Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
koala_em

*Mojo Magic* Part 4 Reclaiming YOU

koala_em
17 years ago

Thanks Sweeby! I am delighted to start this new thread.

I am glad you find my story inspiring.

Thought I'd start this thread by sharing some of my favourite motivational phrases. It is often when motivation wanes that I draw on these to find that missing zing I need.

"You can't do everything, but you can always do something."

WHY: it reminds me that I am not a super woman, but equally that something done is better than nothing done. If time is tight and I am juggling life I choose to adjust my lens and accept that less than perfect is better than not at all. (Celtic- this is why I like your Wabi Sabi link so much!)

"Be all you can be, all your gifts use them all, and see gifts in others and help them to grow."

(This was one of the lines my son contributed to the school song he helped author.)

WHY: reminds me that each of us have our own range of gifts and it is up to me not only to strive to realise my own potential but to support others to find and realise their potential. It also reminds me that I had instilled this value into my then primary aged son.

What phrases motivate you? Why?

Em

Comments (144)

• koala_em
    Original Author
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Nancy,
    I got to have a date with my DH too. The children took and extra karate class on Friday night so DH and I went to the shops and had a coffee childfree! It was great... except when the TKO part took off and we ended up checking out new saucepans for our future cooktop! Crazy, yet alot more pleasant looking at such things without the chorus of 'I'm bored'.
    Weightwise: the weight I lost while sick is still off- but alas I think I am coming down sick again! Had slightly sore throat, tender tummy and worst of all aching back in the kidney area (I am truely praying it is not a kidney infection).
    I am maintaining and happy for the first time in many years.

Anyone else started their Christmas shopping? I have a few items already tucked away for my neice. But that's about it. My own children aren't so lucky yet!

Em

• pirula
    17 years ago

Sigh, sorry I've been gone so long guys. House and child starting school has been all consuming.

I also haven't been doing well healthwise. Went on Thyroid medication. Not as tired anymore, nails better. Still freezing all the time, still FAT (and getting fatter), still having some anxiety attacks (but way less and much less severe). So it is working, but I don't think it's enough. The GP tells me my blood work is great and that that is all I need. But I don't buy it. a) I'm not completely well, and I can't lose weight. b) he's old and semi retired and I don't think he's up to speed on the lated thyroid info.

So, I'm getting a second opinion with an GYN here who is famous for her knowledge of thyroid issues and other hormonal issues. This woman has come so highly recommended, I'm looking forward to meeting her and working with her. I couldn't get in till November 14th though.

SO please forgive me for not chiming in. I'm just not up to it right now. But I am SO PROUD of all of you!

Love,
    Ivette

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

p.s. just looking at the title of this thread made me tear up.

• pirula
    17 years ago

Happy Birthday to youuuuuu.....

Happy Birthday to YOUUUUUUU....

Happy BIRTHDAY dearrrr FlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyLeeeeeeeeeeeft....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOO YOUUUUUUUUU-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(if that doesn't cheer you up, nothing will.)

Love,
    the "other" mojo-less one.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLYLEFT!!!

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

Awww, thanks, Ivette...a big hug to you. I could practically hear you singing; it did cheer me up :)

I am sorry to hear of your delays getting treatment. It always amazes me when people say "see *a* doctor", as if they all know the same things, have the same abilities and intelligence and are just interchangeable cogs. Or if they see *a* doctor and *the* doctor tells them they are just imagining things, etc...so they give up and suffer. It matters a lot *which* doctor you see, sometimes the difference between life and death (not in your case, but the difference will still be significant, it sounds). I forget--what are you doing to try to lose weight? The *only* thing that works for me is Zone and exercise. Even so it is increasingly hard to get it to stay off. I hope this new doctor lives up to her reputation and can make some progress happen for you.

• pirula
    17 years ago

sigh Flyleft, at the moment I am doing SQUAT. It's just too discouraging to try, and continually fail.

The only thing that works for ME is exercise. Period. but it does work, and keeps me thin (been thin most of my life).

