Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary_228

Tipping the Hairdresser who does hair in her home

mary_228
17 years ago

I got my hair cut and colored today in a hairdresser's salon area in her basement. The price was $95, about the same as what I'd pay in the salon I usually use.

My mother always told me that you don't tip the owner of a salon because they obviously get the whole fee. While I imagine they like tips as much as the next person, I think there is probably some truth in her rationale.

Would you tip in this situation?

Comments (9)

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

Mary, I would not. However, every so often I would bring her something- a jar of homemade soup or fresh bread- for instance.

Just my take on it.

• blsdgal
    17 years ago

I pay 55 bucks for cut and color.

DD lives in Chicago and pays over 100. for the same thing. So, she gets her hair done at home when she visits.

I tip my gal 3 bucks--She owns the shop. But, her prices are so cheap that I don't mind.

How much do you all pay for a pedicure?

• sue36
    17 years ago

I tip 15% no matter who cuts it (owner or employee). It seems awkward otherwise. Plus she needs to tip out to the person who does the wash. I used to pay $90 for a cut, but the new place I go is less, $45 I think?. No color.

I pay $40 for a pedicure, plus tip (sometimes 20%, depending on how bad the tootsies are).

This is Boston.

• pecanpie
    17 years ago

Mary, does she have someone do the wash? If so then I would tip the helper.

Pedicure- $25 plus a 20% tip.

• mrsmarv
    17 years ago

My hairdresser owns the shop and charges me $32.00 for a wash, cut and (sometimes) blow dry...I don't like blow-drying unless it's frigid out and my hair would otherwise freeze ;o) I always give her a tip ($6.00), because she's an absloute doll, takes her time, is extremely attentive, and does not take phone calls or succumbs to distractions while she's with me. And that's a biggie for me...my old hairdresser would do everything but pay attention....talked on the phone, talked non-stop to other customers while I was in the chair, etc. Good service rates in my book ;o)

• mary_228
    Original Author
    17 years ago

There was noone to do the wash. She had also scheduled another client whose color she applied while mine was processing. It was a little awkward to have someone else in the tiny space because conversations had to be shared since they could obviously be overheard. So I guess, given the setting, I would have liked a better price. Be that as it may, I just wondered what is generally done in this situation.

• cbarkston
    17 years ago

Since she is the "shop" owner, it's not necessary to tip her. And, since she works out of her home, not only is she not paying employees, but she doesn't have rent or additional utilities to pay. That said, however, I know that a more generous tipper is often treated better. She probably isn't expecting a huge tip, but would appreciate at least a small one...The idea of bringing her home made pickles or fresh baked bread is a nice one...

• HU-718398470
    5 months ago

She did your hair as a stylist and tipping isnt generally decided by who owns the business but by percentage or appreciation.

Ive never understood that whole take on not tipping the owner. i jist always tip whoever provided the service.

as far as it being from her home. I can see thr point that her overhead is cheaper but does that mean that in a retail space if the landlord gave her a break on the rent that the customers should also see that break in their cost?

if the work is good and thats what you are paying for it doesnt seem fair to me to not tip for any reason except not being satisfied and if the work she does is good and how you like it who is anyone to say what she can charge? she can charge what she feels like her work is worth and what her clients think its worth . 🤷‍♀️. just my thoughts.

i can totally see both sides of the coin

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath