what's this about selling that beautiful house? Where are you going?
Janet

o

Pauline, I'm so sorry to hear the outcome. You might want to check in and see if they have any recommendations for you as you beef up your resume. That should be well recieved, as you are asking for their advice rather than putting them on the defensive. In the meantime, maybe you can get an adminstrative job in a kitchen or design or remodeling type of company. That way you can learn more and have a more relavant employer on your resume.

But first, have a glass of wine, look in the mirror and say "I'm good. I'm going to make it. I am pleasantly persistant. I am on a path that will lead to the right job at the right time." Didn't Al Franken have a character on SNL who used to say affirmations? I don't remember the whole thing but it ended with "and gosh-darn people like me!'. Well Pauline, people like you!

o

jfrorelo, you are a master at knowing just the right thing to say and for that I am so grateful ~ thank you.

Janet~I'm so glad to see you are still around! We are looking for one level living as these stairs are taking a toll on me. DD graduates in May, so we've been gearing up.

Pamela, designing 'age appropriate' kitchens would be so up your alley and considering the area where you live, a perfect niche. Do give it some serious consideration-I know you'd do amazingly well!

SA & AnnaLee~thank you for your kind words, much appreciated!

Maggie~"Good luck - they are NOT WORTHY!" - LOLOL, thank you for the laugh, and I agree wholeheartedly!

Bill, Ellene, Fly, Ivette, Sweeby, Gibby, Allison, Donna & Chris~ I love this forum, you are all just the bestest. I have faith that something wonderful will come my way!

o

I'm one of those people who like you too. ;-)

I really agree with our AnnaLeeF, You'll find the right path to get there; it just may take a curved route instead of a direct one. There is something about just doing the next indicated thing, and that curve runs into you! You never know, you might need to be in the next house before the next 'right' job appears. It'll happen!

o

You WILL find the right path! Don't you dare give up.

What are you saying? We have lots of older people in VA? Okay, maybe we do. ;) Pamela: can I go into business with you?

Ivette

o

Ivette--
Hey, don't tease me unless you're serious. I'd do it tomorrow.

And DH's J & J could work for us.
Hmmmmm.....
P.

o

I'm TOTALLY serious! I "retire" in eight years and I think I'm going to take that RHODEC course. I can do part time until I retire and then full fledged after that.

Don't tease me unless YOU mean it!!!

Love,
Ivette

P.S. You're darned tootin DH's and my DH's company would be interested! I mean come on, buidling Embassy office space gets dull after while.

o

HEY IVETTE!! Don't be takin my helper!! It'll take longer to get your bathrooms done!! :-)

Pauline-- going with the curve analogy in this thread, sometimes those curves could be very beneficial and educational, I know you've read the front page of my site, so you know that I've been there, and although I didn't appreciate it then, I do now. :-) We're all pullin for ya, lady!!

o

Bill--Ivette tells me you MIGHT come and do her tile work and we could all party for the better part of a week while you're here. I could even be your able-bodied assistant!
Whaddyathink?
Pamela

o

Actually, I told Ivette it would take me that long in ONE of the bathrooms. Any bathroom with a shower (and shower pan) to be tiled will take that long. So, there's actually atleast TWO weeks plus there. :-)

o

PARTY IN VIRGINIA!!!!!!!!!!!

o

I was never one to miss a good party-does Amtrack run in your area Ivette?

I may not be able to assist in the tile work, but I make a mean cup of coffee and can keep the tiler (and his assistants) nourished!

o

There ya go!! You just keep putting the coffee and Mountain Dew to me, and I'm like the Energizer Rabbit!!

Ivette-- you might have to set up some kind of gallery right next to the bathrooms!! LMAO

o

Hee hee. We'll figure SOMETHING out. Who knows what state of disrepair the house will be in then? Gosh this could be SO MUCH FUN!!

Ivette

o

I noticed in the baths forum, you're going to make one of them a steam shower? At the very least, if not both of them, you should consider making that one a "Kerdi" shower. :-)

o

Really? Okay I gotta learn more about this Kerdi thing. I admit I was put off by the whole ebook "thing" I like having a hardcopy in my hand I can keep referring too. Yeah I know I can print it, but what a pain.

Can you tell me briefly why this is such a wonderful thing? I'm all for doing it, if you tell me it's worth it, just need to educate myself so I can persuade DH.

And yes, for now only one will be a steambath. We'll eventually we'll be doing another in the basement. SOMEDAY!

Ivette

o

At the following url is a whole PDF file on Kerdi and its installation, as well as a streaming video on an installation. The only difference between what you'll see in the video and what I'd want to do is that I'd much rather make my own curb and mud my own shower pan, rather than using the preformed ones that they have. As for why Kerdi-- First, in any steam shower you MUST have a completely enveloping waterproof barrier-- not just in the shower pan. Up until the kerdi came along, I usually used a trowel applied membrane, being that sheetmembranes have seams to them, where leaks can occur. However, with the Kerdi, although it has seams, I was willing to try it due to the fact that Schluter is one of the most reputable companies in the industry, and they wouldn't market a product unless there'd been extensive r&d done on it, as well as testing to make sure it was a top notch product. They're one of those companies that you here about every so often that if there's a problem with their product, they'll replace the whole installation as well as anything that their failure might ruin. So I tried it, and I've got to say, I've done about a dozen or so kerdi showers, better than half of those being steam showers, and I've yet to have a single problem. The best thing I like about them is the integral drain that goes along with the system. Whereas most waterproofing systems are just like normal showers where the pan is concerned-- first the preslope, then the pan membrane, then the mud, and then the tile-- the Kerdi system has taken the mud right out of the pan, and put it UNDER it. The membrane actually attaches to the TOP of the drain, so there's NO chance of water sitting in the pan under the tile and having problems down the road with all the lovely things associated with that, like mold, mildew, bacteria, etc..The tile is thinsetted directly to the membrane, so that it (the tile) is the only thing between the water and the membrane, and it's that much easier for all the water to either drain out of the pan, or evaporate into the air.

There aren't many products in this industry that I'd give a 10 to, but Kerdi is no doubt, one of them. One of the most innovative products to come down the pyke in a long time.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schluter Kerdi

o

Bill:

I'm really glad we've had this discussion and I so appreciate your taking the time! You've convinced me'. I can't wait to show DH all of this.

Thanks so much,
Ivette

o

SCHLUTER, YOU OWE ME!!! lol

Seriously, it's not just me, either. If you go over to John Bridge's forum and check both the advice forum AND the Pro's Forum, you'll see what kind of respect this system has from the industry.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here