Ivette

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Ivette - nice to hear from you but so sorry to hear you are struggling with this thyroid thing - that has to be SO frustrating. I'm glad you are getting another opinion. I've had a few medical things to deal with and I've learned through experience that doctors vary widely in their knowledge - which is understandable since there is so much to know. I'm relentless though in my pursuit of satisfaction and the highest quality care - quite seriously I don't think I'd be alive today if I hadn't been that way. Hopefully you will get better results with the new doc. And how exciting you are going to be getting a golden puppy!! There's gotta' be some mojo in that, isn't there?

And fly - good to hear from you but I'm sad to hear you are in a funk. Is the DD/DH situation likely to change soon - it sounds like a difficult situation and something that will take a toll on you if you can't take care of yourself. HUGS and Happy Birthday wishes too you!! Hang in there!

• pirula
    17 years ago

Thanks gibby!

Uhhh, what DD/DH situation? What am I missing? Does flyleft need my sage and invaluable advice on something????

:)
    Ivette

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

gibby, thanks very much...I *think* I've finally gotten through to DH not to respond to DD's proddings--I swear it's like a couple of siblings sometimes, which is something DD doesn't have and maybe she's trying to recreate sibling rivalry or something? But I've read that a daughter's relationship with her father is a major determininant of how she fares with men in romantic relationships, so I'm really wanting this to work itself out and SOON. I do most of the "thinking about parenting", as it were, in this family. I've done the research, stayed up all hours second-guessing myself, had the major heart-to-hearts, been with her full time, ake the lead on educational decisions, etc...DH works very long hours and I think DD may just be trying to have *a* relationship with him, iykwim, but it needs to be a positive one. Which is his job, which means he needs to think things through and not just react knee-jerk. Has anyone else felt like they're the lead singer and DH is the backup, singing harmony and fills? It's tiring. Any sage and invaluable advice would be most appreciated, Ivette.

But another insight into why seems to be appearing, from little physical hints I notice...I think my dear baby daughter is beginning to head into the long wonderful tunnel called puberty! I have to say, she's a great communicator at least with me so I hope we'll be able to weather the changes far better than my family did with me LOL...

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Hi folks,

I don't come by here too often any more--probably because I'm feeling guilty about slipping off the Mojo train and rolling back downhill. I baked an apple honeycake for Rosh Hashana, and that seems to have triggered an even more precipitous decline. Resolutions are out the window, and bingeing is an everyday occurrence. Ugh! I'm so disgusted with myself, especially because I had several good months of staying on the straight-and-narrow. What happened to those good Mojo vibes? I think I can blame my painkiller med for a large part of the problem. I have been feeling like a zombie every day: fuzzyheaded, headachy, lethargic, insomniac, nauseous (and food seems to settle my stomach, so I eat MORE when I don't feel well). Finally, after 3-1/2 months of this, I went back to the doctor Tuesday and asked him for help in withdrawing from the medicine. He thought the adverse effects might dose-related, so he reduced the dose. In the past few days, I've started feeling a bit more like my old self again, although not completely. I do hope I can feel well enough to get out and take my daily walks again; I've gone only a few times in the past month or two. Anyway, I need to be clear-headed for my freelance editing job, so if the reduced dose doesn't work, I'm definitely going to taper off and quit the medicine. I'd rather have the back pain.

Flyleft, I wanted to respond to your last comment. I don't know how old your daughter is, but I remember that, during my entire year of being a 13-year-old, I never finished dinner with my family; I always stomped off, in tears, after a blow-up with my father. I thought then, and believe now, that puberty was to blame for our constant clashing. He was a very loving father, and we grew closer again after that year. To this day, I don't know why we blew up at each other, but I do remember being newly aware of my physical appearance (I was too fat, even then), wanting to fit in socially with my friends, pressure to achieve academically, and all the usual angst of being a teenager. I also think that, at that age, I began challenging my father's statements when I disagreed with him; my boldness was part of my developing autonomy as an individual. But Dad had a short fuse and wanted to be King of the household; in his era, no backtalk was permitted. Somehow, we got through it, and by the next year, we had again achieved a loving relationship, perhaps because I learned to keep my controversial opinions to myself a bit more. That was my mother's influence. She wanted me to avoid confrontations, whereas I felt that keeping silent was intellectually dishonest. But I guess I eventually learned to chart a middle path.

