Return to the Kitchens Forum

o
Get Fit Part 10 (??)

Posted by Pirula (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 7, 05 at 18:24

I think it's Part Ten. Anyway....

Where IS everybody?? I have big news!!

No idea what I'm weighing, and clothes aren't getting any looser nowadays with all the food and wine everywhere. BUT I am working out and not only that, but I have actually started RUNNING!!!

I can hardly believe it, I never thought I would do it. Mind you, at this point, I am only running about 4 miles an hour for half an hour, so it's rather slow. But it's GREAT!! And it's a good workout. I feel like I may really start losing lots of weight now if I can keep this up. I know a girl who was doing well enough, till she started running, then the weight just melted off. Anyway, I am excited about just being able to DO it!!! :)

So, still lifting with my little ten pound dumbells. It will keep me going till I can get back to the gym in October. It's not too bad.

Lori: How on earth do you put that much weight on your shoulders to do those squats????????? I'm SO impressed!!

How's everyone doing?

Ivette

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Get Fit Part 10 (??)

That's great Ivette! I am quite impressed. Running is one thing I've never managed to do (among other things it makes me itch like crazy) but I also know people who had that pounds melting off result from running...

My weight loss has been stalled since whenever I last reported a loss (maybe 2 weeks ago?). Finding it annoying as I was exercising (though i haven't worked out this week). Need to get back on track, but I'm a huge tennis fan and the US open sucks me in every night when I get home! Hoping the gym near my office will start to show it on their tvs and that I can multi-task by working out and watching there. If not, I'll just get back on course next week.

o

Glad to hear you're running Ivette. You can have my track space - permanently. I can't see me or my knees ever doing that but I sure give you credit for gumption.

I haven't done anything lately except enjoy a vacation. Didn't eat too much but didn't move too much either. With a little care, I can hold my weight and size steady but I haven't been willing to put any effort into doing more. I will! I will! honest.

o

Well I'm hoping to get back to the gym, but in the meantime, we're back kayaking. Yeah! Probably about 6-8 miles the last few times (getting out every weekend now), but the goal is by next summer to kayak across to Catalina Island (about 22 miles). And now that Zeke's back in school, we're walking to/from school both in the morning and afternoon. Not too far, but it's up and down the steepest hills around (they even have those steep grade signs). Hopefully by the end of the month, we'll actually be able to carry on a conversation without all the huffing and puffing.

Ivette, I'm impressed about the running. I've started and stopped many times. If you have any secrets to staying with it let me know.

So have any of you thought about doing that Team in Training where you get professional training to run a marathon or do a triathalon and in return, raise money for the leukemia society? I have three friends that have done it and all raised lots of $$$ and got in AMAZING shape.

o

Thanks everyone! I still can't believe it myself. I don't know what got into me to even attempt it. There I was doing sprint intervals one day and I was BORED. So I thought, hey, let me just try this. I thought I would die for the first couple of minutes, but then suddenly it was totally doable. I couldn't believe it when I did 20 minutes the first try!! By the next time I was up to 30 minutes. I can't explain it. So far the previously sore knee is fine. I mean, I feel it when I run, but it doesn't really hurt or anything. It must be doing good things for me, because my legs and butt are sore (always a good sign, no?).

So, I'll never be a marathoner or anything, puhleese. But this is enjoyable for now, and hopefully effective.

A couple of friends have done the running for a cause thing. I myself always walk the Race for the Cure. And I've sponsored a gazillion times. Not sure I could ever, EVER actually run one of those babies though.

Best,
Ivette

o

YooHoo!

It seems like months since I've talked to you guys. Today is the 12th, so I'm here to nag.

Ivette, that's awesome that you're running! I'm so jealous, wish I could do it. Team in Training is an awesome program and Bob and his brother have both coached for them (his brother still does for the RI chapter). It's so, so cool to see people who have never run a step in their lives, then three, four months later, they're running a marathon - and finishing it. It's a great cause and meeting the kids that you sponsor is enough in itself to motivate one to finish the marathon.

This weekend, we went to a 5k (3.1 miles) that my 13 year old ran in. Ivette, you should think about making something like this a goal for yourself. You've made great "strides" already, I bet you could do it easily. There's races every weekend close to wherever you are and it's a great way to get some exercise in (check out Coolrunning.com). There were over 7,000 runners in Sunday's race. Alot of times I go to them and walk them. We go to one every three weeks or so, and they're a blast. I don't run and quite frankly, I s*ck at it, but I know I've mentioned here before, Bob was ranked one of the top runners in the world at one time, so he's full of tips if you need any.

I want to know more about kayaking. It's all the rage lately and I feel like a slug for not doing it. I love a good shoulder workout and I bet this would be great.

So, here it is, September 12. We all said we were going to get back on track this week. My workouts have been the best ever and I've lifted weights that I never thought I could. However, I've eaten more cookies than I ever thought I could and it has to stop!!! It's like I don't even care and I'm out of control.

So, I'll torment everybody to get back in the gym. Can somebody get my diet back on track, please????

o

Only after someone gets MINE back on track! I forgot I'd signed on to do a first day lunch for someone; I was good with the entree (scallops) and a garden salad, but oh the hashbrown side dish (and calling them hashbrowns hardly does them justice; tasted like there was sour cream, butter, onions and bacon in them) was too hard to resist. I wouldn't have ordered them for myself, but it is a seafood restaurant where you order side dishes for the table, and the only other side the group chose was asparagus which i just don't like. Had grand plans of working out today but for some reason my back is KILLING me. Hopefully I'll get back on track tomorrow; I will definitely go with a very light dinner (maybe cereal or broccoli slaw) to offset the lunch...

To make matters worse, I think I've regained the 1.2 pounds I'd lost a couple weeks ago.

o

Lori316---
Kayaking is a wonderful sport. When you do it right, it's really a good all-over workout for toning. Because you brace yourself in the cockpit, thighs get a work-out. With the twisting motion, your side abdomen muscles are used. And all the upper body muscles get a good low-weight, high-rep kind of work out. For me, I'd rather kayak than any other sport.

o

Hi guys! Well, just as you all are getting back INTO the gym, I will be having to step out for a couple of weeks. We leave for Florida tomorrow and my exercise for the week before our week in DisneyWorld will be my Dad's pool and pilates DVD's (if I can find the time for them). I'm not too worried because I have been awfully good about working out during my time here in Iowa (not as good about eating and drinking but DARNIT!! I'm on vacation!!!).

Lori and all: thanks for the encouragement on the running. I'm getting a little faster and running a little further. I did 4.5 miles per hour the other night for 30 minutes, but man I was pooped. But my sprint intervals are now up to 6.5 miles per hour for 30 seconds, so I'm psyched! It will be awhile before I can run three miles, but I may just make that a goal. Why not?

Went shopping again yesterday and did a little better. Got into a size 10 at J. Jill and zipped it right up, no problem. But my legs looked like sausages so no go. But progress is progress. Am officially a petite again in tops (no shoulders remember) despite the boobs that won't die. Tried on and fit perfectly into a size 8 top at J. Crew. The pants on the other hand were horrendous, both the 10 and the 12 were absolute jokes for opposite reasons. Talk about being "between sizes." Anyway, got a few tshirts at J. Crew and a top and a pair of pants at J. Jill. Still just weekend stuff, no work clothes yet. But I have more time for that. Definitely went better than the first shopping excursion three weeks ago. So now I have this tiny top, still big arms, and humungo legs. And people wonder why I still insist on wearing my baggy clothes.

Here's a question: why do baggy clothes make you look fatter? Apparently they do me anyway. My sister in law went into the dressing room with me and when I came out in those 10's she said she had no idea how much weight I had lost, that those baggy pants made me look so big. Huh? Here I was thinking it was just the opposite.

Can't wait to hear what my Dad thinks tomorrow.

Keep it up everyone! I'll keep checking in as I can. My Dad's pool is smallish so I'll have to do like 100 laps! ha ha!

o

HA! I made it...a full day with no cheats. (well, I had one of those little bite-sized licorice pieces, but we're ignoring that. Dontchya love black licorice?)

I've been staying off the scale for about 3 weeks now because I know I've been so bad, but this a.m., I was down 2 lbs from the last time I weighed myself. Probably lost it all yesterday being good diet-wise! LOL

Ivette, it will be NEVER before I can run 3 miles. Nice how I suggest these goals for you from the comfort of my lounge chair, huh? I know you can do it, though.

Probably part of my problem. I haven't had any specific immediate goals set recently, so my semi-short term goal is to lose 7 lbs and be able to bench press a certain weight by November 23 - ten weeks from today and the day before Thanksgiving.

Baggy clothes don't show curves. Too-tight clothes show bulges. Pleats are supposed to make you look slimmer, as are vertical stripes. Personally, I don't think pleats do a thing for me except make me look like I'm ready to start maternity leave any minute. Of course, black (any dark color) is always slimming, and I think wearing the same color top & bottom is slimming.

If you still have a lot of weight you want to lose, I honestly wouldn't spend too much on work clothes. Try to find good mix-and-match sets so you're not spending a ton of money and wearing an outfit only twice before it's too big.

Have a safe & FUN trip. Say hi to Mickey for me and tell them if they need another princess down there, my daughter is ready to sign up.

Funny thing, I put the tv on very early this morning and there was a Jack Lalanne infomercial on ESPN Classics. It was selling his old videos they redid and are now in DVD format. They were showing parts of them, and I'm tellin' ya, this guy knows his stuff. He's in his 90's now and the videos were from probably 40 years ago and I bet most people couldn't keep up with him. I doubt I could. I'm seriously thinking of ordering one. Okay, so I'm weird!

o

Glad to hear that people are starting to gear up again. Ivette, J. Crew pants run weird, IMHO, so don't feel bad about the 12 not fitting.

I am just about recuperated from the wedding. I slept little and ran around so much getting everything done that I probably had a better workout than if I had been at the gym. My legs were so tired and sore at the end of the day that I literally dropped into bed. We spent Sunday taking down the wedding. What took weeks to put up came down in about 6 hours. I will post some pictures when I get a chance. My computer is off to the computer doc today so I don't want to download my pics until I know if it can be cured or is terminal. Today is the first day that I have any energy to do anything!

o

Glad to hear your shopping went well Ivette! And congrats on the 2 pound loss Lori!

Sue--were you getting married, or was it a relative? that sounds exhausting!

Glad to report that (though my back has still been bothering me too much to work out) as of this morning I've lost the pound I'd regained, and another pound on top of that; so I've lost just about 6 total. Goal is to lose 5 more by 10/19, which is when I'm going on vacation.

o

Just checking in, and everyone's doing so well!

Lots of kitchen action here, & since DH is still out of the country I'm into all kinds of domestic trouble. Ransacking, I mean re-organizing every room. Refinishing floors in half the house (the last sanding for these 1914 quartersawn oak beauties) which means moving half the house into the other half of the house & checking into a hotel with DD and a couple cats. Aaaaaagh!!! Who bought all this furniture that doesn't fit through interior doors??!!

