Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

My visit to NYC....journal...

User
15 years ago

Here is the log my DB insisted I keep. All of my family is astounded at how much I was able to do and see. Hope you enjoy . It is long so be warned :)

Day 1 July 2- arrived LaGuardia at 3:30 PM arrived Manhattan 4:30 PM. Walked to Metro Bikes and by 5:15 PM I had bought a 7 speed Schwinn bike for $250 so I could get around quickly and cheaply and also get a lot of exercise. Rode new bike from bike shop on 47th St and 9th Ave to DB's apt at 55th St and 7th Ave. and then to Central Park, only 4 blocks away and did a loop around the park . The outer loop is 6.1 miles. It is a well marked bike lane.

Day 2 -- rode up the Hudson River bike path. It is at 12th Ave and runs from the southern tip of Manhattan to the northern tip along the West side. I rode from 55th St up to the top at Inwood Hill Park. This is the site where the Dutch governor Peter Minuit purchased Manhattan Island from the Canarsie Indians for 60 guilders. in 1626. Rode back to apt and in the afternoon bike in Central Park again.

Day 3 -- July 4th. It is my SIL's Birthday ! I got up early and it was misting rain. I rode south on Broadway, there is a bike lane...sorta...part of the way, and found the Broooklyn Bridge. I rode across with a gal I met as I entered the bridge bike lane. We enjoyed our ride in the rain and were awed by the Statue of Liberty's beauty in the early misty light. She went on to her home and I biked back across the bridge back up Broadway and to the park and did 2 loops in pouring rain...park was deserted and beautiful. At 8 PM I biked to the East River and 42nd St. and waited til 9:25 PM when the fireworks on the anchored barges were set off. BEAUTIFUL. Biked back to apt. It rained off and on but stopped for the fireworks.

Day 4--DB and SIL and her Mom are leaving today for Fl. I got upi early and biked to Union Square green market. Bought great fruits and vegs and took wonderful pics. I will post them separately. Home to say BYE to family and then I biked the East River bike path from 55th up to Harlem. Not nearly as nice as the Westside.

Day 5-- Joined the New York Cycling Club for their ride from City Hall Park. We met there and then biked to the Statin Island Ferry. Took the ferry and then biked all over SI , went to 2 parks and also a field where they fly huge model airplanes. Then to an Itl. grocery where we all bought yummy stuff and had a picnic. Back to ferry and then to City Hall and home. Got in about 40 miles . Met new friends on the bike ride and met them for a free concert at the MOMA museum , which is just around the corner from the apt. We had a picnic and listened to the Attacca String Quartet. A free concert. They are new Juilliard graduates and wonderful musicians. Went for drinks after and got home at midnight.

Day 6 -- Guggenheim Museum. Walked to and took bus home. Louise Bourgeois exhibit was wonderful. Got home in time to clean up and bike to Pace University, by the Brooklyn Bridge. Michael Schimmel Hall to heat Jose Franch Ballester. He is an amazing Spanish clarinetist. Free concert. Bike home. Got lost in China town but folks were lovely and finally found my way back to apt. Note to self make sure of directions before leaving concerts !!

Day 7 -- met biking friend at Central Park and we did 5 fast loops around park...30 miles. Did errands on bike after ride. Met a neighbor in the building and she invited me to Maison's for lunch. We spent 2 1/2 hrs talking. She is so interesting. Prof. viola player and has lived in this building 35 years. Rode bike to Frick Museum at 6:30 PM for fabulous reed quintet. They are from the Netherlands...Calefax Quintet. Cost $20. Rode home.

Day 8-- Whitney Museum. biked to/from. Paul McCarthey exhibit, Buckminster Fuller and Mapplethorpe photos. In the PM biked to North Meadow via Hudson Bike path and listened to the Avett Brothers...fave group from NC. Free concert. Biked home LATE...beautiful ride late at night along river.

Day 9 -- Golds Gym at 9:30 AM. Got a visiting membership. Has 3 floors and is great. Worked out for 1 1/2 hrs. Biked to World Finance Center for free concert at 12:30 PM. Brazilian jazz group led by Jovino Santos Neto. Great music. Food tasing going on also in WFC with all the restaurants in the lobby and so since I had brought my sandwich from home I bought 3 desserts...ate them all and a cup of coffee then biked to Brooklyn. Got a flat and had a great experience with locals walking me to bike shop to get it fixed. They directed me to the Fairway Grocery and I bought a cold drink and sat on the terrace and drank it and watched the river traffic. Biked on to the water taxi and took it to South St. and then biked home. Cleaned up and biked back to Wagner Park along the Hudson to a free concert , blues guitarist John Hammond. Biked home.

Day 10 -- Golds at 9 :30 AM. same as yesterday. Biked to WFC again to hear free concert Phillipe Baden-Powell piano jazz trio. Brazil is very well represented in NYC this summer at the River to River free concerts. Home again and walked to Birdland for a Big Band group that plays...it was OK but not great. Only dissapointment and it was the most expensive...$40 of the whole trip.