Somehow, my own daughter seemed to avoid those blow-ups with her father, but I remember her age 13 as being a pretty tense year, too. I'm not sure there's much you can do to help your DD through it, except to reassure her that her Daddy loves her, her feelings are normal, and she'll get through it.

Ivette, I've been worrying about you and your health, and your DH's, too. I remember there was a scare a month or two ago; is he OK now? As for you, it sounds like you're going through a health siege similar to mine (for different reasons). It's hard to exercise (or diet) when you don't feel well. When you're feeling lousy, you just want to comfort yourself; when you're feeling anxiety, you want to calm yourself. And, for most of us on this thread, "comfort" unfortunately means "comfort food." All we can do is hang on and hope for better times, with better success in the future.

Sue

• awm03
    17 years ago

Anybody else think our blahs are also related to the approach of fall? Shorter daylight hours, cool rainy weather, less outdoor time... I've definitely had carb cravings this month. All those newspaper articles on apple pies & pumpkin breads aren't helping any either!

Instead of making a pie, I'll can apple slices, applesauce with Splenda, & apple butter (my youngest's favorite). That's an autumnal thing to do that won't blow the calorie budget if I sample & taste. Canning always makes me happy.

I know we run the gamut of religions (& non-religion) here, so I hope nobody minds if I include the Mojo Club in my rosary intentions. Just think of it as positive vibes being sent your way! Praying for your health, happiness, & energy.

• pirula
    17 years ago

Flyleft,

I'm still not clear on what the dealio is between your DH and your DD. But I'll tell you this much, for what it's worth. My father and I, to this day, cannot be together more than say four days, without getting into a fight. It's usually over something stupid. But we have just always butted heads. It was much worse as a kid, WAY worse when I was in college. It's gotten so much better, but DH jokes "HEY!! Four days! THat's a new record!" And Dad and I both just laugh.

My relationship with DH is NOTHING WHATSOEVER like what I have with my Dad. And, my sometimes volatile relationship with my Dad has no bearing on how much I love him. My mother was the one I talked things out with, not my Dad. But he is a wonderful father, always was. I know that, I recognize it. Always did, even when I wanted to flush him down the toilet, which was pretty often.

So, there you go. Totally useless, sage and invaluable advice.

Ivette

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

I'm glad people are checking back in even though some situations have changed course. I don't think taking care of yourself in whatever way you need to right now is entirely off the mojo track. Everyone has ups and downs - maybe the rest of the group can provide some moral support or just "listen". I'm wondering about Sweeby.....

• mtnester
    17 years ago

Just a fast note to awm: I know the forum's rules about religion, and I think they're wise, for the most part. But I am going through some major changes in my own spiritual life and observances this year (even this week, as we speak), and I appreciate your words, even though we are of different faiths. I see this as a Mojo thing, too. I'm breaking out of the past, changing my way of looking at things, and trying to develop myself into a better person (at the ripe old age of 61, I'm not sure what I'll be when I grow up...but I'm amazed and happy to see that it's not too late to grow and change!). From my perspective, this is the beginning of a new year. So, in that spirit, I wish all of you a new burst of energy and success at getting back on course. As Gibby says, we all have ups and downs. Let's forgive ourselves, and get going again!

Sue

• pirula
    17 years ago

mtnester: I just NOW noticed you asked about my DH. Aren't you the sweetest!!! Thank you!

He's quite well. We're not sure yet what the heck is going on. He does have some calcification in his testicles, which is definitely not normal behavior. However the hotshot urologist (who is supposedly THE THE around here) assures DH that the connection of calcifications to testicular cancer is extremely controversial. Nonetheless, DH has to be watched as follows: sonograms every three months for the next two years, then semi-annually after that. If nothing changes, all is well. If anything does change, they nip it in the bud.

