Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
*Mojo Magic* Part 4 Reclaiming YOU

Posted by koala_em (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 16, 06 at 23:59

Thanks Sweeby! I am delighted to start this new thread.
I am glad you find my story inspiring.

Thought I'd start this thread by sharing some of my favourite motivational phrases. It is often when motivation wanes that I draw on these to find that missing zing I need.

"You can't do everything, but you can always do something."

WHY: it reminds me that I am not a super woman, but equally that something done is better than nothing done. If time is tight and I am juggling life I choose to adjust my lens and accept that less than perfect is better than not at all. (Celtic- this is why I like your Wabi Sabi link so much!)

"Be all you can be, all your gifts use them all, and see gifts in others and help them to grow."

(This was one of the lines my son contributed to the school song he helped author.)
WHY: reminds me that each of us have our own range of gifts and it is up to me not only to strive to realise my own potential but to support others to find and realise their potential. It also reminds me that I had instilled this value into my then primary aged son.

What phrases motivate you? Why?

Em

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: *Mojo Magic* Part 4 Reclaiming YOU

My signature line over at John Bridge's forum: "Whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're probably right."

It all has to do with attitude.

o

For me, something that works because I tend to dream and envision a lot (too much sometimes, IMO) is "one foot in front of the other", or my favorite alternate phrasing, by my hero Myles Horton, "We make the road by walking."

o

Love both! They both reminded me of my two email signatures:
Bill- yours reminds me of this one:

What would you attempt to achieve if you believed it was impossible to fail?

Flyleft yours reminds me of the other:

Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice.
It is not a thing to be waited for, it a thing to be achieved. (William Jennings Bryan)

The latter is harded, especially at times when it feels that life is sending lemons- but it's how you react and move on that is the 'choice' part.

Flyleft- when I walk I envision that each step is one step closer to my goal weight and that each step is like rewinding past choices (eg overeating, not keeping fit, not being healthy).

Em

o

One of my personal favorites is...

''Nothing goes right when your underwear's tight.''

As one who has been on the side of tight underwear, I heartily agree. One of my goals today is to weed out the clothes that are too big, including underwear!

o

Thanks for starting the new version Em.

I finally thought of my favorite inspirational quote:
"What would you do if you weren't afraid?"

And on a positive note, I finally broke through my weight plateau! (4 weeks...) Now I'm going back into mojo mode -- lookout world!

o

I hope I'm not too late to join here! I've only lost about 10 lbs and have far to go, but it's a start ;)

I recently bought the soundtrack to the movie version of RENT and have been playing it nonstop. I'd forgotten how much I love the music. Two lines keep playing in my mind...

No day but today

and

Forget regret, or life is yours to miss

o

Went to the doctor today for a bug bite that's become infected. Their scale verifies that I've lost 37 pounds (the good news). But I weigh 6 pounds more than my scale shows (the bad news). So I started out at 206 last January & am now 169, though my scale says 163. Oh well. The doctor was so excited about my weight loss. Nice to get his pat on the back.

o

Hi everybody,

I haven't posted in a while, but I've been lurking, and I want to welcome the new folks who've joined our group. Welcome aboard!

Koala Em, you're inspiring, in more ways than one! Your positive attitude plays a huge part in your success. I know you'll reach your goal soon, but please hang around to prod the rest of us along.

As a few of you may remember, I was going through a lot of turmoil about a year ago. Without going into all the details...I remarked that I felt trapped, and somebody on the KF reminded me that I wasn't trapped unless I let myself be. Since then, I've adopted that as my mantra, and it applies to weight loss, too. I am NOT trapped in this too-fat body; I can make changes to become healthier and slimmer, and nothing can stop me, as long as I remain resolute. "I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul!"

My weight loss has gone slowly, especially since I had to stop exercising when my foot was infected, but I'm already weighing less than I did a year ago, and my clothes are fitting a lot better. Still no baggy pants, but I can wear clothes that didn't fit me in May.

Now that my foot has healed, I'm ready to go out walking again, but it's 100 degrees out, so I'll start next week, or whenever it cools down. I've done a few short walks (in mall, park, and airport), and I got tired quickly. Apparently, a few weeks of inactivity when I was hospitalized and on bed rest have caused me to lose all the muscle strength I'd gained from 3 months of daily walks. Well, I will just have to start all over again. Hopefully, it won't take as long this time to build up my stamina.

One of my new medications gives me a slight sensation of nausea and dizziness occasionally. Nevertheless, my doctor wants me to stay on it a while longer, because it has some very beneficial effects (less back pain). He said it tends to make people have less of an appetite. Well, then! I decided to accept it and stop fighting it. I'll use that lack of appetite to my advantage by eating smaller meals.

More Mojo to all!

Sue

o

MOJO MOJO MOJO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO GO GO!!!!!!! to you all!

claire de luna! that cracked me up! I love it!!!!!!

(((((((((((sweeby!!!)))))))))))))))) YOU GO!!!!!!!! you have left the town!!!!! Keep the medal to the metal!! You rock!!!!!
Love your quote too!!!!

goldgirl- you have made a great start! take the word 'only' out! 10lbs is 10lbs! Great feeling isn't it?
Love the quotes... make me think of Dr Phil (who I am addicted to...) "You're burning daylight"

awm- you must have felt so proud at the Dr's. Who cares if that scale is different? You are weighing in on yours, and it is your measure as that is the one you use regularly.

mynester- you sound like you are about to take on the world! I am so glad your foot is better. Could you try some crazy dancing at home to some boppy music? Just to get moving again? You can keep your foot stiller that way, and if you get dizzy... the couch will be handy!

At the moment I am keeping on track- but have got the monthy visitors so feel like there's a watermelon stuck in my belly! Working out, even JOGGED a little yesterday! But bad bit is since my weight loss I have baggy skin and it sort of moves about when I jog... ewwwww... gross!
Note to self: save for plastic surgery.

Em

o

Here's some intergenerational mojo: my 8 y.o. daughter has suddenly decided she wants to swim as far as I can, so now we've done 40 lengths together twice in the last three days and she's gunning for a mile in the near future...it's SO much fun to swim with her in the next lane. She's so inspiring, and what's especially thrilling is that it appears from her stamina that she *hasn't* inherited the mitral valve prolapse that is characteristic of my mom's side of my family. YAHOO!!!! That durn syndrome explains most of my medical history, and stood between me and a lot of things (like more athletics)...she is showing none of the signs I showed at her age and it makes me so thankful I want to cry whenever I think about it.

I love genetics sometimes :) (*not* always--so it's nice to get the good side of the odds once in a while)

So now I have a swimming buddy to keep me motivated :)

o

claire, here's the baggy-pants club version:

"Life's such a drag when your trousers sag" :)

Having had to buy new pairs of capris this summer since I out-shrank the "big pants" I'd gotten earlier, I can tell you it's NO FUN walking around in the 90 degree heat with baggy pants hanging off you.

o

So have you all been getting rid of your clothes as they become baggy?

o

goldgirl, I brazenly unloaded most of my back-up "big" clothes a while back. Everything loose, elastic waistbands, etc. Big step. Then kind of freaked when I lost my MoJo and thought I'd start gaining. But I'm over that. Holding at my 20 year low correct weight. And dressed. Whew.

I have a dear friend who is also losing weight and running a couple sizes behind me. So I have been able to pass on my very favorite things to her. Some stuff I'd had trouble parting with because it was so unique or expensive or comfy or otherwise special. She says she never throws anything away, and I just need to ask if I miss something. Doubt I ever will, but that made it easy to just let go. Plus it is fun that she is enjoying them so much.

Ordinary stuff my friend doesn't want - gone. Three more bags (DH's big stuff goes too) this morning off to Purple Heart....

o

Um, goldgirl, no...

I'm too scared. Pathetic.

I keep it around just in case. But I do take myself out to buy new stuff :) I also have a lot of stuff that I could wear even two or three years ago that I couldn't wear this spring--I had a rather alarming weight gain/hormonal thing happen. So I'm working my way back to those old clothes, but I do buy myself more current goodies every so often. And keep the old stuff around in case of emergency.

o

flyleft! your 8yo sounds so motivated and active! and with full health too... you must feel so blessed!
LOL- love the life's a drag when your trousers sag!

goldgirl- I kept the bigger clothes for a while- but they literally fall off- so basically there's no point keeping them. I was brave and tossed -about 6 garbage bags worth. I have kept one pair of pants as a 'reminder'.
IF (if!) I ever expand (noooooooooo )then I am sure I will feel pretty horrid and definately wouldn't need old out of style clothes to fit back into- that would feel too sad.

GETTING GOING DIARY:
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That bit of weight I just lost seems to be staying off! Now I just need to shift the rest!

Walked twice yesterday! LOVE walking! Healthy eating-Yummy!

WATER- H20... how can I drink more? I am a coffee/tea drinker (I know, I know... but it has no calories! and I do LOVE a cuppa!). But I seem to 'forget' my water...

What water drinking strategies that work for others? It's winter here.

Em

o

Here's my water drinking strategy that's working well at my house.

I bought the most beautiful pitcher I could find. (It's 1930's, very light pressed glass and it came with five glasses. I just ''happened'' to have a sixth that I collected about 20 years ago.) Every morning I slice fresh fruit (oranges are my current favorite) and layer the fruit with ice until the pitcher is full. (Sometimes I'll add Lemon Verbena which is very nice; other times I like lemons and limes.) I fill it with purified water and keep this going all day. I like this method because it's pretty, it's there and I'm lazy enough that I'll drink what's available. There's something about that pitcher of water every day that makes me feel that all's right with my world...

o

koala, one thing that makes me drink water more is if it's cold. I know that health-wise, we're supposed to drink it lukewarm, but I Just Can't. It's too boring. So if it's cold, I can somehow make it disappear. Are you doing that already?

o

Yeah you!!!!! Keep the mojo going!
Tell me, what type of workouts do you all do?

Claire- A pitcher... mmm I have a pitcher... those taste combinations sound very refreshing : ) That pitcher sounds gorgeous!
Flyleft- the prospect of luke warm water in the morning is not an appealing one is it? LOL!!
Do you think a cup of herbal tea could count as a water?

'CELEBRATING MY HEALTH' DIARY:
I have done BOTH my walks for today- 1 new different walk with more hills, and one to the local shop for supplies.
If DH is up for it I may even go on a third (but must admit it is quite cold here at the moment and the wind is up- so a night walk is not too appealing!!!)

Em

o

Is all the water *really* that important? I don't have a problem getting it all in, my problem is, um, at night - waking up all through the night to run for it, if you get my drift.

Do you 'cut off' the water at some point during the day to help this?!

Signed, Saturated in PA

o

Em, herbal tea would definitely count.

goldgirl, the water is important but I know what you're talking about. I stop drinking it really around 6. I generally have to get up once at night.

And re workouts: SWIMMIN', baby! :) Seriously, I love swimming so much, it's almost like an addiction. I LOVE just being in the water and reaching the end of a length of backstroke and then rather than just stopping, bringing my legs under me and arching as tight as I can and hanging in the water. It's like floating in space. It's also amazing because I learn something new about my stroke every time I go, pretty much (I watch the advanced kids lessons and learn what they're learning :)) My current challenge is alternate-side breathing. I grew up breathing only on one side in freestyle but the thing now is to breathe on both sides, maybe to see your competition on both sides--so I'm learning how to do it and my DH says I don't look *quite* as clumsy on the left side as I used to :) There's only one stroke I won't do, and that's full out butterfly. I'll do the kicks, but I won't do the arms. It just seems inappropriate for a woman of my age :)

I also racewalk; in fact, in response to my most recent melanoma removal (I try to be cavalier about it but it scares me incredibly that I grow these things on a regular basis--it's like having a sword hanging over my head), I'm walking in the Lance Armstrong Livestrong Challenge on the 30th. Anyone want to sponsor me, to support an effective organization? You can do it online...just thought I'd put a plug in there :)

And of course remodeling is a lot of strength workout...

o

flyleft, I don't know about lukewarm water...why is that? Would you enlighten me? I drink ice water because it burns more calories, and I need all the help I can get.

o

I have not disposed of my baggy pants. I generally keep my stuff around for quite awhile if it's relatively nice stuff. I can't part with it right away if I liked it to start with. This was a good strategy as I'm now wearing some of my favorite previously too small things.

I have been drinking alot more water since my "eipiphany". I used to think I didn't like water and I drank a fair amount of mineral water and diet soda at work during the day. Now I rarely do. We have a cold water dispenser and I fill up a giant deep ocean blue glass and keep drinking all day until I go home. I don't drink much water after I get home in the evening - maybe one bottle. I do have some other beverages - milk, maybe one bottled green tea drink or one of some other kind of sugar free soda. I don't like having to get up at night......

Does drinking alot of water make you feel more full and less hungry? It's either all the water or more fiber - fruits, vegies, whole grain snacks. I'm just not hungry, ravenous, craving junk food like I used to be. I don't even eat chocolate like I used to.

fly - that melanoma is scarey. Do you get checked by a dermatologist regularly? My husband's cousin (who is my age) was recently diagnosed with melanoma and I don't think it was exactly caught early. His father also had a few other types of skin cancer and his whole family seems cancer prone. He has lots of moles and stuff and I think he should go to a derm or someone for a baseline check. I don't see anything that looks like the melanoma photos I've seen but I'm no expert. Scarey stuff....

o

I am boosting my mojo: today is 'haircut day' ! YEAH!
Am about to go walking... planning on 2.

Melanoma is a BIG problem in Australia- we have lots of sun and a culture of tanning. Not me though, I burn like a crisp so avoid the sun and lather on sunscreen.

Gibby- I find the water does fill me. I read somewhere that as you age the 'need to drink' mechanism isn't as strong, and can be misinterpreted as hunger by people. So when I feel that snack urge I usually do drink some water.
I am glad flyleft thinks herbal tea would count... so much more drinkable in winter.

Em

o

I just got back from my hair cut!
My oh my it is ALOT shorter (at least 4" off) than what I thought I'd get when I left home. But the good bit is that it looks so funky n cool, and best of all (according to the hairdresser...) is easy to achieve. I did watch and am pretty sure I can do what she did.
It's a 'concave bob' apparently!

Feeling GOOD... GO MOJO! Plus I walked to the hair appointment- so my 2 walks are done!
Em

o

Mtnester, so now it's my turn to go into the hospital for an infection. Hope this doesn't become a Mojo Club thing :) My infected bug bite kept outpacing the oral antibiotic, so on the 2nd trip to the ER this week for an IV, the hospital kept me overnight for more aggressive IV treatment. I'm strep/staph/Lyme/gram-whatever free today.

You all would have laughed. Today I was feeling much better & getting tired of being a bed slug. So when DH visited, we did laps around the 9th floor & up & down six flights of stairs. The nursing staff kept giving us the strangest looks! But it felt good to get some exercise in for the first time in 4 days. And it's good to be home. Hope to get a little biking in tomorrow.

o

Awww, Awm, I'm sorry to hear that! When you mentioned the infected bug bite in your earlier post, I was a bit worried that it might be a tick bite, and you do need immediate antibiotics for that. I'm glad to hear that you bounced back so quickly. That must have been a sight to see: you doing laps around the hospital corridors in your hospital gown! ;-)

I still haven't gone outside for a walk. Although it's a few degrees cooler now, my foot is still very tender. I don't want to get gross in describing it, but let's just say that the bottom of my foot still needs to heal a bit more before I start pounding the pavement.

On the bright side, my social calendar is filling up. I have several upcoming lunches with old friends and former co-workers in the next few weeks. It will be so good to see them again. A friend in another city also invited me to see a special movie that is being shown all around the world on a particular day (a religious holiday), so we'll see it "together" in our own cities and then compare notes.

My genealogical research has really gathered steam in the past few weeks. I contacted a possible distant relative in another country, and we've been exchanging photos, documents, and information via email. We believe that our great-grandfathers were brothers or cousins. My new cousin has given me info that is helping to tie together the generations. There's still a lot to learn, but I feel that we're on the brink of a breakthrough.

I'm still trying to capitalize on my decreased appetite, but...it's starting to revive. :-( What do YOU do for a late-afternoon snack when it's too early for dinner but you've already been munching on fruits and veggies all day long? I've been going for a bit of peanut butter, but that's one of those "danger foods" that's hard for me to control. I used to have an instant soup, but they're too salty and calorific. Any good ideas?

Sue

o

I've got another quote that I'm trying to pound into my head --

"If the problem isn't hunger, then the answer isn't food."

Repeat as needed...

For a late afternoon snack, almonds are nice. Crunchy, a bit decadant. Yeah, and salty...

Having a major mojo challenge today trying to get the insurance company to agree to cover DS's post-exposure preventative rabies shots... Their red tape could prevent it from even being an option since he needs to receive the meds within a certain time frame, but not jumping through their hoops allows them to deny the claim altogether, leaving the $1,400 expense entirely to us. Can you spell FRUSTRATED?

Hope your feet heal quickly Sue & Awm. Such health dramas...

o

Sweeby- I LOVE that quote! So very very true!

HAPPY DANCE!
I have broken the back of my weight loss! The 'number' I could never seem to get under... today I was UNDER it!!!!
Man it feels so good!

So motivating!
Em

o

That's WONDERFUL Em! I love to hear great news like that!
And you've been working so hard -- You really deserve it!

o

MOJO DAY!!

It was exactly 1 year ago tomorrow that I resigned from my job of 24 years as a medical editor. I had intense burnout from stress and overwork, and that led to various psychological and medical problems. It has taken me a full year to recover emotionally and physically. Twice, my former supervisor asked me whether I was interested in freelancing for her, and I turned her down. I called this state of limbo "retirement" (although I'm waaaaay too young!), and I honestly didn't know whether I'd ever seek employment again.

Then, yesterday, that same former supervisor, who now works for a different company, asked me again whether I'd be willing to freelance. The assignment is a supplement for my "dream" journal: in exactly the same medical field I worked in before and like the best. And the pay is double the rate that my old company used to offer to freelancers! The task at hand is a difficult one, because it involves very heavy editing (actually a rewrite) of complex scientific manuscripts by non-English-speaking authors---but that is exactly what I've always loved to do! I plunged in this morning, and I'm having a ball! (I know, I know, I'm a strange bird who enjoys meticulous "detail work" that anybody else would call tedious and boring; for me, it's fun!)

So, MOJO family, I guess I am officially un-retired, as of today! As an independent contractor, I can work at home. Although I don't get fringe benefits, I don't have to commute or buy a new wardrobe or put on pantyhose. DH will be glad to see some extra income rolling in. I have a good relationship with my supervisor, and I know the new company's policies and procedures well, as I've dealt with them before. And, best of all, as a freelancer, I am FREE to say "NO" and to control the amount of work I will accept.

I'm really celebrating the fact that, when this job was offered to me, I immediately knew I was ready and wanted to do it. A real MOJO moment!

Sue

o

Good for you Sue!
I can feel the excitement coming through your words. They feel powerful and confident!

Mojo!!!! Mojo Magic!
Em

o

Sue! Congratulations, that must feel incredible. Waiting for the right situation and having it be exactly what you love...well, it doesn't get better than that. Not having to buy work clothes is the fringe benefit IMO!

Sweeby, that IS a good quote. I'm right there with the almonds; I've been choosing mine in the form of almond M&M's. A little chocolate never hurts, as long as it's just a little!

awm, hope you're feeling your best soon.

Em, good mojo! Congratulations on your big landmark moment; I know that's huge.

I found a big mug yesterday that fits in my car cup holder, and holds enough that if I drink two of them, it's my water requirement for the day. The best part it's insulated, and stays cold for up to 10 hours. I Love that; it's my new best friend.

o

Sue, how wonderful that this opportunity came your way! I'm glad it fits in so well with your desires & skills.

koala em, attagirl! Your persistance is paying off!

Sweeby, I'm sending angry Mojo vibes to your insurance company. How could they even think of denying coverage for something as serious as post-exposure rabies shots? Stupid people... Hope your son is okay.

CdL, how is your health these days? I loved your story about the pitcher of water. I love old china & glassware. The idea that somebody else got a lot a joy out of them, & that somebody after me will enjoy them too is appealing. Upon dieting, I bought some beautiful amethyst colored 16 oz. glasses (new) to entice me to drink more water. I love using them. They're just Libby, but Libby's a throwback to Depression glass days, when many a housewife would brighten their days by collecting pretty colored inexpensive glassware. Used housewares (I hesitate to call them antiques), Libby, Anchor Hocking, Homer Lauglin, Corningware, Betty Crocker catalog flatware -- these are things that make me feel tied to decades of Americana & history.

o
Question for you all

When does dedication become obsession?
When does careful dieting become pedantic?
When does working out become over the top rather than zealous?

I wonder at times if I may be crossing the line a bit... is that itself a cue? or is it that I am just very motivated and goal oriented?

Define crossing the line between keen and crazed in your opinion.

I did a 40 minute walk this morning, then tonight rode the stationary bike for 24.8 miles. Yesterday I did my 50 minute walk plus an 18.6 mile ride. The crazy bit is the urge I am fighting to get on and do another 10km (6.2 miles).

That said... be it keen or crazed it is working, those last few hard work kilos are shifting finally.
Em

o

Yeah, Em, I wonder about that too. In your case, you've had to work hard to lose a lot of weight and have become very concientious about calories & exercise. That's okay. Your weight loss success may be driving your urge to exercise, not the other way around. That's okay too. Finally, I think most exercisers/dieters go through periods where they exercise/diet more rigorously than usual, perhaps to achieve a weight loss goal, to bump up their fitness, or to get through a plateau.

But when you start letting the amount of exercise determine what & how much you eat, that's not okay. People who exercise obsessively see every spoonful of food as so many minutes of exercise. Are you at that point, do you think?

Admittedly, I monitor my calorie "obsession" for signs of overdoing it. I can see how anorexics get satisfaction out of their feelings of self-control. I feel that too with the calorie counting & weighing & measuring. But so far, I don't have a distorted body image, have been able to relax & enjoy some forbidden foods in moderate amounts, & still get (too much!) joy out meal time, so I don't think I'm in danger of becoming anorexic.

Well, off for an hour of biking! Hope to get in 15 to 30 minutes of additional cardio tonight - heh, heh! (Not getting obsessive here, just revving up my fitness for a 62 mile bike ride in 6 weeks).

BTW, really enjoying the step aerobics. Good for my klutziness, the time passes quickly, & boy, does it help my hill climbing on the bike!

o

May I join? 10 lbs. doesn't seem like a lot, but I keep losing the first 4 and gaining it back. Grad school reunion coming up. Everyone else is rich. Can't do that, so I figure I should at least be thin.

o

Of course, ketinmd! Welcome :)

o

Hi ketinmd!! I didn't really set out to lose weight since I wasn't really over weight. I just wanted to adopt a healthier lifestyle that I could stick with for the rest of my life. This all came about when I was diagnosed with high blood pressure in January. I did lose 10 pounds though as a result of better diet and exercising 5x a week. It doesn't seem like a lot but between that and all the exercise I feel like a new person. I will turn 50 in less than a year and I think I am now in the best shape I've ever been in, in my entire adult life. So welcome aboard - and say good-bye to those 10 lbs!!

o

Hey Mojo-pals!

just back from a GLORIOUS 8 day trip to Scotland! Ate way too many fattening things like shortbread and sticky toffee pudding (omg)--but walked and walked and walked everywhere, so I hope that offsets it...