Lori, does carrying boxes of books up and down stairs count as "lifting?"

Stress level is high, esp since 21 yr old cat suddenly has health issues. I'm sure she'll enjoy her hotel stay on top of her recent escapades at the vet's. NOT!

Starting to think putting in a new fence before hubby returns is pushing it....

No cardio here, just erratic eating and annoying hunger pains indicating we need a kitchen fast before I mess up my metabolism. Daughter claims she no longer recognizes "fruit" as a food group.

Ivette, congratulations on the running! Once upon a time I was up to 6 miles/day when I realized I wasn't really enjoying the run, and it was a sad realization. Kept waiting for the "high" but it never came. I envy runners (esp marathoners), have always had friends who run and love it. There is a woman who has been running past my house longer than I've been here, at least 20 years. She looks fabulous and I'm sure she feels fabulous. One of the great things about running is you can do it almost anywhere, once you're actually running. I'll be interested to hear your progress, if it's something you'll continue even back "home."

Lori, you're right on about the fit of clothes.

Robin, congratulation on your hard-won shrinkage!

Sue, glad to hear you're recovering from the festivities. Hope to hear next about your comeback at the gym. (Mine too!)

Back to box-ing and stair-mastering, my temporary home gym routine. Wednesday morning we move out, ready or not. Shhh! DH must not know.....

o

Still alive, but barely. Moved furniture and boxes of boxes until 2:30am, "napped," then got up & kept going... No gym for me today.

Now thinking that with all these rooms empty it's an ideal time to paint....

And maybe I should replace these curtains instead of cleaning them.....

How do you know your house is "done" or is this a way of life??? Or do you just run out of money and/or time?

Tomorrow I should make it to the gym as I will be outa here! So Lori, does all this lifting count for anything or do I resume weights as usual? I'm assuming if I'm tired (haha) I should just do some cardio & catch a shower.

o

Yoo hoo! Everyone at the gym? Shopping for new clothes in tiny sizes? Or just swamped at work and in life?

All is well here, machines going in every room, new floors emerging, cats hiding, I'm in and out in an exhausted daze.

o

Just dropped my company from England at the airport this a.m. They were here for DD's wedding, did a little traveling, and then spent a week with us. Life will now return to normal. Monday I *WILL* go back to the gym. My neighbor wants to start walking in the mornings, too. So I plan on walking and then heading out to do weights. Have a great weekend everyone!

o

just busy with other things. Had lots of indulgences last week and only 2 days of exercise. Fortunately I haven't gained any weight as a result. Back on the wagon this week though.

o

Guess life is just keeping everyone busy.

Sue, I hope to see you at the gym! Hope I make it tomorrow, didn't today.

o

Just got back from a much-needed vacation. Oh boy, was I ever bad! But I totally, thoroughly enjoyed myself. Oh well, I'm over it...or at least I will be...eventually....I hope...maybe.

Pretty swamped at work (trying to settle in at a new job ~ just got transfered), and life in general is way too hectic. But I keep playing that lottery....

I was working out very hard and doing well. The headaches I was having ~ chiropractor fixed them 90%, then on Monday, I lifted heavy and screwed up my neck again, so I'm even worse off and haven't been to the gym since. I go to the chiropractor today and I will follow his instructions to a "T" this time. Honest, I'll be good. Hurts too much not to.

Athome, I seldom use any physical work as a reason to skip a workout. I just switch it around. Say I stacked wood today, I make sure I don't do a back workout on the same day and work another body part. (Stacking wood is my favorite chore around the house and I usually don't let anybody help. Great exercise.

But if you're tired from working around the house, don't overdo it. Given the choice, personally I'd do weights over cardio. I think it depends on your goals. But if you have more than 15-20 lbs or so to lose, maybe do the cardio if you have to choose just one.

I'm sad to see this thread going kinda slow. Everybody ok? I need some motivation if I'm going to accomplish what I want by Thanksgiving. Helllllp!

o

Wow! I've been walking with my neighbor and I can't believe how quickly I lost everything I worked so hard for at the gym. No stamina, my butt and thighs are sore, I have no definition at all! Waaaa!! I am heading out to the gym as soon as I get the kitchen tidied up, this will be only my second trip this week. Athome and Robin, will I see you there?

Ivette? Hello? Are you still on vacation?

Lori, take care of yourself and those headaches! What is your goal for Thanksgiving?

It's been awhile since we all posted goals. So I'm going to go ahead and post mine for the next two months:
Weight loss--lose 5 pounds by Thanksgiving
Exercise--do at least 30 minutes of exercise each day, not counting working around the house
Nutrition--Get my 5 a day fruits and veggies in every day and start trying to quell my sweet tooth with fruits not junk.

Anyone else?

o

I do water aerobics about 4 times per week, and also try to walk at least 6 days either at the indoor track in the gym or the park. Lost 7 pounds in two weeks without doing anything different. I'm enjoying it but probably should check out the reason. I'm so small to begin with that I don't want to look anorexic.

o

Hey, Sue! How's retirement going? I hope you're getting everything done you had planned.

So yesterday the doctor said no lifting anything above my head. Other than that limitation, I can go to the gym and do whatever I feel comfortable doing. So I took today off. Maybe I'll go tonight but probably not. I want this better.

Yesterday my car died, so instead of calling AAA, I decided to walk the 3.4 miles home and just left it there. 60,276 miles and I need a new transmission. Yep, you guessed it, the warranty was up to 60,000 miles. Good thing we took it over the weekend and put 800 miles on it, huh?

Anyway, that was the extent of my workout for the day. I have increased my calories quite a bit, but good calories (most of the time). I feel better and have lost two pounds since 9/14, hopefully not all muscle. I don't look as toned but I think I look more muscular, if that makes sense. Either way, I'm ok with it for now and am a lot less strict with myself lately. Probably because of the injury.

Mariposa, nice to hear from you. Water exercises are great. And anytime you can get out and get some fresh air, a walk in the park is perfect! The weather will be changing quickly here in the next few weeks, so if it's the same where you are, take advantage now!

Ivette, you still playing with Mickey and friends?

Sue, my original goal was to lose 7 lbs by Thanksgiving, but I'm now down to 5 lbs to go. So we have the same goal. I'll nag you if you nag me. Deal? ;)

The other goal was to lift a specific weight by Thanksgiving and I've already accomplished that, so I'm happy with that. I so need goals.

o

Wow, you are all doing so well! I rarely post to this thread but just an update...was doing great back in the spring. Had lost 10 pounds but have been having problems with my diabetes (my Dad is a type I and I was dx'ed gestational with both pregnancies) for the past year my oral meds have not been working as well and have been switched to this and that with no success and with awful side effects so was finally switched to insulin injections (about 4-5 a day) in May and have gained back my hard fought 10 lbs. =(

Since being switched my blood sugars and glycohemoglobin are much better and I've stopped gaining weight and with the boys back in school, I'm walking regularly and am watching my diet.

OMG...mailman was just here and we received DH's 25 year reunion announcement for August of 2006!!! This must be a call to arms for me to get off my butt and lose 20 pounds in 10 months. Can I do it? We'll I've done it before and I just need to find a way to do it again.

V

o

There are three women in my water aerobics class that are trying desperately to lose weight before their reunion. It's a great incentive, plus the health benefits are worth it.

They told me I'm pre-diabetic so I'm trying to move as much as I can to keep from being full blown diabetes. Both maternal and paternal grandparents were diabetics, plus my father and his side of the family so it's scary.

Lori, I definitely need to add weights to my exercise. What do you recommend for beginners?

o

Lori, not to worry, I would never skip the gym because of physical labor at home -- after all, there is physical labor at home on a daily basis but it does nothing for my girlish figure or my heart! I DO skip when I have a gargantuan deadline and skipping is my only hope of meeting it -- such as my recent date with a floor refinisher.

Things are settling down now. DH back from Saudi Arabia. House in quiet disarray but the end is in sight.

DD broke a toe bone and is on crutches. Podiatrist says no sports until January! She can go to the gym with me to use some weights, elliptical machines in a month, and I think she will be able to swim. She's very upset. It was a soccer injury -- she and another girl kicking the ball in a skirmish so the force was pretty bad.

Kitchen may be useable by end of next week, this will be a huge life change over here. I can no longer remember life with a kitchen and we're all looking forward to homecooked anything. Since we have not had running water anywhere near the tiny temporary fridge, the biggest treat will be having produce drawers right next to the kitchen sink. Wow!!! The weight should just fall off then, eh?!

o

Mari, go to any Dick's Sporting goods store or other type and you can find a great little set of weights that are interchangeable. I've recommended them here before, and I think Ivette uses them. You can also use resistance bands which are great for toning.

Athome, WTG on the kitchen. I'm so excited for you!!! Yes, healthy eating will definitely help your routine.

Day 5 here of no gym. Waaaaa! Will somebody please go do a shoulder workout for me? I can't take this anymore.

Going for a CT scan next week. We're looking at a possible pinched nerve in my neck. Anybody have a tissue???? :(

Here is a link that might be useful: dumbbell set

o

Lori, I should have bought one of those dumbbell sets months ago. I think it would have been great backup for my "can't get to the gym, no really I can't" days. Since winter weather may occasionally pose obstacles I will make sure I have an insurance policy of dumbbells, bands, pilates ball at home.

We have this large unmentionable store nearby and my daughter often comments on the unfortunate and unnecessary name! We can barely bring ourselves to go in, we make so much fun of it on the way.

o

I'm Baaaaaaack!!

How is everyone? Sounds like you all have kept on going. I just want to say that in the TKO get together pictures I look humungo. Must have been the angle.

Buuuut, I have not worked out for three weeks now! First the two weeks at my Dad's and Disney, and now the first few days in Virginia. There is a pretty good gym here at the hotel so am going to check it out and I can use the gym at work again too. But too tired today sinc I spent most of the day in the yard raking, deadwooding, etc. Quite a workout. I haven't been sleeping because of the stress, so I'm bushed. I hope to get my first workout in tomorrow. Will advise.

I don't think I gained any weight in these three weeks. Just too much going on and lots of walking etc. And I really tried to watch what I ate, for the most part.

So glad to be back and I need you girls to get me going again and keep me going for those last 15 pounds and two sizes.

Best,
Ivette

o

Lori--
How are you doing? Are you healing? It must be so frustrating to keep trying to move on, but it still hurts so much.

I am upping my activity level slightly, and cutting calories slightly. Just read a happy article that notes metabolism fall 2-4% each year after 40...that menopausal women on hormones will gain at least two pounds; women on no hormones will gain four pounds.

Acckkkk--I can't believe I can't even tread in place!
Pamela

o

Oh good grief!!

By le way, I saw Pamela last week and she looks simply FAB.

I, on the other hand, well let's just not go there. NO WAY I'm going to get to the gym this week either. All our stuff is coming this week, four separate days, and I have to set up house. What a mess.

But hopefully the next week I can start. Hoping, hoping.

I hope everyone else is doing better than I am.

