Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie_zz

When did this board change?

annie.zz
14 years ago

In searching for things, I've come across lots of old threads that are not about kitchens. It's clear that at one point at least, this board was really a place full of friends who shared their lives, not just their kitchen renovations. I'm curious, when did that change, and why? Was it a gradual shift? A change in forum rules? What happened?

Comments (33)

• rhome410
    14 years ago

Sometimes when you do a search, you also get threads from the 'conversations' section of the forum, which is the place for off-topic chats, while the 'discussions' side is for kitchens only, and the 'gallery' section is for showing off photos. Obviously, the discussions section is the main part and the most often read, so both some off-topic discussions and photo sharing sometimes sneak in here, too. Sometimes when an off-topic discussion gets going, the 'powers that be' move it to 'conversations.'

These other choices (conversations and gallery) are right above the postings on the front page of the forum. :-)

• rosie
    14 years ago

As Rhome says. I've been here virtually since its inception, and a strength and virtue of this outstandingly successful and valuable board is that it is wide open to all comers. The sort of board you describe by nature has to belong to a group of insiders who, one hopes graciously but too often reluctantly, field the visits of others. Here, This one's, quite simply, about kitchens and its endurance a monument to their importance in people's lives.

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

I typed "kitchen table" for a search on the entire site, and it had threads from various forums, if anyone has discussed this on the Buying and Selling forum, it will come up; there is also a forum called "kitchen table" , and it's daily bantering on different subjects in a very friendly manner.

If you restrict your search on this forum only, that shouldn't happen, unless you get the conversations side and they mentioned the words you searched for.

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

Rosie
    That was beautiful.
    Thanks,
    boxerpups

• monicakm_gw
    14 years ago

just out of curiosity, does anyone know how long GW's home forums been around? I've been here for over 7 years and SO appreciate how the various forums stay on topic.
    Monica

• daki
    14 years ago

I know I found this site during the kitchen remodel of my previous home's kitchen, which was in 2001, and seemed pretty established back then. I seem to remember running across it even earlier. I think I found the gardenweb portion of it back in the late 90's.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

I started out on GW's hosta forum in the mid 90s, then on one of GW's infertility forums (now defunct) around 1998 when my DDIL and DS were in the midst of that problem -- I wanted to know how I could better understand and support their struggle. In 2001 we decided to tear down the house we'd lived in for 25 years and rebuild -- and "moved into" the home forums. When we decided to move to Tennessee and build again, 2005, I came back to the home forum. What a great resource!!

• Buehl
    14 years ago

I've been told the "Conversations" side used to be more active than it is today. We tried to have a "party" over a year ago, but it didn't work out so well, at least not that night. It did extend over the weekend...

• annie.zz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks. rhome, maybe that's what happens and I'm noticing a different section.

I couldn't agree more - this board has been a wonderful resource for me and I am so grateful to the generous "veterans" here who stick around to help and encourage us neurotic newbies out! :)

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Then there's the "Kitchen Table"...

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/kitchentable/

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Conversations' vs the Kitchen Table...Where is THE place to be?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I've been told the "Conversations" side used to be more active than it is today. We tried to have a "party" over a year ago, but it didn't work out so well, at least not that night. It did extend over the weekend...

It was more than that. We did swaps with each member involved sending grab bags to their "assigned" person, with all kinds of things from your area. There were several get togethers, as well, one of them even being at Paulines' home. As for what's changed, people who come in now are more about finding the info they need, and moving on, and that's fine. Different than it used to be, but c'est la vie! :-)

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Ah, but there are still some of us who can never get enough GW, even after all this time! LOL

PS Missed you Bill!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Sorry-- I've been down in Andover, Mass. tiling a huge home down there. Wanna see an outrageous backsplash? Anybody like copper? This is one of three kitchen backsplashes in this home:

• mitchdesj
    14 years ago

wow, Bill, that's amazing !! was it more of a challenge than regular tile ?

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Actually, it was. These tiles weren't cheap by ANY stretch. There was no room for error, so everything had to be pretty precise.... first time.

• cat_mom
    14 years ago

Oh wow! Impressive work (and three of them?!?)!!!

• mcmann
    14 years ago

annie- The conversation side of the Home Decorating forum and the Kitchen Table forum are both much more active than this one. I've noticed a lot of familiar names on those two forums.

