Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gonna go for it this afternoon!

Posted by bill_vincent (billvincent@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Oct 20, 06 at 9:08

About time, too! I'll find ANY reason to get out of work early on FRIDAY!! LOL At 3:00 this afternoon, Kathleen and I are headed to see a hypnotherapist to try and quit smoking. We've put it off for way too long, and it's getting to the point that even simple tasks are winding me, so we're going to try it and see what happens. This woman offers a full lifetime money back guarantee, so I'm hoping that means that she's pretty successful at stopping this crap. But I figured I'd post this, along with updates, over here because embarrassment at admitting failure would be another deterrent from picking up another cigarette!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gonna go for it this afternoon!

Way to go.

Get rid of all the ashtrays in the house, take them out and make sure you dispose of them in a place that they can't easily be retreived. Just looking for a place for those ashes should slow you down if you feel the urge.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Barb

o

You go Bill!
You'll feel so much better when you succeed -- healthier, younger, more energetic.

Congratulations on taking this step --

o

I know you can do it. If you can do such beautiful precise tile work, you can do this.
Funny story, my Mom quit the day of my wedding because she ran out and couldn't get to the store. She told me she would stay off of them as long as I stayed married. So far it has been 29 years for both of us! She had her doubts because I had only know my DH-to-be for less then 3 months and most of that was long distance.
Good luck, I hope it works for you! Just take it one day at a time.

o

Good for you Bill!! DH quit smoking 20 years ago and I saw how hard it was - but he is SOOOOO happy he did it. He used Nicorette when it was prescription only. He loved that stuff. The doctor finally had to call him and tell him to wean himself from it because he was getting more nicotine than he did when he was smoking. He finally got off that but it took awhile. I thought he was long done with it when I slammed on the brakes one day and a box of it came sliding out from under the seat..... Good luck - you can do it!!

o

Best of luck to you, Bill. I know it's tough, and wish DH would take the incentive as well.

o

Great decision! My inlaws went to a hypnotherapist and it worked for them. It was still hard work but I think doing it together was key.

o

Good luck, Bill!! Congratulations on this huge step-- we're all rooting for you!!

o

Good luck, Bill. You can do it! One of our good friends is a hypnotherapist & he has had great results with his "stop smoking" clientele. Even my FIL, who has smoked...unfiltered...for about 50 years at least managed to quit with the help of Nicorette.

I managed to quit, cold turkey, about 16 years ago. I gave it up for Lent & figured that if I could abstain for 40 days I could abstain forever. So far, so good (and being married to a non smoker helps).

Go, Bill! Think of the gorgeous bike you can buy with the money you'll save!

Nina

o

Bill... I'm praying for you. Talk lots of walks with your beautiful wife, you both deserve wonderful health. Let us know how the hypnotherapy goes later on today if you have time to post.

o

Way to go, Bill! Friends of our quit over one year ago and they are so happy they did. Both of them had smoked for over 30 years!! They put the money they would have spent on cigarettes in a "vacation jar". So far they've had the money to go to the Finger Lakes, Cape Cod, Cape May and Virginia.
I do have a suggestion if you already don't do this: don't let anyone smoke in your house. Period. If they must smoke, they can take it outside. We have never let anyone smoke in our house...not easy at times, like when it's zero degrees and folks want to have a cigarette and we tell them to take it outside. I figure if they want to smoke that much, let them deal with it. Heartless, ain't I?

o

Bill, go for it!!!

And if you struggle too much with the withdrawal, *please* look into acupuncture.

I was born addicted to nicotine, and smoked for decades. Nothing worked for me, not burying my mother who died of lung cancer, not hypnosis, not drugs, not smoking cessation behavior treatment - nothing. Then, duh, I remembered having been a research subject in early acupuncture studies at Harvard in the 70's. I had been a "treatment failure" in that study, but I did cut back to almost none without trying. We had been instructed not to try to quit and to smoke if we wanted to. I smoked. And I vividly remember one session reporting on my (enormous) food intake the previous couple days and the researcher held up a hand mirror and showed me how my 'appetite' pin in my ear had come out and was lying sideways under the tape. Absolute truth.

So, I asked around for a referral. Long story short: Couple accupuncture sessions in 1997. Haven't had a cigaret since. No urge whatsoever. Even in times of hellacious stress and devastating loss. No urge.

So keep accupuncture in mind as a plan B. Although I do believe when it is time, it is time, and you quit.

Sending vibes of strength and healing your way. Drink lots of fluids and treat yourself to nice smells: fruits, clean sheets, hot bath, flowers, wife's cologne...it is whole new fresh world waiting for you.

Best of luck.

o

Go Bill. I know heavy smokers who used hypnosis successfully. I don't like to think about how many years I smoked 1.5 - 2 packs of menthols a day. I quit last May and started the patch and gum but it was the Zyban that really did it and I stayed on it for a year. As celticmoon said, I've heard accupuncture works. Do whatever works for you and as many things as you need to do to get off it. I always say that nicotine is my drug of choice and I can't have the occasional cigarette any more than an alcoholic can have an occasional drink. I'm thinking positive thoughts for you.

o

How is it going, Bill?

Crunch time. There is an infinite distance between none and one - very little between one and two, etc.

Stay strong.

o

Bill, about 13 years ago I kicked a two pack a day habit cold turkey and it wasn't pretty. But I did it and believe me, I'm so glad I did! Of course I only smoked for about 7 years and I'm sure you've had the habit longer, so it will be a tougher battle. But think of all the years you are adding on to your life to enjoy the grandkids. Oh, and to enjoy the boat!

Hang in there!

o

Don't be surprised if you don't see me around much over the next couple of days. From the time we got there till the time we finished supper, I was good to go. But sitting here in front of the puter is tougher than hell, so I'm going to kinda stay away for a couple of days-- maybe spend minimal time here answering email, and maybe some of the more pressing questions here in the forums. But for tonight, I wanted to come in here and thank all of you for the support. This is WAY more response than I ever expected!! And now, I'm outa here for the night. I'm sure this'll get easier over the next few days, and then I can start coming back in and answering everyone's problems as I usually try to. I'll atleast pop back in here tomorrow afternoon.

o

Good for you Bill!
The first 30 days will be the worst from what I hear, until the nicotine gets out of your system.

