Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Computer people, help!!!! Can't log on

Posted by seekingadvice (My Page) on
Sun, Sep 3, 06 at 16:54

and don't know what to do.

I downloaded a thing called AVG rootkit and did a scan which found one item. I removed it and now I can't log on so it seems that little item I removed was pretty important. It was WINNT/system32/userinit.exe

How can I restore it? Right now I am using my laptop which is old and very slow.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Computer people, help!!!! Can't log on

Hi 'seeking help', go to Other Forums at the top of the page and click, then go the bottom of that page and there is a section called COMPUTERS and a sub-title there is 'computer help'.........hope someone has advice for you. Good Luck! Susan

o

Thanks, susan! I actually already posted over there, but thought I'd also ask here in case bmorepanic or one of the other computer gurus was about :)

o

What's your operating system?

o
Log-on Log-off issues

Hope this helps. If not, you can try booting from the CD and reinstalling Windows. It will overwrite and repair and may fix the problem. Good luck.

Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP.

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

Now, change the USERINIT value in the registry (see Phase II in this page) and change it accordingly.

If it is, or was Blazefind you removed, there is a removal tool here

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/adware.blazefind.html

Good luck

o

If the above doesn't work for you, I highly recommend techguy.org. They offer free help and have saved my butt several times. Good luck.

o

Thank you for all the suggestions. Unfortunately, I may have made things worse and erased my stuff :( I followed various recommendations and attempted a repair from my OS cd, but it still didn't work and I'm thinking that it may have eliminated my files, sigh. I called a computer place and they'll send someone out tomorrow at a cost of $110. I hope it is fixable.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here