Best,
Ivette

o

athome, that store has my current dh's name. It was pretty hard for me to call him by name early on without guffawing. He didn't think it was that funny at all, but ...even he got the humour early on when he went to sign one of his cards. Love, your X. (He said ..Well it IS yours now!!) btw, I can't use his name on a lot of photo websites. It shows up as xxxx. LOL!!)

And re the topic of this whole thread...blah. spacific DID see just how close my gym is but she also saw how cozy my office is. It's not a place you really want to leave but later this week I shall. I'm coming to the conclusion that if it doesn't happen in the morning, it's not likely to happen.

o

Maureen, I'm glad to know you have your very own, and that yours has a sense of humor.

My house and life are in more turmoil than ever, but the house turmoil is wonderful -- the kitchen is spinning toward a blissful conclusion. Not perfect, but livable. Can't wait to move all the furniture back into the now-empty rooms. We're camping out in our house, and just getting by.

I keep thinking I have time to squeeze the gym into the afternoon but there is a Bermuda triangle in my afternoon. Maureen, you may be right about the mornings. I am floundering dreadfully in the fitness dept as I prioritize the massive reorganization of our home but I don't think I need to be floundering.

Hope I'm right about all these new colors flying up on my walls.....

o

Welcome back, Ivette!

Pamela, I'm doing so-so. I went to the gym Saturday, Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday. I wanted to go again today but I dropped the kids off at school, came home and crashed. I didn't get out of bed until almost 11:00 (on vacation). Amazing what an empty house can do for me as far as getting a good sleep in. Aaaah...it felt good.

Diet has been not so good, but I've really upped my cardio. Not much else I can do. Test results say I don't have a pinched nerve, so that's good. I have 2-3 really good days, then a pretty bad one. The exciting news is that I'm going for a massage tomorrow morning!!! I can't wait. Should help.

When I start getting better, I push too hard. I'm counting on everybody here to remind me not to. No more trying to lift too heavy for me. It's not worth it. Silly, actually. I'm finally coming to my senses.

Athome, congratulations on being able to see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm so happy for you. When your house is upside down, it just affects everything, doesn't it? I know it does with me. Looking forward to seeing all your pics!

o

Hey all,
Even though I rarely post here, I always check in.
(Yes Maureen, I DO know how close your gym is.... And I know how close the really good pizza place is too!)

Lori, I finally went out and bought the "Body Sculpting Bible for Women" per your suggestion. I do like how it's laid out. The exercises are very straightforward. I've started doing the motions just to reacquaint myself so I don't look like a complete idiot at the gym. I also like how they address plateaus and mix things up so your body doesn't get too used to things. But as long as the weather stays good, I'd rather be out in the garden or on the water instead of at the gym. But winter's coming (the rainy season), so it will soon be time to head indoors. I've also come to the inevitable conclusion that just staying active doesn't stop gravity. So I'm hoping some of those targeted exercises can help with those loose floppy bits that seem harder and harder to get rid of.

o

You know I need to dust off my body sculpting bible and get inspired again, especially the "mix it up" business. That's huge. Not that I have any loose floppy bits myself, oh no!, I just want to show support for spacific and the rest of you fitness fillies. Right now I'm taking my bits back out in the garden to move my perennial back borders.

o

Just checking in to report that my DD has decided to join me at the gym for a while as she recuperates from her foot injury. She charted everything she did (with a clipboard!) and made me do my stretches (correctly without cheating!) so yes indeedy, a good day at the gym. This evening I have even more lifting ahead as we will play musical furniture in prep for another day and week of renovation fun. Can't wait til this house has a status quo again.

o

Another week without the gym! I just can't seem to get motivated to go there. I have been walking every morning with my neighbor. My DD moves to Portland, OR next week, so I think I will go to the gym more often just to keep myself busy and not depressed. We all know what happens when you're depressed...eat, eat, eat.

o

Ugh, another week here too!!! It's just been insane with getting the basement settled into a home, finishing demo, and getting DH to his shoulder surgery AND then nursing him back to health. He was utterly helpless for a few days. Poor baby. He's feeling much better now, but still in some pain, and he can't work on the house for at least a month!

Sooooooo, perhaps this coming week I'll finally get to the gym. I haven't even had time to check in on the forums very much. I hope that changes soon.

Ivette

P.S. I need to get myself this body sculpting bible. Is that the actual title??

o

My DD is helping me get to the gym. In fact, she asked me if we could go straight over today when I pick her up from school. Have to admit her foot injury is inspirational to me!

I'm lumbering into the gym pretty often but I don't feel as good as I did before my slump. Slow & steady, at least I'm moving forward.

Ivette, I've missed you! I miss everyone!

Here is a link that might be useful: body sculpting bible

o

MsAzadi
Back to the name thing - I have a friend that unfortunately married into that name as a last name. (You can imagine what her kids suffered growing up). She and her husband were going thru an open house one Sunday afternoon, introduced themselves to the realtor as Jim and Linda ****. They toured the house, waved good bye to the realtor as they were leaving as she was tied up with another couple. She glanced their way, waved back, and said bye bye, thanks for coming Mr. & Mrs. Peters. . .

o

Ivette, the book is good, but basically any book that illustrates how to do the exercises is a good place to start. The Body Sculpting Bible just happens to be my favorite and I always recommend it to any women who I train or are interested in learning more about lifting weights.

I posted a website awhile back that had illustrations on how to do the exercises when I was trying to describe
skull crushers. That's a good site for demonstrations. (see below)

Gym workouts are slow and steady. I'm feeling much better but still going easy. I do much more cardio than I'm used to, and even that, it's usually just walking on the track at the gym. It gives me a good chance to gossip. LOL Skipping the gym this morning because we have Wilma to deal with up here. Maybe I'll just head down to the basement and swim a few laps....

I'm glad everybody is making a new attempt to get motivated again. Thanksgiving is coming and I know a few people had set goals for that date. Keep it up. As we all know, the next few months will be difficult to be health conscious, with all those temptations coming up with the holidays.

Sue, how are you making out? You must so miss your daughter. Ivette, how's DH feeling?

Here is a link that might be useful: exercise demos

o

"Maybe I'll just head down to the basement and swim a few laps..."
Lori, glad to know you still have sense of humor about it! I think humor is a key ingredient for good health.

To the gym after school, thanks to DD! No water in basement to tempt me.....

o

What does it mean when we are silent?

For me it means busy, stressed, sheepish about my lack of previous energy. My gym visits are erratic. I eat lots of vegies, fish, then something no one wants to read about!

I think my dragged out kitchen is taking a toll.

Tonight I'm mother hen at a teen Halloween party, snuck into the forum after cleaning my partial kitchen. Couldn't take the helium voices! Those kids have so much energy, every one. If only stress burned up calories, I'd be losing all night tonight.

The cats and I are hiding. DH has disappeared. Someone's gotta be brave. I'm going back in!!

o

Hi guys!!

Thanks for asking! DH is MUCH better. He's in physical therapy now and while his shoulder is still hurting from time to time (particularly on phy ther days) it hurts less than before the surgery and is getting better everyday.

Still no gym! Man oh man. I start back to work on Wednesday, so I suspect I will start back to the gym either this week, or next at the latest. I don't think I've gained any weight though, the smaller clothes still fit fine. Just need to get back into it so I can keep plugging.

Best,
Ivette

o

Ivette, glad the smaller clothes still fit! Pretty impressive.

My kitchen is a busy place these days, can't wait to get my life back. The light at the end of the tunnel is getting bigger. I think the gym is there.....

o

Ivette, thinking of you on your first day back to work! I hope it's going well.

I'm chugging along. Not gaining, not losing. My appetite has gone monster and I can't eat enough. Strange because I'm really not pushing that hard, although I'm walking more than I ever did (not alot, trust me).

23 days left until Thanksgiving.

o

OMG you guys. One of my closest friends ran in the Marine Corps Marathon this weekend. It was her first ever marathon and she FINISHED!! She didn't just finish, she ran the entire thing in 4:45:41!! I am so proud of her I can't stand it.

AND, she's not like Ms. Super runner or even Ms. Fitness or anything. Sure she's thin and lovely and in good shape, but she's hardly an athelete. At least till she did THIS!!

She has SO inspired me I cannot tell you. As soon as I start back at the gym I'm going to continue with the running and see how I do. I'm a total joke now with my whopping two miles MAX. But I'm setting a goal to run the 5K Race for the Cure in June and who knows??? Maybe one day I'll run a Marathon??! I mean, if Heidi can do it, I think the chances are good that I can too!

YEEEESH! I am SO PROUD OF HER!!!

Had to share,
Ivette

o

Wow, Ivette! Congrats to your pal, and to you on your new goal.

I'm thinking of you, Lori, chugging along. It's hard to chug along between two points and I admire you for keeping up the effort. I need to be where you are, and I will be again. We don't celebrate enough what it takes to keep a steady pace.

Right now I'm challenged in many parts of my life, and the remodel is a big part of it. Can't wait to for a new burst.

At least I'm able to cook in my almost-kitchen. I'm making lots of healthy soups, lots of vegies. It's such a luxury to do so, even if my time is limited in the evenings.

o

I'm back in the gym!!!!!

Who's with me?

Ivette

o

Well...not me :(

Are you sitting down?

I can't believe I'm even saying this, but I let my gym membership run out. The gym was such a big part of my life and now I don't even belong. I haven't been in forever.

My neck/head are so bad that it hurts to lift a gallon of milk. I have another appointment for a second opinion, but that's not for a few more weeks yet.

I'm so sick of being in pain, I promised myself I would completely heal before I start again.

Very depressed.

Very happy for those who are still plugging away, though. I'm cheering for you. Keep up the good work.

o

Oh Lori! This must be agonizing for you! I hope you heal quickly and get back. I haven't been in ages. And I feel like I am ready to be a float in the Macy's T-Day parade. Just how bloated do think a person can get before they pop?I haven't actually quit the gym but I might. DH retires in January. He said he will try going with me--to replace his daily treadmill workout at his office. If we don't get it together we will quit. I have been walking with two neighbors every weekday morning. I might start on the weekends, too. But I kind of like having two days with no AM obligations.

Ivette and Athome, glad you two are still working out. And Athome, isn't it the greatest thing to have a kitchen again? Even if it isn't totally finished.

o

Oh MAN!! ((((LORI)))))!!! I'm so sorry you don't feel well, it must really be driving you crazy. You're absolutely right to want to heal first and I hope you do soon.

I actually had an epiphany in the gym the other day, that I think may help those of you that are on a kind of hiatus. I was on the elliptical and I just felt like getting off after 20 minutes. I dunno, just was NOT in the mood, you know? I said to myself "no no no! You HAVE to go for 40!!" And then I thought "um, WHY?? There is not DEADLINE here, it's not like I'm trying to lose weight by a certain date. This is for LIFE. I will be going to the gym forever if I'm smart, not just to lose weight. Be happy you worked out for 20 minutes today and just go on with the rest of your day." Did my weights and went to the office. Very liberating I must tell you, and I felt really good about accepting the reality that this is not a short term thing, it's for good.