Hang in there! We'll be thinking about you!

o

Here's a reframe on the irritability (likely cresting soon):

When you are struggling like this to save yourself, no way should anybody else be dumping cr*p on your world....
So go ahead. Scowl and snap a little. Zero toloerance. Whatever you need to do.

And promise yourself if you decide to fold, you will wait one more hour. The Jones could pass in that time. Hang in there.

o

The acupuncture sounds like a miracle treatment...I quit after being a pretty involved smoker as soon as I learned I was pregnant.

I'll just share this, on the theory that the more options to choose from the better: one thing I did was to say to myself, as soon as I wanted to have a cigarette, "O.K., I'm going to *NOT* have a cigarette now." As in an active NOT-having, rather than just I'm not going to have a cigarette, if you get the difference. One is a positive action, one is refraining from a negative action. Yes, I'm that susceptible to rhetoric that it worked for me :) I could literally count the number of cigarettes I "didn't" have each day; those would be the ones that I really really wanted, as opposed to the reflex ones that happened naturally when doing certain things. So I could see how much I was craving, and watch the craving go down over time.

Sometimes, "not having" a cigarette would involve taking several deep breaths, like in for 7, hold for 4, out for 7 through the mouth just like smoking. (This icky stuff is just between us former smokers, right?) It let me know I was actively taking in *good* air, rather than sucking in lung-destroying tar.

And another thing: every time I wanted a cigarette, I thought of the effect of smoke on my baby. That worked *quite* well. With all the research available on secondhand smoke, you can use this too wrt your grandchildren. You're helping your grandchildren be healthier, not just get the privilege of having you around longer.

GO FOR IT! :)

o

Do it, Bill. I quit before I was married 26 years ago (let's just say it was a 'condition' of our getting married- I don't blame him and it was absolutely for the best!) by using hypnotherapy. I also had to cut out my 'triggers'- I didn't have a drink for 15 years because I knew I would really want a cigarette, and I drank my coffee cold and quickly rather than linger over a hot cup.

My parents refused to smoke at my reception, and did acupuncture at Scripps Clinic in CA a month before the wedding. They had smoked for decades and quit on the spot. I still have trouble believing it was an instant fix, but whatever works.

We are 1000% behind you both!

o

Congratulations Bill! I always think getting started on something is the hardest part. I'll visualize you healthy and smoke free. Hang in there...

o

I'll tell ya, I've been "smokin" the HELL outa these straight pretzels!! LMAO

As for this hypnosis, I don't know if I just got a charlitan, or what, but what a waste of time (notice I didn't say money-- I'll get to that in a second)!!

I say waste of time, because the whole reason for going the hypnosis route was because supposedly you don't get the cravings or desire to smoke afterward. That's a load of hogwash. Today has been an adventure thru hell!! I had to go to southern new Hampshire this afternoon, and driving is one of 3 times typically when I smoke the most. I can't tell you how close I came to getting off the highway and picking up a pack!! The ONLY thing that stopped me was the 700.00 that it cost for the both of us. I wasn't about to let that be in vain. I found out yesterday when I went that I misunderstood the guarantee-- it's not money back-- if it doesn't work, you can come back for a free session. One way or the other, the hypnosis did nothing for me. But losing the money did!!

o

Bill,

First of all, I am pulling for you and sending good vibes your way!

Second of all, I think you should work that money angle. How long would it take you to smoke $700 worth of cigarettes? Because now you HAVE to stay off them *at least* that long -- you've spent your cigarette allowance!

Remember that, with few exceptions, every day will get a little better...

o

Hey Bill,
I went to hypnosis 2 x's, tried the gum, tried the patch. Smoked 2 pks a day for 30 yrs. I finally tried zyban and it really worked. I did not gain weight, it took the edge off of any food cravings and emotional eruptions associated with smoking cessation. I have been smoke free for 7 years. I still enjoy smelling a cigaret when someone lights up, but it took so much effort to quit, I could never go back.

The one thing that helped me, was to remove myself from situations where I would normally enjoy a smoke, ie: after dinner....go for a walk, or help clean the house. Good luck. You CAN do it.

o

How long would it take you to smoke $700 worth of cigarettes? Because now you HAVE to stay off them *at least* that long -- you've spent your cigarette allowance!

That's the scary part, and the second biggest reason why we're both quitting-- it would only take 5 weeks!! It costs us about 7200.00 a year to smoke!! Isn't that disgusting??? Talk about a WASTE!!

Softfurn-- I'm doing that where possible. But my biggest three are while I'm at the computer, while I'm driving, and while I'm watching television. I pretty much stayed off the computer for most of the day yesterday. I tried to keep myself active, so I wasn't sitting in front of the tube for any real length of time. However, I had to make a 5 hour round trip yesterday that was sheer hell. As I said above, I went and bought some pretzel sticks, and I've been smokin the hell out of em!!

I know this is mostly psychological. The physical part, I can lick no problem. It's breaking a 32 year old habit that's tough, but I'll get it. :-)

o

Do not read if you get grossed out easy....

I quit smoking in 1982, I had started in 73'. I quit cold turkey and do not like the smell of it anymore.

I was at a family gathering and one particular guest (AKA PITA relative) would love to get into a debate about anything! He worked at the funeral home at that time and when he saw me smoking he felt I needed to know what lungs really look like and I was given a very detailed conversation about this. I was so upset with him!

Everytime I lit up I could not get those detailed images out of my mind. I had to see a Dr at Mayo clinic for my shoulder and in-between appointents I viewed their museum. Displayed was actual sections of lungs from 10 years, 20, 30,etc. You could see the deteriation. It was not just photos, but used to be a part of someone's lung.

I quit smoking

Hope you can do the same Bill!

o

kylie-- I can do this, but not because of what I know it does to me, intellectually. I've SEEN the pics, and the lung sections. My mother died from lung cancer, and my dad from a massive coronary (he was into 2 cartons of Camel nonfilters a week). Intellectually, I KNOW all this, and I've SEEN all this. I've SEEN the guy who's smoked all his life, only to spend his retirement carrying an oxygen bottle around with him, and he's the LUCKY one!!

