Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenswrens

OT: How do you store your brown sugar?

jenswrens
14 years ago

It seems no matter what I try, it always ends up hard as a rock after the first use.

How/where do your store yours? What am I missing here?

Comments (24)

• lascatx
    14 years ago

I put it into a Tupperware container. It stays fresh and it's easier to scoop out that way.

• alabamanicole
    14 years ago

My grandmother leaves a slice of bread in with her sugar and it's always soft.

I just leave mine sealed up well and get the same results.

• nhbaskets
    14 years ago

I keep mine in Tupperware along with a brown sugar keeper. It's a terra cotta piece that you soak in water. Keeps it from getting hard. You can find them in most kitchen stores.

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

I keep it in a ziploc freezer bag.

• jejvtr
    14 years ago

ziplock w/all air out then clothes pinned

• sue36
    14 years ago

In a Ziplock freezer bag with all the air pushed out, and then that goes in a Portmeirion canister. The canister is fine for flour and white sugar, but the brown sugar needs the ziplock bag.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Ditto Lascatx's answer...Dump it in Tupperware container and it certainly is easy to scoop. :-)

• arleneb
    14 years ago

I've found the old round Tupperware containers keep it fresher than the newer square ones -- I've just switched back to the one I've used for 40+ years.

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I don't. I make it fresh from molasses and white sugar. I think it has a richer flavor that way and it's one less item taking up storage.

• megradek
    14 years ago

I store my flour, and brown, white and powdered sugar in cylindrical stainless containers I got from crate and barrel when I got married (6 years ago). The lids can sometimes be more difficult to remove since they suction on so well, and I've thought about replacing them (my mom comes over and complains about how difficult it is!). but honestly have never had anything but moist brown sugar and non-clumped white sugar!

• scootermom
    14 years ago

I just roll over the bag and secure it with a rubber band. It never gets hard. Go figure!

• lpb313
    14 years ago

I store in plastic bag in the refrigerator drawer with the cheese etc. it stays soft for a long time

• cindyandmocha
    14 years ago

Riverspots I want your recipe!

• riverspots
    14 years ago

I don't have a recipe handy. It was always on the bottle of Grandma's (brand) molasses I buy for gingerbread cookies. Of course I happened to have a different brand in the pantry at the moment. But I just mix to color. Both Grandma's and Brer Rabbit have both a light and dark molasses. I use the light version for most brown sugar recipes but the dark for less sweet things like baked beans or brown bread.

Oh...thanks to the internet-I found it: 1 cup sugar + 2 TB molasses.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

I keep mine in an old square-ish tupperware container with a Brown Sugar BearÂ. :-) Every now and again (since we don't use up the brown sugar very quickly), I need to take the bear out, and re-soak it in water. After I put the bear back in the container with the sugar, the sugar re-softens.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brown Sugar Bear

• annie.zz
    14 years ago

I want one of those bears!

• carpenterlady
    14 years ago

Tupperware. Modular Mates from Tupperware. A super oval #1 modular mate will hold 1 lb. of brown sugar, a super oval #2 will hold 2 lb. of brown sugar. An oval #2 will hold 1 lb. or brown sugar. A square #1 modular mates will hold 2 lb. of brown sugar. A good tip is to place a piece of fresh bread in the modular mate with the brown sugar for 24 hours, remove after 24 hours. The moisture from the bread will keep the brown sugar soft. Tupperware states that staples such as baking products will stay fresh for one year in modular mates.

• sara_the_brit_z6_ct
    14 years ago

FWIW, I have found that very gently warming the block of sugar in the microwave (on defrost) loosens it up . . . .

• kpaquette
    14 years ago

tupperware with a slice of bread. We use the end pieces for it. :-)

• zelmar
    14 years ago

I used to have a lot of trouble with brown sugar going hard when I bought the small boxes. I've been buying the larger bags for quite a few years now and never have a problem. I do the same as scootermom, roll the top of the bag over and secure it with a rubber band...actually I use 2-3 rubber bands spaced evenly to ensure it all stays well sealed.

I also like the larger bag because I can put a measuring cup right down into the bag and use my hand outside of the bag to pat down the sugar into the cup.

• catt11
    14 years ago

I do as others have said: I roll the top of the bag tight so all air is out, then secure it with a rubber band. I then put it into a zip lock bag again making sure all air is out. It is amazing, but since I have been doing this the last 2 years, I have had NO problem with hard brown sugar! Prior to doing it this way, I had problems with the brown sugar always turning hard!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I don't consider this "off topic"...it's relevant to kitchens! Yet, the PTB have decided it didn't belong on the "Discussions" side........

• 3katz4me
    14 years ago

One of those clear Rubbermaid canisters with the white top - never gets hard or dry. I use those for everything - sugar, flour, cat food, rice, etc.

• jenswrens
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I too think it's kitchen related. No wonder I couldn't find the thread anymore! I guess I shouldn't have said OT in the title.

Anyway, thanks everyone for the great ideas. I'm getting one of those sugar bears to try!