So on the one hand, it is kind of scary, but on the other hand it's very similar to me and my (okay, MAJOR personal secret revealing here) HPV and one bad pap almost ten years ago. Had a LEEP and haven't had a problem again, but I basically CANNOT under ANY circumstances ever miss a PAP test in my life, period. So, I watch it, it's under control. In a lot of ways, you could almost think of it as a positive, a blessing. Knowing in advance that you may have a higher risk for a particular type of cancer, so you watch yourself like a hawk and catch it early if you do get it.

Trying to think positively. And I cannot BELIEVE I just revealed the HPV thing, but what the hell. It's important stuff, and so many lives could be saved by having PAP's annually and knowing if you are one of the huge percentage of women who are infected with HPV virus.

Okay, anyway, thanks for asking SO much. That's where we are now.

I am going on a MAJOR crash diet and aerobic exercise program for the next month. I don't care how unhealthy it is. I have a wedding in Puerto Rico in November, black tie. NO discussion, I don't want to hear it! I'll be healthy afterwards. :)

Ivette

• awm03
    17 years ago

Thanks for the thoughtful words Sue. Yes, the forum's religion policy is understandable, though personally I don't think a casual mention of one's own religion (or even lack thereof) once in a blue moon is objectional. We all know our Mojo group is a diverse one -- we all bring something good & different to the table. Just wanted the group to know that when doing my "meditative exercise for positive change" that I'm thinking of you all with good will.

Yes, I'm needing spiritual cultivation lately too. Waaaay overdue for a tune-up.

Pirula, it is SOOO good to see you posting again! I've missed you :)

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

mtnester & Ivette, I really appreciate your thoughts on this issue we have going on here...you wouldn't believe how much I've depended on them the last couple of days (I couldn't post without one of them seeing it--and I don't know how long I have before I have to click this one off the screen, so it may go at any time LOL) You give me hope that maybe it will work out and she won't throw herself at a man who's bad for her and end up abandoned and dishonored, selling flowers in the alley...

and awm, I'm all for non-exclusive spiritual reinforcement...as long as one group doesn't say theirs is the only way, I'm fine with it :) When my daughter was born with an apgar of 2, then 2 again, I had most of a Catholic convent *and* an AME ladies' emergency prayer circle going for her; I was pulling out all the stops...and you know what? it worked. No way of telling who had you-know-who's ear the best, or maybe it was the fact that Catholics and AME folks were praying *together* that made the difference :)

And side note: not to be a wet blanket, but you might want to investigate splenda's side effects...I was bummed when I found out but have stopped using it completely.

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Fly - here's more hope for your daughter's future relationships with men. My relationship with my father ranged from bad to non-existent. In spite of that I married a wonderful guy 28 years ago and we get along just great!!

• sweeby
    17 years ago

"I'm wondering about Sweeby....."

Thanks for asking Gibby - I'm back! Just slinking down in my little 'not accomplishing what I should be' corner... Though I finally did make it to a 25 pound loss today. Only 5 more to go...

Some catch up notes:

- Totally agree that the start of Fall has something to do with the recent spate of mojo blahs... Sleep more, eat more, nest... Now if I can only reframe my 'Fall' thoughts into brisk bike rides, raking leaves, coffee instead of cocoa?

- *A* doctor - NOT. It's so *the right* doctor. Great observation. My hormones have been messed up for the last 11 years -- basically, nver got right again after my youngest was born. I was always depressed and super-weepy, borderline irrational... The first two doctors I was able to drag myself to both dismissed me completely. (And you know how hard it is to drag yourself to a doctor when you're feeling that way?) Finally, a good friend set me up with her endocrinologist, and he was able to identify the problem and treat it. THANK YOU! It seems to be so hard for some doctors (hate to be sexist, but men especially) to actually believe us when we tell them we're not feeling right in some subtle way.

- So Fly, DD and DH are not getting along... It's tough having to be the continual peacemaker. Is your daughter mature enough to tell you why she's acting the way she is? Or is it as simple as a core personality difference?

Glad to be back --

• mtnester
    17 years ago

I just completed a 25-hour fast (for the first time in 40 years), and I'm feeling ready for a new beginning! And that goes for all the Mojo stuff, too. I'm feeling cleansed and ready for a fresh start. Tomorrow is a new day.

Ivette, I'm glad that both you and DH are mature enough to understand the importance of going for your periodic check-ups. The older I get, the more I realize that everybody has SOMEthing worrisome in their medical history or in their family's genetic endowment. But some people bury their heads in the sand and refuse to even get checked out for obvious signs and symptoms of problems or ignore their doctors' advice (I have somebody in particular in mind, whose initials are D.H.). Here's hoping that you two have many, many years of good health! And that is my wish for everyone else, too! I'm glad to see everybody coming back to post here. Let's stay in touch!

Sue

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Hey to all. I have missed you!! But instead of *being here* I've been slinking around in a post-summer/here comes the cold funk. Daylight definitely is an issue.

Nice to catch up. Flyleft, I feel for you. Sweeby, Gibby, Ivette - hang in there. Sue, I just did a bit of a fast (empathic to DH colonoscopy fasting)... didn't help me, but oyu sound recharged. Good for you!!

Today was 80 degrees (about 20-25 over normal), bright and sunny. What a gift. And still it took me hours to push myself to get out there.

Enjoyed it immensely once I did get on that bike!!

What is with us all??

Celtic

• pirula
    17 years ago

WOW! I must be the only one who is thrilled with the cool weather, is anticpating even cooler weather and loves the shorter days and longer nights. But then again, I am a night person.

Gee wiz, don't I feel like the odd ball. This is my favorite time of year!

LOL
    Ivette

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Ivette - you're not alone - I like it too - and I'm a night person as well! I'm not a big hot weather fan. Summer's nice when the temps are moderate but too much heat and humidity are oppressive to me. I like spring and fall - the leaves are getting really beautiful here now - not quite at their peak. I went on a different route for my walk last weekend that I thought might be especially nice - it was so pretty - took some pictures that are so picturesque. It really was breathtaking and I couldn't help thinking several times how fortunate I am to be able to experience this. We live in a private community with these amazing trails through the woods and around several lakes - just awesome.

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

Ivette, no comments on "healthy" dieting but aren't you looking pretty fabulous anyway??? On days I need inspiration I think of you & Lori & chant to myself Intervals, Intervals, Intervals... You've worked so hard for so long! Are you feeling less than fit?

Em, are you still amazed to reach that fabulous goal?

What a journey it is, in so many ways.

• pirula
    17 years ago

oh athome,

No sweetie, I pretty much look like crap. But so help me that will change!!!

I just gotta get motivated and find me a doctor who can really treat this thing effectively (hopefully have), and then get MOVING again.

Ivette

• koala_em
    Original Author
    17 years ago

athomein1914- it is good- especially now that I have dropped to a new smaller dress size. Sadly sometimes it all seems bitter sweet as the thinner I get the worse the saggy skin looks. Actually, that's one of the reasons I have been a bit quiet. I am feeling down in the dumps as we are hitting spring in Australia and I am facing a long hot summer where I feel too self conscious to wear short sleeved (let alone sleeveless) tops. : (
    We have just borrowed the $ for the bathroom and kitchen renos (yeah), so surgery is a LONG way off in the future (boo).

Sorry to be un mojo.
    But thanks for saying hi.
    Em

• sweeby
    17 years ago

Well, so you still gotta stay covered...
    At least you'll look fabulous with your clothes on! Your skin will thank you.

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

I guess many good things are bittersweet. Someone asked me if I was worried about sagging skin with my weight loss. I said I'm more worried about not being able to do the things I love or not being around to watch my daughter grow up, perhaps meet grandchildren.

I don't wish to make light of any issue but I look in the mirror, and at other women, and remind myself that aging and living our fullest just might not "look pretty!" But being around a little longer, staying as healthy as possible, feeling fit enough to take new risks and strong enough to keep growing all feel better than pretty looks. And really, maybe we need to redefine success. In some cultures the appearance of aging is desirable because elders are respected.

Wish I could say I'm completely immune to the adoration of youth (and its tight skin!) in our culture. But I do remind myself of what I'm getting for the price I'm paying, and it does help.

On a much less philosophical note, does anyone here cook with stevia rather than sugar? Any tips? I notice some are concerned with sugar substitutes but my understanding is that the herb stevia is actually good for us. Maybe I should post this on the Cooking Forum...

