Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ganoobrt

Cliq Studios

ganoobrt
10 years ago

I am writing a review of my recent experience with Cliq Studios. I just wanted to warn people to do their homework before buying kitchen cabinets online. If I had to do it all over again, I would have ordered them from Lowe's or Home Depot. I think the prices are comparable and I would have paid to have them installed. I know they would stand behind their products and any issues would be dealt with locally instead of having to be shipped.
We installed the cabinets ourselves & have had issue after issue. We are not new to home improvements, have been doing them for 23 years but this has been a thorn in our side. First off..don't be fooled by their website. It is very nice and their reviews are very good on their website but I somehow doubt that they post any negative reviews they may have received. I ordered the white Dayton cabinets. Here are some things to consider. The finish on these cabinets are something between flat and eggshell. I have tested on sample piece after I purchased them and started having issues ( I wish I had tested them before I purchased) I have noticed that mustard will definitely soak into the cabinets & permanently stain as well as oily things. They are not so easy to clean. Do not use magic erasers as they will scratch the surface. If you do decide to use Cliq Studios, communicate via email on major decisions you make. I didn't think anything of phone conversations and decisions that were made over the phone. When you make decisions on the phone with your designer, then there is no documentation. If you try to tell them that you said you wanted something, they will just tell you that you signed off on the order and should have reviewed your order sheet more carefully. Not very good stall instructions on fillers and crown molding. We ended up having to modify and create our own molding because what they sent looked horrible. I lost out on $400. They charge a 25% restocking fee and you have to pay for shipping. Just be aware and order locally if you can. I hope they hold up well....we shall see.

Comments (59)

• agal123
    8 years ago

It's really hard to tell whether cliq has good quality or not. I see a ton of good reviews, and then some bad ones - but most of the bad ones seem to be from contractors or custom cabinet makers...

• susanlynn2012
    8 years ago

I would like to see some recent kitchens using Cliq Studios and more current reviews.

• _sophiewheeler
    8 years ago

''but most of the bad ones seem to be from contractors or custom cabinet makers...''

Those are the people in the position of truly assessing the quality of the product. Most homeowners cannot see beyond the facade. They don't have the experience needed to judge quality. All they see is ''pretty faces'', and don't understand how bad the glides are or the internal voids in the suspect import pywood. All the homemowner hears are the buzzwords, and they have no way to judge anything because they don't know enough.

• Seth Preisler
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

why would anyone pick Cliq studios over ikea

• blondelle
    6 years ago
    I would like to know that too. I'm not crazy about the flat finish on Cliq. The IKEA Bodbyn gives a painted look and has the raised panel without the problems of the paint cracking as it's MDF. Going to look at the HD and Lowes cabinets. I looked at Cliq as I thought they were only a little more than IKEA, but that's not the case. Are those stores less than $430 a running foot?
  • Cam S
    4 years ago

I just received a quote from Cliq and it was half the price of Home Depot's KraftMaid. I've requested a couple of samples of the Dayton in two different whites and I'm anxious to see the quality. Based on the significant price difference alone, I'm tempted to go with Cliq. I mean seriously, I was shocked at how expensive Home Depot's cabinets were, and I have a small kitchen (10 x 10),

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

KraftMaid has about 26 price groups. What door did you quote? Also, KraftMaid is a midgrade cabinet with a superior finish to Cliq, which is entry level I believe.

If you can find a Shiloh dealer in your area, consider getting a price on their Aspect Series in a partial overlay. Easy to design with, less clearance issues (as w/ full overlay) and finished end panels are real wood not vinyl. Sorry pic won't go in straight. I even tried to rotate it

• PRO
    Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths
    4 years ago

My comment, based on 30+ years in this industry, is more generic and not directed at any one cabinet manufacturer. First... there are many cabinet brands made in China, then assembled here in the US. These "manufacturers" and their retailers don't really boast the fact that the cabinets aren't US "made". Vietnam is another "go to" given tariffs on China. When the cabinet salesperson is careful with their words, or uses buzzwords like "offshore" ... "sourced globally" ... be assured, your potential investment wasn't made IN the US. You can find US Made cabinetry that's affordable. It may require a little more Googling vs visiting the website of a company that pays for top search engine placement... which also offers web-based online sales. I for example offer a US made cabinet line, made using US plywood, that I can compete with against the Big Box retailers. I believe I can also deliver competitive value against an "offshore" import. As a cabinet shop owner as well, I've dissected other brands of cabinets and materials that go into offshore and globally sourced cabinetry -- there is (or can be) a difference. As far as pricing... I see "steller" prices calculated by salespeople at the Big Box stores for example that end up not being so "steller" when one realizes what was missed in the materials make up or list. Regardless where you decide to ultimately purchase... all I am suggesting is 'Do Your Homework'... make no assumptions. The frustration comes later after you've invested "x" dollars, believing you've received value for investment, only to learn you perhaps could've done better ... and that you overpaid for what you did receive. All the best in making your decision.