I also wanted to let you all know that I came in 3rd in the Women's division of the Masters World Championships in Scottish Heavy Athletics! My performance wasn't stellar, but solid enough, I placed 3rd in 6 out of 8 events, and I did much better than I thought I would in caber--just beating out another woman for 3rd place...

Once I recover from the trip home (took 15.5 hours) I will try to get caught up with you all and get back on the mojo-train...

Nancy

o

Nancy! That's fabulous! I'm so glad you had a wonderful time & did well in the World Championships (wow!). Hope they gave you a big ol' trophy!

Sticky toffee pudding? Ooooh, please don't mention something that luscious. I would gain 5 pounds just thinking about it.

Glad you're back. How'd the kids & DH do while you were gone?

o

Congrats, Nancy! We know how much you were looking forward to this; how wonderful to have done so well.

Hi and welcome, ketinmd!

Sweeby- please let us know how things are going with your son...

Em, to respond to your question with some questions-- is any part of the rest of your life (family, friendships, hobbies, work, etc.) suffering because of your focus? Are you postponing your "real life" for some time when you reach your goal? If the answer is no then you're not "over the line" IMO. Sometimes we need that 110% effort to achieve something, which is OK as long as it's temporary and not harmful to oneself or the others in our lives.

Gibby, it's amazing how we track. I had my follow up exam with my internist this AM. It was a pleasure to see the surprise on her face when all my numbers-- BP, cholesterol, etc.--- were well within normal. Aaand, I've just said goodbye to my 30th pound. MoJO! MoJO!

I've finally picked the carpet for my living room and upstairs, as well as a beautiful armoire and table. I pick paint colors Thursday....

Not so good is the knee I banged up a couple of months ago-have to see an orthopedist for possible bone chips or other bad things..

Naya

o

So many great posts and news items here--it's made my day to read it. Not the best day out here right now.

And good lord, sweeby, that's disgusting. And yet ALL too typical. Any t.v. consumer advocates or newspaper columnists that need a story? :( :(

Nancy, CONGRATS! Any photos of the medal ceremony or anything?

ketinmd, LOL about the rich/thin approach...I only had 15 lbs to lose but I swear they were glued on me. I've lost 10 now and these last 5 are REALLY hard.

Em, you are amazing with your exercise. I think the fact that you're reflecting on the question you raised suggests that you'll find the balance of effective but not obsessive.

Planning to walk a nice fast 5K tomorrow (not that long a distance, but I'd like to keep it over 4.5 mph the whole time, and for a girl with fibro and MVP that's not too bad--of course my legs may fall off at the hip after I cross the finish line, but that's *after* :)) for the Livestrong Challenge--send mojo vibes to the west coast, o.k.? :)

o

HI folks! I did a solid 4.5 mph, was the first true racewalker (not many there) to come in :) Actually, there was a man who was a survivor who was walking too, who worked and worked evidently to catch up with me after I'd passed him earlier...I kind of pulled back and let him go in first, since we were neck and neck. It was definitely his moment. But it was a PR for me and more important, $1.1 mil was raised for the LAF. Hearing Lance read the Manifesto made it come alive for me, even though I'd read it before. It feels like it was truly his speech just transcribed--very authentic. So many survivors and so many walking in honor of others. I found my mind going to some folks from this forum who have stopped posting now...

Here is a link that might be useful: click on

o
ps RE: *Mojo Magic* Part 4 Reclaiming YOU

that link caption should say "click on the box 'Lance Armstrong Foundation manifesto'" on the right side of the screen...

o

okay Flyleft... I read your post and realise I am obviously way too newbie! What is your story? What is the fibro and MPV you talk about?

Em

PS My diet and weight loss pursuit... grumble whinge moan... weight is yo yoing about up and down, but at least mainly downwards.

o

OH and PS flyleft, sounds like that walk was most excellent!

I think awm and nayasabrina are right, if it's only to boost things and not impacting the family then it's OK for me to be a bit selfish with workout time and diet scrutiny.

Em

o

flyleft, I'm impressed with your walk - 5K at a fast pace is TOUGH. And it must have been wonderful to take part in a LAF event. I can sense the enthusiasm that was present there. With all your swimming, you must be very fit. I'm thrilled for you! Thanks for posting. Your story is inspiring.

o

Thanks, you all! It's harder to recover from something like this than I'd thought. Even yesterday I was dragging. Em, fibro is fibromyalgia, and MVP is mitral valve prolapse syndrome (diagnosed by whatever that echocardiogram thing is or whatever the word is--they put sensors on you and read out the results on a thin strip of paper).

My official time came in today as 4.56 mph. So I actually kept it *over* 4.5 :) but not much. I just can't imagine getting good enough (esp. with the abovementioned issues) to be a real racewalker. I mean over 6 mph sustained. Wow. But I do what I can.

On the intergenerational mojo front: my 8 y.o. daughter swam *another* mile last night! And with almost no elementary backstroke this time :) She also suddenly decided (since she was invited last night to join the little swim team at the club) that she would overcome her fear and taught herself a rudimentary flip turn, after *years* of refusal when I would suggest it. Nothing like a little external encouragement :)

I can flip turn (but I don't, since I can't swim two lengths back to back), but I really wonder if I'll ever be able to swim a mile. It's very weird that already my DD can do something I never could and never will be able to do.

I'd love to hear updates from other folks...mojo debriefing time :)

o

flyleft
I just looked up the fibromyalgia and MVP. All can say is 'hats off to you!'. Blessings your way. To get out of bed and do the mum thing... let alone go on your walking race... man oh man. Proud of you girl! You are the mojo mamma!

:)
Em

o

Hi all - I was just reading through catching up on what everyone has been doing. Isn't it amazing what people do here? Fly's walking accomplishment, namabafo's competition and em's amazing exercise and weight loss? What a group!! I haven't been doing much of anything of interest - just churning along with my little exercise and healthy eating program. I also keep focused on my effort to work less and spend more time staying in touch with my friends. We are having some friends visit at our lake cabin this weekend - someone I used to work with almost 20 years ago that I have stayed in touch with off and on. I've also made plans to go see a childhood friend who has now moved to another state. I seem to have many of my closest friends now located in other states and need to make more of an effort to go see them once in awhile.

Some of you may remember me mentioning awhile back that after I lost weight my above knee prosthesis was getting too big. I was really hoping NOT to have to get a new one fitted but alas I decided I needed to do that - the old one was just falling off. It had gotten to the point of being quite comical trying to do the ball routine under these circumstances - I finally had to give up on that for now. So far getting the new one completed has not been quite as big of an ordeal as I was expecting. It's "done" and useable but still needs some tweaks to be perfected for longer distance walking. Hopefully that will be wrapped up soon since the temperature is cooling down a bit - more to my liking for outdoor activities. I have also started hitting the tennis ball again which is great exercise and quite fun (provided your leg doesn't fall off) so looking forward to more of that now too.

What's everyone else been up to? Hopefully the "epidemic" of infections has passed and everyone is healthy!

o

Celticmoon here, following along. Enjoying the progress y'all continue to make. Welcome, Em (may have said already).

We've survived the heatwave. Sweeby, you and others further south are probably perplexed at us midwesterners and easterners absolutely freaking out over temps in upper 90's (that's about 36, 37, for you Celsius types - Em has me thinking globally). We are admittedly wimps in these cooler climates when it comes to heat. FYI, I did live 13 years in North Carolina but I've lost my heat tolerance. I'm glad it is over here.

No big news. Blissful week with DH away with all the menfolk in the extended family(s), airlifted deep into Canada to fish camp. FIL, an ex-Boundary Waters guide, now in his mid 80's, wanted to go with his sons and grandsons on a wilderness trip one more time. DH isn't much of a "woodtick" (= local slang for huntin' fishin' junkie) compared to his brothers, but some things you just gotta do. Me, I was wondering what this would be like as it is the longest DH and I have been apart in 25 years. Could solitude be yet another MoJo frontier? I found it kind of nice to have 10 days quiet and alone, capped off tonight by my monthly dinner where I cook for women friends. Always a fine time.

I am happy I feel healthy, my weight is good, life is very good. Enjoying art class (after 35 years away from it!). I am delinquent in getting back into my strength training, but I'm accepting I can't do it all. My consultation work is growing to the point I had to learn and deploy a spread sheet program to get the 150+ chunks o' work over the last few years mashed into order. I am pleased I can now retrieve names and places and details easily - even figured out how to load it all onto my Palm Pilot. That is serious techno MoJo for me! However, I am a little troubled to see clearly now that referrals seem to be doubling every six months - and that is taking me where I don't want to go volume-wise...the whole point was to semi-retire and be in control of how much I work. I'll have to figure out how to contain growth without killing off the practice.

Speaking of self employment, Sue, is your freelancing evolving as you hoped?

Hope you all are well and reaching.

o

This series of Mojo threads is AMAZING! If you remember the first posts, several months ago, many of us were just starting out and resolving to make changes in our lives, to "get off the dime," so to speak. And look at us now! I'm so proud of my fellow posters: some of you have discovered the hidden athlete within, and some have found that they were really thin under all that fat. Many of us have reconnected with friends and family and progressed with our careers and avocations. This thread is really an inspiration!

To answer your question, Celtic, I edited the first article, which was a "test" for the company to see whether they could win the account for the rest of the supplement (and beyond). We're still waiting for the decision, so I don't know how it will all work out. But I really enjoyed doing the work. It took me much more time than it should have, but I was learning a new style guide and having to search on the internet for the answers to questions that weren't written in the style guide--didn't want to make the wrong guess. I expect more mss in another week or two. Celtic, I think I will have exactly the same problem as you: staying in control of the volume of work. I've been on the other side, trying to find takers and "begging" my freelancers to take an extra manuscript or two. So I know I will be pressed to take too much. But I really resolve to stay in control of my workload and not take on more than I can handle. I can't afford to get that stressed again.

Meanwhile, I'm making the most of my free time. Had lunch with an old friend yesterday and sat talking with her for 4 hours! Attended a special film showing so I could later compare notes with another friend. Went shopping. Visited my mother-in-law. Wrote to an aunt I haven't been in touch with for many years, and will phone her next week with questions for the family history. Still need to get caught up with the housework, but that's my perennial status.

The heat wave (temps of 102 and higher) has finally ended, and I plan to get "out there" again next week and resume my daily walks. I think I'll have to start at Square One, though, as my leg muscles haven't had much exercise for the past month and a half. But...it's time!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Sue

o

Well, I've fallen off the mojo train, but I'm still at a better place than I was right before the Mojo threads started. Down 20 pounds, and a little fitter. Less depressed, certainly. I stopped walking during a 2-week rainy bout and haven't had the determination to start back up yet... This summer has just been so hectic!

DS#2 (age 10 1/2) is half-way done with his series of rabies shots after his bat encounter, and in the middle of an intensive and time-consuming reading intervention program. At least we're seeing results -- Plus, we're gearing up for public school enrollment (4th grade, transfer from sp.ed. private school) and trying to get all of his ARD/IEP services negotiated. That is always so stressful because the schools try to 'fit him into the system' (understandable) in their best-fit 'box' and DS#2 just doesn't fit any standard mold. Not even close. DS has always been in special schools, and in public school, he'll be forced to confront his 'differentness'. (autism spectrum plus intellectual disability, but not all-the-way autistic or quite mentally retarded) He's always had such a sunny disposition and lots of confidence -- I hate to see that change. At the same time, I don't feel we can shelter him so much any longer. His old school just doesn't have the right place for him anymore, and if he doesn't make the move now, it would have to be during middle school (yuck!) or even high school...