Day 11-- Saturday !! July 12th. Met GW Kitchen Forum friends at Union Square and we had a wonderful time. There were 9 of us. We had lunch at Blue Water Grill. We talked and laughed for hours. Then some left and the rest of us did the green market. The we walked the West Village and talked and talked. Then we hurried to the subway and got to Becco for our 7:30 PM dinner reservation. Had a fabulous dinner and talked and laughed for hours. Walked me home and talked to 12:30 AM. Friends left to get car and drive home.

Day 12-- up to meet cycling group again and we went on the SI ferry again only this time after reaching SI we biked to and across the Bayonne Bridge and then through Libery Park and Jersey City and finally to Hoboken where we bought food and had a picnic by the water at a beautiful park. Took water taxi back home to 42nd street and then biked home. About 30 mile bike. Met biking buddy again for free concert at MOMA. Had a picnic again...wine, chicken grilled asparagus, cheese and cherries etc...wonderful music and fun. It was Billy Bang and his jazz group.

Day 13 -- MOMA Museum with free pass from friend. dali exhibit was really good. Museum is 6 floors. I saw it all ...spent 4 hrs. Biked to Pace U again for free concert and met biking buddy there. Had a picnic on park bench with her before concert. Jose Feghali piano concert. Wonderful. Brazil again. Biked with friend home and not lost this time :).

Day 14--Golds at 9:30 AM. Walked to 47th and 9th Ave and met a Kitchen Forum buddy for lunch. Had a wonderful time talking kitchens and lots of other stuff and a Tunisian lunch to boot. Great. Errands on bike after walking her back to work. Rode to park and did 2 quick loops. Biked to WFC for a 9 PM free concert. Fennez/ Sakamoto. Very unusual electronic music. Huge crowd. Bike very slowly home for last night in NYC. The lights and flowers and evening breeze off the Hudson...truly a memorable and fun-filled 2 weeks. Caroline

Comments (10)

• marthavila
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Wow, Caroline.
    That sounds like some two weeks! I tell you, I'm exhausted just reading all about it! But I'm so glad to hear that you had a great time in NYC. (It truly is an amazing city that I tend to take for granted.) I certainly am looking forward to connecting with you on your next trip here. And, btw, on the next trip you should not only cross the Brooklyn Bridge, you MUST also spend some time in our great borough! :)

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

Oh my goodness, my friend! I already pretty much knew what you did each day, but reading it here makes your days seem even more jam packed with activities! Good for you! So glad you had a great visit. We're very much looking forward to seeing you again next month!!! hugs and kisses to you from us!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Celeste....when I was riding all around Brooklyn that is when I got the flat. I was off of Pierpont ( spelling?). I absolutely love the area. So pretty and all the gardens. I stopped and talked to several gardeners while I was riding around. You are lucky to live somewhere so nice.

Robin HEY !! I have called DB and begged to come back Aug 5-12 will keep you posted. I did get a LOT of fun from a few $$$. c

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I'm wishing I had a glass of that rose champagne right now, or even a glass of that yummy white wine...would be just the thing after a hot day like today!!!

PS tell your DB we loved Henry!

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just had a great alfresco dinner with DH on the porch after I got home from the YellowHammer. We had a Parker Sonoma white....grapefruit flavors...the wines I bought at the Green Market are WONDERFUL. I am planning on having some shipped to GA as that is OK legally...my DD will accept them at her address . I will tell DB you loved Buddy :)....the cat ?? Can't stop telling DS1 how great NYC food scene is....he is sold...now to get time off to bring him. c

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Sounds like a great trip. I think you did more in NYC your 2 weeks there than I've done in my entire life, and I live in NJ. Hopefully I can meet you all for the next GW get together.

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

oops--hope Buddy won't be insulted that I messed up his name!!!!

Was thinking of you yesterday (lugging those wine bottles around all afternoon!). We picked up a bottle of red (a Gamay Noir?) at our local farmer's mkt (from a winery about 1/2 hr or so north of us). I'll let you know how it is when we drink it!

• rgillman
    15 years ago

Wow, Caroline!! I, too, am exhausted reading about your jam-packed schedule. What a fabulous 14 days! Oh, to live in the City instead of in NJ where it is a pain in the butt to get in there, esp. during the week.

Ditto what Marthavila says about Brooklyn. My kids live in Prospect Heights/Park Slope and I would kill to live there.
    Keep us posted on your next trip and hope to see you in Aug.
    R.

• User
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Will know by tomorrow when/if I can get back in August....hope to see you Rayna and your DH and Celeste too and all the others that we have yet to meet and the returning oldies too !! It is such a renewing experience to see you all .

Yep Buddy will forgive you if you bring fresh...FISH !! Haha Robin...We finished the whites from Albany Road at dinner tonight with DS1 and DIL. Very very nice. Let me know what yours is like. c

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

It was nice--very light, but nice for summer (and we chilled it a little as recommended by person selling it which made it IMO!).

He can have a can of tuna, but the fresh stuff is for me!!!