Knowing all this in your mind and in your heart are two very different things. For the last year or two, I've been saying I was going to quit. It's bothered me that I can't have a good belly laugh without ending up in a severe coughing spasm. (Blue Collar Comedy Tour about KILLED me!!) My last straw, though, was about 2 weeks ago. I was working on a job site, and one of the things I had to do was a bathroom floor up on the second floor. once I was done with it, I made two trips to carry down the excess materials and tools, and after 2 trips DOWNSTAIRS with the stuff, I was completely winded, and had to sit down for a few minutes!! It was about then that I realised if I didn't do something quick, I wouldn't be around in another 4 years (the age my father was when HE died-- 53).

That was MY wakeup call.

o

Try gum, sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Those little suckers take forever to open and keep you occupied. Roll down the windows in the van and take big deep breaths of fresh air. Play music you can sing along with to keep your mind preoccupied. If you can put your mind to doing that gorgous tile work you do, you can get through quitting. GO BILL, GO BILL, GO BILL.

o

Bill, I didn't want to say a few days ago and burst your bubble, but my DH tried the hypnosis thing several years ago, and he had the same experience you did. I think he lit up on the way home from the seminar. He never went back to make good on the guarantee.

He did quit smoking once for over a year, using the patch. Then he quit again for a while using lozenges and Wellbutrin. But eventually he started again. That was a couple years ago. I don't know if he has any intentions of quitting again; I sure wish he would. He's also aware of the health issues (his dad, also a smoker, has had a heart attack and a stroke; and my mom died from the effects of a series of strokes), and has even read several books about brain chemistry. None of it seems to matter. Nor does the expense, which here in Washington is nearly $7 per pack. Yes, that's right--$7. (Keep in mind that I don't smoke and never have, so he can't even use the excuse of living with a smoker making it hard to quit. He can be in a completely smoke-free environment 24/7 if he chooses.)

I'm glad you've had a wake-up call. That's what prompted my mom to quit cold turkey after smoking most of her life. She got out of bed one day, lit a cigarette, and thought she was going to die. She never picked up another one. I'm sure that when she wanted one she just thought about how she felt on that day, and that was enough to keep her from smoking.

We're all pulling for you!

o

Bill -- Good for you! Go for it and stay smoke free. We'll all pull for you and encourage. It's wonderful and every day improves your health. ((((Bill))))

o

Bill, I'm plugging the Zyban (Wellbutrin same thing) again. It significantly decreases and often takes away the craving you're experiencing. I was using the patch but didn't feel in control until I started Zyban. It's by prescription but any internist will prescribe it for you. Do it now while you're still motivated.

o

I did the Wellbutrin about 3 years ago. Didn't do a damn thing for me. I also tried the patch years ago. The day I started working for my last employer, he told me if I'd quit smoking, on the 12 month anniversary, he'd give me a 2.00 an hour raise. I slapped a patch on that day. That went great for about a month, and then one day, we were working about 1 1/2 hours away from the shop, and when it came time to get in the van and go home, I started feeling lightheaded. But when I put my head between my legs, then I felt sick to my stomach!! So I ended up riding that whole hour and a half with my face in a bucket. When we got back to the shop, I still had another 45 minute ride home, again, with my face in a bucket. I told my girlfriend that I was going to take a shower, and then she needed to take me into the ER, because something was definitely wrong. Well, I went into the bathroom and took my shirt off, and there was the patch. I said to myself, "You SOB!" I took the patch off, and sure enough, about 5 minutes later, I felt fine. So I tried stepping down from the 21mg. to 14mg.. Didn't work.

I'm a typical guy-- the only thing that means anything to me is losing the money!! My wife's having even a harder time of it than I am. The only thing that's stopping her is that I've told her if she starts back, so will I. She's even asked for PERMISSION to go get a pack (without my giving up)!!

Softfurn-- I've already gone thru 2 jars of sunflower seeds, as well as a huge can of cashews!! And that's just the beginning!! For the first time in my life since I was a teenager, I'm gonna hafta go on a diet when this is over!! LOL

o

As hard as it is to lose weight, it's nothing compared to quitting smoking. So you put on some pounds now. Next year you can take it off.

o

I really am pulling for you Bill.
I have smoked for 50 years. I used Wellbutrin and the patch. The folks at the Mayo clinic said to do anything you want. Two patches, put on your jugular if that works for you. Just so you quit. Quitting isn't so hard for me, it's the keeping quit that is hard.

I stopped for a year and had ONE cigarette and was back again.

Smoking changes the chemistry of your brain and the changes are permanent so you will always get hooked again if you have any cigarettes.

The breaking of the nicotine habit is easier for me than the psycological part of it. The " business" of smoking is what I have a hard time with.

I am going to try again before winter arrives because when we moved, I started smoking outside only. And in Minnesota one does not want to stand outside for long smoking.

Good luck, you are my hero.

o

And in Minnesota one does not want to stand outside for long smoking.

You want to hear a funny (more pathetic, actually) story? Years ago, when my ex and I split up, I rented a room from a very nice couple. The only problem we had was there was no smoking in the house. I could smoke out on the front porch, instead, which to me, was a fair enough comprimise, being that I would still carry the cigarette smell around with me. In the MIDDLE OF WINTER, up here in Maine, INCLUDING THROUGH 2 BLIZZARDS, and subzero temps, I was out on that porch!

Quitting isn't so hard for me, it's the keeping quit that is hard.

I know what you mean. Some comedian used to have a line something like that-- Quittin ain't hard-- I do it 20, maybe 30 times a day!!

o

GO BILL.....GO BILL.......GO BILL......GO BILL.......GO BILL.....GO BILL

o

Bill,
I quit years ago and started working out tht very day. Everytime I wanted a cigarette I would say "okay, first 10 sloow sit-ups, or 10 jumping jacks or 10 of whatever was doable in that situation. Jumping jacks were very effective. I also started running. walk 2 minutes, run a minute the 1st 2 days for 15 minutes away from my house and then back. Next two days, walk 2 minutes, run two minutes etc. Run no faster than you can talk or whistle.
Keep upping the run time every two days and then reduce walk time to one minute til you are at 30 minutes straight running. Do not worry about speed. i did this every other day for 8 weeks. I found the progress to be reinforcement and the enrgy consumption very helpful with that "nervous" energy from quitting. I had never run or anything before and in the beginning was so red in the face, but by the end of 8 weeks the feeling of success really helped and encouraged me. I'm still running (sort of) 20 plus years later. Quitting and working out saved my life I'm sure.

o

Bill, I don't post much but I've been checking the thread to see how you're doing. I would definitely try what Jill suggest and exercise! There is nothing you want less after exercising than a smoke (at least that is how I felt)! Start small (brisk walking) and work your way back up to running! You'll get there! Not only would you be doing good by not smoking but you're increasing your health by moving!

