Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Refacing kitchen help

Posted by s.gregory1958 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 17, 08 at 18:25

I have heard the good and the bad regarding cabinet refacing. HD make it sound as if DIY project of a kitchen will only look professional if they do it. Fact or Fiction? It really doesn't look to be all that difficult or am I just kidding myself. Any advise will be welcomed to assist me with my decision.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Refacing kitchen help

You might do better with responses if you post this over on the discussions side. This side is for the off topic threads, and yours is about as ON topic as it gets!! :-)

I see you just joined today! Let me be the first to say welcome to the insanity!! :-)

One way or the other, I couldn't help you on this. I'm one of the resident tile guys. Anything tile, I can help with!

o

Just repost over in kitchen discussions. You will get tons of answers. In the meantime, I had my entire kitchen refaced in a medium cherry. It was done by 2 guys, small business. They went beyond the call of duty and it turned out beautiful.

Going to Home Shows I have noticed a lot of refacing jobs are not up to par. Biggest issue is the overlays on edges which were chipped. I recommend you ask to look at existing work before committing. Some do not use real wood, although more expensive with wood it is worth it if going the reface route.

Pricing is definitely a consideration. CAn be all over the place, but also dependant upon materials and quality. Sometimes new cabinets may only cost a bit more. Also, Sears was a joke just looking at their samples.

o

Don't use Home Depost. They gave me a quote for my kitchen that was more then $3,400.00 more then a local person. They are very pricy. Shop around.

o

How do you post on the "discussions side", as Bill recommended? Where so I find a link?

Thanks!

o

If you look at the top of the list of threads, you will see the following:

Off-Topic Conversations [Switch to: Discussions : Gallery]

Click on the "Discussions" link. Or....see the link below!

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Forum/Discussions

o

Being in the refacing business for over 25 years and refacing over 2000 kitchens to date I strongly suggest a professional. I've seen more than my share of d,i,y disasters in my career.
I'm located in north east Illinois if you are interested?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here