So Lori and Sue and everyone. Just because you can't or don't go right now, that doesn't mean anything.

Ivette

o

Lori, I'm stunned. I don't understand. Are you walking or doing a little something? What can you do? Why do you have to wait so long to see someone? I'm so confused.

I'm not a regular at the gym at the moment because I'm storming my renovation project which has gone past the kitchen. I refuse to let my gym membership lapse though my attendance is irregular and my DH kids my all-women's gym is discriminatory (to which I say so was pregnancy, labor, and all manner of child-related weight gain and mommy-tracking but "whatever" as the kids say!).

It is fabulous to almost have a kitchen again. Running water alone is an unappreciated luxury.

And so is good health. Lori, can you elaborate or is that too painful right now? Is there a lot of stress involved? Thinking of you and sending good thoughts.

o

Sure, I can elaborate.

I'm stupid. Simple. That's it.

I had this thing in my head that I had to bench press my weight by Thanksgiving.

Well...let me back up. For those who don't know (for those who do and are sick of hearing it, just skip this part), I've had a goal to compete in a fitness competition when I'm 40 (18 months from now). I wasn't planning on doing it on a national level, it's too late in life for that, but just in my local area.

Anywayyyyyyy....I really needed to do some serious work to get in shape for it. So I was pushing hard. I started training with my best friend who I asked to push me. So he did. Well, I eventually bench pressed my weight and then some. Then I started getting greedy to see just what I could do. Eventually I got up to 125 lbs. One day I just felt a little sore in my neck after and stopped.

In the meantime, Bob and I have been working hard to finish up around the house before the holidays. We were working on a light fixture, I was holding it above my head while he was doing the wiring, etc. After holding it up and looking up for quite awhile, I was in alot of pain. And it's gotten worse since then.

I dont' know if it was the lifting or the looking up that hurt me. Doctor thinks it was putting up the light.

I was walking a little and that was pain free. Everything else hurt when I did it. A friend recommended another doctor who's supposed to be great, but I can't get in until the 17th. I need another CT scan or an MRI. I'm worried I have a pinched nerve.

Athome, I didn't think it was stress because I just got transfered at work to a real cream puff assignment and I'm loving it. My work load is so much lighter and I love the people there. But during all of this, I thought maybe a massage therapist could help me with my neck. I had one (and it DID help, but he went and had a heart attack, so I'm looking for somebody else). The massage therapist said my shoulders were the tightest of any female he's ever worked on. I've been working hard to relax and have a carefree attitude, but we all know how life sometimes just keeps you on your toes. I'm sure a weekly massage wouldn't hurt things! :)

So I made myself a promise that I would rest, heal, and not go to the gym before Thanksgiving, no matter how I feel. In the meantime, I have an appointment with the chiropractor on Monday.

Sue, and everybody else, try to find some time in your day to get to the gym, even for a half hour. Or continue the walking. We know that when we exercise we have more energy. This is such a great gang, I hope everybody is sticking with it. I'll be checking in to nag everybody to make sure you're staying on top of things and to give some updates.

This is killing me, but maybe with my extra time, I can just torment all of you to get back into it! :)

All your well wishes made me feel so good. They really did. Thank you all for your concern. The holidays are tough for me because it's my late mom's birthday coming up, and also the one year anniversary of when my dad passed away, so I like to keep busy this time of year. Exercise was a good outlet.

o

Wow, Lori, I didn't know all this. So sorry. And especially now at a difficult time of year.

I hope you find a way out of this pain and back to normal life.

I think it would be great if you nagged some of us out to the gym ..... while we can still get our ample bottoms out there.

So many things pile up in life, and once they start to pile up I find it hard to get out from under. If only I could see the pile starting. It's like the weight. You notice once you're overwhelmed.

o

Hi Lori. I can understand how frustrating it is to have an injury that prevents you from doing something that is such a large part of who you are!

Anyhooo....the other day I was watching a TV program (Balance Television), and the host, Dr Marla Shapiro, was interviewing two young people who were experiencing chronic pain as the result of sports injuries. They both benefitted very quickly from low intensity laser therapy. I've had lower back/hip pain myself for several years, and have had no relief from chiropractic or Active Release treatments. I'm thinking of giving this laser therapy a try.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low Intensity Laser Therapy

o

Lori, dear--
Just got home from a weeks' vacation and read your posts. It hit me that you have a neck injury...I had one too, from a whiplash incident in Germany several years ago. I bounced back from it, and then 6 mos. later, carried a lot of heavy furniture and had a huge relapse with vertigo and everything. I have been very careful for the last two years, and I am much better and almost never have vertigo attacks. BUT--I know which movements to avoid (like bending my neck, as in looking up, which crimps my neck and causes dizziness and pain). I've had xrays and MRIs and everything looks fine because they stretch me out and align everything. It they let me crumple in my relaxed-I'm-not-thinking-about-what-I'm-doing position, I think it'd look completely different.

I think it's possible you just have to take it easy for a long time for it to heal. Don't do any out-of-range movements for a couple months and see how you feel. It can take a long time...
Pamela

o

Lori, hope you keep checking in with progress reports. This sounds frustrating as well as painful. Is physical therapy part of your recovery?

Gym check in:
I not only went to the gym yesterday, I carpooled with a buddy & will go again today, dragging said buddy. Sounds terrible to admit but it's been a while since I've gone 2 days in a row! Hopefully I'm establishing a better pattern.

Diet:
Not so great but improving thanks to better access to almost-finished kitchen. Got a grill/panini pan and canola spray, tossing lots of vegies on, and the occasional chicken breast. Making vegie soups etc with little or no oil. I think diet will vastly improve when the crew permanently leaves our humble home and we can keep pots of soup on a back burner. Right now I don't know when I'll have access to the kitchen and we have occasional surprise evening and Saturday kitchen work, timed in accordance with Murphy's Law.

My own schedule is erratic (on good days I call it "flexible") so this is both good and bad.

Valincal, great kitchen/family room set up! Looks so cozy it makes me wish for a moment I knocked out a wall to do the same. I must keep reminding myself of why I didn't (preserve old house and charming woodwork, money doesn't grow on trees, everyone's already in the kitchen making trouble, etc).

Yesterday I found my painter sitting in my dining room looking through three doorways into the windows and room he was working on and I thought, that's why I kept the walls. Love that view and the traffic flow. Fun to think even the painter discovered the view and chose it for his lunch spot. He's painted half my house by now, can only imagine what he really thinks! He's prone to comments like "That's a bold choice!" and when I come in & out during the day he assures me "I'm keeping the dream alive!" which is both amusing and suspicious.

Back to work, maybe even to work out.

o

Valincal, thanks so much for the info. I'm going to print it up and read it over.

Pamela, thanks for the good thoughts. You're right, I have to go easy for awhile. But I'm SOOOOO impatient. I'm doing better than I expeceted, though, and I'm actually getting quite lazy! I even took up knitting this weekend to keep me busy. I kid you not. Whaaat...did you think I'd clean my house with all this free time?

I was trying to teach my kids how to do double Dutch jump rope (remember that?) and even that hurt, so I've got a long way to go to be pain free.

Athome, thattaway!!! You go, Girl!

o

Lori, knitting may not be aerobic but it's wonderfully addictive and useful. I took up knitting in grad school when I was working full-time in addition to a full-time academic schedule. Oddly, I couldn't sleep at night..... So I took up knitting to relax before bed and voila! sleep followed more readily. Decades later I still find it relaxing though the addiction as been pricey with all the beautiful yarns out there. I always have something big going (like an afghan) and something portable (like socks) for soccer tournaments and overbooked doctors' waiting rooms. Once again it's safe to bring knitting needles on planes, though I recommend bamboo and circular for best success in security. (So hard to threaten someone with what looks like a cat toy.)

Lori, I predict great knitting success, seems like this would suit you well if you must be still! Just a hunch. Have you knitted before or is this a new "sport" for you?

o

That's when I've been knitting...when I can't sleep. I've never done it in my life, but found an urge to learn, so I went to the store and picked up some stuff. I need to go slow and gradual because I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands and I can see this isn't the best therapy. Hopefully I'll get a scarf done for my daughter before the end of winter.

On a happier note, I'm feeling much better these days and the time out of the gym is just what my body needs. I plan to get back the weekend of 12/2 if i'm still feeling okay.

This weekend I split 3 cords of wood and although my lower back is sore (nothing I wouldn't expect), I didn't do any further damage to my neck. On my way, slowly but surely.

I hope everybody is planning on forgetting about any diets Thursday and will completely enjoy Thanksgiving. My gym is open in the morning for those who want to work it off before they eat it. LOL

o

Um....anybody out there?

How'd everybody do over the thanksgiving holiday?

Miss you guys!

o

I can't blame it all on Thanksgiving, but I've regained 5 of the 10 pounds I'd lost!!! All in the last month. (I'd lost a total of 10 when i weighed myself after getting back from vacation 10/31). I just have had lots of stress and zero time lately. Work has been nuts since mid-november (i.e. I'm very sleep deprived) and I spent the first week of november doing a bunch of wedding stuff (got engaged while on vacation!). I think work will be more sane after this Thursday, so I hope to get back on track then. Trying to order healthy stuff when I eat dinner at work so I at least don't re-gain any more...

o

I hardly ate over the Thanksgiving holiday, too busy yakking my DH says, and I'm back on track diet-wise. Feel good, but not good enough to tiptoe on a scale yet.

I'm not back into a regular routine at the gym yet, and that's really important. So this is my big challenge.

Congratulations, Robin, for having the guts to get on a scale! With all this romance and the flurry of wedding excitement you're bound to happily lose track of those pesky 5 pounds again! What great news!

Lori, I'm knitting as well, though not enough. So relaxing when I can get to it, usually late enough I should be in bed.

Where's everyone else? At the gym again?

o

Oh, I have been terrible. Caught up in remodeling, the holidays, family and work. I just can't find a good time to get to the gym, and I have been eating too much. I tell ya. The early mornings just didn't work for me and it's hard for me to get away from my desk in mid afternoon, but I think it may be more of a motivation thing than business.

I'm feeling really gross. Can someone please chew me out and tell me to get back to the gym?!!!

Ivette

o

Ivette, get thy butt back to the gym!

You've worked so hard. Don't lose it all....

(will write more later...going crazy here myself!)

;)

o

Hello - I haven't been here for a while but nobody over on the Cooking Forum is concerned about staying fit over the holidays! That may be an exaggeration but it seems that way at this time of year.

Like others here, I don't want to undo what I've worked so hard to accomplish. It would be sooooooo easy to gain back everything I've lost in the last year by just letting go over the holidays.

It is getting hard to get to the gym with all the other obligations. I dusted off the treadmill in the basement so I can at least do cardio on days I can't get to the gym.

Lori, sorry to hear about your neck injury. Hope you hear soon what it is that is bothering you. My neck used to have a lot of pain and now it is painful on occassion. The doctor, massage therapist, and chiropractor all mentioned the possibility of a buldging disk. The best relief is rest, followed by gentle exercise, and cold compresses to reduce inflamation. Heat and massage would cause aggravation. The chiropractor only did some accupressure in that area which felt like just pressing on the side of the spine to relieve pressure in that area. Gradually, the pain went away and only comes back if I overdo it with weights. Some Pilates moves aggravate that area so I do those moves very slowly and stop if I feel pain.

