Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dornbracht Tara mysterious catastrophy!

Posted by lordnelson (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 22, 06 at 18:40

Hi all,

This one should perhaps go into the home distaster section, but I'm actually more puzzled and would like to hear if anyone ever heard or seen anything like it.

We have reasonably new kitchen, bit over 6 months, with a beautiful Dornbracht Tara Classic faucet with a side spray, all in chrome. The side spray has a chromed metal braced hose that looks fairly rigid.

Earlier today my wife suddenly called for me and said that there was water all over. I ran down and surely enough, water on the floor and on the counter. She told me she had used the sprayer, which had stopped working and was leaking water from the handle. My first reaction was that the hose had come loose from the handle and by mysterious ways in the other end as well, under the countertop.

However, this wasn't the case. It was the WHOLE HOSE that was leaking! Water sprinkled from every lap of the metal spiraling on the hose?!? I was completely amazed, it was as if there had come acid into the waterline that was eating away on what I assume is a rubber or vinyl hose inside. After discussing with wife the only thing she could imagine being different from normal use was that she had sprayed very hot water, but that's it.

I checked our water heater, which is on medium heat, and I found a manual for the Dornbracht on the internet that said that maximum water temperature should be 194F or 90C. We have fairly hot water, as I can imagine most people, but nowhere that hot!

I will call them tomorrow but in the meanwhile I'm wondering if there is anyone that has ever had a similar experience? The faucet is 'german engineering' and gives an incredible solid impression in all other aspects, could I have gotten a lemon?

On top of it, the way the faucet works it seems to put pressure on the sprayer as well when you turn the knob (or dial) so now we can't use the faucet at all and have no water for the kitchen sink. :-(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dornbracht Tara mysterious catastrophy!

let us know the outcome, could be an installation problem with too much pressure, who knows ?

o

I have the Tara Profi with side sprayer and it works perfectly. These faucets are solid brass so it must be some really weird defect to have this happen. I cannot imagine it's hot water.

I had a problem with one of their shower valves and they sent me a new one very quickly. I found their customer service to be good so I'll hope they take care of it without a problem as quickly as they did for me.

o

so what happened in the end?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here