Also, someone else suggested to only think in the moment. Don't look too far ahead with the non-smoking thing. It's too overwhelming. Get past each moment and believe me...each moment does get easier and easier!

Good luck and keep up the good work!!
Kristy :)

o

Bill,

I haven't checked into these forums in forever but did so today and I just had to read your thread. I can't say just how proud I am of you for taking this step. Just think how young and sexy you're gonna be for doing this!!!

Good Luck!

Catslikemice

o

I would second/third that exercise thing - DH did that too. He started running at the same time he started trying to quit smoking. And then he decided to run a marathon on his 30th birthday - it was either marathon or smoke - he chose marathon. Hang in there - you can do it!!

o

Pulling for you, Bill, sending good thoughts your way.

My husband stopped last year, and though it has been hard, and he has had a couple of momentary relapses, he has never 'resumed smoking.' He gets frustrated that the desire is still there all these months later, but he is really proud of the fact that he is able to fight through it. It honestly gets easier every single day. He has found that Smokers Anonymous groups helped--lots of support there, and he started walking every day, too. He is a singer and his voice sounds better than it has in years-- that has been a great motivator for him, just like it will be for you when you are able to start climbing stairs or laughing without it turning into a coughing and gasping fit!

You CAN do this, you know. It's a day at a time, sometimes an hour or minute at a time, but it is do-able. Just think how good it will feel to not be at the mercy of an inanimate object anymore! And may I add, speaking as a wife, that you will most definitely smell better and it is much, much more enjoyable to kiss a nonsmoker!

Best of luck to you,
Victoria

o

Thank you, very much.

It honestly gets easier every single day.

That's a fact. It's exponentially easier today than it was saturday. Although we still have our times, I have a feeling Kathleen and I are past the worst of it.

I have no illusions about this. The only other time I ever quit for any extended period of time, about 20 years ago, I know that even a year later, I was still getting cravings. (I quit for 14 months back then) It's just like any other addiction-- once you're an addict, you're always an addict, whether it be one that's hooked, or recovering-- that's the only difference.

o

Bill,
Just checking in. I agree, try to stay in the moment. For right now, just don't have that cigarette,not now. Don't think about never or 14 months from now. It's a fight won one at a time.

o

WOW!!! Good for you!

Bill, Bill, He's our man!!
If he can't do it, NO ONE can!!!

:)
Ivette

o

Keep up the good work! You can do this, Bill!

o

Bill (and others)--Have you heard that the cigarette manufacturers have been putting more nicotine in cigarettes? That alone could make it harder for you and Kathleen to quit this time around.

So glad to hear it's getting a little easier for you each day. Be sure to keep us posted on your progress!

Here is a link that might be useful: more nicotine in cigarettes

o

Oh, just thought of one more tactic my husband uses!

Out of the blue every once in a while my cell phone will ring and I hear my husband's voice say, "Hey-- you can't smoke 'em if you don't buy 'em, right?" I know that is his way of saying he is alone somewhere, probably driving past a store or standing in line at a Mapco staring at a row of cigarette packs and he needs to say out loud what he is wrestling with in his head! I always say, "Yep, they don't just jump into your mouth all by themselves." Then he hangs up and goes on about his day, but he dealt with the temptation head-on and got some encouragement, too.

You and your wife are so smart to tackle this at the same time. Maybe you can be a phone-buddy-system for each other, too!

Hang tough, Bill. You can do this.

o

Here's a nice timetable of the benefits accruing with every single day:

Here is a link that might be useful: kind of like a reverse advent calendar :)

o

Day 5, Bill. One of the toughest for some strange reason. Stay strong!! You have done great so far!

I'm distressed at the hypnotism thingie costing you $700. What a racket!! Shameful. As a psychologist, I want to apologize to you on behalf of clinicians. I trained in hypnotherapy in my doctoral work, but don't do it much. And in a prior life, I was an assistant to a stage hypnotist in a Newport nightclub. Kinda the same: in both cases one needs to select subjects carefully. Even for the cheesy stage show, we would assess people for suggestibility and only work with those who "passed". You strike me as an independent, strong-willed sort, and I wouldn't figure you to be very suggestible. I hope there was some kind of pretreatment screening, though I'm guessing there wasn't. Again, apologies on behalf of the field.

Like others I didn't want to poopoo hypnosis since you were committed, but it isn't too effective. American Heart Association stop smoking cognitive behavioral groups are a little better, but still marginally effective. Let me repeat myself that acupuncture worked amazing for me.

Know that people are pulling for you here in the GW family.
You mentioned being 49. My dear brother, heavy smoker, captain of a commercial fishing boat out of Gloucester & New Bedford, was one tough, strong guy, - you may know the type. Think George Clooney in The Perfect Storm. Died suddenly in his sleep a year ago August at age 50, leaving two young sons. I still can't believe it.

Save yourself. This is the most important thing you have ever done. Each day really does get better.

o

You strike me as an independent, strong-willed sort, and I wouldn't figure you to be very suggestible.

Normally, I couldn't agree with you more. As kid, I was one of those jerks who had a "Question Authority" bumper sticker!(till I joined the navy!! LOL) But I went into this with an extremely positive attitude-- not HOPING it will work, but KNOWING it would work!! I gave it every benefit of the doubt-- even to the point that while I was "under", I knew I could get out of that chair right then, if I wanted, and ignored that doubt, "classifying" it in my mind as cynicism, and tossing it in my mind's "circular file". I mean, I gave this thing more breaks than I've ever given ANYONE, and still it failed miserably. But that's not going to stop me.