I'm very happy that other than over the holidays, I was sticking with a healthy eating and exercise program. I just bought a dressy suit for a holiday party that is two sizes smaller than what I would have bought last year.

My girls and I competed in a tae kwon do intraschool tourament a few weeks ago. We each took home a second place trophy! I knew they would win trophies because all the youngest kids can take home at least a third place trophy. I was surprised that I won a trophy for sparring in the women's (18+ year old) black belt division. Pretty OK for a 45 year old mother of two. . . so Lori, don't give up on your goal of competing when you are 40! It took me about 18 months of training to get back into shape after restarting TKD.

I'm not very good at having only one or two cookies or one or two pieces of chocolate. How do you resist all the tempations everywhere at this time of year??? I want to bake cookies with my girls but I'm afraid I'll eat at least 6 of each batch within 24 hours of baking them.

Over on the Cooking Forum (which by the way is free now), I am hosting a Healthy for Dinner thread if anyone wants to participate.

Here's to staying fit over the holidays!

Karen

Here is a link that might be useful: Healthy for Dinner

o

Wow, Karen, I am so impressed! 2 sizes smaller, amazing. I needed stamina before heading off to the kitchen to prepare dinner, that'll do it for me...

o

ugh, still a lazy slob (who can't find a plumber).

Ivette

o

Ivette, you must get up & out to the gym! Last I heard Lori was out for the count (stitches, I think, isn't she knitting a weight belt or something??) so I rely on you for inspiration! I always think of you swimming in your clothes as you shrink, you don't want to feel them tightening, do you?

Maintaining is a real battle. It's the one that sneaks up on you.

o

Ivette, you have company in slugville. But I am walking every morning with neighbors. Maybe the new year will revitalize us.

o

I'm finding it is next to impossible to avoid food and this time of year is so busy so many people cannot fit in exercise. I was getting VERY crabby by overeating and not exercising so I've decided to TRY to get to the gym a few times this week just to keep my sanity.

As of the new year, I'll be 100% on board for healthy eating and getting back into exercise.

At least in between eating cookies and holiday treats, I'm cooking light meals. One night we had turkey burgers. Tonight was a small roasted chicken that I'll make into soup for tomorrow's dinner.

My favorite FAST light food is Boca Burgers. Three minutes in the microwave, slap onto a whole wheat bun, add some low carb ketchup or dijon mustard. Slice some green and red peppers on the side. Dinner is done.

Kosher hotdogs are good fast food, too. Boca also makes good frozen chili that is a meal in itself in 3 minutes.

Otherwise, I'm eating way too many treats but I'm hoping to at least maintain my weight until January.

Just don't undo everything you've worked so hard for!

Karen

o

Okay, Ladies (and any gentlemen lurkers we might have out there):

I got the okay to go back to the gym next week (light duty, which is just fine with me).

I am ready to torture/nag everybody back into shape.

Who's with me?

o

I am!

Should we meet at the gym Monday?!

o

Ohhhhh, I think Santa's giving me a gym membership. I may be joining you after all!
Pamela

o

DH just joined our neighborhood racket club. There's an indoor pool and supposedly good spinning classes, etc. I just CANNOT get motivated. Maybe after Christmas.

Lori: SOOO glad you're well enough to go back!

Ivette

o

Ah, Pamela, another victim - er - member of the club!! ;)

Yay!

LOL...I can't go Monday. It's when we celebrate Christmas at my house. 42 people here for dinner. Not too worried about missing that workout, I'll be preparing for the next 3 days (already exhausted)! But I'm there Tuesday...taking it very slow. Most of my exercise will be in the form of tormenting the rest of you. ;)

o

42 PEOPLE FOR DINNER! That's worth a couple hours at the gym, I'd say.

I'm glad you're feeling better, Lori.

Happy Holidays, everyone.
Warmly,
Pamela

o

Welcome back Lori! I will be walking this next week and I might get out to the gym. I am so sick of junky food! And I haven't even eaten that much of it. I baked a ton of cookies and by the end of the day I think I had eaten 1 and had no desire to eat any more. Yay! There have been cookies and sweets out on the counter all day long, and I think I ate 1 big cookie this morning. Had a little sliver of chocolate torte for dessert. But the bread, butter, gravy, potatoes, cheese, dip, wine have all been calling my name loudly!

o

Got my old gym partner revved up. Walking & moving a lot. Treats not such a big problem. Actually tossed asparagus in the wok for Christmas dinner, everyone's eating well. (Except for that sweet potato & apple thing suspiciously redolent of maple syrup and butter that disappeared before making it round the table to the cook...) Family and friends are all eating well so fat & other fiends are not as easy to find.

Exercise is the issue here.

Lori, are you at the gym?

o

Well, last night I stenciled above my doorway, so that was kinda dumb (took a picture, but I still need to figure out how to use this "simple-to-use camera" I just got). I felt okay today and got back to moving, although I didn't lift, just walked. I'll probably skip tomorrow, then lift on Thursday. I'm really nervous, it's funny. I've never been like this before.

Athome and everybody else, isn't it just so hard to put both together: the good diet and exercise? It's the only way to do it, but, man, it's hard!

DH is starting to nag me to get going again, which is just what I need. And I go back to work next Tuesday (been on vacation for 2 weeks), so that should put me into a better routine.

Oh, that diet...click on the below link only if you're not weak. This was Christmas breakfast I made.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click if you dare!

o

Ack...you all are still here! It's true about Cooking. It is soooo much about food, imagine that!?!?!? LOL. Starting the 2nd week of Jan, I hope to be walking to and from work. That's 1.1 miles each way and 10+ yrs ago, I lost two dress sizes doing that. Good luck to me on doing some of that again, but at least I know I'll feel better, and come home less than cranky. dh deserves that.

See you all then. Love and happy new year to all. Maureen
(off to get a flu shot...ouch.)

o

Well...it's "after the first of the year." How's everybody doing?

I brought the food scale back out and have returned to a rediculously strict diet. Two days consecutive in the gym, and I'm a bit sore, but not on my neck, so that's good.

I walked 5 miles and my calves were sore today, so that tells ya how out of shape I got - so quick!

Is everybody else back on track??

Put the cake down and step slowly away from the table....

;)

o

What cake? That's not cake! It's tofu, it's baked, that's why it looks like that, no really.....

o

STILL a slug. But the Gym will see me on Sunday. No matter WHAT.

Ivette

o

This slug has a gym date with her daughter on Sunday. See you there, Ivette!

o

Hi Everyone :)

Ok, I'm back after a very long hiatus and I have to admit that I skipped to January 1 as a starting date for reading posts. I figure it's alreay the, what, 9th or so? I just figure that the last 10 days are behind us and we need to move forward, right?

No matter what we've done or note done over the holidays we can move forward now!!!!!!

I must admit to gaining a couple pounds over the last week. But...since I last check in, I've lost 25+ ~ I'm down from 175 to 150 give or take a pound depending on th eitme of day/week/month.

It' all been lost in the last month, too. My secret came from my (male) boss. I get 1,000 calories a day. I can consume them as I see fit...if I want a sniker's candy bar, cool, but it is 1/2 my calorie intake for the day.
So I can have whatever I want, but I just need to add in my head.

It's amazing!!!!!!!! It works and I"m not hungry! I do feel guilty for sleeping in and not going to the gym at 5:30 a.m., but maybe I'll go this week.

~ Elizabeth

o

Diet story for you guys.

Made vegie lasagna for dinner last night, 1st lasagne in this house in years, & maybe the last. DH, just back from triatholon class, went nuts, digging in, exclaiming the virtues of said main dish, having made quick work of his salad. Finally he quieted, looked at frightened half-empty lasagne pan, DD & yours truly & asked "How many servings did you guys have?" Silence. "Uh, one, Dad." DD's plate lay there, happy but only half eaten. Mine was practically licked clean of its svelt serving. "You know, I don't think we should have lasagne anymore, it's big trouble," says DH.

Salad is on the menu tonight and I'm mulling over what to do with the leftover lasagne trembling in its sauce in the fridge.

o

I say heat up the left over lasagna and enjoy!!! Just enjoy in moderation instead of 1/2 the pan at a time :) I'll bet it was delicious!! Wrap reasonable sized portions, freeze them and dole them out judiciously.

~ Elizabeth

o

Not to worry, Elizabeth! DD & I enjoyed a small square each, plus salad. Aggravating part of story is that DH had four (4) such squares, plus bread/salad/dessert (made only for him), has always eaten heartily, and has no idea that not everyone eats heartily while maintaining a healthy weight, esp while barreling down toward the retirement years! Some years back he decided to join me on my "slimming programme" and, to my horror, started posting his calorie intake publicly on a kitchen wall. 3000 calories/day! And he was melting away! He kept talking about how "good" he was and how much he was restricting his food intake until I couldn't take it any more. I told him he was welcome to "diet" with me, but not to wave his calories about. I didn't want friends to wander in & think I was the silly one packing away 3000 calories and wondering why I wasn't shrinking any faster. But worse than that, it was hard for me to have that reminder that some of us can toss back 3x the calories, or more. I can only imagine his "maintenance" records!

Aside from exercise and genetics, I think it helps if we never actually "diet." I tell my daughter this. That she should maintain her healthy attitude toward food, continue to exercise in fun ways, and just listen to her body. She exercises exuberantly, eats small amounts very, very frequently, and is extraordinarily fit with muscles that "pop." (Of course she is on crutches at the moment, sprained an ankle in her first basketball game of the season... The ER nurses were impressed when she showed up with her own personalized crutches leftover from a broken toe/soccer season.)

Now that I have a kitchen again I'm considering reviving my old practice of tallying up the calorie/protein/fat content of family favorites for a true understanding of serving size. I have often discovered surprises doing this -- esp with salad dressings. Everything here is whole grain and many meals are vegetarian, if not vegan. I'm working on that lasagne recipe. I'm working to increase the vegie portion and decrease the naughty cheese portion until we find that perfect balance. I use whole wheat noodles, spinach, portabellos, peppers, onions, garlic, & such.

On the menu for tonight:
Fat-free black bean soup & salad.
(DH will of course add bread & a dessert of whole grain cookies or yoghurt so he doesn't waste away!)

If anyone else has a favorite "safe" recipe, do post! Maybe I should post on the cooking forum. It just seems many recipes there are not good for my waistline! My SIL likes to load her crockpot with vegies, whatever she has, and let it rip. Virtually fat-free (the soup, not the SIL, tho she'd find the thought humorous), she figures she can eat as much as she wants of her easy-vegie-soup and it keeps her on course.

o

Back to daily weigh-ins, I must be getting serious again.

Anyone else getting back in the groove?

There's an echo in here!

o

I'm working on it :) I do daily weigh-ins now, too. I got a scale that for good or bad is digital and records the weight I was yesterday and tells me in tenths of pounds how much loss/gain in one day. I'm actually using it 3 or 4 times a day right now so that I can get a good understanding of how my weight naturally fluctuates during the day and over the course of the month. I hate when I'm about to get my period, don't realize it and step on the scale only to be up 5 pounds or so.

I'm still doing my 1,000 calorie-a-day diet and am actually quite satisfied. I find that I do try to make the most of each calorie and not "waste" them. It's amazing how well-balanced diet you can eat and how full you can be on that.

140 is actually within sight now...still more to go, but I'm getting there.

I agree ~ lets be more active now that swimsuit season is just around the corner.

~ Elizabeth

o

Okay because, you know, I didn't have enough going on with a full time job, the remodel, and a five year old. NOW, I paid for a ticket for my brother to come and stay with us (yes in the basement!) because he's newly divorced, unemployed, AND depressed. Oh and did I mention my Dad, in FLORIDA, needs a new pacemaker?? Just shoot me now. And I'm supposed to go to the gym when??

Seriously, I've taken to drinking. I've gone through a bottle of Absolut Citron in the span of a week.

I feel like Stanley Johnson: "Somebody help me."

Ivette

o

Oh Ivette ~ I'm going to have a drink in your honor tonight. I am SO sorry that your life is so full/frustrating (?) these days. I know what it is like to have a brother move in and that was enough tension without the remodel and the son (nor a DH).

If I were anywhere close, I'd help you escape for an evening. I know it will feel like "one more thing", but can you possibly find enough alone time to lock yourself in the bathroom and soak in the tub with some candles and soft music for a period of time every few days? Remembering to take some, much needed, time just for you will help to ease the stress and tension.

Hugs to you~

~ Elizabeth

o

OMG!!! That is just about the sweetest thing I have ever seen! Thank you! It just cheered me right up!!!

Cabinets arrived from CrownPoint today, they're gorgeous. I really should be MORE excited but I am just wiped.

I wish I could get out with you too! Tub? What tub would that be? I'm lucky I have a shower. Hee hee....

Ivette

o

LOL about the shower/tub.

Ivette, try to hang in there. You've worked so hard.

Can your brother help with the remodel to "pay his rent" with you? Sounds like a perfect solution to all that's going on (or at least some of what's going on).

I know it's hard when there are a million things going on in your life, but I know you remember how much energy you had when you were working out faithfully. AND it's a nice mental break from all the craziness of the remodel and everything else going on. Please do try to find some time for yourself, even if it's not working out.

How's the diet?

o

Diet? You mean the take out Chinese diet??

:)

The Lacanche arrived today too!!! OMG it's like the TKO delivery bonanza extravaganza!!! Cabinets AND range in one day. Now, I ask you.....

Seriously, I think now that the deliveries (but one) are over, I should be able to get to the gym at work during the day. It's just been too hard what with having to leave constantly to accept this or that.

You are so right that it would help with all this stress. So true. Yes, bro is helping as much as he can. He's not much of a handyman, but he has a strong back, which is what DH needs more than anything at this point (you should see our new bedroom windows).

okay, so that is my day!

Ivette

o

Okay, ladies, I had to go to the second page to find this! That's not good!

Diet is so-so, but workouts have been decent. Went skiing last weekend. Man, was I sore! But then I drank all night, so that wiped out whatever calories I burned on the slopes. LOL

Fighting a cold...plugging away....

How's everybody else doing?

o

I think I am finally getting back on track. Just after Christmas I was forced into spending a week in Paris with my sister, SIL, and nephew. We did tons of walking, but then I ate a ton to make up for it...but I was in Paris, so I had to...it's the law! Then right after I got home DH and I went to Oregon to see DD (let me tell you retirement is *wonderful*). I just spent 3 days in the car eating restaurant food, and I am sick of it! We did lots of walking in OR, too.

I have been walking with neighbor's M-F. We do about a mile and a half to two miles. Then I come home and go to the gym with DH and do another 35 minutes on the treadmill. Then I do the abs machine. I am going to wait until I start to drop some pounds before I get into the whole weights routine again. Right now I think I need to concentrate on the cardio. DH and I go to the gym every day except Tuesday, so I am at least getting 30 min. daily. It feels good to do this, and it so much easier when someone else is going. I'd feel major guilt if he went and I stayed home.

And Lori, skiing and drinking all night just seem to go together. Although I can't do either very well anymore. LOL

o

So sorry, Sue, you were forced to spend a week walking and eating your way through Paris. Life is difficult. Glad to hear you're home & slugging away at the gym!

I'm moving but not quite back on track.

Will start checking in again for inspiration, and to keep our fitness pursuit front page news.

Hosted big dinners this week which meant the fine work of a local pastry chef graced my humble home -- 5 horrifyingly stunning cakes with all manner of chocolate & liquers & fruits raised to a higher order, the sort one only serves in slivers. Aaaaaagh! Luckily I had the quick thinking to rush leftover cakes to other homes & offices, so we are again cake-free over here. It was strangely overwhelming to have such temptation about, even for hours. Nothing sweet here now but fruit and family, promise.

Lori, you're doing well I see!

o

Okay, I've been to the gym & back, & no one's here. Hello!!!

Doing intervals again. High hopes here.

o

I'm here! I'm here!

Good going with the intervals, Athome. I still believe that's the best way to lose weight. Not necessarily the easiest, by any means, but what do they say...anything worth having....

I've been pretty good with the workouts and I'm almost back to where I was before I got hurt. I'm actually there with every exercise except bench pressing and squats. And I'm not going back to those heavy weights with those exercises. I'm happy.

I feel like I'm getting what I deserve. I've had my share of cheat meals but I'm working hard in the gym to even it out.

Sue, sounds like a great vacation. When I win Powerball tonight ($250 million), I will retire. Maybe we can workout together. :D

o

I'm baaaaaaaaaack! :)

Okay, haven't made it to the gym EVERY day this week, but made it three times! So that's something!

Feeling better already. I definitely put a few pounds back on, although I haven't gotten on the scale, I can feel it in my clothes. But I know I'll lose them in no time now! Oh! And I just signed up for the two day Avon Walk for Breast Cancer too! So now, I have to TRAIN for this thing as well! 26 miles on day one and 13 on day two. Man! Training for this alone should help me shed a few (not that that's why I'm doing it of course!!)

Ivette

o

Ivette, I'm still on the fence about whether I will do that walk. The one near me is in Boston, so not too far away, but my only question is raising the $$ they want you to raise.

A co-worker is signed up to do it but just had to have surgery, so she's not sure she'll be ready. If not, I'm the fill in. She's almost half way to the goal, so I'd have it a little easier. We were supposed to have a fundraiser last night, but a little blizzard got in the way.

Gym was closed today. I was going to do back and cardio. Shoveling should take care of that.

o

Guess I'm back in the saddle because I'm watching the scale do inappropriate things in response to intervals & salad, & it's getting me all riled up!

Maybe I should try weighing once a week.

Going to gym with friend today, that should help motivate me as she is also losing weight. Nice to know I'm not alone in the fight.

Glad you guys are making it to the gym. This means I can too.

o

Yes indeed Lori, it is a lot of money to raise. I've raised about 40 percent so far. I'm pretty much only hitting up friends and family at this point, and they have been extremely generous. Everyone recognizes what a good cause it is. But it's not easy, that's for sure.

I can't have a fund raiser because, well, I don't have a house!

Ivette

o

Just back from gym & reporting in that for the first time in forever I feel like something good is happening at the gym. I've been in such a funk, gym-wise. I go & feel old. Feel like a nap, really... Consider whether reading a book would be a better workout. But today things kicked in doing intervals so I may be about to go around a corner.

Hope so!

How are the rest of you doing?

o

Yea athome! Glad to hear you had a good workout. I'm still walking with the neighbors, when I don't sleep in, and going to the gym. I am doing cardio at least 45 minutes every day. And, because I have been watching what I'm eating and keeping track of it, I have lost 3 pounds and 1 ince from my waist. FINALLY!!!! I plan on adding weights back in 3 days a week. Then DH and I take off again to see DD, so that will be 2 weeks of no gym, but we do plenty of walking when we're at her house...but we fortify ourselves with plenty of eating and drinking as well. But I feel motivated to be good while I'm gone. We'll see.

o

Glad to hear your waist is disappearing, Sue. Someday mine will start to disappear too.

Also glad I'm not alone.

Energy good. Actually got up today looking forward to the gym! First time in months I've felt that way.

o

Lurker posting for a change :P

Since DH surprised me with a bike trip in Tuscany this April for our 25th wedding anniversary, I've lost 11 pounds since Jan. 3rd. The weight loss is due to daily 45 minutes on the eliptical or 1 1/2 hours of biking (weather permitting) and nutrition tracking software -- mostly the nutrition tracking software.

Exercise was always part of my life; but getting a grip on the overeating is hard. The nutrition tracker helps by telling me how many calories per day I'm allowed to eat to get down to 180 lbs. by April 15th. It also keeps track of nutrients, fat/carb/protein ratios, water intake, and calories expended through exercise. It was well worth the $50.

I've also invested in quality measuring cups, a bike computer, cycling videos to work out by, and am looking for a good digital food scale. If Lance Armstrong can weigh & measure everything he eats, so can I, right?

8 more pounds to go 'til April 15th! Then I'll start to work on the next 20 :)

Keep up the good work, y'all! It's inspiring to read this thread.

o

Wow, awm03, doing great! I used to track every crumb & I'm debating doing that again. I weighed everything & frankly my old scale looks like it's closer to retirement than I am.

I'm thinking of a new scale (food, that is, the other scale is sadly working all too well) so I'll be interested in your search.

What features do you seek?

I heard a great discussion on NPR today on being healthy at any weight (100, 200, 300...). Even though I will continue to lose weight, I found the discussion helpful. The idea that stuck was that eating well (vegies etc) & exercising regularly will help tremendously whether you lose slowly, or not at all. Better to be round but engaged in a healthy lifestyle than round (or anorexic) & eating/exercising inappropriately.

The talk wasn't about "perfect" patterns, but about moving in the right direction. Mostly about the importance of MOVING, I guess!!! And fueling your temple to live.

o

Hi guys!! Well, as if vanity weren't a good enough reason to exercise, eat well and lose the last 20 pounds, I have just learned I have slightly elevated cholesterol. Siiiigh. Nothing big, and my ratios are good. My triglycerides are "enviable" so that's good too. But overall cholesterol is 202, not good.

Diet and exercise doctor said. Oooooookay. Perhaps the Chinese food diet during the whole house remodel while you live in it, isn't working so good. Clearly, the nurse who drew blood has never remodeled her own home in such a fashion, or I would NEVER have gotten these results! ;)

Well, an early wake up call. I need to start taking better care of myself. I also need a kitchen, so I can cook healthy again!

Ivette

P.S. back in the gym. Training for my walk now though. Doing almost exclusively walking for cardio, but walking at a pretty fast clip. If I'm gonna do the whole 26 miles the first day, I'm going to have to go at a about a 3 to 4 mile an hour clip, and lemme tell you, that's some huffin and puffin if you're me.