• Dan Anderson
    4 years ago

I'm not sure they really know what they are doing. I've been waiting 5 weeks for the design and quote, they have had the layout for 5 weeks. Spoken with the designer twice. I've been told every other day for the last week that he would have it the next day. If they can't provide a design and layout in 5 weeks makes me wonder what will be missed, what incorrectly sized cabinets, etc.. I would end up with!

• Gw Peterson
    4 years ago

I agree. I got samples and had them do a preliminary design. Asked for a small revision and never heard from them again, despite several email follow ups. Horribly frustrating experience. Never again, and won’t recommend to anyone.

• PRO
    The Borges Collective
    4 years ago

You are lucky! I bought in December, received two shipments already with defective cabinets , the first one was a joke, all of them with cracks and chips, second one one good, others same as first one, and today I learn they abruptly closed, didn’t tell anybody, not even the employees got a heads up.

• David Graham
    4 years ago

Thank you, Miaexports. I was ready to order and have not been able to figure why they were not answering the repeated phone calls. I was a call away from paying. DG

• PRO
    4 years ago

I personally believe their closure was based on their business model built around Chinese-made cabinetry. With heavy US Tariffs, together with China losing a US lead lawsuit with the ITC ... Cliqstudios couldn't make it, falling by the wayside like "Solid Wood Cabinets". Read about their closure >> The article cites Corona as a contributing factor in their closure.

• PRO
    Interior Concepts & Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Unfortunately, we did make a purchase in February, were told our shipment would leave Indiana March 17 and now we are out of almost $30,000. I have been working with them for 9 months. They definitely have a horrible business model if a virus is shutting them down in lieu of temporary closure. I am sick to my stomach.

• live_wire_oak
    4 years ago

The tariffs on Chinese sourced cabinets are what shut the doors. A pro should know that. And know enough and have enough standards to have avoided working with that junk.

• PRO
    Interior Concepts & Design, LLC
    4 years ago

Thanks Live_wire_oak. I was never aware that they made products in China. I was always told they were 100% US made. I appreciate your comment. Unfortunately, it’s bad timing as we are a small business and now have to make amends for our client. This is not small potatoes to us.

• PRO
    4 years ago

Wayzata Home Products, owns Cliqstudios and 6-Square Cabinets, importing from Dalian Tianxin Home Products in China. It is my upstanding from a conversion years ago with a Rep of theirs. Most parts are (were) imported from China and assembled in originally Edina, MN... then they "got a deal"... opening a second location in Connersville, IN. While they have shop capabilities, making specials, supporting the lines, they heavily relied on China up until tariffs went into effect, followed by the loss of the ITC lawsuit.

Sorry to hear about your problems,
    Jerry
    www.theshopkitchenandbath.com

• wilson853
    4 years ago

Interior Concepts - Someone mentioned on another thread that they were refunded through their credit card company. I hope that this might be a remedy for you.

• Candice Renner
    3 years ago

We were refunded with our credit card company. Our cabinets arrived in bad shape and we found out they shut down about a week after delivery. My husband was able to fix the issues so we are lucky! Free cabinets!

• PRO
    The Borges Collective
    3 years ago

They gave me a discount, unfortunately I didn’t pay with a credit card but with their bread financing company. Better than nothing I guess. Also they told me they’re mergin with Lilly Ann cabinets and that the warranty is going to be taken care of by them. See it to believe it.

• j lo
    3 years ago

My personal experience has been frustrating with Cliq, they took almost 2 months before somebody gave me a quotation. This is considering that I was dealing directly through Lilly Ann, which they have been responding . This type of experiences makes me wonder about he cliq product. I decided to probably go with the Lilly Ann cabinets and will post my final experience with them

• PRO
    3 years ago

I still cannot wrap my brain around why a homeowner would pull the trigger, purchasing imported cabinets from (once) China, Vietnam, Mexico, Malaysia, Indonesia, etc. Please do your homework ... cost-competitive options "made" (not just assembled) here in the US DO exist.

