Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
celticmoon_gw

Please help me with a curse on my house

celticmoon
16 years ago

I surrender. I give up. This house has a curse. I've said it for years. It is half funny but I just can't take it anymore.

It is a water curse.

Anything having to do with water fails in this 1989 house. We have been here 8 years and so far we've faced: complete gutter system failure/replacemnt, dead water heater, dead washer, bad new washer install, sidewalk mudjacking, kitchen faucet shooting water, jetted bathtub raining into basement, cranky dishwahers, sump pump failure, basement floor drain backups, slippery-when-wet porch tile job, countless little leaks in faucets, pipes and drains now and then, and oh yeah, the big ticket: a complete rebuild of 2 central skylite domed towers and rpair of all the interior water damage. There is probably more I am repressing. It just seems relentless. And always WATER related.

Today the water softener repair guy finally came out for a repair - yay, no more sopping up that water three times a day in the basement. But no sooner had he left and I'm there racing to ready for belly dancing class (quit laughing, I'm trying to make peace with my menopausal pelvis), when a toilet starts spewing water.

I will likely fix the toilet tomorrow. Again. I can fix all kinds of minor plumbing events, LOL. But I'm tired of it. BTW we badly need to remodel a bathroom, but it kinda scares me.

Tonight I am asking for suggestions on removing the curse. A Native American friend did a smudging with sweetgrass. Nothing. I'm thinking maybe feng shui? I could have a priest I know over for dinner again, but it might offend him to ask for an exorcism.

Maybe I'm thinking crazy and this is just normal maintenance stuff. 18 year old house, planned obsolescence and all. But why only the water stuff? Doesn't it sound like a curse? Or one serious chi issue. Or something.

Solutions??

Comments (29)

• bob411
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Does your house have a personal relationship with the Lord?

• oofasis
    16 years ago

Celtic -
    We, too, have had major water issues -- not just with our current home, but in all five houses we've lived in. I've got a litany of our own, could write as much as you did in your post. I just live with my fingers crossed (lapsed Catholic that I am). I mean, ya can't plan for most of that stuff. Frustrating, isn't it? To say nothing of a PITA.

Like the baby bib says, Spit Happens.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I started this thread yesterday. I fear it p o'd the sprites or demons or leprochauns or whatever is responsible.

Was caught in a blinding rainstorm out of nowhere late yesterday (sunny forecast). Today the garden hose spigot attacked me and the water heater is now leaking/dying. Again.

Sigh. I'm having Stephen King thoughts...

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Found and fixed leak under kitchen sink today.

This is getting old.

• 3katz4me
    16 years ago

WOW - I thought I had problems with a few roof leaks, a couple windows and a faucet and toilet here and there. Nothing compared with what you describe Celtic.....yikes...

• mitchdesj
    16 years ago

sherilynn, what exactly do you mean; be positive and pray ? I agree with that.

Water is a homeowner's worst enemy; I too battled many water problems, one by one; now I've fixed everything.

A feng shui expert told me my house was "crying"; the former owner perhaps ?
    she should have been laughing all the way to the bank lol.

good luck in fixing your water works !! I have a 18 year old toilet to replace, it's crying also.

• bob411
    16 years ago

Sherilynn mentioned a van, that reminded me of a POS car I owned a long time ago. Every time I washed it, it would break down. It sensed my weakness. You have to show this house who's boss. I'd start with not doing the dishes that are in the sink right now. Then go outside, get a hand full of dirt, and sprinkle it around, vowing to never vacuum again.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Bob411, LOL, I like your thinking! I'm also leaving that laundry right where it is. TAKE THAT, YOU WATER SPRITES! HA!

Sheri, on a more serious note, I am touched that you would take the time to write and make such a kind offer to help. Believe me, things in my life have tested my faith profoundly and this water problem is a mere annoyance by comparison. Be assured I know my path just as you sound as you have found yours. I am happy for you on that, and thank you sincerely for caring.

We do all seem in agreement that there may be a bad energy of some sort at work here**************WHOA!! Exactly as I typed the words 'bad energy of some sort at work here" I could hear the sump pump pumping out water outside the open window where I am sitting. But it hasn't rained here in a couple days!!!! What is that all about?? Giving myself the creeps here.

• pecanpie
    16 years ago

Celticmoon, do you have REALLY high water pressure in your neighborhood? Could this be a factor in your water issues?

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Not really pecanpie. And that wouldn't really account for the drains, gutters, skylights...

Nothing today really, except that blinding rain on the freeway for a bit this morning that had me a little nervous.

• jerzeegirl
    16 years ago

Wow, celticmoon, sorry to hear about your domestic Waterworld. If you feel your house is cursed, maybe some Sicilian witchcraft is in order. Buy a new broom and sweep your house clean; this is supposed to sweep away the evil spirits. Then, sprinkle salt into the four corners of your house to purify it. (This was my grandmother's technique.)

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Jerzee girl. I'm gonna give that a go. Salt and a broom is cheaper than a shaman or a feng shui practitioner.

Today the water sprites are quiet again, but a newly installed light bulb just blew. Twice. Hmmmm.

• sweeby
    16 years ago

Ever see the movie Practical Magic where the witches have the neighbors over for an I-don't-know-what-to-call-it? Great scene that turned into a fabulous party.

That's what you need - A GardenWeb house-blessing purifying water-sprite-banishment ceremony/party!

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

Hi Celticmoon, I've also had my share of water problems, and on a new-construction house too. Let's see if I can remember what all went wrong. Nail in pipe to the master shower, resulting in gallons of water soaking brand new carpet. Required ripping out drywall and fixing the plumbing. Kinked pipe where it came up from the slab, causing slow leak. Plumbers initially thought it was a badly seated toilet. Required ripping out hardwood, cabinets, drywall, and framing, and re-routing the pipe through the attic. Washing machine drain hose popped out, causing a minor flood. There was actually a drain pipe in the floor for emergencies, but the plumbers had left the pipe just a smidgen higher than the tile, so the water flowed around it and into the house. A few months later the machine sprung another leak, causing another minor flood (that was when I discovered the drain pipe was too high).

Five leaking french doors. Leaking irrigation system flooding the yard. Leaking plumbing fixtures outside the house. Leaking overflow valve for the fire sprinkler system. Ironically, the only thing that never leaked was the pool.

It was all so comical I started a little diary to keep track, which I posted on a couple forums, did you ever read it?

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yes, chiefneil, I've read some of your saga. Just tell me: did it end happily or is it still ongoing?

Quiet here a couple days, then today more water in the basement. Streaming out above (and into) the furnace, seems to be coming from the AC which we fired up today.

Huh. I hadn't even viewed the HVAC system as a potential water problem area.... ugh. This could be pricey.

• chiefneil
    16 years ago

Celticmoon, everything did eventually settle down. Got a new washer/dryer, found a competent door repair guy, etc. Your problem might not be major - A/C units have a drain pan to catch condensation, and a pipe runs from the pan to outside the house to drain it off. It's possible that the pan or pipe is simply clogged with debris and overflowing. Just send DH up to have a look and see what's going on.

Oh, there are typically two drains for the a/c on the outside of the house. There'll be a low one around ankle-height, which is the one where the condensation should be dripping from. There's a second higher one, above head height, that only comes into play when the main one is clogged. If you go look for them outside they might give you a clue as to what's going on.

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Chief!

I will explore the drains. The AC unit itself is outside at ground level. The water was downstairs streaming out of a little hole above the basement furnace where the A/C ties in. Just above a hose that I guess should be, but maybe isn't, draining. And there is another outlet hose ankle high as well.

I'm calling the HVAC guys tomorrow. Not sure what damage there may be from the water running down into the furnace for however long. Furnace is overdue for a check up anyway...

• celticmoon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

ChiefNeil, a followup to let you know you were exactly right on the blocked AC condensation tube. Pleased to have learned how to remove and clean out the tubing end. (bad news is the furnace has a year ot two left..)

Since you are on a roll, any thoughts on the overall water issue. A chant or offering perhaps?

• outonalimb_2007
    16 years ago

Burn a bundle of sage leaves. Purifies the house, may drive out your unwelcome water sprite. Only half kidding.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

Well, in the beginning, it did rain for 40 days and 40 nights~your rain is just in the form of leaks. Maybe you're closer to God and don't realize it. LOL ;o)

• antiquesilver
    16 years ago

Find the original plumber & offer him as a human sacrifice to the water gods! It can't hurt - well, the plumber might not agree.

• brownhairisawesome
    11 years ago

I came here looking to see if anyone has a water issue and hey i found it.

I don't have a house but i rent an apartment that i have had for 19 years.

i never have issues with my home ONLY after my ex and i go through one of our separation things.

i know that she's into that voodoo stuff. I think that she has placed some kind of jinx on my home until i except her back into my life.

i have water coming from every direction. from the toilets, dishwasher wont drain kitchen sink clogged. bathroom sink clogged causing floods, major accidental spills that cause leaks to go down to the apartment below me.

its just never ending.