15-year old DS#1 is taking driver's ed. and tutoring DS#2 with his reading, but trying his darndest to do absolutely nothing else. He does understand that he'll need some extra-curricular activities to get into a top college, but he is just so darned reluctant to do anything... I've already limited his computer and TV time to an hour per day, so when he's not doing that, he's doing *nothing*. Anyone know of any obscure sports he might try? He's coordinated, but "hates sports" and has a very strong fear of doing poorly at anything. With an obscure sport, he'd be better at it than his friends, plus it would look interesting to colleges. (I hope) We've already tried fencing, which he enjoyed. (But the Jr. National Team seems to be HQ'd in Houston!, so it's no place for a novice with performance anxiety.)

Other than that, I'm still peddling along...

o

Sweeby: Your DS#1 sounds very much like my 14-year-old DS#1. Wish I could figure out the same thing.

o

Sweeby, would your son be interested in ultimate frisbee? At our high school it attracts the nicest group of boys -- brainy, funny, fun, accepting, definitely not the stereotypical jock types. They organize their own club & compete against other high school clubs. Many of them continue playing in college (2 boys that I know are non-athletes even), & they travel to some cool places to play. My 3 boys love ultimate frisbee. I don't have a clue what the rules are; it just looks like a bunch of boys throwing a frisbee, running & jumping like mad to catch it, & having a whale of a time.

I've been thinking of you. August is back to the grindstone for us too: the NLD one just registered for 3 classes today, we're hoping he can graduate next spring; the ADD one comes home Sunday & will register at a nearby community college next Tuesday for his 2nd attempt at freshman year (bombed out last December). They are 23 & 19 years old, but we still have to watch their every academic step to make sure they're getting their work done. Both are prone to getting overwhelmed & breaking down. Middle one starts his senior college year too -- no cognitive problems with him, thank God.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ultimate Frisbee

o

Hi Everyone!

I've been MIA with a bunch of stuff going on, but things are settling down. I'm down about 15 lbs, but for some reason wasn't feeling particularly pleased. Then I went to our new house (we're in the midst of a move and between houses) and tried on a blazer that I could barely button a few months ago. It fits!!!!!!! I was shocked that what seems like such a little bit of weight loss made such a difference.

So I'm in a bit of a plateau as well. I'm trying to look at my weight loss in small, 5-lb chunks, to keep it manageable. Definitely having problems getting re-motivated.

I think part of it is because of a disappointing week (a prospective "perfect" job didn't work out, my old Golden was ill, etc.) and the fact that we'll finally be moved in a little over a week. Although I love our future house and am looking forward to being settled, I'm also feeling insecure about being in a new place, new neighbors, etc. Sort of like reality is hitting.

I'm trying to think positive!

o

Hi all,

Celtic - nice to hear from you and good to hear you are doing well.

Goldgirl - great news on the blazer - that's a great feeling isn't it? When some previously too small thing fits.

Nothing much is new with me - I'm just staying the course with my now not so new healthier lifestyle. It's been almost seven months now and I'm hooked.

Speaking of good health - and screening for potential problems. Has everyone over 50 had a colonoscopy? I am only 49 but my internist recommended I have mine since I'm so close to 50 and had some problem with anemia in the past. I was pretty sure the anemia had nothing to do with my colon but since I was going to have to have this soon anyway I figured I might as well get it over with.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. Everyone says the prep is the worst part and that is true in my opinion. The procedure itself wasn't nearly as humiliating as I expected. Of course they give you drugs before they start that make you not care what they're doing. It was very quick and completely comfortable - nothing to it.

Anyway, if anyone is holding out on doing this - get it done. Great peace of mind in knowing everything is normal.

Hope everyone is doing well.

o

I am feeling somewhat in a balancing act between motivated and disillusioned! That last kg just refuses to depart. I keep trying and trying... but these things take time.

Hope others are motivated!

Planning the clothes I might slowly buy to build up my new wardrobe is motivating me a little.

Em

o

Ah yes, Gibby, the 50th birthday present of a colonoscopy... like 50 isn't traumatic enough!! LOL.

I agree it is absolutely no big deal (except for drinking all that stuff, yech). I have a vague memory of trying to 'help' and asking "Is that something there I see on the screen?" At which point I suspect they just upped the drugs to get me to shut up. Pretty much otherwise all a blank. I'd fight to have that again rather than the sigmoidoscopy (looks at just the lower colon), for which you apparently are upside down fully awake with a local anesthetic. Uh, no thanks.

I vote with Gibby : if you are 50 or beyond, just do it. It is the Mojo thing to do.

Hope you all are well and seeing past any temporary slumps.

o

DH has been nagging me to go see the "Rear Admiral". I should buck up & go do it -- can't believe what a medical wimp I am.

Which brings up this tangent: seems like I'm much more fearful about things (like prickly medical treatments). I've read where menopause can bring on increased anxiety. Have any of you noticed more anxiety as menopause kicks in? Not sure if my worries are a menopausal thing or whether it's because we've had some tough times in the last 3 years.

159.5 pounds now. Hoping to drop to 155 by Sept. 17 for a MS bike ride.

o

awm: the progress is what matters. as for mean-o-pause, i just hit 50, and am discovering that everything that used to work doesn't any more. i used to be a champion sleeper, but now find that i wake up in the middle of the night with an accumulation of anxieties i didn't know i had. am i worrying about nothing, or just more aware of what i should have been worrying about all along?

o

Hi folks,

gibby, how's your new prosthesis working? Has it become natural feeling? It must be really wonderful to realize that you have changed your shape so significantly as to need a new one :) :) It's amazing about tennis--my ol' skating knees become *sharply* painful if I pivot a bit too much or run for any distance at all. Do you swim too? And re the infections: I had to laugh--I didn't post at the time, but just as you wrote that line, while doing some post-harvest pruning, I managed to stick a blackberry thorn into my finger and break off the part sticking out--I had to wait until it became good and infected to open it up and clean it all out. I couldn't get that last little part out. And then a week later my DH did the same thing with wood from our current project. So it's the G'web curse :) Hope no one's fighting anything like that now. And I'll remember your words re the colonoscopy. My dearest darling piano teacher died at 53 from colon cancer back in 1977 and she absolutely did *not* fit the profile. I don't even know if they recommended routine colonoscopies back then...?

celtic, your whole post sounded so amazing, the airlifting, the art classes, and the most awe-inspiring thing, really seriously using a palm pilot LOL! My DH got me one because I write everything onto little pieces of paper and lose them, and of course--it's been gathering dust.

mt, how is the editing coming? Did they win the acc't? Are you staying within your comfort level wrt amount of work? And how cool about seriously dissecting a film--which one was it?

sweeby, re the stopping walking: Leslie, Leslie Leslie, I swear by her in bad weather...she's corny as all heck, just painfully so (we imitate her as we're walking) but you can do pretty much any kind of workout you want to that beat and you'll know how many miles you've covered by the end. I also had a thought about your older son: you say he's tutoring your younger son in reading, and he needs some other activities for college application? Tutoring in reading is a *great* and pretty-easy-to-hook-up-with volunteer activity. He could get training somewhere and tutor kids after school, read with kids, etc. And it's something like what he's doing already, so in the application for training he could mention that he's been tutoring his younger brother. It's so desperately needed as well, he could feel he's really making a difference. Maybe he'll be bowled over by it as I was and discover a career path in it somewhere...And I hear ya on the national team pressure re fencing: we're in the home of the winners of the women's gold medal in saber (and world champion team), and other Olympic team members in other weapons, and when DD took one intro course from the saber school, there was constant shouting like "You'll never make the Olympic team that way! Do you think Mariel does it that way? (not at my DD, just need to point out :), but at other kids--and she heard it and was dejected *for* them)" WAY insulting and discouraging. They alienate at least as many people as they inspire with all that.

goldgirl, CONGRATS on putting on the old clothes! I've finally fit into last fall's jeans again and like you I am flabbergasted at how much different I must be in order to fit back into them. How is the move progressing?

Em, I havent' written either because I'm so where you are wrt the last pounds...I keep gaining a bit back, then losing back down to within sight of my goal, then gaining it back, then losing it again...I just can't break through that last plateau :( But fitting into last fall's jeans has compensated for that somewhat. Can you tell if maybe your body is just changing and you're building muscle? I know I am (yes, I AM, to whomever said that that doesn't happen --I visibly and palpably have dimensional muscle that I've never had before--e.g. one particular one in my legs on the inside--I've always only really had developed quads but the ones that are a little to the inside of them that attach above the knee are suddenly developing too--must be all that frog kick); maybe your *shape* is changing but your weight isn't budging?

awm, yes, I've noticed that, actually, and I'm just entering pre-menopause, I think...like ket, I can't sleep sometimes at night and there's nothing really more nerve-wracking than usual...have you read John Lee's _What Your Doctor May Not Tell you about Menopause_? Good place to start with alternative approaches, IMO. Look forward to hearing about the MS bike ride--how far are you going? We should all contribute to each other's rides/walks/etc. next year or something :)

And for my news: I'm writing somewhat achily this morning, but with jaw still dropped at what I did yesterday. I've been swimming more each week ever since my DH decided to forego mochas to pay for a gym membership for me. Dear dear thing. And my daughter has swum with me (small guest fee). Anyway, my daughter joined the club swim team at the end of the season and has just BLOSSOMED, is now looking forward to the fall season, it's *amazing* how she learns when she opens her mind and sets her goal. Incredible. So much potential yet untapped.

Anyway, I've been plugging along while she has her practices, swimming a half mile and being so amazed at my developing strokes and strength, although a lot of times recently I've felt like I'm about to fall through the cracks and lose *all* my energy--I've had really big energy waves come and go (it's a fibro thing), and lots of aching...well, last night, the last evening of the swim team season until late September, they were over there playing all sorts of race games, and I plugged along and plugged along and somehow I SWAM A MILE PLUS ANOTHER LENGTH, even!

I swear if you'd asked me yesterday morning, I would have said, as I've said all along, that I'd never be able to swim a mile, even though my daughter can do it and I'm so happy to see her do it since I can't...I still can't believe I did it. I mean, it's such a HUGE thing for this MVP, fibro girl. I was huffing and puffing a fair amount, but I had lots of time because we had gotten there early before practice...I was even thinking that my mom, who was a college champion swimmer back in the 40s, was watching over us as I was not just breaking but smashing into little bits my own personal physical and perceptual wall, and my daughter was swimming faster than she ever had, her gangly colt body finally coming into its own...it was so unreal. And my DH coming up with the idea of giving up mochas was what had made it all happen.

SERIOUS synergistic mojo magic. Can you believe I thought about posting here pretty much as I was coming out of the pool? LOL...but we were out celebrating last night afterwards, so it got postponed to now.

o

Flyleft, what a glorious post! Your achievement in swimming is thrilling! Isn't it amazing how your motivation is so interrelated with your DH's sacrificial gift, your DD's developing skill and interest, and the inspiring connection with your DM? It all fits together, and you are ALL blooming! You must be doing something RIGHT!

I'm glad you addressed a comment to each member of our little group. I won't repeat them, but I share your sentiments. I'm so proud of the progress many of you have made, and I share the frustration of those who have backslid or plateaued (I'm in the latter group). I've had some days I'm not proud of, but I think that the craziness has passed, and I'm ready to get back on the program. I also need to get out there and walk more often, now that the weather has cooled off a bit. (Note: I think I've promised this before, but this time I mean it!)

Thanks for asking about my new freelancing career. The company didn't get that account, but they told me it was for financial reasons (the bid was too high) and not because of my editing. Whew! Now, I've been asked to do another sample article, which I completed yesterday. If that account is accepted, I'll be working on a journal devoted to -- get this! -- obesity research! It's mostly genetics and biochemistry, very challenging stuff, but there are also more interesting articles on behavior and public health. I'll let you know if I get the assignment.