• j lo
    3 years ago

Hi Hankins and Associates could you provide the names of those cost-competitive options made in USA. I have not been able to find them after 3 years looking for them.

• Rachel L
    3 years ago

@Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths, do you have any trusted, cost competitive brands that you recommend? I'm in NYC if that matters.

• live_wire_oak
    3 years ago

It’s been discussed many times in many threads. There’s also literally an ongoing whole entire thread comparing budget cabinets.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5647040/white-shaker-battle-ikea-vs-the-rest-of-the-cabinet-world

• PRO
    3 years ago

@Rachel L There are many manufacturers of US made cabinetry, even smaller local/regional shops that'll deliver quality for a decent price. Here are 4 names below. I sell 2 of the 4 listed. One caveat... How well you're able to Buy it will be hinged on the dealer who's Selling it. Some dealers for example will sell WLS as a 'custom' or 'semi-custom' line (yeah, I've heard those words leave their mouth). So much hinged in the dealer.

Barker Cabinetry

Homesite Cabinetry

Waypoint Living Spaces

Wolf Cabinetry

• campbellcrewmom
    3 years ago

@Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths, I'm right outside of Nashville, TN and looking for nice cabinets that will last but don't break the bank. Budget is the biggest concern for my kitchen face lift. Do you recommend any budget cabinets or always go through a dealer? Thanks!

• PRO
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

@campbellcrewmomI personally think it's a good idea to find either a dealer local to you when purchasing price-conscious national brands or find a local ('capable') cabinetmaker/shop. My business (now 28-years old) is both a dealer for a few manufacturers and I build cabinetry in-house. I deliver good value for investment and am sure you have someone similar to myself in the Nashville area. I've never really been a fan of online cabinet purchases for a host of reasons. Buying cabinetry (generally speaking) isn't like buying a faucet, a lighting fixture, etc. There are a host of variables and I think it's generally a good idea to have a face-to-face advocate in case something doesn't quite work out to plan. Just my $0.02. :) All the best with your project.

• campbellcrewmom
    3 years ago

@Hankins & Associates, Inc. - Kitchens and Baths, I have enjoyed reading your comments and that is why I wanted your opinion! Thanks for your quick response. I knew that was probably the answer. I am reaching out to some locals for quotes now. Thanks again.

• TERRY
    3 years ago

Would be curios to see a comparison to Conestoga. As I research them, it appears to be the higher end of RTA - well built, custom sizing, and tons of finishes/door styles. I don't think they do frame less. Made in Pennsylvania and NC.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Terry, Conestoga (being US made) will definitely will be more expensive than imports from China, Vietnam, Malaysia , etc. Curious, do you want an RTA product ... or are you trying to find something you like that's within budget ... and (thus far) you've only been able to find RTA??

• TERRY
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I can either go assembled or RTA. I don't mind RTA for saving money. I need budget and some custom sizing (widths, extended styles in a few cases, and one cabinet 15* deep rather than 12"). A soft white quality finish) and shaker cabinets and Blum hinges/slides. The project is 20 cabinets. My initial quote back in February from Clique is about 1/4 less than Conestoga. But Clique does not have custom sizing.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Terry, on most RTA and cost-effective cabinet avenues ... special widths and extended stiles 'generally' are not offered. Depth is usually not an issue with most cabinet lines. The widths problematic given doors (for their standard size offering) are made in advance, with exception to Conestoga ... hence why they're more expensive. I'd look at Waypoint. Again, depth won't be an issue, width will be ... and no extended stiles ... would be fillers. https://www.waypointlivingspaces.com/

• mjmayhurin245
    3 years ago

Cliq studios the worst place to buy kitchen cabinets. the cabinets were peeling was just delivered in June. they refused to refund for damaged cabinets instead they sent me a video via youtube for me to repair myself after paying approximately $6,000. Buyer be aware. Bad design just find out today July 11,2020 that I will not be able to use one of the cabinets because too close to the dishwasher. I could gotten my cabinet from Lowes or Home Depot better quality do not let that shinny website and catalog fool you. The worst!