Fly-- thanks for that calender. I've seen those before, and was looking for one, now that it would actually apply to me!!

bbybloomr-- We've been calling back and forth every few hours any time we've been apart, ever since friday afternoon! :-) It's terrific being married to your support system!! LOL

Kathy-- Yes, I've heard that, I believe on one of the news programs (20/20, 48 Hours, Dateline-- one of those). I can't believe that no one's been found criminally negligent yet. This is mass murder that people like Hitler could only DREAM of.

o

Bill, What a gift you are giving yourself and your family! What simple thing worked for me was sugar free hard cinnamon candy. The kind that is in clear red wrapped candy (use to be a penny candy?) Every time I wanted a smoke, I popped one of the candies. I think it was the taste of the firey cinammon that did it. It got easier every day. Keep your mind on other things. I would find at about the 90th day that a "wash" of cigarette yearning came over me, so bad I thought I would die. Stay focused! It goes away. I also had these feelings periodically through the first year. Maybe my brain's way of trying to pull me back to the nasty habit! I'm over 10 years smoke free. If I can do it, you can too.

And you will feel better, no kidding. Best of luck! Rosemary

o

Another 22 hours, and we've "officially" got a full week under our belts!!

o

Go Bill, go Bill! You can do it.

o

Ya baby - you go Bill!! Are you feeling pretty great about this - or are you feeling like you're going through hell? Having never gone through it I have no idea what it's like but I think I'd be pretty proud of getting through my first week.

o

Great job, Bill!! Almost a week!! I hope you guys give yourselves a big (non-nicotine) treat. I don't really know anything about quitting smoking, as neither of our families has smokers still living, but I realize it is HUGE to get to this point and I commend you both for taking this plunge. I grew up with only one living grandparent, as the others all died young from smoking-related illnesses. The one living grandma was a heavy smoker, too, and died when I was 10. She lived with us for 3 years, after her first stroke, and I learned to really dislike cigarette smoke. I adored my grandma but I hated what her smoking did to her and the way it ruled the house. It always seemed to me like the smoke could do anything it wanted and was stinky and evil. Grandma used to say, "Smoke follows beauty," when I'd complain about how it was getting in my face and nose. I know this all sounds silly but I loved her so much and hated what smoking took from her and the fact that she didn't seem to see it as the evil thing it was to me.

Anyway, way to go and keep up the good work!!

o

she didn't seem to see it as the evil thing it was to me

Trust me when I tell you-- she did.

Are you feeling pretty great about this - or are you feeling like you're going through hell?

A little bit of both. :-) It doesn't bother me as much any more (not even CLOSE!), but I do have my moments. I AM seeing one marked change so far, though-- I've noticed that when I get up in the morning, as soon as I wake up, I'm wide awake-- no grogginess at all. That's a good thing for the folks I'm doing tile for!! :-)

o

Congrats! You're doing great so far!

o

Bill, Congratulations. I think we should have you check in here every morning... kind of like a SA group, to keep you honest, and inspired! Now... have you smelled your wifes' hair yet without tobacco???

o

I have a feeling it'll take more than a week to get the tobacco smell out of her hair as well as the rest of this place. We'll get there, though. :-)

o

Bill, I'm a long-time lurker but your thread forces me into public :).

It'll be 11 years for me in March, having been a 2-pack-a-day smoker from the time I was 17 until I was 32. LIke another poster, I began thinking about quitting because it was a necessity if I wanted to spend my life with my now-husband, but I found that it wasn't enough to want to quit for him, I had to want to quit for me. Until I reached that point, quitting was impossible. Once I did, it was the easiest thing I've ever done. Getting to the point where I wanted to quit, truly no longer wanted to be doing that to myself, was the hard part. Because my future-husband's wishes weren't enough for me to hold on to when I wanted a smoke. Once I turned the corner, and was quitting because it was what *I* wanted, it became do-able. Not that there weren't cravings--but I used the patch for several months, learning how to live without the cigarettes without having to go through the withdrawal until I was ready. I participated in an email list at the time, and the list sent cute ASCII-art pictures on relevant anniversaries. The support was great. I don't know if it's still in existence anymore, although I found this website while searching for it:

http://www.stopsmokingcenter.net/

You mentioned that being at the computer was a trigger for you (I think), so maybe finding a way to be online that's supporting your efforts could be helpful!

Also, I have a dozen or so documents with short articles about quitting that I found inspirational. Let me know if you'd like me to email them to you.

Good luck--you can win this one, and the pride in yourself will be like nothing else you've known!

Donna

o

Thank you for the suggestions, Donna. Actually, I did sign up for a quit smoking forum-- http://quitnet.com/ . My problem is that every time I go in there, it reminds me of the fact that I'm NOT smoking. So long as I don't think about it, I'm fine. The only time I deliberately think about it is when I come in here to post now.

As for wanting to quite for myself, I've wanted that for a few years now. Didn't matter. Here's the kicker-- The physical addiction was a piece of cake!! It's the breaking the psychological habit of reaching for a cigarette at certain times that can really drive me nuts!!

I'll get thru it, though.

o

Good going Bill. After 9 months of patch, Zyban and still smoking about 4/day, down from 1 1/2 packs, I've been off everything for 6 months. Yesterday after finishing an afternoon of working on backyard and cellar projects, I really wanted one - it's that psychological habit you're talking about.

You know it's coming and that's going to help you stay on track.

o

Jude-- My wife's having a real hard time right now, and wants to do the same thing-- rationing cigarettes at a rate of just a few a day. I know I do okay normally, but I have my times, too, and I'm trying right now to keep her from going that route, because if she does, I know myself-- if they're in the house, I'll use em when I start gettin a little snaky, too. So far, so good.

With me, there's no middle of the road-- either we quit or we don't. None of this rationing. I've tried that before. It slowed me down for a day or two, but after that, it was done.

o

Hope you are still smokefree!!

Agree with you and the others who say rationing/cutting down doesn't work well. The difference between none and one is immeasurable. Between 3 and 4? A slippery slope.

Hang in there.

o

My husband would do that when he was trying to quit and he ALWAYS went back to the cigs. Ask her to try anything but that!

o

There once was a smart guy named Bill,
who decided that he'd had his fill
of all of that smoking
and coughing and choking,
so he quit, with the power of will.