The good thing about all this is: it shakes up my routine and forces me to be more organized. I feel that I benefit from more structure to my day. Instead of thinking that I can do my chores "later," I get them done earlier, and I end up with less guilt. (Well, at least in theory...)

Hope you all have a great end-of-summer!

Sue

o

In brief a reply to flyleft:
Yes, you are right, my shape is changing. I can even jog some of my walk these days!

I have a mere 0.8lb to go.

So close- yet so far away!
Sometimes I think "So what" after loosing so much. But to finally be in my healthy weight range... that moment will be sweet I am sure. So I continue to pursue the goal...

Em

o

MOJO MAGIC TIME!

(((((((( Today I reached my GOAL WEIGHT!!! ))))))))))

I know my weight tends to go up and down as it drops, but this is the first time I have been "normal" for 18 years!

Em
Flying high in Oz.... : )

o

Em, you don't NEED anybody to applaud for you, because your own excitement at your accomplishment is already lifting you up to Cloud 9, but I'm going to cheer you anyway, and jack you up to Cloud 10:

Yay! Rah! Rah! You GO, girl! That is WONDERFUL!!! Congratulations!!

You are reminding me of my own thrilling experience, 10 years ago, when I lost 80 pounds. When I got myself into the "normal" range, it was so extremely gratifying, even though (I hate to remind you) the work wasn't over, and actually, it NEVER ended. Maintaining your normal weight is still the same battle, but you are now so much better prepared to fight it: you have learned to eat properly and to exercise, and you will be on guard (but self-forgiving) for that occasional slip. You're in the Home Stretch now. Grab the glory and enjoy it!

Sue

o

Way to go, Em!!!

o

Woo Hoo Em!
What fabulous news! Congratulations on reaching your goal! You're absolutely an inspiration to us all.

But now the hardest part is still ahead -- living with the day-to-day temptations without the thrill of ongoing wieght loss or the motivation of striving toward a goal.

Do you have a strategy for staying at your goal weight?

o

Yeah, Em, congrats from me too! How much have you lost? It's over 100, right? Wow...

Sue, I didn't realize you'd lost 80 lbs. once upon a time. "Wow" to you too.

Flyleft, swimming a whole mile & a length is HUGE. That takes real endurance. With your swimming & walking, you must be feeling like a new woman.

Bought a new scale yesterday, a digital one. It's more in line with the doctor's scale, which gives a higher reading than my old scale. I'm 162.5 lbs, down from 206 lbs. according to my doctor's records. So not in the 150s yet -- but it's in my sights!

28 miles biking today. Back to work tomorrow with the new school year. Good bye leisurely summer days & morning bike rides :(

o

Oh Em, that is AWESOME! I'm so glad I founds these threads, because you all are inspirational!

I've been doing pretty darn well. Until TODAY, which was our move to the house we closed on in July. It's actually the end of a long journey - DH and started our relocation from out-of-state last summer, and it took us this long (in a rental) to find a house. I'm excited - a new start in a new place - but also pretty scared. Today it's real!

I'm sure that's part of the reason I noshed all day today, nibbling this, and taking a bite of that. I feel absolutely gross now, especially as I do much better if I don't eat late at night.

So I've gotta put today behind me and get back on track tomorrow...

o

AWM: Umm... I just worked it out...117lbs! Holy Moly!

LOL

Em

o

em, WOW. I wondered when you wrote you had .8 lbs left to lose -- that's pretty darn close :) and then you made it! How are you feeling today? What kind of exercise are you doing? Can you feel more muscle on you? Are you going to do anything like 5ks or 10ks or such? Lots of cycling fundraisers, too...

awm, thanks. I do feel somewhat like a new woman and somewhat like a sick woman who's really pushing herself to try to feel like a new woman, iykwim...

but congrats to em for every day that goes by. One day at a time, right? :)

o

Hey mojo gang - how is everyone doing? I haven't posted anything in awhile - nothing much going on. I went for a walk last night which reminded me of you all. My new prosthetic leg is now fully tweaked and I'm able to walk my regular 40 minute route again - YAY!! I'm looking forward to the nice cool, fall weather - though I've handled the record hot Minnesota summer better than I thought I would. How about you Celtic - are you enjoying the cool front?

I seem to have settled at about a 12 lb weight drop with my new eating and exercise routine - a delightful outcome of my original goal to just do something about HBP diagnosis. I'm amazed that it is really no "effort" to maintain this as long as I keep up the exercise. I eat what I want - though I generally eat reasonably well anyway - not perfect but reasonably well.

Fly - I loved reading your post about your swimming and how your DD and DH play into that - what a great story.

And Em - you are a major inspiration as usual.

Awm - how are you doing - now that your morning bike rides are a thing of the past?

Sweeby - what's up?

o

Gibby, good to hear from you sounding well. I headed here intending to post a hey-where-are-y'all? post myself.

I am moseying along. The work wave retreated (thankfully) and is back to manageable. Whew. My weight and intake are healthy, but I have remained delinquent in my strength training at the Y. And I can tell my body is not as limber or as strong.

I did get to the dermatologist. Happy to say all my thingies were just precancerous. Nice change. Though I'm walking around like somebody attacked my face and torso with a lit cigaret. Funny to look so damaged yet feel so relieved!

DH embarks on competitive swimming in the Senior Olympics next weekend. What a hoot. The state meet is just down the street. Flyleft, you could clean up! I laugh that I could medal in my age division (50-55) just by not drowning, as there are no 50-55 entrants. But I'm like a cat re: water. Not my thing.

Namabafo: Scottish games here this weekend! Are you per chance in Wisconsin?

Sweeby, Sue, Naya, Em, Ketn, Goldgirl, everybody - how are y'all doing? We need to not lose focus as the season changes. It is still your body there under those heavier clothes, and still your own life ahead as the culture attends to back-to-school.

I say: back to MoJo!!

o

Hey, y'all. An early fall has set in here in Connecticut: cool, overcast. Definitely chilly in early morning & late afternoon. We've had a lot of rain this late week, so back to the elliptical & step aerobics in the playroom. 6 pm to 7:30 pm is a good time for that. I can prepare dinner between 4-5 pm, eat first, then get DH & the boys set up for their dinner. I don't get to eat with DH, but he'd rather I get a workout. Have had some great after-work bike rides: 17.7 miles, beautiful scenery. Remind me to post a picture when the leaves turn color next month -- some of the sights are wonderful.

o

Celtic, aka your drill sargeant, here. Just back from a little strength training at the Y after many weeks (?months?) absence. Yikes, am I weak. And flabby. Scarey.

But it does feel good to have gone.

Now y'all got a long holiday weekend here to work with. Find some time for your health and get out there and do something!! Anything.

I mean it.

o

YES! MA'AM!

Hup two, three, four, hup two, three, four...

Hope everybody has a wonderful holiday weekend.

o

Hey you guys - I went for my first outdoor bike ride this year. I don't ride outside that much but I ride at our lake cabin when DH runs. I guess that's it - he's had knee problems and hasn't run much this year. Anyway we went on a short six mile route. There are a few hills that aren't all that bad (even for a person with one leg) but there are a couple including one pretty steep hill at the end of the route as we come home. Compared to any of my previous rides, I have to say I nearly blew up these hills!! It was amazing. I am in SOOOO much better shape than I was a year ago - I'm astonished.

You guys - if you are lacking motivation or losing it - you gotta' get back on your program - whatever it may be. It is just so great to get in shape. I never thought I would be one of those fit, in shape people but I think I'm becoming one. There is something very rewarding about being a person who is breaking away from the pack - leaving the unhealthy, sedentery, obesity prone lifestyle behind!! GO MOJO-ERS!!

o

My turn to whinge...

Whenever we visit DH's folks his dad says something along the line of "Keeping the weight off so far".
It really annoys me. It's like there is this presumption I will appear next time 20kg heavier and he'll feel justified in piping up with "I knew you couldn't keep it off"!

Today he says that typical comment, then adds (for good measure) "You don't want to lose anymore or you'll become one of those anorexic types".

Both DH, and his folks are 'big boned' types.

Does anyone have such annoying people in their lives? What do you say to them?

Grrrr!
Em

o

Em - those comments would sure be just the thing to keep me on track - just to show those boys!! I think I would just say something simple like "I appreciate your concern 'insert his name here' but I'm sure with my history I'm in no danger of becoming anorexic" and I'd probably kind of laugh it off.

I would think anyone who is "big boned" and living a potentially unhealthy lifestyle would be a bit jealous of your accomplishment and that causes a few of these comments. You've done an amazing thing you can be very proud of - don't let the naysayers get to you.

o

gibby, your post about your bike ride is a delight. I can sense your enthusiasm. I'm so happy for you! Hope you enjoyed the biking too. I find it destressing.

o

gibby- yesterday my reply was a sarcastic "Sorry to disappoint you". LOL

Em

o

Whew, I thought this thread was going to wither on the vine. Glad to see that everybody's still here, and most are making terrific progress. I have my ups and downs, but it's mostly going in the right direction. I DID get the job I mentioned earlier, so I'll be be busier than ever this fall, but I'll make time for walking.

Em, when I lost weight, I got plenty of encouragement and congratulations, but some people said "you're getting too thin," and that insidious remark did some damage. I knew, by looking in the mirror, that I was still heavy in some areas (esp. my thighs), but I think I allowed that little seed of doubt to undermine my resolve to maintain my weight loss. Maybe I WAS too thin? Well, then, it was OK to eat more and gain some weight back. I hope that your FIL's malicious digs don't have that effect on you! You've shown tremendous strength in getting to where you are now. More power to you!

Sue

o

Yes, em, Sue's right. You HAVE shown tremendous strength in losing 117 pounds. Your FIL's comments are nothing in comparison to the weight obstacle you're overcome.

There are lots & lots of people who are verbal snipers. They shoot down your accomplishments & positive traits. They make fun of your successes. Screw 'em. They're weak.

Picture in your mind: he's a flimsy, yapping obstacle in your way, & you brush him aside with a sweep of your arm without breaking stride or batting an eye -- you have more important things to focus on.

Keep in mind too, that eating disorders have gotten much media attention in recent years, and many well-meaning people are just genuinely concerned that we're not going overboard. They mean well.

I'm certainly in danger of developing anorexia: mealtimes are still the *HIGHLIGHT* of my day, LOL!

o
RE: oops

Well, I can't watch the US Open & type at the same time.

Meant to say: I'm certainly NOT in danger of developing anorexia (because I like to eat too much).

o

Hello everyone-

Glad so many are doing well- Congrats Em, gibby, awm.

I think there's an interesting thread here about people's responses to our Mojo changes. I've been on both sides, having people react as if my changes were somehow a threat to them, and feeling threatened and undermined by changes in others. The not so nice side of human nature, I think. Requires a strong sense of sense to listen in case there's some truth, ignore it if it's nonsense.

I'm not doing so well physically right now- fighting yet another sinus infection, and my knee is still giving me fits. Today I had a two-fer; MRI of knee and CT scan of head. I may have to have sinus surgery, though I'm told that it's not the big deal that it was the first time in 1983. Then I came out of the OR looking like a psychedelic pumpkin and feeling like an elephant stomped on my face.

My Mojo is about doing the best for myself, and if that includes surgery, so be it. (Said to the sound of whistling in the dark).

Naya

o

Hi naya, sorry to hear about your health problems. What's the problem with your knee? And just to look on the good side, maybe the sinus surgery will fix your problem permanently.

Everybody's kids get off to a smooth start to the school year? Hope so.

o

MOJO ROLL CALL!! Is the mojo group dwindling? Where are you? Please check in and let us know what you have been doing - or even just thinking about - on the mojo front. Remember mojo is not just about diet/fitness - but all things that make life the best it can be!

o

I am sick with a cold- always 'fun'.
Stressed at work... don't like current position.
Keeping on track... weight is plateauing but not going up.
And TOTALLY TKO with multiple appointments, quotes etc sending me into a flap which is involiving nightmares about kitchens! LOL (well sort of LOL, maybe COL cry out loud...)

Basically, sitting in my cave deep breathing! and thinking 'poor me'.
Em

o

PFC Naya reporting as ordered ma'am!

Good Mojo yesterday; went out for lunch with a new group of people from my quilt guild and had an interesting discussion and got to know them a bit better. This is the third time in a row I've done this rather than slinking home after the meeting. I'm also meeting with an old acquaintance (whom I hope will become a new friend and fiber buddy) next weekend for coffee and handiwork. Slowly I'm working on my social network.

Not so good MOJO .... Awm, you'd asked about my knee. I came down hard on it a few months ago. I RICE'd it and tried to work through it but it kept giving out under me- very scary to suddenly have jello instead of a leg supporting you. And while I could do my usual elliptical routine, I'd have days of knee pain afterwards. The MRI shows torn cartilage and some other damage and the orthopedic surgeon suggests arthroscopy. So now I may have knee and sinus surgery.

Anybody have arthroscopy? The doctor (Dr Glum) keeps saying things like "at your age [57] people don't recover quickly; don't expect to bounce back like a 20 year old" and "I can't promise you'll be any better after surgery". I am going to get a second opinion. I have no illusions about being able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, but exercise is crucial to my physical and mental well being.

And that's the news from Lake Wobegon...

Naya

o

Celtic here. Sending healing vibes to Naya and Em.

Wildly busy the last week. Executed planning a family travel thing for dearest brother's 50th in December. Very hard to plan, like herding cats!

Proud to report that on Saturday DH won all five events in his swimming debut at the state Senior Olympics. He last swam competitively in high school - 34 years ago!! Set this goal last year when we literally wandered into the events down the street. Very interesting scene - totally Mojo, with people at every age and level of ability just doing their thing. So you swimmers,(you know who you are!) should look into it. Seriously, it was a delightful and inspiring and low key event.

Leave it to DH to warp MoJo into all out competitiveness. He qualified for the nationals in Louisville in July. No chance to win as is, but he's thinking he can focus and improve his times. I say go for it. LOL - couple those older guy swimmers had great bodies...;)

Me, I have gotten to the Y a couple times. Winning the battle to keep work in check. Some days.

I want to add my voice and coax you to stay in there and keep at it!

o

The cold is subsiding and I have to get moving again.
The bonus (?) was that due to losing my appetite I lost over 5 lbs in a week. I am sure it will find me again though LOL!

Em

o

namabafo checking in!!!

embarassed to say I've completely fallen off the mojo train. I am now climbing back on at the next station.

with school starting stuff I've let all training slide since my last comp in Maine in August...took a week up north in NH at the family cottage, then lots of time swimimming here back home...our 3 month old pool heater went on the fritz Sat so no swimming this last gorgeous weekend of the summer :-( ...waiting for pool guys today...I'm definitely working out today....

been getting some good mojo in other areas, starting to finish off the remaining 5% of my remodel...cleaning out all the junk we have and freecycling stuff. (though I hate when people say they will take stuff and then keep putting off and then never show....) Packed up a big load to take to Children's Orchard next week

had a date with dh on fri. 1st time we've been alone since being in Scotland in July...

seems like I've been taking people to appointments for months...eyes and teeth and bodies...I have an appt with an eye specalist on OCt 27....I've been boarderline glaucoma for years and get it checked evey 6 months...doc thinks things in my left eye are changing so sent me off for more tests...(my bro was diagnosed at age 27) I don't like to mess with my eyes...

yesterday I found a lump in my neck...doesn't hurt, but feels sort of like a ganglian (sp?) cyst I had in my wrist once. I have a physical scheduled next Mon, so I have something else to talk about...

my, I am just rambling today....happy to be back on the train...

Nancy

o

ketinmd checking in: thought i would lose 10 lbs. for my grad school reunion. it's a week away, and i've lost four. guess this means i just have to hold my stomach in. sigh.

o

Nancy,
I got to have a date with my DH too. The children took and extra karate class on Friday night so DH and I went to the shops and had a coffee childfree! It was great... except when the TKO part took off and we ended up checking out new saucepans for our future cooktop! Crazy, yet alot more pleasant looking at such things without the chorus of 'I'm bored'.
Weightwise: the weight I lost while sick is still off- but alas I think I am coming down sick again! Had slightly sore throat, tender tummy and worst of all aching back in the kidney area (I am truely praying it is not a kidney infection).
I am maintaining and happy for the first time in many years.

Anyone else started their Christmas shopping? I have a few items already tucked away for my neice. But that's about it. My own children aren't so lucky yet!

Em

o

Sigh, sorry I've been gone so long guys. House and child starting school has been all consuming.

I also haven't been doing well healthwise. Went on Thyroid medication. Not as tired anymore, nails better. Still freezing all the time, still FAT (and getting fatter), still having some anxiety attacks (but way less and much less severe). So it is working, but I don't think it's enough. The GP tells me my blood work is great and that that is all I need. But I don't buy it. a) I'm not completely well, and I can't lose weight. b) he's old and semi retired and I don't think he's up to speed on the lated thyroid info.

So, I'm getting a second opinion with an GYN here who is famous for her knowledge of thyroid issues and other hormonal issues. This woman has come so highly recommended, I'm looking forward to meeting her and working with her. I couldn't get in till November 14th though.

SO please forgive me for not chiming in. I'm just not up to it right now. But I am SO PROUD of all of you!

Love,
Ivette

o

I haven't written for a while...or should I say "Father it's been 5 weeks since my last post" LOL...

It's my birthday today and I'm depressed...:(

I feel like I NEVER get any time for myself. If I do, I feel nervous about it because my DH and my DD aren't getting along well right now, so I have to be ready to face a huge blowup upon my return. I've got to be on guard duty at all times. I'm *exhausted* from it :(. And I've got wrinkles between my eyebrows that I know now are from not paying up to get the right glasses for too many years and so I look older than my years :(.

I feel completely BLAH mojo-less. Like I just want to crawl into my own new tub and take a bath for hours. But I can't because I just know there'll be a fight to clean up. Anyone ever have this problem? Probably not...

UGH.

o
ps RE: *Mojo Magic* Part 4 Reclaiming YOU

p.s. just looking at the title of this thread made me tear up.

o

Happy Birthday to youuuuuu.....

Happy Birthday to YOUUUUUUU....

Happy BIRTHDAY dearrrr FlyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyLeeeeeeeeeeeft....

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOOOO YOUUUUUUUUU-HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

(if that doesn't cheer you up, nothing will.)

Love,
the "other" mojo-less one.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY FLYLEFT!!!

o

Awww, thanks, Ivette...a big hug to you. I could practically hear you singing; it did cheer me up :)

I am sorry to hear of your delays getting treatment. It always amazes me when people say "see *a* doctor", as if they all know the same things, have the same abilities and intelligence and are just interchangeable cogs. Or if they see *a* doctor and *the* doctor tells them they are just imagining things, etc...so they give up and suffer. It matters a lot *which* doctor you see, sometimes the difference between life and death (not in your case, but the difference will still be significant, it sounds). I forget--what are you doing to try to lose weight? The *only* thing that works for me is Zone and exercise. Even so it is increasingly hard to get it to stay off. I hope this new doctor lives up to her reputation and can make some progress happen for you.

o

sigh Flyleft, at the moment I am doing SQUAT. It's just too discouraging to try, and continually fail.

The only thing that works for ME is exercise. Period. but it does work, and keeps me thin (been thin most of my life).

Ivette

o

Ivette - nice to hear from you but so sorry to hear you are struggling with this thyroid thing - that has to be SO frustrating. I'm glad you are getting another opinion. I've had a few medical things to deal with and I've learned through experience that doctors vary widely in their knowledge - which is understandable since there is so much to know. I'm relentless though in my pursuit of satisfaction and the highest quality care - quite seriously I don't think I'd be alive today if I hadn't been that way. Hopefully you will get better results with the new doc. And how exciting you are going to be getting a golden puppy!! There's gotta' be some mojo in that, isn't there?

And fly - good to hear from you but I'm sad to hear you are in a funk. Is the DD/DH situation likely to change soon - it sounds like a difficult situation and something that will take a toll on you if you can't take care of yourself. HUGS and Happy Birthday wishes too you!! Hang in there!

o

Thanks gibby!

Uhhh, what DD/DH situation? What am I missing? Does flyleft need my sage and invaluable advice on something????

:)
Ivette

o

gibby, thanks very much...I *think* I've finally gotten through to DH not to respond to DD's proddings--I swear it's like a couple of siblings sometimes, which is something DD doesn't have and maybe she's trying to recreate sibling rivalry or something? But I've read that a daughter's relationship with her father is a major determininant of how she fares with men in romantic relationships, so I'm really wanting this to work itself out and SOON. I do most of the "thinking about parenting", as it were, in this family. I've done the research, stayed up all hours second-guessing myself, had the major heart-to-hearts, been with her full time, ake the lead on educational decisions, etc...DH works very long hours and I think DD may just be trying to have *a* relationship with him, iykwim, but it needs to be a positive one. Which is his job, which means he needs to think things through and not just react knee-jerk. Has anyone else felt like they're the lead singer and DH is the backup, singing harmony and fills? It's tiring. Any sage and invaluable advice would be most appreciated, Ivette.

But another insight into why seems to be appearing, from little physical hints I notice...I think my dear baby daughter is beginning to head into the long wonderful tunnel called puberty! I have to say, she's a great communicator at least with me so I hope we'll be able to weather the changes far better than my family did with me LOL...

o

Hi folks,

I don't come by here too often any more--probably because I'm feeling guilty about slipping off the Mojo train and rolling back downhill. I baked an apple honeycake for Rosh Hashana, and that seems to have triggered an even more precipitous decline. Resolutions are out the window, and bingeing is an everyday occurrence. Ugh! I'm so disgusted with myself, especially because I had several good months of staying on the straight-and-narrow. What happened to those good Mojo vibes? I think I can blame my painkiller med for a large part of the problem. I have been feeling like a zombie every day: fuzzyheaded, headachy, lethargic, insomniac, nauseous (and food seems to settle my stomach, so I eat MORE when I don't feel well). Finally, after 3-1/2 months of this, I went back to the doctor Tuesday and asked him for help in withdrawing from the medicine. He thought the adverse effects might dose-related, so he reduced the dose. In the past few days, I've started feeling a bit more like my old self again, although not completely. I do hope I can feel well enough to get out and take my daily walks again; I've gone only a few times in the past month or two. Anyway, I need to be clear-headed for my freelance editing job, so if the reduced dose doesn't work, I'm definitely going to taper off and quit the medicine. I'd rather have the back pain.

Flyleft, I wanted to respond to your last comment. I don't know how old your daughter is, but I remember that, during my entire year of being a 13-year-old, I never finished dinner with my family; I always stomped off, in tears, after a blow-up with my father. I thought then, and believe now, that puberty was to blame for our constant clashing. He was a very loving father, and we grew closer again after that year. To this day, I don't know why we blew up at each other, but I do remember being newly aware of my physical appearance (I was too fat, even then), wanting to fit in socially with my friends, pressure to achieve academically, and all the usual angst of being a teenager. I also think that, at that age, I began challenging my father's statements when I disagreed with him; my boldness was part of my developing autonomy as an individual. But Dad had a short fuse and wanted to be King of the household; in his era, no backtalk was permitted. Somehow, we got through it, and by the next year, we had again achieved a loving relationship, perhaps because I learned to keep my controversial opinions to myself a bit more. That was my mother's influence. She wanted me to avoid confrontations, whereas I felt that keeping silent was intellectually dishonest. But I guess I eventually learned to chart a middle path.