• Becky Scribner
    3 years ago

I have to say - my experience so far with CliqStudios has been amazing. I started my project a year ago, then put it on hold, and picked it up again with a totally different layout just a few weeks ago. Literally within 2 days of reaching out, my designer turned around an updated plan and estimate that was spot on. The provide photo-realistic 3D renderings, which were very helpful for us. Living in Oakland, I don't think there are any local shops that could come close to their price... our estimate was 30% less than our contractor told us to expect for semi-custom.

It's misleading to assert that Cliq offers "Chinese Made Cabinetry." Perhaps some parts/materials are imported, however fabrication and assembly happens in the Indiana. My designer was based in Minnesota. You can watch a video on YouTube from their factory and judge for yourself if this meets your personal bar (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63YMsX7avcA).

I haven't received my cabinets yet, so it remains to be seen how they arrive, install, and handle wear. My designer did suggest I order early and inspect the cabinets upon arrival for damage so that they can send a replacement part without holding up my project if need be. I'll post again once I get there.

• Bryan Deily
    3 years ago

Becky how did your purchase with CliqStudios go? I am curious if all is well under their new ownership. Thinking about placing an order here shortly.

• agk2003
    3 years ago

My sister is in the beginning stages of a kitchen remodel and has received a quote from cliq that is half that of another cabinet maker. The draw for her is that cliq offers inset at such an affordable price. Looking forward to hearing any recent experiences.

• JuneKnow
    3 years ago

Bankrupt import junk.

• salonva
    3 years ago

I am curious if anyone has gotten their cabinets since the revamped company seemed to open again. I hope you all have great updates to post.

I am not looking for cabinets and thankful that I did find real American made cabinets. They were not cheap BUT there were no defects whatsoever. Whatever came was perfect and able to be installed.

• agk2003
    3 years ago

salvona which cabinets did you go with?

has anyone found affordable inset cabinet lines?

• salonva
    3 years ago

I got Plato Prelude. Very high quality and well regarded. It's their lower price point,.

Other American made ones I considered were (and I am not 100% certain that they are still American made so definitely do confirm) Waypoint, Wellborn, Kraftmaid.

• Mariah Decatur Ellis
    3 years ago

Saloons was Plato significantly cheaper than Kraftmaid and waypoint?

• Mariah Decatur Ellis
    3 years ago

Salvona *

• salonva
    3 years ago

I think Plato was not cheaper. I really didn't do an apples to apples comparison because my plan kept changing over time. When I entertained waypoint I had a simpler layout planned. so could not give a real comparison.

• PRO
    3 years ago

Plato is not a cheap, budget maker of cabinetry (even their Inovae line). As a once Plato dealer, I still have a high respect for the company, its people, the product. They are not in the same category as Waypoint, Kraft-Made, and another mentioned here (can't remember which). Someone also asked on this thread if theirs a cost-effective option for inset cabinetry. I believe so, though "cost-effective" is subjective, meaning something different to different people. That said, I might be slightly bias given I own a cabinet shop.😁

• Mariah Decatur Ellis
    3 years ago

Thanks ! Good to know. Is there a cabinet company you recommend that is priced affordable versus Plato? I am thinking of going with crystal cabinets or bellmont. I heard some bad quality reviews about crystal last year but not sure who else makes affordable custom colored cabinets.
    I seen that theRtastore.com makes custom color (sherwin Williams) cabinets. But I know the quality might not be the same.

• salonva
    3 years ago

Yes, I was not suggesting that Plato was budget. I had originally not realized how much of the others I first considered -was Chinese import. (I did start looking about 2 years ago before all the tariffs and drama).

When I tried to search for US Made ( as opposed to US warehouse) the choices were much diminished. I knew someone connected with Plato so I still paid more than the other brands, but I know that I got superb quality. As I said, everything that came was ready to install... Any research I did confirmed that Plato was a superior product.

• HU-951139986
    3 years ago

I have had a horrible experience with Cliq Studios and would warn you to steer clear! Ordered upper cabinet doors in October of 2020 and here it is March 2021 and they have still not been delivered. Customer service is a complete joke with them.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    3 years ago

5 months???? Why don't you cancel and order from a local dealer? Medallion Silverline is on sale til June. I carry an import line that is equivalent to Cliq but I can get cabinets to clients in as little as 3 days to 2 weeks, fully assembled. What is there reasoning for being almost a half year out?

• kkrasny37
    3 years ago

Cliq studios is terrible. Quality is the worst, customer service is non existent. Do not buy.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio