Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Radon/gamma ray issues in countertop materials

Posted by mme.loup (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 28, 09 at 10:16

Are there any reputable (independent) studies regarding reports of high emissions of radiation in some countertop materials? There are accusations that some of the studies are funded by synthetic countertop manufacturers. There have also been rumors that synthetic and concrete materials can also have radiation emissions since they too use products from the earth. I planning to do granite countertops, but wonder if it's possible to determine ahead of time if a particular choice has a high reading.
Thanks for any thoughts on this matter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Radon/gamma ray issues in countertop materials

Rent a geiger counter and bring it with you to the stone yard. Good chance you'll be wasting your money on the rental, but if it'll make you feel better, that's the way to go. As for reputable independent studies, there are none. Either they've been backed by the solid surface industry, or they've been backed by the Marble Institute of America (MIA). Either way, you're not going to get an impartial study.

I WILL say this, though-- this issue HAS been blown way out of proportion by the SSA. Not that it's not something that should be kept in mind while shopping for your stone, but it's not something that's going to eliminate the need for a microwave, either. I DO find it interesting that although this side is just for off topic conversations, and that you have to go through the proper forum to get to this one, you posted this over here where it'll stay up top of the list for a much longer time. If this is really a bonafide question, I apologize for the suspicion. But we've had a couple who are solid surface contractors come in here talking about how bad granite is under different names for the last couple of years, just to scare people away from it, thereby boosting the solid surface industry.

If you're really interested, check out the following thread from a couple of weeks ago:

Here is a link that might be useful: Is granite dangerous? Have heard it emits radon?

o
RE: Radon/gamma ray issues in countertop materials

One other you might check out. Pay particular attention to posts by a gentleman named Caoimhn P. Connell (his first post is post #12). He's got no "horse in the race", and this is what his profession is all about:

Here is a link that might be useful: Inspection News Forum

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here