Hang in there Bill (and Kathleen)! It will be worth it!

o

Bill, although I did it, celticmoon is right that rationing is a slippery slope and it's just too easy to go back up. If you're not smoking at all then you don't have them in the house so deciding to have one means going out to buy them - by which time you've hopefully talked yourself out of it. When they are in the house it's too hard to say no.

o

Very good, Kathy!! Does this mean I have to send you a signed copy of Culture Warrior? :-)

Seriously, thank you. That was sweet!

Jude-- it ain't happnin. :-)

o

TWO WEEKS, 3 HOURS, 40 MINUTES, AND COUNTING!!

:-)

o

Woooo ooo. Way to go Bill! How's the wife doing???

o

just think of all the Senkos you can buy with the money you're saving!

you da man!

o

And you smell so much better!!!!

Seriously.

o

Kathy-- FUNNY YOU SHOULD SAY THAT!! LMAO I'm thinking a little bigger than Senkos, though!! We're talking about getting a newer boat this spring. A good friend of mine's selling his 2003 21' Ranger for $20K, and if he's still got it by the end of march, I may buy it from him! BTW-- do me a favor and email me-- I've got something I want to send you and your husband!

Softfurn-- We're both doing good. Even kathleen's cravings have begun to subside, so it's getting alot easier for both of us to handle. We'll make it!! :-)

celticmoon-- Amen to that. In addition, my wife makes custom doll outfits for collector dolls (her website's below), and it's been a pain in the neck, making sure we keep her "craft room" smoke free, including things like no smoking anywhere near the door to the room, keeping the door shut at all times, having an air purifier going constantly in the room-- all things of the past now!

Here is a link that might be useful: Topos Treasures

o

Bill,
As I remember quitting my 2 and 1/2 pack a day habit in 1979, you are thru the worst of the physical withdrawel. Now it is the mental habit part you have to work on. Try to remember how good it feels to have succeeded in doing this most difficult thing. In the next few weeks you may be tempted to test yourself. Don't do it.

o

Jillypie is right. Don't get cocky or complacent. And don't fall for your own bullsh*t rationalizations in a weak moment.

You are doing great. Have you considered stockpiling the actual cigaret money? Hard cash daily. Just like smoking. Keep depositing it in that boat fund to reward yourselves.

o

Any time I start feeling like it'd be nice just to smoke ONE, I get to thinking about how nice it is to wake up in the morning, feeling rested, and ready to go-- not groggy as hell, coughing and sputtering like an old Model T!! I think about how much more energy I have, even now, only 2 weeks later! I literally feel like I'm in my mid 30's again!

No, there's no going back. I'm done.

o

Bill, after reading your post, I just had to comment. Congratulations on your decision and your success so far!
My husband and I quit smoking abrubtly a couple of weeks ago.. for him tomorrow will mark the two week mark, as he didnt have a choice when he was admitted to the hospital with heart problems. Both of us were long time smokers, 2 packs a day, and although quitting smoking crossed our minds occassionally, the reasons were never about health benefits, always about cost, or nasty odour. Then we'd forget about the thought of quitting, always in denial about the health risks. These things happen to other people, right?
So my DH underwent an angioplasty and had four stents inserted into his artery to repair four blockages. The angiogram photos clearly showed he was days, maybe even hours away from a major heart attack.. after all, he did take himself to the ER with symptoms, and even then, he was thinking a lung infection, it never occured to him it was his heart!

So a very close call, a very rude awakeneing, and a dire warning from the cardiologist that he would be back on the table in 6 months and have to be opened up like a chicken if he continued to smoke. Who can argue with all of that? So here we are, greatful for the chance to have hopefully many more years together.

DH is using the patch and he's finding he can leave putting one on until well into the day.. I am using the gum and am only using 3-4 a day. After 40 years of smoking, we're kind of amazed we arent climbing the walls like we feared. The fear of withdrawal was always the worst part for DH, so he always resisted quitting figuring he would suffer terribly as he did in past attempts to quit.
Our life changed suddenly 13 days ago, we've had to completely change our lifestyle - no smoking, eating a proper low fat, low cholesterol diet, and adding exercise to our daily routines, not to mention becoming informed about the meds DH now has to take each day for the rest of his life and all the risk factors and limitations they come with.

You're already enjoying many of the benefits of being smoke-free, it can only get better!

o

Funny how when you feel things happening inside, THAT'S when it's time to do something!!

I'll let you in on a little secret that I haven't told anyone-- not even my wife to this point-- every day, atleast once a day, I was experiencing an arythmea. For about 2 minutes it would all of the sudden feel like my heart was doing the drum solo from Inna Godda Davida. That's also stopped, and I didn't even realise it till I read your post! I just never thought about it... since I quit! You can BET I was thinking about it ALOT before, though. Between that and the breathing problems I was experiencing, I even told my wife if we didn't do something fast, I wasn't going to be here in 5 years, and I'd be willing to bet it would've happened sooner than that. I have a feeling that the whole reason I've felt such a huge energy return in such a short time is that before I quit, I think my blood oxygen level was WAY down, and I mean to a critical level. I'm pretty sure if I'd walked into an ER, they would've invited me to stay a while. I say this, because when I quit years ago, I didn't feel any real physical differences for MONTHS. This time, it was almost immediate. One way or the other, I'm not looking a gift horse in the mouth. I'm just glad I came to my senses in time.

Kinda reminds me of an old Irish Blessing my mother used to say-- May the good Lord take a likin to ya, but not too much, and not too soon!

o

Bill - so glad to see you're hanging in there - and feeling better already. That has to be VERY motivating. Good for you!!

o

Good for you, Bill. That's really great. The only thing I would suggest- for your own peace of mind, is to still have a checkup with a cardiologist. I am glad you are not having erratic heart rhythms, but you don't want to fool around with this. It is easily controllable nowadays. So... take a break one afternoon, and make an appointment.

o

So... take a break one afternoon,

You make a big funny!! Hell, I had to break an appointment to get much needed work done to my truck 4 times before I could finally get it in!! This economy is not the time to be breaking promises on scheduling to homeowners! You all know how THEY are-- they all want it done yesterday!! :-)

o

Bill,
So glad you are doing so well. What a treat. I, also, had "palpitations" before I quit. Like "Mary Hartman, Mary Hartman" (remember that show?) said, it felt like Giant Eagles in my chest. I have never had it since. I've been running ever since and at one point had a resting heart rate of 48. (That's good, not dead) Everytime I think about a smoke, I think of my firness level and general health at 62 and I resist. Keep truckin'!

o

You can bet on it!!

God bless you, lady!!

o

I've been following along, with today being National Smoke-out day, I just wanted to say, Bill, you're a stud for doing this! And everyone else who has or is working on kicking the habit.

To life.
Lisa

o

Still pulling for ya, Bill.

High five.

Keep it up!

o

Thanks, everyone, for the support. It's over and done with. I've got absolutely no desire to smoke anymore, and it's a great feeling!!

I had a job we had to set up yesterday-- Adam and I installed tile over the entire basement floor of a house today-- about 670 feet (just over 2600 pounds), and we had to carry it in yesterday. I was sore as hell when I got home, but I never lost my breath, didn't need to take any breaks, nothing! Best soreness I've ever felt!!

o

Bill, reading your post gave me goosebumps! I'm so happy that you've stuck with it!

Keep it up!

Same to Kathleen, of course. Is she doing OK still?

o

She sure is!! I'm real proud of her. It's alot tougher for her. We've been here for about 4 years, and with both of us chain smoking (me on the computer and her while crocheting), there's a significant amount of cleaning to do. We've put a good dent into it, but it's not completely done, and there are times when you can still smell the cigarettes. Between that, plus the fact that she stays at home all day, it's been alot tougher on her, and she's come through it with flying colors. Kicking and screaming sometimes, but ninetheless with flying colors. I'm VERY proud of her. :-)

o

Congratulations Bill. You got to the point of having no desire to smoke pretty quickly. You'll love it when you go for a new paint job - especially with both of you not smoking.

o

Believe me when I tell you-- I haven't WANTED to smoke for a long long time now! It was just a matter of getting past the habit pangs!

We DO need to stay away from smokers, though. WE had a friend over this evening who still smokes, and not thinking, he lit up in the apartment. it didn't bother me at all, but Kathleen was beside herself just from the smell of the smoke. She was all set and ready to head to the drugstore!!

o

DH and I quit together too. It's been almost 15 years for me but I still have a twitch of desire when I see someone light up, even in movies. The smell of smoke makes me sick now. I spent several years having dreams where I was smoking and I was constrantly trying to hide it from my DH and afraid he would catch me. lol. It's important to be able to ask friends to not smoke around you. Put a sign on the front door if you have to, "smoke free" or something to that effect. Congrats to you both.

o

Wow, it's been a month! I'm very proud of you both.

o

Hey Bill,
How are you and Kathleen doing? Soon I think you will enter what I call the "Valley of Temptation" when it comes to quitting smoking. At about 2 months ,I thought I had it licked (and I did) but I would have these thoughts when I would smell a cigarette, outside mostly, and think, "oh, I could have one." DON"T! Remeber, no matter how good an ex-smoker feels, the ex-smoker is really a "reformed smoker" and temptation can be out there for years. My brother quit for TWELVE years and then caved. I am not telling you this to scare you but just to encourage and congratulate you on a very tough habit to break.

o

This is my first time at Kitchen "Conversations" in months & months. Wow. I had never pictured you as a smoker, Bill. The fact that you were going to try to quit came as a total surprise. It's funny that you create a whole persona of some of the people on this site just by 'reading' them.............and of course, I've seen your photo posted too.

I just want to say how glad I am for you and your wife, that you attacked this situation and have your real life back. Good for you both. And for any of the rest of you who have quit, or who are trying, I hope for the very best for you too!
Even though I have never smoked, I am working on quitting some addictive behavior myself right now. Other people can encourage you, support you, and applaud you. But ultimately, you have to WANT to. And you have to keep at it.

Red

o

red, I could show you three or four pics, and you'd never think in a million years that it could possibly be the same person in any two of the pictures. :-)

jilly- We're doing okay. I DO get the pangs every so often, but I think it's more a matter of habit than anything else. I finish doing something, and it's time to sit down for a smoke. Or when I'm done with work for the day, I can't COUNT the number of times I've climbed into the truck and reached into my pocket for the pack. One thing people don't realise is just how commited to this I am. It really scared me when I started getting short of breath way too quickly. My father died when he was 53. I'm 49 now. I'm beginning to look at alot of things a little differently.

o
Post Script

As hard as it is to lose weight, it's nothing compared to quitting smoking. So you put on some pounds now. Next year you can take it off.

Almost forgot-- I'm at 35 pounds, so far!! With any luck, someone will hire me to do about a thousand feet of mudset 18x18 granite! That oughta get me back down again!! :-)

o

But how is your wife doing? Is she still hanging in there too? Sure hope so!

o

Bill,
Are you sure the hypnosis didn't help at all? I am still thinking about hypnosis for chronic back pain. How did you feel after you came out of the hypnotic state, more relaxed? Were you able to be put under easily? Maybe the hypnotist wasn't very good.
Donna

o

Donna- I wasn't "under" anything at all. At any time, I could have gotten up out of the chair and walked out. Personally, I think it's a waste of time. As for the chronic back pain, you might have your doctor refer you to a pain management clinic. My wife has the same problem in her lower back, and the place she's gone to has done wonders for her.

sjerin-- She's doing okay. She broke down and fell off the wagon one time about a week ago and had a cigarette. Other than that, though, she's done great-- both before and after.

o

To bad your not in CA, I would FIND 1000 ft of mudset and granite just to keep you not smoking :). It warms my heart to hear in your post the support you and Kathleen have for eachother. Buy her some fancy yarn and new "smokeless" crochet stuff :).

o

Bill,
I've tried everything for my back pain. It's in the muscles I've been told. I looked into pain clinics but they wanted to give me pain meds which I won't take. That solution just covers the problem. I've done physical therapy, yoga, acupunture, chiropractor, Cranial Sacral therapy, Chinese massage, Tiger Balm, sleep on a Foam bed, magnet therapy, but I won't do drugs.
Donna

o

Hi Bill,

Huge congrats on your achievement! I quit 5 years ago. A decade before I was buying a carton of cigarettes at a grocery store and the cashier (who looked to be about 80 yrs. old) told me he'd quit when he was 30 yrs. old and that he STILL craved smokes. Needless to say, I was devastated and believed for a long time quitting was a lost cause. Then, like so many others, I quit 3 times - once for an entire year, before I finally gave them up for good. I haven't had any cravings for a long long time now. In fact, I don't ever think about cigarettes unless I'm subjected to second-hand smoke and then it just seems nasty.