I don't talk about this to anyone except one person in fear of looking really out there, lol. but this is what i think.

you got to stay positive, don't let this get to you. take one leak at a time and yes pray. i like to pray to saint Micheal. he's the angel to protect you and you family and home etc...

I wont be beaten. it will pass.

hugs and keep you chin up.

• jterrilynn
    11 years ago

Well maybe your house is atop a burial ground of a respected ole time Dowser. So, here's what you do...you need to exorcist its power away from your home by bending a metal angled rod to the left (the opposite direction) while at the same time burning a forked twig from a witch hazel tree. Lol, sorry! I have lived in houses where it was always one thing after another. It does seem like a curse sometimes.

• lascatx
    11 years ago

I wonder if your house had my plumber -- or at least a cousin. Hope things have calmed down for you, but I understand the feeling of one thing after another and fearing what's next.

Had I known ten years ago what I know now, I would have pulled all the sheetrock in my house and run new plumbing. But that still wouldn't have found or fixed the section of main drain line that was under the slab -- neither end of it secured to anything. Just lying there. Leaking. Filling in with dirt. Waiting to back up sewage into our bathtub and shower. Just managed to stop it before it ran onto the floor and into our carpeted closet. Was apparently left that way by the original plumber and took nearly 19 years to create a blockage that couldn't be cleared by more conventional methods and led us to ripping out cabinets and jack hammering the slab to find it.

This summer, several years later, I walked into our bedroom and heard water running in the bathroom. But DH was sleeping in the bed. I turned on the light and saw sewage coming from the ceiling. Fortunately, it fell mostly into my tub. My brother was in town, so the next morning, we started ripping out sheetrock and discovered that the plumber had run the water heater overflow into the main drain line by installing a T junction just past the toilet -- where any paper or solids could catch and create clogs -- then backing up into the water heater pan. The toilet had clogged and my DB and SIL had plunged it. The pressure caused the muck to come out through the junctions in the pipe and through my ceiling. We also found a leak at the upstairs tub drain while we had the ceiling open.

When we did our kitchen, we knew we had a leak in the wall behind my pantry and had turned off the water at the sink above until we ripped things out to fix it. While we had that wall and the ceiling open, we found 3 or 4 more "minor" leaks waiting to create major problems.

I am not considering the expense of installing tankless water heaters so I don't have a tank to flood. Won't eliminate all the issues, but I still like the idea. My water heaters are 10 years old, so the time is coming to replace anyway. Might as well invest in staying here. The sales disclosures will require us to list all these things and I'm afraid no one would ever buy the house.

• Renee
    5 years ago

We purchased a home in 2015 that has had water issues. The very first night, in fact, I went to take a hot shower and the water heater failed. Irrigation leak the very first week -- before we even moved in. Why would that rear zone even be on a timer?? New $20K roof leaked into the living room, bleach leaked from the bottle (wtf??), ice machine tube came undone and flooded the downstairs bedroom. Redid all the drainage to conform with the city's new code. New gutters. Leak in the second downstairs bedroom. Leak in the unfinished basement. New washer installed incorrectly. Chimney rain pan/shroud (3 new ones totaling approx. $3K) NOT MEASURED CORRECTLY BY THE CHIMNEY COMPANY. I had a priest come to bless the house and also did a herb ceremony and a sage smudge ceremony. Refrig in the garage leaks off and on. Shower drips once every few months into the basement. Something just feels "off".

• Tamara Brixton
    4 years ago

So, how did it go, OP? Have you asked for help or managed to figure it out alone?

• Tracy
    3 years ago

Had the same issue with a house that my husband's first wife died in. Mom saw her ghost when she had Dementia. Kept asking who the brunette women was. That house has SO many water leaks that were constantly fixed correctly. But something would happen and the floor was coming out AGAIN.

• llama_lover
    3 years ago

Was looking to see if anyone else had water leaks everywhere they go. I believe someone has cursed me with water. Taps and toilets leak, I seem to regularly change taps. My roof has leaked for 8 years, i have had it replaced a few times but it still leaks. 2 weeks ago I paid $24,000 for a new better roof and guess what, it still leaks. I have had a flood in the basement, water dripping through light fixtures. In the house I was in before (6 month rental) a pipe burst and flooded the basement and the rook was leaking too. I went to Vegas and the jacuzzi above our room leaked and soaked our room. Got a nice upgrade 👌. Everywhere I go there are leaks, I don't know how much more I can take. Please help, I think I'm cursed. ☹