Lori: Thanks to the generosity of friends and family (some from this forum I might add) I've raised over $3K already!!!!!!!

o

athomein1914, I bought a digital scale finally -- a Salter scale at BB&B for $39 (+ $4 for a 9 volt battery). I really like it. It has a small footprint, so it doesn't take up much counter space at all. It has an easy to clean glass weighing surface, and "tares", which means you can put your plate on the scale, tare it back to zero, add a meat portion, tare the scale back to zero, add a vegetable, etc. I can weigh individual portions right on my plate without doing the arithmetic. Last night I was able to weigh out 3 oz. of ground beef for a hamburger, thus could figure out exactly how many calories were in it. Very handy. Wish I'd gotten it earlier, probably would have helped me drop another pound or two.

o

awm03, sounds great. I need to get serious about this. With our new kitchen I'm cooking in hard-to-measure ways. Not good for weight loss & the people-scale doesn't lie. Neither do pants...

Congratulations!

Which one do you have? I tried googling and found this one which seems more high tech & more pricey than the one you found. I'm not sure I want to put food on a mini-computer...

Here is a link that might be useful: Salter Food Scale

o

This is the one sold at Bed Bath & Beyond:

There are other models sold there too, but try Googling "kitchen scales" and you'll find all kinds of brands & models.

Yes, new kitchens can lead to weight gain (I just had to try out the proofing mode in my new oven, and well, somebody's got to eat that home-made bread...).

I would have had doubts about a "mini-computer food scale" too, except I'm tracking my diet through a nutrition tracking program, and having a computer figure out the calories in a portion is enormously helpful. Also, if you're trying to work in more or less of certain nutrients, the computers are excellent for tracking that too.

o

I was just kidding about the food scale that looks like a computer.

But yours looks like a food scale. Does it do more than weigh? Is it easy to clean? How do you track nutrients/calories -- do you use your computer or something else?

I'm baking a lot of bread but luckily I don't care for bread, just like making it. It's my DH who goes crazy for it. Visitors too.

o

Hi athome again!

No, it doesn't do anything but weigh (can convert grams to ounces & vice versa), and so far is very easy to clean.

So glad I got it though. Today for lunch I made a sandwich: put the bread on the scale & tared it to 0 (I already know it's 110 cals a slice). Then I added cold cuts (slice chicken breast) til the scale measured 2 1/2 oz., tared the scale, added 1 scant slice of Swiss cheese and noted the amount ( 5/8 oz.). Then I added lite mayo, lettuce, & the other bread slice. On my computer, I calculated the chicken to be 122 cals., and the cheese came out to be about 66 cals. All total, the sandwich was about 450 cals.

I use a program called Diet Power to keep track of calorie consumption/expenditure & nutrition. The Wall Street Journal's health & nutrition writer, Tara Parker-Pope (she's terrific!) had an article on diet software last January and how it can be helpful if you're the type who doesn't mind diligently entering data every day. She reviewed several brands. Below's a link to the article. I see from a Google search there are dozens of programs on the market. Most have free trials, if you or anybody else wants to give 'em a whirl.

One thing nice thing about using the software is I don't worry about all the weight I need to lose, I just concentrate on meeting my daily calorie allowance. Meeting the daily goals helps my confidence, and after a week, I see another pound disappear :)

Here is a link that might be useful: WSJ article on nutrition tracking with your computer

o

Thanks, awm03! Pretty cool. Have to decide which tracking system will work best for me right now. Whatever I'm doing now is simply not working.....
;)

o

Oooh, down to 184 lbs. -- only 4 more pounds to lose by April 15th. Starting to think about Phase 2 now (down to 160 by Sept. 1). Good biking weather today after a very cold three weeks. The elliptical trainer doesn't do much for hill climbing muscles, so I need to get back on the bike. Our route in Tuscany will be *hilly*.

How is everybody else doing? Getting over your winter doldrums yet? Spring is almost here!

o

Just got back from a getaway with DH -- hiking, massage, mountain snow & desert sun. Lots of hill & rock climbing, awm03! I think it's a good idea to train with a thought to how much more fun the getaway will be, wish my fella was less spontaneous -- I rarely know what I should be getting ready for so I guess I should just be in "training" mode.

o

Hi athome - here I am at your recommendation. I looked around here a bit but haven't read everything. I did check out the post about tracking what you eat. I tried the free USDA mypyramidtracker.com. I like that thing. I think I will use it for awhile - it tells you all about how much of the good and bad stuff you've eaten - very interesting. I've hardly had anything to eat today - worst thing was an English muffin with a little peanut butter and transfat free margarine. I'm already well over the day's allowance of fat. Boy, you really aren't supposed to have much fat I guess. It's very helpful though in figuring out how "heart unhealthy" my diet is.

o

Hi athome, hope your trip was refreshing. Rock climbing, wow! Now that's something I'd be too afraid to try but admire the h3ll out of anybody who does it. As much of a mental work out as a physical one.

Hey, gibby. Glad to read about your exercise regimen and how you're feeling much better for it. A big "attagirl" to you!

o

Oh dear, no rock climbing except maybe in my dreams, don't know if that was a brain glitch or a typo. Lots of rock climbers out here but I'm not one of them. We hiked in Canyonlands so there was a lot of clambering about on rocks, mostly by me and devoid of elegance since I'm height-challenged.

gibby3000, I used to measure every gram of fat, I should again. It's amazing, isn't it? Fat creeps in everywhere, no wonder we're a nation in trouble.

Sorry to disappoint everyone with my lack of "true" rock climbing but it was breathtaking (not my skill, but the views rewarding our hikes), I'll link a peek for anyone who hasn't hiked in Canyonlands, this barely gives you a feel for the strange and rocky beauty there...

Here is a link that might be useful: Canyonlands (gov gallery page)

o

Thanks for the link to those gorgeous pictures. Fabulous scenery. Reminds me of one of our happiest vacations, originally to the Grand Canyon, but our teen-aged boys were bored stiff looking at scenery. So we left and booked a room on Lake Powell: boating, swimming, rafting on the Colorado River (and you can make reservations 24 hours in advance; impossible at the Grand Canyon). Your trip to Canyonlands sounds like a terrific late winter getaway.

Down to 182. Two more pounds to go for goal #1. But what shall I do in Tuscany? How do you watch your diet on a vacation like that? I want to enjoy the food, and I don't want to undereat if we're biking 40 miles/day, but I'm terrified I'll gain 5 pounds after working so hard to lose weight. Any tips would be appreciated.

o

awm3, I don't think you have to worry too much about gaining weight on a bike trip in Italy. I have lost weight in Europe just because I have walked so much...and I eat pretty much what I want to because the food is sooooooo good!
They are much healthier in their eating anyway, and portions are smaller than here. Take your time and enjoy every bite. And then report back and tell us about all the wonderful food and wine :) Oh and gelato.

o

awm03, Lake Powell vs Glen Canyon remains a controversy here due to ecological and archeological concerns. Maybe you know all about this from your visit, maybe not, thought you might be curious. Huge uproar a few years back about flooding Glen Canyon, now more a grumbling and slow movement to restore. Linking some great photos from the the Glen Canyon Institute. Gorgeous area.

As for Italy, please let me join sue7972 in urging you to eat your way through the fine cuisine of the area!!! You will more than burn it off, but beyond that, food is an enormous part of the travel experience. How can you know Tuscany without knowing the food and wine?! One of the great things about Italy (besides the gelato!) is the salad experience. You'll have great salads, and this will help you stay healthy on your trip. There's so much more to Italy than cheese, but don't skip any of it. Eat what appeals to you at the moment, drink the rest in with your eyes.

I hope you don't let diet lessen your grand experience. You're going to be healthier at the end of this trip for so many reasons.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glen Canyon Institute photos

o

Ummmm, I guess we're the advanced diet/exercise thread now? :)

Thanks sue & athome for the encouragement. It's good to know the portions are not what Americans are accustomed to.

Reached goal #1 this weekend: 180 pounds, a 20 pound weight loss since Jan. 3. Moving on to goal #2, 155-160 pounds by Sept. 1. Will start after returning from Italy. Can't believe I'm losing weight after years of failure. Got a little bit of diet fatigue, but am terrified to go over my daily calorie allotment set by the diet tracker -- not a bad thing. Spring & summer produce will bring some welcome changes in the diet, too.

athomein1914, thanks for that link! Yes, I was aware of the dam controversies. Still, I'd love to go back and swim in Lake Powell again.

Funny anecdote: I was getting dressed for work and DH commented on how much thinner I looked, but lamented that my boobs now smaller. He said, wiping away a mock tear, "And we didn't even have a going away party for them."

o

Holy cow, it's been WEEKS since I've posted here. I'd like to say it's because of all those hours of cardio each day, but truthfully, I've just been SO busy with work/family (though I've been watchin' y'all! ;)

Some may remember I hurt my neck last fall, and it took a looong time to recover from it. Months of chiropractor appointments didn't help. Rest didn't really help like it should have. Two massages and I felt SO much better. I'm pretty much back to 100%, though I take it much easier than I used to.

Glad to hear about the food scale. Isn't that the best? It's true what they say about weighing your food. You don't realize how much you really eat if you don't. Same with writing it down. It's a good habit to get into.

Awm, congratulations on all your progress. I know you're working hard. I'm so excited to know it's paying off for you. Doesn't it just feel great to know that? WoooHooo!!! Keep it up!!!!

Sorry to hear about your other "loss." Look at it this way: At least you had some to start with ;) I hope you have since had that going away party! LOL

Summer is coming...anybody ready to kick it up a notch? I'm on a mission....

o

Glad to hear your neck is finally healing Lori. You're probably smart to start out slow. You'll feel good to get back on the exercise track though.

Started Phase 2 today: 155-160 by Sept. 1. Perseverance will be key.

Think the real "going away party" will be in Italy in 2 weeks, LOL! I bought a pretty dress & some cycling skorts for the biking trip, which DH will like very much. BTW, he's lost 10 pounds himself. Even my college-age sons are getting more nutrition conscious -- they opted for the veggie pizza I made for DH & me Wednesday instead of the plain lotsa Mozzarella I made for them. The oldest is reading nutrition labels now.

o

Wow, Lori, massage helped more than the other things? Amazing. I'm trying to convince my DH he should try this himself, don't know why he's resistant.

Italy. 2 weeks, that's around the corner. Sounds great, and how wonderful to take off with this jumpstart, awm03.

The stuff we lose isn't nearly as wonderful as the stuff we gain -- like muscle, stamina, life. The aging prcess itself takes a toll, my mom's visiting and commenting on this now. If we're not moving now, we sure won't be later. I'd love to shrink all over, just to shrink tight. It does seem to fall off from top to bottom though, anyoone else notice this, or am I imagining it???!! Not that I'm shrinking at the moment, but I will be again soon. It's a rocky path over here. Doing too much again.

o

athome, you sound a little stressed, or am I misreading? Now I'm worried about you! Hope you enjoy your mom's visit, and that you can fit in time for some walks now that warmer weather is approaching.

Same to you Lori, hope you can squeeze in some exercise time. When my kids were younger and I was hauling them all over God's planet to activities (plus the whole PTA thing) I always put myself on the back burner. But no regrets (Edith Piaf warbling in the background). The best kids I know have/had very involved parents. Weight loss & exercise are really tough to do when you don't have the luxury of focusing on yourself.

o

Hi everyone. I have a question for anyone who is close to 50 and exercises regularly. Do you have a lot of aches and pains - I'm not talking so much about muscle soreness but more joint aches and pains?

I am really noticing this since I started exercising 5-6 times a week a couple months ago - riding my exercise bike and doing a stability ball routine. I wouldn't think an exericse bike would be all that hard on the joints. It is an Airdyne so it is arm and leg motion but I do use only my one real leg when riding it.

At first I thought it was mostly my knee but really it's also my angkle, hip and back, shoulders, etc. So I'm thinking this is maybe just normal when you're 49. It's not really bothersome but I don' want to be damaging something. I wouldn't think I'm damaging something since it's basically my entire body not just one part.

However since I only have one knee I don't really want to be doing anything to bring on a premature knee replacement surgery. In fact I'm hoping I never have to have one of those.

Thanks for any insights.

o

Hi gibby. I get some knee tenderness that I never used to get. But I can't swear that it isn't from being overweight. As for other joints, my feet don't like walking, and my elbow will complain sometimes after tennis. But these are occasional aches, not whole body aches on a regular basis like what you're experiencing. Might be worth having a doctor check you out just to make sure.

o

Holy cow...this was on page two!!! LOL

Awm, I see that you're home from Italy. I thought of you on Easter morning when I was watching the services on TV from the Vatican. Beautiful. I hope you had tons of fun. Again, happy anniversary!!!

Don't forget that you probably worked those legs pretty good with all that biking. I'm sure some of that gain was muscle...right? Even if it wasn't - so what - everybody needs a vacation now and then. You earned it. I know you're motivated and will get back on track. I'd be in food heaven if I ever went to Italy.

Gibby, yes, aches and pains - all the time. Just try to read what is normal muscle soreness and when you should take a break. But I think in general, as we get older and older, it's just plain harder to recover. I'm still sore from Monday's workout - but a good sore, and I love that!

For me, I am very particular about exercising both sides of my body the same, even though I'm left-handed and seem to be stronger on that side. For instance, if I hurt my right hip, I might limp a bit, which eventually screws up my back, which leads to sciatica...and so on. How do you get around that? You truly, truly amaze me. I wish I had half of your motivation!

Well, for those of you that have read my ongoing minor health dramas, the newest annoyance is a questionable pap, so I had to have a biopsy two weeks ago, and I'll get the results Tuesday. I'm sure everything is fine or they would have called by now. I'm not the least bit worried (third time it's happened). Just an inconvience. I took 10 days off from the gym (doctor's orders), but now I'm on a push to get in shape for the summer. I WILL do it. (I'll betchya a Resees ;) )

Athome, Sue, everybody else...How's things going?

o

awm03, the stress is insane lately but as of today will ease a bit.

gibby3000, also 49 here though my days are dwindling as we approach the festivities. I don't think you're "supposed" to have aches & pains! Makes me wonder if your warmups & stretches are appropriate or, as awm03 suggests, if you should chat up your doc. For me, the aches & pains are directly related to a mattress that is approaching retirement. Slept a few nights on my daughter's new latex mattress & slept all night every night sooooooo supported. My husband is paving the way for me and tells me the real fun starts now (colonoscopies & such). His aches & pains are more about old sports injuries (a lifetime of basketball etc) but are all improving with circuit training and swimming. I'm gardening a lot now so I'm stretching in different ways, & feeling it. I think you can tell the difference between good aches, and odd ones.

One thing I've noticed that's different is that I get aches as though I've bumped something or pulled something, but I can't remember what I did. What's interesting is I'm not sure if this is an "aches & pains" problem, or more one of failing memory!

Lori, glad to hear you're taking care of yourself. Don't forget to check in when you get the clear on that test!

How's everyone else?

Anyone besides me gardening? Any ideas for making gardening a better experience physically? (better ways to bend & stoop & pull etc) My mom visited recently & it was great fun to try her workout -- my 14 yr old & my mom & me stretching and lunging all over the house, it was pretty comical esp with my mom's running commentary. My DD demo-ed her soccer training versions of some and we found those pretty entertaining as well. Sorry, no photos!! My mom's tip is to suck in your tummy with every exercise, and soon it starts to stay there! I used to do this and I used to have a 23" waist, hmmmmm. Of course I used to be a meer 23 yrs young.....! Any other tips?!

o

Thanks everyone for the input on the aches and pains. I'll definitely ask my internist about it when I go back. I have to do that shortly since she has now prescribed medication for HBP and they have to monitor side effects of the medication with some blood tests. Interestingly the baseline lab work showed slight calcium elevation - results were mailed to me and I haven't seen the doc again yet. Of course I went off researching that and found hyperparathyroidism can cause high calcium, high blood pressure, bone pain and a few other symptoms I've noticed. So she will be rechecking the calcium and I'll mention the aches and pains.

As my kitchen research obsession originally led me here, similar obsession has already resulted in determining surgery is the treatment of choice for hyperparathyroidism and who is the leading expert in non-invasive parathyroidectomy.

I should get a life huh - or maybe more exercise and less internet research.....

o

Hey Lori, hope everything is ok. I'm still plodding along. We go to the gym most days and I do 45 minutes on the treadmill. I am finally starting to lose some weight. I started the Sonoma Diet, which is actually just healthy eating, so it is easy to follow. No weighing or measuring your food, you follow a diagram for food amounts, 25% protein, 25% grains, 25% veggies, 25% fruit on a 9 inch plate for dinner. We have also started using only brown rice and whole wheat pasta. We already were doing the whole grain thing with cereal and bread. Sometimes I stray and have more than the allowed 1 glass of wine with dinner, but then I try to get myself back on track. I'm really not ever starving, and if I am I just have a healthy snack. I haven't had any cravings for sweets either.

o

Great job, Sue!

That 9 inch dinner plate...are there height limitations? You know me, I can find a technicality in anything! ;) You shoulda seen what I just ate! LOL

o

Lori, I'm sure the height doesn't matter, just the proportion, okay whadja eat??!!!

Great going, Sue! This sounds like a lifestyle change more than a "diet."

I haven't been feeling well lately & it hit me that it was a number of subtle changes at once:
less/no exercise
white rice after decades of brown only
fewer raw vegies
wine with dinner after decades of water only
you get the picture

I'm attacking all fronts and feel better today. Will check in here for fortification!

o

I'm checking in & there's an echo in here!

o

LOL, Athome!

I'm here, and I know others are too, just not posting.

Making great progress and thrilled with the results.

My biggest problem is still dealing with PMS cravings, but I stared down a peanut butter cup on my desk Friday and I won.

Workouts have been great and I thought my body fat would be down more than it is right now (though not bad), but patience is not my strong point.

How's everybody else doing out there?

o

I've been over in the Mojo thread. Anybody else want to come over there?

o

um, okay, I started this thread. Shall I end it with my hypothyroid woes? Off to doc for meds tomorrow.

SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIGH!!
Ivette

o

Oh Ivette...I'm so sorry. How frustrating that must be for you. Hope the medication & your doctor's guidance sets things straight for you.

o

Ivette,

That's not sounding good. I hope things work out for you. I know somebody who had the same problems, went on the meds and saw a complete turnaround almost immediately. Hang in there. Are you still walking this weekend? Or is your walk a different weekend than ours?

I'll do whatever the rest of the gang wants to do as far as the thread. I haven't been checking in much because I didn't know if you guys are sick of hearing from me about my gym antics (worried I'm being a thread killer). I believe I have decided on the fitness competition I'm planning on entering (next August). I'll definitely need inspiration and help from you guys.

So just tell me where to go. Ha! LOL

o

Thanks guys:

Lori: Our walk was at the end of april and I DID it!! Of course, I got a stress fracture, shin splint, hematoma and banged up my two big toes doing it, but...... (and we won't even discuss the blisters!).

But I walked all 39 miles and it was great!

I'll let you know how it goes with the meds. Good luck on the walk!

Ivette

o

Wow, Ivette, sounds great! Yes, I see you banged up your hardworking body, but you'll heal, and YOU DID IT!!!

I'm interested in the meds, starting at the beginning, did I miss something???

Lori, please report on gym antics, and the planned event next August. I like to hear about a great goal, and the plan to get there, even if the goal is dramatically different than my own.

I'm "enjoying" interrupted sleep here, which is not helping anything. But I'm adding a lot of gardening to my own erratic gym antics (which I suspect bear little resemblance to Lori's at this point!). Relaxing, & gives me greater incentive to tighten up. I get up before the sun to sneak out in the garden, if only I felt that way about the gym. Actually, I used to, & I think I will again someday.

Any other gardeners lurking???

o
found the other thread

Okay, maybe it's the lack of sleep, but I found what I missed, catching up with your thyroid issues on the other thread, Ivette. How wonderful to know this so you can do something about it!

I should check this myself as I have symptoms as well. I never have because I feel sheepish about the weight issue, but also because I've never had a doc suggest it -- in spite of a few obvious symptoms. I also thought that since I CAN lose weight (just with difficulty), that can't be me.

o

Guess everyone else has reached a comfortable fitness level and moved on!

I'm using a nutrition tracker now & have to say it's making a huge difference! Such an easy way to track every bite, and quite a revelation as well. Made me decide to resume a vitamin/mineral supplement which I thought was just something you take when you're remodeling the kitchen.....

My fats are lower than I thought but my salt is higher. And where's my calcium?!

Anyone else tracking nutrition?

o

I'm still using DietPower. Love it! What kind did you get, athome?

o

awm03, actually I'm using a free online tracker -- "sparkpeople." A friend emailed the link to me and it works well.

I'm pretty scrupulous when I track & if I don't want to read it on my chart I won't put it in my mouth.

It's painless to use the tracker, & I learn so much. I've always known my fruits were low from previous tracking (I much prefer vegies) but I'm surprised by a few things I've never tracked before. And I'll be changing a few habits. For one thing, I'm going back to making my own broth again (for recipes, to sub for fats). The fat-free organic broth in a box I've been buying isn't good for my sodium column, though it does eliminate fats from recipes.

I'm definitely back to taking a vitamin/mineral supplement. I thought that was just a "remodeling" supplement (all those odd take-outs & goofy meals), but lowering my calories overall lowers my vit/min intake.

Another surprise is that I thought I drank more water than I do, haven't tracked it in a long time. This is hard for me to track so I might get a big premeasured bottle & use that for greater accuracy.

I'm not as regular at the gym as I want to be (and as I was, and as I surely will be again!) but I'm sure clocking some hours in the garden. Not the same, but quite relaxing and satisfying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here