Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
3katz4me

anyone with cat allergies?

3katz4me
17 years ago

I don't have them - allergies that is - but I have cats and relatives that are allergic to them. Is there anything I can do to minimize the allergens to improve the situation when the relatives are here? Any kind of air filtration system that really works?

Comments (17)

• sue36
    17 years ago

If their allergy is severe then there is nothing you can do. I am allergic to all animal fur, saliva, etc. My SIL is an impeccable house-keeper and I practically need to be hospitalized after leaving her house (she has two dogs and 1 cat). If I take medication I can last a little for awhile. It is better in the summer than winter because the house is closed up less and she can put the dogs on their screened porch. I have a cat, and manage my allergy by taking Allegra and Singulair everyday. We also have hardwood floors.

• msrevise
    17 years ago

gibby, DH and my kids are allergic. If i know we're going to visit someone w/cats, i give them allergy meds that morning, but they still get snuffly later. One thing i'd say is, if there's any room where the cats don't go, hang out in there more of the time, or if there's a room where their litter box is, stay away from there and the places they spend the most time. Are the relatives spending the night?

• uxorial
    17 years ago

I have been told by people who are allergic to cats, that since we replaced our wood floors with slate, they don't feel as "bad" when visiting (we have two cats). And believe me, I'm not a meticulous housekeeper. :) These same visitors are affected when they are in a room without slate floors, especially my "computer room," where the cats hang out all the time.

Could just be a coincidence, and of course you can't immediately replace your floors with slate, but I thought I'd pass it along.

• kitchenobsessed
    17 years ago

Vacuuming all upholstered surfaces helps some. I have also heard that wiping down cats daily with a damp washcloth also helps remove a lot of dander.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Darn - I was hoping there might be something that would help - something I could start running now that would make it tolerable by Thanksgiving!! Unfortunately for them these cats have the run of the house. And heavens no - they're not staying over night - I'm just hoping they can make it through Thanksgiving dinner. Msrevise - the situation you describe sounds like the last time they were here - the allergic ones all loaded up with meds before they came but they were snuffly in a major way by the time they left. I felt really bad but I've had cats for 28 years and they're like family to me. The allergies seem to have gotten worse - or maybe there's something about my second generation cats that's worse for people who are allergic.

• paigect
    17 years ago

gibby, different cats have different amounts of the dander that causes allergies. Older cats and kittens are usually the worst.

When my mother comes over I vaccuum the whole house extra well, especially upholstered furniture, and I confine the kitties to the basement or the outdoors while she is here. That seems to help a little.

• sue36
    17 years ago

Hardwood floors, tile floors, etc., do make a difference. One thing you can do is put a clean, fresh sheet or blanket on the upholstered piece of furniture the person will be sitting on. And then don't let the cat on it.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, I have all wood and tile floors so I guess that's a start. I'll try vacuuming everything thoroughly and confining the cats to the utility room. Maybe my new Bosch vacuum will help!!

• kitchenobsessed
    17 years ago

Gibby: Have UNupholstered chairs for the allergy sufferers to sit on; they are a little bit better than vacuumed upholstered ones, albeit less comfortable. Kaiser told me one can take Benadryl on top of regular allergy meds like Claratin. I buy the kids' liquid stuff since I can control the dosage better, since Benadryl is prone to knock me out big time. My daughter says it makes her hyper. Some heating systems blow around the dander a lot; I generally feel better by an open window or going outdoors periodically. Possibly, if you start wiping down the cats now and vaccum regularly in between, your house might have less total dander than if you didn't wipe them down.

• msrevise
    17 years ago

gibby, do you have, or could you borrow a vacuum w/a Hepa filter? The other thing that may help is to get one of those room air cleaners w/a Hepa filter and run it continuously in the room they're in before they arrive and while they're visiting. Anyway, i think it's very considerate of you to try and alleviate the problem! If they're only coming for dinner,etc., i'm sure it won't be that bad for them.

I dunno about the benadryl and claritin together--we were warned against doing something like that. My kids take zyrtec, and it really does seem to make a difference for them.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

msrevise - my new vacuum does have a hepa filter. I was wondering about one of those air cleaner things you run as you mention - I wonder if they really work.

They apparently anticipate it being so bad they suggested we GO OUT TO DINNER on Thanksgiving instead of coming to our house.....we have had TG at our home for about the last twenty years.....

Wiping down the cats - perhaps this is a new use for miracle cloths?????

• nayasabrina
    17 years ago

Gibby- It's wonderful that you're so considerate of your guests- but seeing how generous you are on the forum I'd expect no less. As a cat lover with severe animal dander allergies my best advice is to be understanding and supportive if they need to keep their visit short- say for only dessert. It is a matter of health, after all; allergies can be life threatening. Even after maxing out on the meds it's no fun wheezing for a couple of days after exposure.

Naya

• alexrander
    17 years ago

Ah Gibby, Just last year a friend of mine almost lost their adopted daughter due to cat allergies. They knew, but ignored their doctors advice. I think people who don't have allergies don't get how dangerous it can be.

I wonder if you have a neighbor you're friendly with who won't be home for Thanksgiving and will let you use their place? O.K. silly, but it's been done before.

• 3katz4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Okay - all my concern has been in vain. They've made the decision not to come - which I understand.

• msrevise
    17 years ago

gibby, i'm sorry it didn't work out (or maybe it did!). Anyway, i just can't quite get this picture out of my mind of you wiping down your cats with a Miracle Cloth, lol! (Make sure you do the countertops FIRST...)

• sedeno77
    17 years ago

Hi Gibby - I am alergic to cats - big time. No amount of cleaning will help those that suffer from this horrible alergy. I don't even have to see a cat to get the alergy. I really hate going to homes where cats live. My best friend and neighbor has 5 cats - when I go over I can last maybe 1/2 hour until all the symtoms flair up. I then go home take a shower and I am fine. I do pity your relatives - and you are fine person to care - but there isn't much you can do except give them benedryl and a hot bath!

• sawmill
    17 years ago

Gibby, I think they made the right decision for themselves due to the health concern. Sometimes the long anticipation of the misery is almost as bad as the misery when it hits. And you would have been no less comfortable in light of your concerns for them.

I am a cat lover and I was always on meds to tolerate cats. Thirteen years ago I discovered Maine Coons and their cousins, Norweigian Forest Cats & Russian Siberians. Much to my surprise, I am totally not allergic to Maine Coons, but still react to other breeds and mixed breeds. It is a pleasure to be able to have cats in our home and I never have complaints from visitors with allergies since I acquired my Maine Coons.

A close friend bought a MC after I discovered this, because a family member has severe allergies and stopped visiting her when she previously had a cat. The sister-in-law resumed her visits without a problem. I don't know if it works for everyone, but it certainly has for us.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource