Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lmalm53_gw

OT- We Lost a Dear Friend Today

lmalm53
15 years ago

We had to say goodbye to our sweet Libby this morning. She was our 14 year and 9 months old black lab. I know everyone loves their pets and I have had many throughout my life, but I have never found it easy to say goodbye to any of them. Libby was special in our eyes. She had a long life, but a good part of it was with health problems. We brought her home in 1993 when she was just 7 weeks old. A typical happy, energetic lab puppy, she grew into a beautiful young lab over the next few years. She was robust, head strong, loving and gentle.

At the age of 5 she had an apparent fall while outside after a heavy ice storm and was found to have 4 ruptured thoracic/lumbar vertebrae, basically a broken back. After the emergency surgery they said she might never walk again. She was paralyzed on her hind end for almost 4 months when she gradually began to regain her ability to walk. Her gait never quite returned to normal in fact when she ran she looked like a bunny rabbit bringing both hind legs up together, but she loved life and managed to do most anything she wanted through sheer determination.

The years passed, and health issues continued to rise, which at times seemed to harbinger the end for Libby, but to the amazement of her vet and many others she always managed to find the strength and willpower to prove them wrong. If sheer determination was all it took, Libby would be with us still, but time stops for no one, and LibbyÂs body was wearing out.

This last year she had been unable to walk at all without assistance. We managed to take her for "walks" in her little red wagon and she loved visiting the neighbors and her doggy friends during nice weather. My husband and I knew that we would let Libby tell us when it was her time to go. As long as I saw those inquisitive eyes, wagging tail and eager appetite I knew that she still had some quality of life. Long belly rubs and playing with her stuffed bear were still some of her favorite pastimes.

But as it sometimes happens, Libby was fine when she went to bed last night, but this morning the change had occurred. No wagging tail to greet me, listless eyes that bespoke of pain and sadness, unable to raise her head to greet me. My heart sank as I listened to her labored breath, because I knew her time had come. The vet said she most likely had some internal growths causing bleeding and pressure.

My husband and I were with her, holding and talking to her right to the end. Her passing was peaceful and I wholeheartedly believe that she is now finally free, healthy, happy, running and jumping as she had not been able to do for so long.

We will miss her dearly, as we do all our pets. She was a part of our life for almost 15 years and will always be a part of our hearts. Thank you for letting me share her with you. I know that those of you with beloved pets will understand how we feel.

Here are a few pics of our girl. They will always remind us of the many good times we shared with her.

Libby in 1998 before her back injury:

Libby always with a smile!

Her favorite mode of transportation along with her Buddy Bear:

Libby making the rounds in the neighborhood:

Laying on the deck, soaking up the fresh air and smells:

Our Sweet Girl to the very end. Finally Free on July 12, 2008:

Comments (54)

• brachl
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am so sorry. She looks like she was a wonderful friend. My beloved 11 year-old 1/2 Chow is battling cancer, and I want more than anything for him to be comfortable and able to enjoy what time he has left. If you have not read it, I recommend Eugene O'Neill's The Last Will & Testament of a Very Distinguished Dog. There's a nice edition available on Amazon, but you can probably find the text on the web. It's written from the viewpoint of O'Neill's aged dog who is close to death, and I found it very moving.

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

Libby was a lucky lady to have you in her life!
    She was a beautiful girl!
    We have Bosco our 11 yr. old chocolate lab who
    we love dearly and enjoy each day with.
    Thanks for sharing with us and I will keep you in
    my thoughts.

• ging9
    15 years ago

I cried when I read your post. I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I thank you though because in reading of your heartfelt journey with your Libby, I remembered my special pets that are no longer here, and smiled. It is always nice to remember those that are no longer with us so fondly.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

I am typing with tears running down my face. There is nothing I can say to make the loss any easier. What a beautiful, intelligent and sweet beastie. My heart goes out to you and your family.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

• cotehele
    15 years ago

lamla, Reading about Libby's life with your family made me smile. She was a dear part of your family, and without a doubt knew how much she was loved. I was going to post the Rainbow Bridge, and saw mustbnuts already has.

• flatcoat2004
    15 years ago

Ohhhhhhhhh sweet girl, I am so so sorry. I also am typing with tears on my face. I can't imagine how empty you must feel now, but you gave her two wonderful gifts - her life with you, and the gift of her passing. I dread the day that I have to do that, but I hope I have the strength to do it as you have.

Labs are so special, I love my black labbie boy with my entire heart ...

My thoughts are with you and your family.

• Jean Popowitz
    15 years ago

I can tell you were wonderful to Libby and that she was an important part of your life. I have lost 4 dear dogs and 3 cats and know what pain you are going through. I always say, "Never again", and then find myself down at the rescue shelter two or three weeks later. It's never easy, but always worth opening your heart and home to a fur-baby.

Hugs to you.

• jujybean
    15 years ago

You have my deepest and sincerest condolences. I can't stop crying for your loss. Last year we lost our furbaby and whenever I read of someone else's loss, I feel the sorrow all over again. It is never easy to say goodbye those you hold in a special place.

Furrball Whiteshadow Bandit RIP 9/26/07

• cathyinbothell
    15 years ago

I am so sorry to hear about your darling Libby. Those of us who love animals know the depth of that pain. We put our cat down after 19 years and the last two years were spent giving her insulin shots twice a day. I admire and understand the great care that you gave her. So sorry for your loss,

Cathy

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

It's always tough to lose a family member, even one of the four legged furry variety. But especially after having her for so long, I'm sure this is difficult to the nth degree. She'll stay with you, you can bet on that. You can see the love in her eyes. She just won't have the physical confines of her body. She's a beautiful pup.

• goldie5
    15 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. My thoughts are with you. Hugs.

• cursivesailor
    15 years ago

I am very sorry for your loss. I know just how bad it feels, and just how hard it is to get over. The sadness will ease, with time. Believe me....

I loss my Catahoula Leopard Hound, McKenzie, in 2005. She passed away when the floodwaters of Hurricane Katrina entered our house. It was extremely hard to deal with, by far the hardest of everything that happened to us because of the storm. But now three years later I still think of her often- It still saddens me, but its easier. Its good memories.

RIP McKenzie, my sweet fat girl (The younger darker one) along with her sister Marley (on the left, barely survived Katrina - 3 weeks in a flooded house w/ no food)

All my sympathies!

• nomorebluekitchen
    15 years ago

I am so sorry! We humans are so blessed when we have our furry friends in our lives. Wouldn't it be great if we all could be as unconditionally loving as our dogs are to us? Always the wagging tail, the happy face - they are truly man's best friend!

You were so brave to help her at the end. I had to do that for my dear pug Chobie in January of 08 and it was the hardest and yet the best thing I've ever done.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

Anita

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Oh, I am so sorry! Libby was a beauty with a beautiful spirit, and she was obviously lucky to have you as her human! It is so hard when we lose our babies - I lost my beautiful cat Ossie 10 years ago this August, and I still think about him every single day. Libby will live on in your heart forever.

HUGS!

• brutuses
    15 years ago

I am so sorry to hear of your Libby's passing. She was a gorgeous baby and so lucky to have you and the wonderful life she lived with you. She lived a good old age for a lab and that you can take credit for. She's at the rainbow bridge now with my Scotty, who I lost after 19 years, and all the others I have recently had to say goodbye to. I do animal rescue work so one of the pitfals is having to say goodbye more frequently then the average person. Like so many have said, it's never easy. God bless you for giving her a wonderful life.

• boxiebabe
    15 years ago

I am SO sorry for you and your family to have lost such a great family member. What a nice tribute to Libby you've written. My own little girl, Ollie, is pushing 16 and her face gets a little grayer each year, and she's losing her hearing now. Thankfully, she seems pretty healthy for her age. I can't imagine how much you're grieving, and I wish you peace and comfort.

">

• printersdevil
    15 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing some wonderful memories of Libby with us. My precious Dauschund Blackjack is battling a prostrate tumor, but, like you we are trusting in our love and knowledge of him and his wonderful spirit and love. He was my late son's dog, so he is doubly precious to us.

Bless you for sharing such love with Libby. She, too, was blessed.

• clc08
    15 years ago

Oh gosh, big tears here, too. I'm so terribly sorry for your sadness. What a gorgeous girl...how lucky Libby was to have you.. Yes, we do understand your sorrow. We also lost our beloved male Golden, Beau a year ago Jan 31st and his sweetie sister, Jassy just went to Rainbow's Bridge this June 13th. He was 12 and she was 14. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and hope you find comfort in your wonderful memories.
    Here's a pic of my Jazzy...

• bryce5
    15 years ago

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss of Libby. What a beautiful dog! Libby was so lucky to have you for being the wonderful caretaker and friend. She was very much loved. We lost our beloved Pax when he was 11 years old. May you find some comfort knowing that you gave Libby the best possible care and that she is no longer in pain. Time and memories will hopefully heal your heart.

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

she was beautiful !!! I wish you strength and courage in this difficult time.
    Our Roxie is turning 14 this fall.

• theresab1
    15 years ago

so sorry for your loss. sounds like you gave your dog a wonderful life filled with love and companionship. I am near where you are- our 14 year old dog is struggling, and we too are waiting for her to tell us its time- its not easy.

• bestyears
    15 years ago

I'm so terribly sorry. People who deeply love their animal friends do so with an abandon that comes with their complete acceptance of us. And when we lose them, it leaves us looking for a sure footing in the world again.

I'm passing along a short poem which has comforted me...

They will not go quietly,
    the dogs who've shared our lives.
    In subtle ways they let us know
    their spirit still survives.
    Old habits still make us think
    we hear a woof at the door.
    Or step back when we drop
    a tasty morsel on the floor.
    Our feet still go around the place
    the food dish used to be,
    And, sometimes, coming home at night,
    we miss them terribly.
    And although time may bring new friends
    and a new food dish to fill,
    That one place in our hearts
    belongs to them ... and always will.

-by Linda Barnes

• jessie21
    15 years ago

i am so so sorry to hear of your loss. it's deep and profound, i know. she surely was a sweet girl.

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

So sorry for you and your family for the loss of your sweet pet.
    Barb

• mailynn
    15 years ago

May I add my sentiments as well. I don't have a dog but my heart goes out to you on the loss of your dear sweet Libby. Isn't it amazing how much our furry companions can take over our lives and out hearts and how sad we are when they are no longer around to share and enhance our lives. I know that you must miss her terribly and will probably continue to do so butI hope that you find solace in your memories of her and know in your heart that you did your best for her even to the end when you made the final decision. RIP dearest Libby

Mai Lynn

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

It is never easy when they go, and yet we'd do it again in a heartbeat for the chnace at the too brief, yet wonderful time we are able to share with them.

My heart goes out to you and your family for your loss. Libby was lucky to have you, and you, her.

(((HUGS)))

• emilynewhome
    15 years ago

In this period of great sadness, try to remember that we are all here for just a measured time.
    How fortunate and lucky you were to have each other, loyal and faithful companions on this earthly journey.
    Take comfort in all those wonderful memories you made and shared. Love never dies.
    When the time comes for each and everyone of us to shed these mortal bodies it will be a joyous occasion, being with ALL our loved ones once again!
    Bless you!

• tetrazzini
    15 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear about Libby, you wrote about her so beautifully. I know it hurts. That's the hard thing about pets, and why we hesitated before adding them to our family: You love them so much but their lives are too short. It sounds like the quality of her life was great tho, with lots of love to share with you. Be happy for that -- she was a lucky dog.

• muscat
    15 years ago

I'm so very sorry. Having gone through this is May, with my beloved old dog who needed lots of help everyday, I really feel for where you are right now. She was really lucky to have you as family though, and all those years she enjoyed after her back surgery were a gift that not many dogs get, so cheers to you for giving her those 10 years of life, and cheers to her for brightening yours.

• maydl
    15 years ago

For you to have raised your lab pup to almost 15 years old just tells me how wonderfully loving and attentive you were to her needs. Please take comfort from knowing what a good life you gave her. Your memories of the joy you brought to each other will be with you always.

• breezy_2
    15 years ago

We are so sorry to hear of your loss. It seems we have very similar stories about our little female labs. We are not sure how ours was injured but she lost her fight about a month ago at age 12+. Similar to your Libby, ours went down hill very quickly in the end with multiple health issues and we were all with her for her passing.

Libby looked like she could have been the litter mate to ours. It is always very difficult to lose a pet after so many years.

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I always cry when someone loses a pet...it's hard to hear that a loved one is gone. I am with you on hoping the darling is in a better place now, with no pain.

My heart goes out to you and your family!

• farmhousebound
    15 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss but know that your family gave her a wonderful life and were repaid by all of the love and joy that she gave you in return. May your memories of her comfort you.

Thank you so much for sharing your story as I am going through a similar time with one of mine and it has helped me know that as of now, I am still doing the right thing by him--"As long as I saw those inquisitive eyes, wagging tail and eager appetite I knew that she still had some quality of life."

• lisa226
    15 years ago

so sorry about your sweet libby.....I am praying right now that God would ease the the pain...and give you the faith to know you will see her again one day where there will be no more death,,,no more sickness...no more pain,.... again...so sorry for your loss...lysa

• amck2
    15 years ago

My heartfelt sympathies to you and your family on the loss of Libby. Thanks for sharing the pictures. She clearly had a special place in your family. Hope you will soon find comfort and joy in your memories of her.

• huango
    15 years ago

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Thank you very much for sharing your loving experiences and memory.

My DH walked into the office and found me tearing up. He didn't know what to do so he bolted. It's because I am NOT a crier. I didn't even cry at my own wedding.
    But when someone loses their pet, it really tugs at my heart.

Because my first baby is my Chinese shar pei "Ruud". He just turned 11. Supposedly his breed doesn't age past 10 years, so I feel like we're on borrowed time. So I cry just thinking about how we will go on without him.
    My children have never known life w/out Ruud.
    I find myself staring at him, trying to memorize him.

I'm crying so hard right now, I can barely see my screen of what I am typing.

Again, sorry for your loss.
    Amanda

• abmatt
    15 years ago

I'm so glad that you feel safe to share on this board.

You gave Libby the best home on this earth---she knew she could count on you and your family to keep her best interest at heart. She outsmarted ill health all those other times based on determination AND the big dose of LOVE from her human family.

We lost a special cat a few years ago and like Libby, one night he was holding his own and the next morning there was no mistaking that the time had come. My husband cried and blubbered like a baby when he held "Gus" on his lap for the vet to take care of things.

I can't even watch the news when they introduce a report on animal cruelty---it's just too much.

We'll all be thinking of you over the next few days as you try to adjust.

Anne

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am overwhelmed by the outpouring of love and understanding I have found here. Your poems, your pics and your stories of loved pets have all helped to make Libby's passing easier for us.

I have spent the day washing her bedding, collecting her toys, feeding bowls, leashes, looking through the many pics I have of her. Each item brings a flood of memories, sweet glimpses of my girl as a pup and the joy it was to have her in our lives. I currently have no plans for another dog. I know that might change with time, but we still have our two 15 year old cats and they give us lots of comfort now.

My husband and I have been married 36 years and no children of our own. So you can imagine that our furbabies are indeed greatly loved and part of the family. Our hearts are saddened, and yet I smile, knowing my lovely Libby is young and whole and fast as the wind now.

Thank you all so much for your supportive and understanding comments. They really do help.

• sherilynn
    15 years ago

I think each and everyone of you are precious. I never really understood, no..., allowed myself to become attached to an animal since I was 17. I owned an 8 week old mini dachshund for about two seconds and the little squirt darted to the road outside and got run over. We didn't even have 'stuff' for an animal because we just got home from picking him up. I never forgave myself or forgot the pain of the loss.

I raised my children without animals, too. When my older two kiddos moved out, before the ink was signed on their rental agreement they had adopted pets. No joke. This past January, my daughter moved in and out within a month leaving me with a four month old silky terrier. We've now grown to love and appreciate this little guy. I hate how we've missed all these years without pets. I'm learning every day how to be a better pet owner.

I feel your pain for your loss and hope that your heart and memories remain full and comfort you as you recall all of the funny, warm times you shared together.

What a blessed home you provided for a wonderful companion. I know you cannot replace Libby, but you can still love another. The love you have in your heart is like elastic....ever expanding. Your home is a haven of love. Don't do what I did and avoid stretching your heart for a long period of time.

I hope you are blessed immensely. And to each of you that have shared the love you have had for your pet. It's a beautiful, touching read. Albeit messy over coffee. Blubber and coffee don't go together.

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

I understand. My beloved Lucy left us last Thursday.

Our vet gave us a copy of this poem and we have found it comforting:

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
    There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
    There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
    The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

-Author unknown

Maybe Lucy and Libby are playing together...

• celticmoon
    15 years ago

OK, stopped crying enough to see now the Rainbow Bridge was already posted...

...worth the double post though. So comforting to imagine our pets running and leaping and alert again.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

celticmoon, I am so sorry for your loss, too.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Same here. I made it all the way thru until I got to your post. (I started reading from my post above on down, and didn't see the other post).

Had my wife read it, too..... and then handed HER the paper towels, as well.

• davek913
    15 years ago

I'm very sorry to hear about Libby and my heart goes out to you.

We lost our beloved black domestic shorthair Louie a year ago back on the 9th. In late 2005 he developed vaccine associated feline sarcoma on his right rear leg. We made a very difficult decision to have his leg removed and nursed him back after he came home with staples where his leg was. I second guessed that decision time and again but he seemed happy after recovering and adapted to the loss of the leg. Never failed to come down every night around nine as always for a snack and to curl up and have his stomach rubbed.

Spring of last year I was rubbing his stump and felt another lump and knew it was back. I knew then that there was nothing more we could do. We made him as happy and comfortable as possible and gave him as many of his favorite treats as he wanted, to hades with the daily allowances.

He got skinnier and skinnier, then two weeks before he passed he took to sleeping in the bonus room downstairs under a slipcover. I knew his time was coming and it did soon. One day he was (relative to his condition)fine, the next he was almost gone. We rushed him to our vet and sent him home. I told him, "If I knew this would happen today, we would have done this yesterday." It was all I could do to keep from crying as we drove him there but I couldn't help myself once we got there. We were silent the whole way home and when we got there, there was his cat tree, his toys, upstairs the house I rebuilt so he could lay in his favorite spot when the sun came up.

I still second guess the decision for him to have that surgery at times but I know this: We loved him and right up until the end, he loved us. He was one of the most affectionate cats I've ever seen and it was months before I got used to him not being around. Even now I sweep my feet across the step out of habit if I wake up in the night and go downstairs to make sure he wasn't sleeping on the step waiting for us.

Libby, say hello to Louie for us.

Rest in peace, beloved Libby, Louie and all their friends in this thread.

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I just found that this post had been moved to the conversation thread and have been reading the additional posts. Celticmoon and Davek913 I am sure that Libby and Lucy and Louie are all happily romping and playing together now. It hurts so much to hear of everyone else's loss because it just reminds me of my own, but it also brightens my heart to hear how so many of us have had our lives touched by the love of an animal.

I lost Libby just over 2 weeks now and I still think I hear her and see her all the time. I picked up Libby's ashes at the vets office last week along with her little red wagon and other items that were left behind the day we had to say goodbye. Libby got one last ride home in her wagon as the staff placed her ashes there, tears in their eyes because they loved her too.

I still have my 2 wonderful cats, Boo Boo and Socks at home to love, but I can't bear thinking about having to say goodbye to them one day too. So I try to make the most of each day and be grateful that I have shared my life with so many wonderful animal friends.

Thank you to all of you who have shared your own stories of loss and your heartfelt condolences.

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I just found this thread again. Reminded of the pain of losing our sweet Libby, we found ourselves having to say goodbye to another beloved pet just last week. Our precious Boo Boo Kitty made her way to Rainbow Bridge following a year of unexplained weight loss and finally a rare cancer diagnosis 6 months ago. She was a rescue kitty we welcomed to our home in the Fall of 1993. We don't know exactly how old she was when we got her but at least 6 months at the time. She must have been getting close to 17 years old when she passed.

We love all our pets and they are each unique in personality and demeanor, but Boo was such a bright, intuitive, affectionate and totally mischievous little soul that there will never be another like her. Always demanding the center of attention, but in such an adorable fashion that no one could deny her.

She was the best companion of my husband, who historically was never a pet lover. Yet his heart was won over within the first moments of her arrival to our home, when Boo immediately crawled onto his big chest, wrapped her paws around his neck and began purring her acceptance of her new family. From that moment they were inseparable and shared a lifelong bond of love and affection, mixed with mutual joy as they practiced the art of "play battle". Boo hiding and pouncing on my husband from all possible angles of attack until he would pin her in his arms, smothering her with hugs.

As her battle with cancer caused her body to thin, tire more easily and struggle to control normal functions, she still remained our loving, affectionate, ever present companion who continued to insist on being the focus of our attention. She spent long evenings cuddled in our laps, telling us it was ok to just sit and enjoy our time together, the chores and schedules could wait...our time together was limited and thus more precious.

We are so grateful to have had the honor and blessing of sharing our lives with our beautiful Boo. The pain of parting is so sharp and intense, we continue to see her in our minds eye around every corner, in her favorite sunny spots and waking us in the mornings with her soft paws upon our cheeks. As much as it hurts now, the years of shared love and memories make it all worthwhile. Someday we will cross that Rainbow Bridge, warmly greeted and surrounded by our precious companions who wait for us there now.
    Some pics of our little Boo Boo Kitty:

Her gorgeous eyes

Precious Boo

Sleeping Boo

Curious Boo

Lazy Boo

Her Highness Boo

• celticmoon
    14 years ago

lmalm53,

I hadn't been by this forum either for a couple months, but came around for some reason tonight. So sorry to read you have had another loss. Sad for your husband too, as he was so taken with Boo Boo. No wonder. Beautiful animal.

• lmalm53
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Celtic,

Thanks so much for your comments. We do miss Boo and Libby as I know you must still miss your Lucy. We have one cat still with us, Socks who is also going on 17 years old but still healthy. It is a comfort to have her with us when we get sad over missing Boo. Hopefully, she has many good years left.

Life is full of loving and having to let go. It doesn't ever get easier even though we know it is unavoidable.

• arleneb
    14 years ago

To lmalm and all of you who have lost furfriends . . . hugs and heartfelt sympathy. Our beloved Sam died in December of 2007 and I miss him every day. You did a wonderful job of caring for your special needs dog. Your photos of Libby and Boo show both your love for them and theirs for you.

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago

Reprinted from Chicken Soup for the Soul

A Dog's Purpose? (from a 6-year-old).

Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish Wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife Lisa, and their little boy Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle.

I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home.

As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt as though Shane might learn something from the experience.

The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker 's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away.

The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's Death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives.
    Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, ''I know why.''

Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me.. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. It has changed the way I try and live.

He said,''People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life -- like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?'' The Six-year-old continued,

''Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long.''

Sponsored
Snider & Metcalf Interior Design, LTD
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Leading Interior Designers in Columbus, Ohio & Ponte Vedra, Florida