• paulines
    14 years ago

If we had enough interest, we could revive the swaps - they were really alot of fun.

Bill, beautiful work! Is there grout or something else 'tween the tiles?

• Buehl
    14 years ago

What did you swap?

• paulines
    14 years ago

Memory's fading Buehl, but I think we did items local, to your area, stuff for the first swap and maybe kitchen accessories for the 2nd?

We had around 20-25 participants each time and it was alot of fun!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Pauline-- It's grout-- Mapei Cinnimon Spice.

As for the swaps, I wasn't involved in the first one, but the second, someone from Rhode Island sent me some special batter for fried clams, as well as newberg sauce, and a bunch of other things having to do with seafood. The person I got (out in Colorado), ended up with a granite compass rose hotplate I made, as well as some Maine maple syrup, and a few other things, including a small stuffed moose.

It was neat-- once the swaps started going out, everyone posting all the items they'd received. It made for a very close group.

• paulines
    14 years ago

Very pretty! I imagine it was difficult working with the grout w/o scratching those tiles?

OMG! Cololady and the moose, how could I forget! She was *hysterical*. Your hotplate was so cool, I think it was the highlight of the swap.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I was kinda hoping to run into you in here so I could invite you to come over and see it in person! I was staying in your town while I was down there, even though the job was in Andover. (don't ask-- my stepson's buddy, who was working with us has an aunt that lives there in your town, and offered to bring his pop-up camper down and park it in her side yard to save us some money on the hotel room. That's the LAST time I do that!)

As for scratching the tiles, it was pretty easy-- I used unsanded grout.

• paulines
    14 years ago

You're kiddin'?

Did you have a chance to check out the lake while down here? It's a small town, I bet I'm familar with your SS's buddy's aunt. Did she know she had a celebrity staying with her, lol!

Next time you're around here please call!!!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

I just might do that. The same contractor was just approved for 50 McMansions in Haverhill while we were down there. My understanding is he just broke ground on the first one, and that it should be ready for us to get in there the first of the year.

As for checking out the lake, I didn't have time. We worked from 7 till whenever it got dark while I was down there. In fact, this summer, I only went fishing one time! Believe it??? There's just something WRONG with that!

• annie.zz
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow, I just came in here and noticed this thread had morphed. I actually started this over in the forum, before I realized that there was a conversations section! (doh!) Guess it was moved in here, ha ha!

Bill, that copper is gorgeous!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Thanks. I was pretty happy with how it turned out. :-)

• lyno
    14 years ago

Bill that copper is beautiful! Is it sealed so it won't patina, or will it patina over time? Fantastic job!

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

No, I'm pretty sure it'll stay just as it is. Believe it or not, it's actually a copper coated epoxy plastic tile.

• bostonantique
    14 years ago

hi! I am working on my kitchen plans and having trouble searching this site. Could someone help guide me?

1. I wanted to search some of my countertop choices - ie calacutta marble, soapstone, costa esmerelda granite - and when I put those in the search field, I get a list of totally unrelated things!
    2. I also wanted to find the section of the website that you call 'Finished kitchen pictures' ...how do I get there? I would like to look through pics of white cabinets to see what other countertops were used - I have read several things here that suggest how helpful that section is but I cannot find it!

Thanks for your help!
    And if I can figure out how to put pics online, I will post some pics of my kitchen/mudroom/pantry redo! :)

• arlocat
    14 years ago

Boston, I think that you are referring to teh "Finished Kitchen Blog". This link should work.
    http://finishedkitchens.blogspot.com/

• Buehl
    14 years ago

Additionally, BostonAntique, you should post Kitchen remodel questions on the "Discussions" side where kitchen remodel topic are discussed...this is the "Conversations" side where off-topic things are discussed.

I also recommend you read the "Read Me" thread on the Discussions side; it has a lot of helpful information both for using the Kitchens Forum and for remodeling your kitchen.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• joydee12
    14 years ago

I remember when the Kitchen forum was just 5-6 pages of postings! I've been here off & on for years. Bill, you were the one that told me to stop washing my new porcelin tile floor with vinegar water because it could 'eat' the grout. Since then, it's been water only. Loved your copper tile job.