I feel so guilty for all of the years I smoked around my children and I'm thankful for the societal forces in place now-a-days to keep them (and my grandchildren) away from cigarettes. Good luck and happy holidays!

o

Bill, sorry your wife had a little relapse but it sounds like she's good to go again-- hurray for her and for you!

Donna, this sounds way too simplistic, but I've had off and on back problems for years (I'm 46) and it seemed chronic for awhile, starting in my lower back and reaching up to my shoulders, neck and head. We got a new car and..... it disappeared for the most part!! Somehow the ten-year-old seat was causing the problems. I'm not saying my back always feels great, but the pain goes soon after it comes if I keep proper posture and ocassionally take a Motrin. Standing or sitting on hard surfaces too long always brings it on. Just a thought.

Erin

o

One way or the other, Donna, there's GOT to be a way to relieve the pain.

Yadax-- I'm still getting the cravings, but they make no sense to me, so it's pretty easy to ignore them (knock on wood!).

o
RE: smoking and knitting

bill,

First of all congratulations
Funny, I quit smoking in the 2 packs a day in early 90's because I could no longer swim the entire length of a pool underwater. Then I started knitting to keep my hands busy. Now I am an expert knitter, and smoke free (and I can justify the cost of the yarn vs what I paid for cigarettes - well sort of) Tell Kathleen congratulations, and crochet should help her keep her hands busy!

Keep up the good work- and by the way you dont weigh 35 lb do you?

o

sjerin,
I even tried the Alexander Technique which helps to correct your posture. After the first session, the specialist said, "I really can't teach you anything, your alignment is perfect. The only thing I havn't tried is Rolfing, I guess that's next. It cost $1500.00 and the Rolfer said it might not help. I currently used a ointment called Biofreeze and I wear a Tens unit, which is electrical stimulation. It's not really pain, more like a ache in my back that never goes away.
Donna

o

YOB-- no-- that's how much I've GAINED in the last few months

Donna, I'm so sorry you're having this hard a time with it. I certainly hope you can find SOME kind of relief for it soon.

o

YOB, can you really swim 25 meters underwater? That's cool. I've so envied people with good lungs. The smoking *and* the mitral valve prolapse conspired to give me *pathetic* lungs from teen years on. Quitting smoking helped me, I'm sure, and the swimming and racewalking help too, but I still couldn't swim 25 meters underwater. I just have a limit I can't cross, I guess.

o

Bill,
Thanks for your concern. I've been living with this for about 15 years. It has been worse over the last 5 years. I've been going to Yoga the last few Sunday's and that seems to be helping. I practiced KungFu for many years and while I loved it, my back would really hurt when I got home. I try and stretch a lot and that helps a little. Being on the computer makes it worse but I'm so addicted!!!
I am a flight attendant and the job is the worst thing for a bad back, I think that's what caused it in the first place. In three years I can "retire" and start a new career that is more "back friendly".
Donna

o

Donna, what kind of shoes do you all have to wear? If I were still wearing high heels I'd be crippled in the lower back and knees by this point. Are you allowed to wear even, say, Cole-Haan with the Nike air in the soles or do they tell you exactly what shoes are allowed? (Cole-Haans are too narrow for me, but if you fit them I am told they're really comfortable)

o

Well Bill, consider this thread temporarily hijacked as we attept to give Donna all kinds of back pain advice. Sorry!

Donna, yeah, the stand-up job and constant bending must be it, I would guess. My 14-year-old has been going to pt for her chronic head/neck aches and FINALLY something has started working. This therapist does a lot of massage and stretching, which I know you are doing. She recently showed her how to make a traction device out of a rope and towel to place on the doorknob. She is to lie down on the floor and get her head situated in the towel, and just keeping the rope taught provides enough pull. But maybe your pain is in your lower back?

o

flyleft,
I never wear heals. I usually wear some type of comfort shoe. I also had orthotics made and just started wearing them.
sjerin,
My pain is close to the kidneys. Sorry to hijack your post Bill. I appreciate all of you trying to help me. I have had back pain for many years and have tried just about everything except medication. I also have very bad TMJ and just this past year I went for weekly treatments. (that's another long story). The TMJ got worse from the treatments and now I have both back pain and jaw pain. Bill, I know you said the hypnosis didn't work for your smoking but I read that back pain is easier to help with hypnosis. When I am relaxed the pain is a lot less pronounced.
Don't worry about me, so many other people on this forum have a lot worse health issues than me.
thanks for the concern,
Donna

o

consider this thread temporarily hijacked as we attept to give Donna all kinds of back pain advice. Sorry!

Not a problem. I'd consider that a little more important. :-)

o

Donna,
pain is pain and no one deserves to endure it if they don't have to, so let us all try to help you. I have had chronic back issues my whole life. Thinner is better. Regular stretching, like yoga, pilates will help if done correctly. Swimming always helps me. Do you have one of those funny looking posture chairs for the computer- the ones with no back?

o

jillie,
Thanks for the reply. I've just tried so many things that I've given up. I am at my correct weight so that's not an issue. I've done Yoga, which helped a little but not enough. Being on the computer is the worst thing for my back. Since finding GW I am addicted. (I use a lap top but my pain was there before the computer). Has anyone out there tried Rolfing? that's the only thing I haven't tried.
Donna

o

Yer not gonna believe this, but I just finished a job for a company by that name!! LMAO

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Isn't that the super-deep massage that's VERY strong? I'd be pretty careful, especially if you're a small person.

o

I had a doctor from China give me a massage that hurt so much I couldn't breath. I went to him for 10 weeks. It didn't help. If Rolfing would help I would endure the pain. I've been getting an acupunture face lift once a week for 8 weeks and that hurts too. I'm a pro when it comes to pain.
Donna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here