Somehow, my own daughter seemed to avoid those blow-ups with her father, but I remember her age 13 as being a pretty tense year, too. I'm not sure there's much you can do to help your DD through it, except to reassure her that her Daddy loves her, her feelings are normal, and she'll get through it.

Ivette, I've been worrying about you and your health, and your DH's, too. I remember there was a scare a month or two ago; is he OK now? As for you, it sounds like you're going through a health siege similar to mine (for different reasons). It's hard to exercise (or diet) when you don't feel well. When you're feeling lousy, you just want to comfort yourself; when you're feeling anxiety, you want to calm yourself. And, for most of us on this thread, "comfort" unfortunately means "comfort food." All we can do is hang on and hope for better times, with better success in the future.

Sue

o

Anybody else think our blahs are also related to the approach of fall? Shorter daylight hours, cool rainy weather, less outdoor time... I've definitely had carb cravings this month. All those newspaper articles on apple pies & pumpkin breads aren't helping any either!

Instead of making a pie, I'll can apple slices, applesauce with Splenda, & apple butter (my youngest's favorite). That's an autumnal thing to do that won't blow the calorie budget if I sample & taste. Canning always makes me happy.

I know we run the gamut of religions (& non-religion) here, so I hope nobody minds if I include the Mojo Club in my rosary intentions. Just think of it as positive vibes being sent your way! Praying for your health, happiness, & energy.

o

Flyleft,

I'm still not clear on what the dealio is between your DH and your DD. But I'll tell you this much, for what it's worth. My father and I, to this day, cannot be together more than say four days, without getting into a fight. It's usually over something stupid. But we have just always butted heads. It was much worse as a kid, WAY worse when I was in college. It's gotten so much better, but DH jokes "HEY!! Four days! THat's a new record!" And Dad and I both just laugh.

My relationship with DH is NOTHING WHATSOEVER like what I have with my Dad. And, my sometimes volatile relationship with my Dad has no bearing on how much I love him. My mother was the one I talked things out with, not my Dad. But he is a wonderful father, always was. I know that, I recognize it. Always did, even when I wanted to flush him down the toilet, which was pretty often.

So, there you go. Totally useless, sage and invaluable advice.

Ivette

o

I'm glad people are checking back in even though some situations have changed course. I don't think taking care of yourself in whatever way you need to right now is entirely off the mojo track. Everyone has ups and downs - maybe the rest of the group can provide some moral support or just "listen". I'm wondering about Sweeby.....

o

Just a fast note to awm: I know the forum's rules about religion, and I think they're wise, for the most part. But I am going through some major changes in my own spiritual life and observances this year (even this week, as we speak), and I appreciate your words, even though we are of different faiths. I see this as a Mojo thing, too. I'm breaking out of the past, changing my way of looking at things, and trying to develop myself into a better person (at the ripe old age of 61, I'm not sure what I'll be when I grow up...but I'm amazed and happy to see that it's not too late to grow and change!). From my perspective, this is the beginning of a new year. So, in that spirit, I wish all of you a new burst of energy and success at getting back on course. As Gibby says, we all have ups and downs. Let's forgive ourselves, and get going again!

Sue

o

mtnester: I just NOW noticed you asked about my DH. Aren't you the sweetest!!! Thank you!

He's quite well. We're not sure yet what the heck is going on. He does have some calcification in his testicles, which is definitely not normal behavior. However the hotshot urologist (who is supposedly THE THE around here) assures DH that the connection of calcifications to testicular cancer is extremely controversial. Nonetheless, DH has to be watched as follows: sonograms every three months for the next two years, then semi-annually after that. If nothing changes, all is well. If anything does change, they nip it in the bud.

So on the one hand, it is kind of scary, but on the other hand it's very similar to me and my (okay, MAJOR personal secret revealing here) HPV and one bad pap almost ten years ago. Had a LEEP and haven't had a problem again, but I basically CANNOT under ANY circumstances ever miss a PAP test in my life, period. So, I watch it, it's under control. In a lot of ways, you could almost think of it as a positive, a blessing. Knowing in advance that you may have a higher risk for a particular type of cancer, so you watch yourself like a hawk and catch it early if you do get it.

Trying to think positively. And I cannot BELIEVE I just revealed the HPV thing, but what the hell. It's important stuff, and so many lives could be saved by having PAP's annually and knowing if you are one of the huge percentage of women who are infected with HPV virus.

Okay, anyway, thanks for asking SO much. That's where we are now.

I am going on a MAJOR crash diet and aerobic exercise program for the next month. I don't care how unhealthy it is. I have a wedding in Puerto Rico in November, black tie. NO discussion, I don't want to hear it! I'll be healthy afterwards. :)

Ivette

o

Thanks for the thoughtful words Sue. Yes, the forum's religion policy is understandable, though personally I don't think a casual mention of one's own religion (or even lack thereof) once in a blue moon is objectional. We all know our Mojo group is a diverse one -- we all bring something good & different to the table. Just wanted the group to know that when doing my "meditative exercise for positive change" that I'm thinking of you all with good will.

Yes, I'm needing spiritual cultivation lately too. Waaaay overdue for a tune-up.

Pirula, it is SOOO good to see you posting again! I've missed you :)

o

mtnester & Ivette, I really appreciate your thoughts on this issue we have going on here...you wouldn't believe how much I've depended on them the last couple of days (I couldn't post without one of them seeing it--and I don't know how long I have before I have to click this one off the screen, so it may go at any time LOL) You give me hope that maybe it will work out and she won't throw herself at a man who's bad for her and end up abandoned and dishonored, selling flowers in the alley...

and awm, I'm all for non-exclusive spiritual reinforcement...as long as one group doesn't say theirs is the only way, I'm fine with it :) When my daughter was born with an apgar of 2, then 2 again, I had most of a Catholic convent *and* an AME ladies' emergency prayer circle going for her; I was pulling out all the stops...and you know what? it worked. No way of telling who had you-know-who's ear the best, or maybe it was the fact that Catholics and AME folks were praying *together* that made the difference :)

And side note: not to be a wet blanket, but you might want to investigate splenda's side effects...I was bummed when I found out but have stopped using it completely.

o

Fly - here's more hope for your daughter's future relationships with men. My relationship with my father ranged from bad to non-existent. In spite of that I married a wonderful guy 28 years ago and we get along just great!!

o

"I'm wondering about Sweeby....."

Thanks for asking Gibby - I'm back! Just slinking down in my little 'not accomplishing what I should be' corner... Though I finally did make it to a 25 pound loss today. Only 5 more to go...

Some catch up notes:

- Totally agree that the start of Fall has something to do with the recent spate of mojo blahs... Sleep more, eat more, nest... Now if I can only reframe my 'Fall' thoughts into brisk bike rides, raking leaves, coffee instead of cocoa?

- *A* doctor - NOT. It's so *the right* doctor. Great observation. My hormones have been messed up for the last 11 years -- basically, nver got right again after my youngest was born. I was always depressed and super-weepy, borderline irrational... The first two doctors I was able to drag myself to both dismissed me completely. (And you know how hard it is to drag yourself to a doctor when you're feeling that way?) Finally, a good friend set me up with her endocrinologist, and he was able to identify the problem and treat it. THANK YOU! It seems to be so hard for some doctors (hate to be sexist, but men especially) to actually believe us when we tell them we're not feeling right in some subtle way.

- So Fly, DD and DH are not getting along... It's tough having to be the continual peacemaker. Is your daughter mature enough to tell you why she's acting the way she is? Or is it as simple as a core personality difference?

Glad to be back --

o

I just completed a 25-hour fast (for the first time in 40 years), and I'm feeling ready for a new beginning! And that goes for all the Mojo stuff, too. I'm feeling cleansed and ready for a fresh start. Tomorrow is a new day.

Ivette, I'm glad that both you and DH are mature enough to understand the importance of going for your periodic check-ups. The older I get, the more I realize that everybody has SOMEthing worrisome in their medical history or in their family's genetic endowment. But some people bury their heads in the sand and refuse to even get checked out for obvious signs and symptoms of problems or ignore their doctors' advice (I have somebody in particular in mind, whose initials are D.H.). Here's hoping that you two have many, many years of good health! And that is my wish for everyone else, too! I'm glad to see everybody coming back to post here. Let's stay in touch!

Sue

o

Hey to all. I have missed you!! But instead of *being here* I've been slinking around in a post-summer/here comes the cold funk. Daylight definitely is an issue.

Nice to catch up. Flyleft, I feel for you. Sweeby, Gibby, Ivette - hang in there. Sue, I just did a bit of a fast (empathic to DH colonoscopy fasting)... didn't help me, but oyu sound recharged. Good for you!!

Today was 80 degrees (about 20-25 over normal), bright and sunny. What a gift. And still it took me hours to push myself to get out there.

Enjoyed it immensely once I did get on that bike!!

What is with us all??

Celtic

o

WOW! I must be the only one who is thrilled with the cool weather, is anticpating even cooler weather and loves the shorter days and longer nights. But then again, I am a night person.

Gee wiz, don't I feel like the odd ball. This is my favorite time of year!

LOL
Ivette

o

Ivette - you're not alone - I like it too - and I'm a night person as well! I'm not a big hot weather fan. Summer's nice when the temps are moderate but too much heat and humidity are oppressive to me. I like spring and fall - the leaves are getting really beautiful here now - not quite at their peak. I went on a different route for my walk last weekend that I thought might be especially nice - it was so pretty - took some pictures that are so picturesque. It really was breathtaking and I couldn't help thinking several times how fortunate I am to be able to experience this. We live in a private community with these amazing trails through the woods and around several lakes - just awesome.

o

Ivette, no comments on "healthy" dieting but aren't you looking pretty fabulous anyway??? On days I need inspiration I think of you & Lori & chant to myself Intervals, Intervals, Intervals... You've worked so hard for so long! Are you feeling less than fit?

Em, are you still amazed to reach that fabulous goal?

What a journey it is, in so many ways.

o

oh athome,

No sweetie, I pretty much look like crap. But so help me that will change!!!

I just gotta get motivated and find me a doctor who can really treat this thing effectively (hopefully have), and then get MOVING again.

Ivette

o

athomein1914- it is good- especially now that I have dropped to a new smaller dress size. Sadly sometimes it all seems bitter sweet as the thinner I get the worse the saggy skin looks. Actually, that's one of the reasons I have been a bit quiet. I am feeling down in the dumps as we are hitting spring in Australia and I am facing a long hot summer where I feel too self conscious to wear short sleeved (let alone sleeveless) tops. : (
We have just borrowed the $ for the bathroom and kitchen renos (yeah), so surgery is a LONG way off in the future (boo).

Sorry to be un mojo.
But thanks for saying hi.
Em

o

Well, so you still gotta stay covered...
At least you'll look fabulous with your clothes on! Your skin will thank you.

o

I guess many good things are bittersweet. Someone asked me if I was worried about sagging skin with my weight loss. I said I'm more worried about not being able to do the things I love or not being around to watch my daughter grow up, perhaps meet grandchildren.

I don't wish to make light of any issue but I look in the mirror, and at other women, and remind myself that aging and living our fullest just might not "look pretty!" But being around a little longer, staying as healthy as possible, feeling fit enough to take new risks and strong enough to keep growing all feel better than pretty looks. And really, maybe we need to redefine success. In some cultures the appearance of aging is desirable because elders are respected.

Wish I could say I'm completely immune to the adoration of youth (and its tight skin!) in our culture. But I do remind myself of what I'm getting for the price I'm paying, and it does help.

On a much less philosophical note, does anyone here cook with stevia rather than sugar? Any tips? I notice some are concerned with sugar substitutes but my understanding is that the herb stevia is actually good for us. Maybe I should post this on the Cooking Forum...