And Ivette, I'm pulling for you to hang in over there! I hope you're not losing too much ground, you've worked so hard.

• nayasabrina
    17 years ago

Hallooo out there! Where's everybody? Still in a season-changing funk? Me too!

BUT: I had my sinus surgery yesterday (some nerve, surgery on Friday the 13th) and it seems to have gone well. I won't know how well until all the packing is out in a few weeks. But this was a big Mojo item for me, not to continue suffering but to take action about something that has had a huge negative impact on my life for years. It's a long story, but it was so great to finally go to a doctor who listened to what I was saying, ordered the right tests and scans, and walked me through what could (and couldn't) be done. I'm off strenuous exercise for 4 weeks, but I can start walking Monday.

Naya

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Hi all - I've been on vacation for the last week so a bit out of touch. It's the first time I've gone for seven days without any real exercise since January and I didn't like it. We also stayed with friends much of the time and I graciously ate whatever meals they made but it was not exactly healthy - lots of eggs, bacon, whole milk, hamburger, etc. - stuff I never eat. I had a great time but not exercising and eating like that really made me feel seriously yucky. I was happy to get back to my normal diet and exercise routine.

Nayasabrina - good to hear you have made it through your surgery. Hope you will soon be feeling better than ever.

On the topic of sagging flesh - I have always thought when you're older you do look better if you're not too thin - plump faces of course have fewer wrinkles. I feel like I look older since I've lost weight as my face is thinner along with everything else. Oh well - I guess I'd rather be living a healthier lifestyle even if it means looking older. Hopefully I'll be able to do more, longer - even if I don't look good doing it.

• bungalowbees
    17 years ago

gibby3000, one of the ironies about losing weight & looking older for me is that, well, actually I AM getting older! I keep reminding myself that this is my goal!

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

re the sagging skin issue: I read recently in a magazine a local vitamin shop sends us (no, we're not steroid-popping bodybuilders, nor do we want to look like them :)) -- there was the story of one such bodybuilder who was insanely built up and when he decided to get back to normal looking he had to take it *really* slow, not lose too much weight too fast, in order to let his skin shrink back along with the rest of him rather than get the sags. Interesting that he handled his *debulking* as assiduously and carefully as he did his bulking up.

Just struck me in reference to your post, em.

I'm getting those jowly things on the sides of my chin, if misery is alleviated by company. No more turtlenecks for me...

But I color my hair (subtly, natural colors only, from natural foods market) and it helps me *feel* younger, at least...don't know if I'm fooling anyone.

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Oh yeah - I'm pretty no frills, au naturale - but for the hair. I invest in the hair - don't care if I'm fooling anyone else or not - I like it for my own sake. And DH likes it - at one point he actually suggested I ask for something other than the usual "barnwood grey" at my next hair salon appt.....

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

LOL, I got it all going on here: jowls, grey hair (since my 20's), whatever...haven't worn a turtle neck in years!!

I was at a follow up with my dermatologist this week (I've had skin cancer x3 already, no melanomas, yay). She started me on a Retinoid last month. Yikes, all the flaking and burning. I told DH I'd rather dunk my face in battery acid and just get it over with. That or a belt sander. But dang, my skin was looking about 10 years better with way fewer crusty patches, bumps and blotches. Still, she burned off bunches more precancerous lesions on my face. (I'll look like I got attacked with a lit cigaret for the next week.)

Sigh. She says all these lesions would "definitely" become cancer and I'll need to use a retinoid for "the rest of your life". Now she is considering laser. A little disturbing, as she has followed me for 15 years and never been this aggressive in treatment...

Course I'm thinking: hey, doc, while you are at it, you want to laser out some of these here wrinkles? Shameful.

Ladies, lather on that sunscreen or else!

• mahatmacat1
    17 years ago

celtic, you should definitely get some party favor wrinkle treatments, after all that! Geez, and I thought *I* had skin cancer issues! (so yours were basal cell or squamous?) I was offered a Renova prescription but honestly after reading what you say I don't think I could handle the mortification for however long it takes before my skin is reborn...how did you go out in public like that? Was there any way to cover it or did you just say "I'm here, I'm using Renova, get used to it" :)?

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Gee, I kind of like turtlenecks - am I going to have to give those up soon - how do I know when it's time?

Fly and Celtic - do you guys have a family history of skin cancer, over exposure to sun, ??? I'm concerned about DH who does have quite a family history of skin cancer, lots of moles, and trying to educate myself so I can educate him on what preventive measures he needs to take. He won't look into this himself but generally will follow my "medical" advice after I've provided it "enough" times.

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Gibby, you will know when it is time to ditch the turtlenecks. What the heck....where is my jaw line? Why are my Dad's jowls on my face?? That's just wrong!

Not sure of family history, but definitely had overexposure on my fragile Irish skin. In the 1950's I was one of 9 (unsupervised) kids oceanside in New England. Burn, baby, burn. Over and over.

Fly, both squamous and basal. Long as it isn't melanoma I'm grateful, right? I shouldn't scare you off the Renova idea. I had tried it a couple years ago and, eh. But now I think it is miraculous. (You know how you start one day to dab a bit o concealer on a spot? When it is necessary. Then a couple years later you're dabbing like, 30 or 40 places? LOL. I'm happy to flake a bit and see all those crusts and spots recede.) So do consider the Renova, but definitely ask for those bitsy sample tubes to give it a try. Schmear emollient creams on your face and the flaking isn't visible at all. It's not all red and raw = horror movie, like I imagine a harsh chemical peel would be. Just flaking off of the top layer with perfectly normal (but better) skin underneath. Pretty funny when you wake up though and look in a mirror, all sloughing ...

Try to get DH to let a dermatologist give him a look. Just a baseline. Early stuff is very treatable. And there's some freaky pictures of skin cancers on the web if scaring him might help.

Thanks for letting me vent. The burn spots are now starting to scab over. Now *that*, unlike the flaking, looks pretty bad!! But it is just for a couple days.

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

No that anyone cares but I just wanted to say I'm doing the turtleneck test today and I still pass.

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Gibby, you have a jawline?!

I'm so jealous... I love turtlenecks, especially dark ones. With skinny jeans. So Bohemian... (Sigh)

• awm03
    17 years ago

athome, I like your attitude.

Frankly, I don't care about baggy skin, wrinkles, jowls & gray hair as long as I'm fit, not fat, & in good health. It's not like I'm trying to attract anybody with beauty. Those days are over. Just as long as DH finds me attractive, but he seems to find me attractive no matter what. Bless his heart -- he used to tell me I was pretty back when I was 206 pounds.

Well, my weight loss seems to be stalling after 45 pounds. I feel like I could lose another 15, but we'll see. Maybe my body needs to recalibrate after losing 45 since January. What do you think, Em? Did this happen to you?

• koala_em
    Original Author
    17 years ago

awm- I lost the initial 2/3 of the weight... then it seemed that no matter what I did or ate it wouldn't budge. I got disheartened and my weight even crept up a little.
    I decided NO. I was going to keep going to the end. I started a new diet (it's a local Australian one) and started walking twice a day. The weight started dropping off me.
    When you lose weight you weigh less, so if you workout for the same time and intensity over a period of time you are working out less and less each time as your weight drops. If you increase the intensity and/or time you will find that the weight loss will kick start again.
    I did both. I started carrying hand weights, and doubled my workout time to 2 sessions a day. Even now I workout for at least 1 hr a day to maintain. If I want to lose I need to do more time or add weights again/ or perhaps jog for a bit then walk some more. Sometimes finding the time for more workouts is hard though.

Some research I did suggested that making the workout one long one would have less weightloss benefit that 2 shorter ones.

You can get off the plateau!

Em

• 3katz4me
    17 years ago

Does anyone else find fall yard work to be quite a workout - or does everyone else have a DH who does it? Last weekend I spent a full day clearing pine needles, etc. at our lake cabin. Today I spent all day clearing leaves and other debris at home. Both places are pretty heavily wooded so there is ALOT of stuff to clean up. I do it with a blower and my hands - I'm not even raking - which would probably bring on a coronary arrest!! Today I even got my heart rate up to the level I do when riding the exercise bike - albeit not for 30 mins. We do have a hilly lot so I guess that has something to do with it. Last weekend and today I decided seven hours of that was equivalent to a 40 min ride on the exercise bike so I skipped the bike. I think I'm getting too old for this - every joint in my body seems to be aching.....time for a hot bath.