And Ivette, I'm pulling for you to hang in over there! I hope you're not losing too much ground, you've worked so hard.

o

Hallooo out there! Where's everybody? Still in a season-changing funk? Me too!

BUT: I had my sinus surgery yesterday (some nerve, surgery on Friday the 13th) and it seems to have gone well. I won't know how well until all the packing is out in a few weeks. But this was a big Mojo item for me, not to continue suffering but to take action about something that has had a huge negative impact on my life for years. It's a long story, but it was so great to finally go to a doctor who listened to what I was saying, ordered the right tests and scans, and walked me through what could (and couldn't) be done. I'm off strenuous exercise for 4 weeks, but I can start walking Monday.

Naya

o

Hi all - I've been on vacation for the last week so a bit out of touch. It's the first time I've gone for seven days without any real exercise since January and I didn't like it. We also stayed with friends much of the time and I graciously ate whatever meals they made but it was not exactly healthy - lots of eggs, bacon, whole milk, hamburger, etc. - stuff I never eat. I had a great time but not exercising and eating like that really made me feel seriously yucky. I was happy to get back to my normal diet and exercise routine.

Nayasabrina - good to hear you have made it through your surgery. Hope you will soon be feeling better than ever.

On the topic of sagging flesh - I have always thought when you're older you do look better if you're not too thin - plump faces of course have fewer wrinkles. I feel like I look older since I've lost weight as my face is thinner along with everything else. Oh well - I guess I'd rather be living a healthier lifestyle even if it means looking older. Hopefully I'll be able to do more, longer - even if I don't look good doing it.

o

gibby3000, one of the ironies about losing weight & looking older for me is that, well, actually I AM getting older! I keep reminding myself that this is my goal!

o

re the sagging skin issue: I read recently in a magazine a local vitamin shop sends us (no, we're not steroid-popping bodybuilders, nor do we want to look like them :)) -- there was the story of one such bodybuilder who was insanely built up and when he decided to get back to normal looking he had to take it *really* slow, not lose too much weight too fast, in order to let his skin shrink back along with the rest of him rather than get the sags. Interesting that he handled his *debulking* as assiduously and carefully as he did his bulking up.

Just struck me in reference to your post, em.

I'm getting those jowly things on the sides of my chin, if misery is alleviated by company. No more turtlenecks for me...

But I color my hair (subtly, natural colors only, from natural foods market) and it helps me *feel* younger, at least...don't know if I'm fooling anyone.

o

Oh yeah - I'm pretty no frills, au naturale - but for the hair. I invest in the hair - don't care if I'm fooling anyone else or not - I like it for my own sake. And DH likes it - at one point he actually suggested I ask for something other than the usual "barnwood grey" at my next hair salon appt.....

o

LOL, I got it all going on here: jowls, grey hair (since my 20's), whatever...haven't worn a turtle neck in years!!

I was at a follow up with my dermatologist this week (I've had skin cancer x3 already, no melanomas, yay). She started me on a Retinoid last month. Yikes, all the flaking and burning. I told DH I'd rather dunk my face in battery acid and just get it over with. That or a belt sander. But dang, my skin was looking about 10 years better with way fewer crusty patches, bumps and blotches. Still, she burned off bunches more precancerous lesions on my face. (I'll look like I got attacked with a lit cigaret for the next week.)

Sigh. She says all these lesions would "definitely" become cancer and I'll need to use a retinoid for "the rest of your life". Now she is considering laser. A little disturbing, as she has followed me for 15 years and never been this aggressive in treatment...

Course I'm thinking: hey, doc, while you are at it, you want to laser out some of these here wrinkles? Shameful.

Ladies, lather on that sunscreen or else!

o

celtic, you should definitely get some party favor wrinkle treatments, after all that! Geez, and I thought *I* had skin cancer issues! (so yours were basal cell or squamous?) I was offered a Renova prescription but honestly after reading what you say I don't think I could handle the mortification for however long it takes before my skin is reborn...how did you go out in public like that? Was there any way to cover it or did you just say "I'm here, I'm using Renova, get used to it" :)?

o

Gee, I kind of like turtlenecks - am I going to have to give those up soon - how do I know when it's time?

Fly and Celtic - do you guys have a family history of skin cancer, over exposure to sun, ??? I'm concerned about DH who does have quite a family history of skin cancer, lots of moles, and trying to educate myself so I can educate him on what preventive measures he needs to take. He won't look into this himself but generally will follow my "medical" advice after I've provided it "enough" times.

o

Gibby, you will know when it is time to ditch the turtlenecks. What the heck....where is my jaw line? Why are my Dad's jowls on my face?? That's just wrong!

Not sure of family history, but definitely had overexposure on my fragile Irish skin. In the 1950's I was one of 9 (unsupervised) kids oceanside in New England. Burn, baby, burn. Over and over.

Fly, both squamous and basal. Long as it isn't melanoma I'm grateful, right? I shouldn't scare you off the Renova idea. I had tried it a couple years ago and, eh. But now I think it is miraculous. (You know how you start one day to dab a bit o concealer on a spot? When it is necessary. Then a couple years later you're dabbing like, 30 or 40 places? LOL. I'm happy to flake a bit and see all those crusts and spots recede.) So do consider the Renova, but definitely ask for those bitsy sample tubes to give it a try. Schmear emollient creams on your face and the flaking isn't visible at all. It's not all red and raw = horror movie, like I imagine a harsh chemical peel would be. Just flaking off of the top layer with perfectly normal (but better) skin underneath. Pretty funny when you wake up though and look in a mirror, all sloughing ...

Try to get DH to let a dermatologist give him a look. Just a baseline. Early stuff is very treatable. And there's some freaky pictures of skin cancers on the web if scaring him might help.

Thanks for letting me vent. The burn spots are now starting to scab over. Now *that*, unlike the flaking, looks pretty bad!! But it is just for a couple days.

o

No that anyone cares but I just wanted to say I'm doing the turtleneck test today and I still pass.

o

Gibby, you have a jawline?!

I'm so jealous... I love turtlenecks, especially dark ones. With skinny jeans. So Bohemian... (Sigh)

o

athome, I like your attitude.

Frankly, I don't care about baggy skin, wrinkles, jowls & gray hair as long as I'm fit, not fat, & in good health. It's not like I'm trying to attract anybody with beauty. Those days are over. Just as long as DH finds me attractive, but he seems to find me attractive no matter what. Bless his heart -- he used to tell me I was pretty back when I was 206 pounds.

Well, my weight loss seems to be stalling after 45 pounds. I feel like I could lose another 15, but we'll see. Maybe my body needs to recalibrate after losing 45 since January. What do you think, Em? Did this happen to you?

o

awm- I lost the initial 2/3 of the weight... then it seemed that no matter what I did or ate it wouldn't budge. I got disheartened and my weight even crept up a little.
I decided NO. I was going to keep going to the end. I started a new diet (it's a local Australian one) and started walking twice a day. The weight started dropping off me.
When you lose weight you weigh less, so if you workout for the same time and intensity over a period of time you are working out less and less each time as your weight drops. If you increase the intensity and/or time you will find that the weight loss will kick start again.
I did both. I started carrying hand weights, and doubled my workout time to 2 sessions a day. Even now I workout for at least 1 hr a day to maintain. If I want to lose I need to do more time or add weights again/ or perhaps jog for a bit then walk some more. Sometimes finding the time for more workouts is hard though.

Some research I did suggested that making the workout one long one would have less weightloss benefit that 2 shorter ones.

You can get off the plateau!

Em

o

Does anyone else find fall yard work to be quite a workout - or does everyone else have a DH who does it? Last weekend I spent a full day clearing pine needles, etc. at our lake cabin. Today I spent all day clearing leaves and other debris at home. Both places are pretty heavily wooded so there is ALOT of stuff to clean up. I do it with a blower and my hands - I'm not even raking - which would probably bring on a coronary arrest!! Today I even got my heart rate up to the level I do when riding the exercise bike - albeit not for 30 mins. We do have a hilly lot so I guess that has something to do with it. Last weekend and today I decided seven hours of that was equivalent to a 40 min ride on the exercise bike so I skipped the bike. I think I'm getting too old for this - every joint in my body seems to be aching.....time for a hot bath.

How's everyone else doing?

o

Doing fine, gibby, thanks for asking. I have 2 new step videos that are going to be a real challenge (but I like challenges). The choreography in one is hard, so that will keep me busy trying to learn it. And both are very intense, beyond my current fitness level. So I have a good new fitness goal: to be able to do these videos. It will be nice to have another exercise option besides the elliptical trainer this winter .

Finally got off my plateau & dropped a couple of pounds. Took awhile to get comfortable with a lower calorie amount, but I think I can do it now.

Some stress factors have mitigated: #1 son has a part-time job, & #3 son (my ADD baby) seems to be doing okay at the local community college. I'm holding my breath that these little successes last.

And the rest of you? Hope all's well.

o

Stress eating... but am hand hammering out floor tiles with a bolster so seem to be getting away with it!

Em

o

Work is manageable, weight is right where I want it, hitting the Y 3x a week for a couple weeks now, face has healed pretty well....it is all good! Today I break out a sewing machine DH bought me 5 years ago and try to figure out how to use it. Should be interesting....

And the rest of you??

o

Well... mid reno!
Bathroom, done.
Floors... (nightmare)
Kitchen, partially installed and without sink/cooking.

So, stressed and cranky. Exercising to keep up those endorphins.

Did I miss it..? what are you sewing celtic moon?
Em

o

Hey Em. Just needed to hem some super worn comfy chino pants I got at the Goodwill for DH and DB for an upcoming trip (DB's 50th birthday). No jeans allowed at dinner there, and that is all DB owns. Wanted them broken-in comfortable, so new was out.

DH gifted me a sewing machine - in 1989 it appears. Never tried it until just now. Hardest part was finding the manual on the internet!!! Never sewed a stich in my life before this. LOL. The bar was pretty low: plenty more pants at the Goodwill if I screwed em up. And DH's plan was to just cut them with a scizzers! Shoot. They came out better than that!

Feeling pretty Mojo about rising to the challenge. Maybe I'll consider some curtains: been in this house 8 years. Probably time to settle in!

Rest of you all are pretty quiet...

o

Hey celtic- I am a 'bit' of a sewer and my tip based on experience is 'measure twice (or more!) cut once'. : )

Em

o

hey mojo pals!

I've been MIA...got off the train for a stretch and missed it when it left the station...

I am trying to get back on....I've had a physical and lots of tests and I am perfectly healthy supposedly...no diabetes, no thyroid probs, no Lyme, No "female problems", low cholesterol, the lump in my neck went away...so why do I still feel only about 75% most of the time?? I *am* within inches of being diagnosed with glaucoma...my pressure has been high for years and though my fields test come out fine, my optic nerve is showing some thinning...I go to talk to the doc on Sep 28..

to top it off, at my last competition on Oct 8, I turned my left ankle pretty seriously. While I am fine to walk on it with no pain, any lateral movement still hurts a month later and there is often tingling up the outside of my leg.... I called my doc yesterday and they wee supposed to get back to me about heading over for x-rays...I am still waiting...

I think I will start to get back into upper body workouts, instead of just letting everything slide until my ankle feels better...

looking forward to a fresh start on Part 5....

Nancy

o

Hey, Nancy. Sorry about your ankle -- what bad luck. Hope it heals quickly. And congrats on your successful check up. So glad the lump in your neck disappeared.

Anybody have good plans for getting through the holidays? I will weigh myself daily (my usual routine, actually) and will throw out or donate to a food bank any edible gifts that aren't diet-friendly. The treats I make taste better than the commercially made stuff anyway. I hope I can practice judicious cookie & candy eating...like maybe 1 piece a day.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here