How's everyone else doing?

• awm03
    17 years ago

Doing fine, gibby, thanks for asking. I have 2 new step videos that are going to be a real challenge (but I like challenges). The choreography in one is hard, so that will keep me busy trying to learn it. And both are very intense, beyond my current fitness level. So I have a good new fitness goal: to be able to do these videos. It will be nice to have another exercise option besides the elliptical trainer this winter .

Finally got off my plateau & dropped a couple of pounds. Took awhile to get comfortable with a lower calorie amount, but I think I can do it now.

Some stress factors have mitigated: #1 son has a part-time job, & #3 son (my ADD baby) seems to be doing okay at the local community college. I'm holding my breath that these little successes last.

And the rest of you? Hope all's well.

• koala_em
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Stress eating... but am hand hammering out floor tiles with a bolster so seem to be getting away with it!

Em

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Work is manageable, weight is right where I want it, hitting the Y 3x a week for a couple weeks now, face has healed pretty well....it is all good! Today I break out a sewing machine DH bought me 5 years ago and try to figure out how to use it. Should be interesting....

And the rest of you??

• koala_em
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well... mid reno!
    Bathroom, done.
    Floors... (nightmare)
    Kitchen, partially installed and without sink/cooking.

So, stressed and cranky. Exercising to keep up those endorphins.

Did I miss it..? what are you sewing celtic moon?
    Em

• celticmoon
    17 years ago

Hey Em. Just needed to hem some super worn comfy chino pants I got at the Goodwill for DH and DB for an upcoming trip (DB's 50th birthday). No jeans allowed at dinner there, and that is all DB owns. Wanted them broken-in comfortable, so new was out.

DH gifted me a sewing machine - in 1989 it appears. Never tried it until just now. Hardest part was finding the manual on the internet!!! Never sewed a stich in my life before this. LOL. The bar was pretty low: plenty more pants at the Goodwill if I screwed em up. And DH's plan was to just cut them with a scizzers! Shoot. They came out better than that!

Feeling pretty Mojo about rising to the challenge. Maybe I'll consider some curtains: been in this house 8 years. Probably time to settle in!

Rest of you all are pretty quiet...

• koala_em
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hey celtic- I am a 'bit' of a sewer and my tip based on experience is 'measure twice (or more!) cut once'. : )

Em

• namabafo
    17 years ago

hey mojo pals!

I've been MIA...got off the train for a stretch and missed it when it left the station...

I am trying to get back on....I've had a physical and lots of tests and I am perfectly healthy supposedly...no diabetes, no thyroid probs, no Lyme, No "female problems", low cholesterol, the lump in my neck went away...so why do I still feel only about 75% most of the time?? I *am* within inches of being diagnosed with glaucoma...my pressure has been high for years and though my fields test come out fine, my optic nerve is showing some thinning...I go to talk to the doc on Sep 28..

to top it off, at my last competition on Oct 8, I turned my left ankle pretty seriously. While I am fine to walk on it with no pain, any lateral movement still hurts a month later and there is often tingling up the outside of my leg.... I called my doc yesterday and they wee supposed to get back to me about heading over for x-rays...I am still waiting...

I think I will start to get back into upper body workouts, instead of just letting everything slide until my ankle feels better...

looking forward to a fresh start on Part 5....

Nancy

• awm03
    17 years ago

Hey, Nancy. Sorry about your ankle -- what bad luck. Hope it heals quickly. And congrats on your successful check up. So glad the lump in your neck disappeared.

Anybody have good plans for getting through the holidays? I will weigh myself daily (my usual routine, actually) and will throw out or donate to a food bank any edible gifts that aren't diet-friendly. The treats I make taste better than the commercially made stuff anyway. I hope I can practice judicious cookie & candy eating...like maybe 1 piece a day.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!